• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

LaneDS

Crickets in this thread this weekend!

Finished PAP upper today (should have done it yesterday) and with that, X2 is complete.

Might do an extra week of PAP and then will dive into Insanity (most likely) or some hybrid X/X2/Insanity deal. I'd like to really focus on losing the fat around the chest and stomach, and I think Insanity will be my best bet.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
At the beach this weekend. Staying at a B&B has made working out pretty much impossible. My 4 year old has woken me up at 7 each day, then it's coffee service at 8, shower, breakfast at 9, then our day begins. Spent the entire day on the beach on Saturday and a good chunk of it today. Early to bed for the boy and no workout room at the inn, so no place to work out at night. Oh well, it's only 3 days (Friday was a rest day anyway).

Back to Asylum on Tuesday morning!

nickcv

and the second week is gone!

i can't wait to get to week four to take the second batch of pictures and see the actual difference...

Going to start Power 90 today. Wasn't going to, but after eating a Double Big Mac at 1:00am and waking up feeling like I do right now, I feel that it's time to get control over things.

I'm definitely not using the band that came with P90; I just know that I will be the guy that loses an eye after they snap. Also, I'm replacing the soundtrack with this instead.

I have roughly 60, maybe 70 pounds to lose, so I'm looking at doing P90X eventually.

LaneDS

Going to start Power 90 today. Wasn't going to, but after eating a Double Big Mac at 1:00am and waking up feeling like I do right now, I feel that it's time to get control over things.

I'm definitely not using the band that came with P90; I just know that I will be the guy that loses an eye after they snap. Also, I'm replacing the soundtrack with this instead.

I have roughly 60, maybe 70 pounds to lose, so I'm looking at doing P90X eventually.

Good luck! P90 seems to be a great start for people. The more focused you can be on diet the easier time you'll have with losing the bulk of that excess weight, but the exercise will help the process and benefit you in ways beyond simply losing the weight, so yeah, good on you for starting up and this thread is here for you to keep you motivated.

deadlast

Crickets in this thread this weekend!

Finished PAP upper today (should have done it yesterday) and with that, X2 is complete.

Might do an extra week of PAP and then will dive into Insanity (most likely) or some hybrid X/X2/Insanity deal. I'd like to really focus on losing the fat around the chest and stomach, and I think Insanity will be my best bet.

Congrats. How are the PAPs? Can someone just jump right into them without doing phase 1 or 2?

Good luck! P90 seems to be a great start for people. The more focused you can be on diet the easier time you'll have with losing the bulk of that excess weight, but the exercise will help the process and benefit you in ways beyond simply losing the weight, so yeah, good on you for starting up and this thread is here for you to keep you motivated.

Thanks for the encouragement. I just finished the first workout (Sculpt 1-2) and I definitely feel like it was the best starting point for me. I feel nauseated, but I'm guessing that's because I didn't drink enough water before starting.

As for the diet, I'm trying to keep it relatively simple for now. The main focus is going to be on keeping below 1800 calories, cutting out fast food/junk completely, and drinking only water.

Carlisle

Seems like a really good weight for that height! I'm only 5'8" and sitting around 186 lbs (started at 204 six months back). Did you want mass more than weight loss? What will you be aiming for with your classic round?

My roommate/unwilling photographer is away for a bit so I took some day 180 photos of myself and uploaded them into my progress album:

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/LaneDS/P90X/

Not sure I'm really seeing many changes there (from a month ago) but I'll ask him to take some shot maybe tomorrow to get a more proper comparison. I am still procrastinating PAP upper, so maybe that album should be called day 179.

Awesome! Really inspiring stuff, thanks for sharing. I wish I had a progress album that detailed so I could really see how far I've come. Not that I'm doubting, the results are pretty obvious. It would just be cool to see before and afters like that, and the progression in between. When I start Classic up, I'm going to document much more thoroughly.

Anyway, I took some measurements yesterday, and I found stats from the last time I took measurements a while back. The differences are pretty awesome. I took a lot of measurements, but here are a few of the stand out ones. For reference, again, I'm 6'3".

Weight: 210 lbs --> 198 lbs
Waist (Navel): 36.5" --> 32.75"
Bicep: 12" --> 14"
Body Fat: 19% --> 10.3%

drspeedy

Good on you, man! Good advice in the thread, everyone here is 100% positive energy, it's great. That track you linked is just BEGGING for a montage, make sure you take vids and pics!

Protip: Definitely drink plenty of water, but also follow the guidelines and eat every 3-4 hours, even if it's a small amount of almonds or other healthy snack... once you get used to eating smaller meals more often it definitely keeps you from slipping (which is probably just salty carbs if you're like me). You'll quickly notice how your body responds better to the exercises on a plan like P90/P90X.

KingGondo

Banned
Down to 202 lbs. or so from 220 at the beginning of the program.

I start Phase 3 this week (Doubles) and I'm looking forward to breaking through the 200 lb. barrier soon! 190 is my goal, but I'm happy with anything below 200.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
First week of P90X/X2 hybrid. I might do some before shots soon, they can also serve as after shots for P90X2 and Insanity.

Still have about 15 lbs to lose. Hopefully this does it.

LaneDS

Awesome! Really inspiring stuff, thanks for sharing. I wish I had a progress album that detailed so I could really see how far I've come. Not that I'm doubting, the results are pretty obvious. It would just be cool to see before and afters like that, and the progression in between. When I start Classic up, I'm going to document much more thoroughly.

Anyway, I took some measurements yesterday, and I found stats from the last time I took measurements a while back. The differences are pretty awesome. I took a lot of measurements, but here are a few of the stand out ones. For reference, again, I'm 6'3".

Weight: 210 lbs --> 198 lbs
Waist (Navel): 36.5" --> 32.75"
Bicep: 12" --> 14"
Body Fat: 19% --> 10.3%

Damn! Nearly 10% body fat lost is pretty incredible... are you at or near the six pack semi-shredded look? I imagine at a percentage that low you have to be close if you're not there yet. Great results, and thank you for the comments as well sir.

Congrats. How are the PAPs? Can someone just jump right into them without doing phase 1 or 2?

PAP workouts are incredibly brutal but I am not sure simply doing phase 1 and phase 2 would make them any less brutal, so if you're curious and can give them a try one day I don't see any reason you shouldn't.

Also, thanks!

Down to 202 lbs. or so from 220 at the beginning of the program.

I start Phase 3 this week (Doubles) and I'm looking forward to breaking through the 200 lb. barrier soon! 190 is my goal, but I'm happy with anything below 200.

That 200 barrier is going to feel awesome to cross, and great work sticking with it man.

Thanks for the encouragement. I just finished the first workout (Sculpt 1-2) and I definitely feel like it was the best starting point for me. I feel nauseated, but I'm guessing that's because I didn't drink enough water before starting.

As for the diet, I'm trying to keep it relatively simple for now. The main focus is going to be on keeping below 1800 calories, cutting out fast food/junk completely, and drinking only water.

For me diet has taken and continues to take the most work, and I have to make changes iteratively... usually when I try to outright cut something from my diet completely I end up failing, so I have to slowly work at improving it. I know I get the best results when I'm strict about diet though, so for the next six months that's going to be my main thing to work on.

How tall are you, and how much do you weigh now? 1800 calories is probably a healthy number to shoot for unless you're like nine feet tall, in which case that is awesome.

First week of P90X/X2 hybrid. I might do some before shots soon, they can also serve as after shots for P90X2 and Insanity.

Still have about 15 lbs to lose. Hopefully this does it.

Did you break that 200 lb barrier? I know you've been close for a while. 185 has similarly eluded me for a few months now.

Also, could you please add me to the X2 grad list when you have a moment?

LaneDS

Lane! How goes your diet following?

nekura! It goes... better? I think I ate healthy all last week, cheated a bit yesterday, and have been good today. Started bringing my lunch to work, both for health and wallet reasons, so I'm going to try and keep a strong focus on diet for the next six months. I've also decided to start Insanity next week just to see how that goes (did PAP lower today and will try to stick to a week of PAP but will give myself some leeway).

Also asked the roommate to snap proper final X2 progress shots and, eh, not really thrilled with my progress from 90 days ago, but there is some visual improvement at least:

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/LaneDS/P90X/Day 180/

Anyway, how is your lifting progress going? Especially compared to your P90X progress.

Carlisle

Damn! Nearly 10% body fat lost is pretty incredible... are you at or near the six pack semi-shredded look? I imagine at a percentage that low you have to be close if you're not there yet. Great results, and thank you for the comments as well sir.
That's the thing though, not really. I mean I am seeing definition where I never had before, especially around the sides/obliques. Maybe a faint outline around where the top two "packs" would be as well, but nothing I'd call shredded (my chest/shoulders developed pretty nicely though). I still have this narrow band of fat (or maybe it's skin?) from my navel to a couple inches below that's just hanging tough. It has shrunk since I started but it's still there. It looks like thats the main place where I store my body fat. Either that or I'm estimating my % wrong, I used multiple online calculators and averaged it out though.

But going by my numbers, 10% fat at 198lbs means around 20 lbs of fat. Coming down from nearly twice that percentage, I can estimate I've burned off 20lbs of fat since I started (which sounds insane to me). Considering I had an overall weight loss of 12 lbs, I can estimate a gain of 8 lbs of muscle. 10% body fat does sound too good for what I'm seeing. I mean I've got a good build, but there's certainly room for improvement, hence my wanting to do P90X again with a stricter diet.

Not sure what to make of it all since this part of measuring and comparing and calculating is pretty new to me, but I guess I'll see as time goes on.

LaneDS

That's the thing though, not really. I mean I am seeing definition where I never had before, especially around the sides/obliques. Maybe a faint outline around where the top two "packs" would be as well, but nothing I'd call shredded (my chest/shoulders developed pretty nicely though). I still have this narrow band of fat (or maybe it's skin?) from my navel to a couple inches below that's just hanging tough. It has shrunk since I started but it's still there. It looks like thats the main place where I store my body fat. Either that or I'm estimating my % wrong, I used multiple online calculators and averaged it out though.

But going by my numbers, 10% fat at 198lbs means around 20 lbs of fat. Coming down from nearly twice that percentage, I can estimate I've burned off 20lbs of fat since I started (which sounds insane to me). Considering I had an overall weight loss of 12 lbs, I can estimate a gain of 8 lbs of muscle. 10% body fat does sound too good for what I'm seeing. I mean I've got a good build, but there's certainly room for improvement, hence my wanting to do P90X again with a stricter diet.

Not sure what to make of it all since this part of measuring and comparing and calculating is pretty new to me, but I guess I'll see as time goes on.

If I had to guess, it's probably the calculators giving you an inaccurate reading of your BF% since most methods are (as I understand it) pretty hard to depend on. But with that said, you clearly are making progress. Not that a visual reading can really tell you the answer, but I'd post current physique pictures here and in the fitness thread and see if people can help guesstimate (Chrome says that is actually a word, how about that?) your BF%.

Either way, continued good luck! I still am a firm believer that hard work, strict diet, and the right motivation can get each and every one of us in here where we want to be physically.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Did you break that 200 lb barrier? I know you've been close for a while. 185 has similarly eluded me for a few months now.

Also, could you please add me to the X2 grad list when you have a moment?

Not yet. At 205 as of this morning. PAX did not help. :p
Added you to the list.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Thanks man. Just ate free pizza and cookies at work, so I know that feel. Diet is the worst!

I'm changing to a more Keto approach and really smashing down the carbs now. Figure I'll still have cheat meals on weekends though, but under 20 carbs per day during the week should help.

Started the hybrid program yesterday, my arms hurt. Plyocide today. *Dies*

OG Kush

Guys, I need to move on from Ab Ripper X. I can do all the moves, even the "harder" versions, all fine. Still break a sweat but my abs need something tougher now. Any recommendations?

drspeedy

Guys, I need to move on from Ab Ripper X. I can do all the moves, even the "harder" versions, all fine. Still break a sweat but my abs need something tougher now. Any recommendations?

Insane or Cardio Abs? Way different than ARX, you'll be sweatin'...

Ixian

Free! No money! Maximum delicious!

(Yes I am the worst. Doing PAP upper tonight and bringing it and thinking of all those carbs as fuel for what's ahead.)
You need to stick with a diet with no cheat meals for at least a few weeks so that you feel like a tremendous asshole for breaking habit and even considering cheating. :) Easier said than done, of course.

LaneDS

You need to stick with a diet with no cheat meals for at least a few weeks so that you feel like a tremendous asshole for breaking habit and even considering cheating. :) Easier said than done, of course.

Oh don't worry, I have the feel like a tremendous asshole thing down pat! But you're right. Back on the wagon. I think I need to tell myself the one cheat meal a week (I typo'd "weak"... accurate) is just not a good idea. In my defense, I resisted the free food until someone literally brought it six floors down to where I work, and my packed lunch didn't cut it.

Anyway, excuse making will get me nowhere, so I will at least work hard tonight.

Oh don't worry, I have the feel like a tremendous asshole thing down pat! But you're right. Back on the wagon. I think I need to tell myself the one cheat meal a week (I typo'd "weak"... accurate) is just not a good idea. In my defense, I resisted the free food until someone literally brought it six floors down to where I work, and my packed lunch didn't cut it.

Anyway, excuse making will get me nowhere, so I will at least work hard tonight.

I challenge you one cheat meal per month. Make the cheat meal truly an exception. Give it to me! :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have to have cheat meals. I'm a huge foodie and always told myself that I would work out and watch my diet, but would never tell myself that I can't have something I want to try or make food-wise.

So far it is working well. Just need to get a bit more strict on the 1-2 cheat meals a week thing.

It's one of those things that one has to try...like the workouts themselves, no matter how impossible it seems. Results are there for you to grab

Its always easier said than done but I think you guys can do it

LaneDS

I challenge you one cheat meal per month. Make the cheat meal truly an exception. Give it to me! :)

I accept your challenge. I'm starting it next Monday though, along with Insanity day one; I think that'll be a fair compromise and the timing is good.

30 days of bringing... er, digging deeper, plus 30 days of clean eating should really do wonders for my goals, so I like that challenge a lot. Good call!

GCNemesis

Been fairly busy, but I've kept things up and am into my second week of Phase 2 of my P90X/X2 hybrid and so far so good. Can't say I'm adhering to a strict diet per se, but I am definitely watching what I eat and since I've tracked my calories in previous programs, I can roughly estimate where I'm at. Still floating around 200, but having purchased a 50-LB adjustable dumbbell, a pull-up tower and doing the P90X strength routines (I feel like I impact my muscles more in X then X2 strength routines), I feel like I'm gaining muscle, so that's a plus.

My biggest thing moving forward in doing these exercises in the long-term is finding a comfortable but still challenging balance between my diet and exercise. Being able to enjoy life and perhaps neglecting my diet or exercise once in a while is important to me and I can't see myself adhering to something so strict as I have done previously. I feel a slow decent into where I want to be physically provides an overall better quality of life, but everyone is different.

With all that said, I'm still going to keep at it and it's awesome to see everyone still bringing it. Congrats to those that have finished!

Oh and FOOTE, that's an interesting protein bar recipe, I'll have to try it out and compare it to my recipe!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Btw guys I have been trying the Tony Horton Kitchen. Expensive even with 25 percent off but the food is damn good. No joke.

If I were single I would try it. But feeding a family of 3 on that stuff is cost prohibitive. And I don't want to eat a different dinner from everyone else. My wife & I eat fairly low carb anyway so it's all good.

Damn, that's nice. Can you take a couple pics of whatever you received? I'd like to hijack the recipes. lol

Sure I will :) like P90X they don't kid around with variety, so I can't complain

If I were single I would try it. But feeding a family of 3 on that stuff is cost prohibitive. And I don't want to eat a different dinner from everyone else. My wife & I eat fairly low carb anyway so it's all good.

I hear ya. I'm single, although by doing this I am kind of throwing away the whole being single and cost effective at this point.

Sounds good. You quoted me before my edit. Anything interesting done with quinoa or is it usually just served as a side?

Can't tell yet since its for dinner tonight and it's hidden at the bottom of the package . What I can say is generally everything is packaged together so nothing is on the side.

McMpZ.jpg

yhNvp.jpg

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
P90X app free right now on iTunes.

The app is not without its limitations, but I used it throughout P90X and it works fine. I miss it now that I'm doing Asylum.

Apparently Beachbody is working on a new app that'll support all of their programs. There's been discussion on the TBB forums.

LaneDS

Damn that looks good.

It does look pretty good, but my wallet isn't down for THK.

And yeah, the P90X app (which I paid for $5) basically ended up being my "which day am I on?" timer, even for X2 which it doesn't support (I just started a second regular P90X program and let it run). For free it is of course a no brainer.

Is it frozen or refrigerated? I'm a little underwhelmed. Looks soggy and scabby. For the price I guessed it would look better. As long as it tastes good I suppose.

I also find it annoying that they put organic in front of every ingredient. We get it.

This was supposed to be my first recovery week of my P90X/Insanity hybrid.

Darn birthday season. Did my light cheat weekend, but Monday was my birthday, so my office mates went all out with the carbs.

Between that and celebrating, have not worked out this week, but at least the diet is back on track. I am travelling to Miami this weekend, so instead of my recovery week, I only have time to squeeze in one workout today. I am chosing Insanity Power and Resistance, and Ab Ripper X.

With that said, 30 days in, I have lost 5 pounds, but have noticeably gained in muscle, so I go by how I look like. Feels good to already getting comments on how much weight I've lost (even if the pounds don't show).

The next 30 days will be P90X phase 2, and the MAX Insanity workouts. Will be killer.

Is it frozen or refrigerated? I'm a little underwhelmed. Looks soggy and scabby. For the price I guessed it would look better. As long as it tastes good I suppose.

I also find it annoying that they put organic in front of every ingredient. We get it.

haha

refrigerated. Maybe I am doing it wrong but I find it hard to avoid being soggy because of the micowave

The taste is really what makes the difference despite of being microwaved

KingGondo

Banned
Neither of those meals would be hard to replicate with groceries and some kitchen experimentation.

I get the convenience factor, but cooking is one of life's joys!

Top Bottom