• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
i can't use milk with protein powder. and water is gross. is any other substitute i can mix with it? i have a strawberry banana flavor. and it does taste good with milk but i break out so i can't use that anymore.
Lactose-free milk (not sure what your allergy to regular milk is related to, so this may or may not work), almond milk, soy milk, etc. They should all work fine.

Speaking of protein powder, I tried a new flavor of Optimum Nutrition: Vanilla Ice Cream. It sucks, ugh — so bland. Nowhere near as good as the French Vanilla Creme. Oh well, you win some, you lose some; I'll be less adventurous in the future, I guess. It's probably a good choice to mix into other stuff, as it wouldn't overpower other ingredients, but in milk it's just not good enough.

anyone else play a sport once a week while doing p90x? I had hockey on Saturday and it floored me for two days. should i go ahead and drop a routine like kenpo which falls on the same day?

LaneDS

i can't use milk with protein powder. and water is gross. is any other substitute i can mix with it? i have a strawberry banana flavor. and it does taste good with milk but i break out so i can't use that anymore.

Does almond milk work? Lactose-free milk? I switched to the latter because regular milk apparently now makes me into a fart machine, which apparently other people don't like so much (me, I think it's hilarious! ...except on dates).

PAP upper suitably destroyed/destroyed me tonight. Love/hate that one.

Lactose-free milk (not sure what your allergy to regular milk is related to, so this may or may not work), almond milk, soy milk, etc. They should all work fine.

Speaking of protein powder, I tried a new flavor of Optimum Nutrition: Vanilla Ice Cream. It sucks, ugh — so bland. Nowhere near as good as the French Vanilla Creme. Oh well, you win some, you lose some; I'll be less adventurous in the future, I guess. It's probably a good choice to mix into other stuff, as it wouldn't overpower other ingredients, but in milk it's just not good enough.

Don't you love finding out a protein powder sucks and then having to get through 1, 2, or 5 lbs of it? Ugh.

anyone else play a sport once a week while doing p90x? I had hockey on Saturday and it floored me for two days. should i go ahead and drop a routine like kenpo which falls on the same day?

I think hockey in place of kenpo seems like a plenty fair trade off.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Yes. Overtraining won't give you better results. Instead, it might set you back.

deadlast

I have Jiu Jitsu on Thursdays, so I don't do any p90x workouts Wednesday - Friday. I need to make sure my body isn't over worked and that I have time to recover.

tch

I've been climbing about times a week as of recently and have trouble scheduling around it. Right now I'm trying to not do it on back days (bc of the pull-ups,) but is it even a good idea to do it on non-resistance days? I'm open to any suggestion as I've been thinking a lot about this.

I have Jiu Jitsu on Thursdays, so I don't do any p90x workouts Wednesday - Friday. I need to make sure my body isn't over worked and that I have time to recover.

So do you just spread out a week of p90x over like two weeks?

One more thing, I haven't been following the diet exactly by the book but I am eating clean and high protein. As I am in phase 3, and in the future, should I increase my carb intake and decrease my protein? I read this in the diet guide and now am a little confused. I've shed a few pounds, and would like to keep it similar as I gain muscle over time.

nickcv

hey guys, thanks for the advises about yoga!

i didn't have time to post in the last few days because of a death in the family.

anyhow i didn't stop working out.

day 5 (legs and back) was just fine, i didn't have any problem with it, and day 6 was just amazing: i love, love, love kenpo.

yesterday i started my second week, and i think i had an overall improvement: i managed to do many more push ups and i increased the weight as well.

the only weird thing is that i'm not feeling as much sore as i did last week. I still feel a little burn in my pecs right now, but nothing even remotely comparable to last week.

deadlast

So do you just spread out a week of p90x over like two weeks?

The sad thing is, I am still trying to figure out what will work best for me and what will get me where I want to be. Once I figure out what works best for me, I will post my hybrid doubles routine.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
the only weird thing is that i'm not feeling as much sore as i did last week. I still feel a little burn in my pecs right now, but nothing even remotely comparable to last week.
This is normal, so don't worry about it. You'll typically only experience significant soreness after exercising for the first time in a while, working out a new part of your body, or doing a new routine entirely. Your body gets used to the stress you're putting on it really quickly.

Does anybody else immediately get knocked out of the calm awesome mood Yoga X puts them in when the stupid BeachBody ad plays as soon as it's over?

Ixian

A few months ago I was looking at foam rollers in the Amazon iPad app. Fast forward to last week, I decided to use the app again, saw the foam roller I was eyeing before, and decided to buy it.

Wow, these things are awesome! Used it pre-workout, between squat sets, and post-workout and came out feeling amazing. Highly recommend getting one to all of you folks who didn't already pick one up for P90X2.

Does anybody else immediately get knocked out of the calm awesome mood Yoga X puts them in when the stupid BeachBody ad plays as soon as it's over?

yup. i wish the dvd ended at the point when you go into corpse. most of the time i feel like I could fall asleep at that point.

totally natural. stopped getting sore around the first few weeks. I actually miss it.

LaneDS

Any X2 folks find that yoga on day 3 of phase 3 (following PAP lower and upper) is absolute murder? I just have nothing in the tank and three weeks in a row I've consistently underperformed and was curious if anyone else found that those first two PAP days wiped them out like this.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Any X2 folks find that yoga on day 3 of phase 3 (following PAP lower and upper) is absolute murder? I just have nothing in the tank and three weeks in a row I've consistently underperformed and was curious if anyone else found that those first two PAP days wiped them out like this.

Well I'm skipping Yoga the first round of X2. It may be a "rest day" for fit people, but I find that it's like picking at a wound for people starting out.

FOOTE

Finished week 5 of X2 this morning. Going to decide tomorrow night if I need to start a rest week or if I can go one more week without it. It's getting a little harder to wake up within a time limit that is comfortable to workout and not be rushed out the door right after. A rest week should fix that, but I think I'm leaning towards putting it off another week.

When I do rest, I'm going to be running a lot. I have a 10k coming up that I still haven't actually started to train for.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
You have a 10k? Nice. Your P90X2 training will help a lot for that race, specially Plyocide or PAP Lower.

My 10K is November 11 (the Nike "We Run" Race)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Going to the beach this weekend, so I scheduled a 4-day gap in Asylum. I am bringing Yoga X, Insanity Fast & Furious and good ol' Fat Burner Express from P90 with me. Asylum resumes on Tuesday.

First four days of Asylum went well. I am not skilled with some of the moves in Vertical Plyo. But I suppose that'll come with practice. I can already feel my core and leg tightening up, even after just 4 days. This is one hell of a workout program.

Espresso

Banned
How much weight do you guys use during resistance workouts (dumb bells)? I'm roughly halfway through P90X and I'm still using the same weight that I started with. Is it normal to not feel like I'm ready for more weight? I figured by now I'd be up 5 pounds at least.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
How much weight do you guys use during resistance workouts (dumb bells)? I'm roughly halfway through P90X and I'm still using the same weight that I started with. Is it normal to not feel like I'm ready for more weight? I figured by now I'd be up 5 pounds at least.

Well, what I did is what Tony recommends -- I aimed for 8-10 reps, with the last 3 being really tough. Once I could do 10 reps, the next time I'd raise the weight. If 6, 7 and 8 aren't a struggle when you first start with a weight, it's too light.

If you're going for toning rather than strength/size, change the number to 12-15 reps, but the rest still applies.

But really the key is that you need to be feeling it in those last few reps.

As far as the specific weights I ended up at, it depended on the exercise. I was using 45lbs each for heavy pants & lawnmowers; 35s for calf raises; 20-25 for most of the curls (although I did try starting with 30s on the strip sets the last couple times); etc.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, what I did is what Tony recommends -- I aimed for 8-10 reps, with the last 3 being really tough. Once I could do 10 reps, the next time I'd raise the weight. If 6, 7 and 8 aren't a struggle when you first start with a weight, it's too light.

If you're going for toning rather than strength/size, change the number to 12-15 reps, but the rest still applies.

As far as the specific weights I ended up at, it depended on the exercise. I was using 45lbs each for heavy pants & lawnmowers; 35s for calf raises; 20-25 for most of the curls (although I did try starting with 30s on the strip sets the last couple times); etc.
Hey, those are my numbers too!

Doesn't Tony say something about using 90-100 lbs for lawnmowers? O.O

Espresso

Banned

Thanks a lot for the info, much appreciated!

Damn. Tony's a beast.

vatstep

Going to the beach this weekend, so I scheduled a 4-day gap in Asylum. I am bringing Yoga X, Insanity Fast & Furious and good ol' Fat Burner Express from P90 with me. Asylum resumes on Tuesday.

First four days of Asylum went well. I am not skilled with some of the moves in Vertical Plyo. But I suppose that'll come with practice. I can already feel my core and leg tightening up, even after just 4 days. This is one hell of a workout program.
I sometimes do this workout first thing in the morning on my rest day. It's certainly not very difficult, but it's quick, fun and a good way to wake up and get going. The best thing about it is how almost all of the moves can be modified to be more intense if you're so inclined. Good stuff.

I think more people would up the weight on lawnmowers but I bet 50+ dumbbells are rare for people doing p90x at home. even if i had enough weight they wouldn't fit on my spinlock bars.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Tony said on his latest chat that he wants people to demand a full Yoga program from Beachbody.

I'd buy a Tony Yoga program in a heartbeat.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think more people would up the weight on lawnmowers but I bet 50+ dumbbells are rare for people doing p90x at home. even if i had enough weight they wouldn't fit on my spinlock bars.
I can hit 50 for them max. But I usually don't, though I can get a few solid reps that way.

nickcv

yesterday was the 10th day! second day of arms and shoulders!
i could actually increment the weight, and everything went just fine, but for the time when the elastic slipped from under my foot and slammed on my back XD

it didn't hurt much fortunately.

That would be a really awesome program, especially for people who might not have the time/energy to do a full resistance workout

i must be the only one who find yoga harder then any resistance workout XD

PKrockin

^ I hear ya. Yoga is actually the hardest workout for me, besides Plyo.

At this point I don't think it's possible for me to do this program uninterrupted in my line of work. 84 hours a week, travel, and a random amount of work to do each day means I'm wiped out two days out of the week on average. I'll just start the program and forget about my missed days. I would really like to do the 90 days continuously but better to do it at my own pace than not at all I guess.

LaneDS

I'd definitely be interested in more yoga workouts from Tony & co. but I'd be interested in more workouts to choose from, yoga or otherwise, period.

Two days away from my six month milestone, and I'm pretty excited. For every bit last week was bad about diet, this week has been good.

Insanity to hopefully shed some excess fat (still plenty around the stomach/pecs/thighs) followed by another round of P90X1 to bring in 2013 should be a good plan, I'm thinking (might do an X1/X2/Insanity hybrid instead, but muscle gain will be the objective if I can lose as much fat weight as I'd like in the two month Insanity period).

yesterday was the 10th day! second day of arms and shoulders!
i could actually increment the weight, and everything went just fine, but for the time when the elastic slipped from under my foot and slammed on my back XD

it didn't hurt much fortunately.

i must be the only one who find yoga harder then any resistance workout XD

I'll never understand how you guys can trust those elastic bands. so brave
i recommend
safety-face-shield-34299-2279821.jpg

and about the yoga I would have rated it either #1 or #2 beside plyo when I first started the program. now, it has fallen behind due to the fact that you can really get into plyo with higher jumps and faster moves. yoga pretty much stays the same

Posting my weight and BF% at the start of each week so you guys can keep me accountable. I weigh myself after going to the restroom first thing in the morning on a scale that measures BF%. Don't know if you should weigh yourself before and after, but I'm doing it after to keep things consistent. The only other thing I will mention is that I'm taking Creatine supplements which may or may not be throwing off the numbers a bit. Here's how I'm doing so far:

Week 1 151.2lbs 12.5%
Week 2 149.4lbs 12.3%

LaneDS

Posting for accountability's sake... have sat at my PC in gym clothes for 30 minutes, exhausted, after work. Going to bust out PAP lower (uggghhhh) and then report back.

Edit: Did about half and then bailed. Better than nothing I guess.

NoRéN

Need some tips everyone.

Health issues arose again. Had to be on IV for a while and let's just say I plumped up. I know it's water weight, or similar, so am wondering if there is anything different I should be doing to lose this weight or should I proceed to start my routine over and watch the weight drip away? Any good foods to try to help facilitate this?

tch

Posting for accountability's sake... have sat at my PC in gym clothes for 30 minutes, exhausted, after work. Going to bust out PAP lower (uggghhhh) and then report back.

Edit: Did about half and then bailed. Better than nothing I guess.

I know that feel. Just got back from climbing for about two hours and am supposed to do Kenpo. I realize that PAP lower is probably significantly more difficult but still. No energy

LaneDS

I know that feel. Just got back from climbing for about two hours and am supposed to do Kenpo. I realize that PAP lower is probably significantly more difficult but still. No energy

Hah, at least you went climbing! I should just up and try one of the indoor climbing places around here since that sounds awesome (and challenging). And PAP lower is definitely harder than kenpo but both of course depend on how much intensity you throw at them... I sort of phoned in my 30 minutes of PAP tonight and it wasn't awful. Good luck if you are going to try (or are already trying) kenpo!

I will dominate PAP upper tomorrow (and might even do the second half of lower too, since tomorrow closes out X2 and six months of P90X!).

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Where would you guys rank Total Body in the X/X2 ranking?

It's quickly becoming one of my favorite workouts. The combo of Total Body + X2 Ab Ripper is a monster.

FOOTE

Came in the mail today.

Ready as phuck!

Awesome. Two things.

Show up for the scheduled workout everyday, and follow the nutrition plan(If getting as ripped as you can is your goal). It's hard work, but you will see the results you want if you do those two things.

Push play.

Do your best.

Eat well.

Hard work. Simple plan.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Awesome. Two things.

Show up for the scheduled workout everyday, and follow the nutrition plan(If getting as ripped as you can is your goal). It's hard work, but you will see the results you want if you do those two things.

Push play.

Do your best.

Eat well.

Hard work. Simple plan.

PWNED.

Carlisle

Graduation Day! As of about an hour ago when I finished my last Yoga X, I'm a P90X Grad! Feels so good, and I feel incredibly accomplished. Just looking back at how long I've been at it, it's crazy to realize. I did Lean, gonna take a couple weeks off of the videos and then come back with Classic in October!

NoRéN;42139162 said:
Need some tips everyone.

Health issues arose again. Had to be on IV for a while and let's just say I plumped up. I know it's water weight, or similar, so am wondering if there is anything different I should be doing to lose this weight or should I proceed to start my routine over and watch the weight drip away? Any good foods to try to help facilitate this?

As for water weight/IV, I can't really say since this sounds very much medically related. It'd be a good idea to ask your doctor. But as routine wise, to be honest, it's up to you and how you feel. I don't necessarily think you need to start over - you need to an extra phase or week or whatnot. It's creating and maintaining the new lifestyle that counts

Hope this helps!

LaneDS

Graduation Day! As of about an hour ago when I finished my last Yoga X, I'm a P90X Grad! Feels so good, and I feel incredibly accomplished. Just looking back at how long I've been at it, it's crazy to realize. I did Lean, gonna take a couple weeks off of the videos and then come back with Classic in October!

Congrats man! Post some results stats or photos if you can and feel up for it, and we'll welcome you back two weeks from now.

Came in the mail today.

Ready as phuck!

Awesome! FOOTE's post is pretty much what I would want to impart on someone starting off, but good luck and work hard and enjoy your hard work and results.

Where would you guys rank Total Body in the X/X2 ranking?

It's quickly becoming one of my favorite workouts. The combo of Total Body + X2 Ab Ripper is a monster.

Love Total Body... first time I did it, it took me over two hours I think and I went through two whole containers of water (it is unusual if I usually finish one in a workout... so that gives some indication of how much it took out of me).

Carlisle

Congrats man! Post some results stats or photos if you can and feel up for it, and we'll welcome you back two weeks from now.
Thanks! Yeah, I'm thinking about posting some results photos. But regretfully I didn't take any before pics so there's no real frame of reference. Don't necessarily need one though so we'll see. Stats-wise, I've got some older measurements around somewhere so I'll take some new ones and compare.

But off the top of my head, even though I've visibly gained a good amount of muscle mass that I've never had before, my net weight dropped around 12lbs over the course of the 90 days. So I'm down under 200lbs now at 6'3". I wasn't really overweight when I started, just a little "loose in the cage," which makes me think I had a good deal more body fat stored up than I thought. So I'm pretty eager to take new measurements and get a new fat % estimate. But I'll wait until tomorrow for those because even though the exercises are done, I still technically have one more Rest/X Stretch day to recover with.

LaneDS

Thanks! Yeah, I'm thinking about posting some results photos. But regretfully I didn't take any before pics so there's no real frame of reference. Don't necessarily need one though so we'll see. Stats-wise, I've got some older measurements around somewhere so I'll take some new ones and compare.

But off the top of my head, even though I've visibly gained a good amount of muscle mass that I've never had before, my net weight dropped around 12lbs over the course of the 90 days. So I'm down under 200lbs now at 6'3". I wasn't really overweight when I started, just a little "loose in the cage," which makes me think I had a good deal more body fat stored up than I thought. So I'm pretty eager to take new measurements and get a new fat % estimate. But I'll wait until tomorrow for those because even though the exercises are done, I still technically have one more Rest/X Stretch day to recover with.

Seems like a really good weight for that height! I'm only 5'8" and sitting around 186 lbs (started at 204 six months back). Did you want mass more than weight loss? What will you be aiming for with your classic round?

My roommate/unwilling photographer is away for a bit so I took some day 180 photos of myself and uploaded them into my progress album:

http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/LaneDS/P90X/

Not sure I'm really seeing many changes there (from a month ago) but I'll ask him to take some shot maybe tomorrow to get a more proper comparison. I am still procrastinating PAP upper, so maybe that album should be called day 179.

Top Bottom