• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Ixian

So having done maybe five different Insanity workouts, I think P90X/X2 will be the clear winner for me in terms of what I prefer. I understand the moving fast and not letting up is key to the program, but it means form sort of sucks on a lot of moves the first few times. P90_ seems much better at letting you work through it at your own pace. Maybe after completing the whole 60 days I'll feel differently.
Just like P90X though, there's nothing stopping you from pausing and learning the moves at first. None are so difficult to learn that your heart rate will drop significantly while you work them out, and after a few weeks you'll know them all by name and be doing them as soon as you see the names flash on screen.

PS: Where's that food list!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Just like P90X though, there's nothing stopping you from pausing and learning the moves at first. None are so difficult to learn that your heart rate will drop significantly while you work them out, and after a few weeks you'll know them all by name and be doing them as soon as you see the names flash on screen.

Good point.

Asylum is less about speed & interval conditioning and much, much more about form. Form is everything with Asylum. It's one of the reasons I prefer it over Insanity.

LaneDS

PS: Where's that food list!

Something about how Insanity is setup makes me feel like pausing just isn't an option, but I know you're right. The move that's sort of like pike pushups, but with your fingers facing each other and your elbows out really messed me up, form wise, on yesterday's workout. I feel like slowing down just defeats a lot of the purpose... but I'll try that next time.

Either way, good lord do I sweat a ton doing these. I'd like to see 188.6 go to 170-something by the end of the sixty days, and I think I have a legit shot of making that happen.

Food list!

Lean1 shakes (2-3 scoops + 12-16oz of lactose free skim)
Quest Bars (no more than two in a day)
Eggs
Chicken breast
90-95% lean ground beef patties
Canned tuna
Protein shakes post workout, even for cardio (usually 2 scoops of ON or Syntha-6 + 16oz lactose free skim)
Green leafy vegetables (usually eat a bag or two of raw green beans or snow/sugar snap peas per day)
Occasionally cheese allowed in small amounts
Avoiding processed grains, so no wraps, no bread, no pasta.
Allowing myself diet soda sometimes & coffee + splenda and half and half, but trying to drink more water.

Things I'm not allowing myself:
Sweets, all kinds
Fast food, all kinds
Pizza, Chinese
Booze? Not sure. Not a big drinker, but am going to try and avoid it all the same.

Consider that a rough draft, and I know my food list is pretty boring/limited, but I can get by most days with that. Any feedback is as always appreciated!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Well, you're really not supposed to pause during the Insanity workouts -- you'd practice the moves outside of your normal workout.

Just like the agility ladder and jump rope drills I'm supposed to be doing along with Asylum...

Ixian

Food list!

Eggs
Chicken breast
Canned tuna
Protein shakes post workout, even for cardio (usually 2 scoops of ON or Syntha-6 + 16oz lactose free skim)
Green leafy vegetables (usually eat a bag or two of raw green beans or snow/sugar snap peas per day)
Allowing myself diet soda sometimes & coffee + splenda and half and half, but trying to drink more water.
As someone who's in the camp of macros (ie: carbs/protein/fat counts) being as important as what it is you're putting in your mouth, it's hard to give feedback without knowing quantities and what combinations you eat. Maybe you can post some sample days?

mehdi_san

Food list!

Eggs
Chicken breast
Canned tuna
I know they're full of sugar, but you're planning on not eating any fruits?

LaneDS

Well, you're really not supposed to pause during the Insanity workouts -- you'd practice the moves outside of your normal workout.

Just like the agility ladder and jump rope drills I'm supposed to be doing along with Asylum...

Hopefully I'll get the moves down quickly, but yeah I'll try to scan videos beforehand moving forward. If the apartment I move into next month doesn't have complaining neighbors, I'm going to buy Asylum to try sometime in the next half year.

As someone who's in the camp of macros (ie: carbs/protein/fat counts) being as important as what it is you're putting in your mouth, it's hard to give feedback without knowing quantities and what combinations you eat. Maybe you can post some sample days?

Sample day (and I know this isn't super helpful since I don't have serving sizes or anything, but maybe it's better?):

Breakfast-
14oz skim milk + 3 scoops of Lean1

Lunch-
Bag of snow peas
1 or 2 chicken breasts

Pre-workout afternoon snack-
1 Quest Bar

Post-workout shake-
16 oz skim milk + 2 scoops protein powder (usually ON, sometimes Syntha-6)

Dinner-
1 or 2 chicken breasts
Some vegetable

That's a pretty strict day, but most of my strict days are pretty similar to that (somedays I'll do something in lieu of the chicken, like beef). Some nights I'll be good on just the shake and not eat much else for dinner.

I know they're full of sugar, but you're planning on not eating any fruits?

Certainly not against fruit, I'm just unsure which I should get and which I should avoid. Usually it's berries are good, stuff like bananas are bad, but I would probably enjoy a piece of fruit a day (apples or pears maybe, which I think are generally on the not as good for you list).

Ixian

Sample day (and I know this isn't super helpful since I don't have serving sizes or anything, but maybe it's better?):

That's a pretty strict day, but most of my strict days are pretty similar to that (somedays I'll do something in lieu of the chicken, like beef). Some nights I'll be good on just the shake and not eat much else for dinner.
With all of the chicken breasts, protein powder and protein bar, it seems like you're getting a crazy amount of calories from protein and not much from other sources. I don't think I can comfortably tell you whether or not that's a bad thing, just something I found odd.

As for fruits, I'm a fan of navel oranges and strawberries as I find them both pretty filling, unlike bananas.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
With all of the chicken breasts, protein powder and protein bar, it seems like you're getting a crazy amount of calories from protein and not much from other sources. I don't think I can comfortably tell you whether or not that's a bad thing, just something I found odd.

As for fruits, I'm a fan of navel oranges and strawberries as I find them both pretty filling, unlike bananas.
I think he wants to lose some weight; that looks like a damn solid plan as far as that's concerned to me.

Ixian

I think he wants to lose some weight; that looks like a damn solid plan as far as that's concerned to me.
As his designated diet Sherpa (by the way, I love that, Lane), I know he's trying to lose weight, but it's important not to affect other aspects of your health in the process. For example, fat is good for hormonal regulation. He did mention lean cuts of beef in his food list so he's not totally going without fat, and will probably be okay, but something to consider.

PS Lane: I'd like to introduce you to some of my friends:

Book-Favorite-Products-Franks-Red-Hot-Buffalo-Wing-Sauce.jpg

images

aaaaand chipotle sauce that I can't remember the brand of and thus can't find an image for. I hope they treat you as well as they have treated me!

My energy level and mood seems much better if I have eggs, bacon and mushrooms in the morning (+ multi-vitamins and omega 3 oil... and maybe some kale). But it is terrible if I things without fat in it (especially sugar-laden cereal).

deadlast

Starting P90X Leans tomorrow. Replacing cardio X with plyo, replacing kenpo with Jiu Jitsu classes, and adding running monday - thursday.

Wish me luck

deadlast

Couldn't sleep well last night. So I started my morning with core synergistics at 5 am.
day 1 in the bag.

Edit -
Forgot to add my weight and height
195.3 lbs, 6 ft

LaneDS

Did future Lane write that? Because so far Insanity is the opposite of P90X for me... I do not look forward to it, and I want to die during it. I'm only three days in though!

Oh yeah, and this is day four no cheat meals BM. Weekends are always the tricky part for me.

FOOTE

Did future Lane write that? Because so far Insanity is the opposite of P90X for me... I do not look forward to it, and I want to die during it. I'm only three days in though!

Oh yeah, and this is day four no cheat meals BM. Weekends are always the tricky part for me.

Day 60 is not that far away. I'm pretty sure you'll come in here and write something similar then.

Edit- Just got v sculpt in. Taking a breather before ARX2

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm not finding PAP very difficult. Sure there's a move in each that I cannot do 100%, but much of it is only moderately difficult.

I'm thinking of skipping phase 3 and moving onto a modification of both programs to increase intensity.

I think Base & Base is still the most difficult. I can do all of the reps but damn it is the most efficient way to go from well rested and energetic to beaten up tired in 45 minutes.

drspeedy

Take those breaks when you need to, man. It's amazing how much more you can do after even just a 30 second rest the first 7-10 days- but stick with it! By day 30 I had added one Max Interval a week but it took me about 1.5 times as long to finish the first couple times.

By day 60 I was making it all the way through MI without a stop, and it was an amazing feeling. I added an extra 15 days (basically repeated the last 2 weeks, but added an extra workout in the evenings) to Insanity to keep in shape for a race, and I was surprised how far I could go without struggling.

It's a lot like P90X, once you the moves are familiar and your endurance is up, you can rock it like a mad man.

I3rand0

I'm not finding PAP very difficult. Sure there's a move in each that I cannot do 100%, but much of it is only moderately difficult.

I'm thinking of skipping phase 3 and moving onto a modification of both programs to increase intensity.

I think Base & Base is still the most difficult. I can do all of the reps but damn it is the most efficient way to go from well rested and energetic to beaten up tired in 45 minutes.

Agreed that Base and Back is definitely the hardest workout in the program and I also wasn't big on Phase 3. PAP seems like something that should be in Asylum and not P90X. I don't think it's nearly as good as the Phase 2 workouts (Chest+Back+Balance, Shoulders+Arms+Balance, Back and Base).

I'm back into X2 (Week 7 today) after spraining my shoulder back in the beginning of June and am going to do a modified last 3 weeks with Shoulders and Triceps (the workout I hurt my shoulder on) and V Sculpt after week 9.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Are you "exploding" (jumping through the roof, being as fast as you can, do everything with perfect form) with every single move in PAP?

PAP (Lower & Upper) are workouts that progressively get harder as you get better at them. It's all about pushing yourself to the max, and for that reason I love them. The fact that there are only 8 moves per workout means that you have a lot of time to concentrate on mastering the form.

I wasn't implying you were lazy, don't get the wrong impression.

It's definitely best to listen to your body. I have two rest days/week now that I'm doing doubles 3 days a week.

Oh, I didn't take it that way. Like Mitt Romney, I sometime say things in an inelegant way. :) But yeah, you're right, rest days are just as important as work out days. That week I just happened to need more than usual.

LaneDS

Starting tomorrow!

Best of luck with day one!

Week one of Insanity is finished, but it doesn't really count since I started on day 3 and missed day 4, but I'll make up for it towards the end. More importantly, five days of eating clean without cheat meals completed, surviving the weekend being the big accomplishment there. Not sure I'll have the willpower to go 30, but I'm going to try my best.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Getting ready to do my second Game Day in Asylum. This time I get to do Overtime afterwards. Asylum workouts are usually around 45 minutes. Gameday is about 65, plus another 15 for Overtime. I made some extra MP Assault to sip along with my water...

KingGondo

Banned
Best of luck with day one!

Week one of Insanity is finished, but it doesn't really count since I started on day 3 and missed day 4, but I'll make up for it towards the end. More importantly, five days of eating clean without cheat meals completed, surviving the weekend being the big accomplishment there. Not sure I'll have the willpower to go 30, but I'm going to try my best.
Way to go!

You can do anything for 30 days!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Game Day + Overtime complete. The toughest part of Game Day for me is the second round of agility push-up jacks -- you use two boxes of the agility ladder and do push-up jacks with your feet going in one box, outside the ladder, then in the next box, then back outside & so on. When your feet are inside the box, you do a military/narrow/chaturanga-style pushup; when your feet are outside you do a wide pushup. It's supposed to be one fluid movement. It's tough as nails.

Overtime was also really tough. It starts right in, no warmup, because you're already warmed up after Game Day. It's about 10 minutes with no breaks, getting progressively harder. And then just when you think it's over, surprise! A set of 10 wide pull-ups and 25 push-ups, any form. I actually did really well with both of those.

But yeah, this was a tough, long workout. The good thing about Game Day as compared to the other Asylum workouts is that between "sports" there is generally a short break, and since there are so many "sports" those breaks add up. I didn't feel the need to pause the video at any point today, even switched straight over to Overtime afterwards.

Game Day + Overtime complete. The toughest part of Game Day for me is the second round of agility push-up jacks -- you use two boxes of the agility ladder and do push-up jacks with your feet going in one box, outside the ladder, then in the next box, then back outside & so on. When your feet are inside the box, you do a military/narrow/chaturanga-style pushup; when your feet are outside you do a wide pushup. It's supposed to be one fluid movement. It's tough as nails.

Overtime was also really tough. It starts right in, no warmup, because you're already warmed up after Game Day. It's about 10 minutes with no breaks, getting progressively harder. And then just when you think it's over, surprise! A set of 10 wide pull-ups and 25 push-ups, any form. I actually did really well with both of those.

But yeah, this was a tough, long workout. The good thing about Game Day as compared to the other Asylum workouts is that between "sports" there is generally a short break, and since there are so many "sports" those breaks add up. I didn't feel the need to pause the video at any point today, even switched straight over to Overtime afterwards.

Is this worth doing if you're loft condo doesn't have any doorframes for a pull-up bar? Do the alternative pull-up exercises seem tough enough? Also, how difficult are the jump-rope exercises? I haven't used one of those since grade school and I sucked then. I finished a cycle of insanity and am doing a second round.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is Game Day new? Haven't heard of it.

Got a good night's sleep on a Sunday for the first time in like 3 weeks. Hopefully a good sign that I'm ready to get back to the good stuff.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Is this worth doing if you're loft condo doesn't have any doorframes for a pull-up bar? Do the alternative pull-up exercises seem tough enough? Also, how difficult are the jump-rope exercises? I haven't used one of those since grade school and I sucked then. I finished a cycle of insanity and am doing a second round.

All of the chin-up bar exercises in Asylum have push-up variations. And yes, they are tough. For example, wide lat push-ups -- start in plank, then put your right arm out wide & go down into a push-up with your body close to your left arm, left elbow close in to your side so you're really focusing on that left side. You alternate sides. Next round you do it a little differently -- start in plank, lift your left leg up about a foot or so off the floor. Put your right arm out wide, go down into a push-up close to your left arm, keeping your left elbow close, then when you come up bring in your right arm. Keep your left leg elevated. Repeat on that side for 60 seconds, then switch to the other side for 60 seconds. On the bar you're doing switch grip pull-ups for 60 seconds in the first round, or switch grips (keep your elbows at 90 degrees, no pull-ups) for 2 minutes.

In these I start out on the bar & then switch to the floor work. The second round is TOUGH.

The jump rope stuff is hard. I don't use one, mostly because I too suck at it. You just have to work harder if you don't have one. There is a jump rope drills video that comes with the program. I have intended to do that between workouts but time has conspired against me :)

Is Game Day new? Haven't heard of it.

Nope, it's a standard part of Asylum. The idea is that the normal workouts you do throughout the week are practice & drills that prepare you for Game Day. If you have Insanity you might have got a bonus "Max Interval Sports Training" video with it -- Game Day is a lot like that.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
How important is jump rope in Asylum? Thinking about ordering finally but I really don't have anywhere to jump rope at...

Well, every time the workouts use it, there's always a couple people in the group who aren't using one. So you can certainly do the program without it.

I haven't been using mine for two reasons. First, I suck. I need to do the jump rope drills but haven't been able to make time to do it. Second, I work out early in the morning, usually starting a little before 5AM, and my exercise room is right below the bedroom where my wife is sleeping. Jumping rope is LOUD. I don't want to wake her.

Shaun T points out that if you don't have a rope, the key is to put more into the jumps. Keep the arm motions as if you had one, but go faster, jump higher, go deeper into the squats, etc. and you'll still get a lot out of it.

The big thing you're missing is the coordination & agility that come from using one.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well, every time the workouts use it, there's always a couple people in the group who aren't using one. So you can certainly do the program without it.

I haven't been using mine for two reasons. First, I suck. I need to do the jump rope drills but haven't been able to make time to do it. Second, I work out early in the morning, usually starting a little before 5AM, and my exercise room is right below the bedroom where my wife is sleeping. Jumping rope is LOUD. I don't want to wake her.

Shaun T points out that if you don't have a rope, the key is to put more into the jumps. Keep the arm motions as if you had one, but go faster, jump higher, go deeper into the squats, etc. and you'll still get a lot out of it.

The big thing you're missing is the coordination & agility that come from using one.

Ah cool. I may go ahead and order when I get close to being done with my hybrid program.

mehdi_san

Back to where it all started!
After finishing my round of P90X2 (and messing up the last couple weeks, I totally blame TGS for that, gaming all day and partying all night didn't help...), I decided to just move on with my plan and start my 2nd round of P90X (classic) today. If I don't miss too many days, I should be able to clear it by December 31st :)
So, I just finished Chest and Back, and good old Ab Ripper X, and... I can't even lift my arms haha. I forgot how brutal P90X was, compared to X2. I think it's because the workouts have more moves, and there isn't a lot of balance involved, so instead of using your core you are only using 1 muscle part at the time. Looking forward to feeling all sore tomorrow morning, it's been a while I hadn't felt like this!

deadlast

Finished Plyometeric yesterday at 3pm. Ran this morning at 6am; and now my inner thighs feel like jelly. But so far so good. This routine is going to great. I just hope I can stay on the wagon.

Question about ab ripper:
Do any of you guys do ab ripper in the morning instead of right after or right before what ever exercise set you are doing it with?

LaneDS

Back to where it all started!
After finishing my round of P90X2 (and messing up the last couple weeks, I totally blame TGS for that, gaming all day and partying all night didn't help...), I decided to just move on with my plan and start my 2nd round of P90X (classic) today. If I don't miss too many days, I should be able to clear it by December 31st :)
So, I just finished Chest and Back, and good old Ab Ripper X, and... I can't even lift my arms haha. I forgot how brutal P90X was, compared to X2. I think it's because the workouts have more moves, and there isn't a lot of balance involved, so instead of using your core you are only using 1 muscle part at the time. Looking forward to feeling all sore tomorrow morning, it's been a while I hadn't felt like this!

Man I miss P90X! I feel like I got put in time-out and have to do Insanity until it's over.

Get berries. Superfruits that are awesome after a workout.

Papaya, Pineapple and Watermelon should be on your diet too.

As his designated diet Sherpa (by the way, I love that, Lane), I know he's trying to lose weight, but it's important not to affect other aspects of your health in the process. For example, fat is good for hormonal regulation. He did mention lean cuts of beef in his food list so he's not totally going without fat, and will probably be okay, but something to consider.

PS Lane: I'd like to introduce you to some of my friends:

Book-Favorite-Products-Franks-Red-Hot-Buffalo-Wing-Sauce.jpg

images

aaaaand chipotle sauce that I can't remember the brand of and thus can't find an image for. I hope they treat you as well as they have treated me!

Since my Insanity hatred was so high, I neglected to respond to these earlier.

I started eating more fruit the past few days, and each of the last three days I would have some fruit as a dessert essentially after one meal per day. It was pineapple slices (so good, but I realize the sugar content must be high on these) and mango slices another day (oh hey, not all sliced yellow things in containers are pineapple! Whoops). Going to probably keep doing something like that on days I want something sweet, as it turns out that fruit is pretty good (who knew?).

I think I am taking in too much protein (maybe especially considering how cardio-centric Insanity is) and my portions on my breakfast and post-workout shake are likely too high. Three scoops of Lean1 is 300 calories, plus the skim milk brings breakfast to 500 calories... which seems rather high if weight loss and fat loss are my goals (and they are, although I'd like to keep my P90X-gained muscle mass, but I know I can't have it all at once).

nekura- I've been using the regular Frank's Red Hot sauce in lieu of ketchup and that is good stuff, for sure. My roommate had the wing sauce, a spicier variety, and uh it was mighty spicy (still good stuff though).

Anyway, going to keep working on all of this. Diet is still the hardest part of this whole healthy living deal for me.

FOOTE

I hope you are able to get through your hatred of Insanity, Lane. It's not easy to finish something that makes you miserable.

I'm into my 8th week of X2. Im probably not going to take another rest week until I finish phase 3. Last week's rest week became unnecessary after two days and I felt lazy the whole week. Plyo was rough yesterday because of the break too.

I have one of the Insanity workouts after work today since I didn't do it this morning. I sub one in on the recovery and mobility day(third day of the week). I need to kill this workout tonight.

LaneDS

I hope you are able to get through your hatred of Insanity, Lane. It's not easy to finish something that makes you miserable.

I'm into my 8th week of X2. Im probably not going to take another rest week until I finish phase 3. Last week's rest week became unnecessary after two days and I felt lazy the whole week. Plyo was rough yesterday because of the break too.

I have one of the Insanity workouts after work today since I didn't do it this morning. I sub one in on the recovery and mobility day(third day of the week). I need to kill this workout tonight.

Did you ever feel like Insanity wasn't enough? Coming off of P90X, the shorter workouts make me feel like I should be doing more (nevermind that I am drenched & wrecked at the end). Losing the muscle mass that I've built up is also sort of a downer.

Either way, I'm going to take your comments to heart and try to be more positive about it starting today with week two, so thank you.

Everdred

Just started class p90x again this week. Did it once already a year ago but my wedding is coming up in April and the lady and I want to look our best (And feel great too).

Hoping to gain weight (128 lbs, 5'10) and she is hoping to lose. I'm also on a paleo diet (Perfect Health Diet), which I wasn't last time. Hopefully things work out as planned. I would like to get to at least 140lbs.

LaneDS

Just started class p90x again this week. Did it once already a year ago but my wedding is coming up in April and the lady and I want to look our best (And feel great too).

Hoping to gain weight (128 lbs, 5'10) and she is hoping to lose. I'm also on a paleo diet (Perfect Health Diet), which I wasn't last time. Hopefully things work out as planned. I would like to get to at least 140lbs.

Seems like you're going to have to focus on eating enough (and enough protein) since you're tall and pretty light, but I'm sure by April you can put on a lot of muscle. I'd recommend creatine along with what you're doing too.

Ixian

Did you ever feel like Insanity wasn't enough? Coming off of P90X, the shorter workouts make me feel like I should be doing more (nevermind that I am drenched & wrecked at the end).
Remember that month one is basically a warmup for month two. But yeah, like FOOTE said you're just going to make it the longest, most miserable sixty days ever if you don't approach it with a positive attitude, especially since you also have the no cheating regiment testing your willpower.

This is a week of not so great eating for me. Discovered cookie butter at Trader Joe's over the weekend plus I'm going on a much needed vacation this Thursday. On the bright side, made some nice weight lifting improvements over the weekend!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Definitely look into creatine as Lane suggested, and lift big! If you have a safe home environment/can be spotted/etc, don't be afraid to max out at even fewer than the 8 reps Tony suggests.

I've decided to try p90x again but this replace Yoga with X stretch and Kenpo with Yoga... if that makes sense. It'd give me an extra day of rest which I really need because my arms and shoulders are usually wiped out when I come to do Yoga.

That is the only way I'll get through it.

In my opinion p90x overworks your muscles due to too few rest days (which is a vital part of muscle growth).

Top Bottom