• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I've decided to try p90x again but this replace Yoga with X stretch and Kenpo with Yoga... if that makes sense. It'd give me an extra day of rest which I really need because my arms and shoulders are usually wiped out when I come to do Yoga.

That is the only way I'll get through it.

In my opinion p90x overworks your muscles due to too few rest days (which is a vital part of muscle growth).

Don't know about that. You use different muscles every day:

Day one: chest and back / abs
Day two: legs
Day three: shoulders and arms / abs
Day four: very light use of legs and chest
Day five: legs and back / abs
Day six: light legs and arms
Day seven: rest

I think the rest times are appropiate.

FOOTE

Did you ever feel like Insanity wasn't enough? Coming off of P90X, the shorter workouts make me feel like I should be doing more (nevermind that I am drenched & wrecked at the end). Losing the muscle mass that I've built up is also sort of a downer.

Either way, I'm going to take your comments to heart and try to be more positive about it starting today with week two, so thank you.
When I did it, it was exactly what I needed at the time, a sever change in pace. So I liked it. (even though I did cut it short to start X2)

If you feel like you can do some more after your insanity workouts, go for it. Do a few sets of pull-ups or some curls or lawn mowers ect ect.. I have never agreed that these workout plans should be followed verbatim, and doing a little extra wont hurt you. Although you don't want to stray off its course very much, and I wouldn't go more than an hour total if you decide to do something after your Insanity.

Also, if you feel like Insanity isn't for you.. so be it. There's no shame in stopping something that you feel is going against your goals. With that said, however, you are still early in the game. If it were me, I would take to the next fit test at the very least and see how much my scores have improved.

Don't know about that. You use different muscles every day:

Day one: chest and back / abs
Day two: legs
Day three: shoulders and arms / abs
Day four: very light use of legs and chest
Day five: legs and back / abs
Day six: light legs and arms
Day seven: rest

I think the rest times are appropiate.
Muscles aren't worked in complete isolation on each day - meaning certain muscles will always be used in every workout. If you really go for it on day 1 (Chest & Back) then your muscles will not have completely recovered by day 3 (Shoulders & Arms). When you lift heavy weights your muscle fibres are torn and over time they are repaired, but if you're constantly stressing them then they never adequately rebuild themselves.

It is one of the biggest problems I have with p90x.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Personally, I have rarely felt as if my body wasn't fully recovered for the next workout. For example, last Saturday was Base & Back and it was the best performance I've ever had on that. Today is Chest/Back/Balance and I'm feeling great and ready to set new personal records.

Recovering is all about eating properly, drinking water and stay hydrated and sleep a minimum of 7:30 hours a day.

In P90X2, that foam roller also works wonder.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Missed my first workout in probably over a year today. I went to a wedding over the weekend (was gone for a few days) and the combination of little/poor sleep, irregular eating, lack of hydration, stress and everything else seems to have gotten to me today. I was supposed to do Plyo X, but my stomach was bothering me and I was just utterly fucking exhausted. I feel bad about it, but not too much — trying to be realistic. I think I'll just do it Wednesday in place of yoga, since it's the one workout of the week that I really don't want to miss. I'm feeling a bit better now I think after eating a regular dinner, so I should be able to get back on track tomorrow.

LaneDS

When I did it, it was exactly what I needed at the time, a sever change in pace. So I liked it. (even though I did cut it short to start X2)

If you feel like you can do some more after your insanity workouts, go for it. Do a few sets of pull-ups or some curls or lawn mowers ect ect.. I have never agreed that these workout plans should be followed verbatim, and doing a little extra wont hurt you. Although you don't want to stray off its course very much, and I wouldn't go more than an hour total if you decide to do something after your Insanity.

Also, if you feel like Insanity isn't for you.. so be it. There's no shame in stopping something that you feel is going against your goals. With that said, however, you are still early in the game. If it were me, I would take to the next fit test at the very least and see how much my scores have improved.

Points well taken, but I gotta push myself if I want the body I want. Insanity might be just the thing, so this week my main focus is a better attitude about it (though I probably said "fuck this" about 10-20 times during the workout tonight... but I tried!).

I will be adding in some extra moves, like pull ups. Definitely doing some mix of P90X when I finish, and will be going for the gold.

In P90X2, that foam roller also works wonder.

As soon as I did my first vertical leap in Insanity my quads cried out for that damn foam roller. I could feel just how badly I missed it, instantly.

Missed my first workout in probably over a year today. I went to a wedding over the weekend (was gone for a few days) and the combination of little/poor sleep, irregular eating, lack of hydration, stress and everything else seems to have gotten to me today. I was supposed to do Plyo X, but my stomach was bothering me and I was just utterly fucking exhausted. I feel bad about it, but not too much — trying to be realistic. I think I'll just do it Wednesday in place of yoga, since it's the one workout of the week that I really don't want to miss. I'm feeling a bit better now I think after eating a regular dinner, so I should be able to get back on track tomorrow.

First in over a year is pretty damn incredible man! Hope you feel better soon and get back on track, so you can miss your next workout October 2013, you monster.

FOOTE

Don't worry about missing a day man. One year is amazing, and that's no joke. Feel better and get back when you are up to it.

Glad to hear you refuse to give up Lane. You're a monster in your own right.

oatmeal

Banned
Are the exercise bands even a bit effective compared to the dumbbells?

For certain exercises.

I find shoulder stuff can be great.

Biceps are okay for certain ones.

Triceps are pretty good.

Pull ups...not so mcuh (unless you have something HIGH to mount it to)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
LaneDS -- the workouts in Month 2 of Insanity are longer. Also if you have them, you can substitute Insane Abs and Max Interval Sports Training for Cardio Abs and Core Cardio & Balance, respectively.

Just beat my best legs & back numbers by a pretty good margin :) Old record for pull ups was 101 unassisted, 4 assisted. Just got 109 pull ups unassisted and 0 assisted. I'd love to break the "over 120 pull up" line Tony has at the end of the video.

Oh, also, I burned 545 calories according to my HRM. My previous best in the work out was 477 burned. Feels good man

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Just beat my best legs & back numbers by a pretty good margin :) Old record for pull ups was 101 unassisted, 4 assisted. Just got 109 pull ups unassisted and 0 assisted. I'd love to break the "over 120 pull up" line Tony has at the end of the video.

Oh, also, I burned 545 calories according to my HRM. My previous best in the work out was 477 burned. Feels good man

Excellent. You'll get there before you know it. Maybe even next time!

mehdi_san

P90X round 2, day 2 done. 88 to go lol
Plyometrics: oh god I forgot how longer this is compared to Plyocide. I may not be able to walk to work tomorrow. And tomorrow is Shoulder and Arms, so excited to do that one!

drspeedy

Points well taken, but I gotta push myself if I want the body I want. Insanity might be just the thing, so this week my main focus is a better attitude about it (though I probably said "fuck this" about 10-20 times during the workout tonight... but I tried!).

I will be adding in some extra moves, like pull ups. Definitely doing some mix of P90X when I finish, and will be going for the gold.

As soon as I did my first vertical leap in Insanity my quads cried out for that damn foam roller. I could feel just how badly I missed it, instantly.

First in over a year is pretty damn incredible man! Hope you feel better soon and get back on track, so you can miss your next workout October 2013, you monster.

Do you have Insanity deluxe by chance? The upper body stuff and sports training was a great addition for me personally. I also went back and added a few old P90X routines in month 2 from some variety, in particular I found the 2 chest/back/bicep dvds great additions.

Also: I HATE power jumps. HATE. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE. I was doing them just out of spite by the end, literally just to yell at the screen in a small show of defiance when I was done.

old_man_yells_at_cloud8_2.jpg

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Also: I HATE power jumps. HATE. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE. I was doing them just out of spite by the end, literally just to yell at the screen in a small show of defiance when I was done.

Try them with a band around your ankles, being sure to land with your feet inside an agility ladder. No touching the ladder or it's 20 pushups!

Asylum also has one-legged power jumps. You're not supposed to let your other leg touch the ground. 30 seconds outside the ladder, 30 seconds in, then repeat for the other leg. (I do these pretty slowly; it's hard to keep my balance after I land).

Another one that's hard is split lunge chest flies. So you start in a lunge position with the forward foot inside the agility ladder. Hands out straight in front of you, holding a band. Leap in the air, spreading your arms out straight & wide, and switch your legs so you come down in a lung position with the other foot forward, in the next box of the ladder, hands forward again. Progress up & down the ladder for 60 seconds. Think Mary Katherine lunges combined with resistance chest flies and lateral movement.

After that you get to do X-jumps holding one band in your hands with another around your ankles. Even the "kids" in the video have to take breathers by this point.

And let's not forget agility plyo push-up jacks -- Pushup jacks with bands around your wrists & ankles. 30 seconds with your hands in the ladder, 30 seconds with your feet in the ladder. Alternating wide hands & feet with a wide pushup, narrow hands & feet with a narrow/chaturanga pushup, both with an explosive jump to get your hands & feet off the floor. Those are fun too.

Ah, Vertical Plyo...

Everdred

What do you guys think about skipping yoga and kempo days? I would keep Plyo because that seems like a great all around workout.

I'm 128 lbs and I'm just trying to get muscle mass. I know I'd be working some muscle on those days but I feel like I could do without burning the calories.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What do you guys think about skipping yoga and kempo days? I would keep Plyo because that seems like a great all around workout.

I'm 128 lbs and I'm just trying to get muscle mass. I know I'd be working some muscle on those days but I feel like I could do without burning the calories.
Do Yoga. Take your Kenpo day as a rest day or just go for a light walk if you want. This is the advice I present!

FOOTE

Do Yoga. Take your Kenpo day as a rest day or just go for a light walk if you want. This is the advice I present!

I'll second this. People still laugh at yoga and think it does nothing.(not saying you think that, Everdred) Yoga improves strength and flexibility on an a massive level.

Body Beast is pretty cool. The guy is a bit too much. Looking forward to getting to know the moves well enough to where I can mute him and listen to music.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'll second this. People still laugh at yoga and think it does nothing.(not saying you think that, Everdred) Yoga improves strength and flexibility on an a massive level.

Absolutely. I'm glad Asylum is only 30 days, I miss yoga. My first P90X2 Yoga is 2 weeks from Wednesday!

LaneDS

Would Body Beast be fine without the insane eat a million calories aspect? No interest in that but am open to more weight training options.

Laying down now and need to get up and do Pure Cardio- the energy just isn't there.

Huge.. i didnt take a before pic cause i never do but ill try and take one when im done. I wanna see yours too Harry. Your the only other person on here that i know thats doing it.

I took pics so I'll post them when I'm done. During the build block on the days where you have a choice between Tempo And Build workouts which are you doing?

I took pics so I'll post them when I'm done. During the build block on the days where you have a choice between Tempo And Build workouts which are you doing?

Build, Tempo is sold separately right?? Witch one are you doin? The only pic i have is from the last time i finished P90x. (I still look relatively the same)

How long have you been doing Body Beast for?? This is my second week

Glad to see a lot of the same faces I saw when I first started P90X back in March/April this year. I'm still going strong. Finishing my second round of P90X in two weeks. Took a bit of time between the first and second round off. Initially went straight into the second round after finishing the first but got pretty sick after two weeks in and lost the drive for it all and took 3 weeks or so off with doing just nothing. I was amazed that my body didn't lose much muscle at all. I think people freak out a little for missing a day and thinking all the hard work they've done up until that point will be lost; not true! Relax! 3 weeks is a bit much but if you need a day or two or even a week to recharge then do it and pick up where you left off.

Missed that energy gain though when I wasn't working out. Fuck the results you see in the mirror. The way you feel after a workout is worth it all by itself.

I know I can still push harder. I don't think I've pushed myself to the limit through these two rounds yet. Will take a week off and go for round 3. I've created my perfect hybrid of P90X + my long time love that is running and I think I'll probably continue that for many years to come.

Don't be afraid to create a bit of a hybrid program that suits your lifestyle best. I remember being so anal when I first started P90X and following every little detail about diet and exercise to a T. In the end, being fit shouldn't feel like a chore.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I want to do Body Beast and plan to do it next February or March (after P90X2 and Asylum Volume 2), but man I am really psyched about Les Mills Combat. I might just need to fit that in first.

Build, Tempo is sold separately right?? Witch one are you doin? The only pic i have is from the last time i finished P90x. (I still look relatively the same)

How long have you been doing Body Beast for?? This is my second week

Ya, those two tempo workouts are in the Huge Stack package. I'll try both and see which I like best.

I'm only a week in. How bout you?

Errr: Duh, you said two weeks. I'm tired. Beasting out.

Ixian

Would Body Beast be fine without the insane eat a million calories aspect? No interest in that but am open to more weight training options.

Laying down now and need to get up and do Pure Cardio- the energy just isn't there.
I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be doable if your goal was to lose weight instead of bulking. It's basically what I'm doing with my routine.

LaneDS

On day 8 without any cheat meals, which might not sound like a ton but for me, that's quite a while (usually would give myself some leeway on the weekends). Didn't end up doing Insanity last night, so will try hard tonight after work.

LaneDS

At 260, I'd recommend P90X first so you can get in shape, increase strength , endurance and flexibility. After that you might try Insanity.

One of my coworkers is around 250 and 5'11", and he did Insanity for a month (without making diet changes) and didn't really stick with it for whatever reason, but I think Steelo's advice is good, or even doing P90X with the mindset that it's going to be difficult and will require modifying moves a fair amount.

At that weight, the most important thing you can do is fix your diet first... the weight will plummet quickly if you can get that in check (I'm 5'8" and was nearly 250 lb once, for reference). Strict diet + whatever physical activity you feel comfortable with will get you results surprisingly quickly.

Good luck!

mehdi_san

I've been going back and forth from low-fat milk to soymilk these past few months, but still can't really decide which is best for my diet. Here are the facts for both:
Soymilk: 51cal, 3.2 prot, 3.5g fat, 1.7g carbs per 100ml
Lowfat milk: 37cal, 2.3g prot, 0.6g fat, 5.5g carbs per 100ml
Which one do you guys think is better for my body, the one with less carbs or the one with less fat?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I've been going back and forth from low-fat milk to soymilk these past few months, but still can't really decide which is best for my diet. Here are the facts for both:
Soymilk: 51cal, 3.2 prot, 3.5g fat, 1.7g carbs per 100ml
Lowfat milk: 37cal, 2.3g prot, 0.6g fat, 5.5g carbs per 100ml
Which one do you guys think is better for my body, the one with less carbs or the one with less fat?

Whole milk. Seriously. Just don't drink ludicrous amounts of it (unless you're trying to gain mass; there's the whole GOMAD thing). If you aren't lactose intolerant, drink the "real" thing.

Whole milk: 62cal, 3.32g protein, 3.35g fat, 4.6g carbs per 100ml. It has fewer carbs, more protein and not all that much fat -- and you NEED fat in your diet.

The fat in the soy milk is mostly unsaturated, too, whereas it's mostly saturated in the milk.

mehdi_san

Whole milk. Seriously. Just don't drink ludicrous amounts of it (unless you're trying to gain mass; there's the whole GOMAD thing). If you aren't lactose intolerant, drink the "real" thing.

Whole milk: 62cal, 3.32g protein, 3.35g fat, 4.6g carbs per 100ml. It has fewer carbs, more protein and not all that much fat -- and you NEED fat in your diet.

The fat in the soy milk is mostly unsaturated, too, whereas it's mostly saturated in the milk.
What exactly is unsaturated fat? (Sorry for the noob question)
I am worried I may be getting to much fat in my diet already to be honest. I usually snack on some almonds at work during the afternoon, and I know almonds are full of fat. Maybe I should stop eating whole eggs too, and just keep the whites instead...

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
What exactly is unsaturated fat? (Sorry for the noob question)
I am worried I may be getting to much fat in my diet already to be honest. I usually snack on some almonds at work during the afternoon, and I know almonds are full of fat. Maybe I should stop eating whole eggs too, and just keep the whites instead...

I don't recommend getting all your info from once source, but here's one good article about saturated fat and how it compares to other types of fat.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I used to drink skim milk only a year ago, but I've been drinking whole for about 4 months now. I think I need the extra calories from that. Also, I heard whole milk is considerably less processed than the other options, although I don't know much about that.

LaneDS

Not specifically P90X related, but I'd like to point out that at my place of employment they have brought these two giant trays of cookies, brownies, and assorted sweets the last two days and just placed them in our kitchen. I've resisted having any, even after one co-worker specifically placed a cookie on my desk despite my mentioning that I'm trying to avoid eating any (into the trash it went).

That's a lot harder, for me, then some of the workouts.

FOOTE

Not specifically P90X related, but I'd like to point out that at my place of employment they have brought these two giant trays of cookies, brownies, and assorted sweets the last two days and just placed them in our kitchen. I've resisted having any, even after one co-worker specifically placed a cookie on my desk despite my mentioning that I'm trying to avoid eating any (into the trash it went).

They do things like this all the time in my office. Candy, cakes, cookies... the works. They are ordering pizza on Friday for lunch for the entire office.. So glad I have that day off.

Ixian

Due to my upcoming vacation, I was put on a diet break for two weeks by my consultant; feel free to mail me some!

Edit: Oh snap, no longer a Junior!

Top Bottom