• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

FOOTE

Tough Mudder for me next April! I just watched the Spartan Race video on the main page and that is inspiring stuff, I love bits like that. But yeah, you should totally do it although I don't have any impressions to give (yet). If you go for it, and you should, good luck man!

For me, Tough Mudder is my goal line. April 2013 will be just over a year since I started P90X, Insanity, X2, whatever... and I want to really have that race as my time to shine and show my progress.

treats.jpg

...they're kinda old now, but they're all yours! Download, print, and enjoy!

What is even on that tray? Looks like brownies with leafy greens and grease all over the tray cloth. I'm on my phone without contacts or glasses on though, so I may not be seeing the pic right.

Tough Mudder for me next April! I just watched the Spartan Race video on the main page and that is inspiring stuff, I love bits like that. But yeah, you should totally do it although I don't have any impressions to give (yet). If you go for it, and you should, good luck man!

For me, Tough Mudder is my goal line. April 2013 will be just over a year since I started P90X, Insanity, X2, whatever... and I want to really have that race as my time to shine and show my progress.

I just looked that up, looks awesome! And I know what you mean...I've never been this strong in my life, and I really want to test my limits. Keep us in the loop when you dominate Tough Mudder, that shit looks intense!

I just tried the ab ripper x for the first time and i could barely do any. Hopefully i'm able to do more as time goes by.

Oh yeah, Ab Ripper X, vicious in the beginning. No worries bud, I couldn't do most of it well when I started. Just focus on your form and keep at it, you'll start to see and feel the difference.

LaneDS

What is even on that tray? Looks like brownies with leafy greens and grease all over the tray cloth. I'm on my phone without contacts or glasses on though, so I may not be seeing the pic right.

All I know is that I didn't eat any of it... I'm not sure who puts leafy greens as garnish with cookies, brownies, blondies, and whatever else, but yeah, looks kinda funky (enjoy nekura!).

Culebra- I will for sure be posting pictures before and after Tough Mudder come next April!

Jzero- months and months might go by and some moves in ab ripper x (or x2) will still totally be difficult, so don't feel bad at all! Do what you can.

BM- thanks dude! Today was tough since it was my day off, but I ate healthy (but spent too much on pre-made salad, soup, and some pineapple slices... oh well!). Ten days down, onto day eleven.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I haven't eaten any work-junk in years (not because I'm really that disciplined — mostly just because I don't cheat at all during the week, only on weekends), but fuck, blondies? I would've eaten them off the floor. I love those things, but I never see them anywhere (probably for the best).

SteeloDMZ

Banned
X2 Yoga done. I don't know exactly why, but this was one of the most relaxing yoga workout I've ever done. One second I was starting with the arm circles and the next one I was doing the final namaste.

FOOTE

How many of you would buy a P90X game that uses motion? The thought of it intrigues me and I think I would buy it.

Note: I wouldn't buy any of the fitness games that are out now. The decision to buy a P90X game is purely based on the fact that I trust Beachbody so much to put out a program that works, and isn't just a bunch of shit thrown together. (It doesn't have to be branded P90X, I would prefer it to have Tony Horton though) One potential issue I would have would be any pull-ups. I have to do those in another room.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I've thought a lot about a Kinect-based Beachbody workout. I think it's doable, though very challenging to develop; the question is whether the size of the potential market justifies the cost of putting it together (I don't think it does). I also don't know enough about the sensor bar to say whether it is precise enough to accurately monitor form. But it would be very cool and if available I'd get it.

Asylum: Strength today with 22.5lb dumbbells. Yeeouch, that was tough. Had to pause 4 times, but I got in all the exercises. That last move, frog jump to squat, jump to plank with one leg raised, jump back to squat, then repeat backwards -- is really tough after all that work. Game Day + Overtime tomorrow morning, then the home stretch to P90X2 a week from today.

For X2 right now my plan is 3 weeks of phase 1, 3 days recovery, 6 weeks phase 2 (with 3 days recovery after each 3 weeks), then 4 weeks of phase 3, 3 days recovery, then I'll start Asylum Volume 2. That's more than 90 days but after reading the X2 book it seems like the best approach for me. I might change things once I learn all the workouts (for example I might drop one week of phase 2).

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Base & Back is the best workout ever. Still can suck the life out of me on the 5th or 6th run of it.

I'm finding phase 2 ALT far more challenging than phase 3, which I abandoned after 1 week in.

LaneDS

I haven't eaten any work-junk in years (not because I'm really that disciplined — mostly just because I don't cheat at all during the week, only on weekends), but fuck, blondies? I would've eaten them off the floor. I love those things, but I never see them anywhere (probably for the best).

Probably for the best indeed, and good on you for being so dedicated at work! I'll think of you (okay, I'll think of Walter White, who am I kidding?) when tempted at work in the future.

X2 Yoga done. I don't know exactly why, but this was one of the most relaxing yoga workout I've ever done. One second I was starting with the arm circles and the next one I was doing the final namaste.

<3 X2 yoga (and yoga in general). Sometime down the line yoga is something I plan to take more seriously, and maybe join some classes.

How many of you would buy a P90X game that uses motion? The thought of it intrigues me and I think I would buy it.

Note: I wouldn't buy any of the fitness games that are out now. The decision to buy a P90X game is purely based on the fact that I trust Beachbody so much to put out a program that works, and isn't just a bunch of shit thrown together. (It doesn't have to be branded P90X, I would prefer it to have Tony Horton though) One potential issue I would have would be any pull-ups. I have to do those in another room.

I'd likely steer clear, but it's an interesting idea. Interactive Tony sounds hilarious though, and if it got more people interested in the programs then I'd be all for it.

I've thought a lot about a Kinect-based Beachbody workout. I think it's doable, though very challenging to develop; the question is whether the size of the potential market justifies the cost of putting it together (I don't think it does). I also don't know enough about the sensor bar to say whether it is precise enough to accurately monitor form. But it would be very cool and if available I'd get it.

Asylum: Strength today with 22.5lb dumbbells. Yeeouch, that was tough. Had to pause 4 times, but I got in all the exercises. That last move, frog jump to squat, jump to plank with one leg raised, jump back to squat, then repeat backwards -- is really tough after all that work. Game Day + Overtime tomorrow morning, then the home stretch to P90X2 a week from today.

For X2 right now my plan is 3 weeks of phase 1, 3 days recovery, 6 weeks phase 2 (with 3 days recovery after each 3 weeks), then 4 weeks of phase 3, 3 days recovery, then I'll start Asylum Volume 2. That's more than 90 days but after reading the X2 book it seems like the best approach for me. I might change things once I learn all the workouts (for example I might drop one week of phase 2).

I have a feeling you are just going to destroy X2 man, considering how hard I find regular Insanity and reading about your Asylum experiences. Very curious to hear your impressions when you get to it!

Base & Back is the best workout ever. Still can suck the life out of me on the 5th or 6th run of it.

I'm finding phase 2 ALT far more challenging than phase 3, which I abandoned after 1 week in.

Phase 2 is really, really great. I felt that is where I got the most muscle growth, but am still a little surprised when I read about your phase 3 impressions. Maybe phase 3 is more about athletic conditioning, and phase 2 is straight up designed to get you stronger? Since I struggle so much with Insanity (about to try after I post this) but find the weight lifting programs much more agreeable, maybe that's why I was less challenged by phase 2 than I was by phase 3. Either way, glad yer digging phase 2 at least!

Unrelated, but I came off my diet tonight and had a cheeseburger. It was just okay. And then I woke up from my nap, where I ate it, and was glad it was only a dream (even in my dream I was like, "do I eat the bread?", but apparently in the dream world I am less hard on myself). In the waking world my diet continues without issue. Time for Insanity, woo.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Unrelated, but I came off my diet tonight and had a cheeseburger. It was just okay. And then I woke up from my nap, where I ate it, and was glad it was only a dream (even in my dream I was like, "do I eat the bread?", but apparently in the dream world I am less hard on myself). In the waking world my diet continues without issue. Time for Insanity, woo.
You sly dog. I was all ready to click reply with furious anger and righteous vengeance.

Gumbie

I'm still doing my own diet. Modified it to get to 2500 calories a day. There's no way I could do 5k. I have a hard enough time with 2500. So I'll see how it goes. Sorry, can't tell you much about their nutrition plan. I only gave it a glance.

I'm sure you've answered this before, but what kind of stuff are you eating to hit 2500? In my experience I've found I can hit 2500 with no problem but getting there without eating a decent amount of fat is a different story.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Great to hear about people's goals. Me personally, I'm doing X2 right now and will run the Nike We Run 10k this November.

I'm also gonna join the US Air Force, so I'm sure that my X2 training will help me a lot for that.

LaneDS

You sly dog. I was all ready to click reply with furious anger and righteous vengeance.

Weekend complete, still going strong. Almost gave up on the diet (temporarily) last night but have now almost gone two weeks with no sweets, no fast food, no processed carbs (bread, wraps, whatever). The scale, sadly, doesn't really reflect that, and Insanity hasn't really lowered my weight any noticeable amount so far. But I'm still aiming for 30 days without cheat meals.

Great to hear about people's goals. Me personally, I'm doing X2 right now and will run the Nike We Run 10k this November.

I'm also gonna join the US Air Force, so I'm sure that my X2 training will help me a lot for that.

Whoa, pretty big decision for you. I imagine there are a lot of not so in shape people that join any military branch at first, so you'll be ahead of the pack in many regards I bet. Good luck all the same!

Tonight should mark the two weeks in fit test for Insanity, but I've had a sore back for a little over a day now, so I might take another day off. Also seriously considering stopping Insanity and just going back into P90X, because of reasons I've already mentioned a few times here, but I don't want to quit just yet either.

LaneDS

Stick with Insanity Lane, you won't regret it. The second month steps it up big time.

As it is now, I need to really step it up. I've kept the diet focus, which is good and probably what I really needed, but my desire to quit mid-workout is pretty strong, and I estimate I've probably only done 50-60% of the workouts those first two weeks. I might even say, okay, those first two weeks were my trial period, and today's fit test (I missed the first one!) is the proper start of the program with more of a commitment to hitting each day's routine.

I really believe it can benefit people (myself included, being people) but have had a real tough time getting myself to do it almost entirely because of how hard it is.

I'll keep at it though, is the short version of what I was trying to say, and also thanks for the encouragement.

It's tough, no doubt. I never found it easy. The good thing is that if you are doing 50-60% of the workouts you are still getting a great burn. Your body isn't used to that high level of cardio work but I guarantee that your stamina is getting better. None of the cardio in p90X comes close to it. I'm not there to watch you do the workouts so I could be wrong but it sounds like the workouts are getting to your head more than your body. Insanity is grueling physically and mentally.

I know you can do the whole thing. You've gotten this far and your results have been fantastic. Just think how good it will feel to say "I did Insanity".

2zsce.png

LaneDS

Thanks dude, seriously. I might just print out that post and hang it somewhere as a reminder. Starting over with Insanity tonight and will try to post two weeks from now that I'm 100% (recovery workout included) compliant for that period.

I can already tell that my stamina has improved, even if a lot of it still kills. Thankfully my knees have at least held up, which I think is due in part to the crazy knee brace I've been using (it's like wearing tires on your legs, and is an absolute bitch to put on, but it keeps them secure and warm). If anyone is curious, link is here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018IMOOI/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (they're mostly for lifting as far as I can tell, but I still find them good for intense cardio). Shame on my lower back hurting, but I might spend more time warming up/cooling down with Insanity moving forward.

drspeedy

As it is now, I need to really step it up. I've kept the diet focus, which is good and probably what I really needed, but my desire to quit mid-workout is pretty strong, and I estimate I've probably only done 50-60% of the workouts those first two weeks. I might even say, okay, those first two weeks were my trial period, and today's fit test (I missed the first one!) is the proper start of the program with more of a commitment to hitting each day's routine.

I really believe it can benefit people (myself included, being people) but have had a real tough time getting myself to do it almost entirely because of how hard it is.

I'll keep at it though, is the short version of what I was trying to say, and also thanks for the encouragement.

Awesome man, Keep it up! Everyone quits one here and there- I took a "pause button break" pretty much every day for the first couple of weeks... I'm glad I did, it kept my resolve up to finish once I caught my breath, if I had tried to keep going full tilt I probably wouldn't have made it through the whole program. By the end of the 3rd week I was getting through all the exercises and making some serious progress, stamina makes all the difference.

If it makes you feel better, I lost exactly 0 pounds in 75 days of insanity... but I did cut 3% body fat and 2 inches from my waist.

LaneDS

Awesome man, Keep it up! Everyone quits one here and there- I took a "pause button break" pretty much every day for the first couple of weeks... I'm glad I did, it kept my resolve up to finish once I caught my breath, if I had tried to keep going full tilt I probably wouldn't have made it through the whole program. By the end of the 3rd week I was getting through all the exercises and making some serious progress, stamina makes all the difference.

If it makes you feel better, I lost exactly 0 pounds in 75 days of insanity... but I did cut 3% body fat and 2 inches from my waist.

All of that does indeed make me feel better, so thank you as well sir! 3% BF is pretty great for a little over 2 months of (hard) work!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Felt so much better today than I have for the last month. Think I'm finally back to 100%, or at least 98.5%. Did some cardio during lunch at work and felt like I could do twice as much.

I've lost ~5 pounds over the last month, and not in a good way :-[

LaneDS

Felt so much better today than I have for the last month. Think I'm finally back to 100%, or at least 98.5%. Did some cardio during lunch at work and felt like I could do twice as much.

I've lost ~5 pounds over the last month, and not in a good way :-[

Yeah but you're probably a beast in GW2!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Add me to the "lost 0 pounds on Insanity" camp. I was initially disappointed because I had lost 20 lbs on P90X2, but upon going back to P90X I realized just how much more in shape I was from Insanity. After doing Insanity, then going back and doing Plyo in P90X you wonder why you thought it was so hard. :p

I'm on a P90X/X2 hybrid now, and I don't dread Plyo days like I did when I first did P90X.

drspeedy

All of that does indeed make me feel better, so thank you as well sir! 3% BF is pretty great for a little over 2 months of (hard) work!

I'm not anywhere near toned, but my legs and waist were my best areas and gained the most trimming and 'definition' (no 6 pack yet-ok, ever. Gotta be a realist...), but the work definitely starts to really pay off closer to week 6 than week 3.

Oh, and remember the pause button advice once you hit your first Max Interval Circuit, you'll appreciate it!

LaneDS

Add me to the "lost 0 pounds on Insanity" camp. I was initially disappointed because I had lost 20 lbs on P90X2, but upon going back to P90X I realized just how much more in shape I was from Insanity. After doing Insanity, then going back and doing Plyo in P90X you wonder why you thought it was so hard. :p

I'm on a P90X/X2 hybrid now, and I don't dread Plyo days like I did when I first did P90X.

I actually thought about you specifically this morning when I stepped on the scale, because I remember reading your Insanity impressions (even in or near month 2) and saying that you hadn't lost much/any weight. I do look forward to destroying those plyo days in any case!

Here is a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway: like many, perhaps all, of us here I want to lose the fat around my chest and midsection, but I feel like my midsection fat is almost like a, uh, pouch for lack of a better word... does that, or can that, tighten up once your BF% hits a low enough level? I feel like I'll always be stuck with some reminder of my fatter days, but ideally I'd like at one point in my life to be like, yes, I have a six pack that I worked really hard for... and I'm not sure it's obtainable or not. Silly question, but whatever. Might crosspost it in fitness-GAF, since that thread really moves.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I actually thought about you specifically this morning when I stepped on the scale, because I remember reading your Insanity impressions (even in or near month 2) and saying that you hadn't lost much/any weight. I do look forward to destroying those plyo days in any case!

Here is a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway: like many, perhaps all, of us here I want to lose the fat around my chest and midsection, but I feel like my midsection fat is almost like a, uh, pouch for lack of a better word... does that, or can that, tighten up once your BF% hits a low enough level? I feel like I'll always be stuck with some reminder of my fatter days, but ideally I'd like at one point in my life to be like, yes, I have a six pack that I worked really hard for... and I'm not sure it's obtainable or not. Silly question, but whatever. Might crosspost it in fitness-GAF, since that thread really moves.

I don't have a good answer because I'm exactly in the same shoes. I need to lose another 10 pounds or so with most of it around my "tire" area, but it just won't budge. It's aggravating. :p

LaneDS

I don't have a good answer because I'm exactly in the same shoes. I need to lose another 10 pounds or so with most of it around my "tire" area, but it just won't budge. It's aggravating. :p

I'll let you know if this semi-torturous "take all the fun out of eating" diet pans out down the line!

...I totally plan on switching back to "cheat once or twice a week" at some point, because I enjoy eating delicious things to much to just say goodbye to it I think.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah but you're probably a beast in GW2!
Can't deny that. I play with a controller so I was even able to play from bed :-X

...I totally plan on switching back to "cheat once or twice a week" at some point, because I enjoy eating delicious things to much to just say goodbye to it I think.
I know Tony and I disagree on this one and I support your 30 day challenge, but I fully believe this or some other "guilt-lessening" approach is crucial to long-term success and well, sanity.

You are absolutely right Hawkian, sanity is important especially really doing p90x or insanity should be fun.

I might be talking out of my ass here, but DC and Lane, it sounds like you two have the physique where you have to work extra extra hard to lose that weight/fat. If that's the case, then you must take that into consideration on the whole cheat meal thing and accept however your body will respond if you decide to keep certain meals in your life on some consistent basis (once or two per week is still a routine)

But in any case I'm on your side. We have been together supporting each other for a while now, and it will continue

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My only caveat when I started all these programs and eating habits was that I was not going to ever 100% restrict myself from eating something. I am a huge foodie and would rather work out 6 days a week forever than have to say "I'm never eating X again."

I'll save "X" for a weekend, and eat very well all week, but cheat meals are 100% necessary.

You are absolutely right Hawkian, sanity is important especially really doing p90x or insanity should be fun.

I might be talking out of my ass here, but DC and Lane, it sounds like you two have the physique where you have to work extra extra hard to lose that weight/fat. If that's the case, then you must take that into consideration on the whole cheat meal thing and accept however your body will respond if you decide to keep certain meals in your life on some consistent basis (once or two per week is still a routine)

But in any case I'm on your side. We have been together supporting each other for a while now, and it will continue

You're 100% spot on. It's unfortunate because my Dad is 53 now and looks just like Tony body-wise, and my brother takes after him. I got my Grandpa, who is bigger built, and now overweight. I also got my mom's brother's style of genes, he's overweight too. So I got the worst of my family. Thankfully my dad being a health nut when growing up kept me from being very overweight. Now that I am trying to lose it all though the last 10-15 lbs is incredibly hard.

I know eating 100% healthy 24/7 would get me there quicker, but I'd rather be able to eat what I like a bit and take the slow route. I did hit the 200 lb mark exactly last Friday, so the hybrid I'm on may be the key.

So last week I started on P90X to get myself back into shape before school starts in the spring, and it's very apparent how out of shape I am. I'm a skinny dude and couldn't do many reps, but I'm trying and that's all Tony wants.

I wonder how my legs are going to feel after plyo tomorrow. Last week my legs were amazingly sore until after I did Legs and Back on Friday. (It made yoga a living hell)

Here's to another week. I'm going to try my best to complete this week and future weeks, my longest staying with this before was only a week, so I improved already.

LaneDS

Insanity "week 1" fit test numbers:

Switch kicks - 82
Power jacks - 45
Power knees - 72
Power jumps - 20
Globe jumps - 7
Suicide jumps - 9
Push-up jacks - 25
Low plank obliques - 30

First time doing the fit test. Considering this day 1 of Insanity and just considering my last two weeks of half-assing it as some sort of warm up. Procrastinated a lot because I got word from family back home that my grandmother is about to pass away (she's 94) so, uh, it was a sad night but I forced myself to focus and do this shit... it probably helped.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Insanity "week 1" fit test numbers:

Switch kicks - 82
Power jacks - 45
Power knees - 72
Power jumps - 20
Globe jumps - 7
Suicide jumps - 9
Push-up jacks - 25
Low plank obliques - 30

That's not too far off from my first Insanity fit test. Here are my Insanity test results over the course of the program:

Switch Kicks (count left leg only as a rep): 45/67/65/71/70
Power Jacks: 40/56/57/64/71
Power Knees: 100/96/110/110/122
Power Jumps: 37/46/46/71/73
Globe Jumps: 9/12/13/13/13
Suicide Jumps: 12/19/20/22/22
Push-up Jacks: 28/39/42/45/39 (son kept asking questions during these that last time :))
Low-plank Obliques (count each leg as a rep): 78/82/75/95/93

Sorry about your grandmother. 94 though, wow! I don't have any relatives who lived that long. Smokers or diabetes. It's one reason I'm doing all of this exercise. I want to be around for my son as long as I can. He's 4, I'm turning 48 on Saturday. Make a point to enjoy every moment you can with your loved ones!

DC thanks for the post. I can only imagine how difficult and frustrating it can be. I have the opposite problem. Its hard for me to put on mass.

And if cheat meal is necessary then so be it. It's already great that we can all be here and talk about P90X/X2/Insanity as they are all our everyday life routine. I still get people who think we are obsessed just based on the fact that we exercise everyday

LaneDS

No reason better than that to keep yourself in shape Steve! Oh and early happy birthday man; you're going to be Tony Horton-esque by the time the big 5-0 rolls around at the rate you're going.

Your day 1 numbers destroyed mine though! Granted I've had this sore lower back since Sunday, and that didn't help too much (and probably doing Insanity on Saturday might have held me back some), but still...

For swing kicks, I counted each kick, and I did the same with the low plank obliques... your numbers were gigantic! The 30 that I listed were me doing both legs, so the difference there is vast (that one was one I for sure felt the lower back pain, but still... a difference of 48 is tremendous!).

Anyway, I feel like doing the fit test will encourage me to more properly follow the schedule because it adds a sort of game-like element of challenging oneself to beat your personal numbers every two weeks, so I'm excited about that.

Oh, and thanks for the words about my grandmother... she is really old, and she's at peace and pretty much just going to pass of natural causes which is really fortunate. Mostly felt bad for my dad, but he seemed fine while I was a giant baby yesterday... family is strange. But yeah, keep bringing it! That has to be setting a great example for your son too, I reckon.

DC thanks for the post. I can only imagine how difficult and frustrating it can be. I have the opposite problem. Its hard for me to put on mass.

And if cheat meal is necessary then so be it. It's already great that we can all be here and talk about P90X/X2/Insanity as they are all our everyday life routine. I still get people who think we are obsessed just based on the fact that we exercise everyday

It's true, there are a lot of people who will think you're obsessed based on how much these programs ask of you, but to people that really want to be healthy and in-shape they usually get it. I think eventually I will transition into a program that is only four or five days out of the week, as six is perhaps too much, but that isn't any day soon.

Barely on my day #2 (Plyometrics) and holy mother of god, i've never sweated so much in my life.

I believe it! I will have to go back and read my first plyometrics impressions which I have to imagine I posted in here, because that workout was (and is!) such a beast. I hope you come to really enjoy that burn it gives you if you're not quite there yet. Looking forward to hearing your first impressions of yoga in a few days!

Yea I'm doing 5 days because of my schedule. I took out Kenpo and I'm I'm full maintenance mode. Just trying to survive until schools over then I can do X2 again...

I'm sure you've answered this before, but what kind of stuff are you eating to hit 2500? In my experience I've found I can hit 2500 with no problem but getting there without eating a decent amount of fat is a different story.

I eat the same thing for the most part 5 days a week.

1 protein shake w/skim milk (2 scoops)
2 hard boiled egg
handful of almonds
1 avacado
a piece of fish (usually salmon)
some type of greens (spinach, Brussel sprouts, etc)
cottage cheese
1 protein shake w/skim milk (2 scoops)
2 chicken breasts or more fish
more greens
quinoa or brown rice
almonds/few slice of turkey breast

LaneDS

Day "2" complete, sort of. Did 30 of the 40 minutes of plyometric interval circuit (I think that's what they call it) and was just shot. I think trying it every day and not completing everything is probably better than doing it every other day like I did the previous two weeks.

Two weeks of BeautifulMemory's 30 day no cheat meals challenge complete. Maybe because Insanity is so damn hard it seems easier by comparison, I'm not sure. Need to get this goddamn tire around my belly gone in any case!

nickcv

and here we are. i skipped the last updates, mainly because i didn't have much to write about =P

week 5 is over and i just started week 6
the new chest shoulder and triceps routine is killing me and is really depressing that the 50 years old woman is better then me in pretty much every exercise XD

the new biceps routine was amazing, i felt a constant burn through all the weekend.

antti-la

Half way through. Day 45.

Not a single skipped workout and been very strict with diet (maybe three mildly cheat Saturdays in all).

Except! Today and tomorrow are going to be the first workouts I have to skip.

Because of these unfortunate events, I'll do BiBack Friday(normally Wednesday), YogaX Saturday and Legs and back Sunday, so i guess it won't make a big harm? Next week is rest again (I hate it when they call it rest when it clearly Isn't).

In the last few weeks I've tuned my calories optimal for burning my bf. 1900kcal@50%30%20% and I feel like it really makes all the difference.

My most stubbornest belly/waist fat has clearly started to shrunk just now, I have fought with these flabs for over a year now. Makes me super excited. Can't wait to take Day60 photos for comparsion, it just might be something worth posting to the Internet already.

Btw. When i'm on a caloric deficit / diet like this, slowly I start to feel little anxious all the time. Suddenly i get all tensed about social situations, sweat from nothing a lot more than used to etc. Not feeling so great all the time. Have any of you experienced the same when losing bodyfat / cutting / dieting?

KingGondo

Banned
antti-la: If you're feeling *that* bad because of your diet, your body is telling you something.

Maybe you should up your healthy caloric intake until you stop feeling so anxious.

antti-la

Well that came out sounding worse than it really is again. As English is not my native language it often comes out more exaggerated than it really is. It is not *that* bad. But has definitely happened every time i go below my suggested calorie intake, it also goes away quite quickly once I go back to normal.

KingGondo

Banned
Well that came out sounding worse than it really is again. As English is not my native language it often comes out more exaggerated than it really is. It is not *that* bad. But has definitely happened every time i go below my suggested calorie intake, it also goes away quite quickly once I go back to normal.
Gotcha.

I'd still say just listen to your body and do what you've been doing. And your schedule change-up shouldn't be negative--as long as you're not straying too much from the plan, you're gonna see results.

Keep it up!

LaneDS

Day three of Insanity done. Really didn't want to do it, but slept for an hour or so after work and then forced myself to. Sort of used thinking along what SteveMeister posted earlier in the week, about how his birthday is coming up and he's got a four year old kid... just thought of the people that I care about and made myself do it, and I did it to the best of my ability (didn't quit with ten minutes left, like yesterday).

Also, now on the third week of BM's 30 day no cheat meal challenge. Bought some apples yesterday, which I haven't done in forever, and those are some delicious relatively guilt-free eating (trying not to eat more than two a day, since they've got plenty of sugar).

Hope everyone else is doing a good job with their respective programs and goals.

Stampy

Bought some apples yesterday, which I haven't done in forever, and those are some delicious relatively guilt-free eating (trying not to eat more than two a day, since they've got plenty of sugar).

I really don't get it. Maybe it's because different metabolisms and different body types that this holds true, but judging from my case, no matter how much fruit in its raw form I eat there is no way in hell that I will get extra weight due to that. After throwing out any type of sugar, bread, all types of processed stuff, food cooked in oil or other fatty/greasy stuff, and for drink just gulping water, there is hardly any way, no matter how much vegetables, fruit, lean meat, grains or fish I would eat, that my weight would be compromised. Is it really true that for some people it matters how much fruit or vegetables they eat (like 2 or 6 apples a day) if they throw out of their diet all the garbage, simple carbs and fat?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
When you track your macronutrients in order to stay within specific goals, you quickly find out which foods can blow your budget. For example, the average American consumes roughly 300g carbs per day. Low-carb diets like Primal recommend an average of 100-150g carbs per day for maintenance and 50-100g carbs per day for weight loss. The lower end of that range is a ketogenic diet.

When I lost a bunch of weight two years ago I was super strict and kept my carbs as low as possible, and did some intermittent fasting (a dinner-to-dinner fast once a week). The pounds flew off. I dropped from 210 to 149 in about 5 months. I moved to maintenance & went back to about 165. Last year I fell off the wagon during crunch time & gained about 25 lbs, so this year I went low carb again, though not quite as low, but added the Beachbody workouts I've been doing since January. While losing the weight I strove to average 75-100g carbs per day. When I met my weight loss goal I went back to maintenance mode and now stick to about 150g carbs to day on average.

Anyway, that was a lengthy way of describing how my macronutrient budget played a role in weight loss. Tracking food and exercise was key. When you're only allowing yourself 50-75g carbs in a day you have to go for foods that give you the most bang for your buck. With fruit, that's blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and to a lesser extent blueberries. Apples, oranges and bananas have significantly more carbs than berries but are lower in many nutrients and antioxidants than berries. So, berries give you more bang for the buck.

A single, medium sized apple has about 25g carbs. A banana, around 27g. An orange, 15g. A whole cup of blackberries is under 14g carbs. If you're on a low-carb or ketogenic diet, you can see what a big chunk of your daily carb budget a single apple can be.

Stampy

I appreciate the detailed explanation, even more taking into account that I was never into counting calories or stuff like that. However although I do see a point in such categorical systems, on a personal level I have to say that the most important thing when eating food for me is eating good stuff in as much varied fashion as possible. I mean every fruit/vegetable is unique, we don&#8217;t even know all the phytonutrients which they contain, and a diet which includes all possible healthy food can only be beneficial for your health. Any diet which restricts access to any type of healthy food can only be described as limited. Not saying berries are bad, they are monsters, but why focus only on them. BTW did any of you try eating aronia, it is something else. I bought like 15 kilos this summer, put it to freezer, and now I use it for shakes, mixing it with yogurts and stuff.

What is also extra important, and I don&#8217;t see it being talked about that much, is how you prepare your food. For example difference between spinach cooked for a minute and immediately drained and spinach cooked for 5 minutes, can be significant when comparing nutritive values. Or cooking anything with oil (which becomes messed up with heath), when on the other hand you can use stock for sautéing (my sugestion would be to avoid oil in any type of cooking, just cover everything with olive oil after cooking), using steam instead of water whenever possible, etc. For example yesterday I had broccoli steamed for 5 minutes max covered with lemon juice and olive oil. Really tasty.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Yep, whole foods are the best. The least amount of processing is what you should look for. Raw or lightly cooked vegetables & fruits. Extra virgin oils. High quality beef (grass fed is best). Free range chickens (they're omnivorous, and the meat and eggs are far healthier if the birds have access to bugs, worms & larvae). There are some people who go so far as to drink "raw" unpasteurized milk. It's healthier but you have to KNOW when that cow was milked. And so on.

Supplementation isn't a bad idea either, especially as you age. It's hard to get everything you need from food even when you do eat healthily.

I don't track my food intake anymore. I did it long enough to where I know what I'm getting on a daily basis. But it's a really good exercise to do it for a while so that you can learn & change things if need be.

mehdi_san

I've been having troubles finding the motivation to do my workouts recently. After finishing a round of P90X and another one of X2, I tried going back to P90X and started a new round two weeks ago. But I've been missing half the workouts, procrastinating for hours instead. My plan was to try and catch up during the weekend but I ended up going out all night with friends (and playing games too). I started thinking that maybe I need a little break. I'm thinking on keeping at least 3 workouts a week: Plyo, yoga, and a resistance workout (rotate every week from chest and back to shoulders and arms etc..). I hope this will be enough to maintain a good fitness level, while allowing me to spend more times on other things (like salsa dancing!)

Top Bottom