• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

TrounceX

You think that would be better than giving P90X a go again? I'm probably only about half as fit as I would like to be. I'm not sure how intense P90X2 is in comparison to the original.

I got better results with p90x2 even though it felt easier.

I tried to figure out for the longest time how this was possible, and finally just decided it was the pacing. Original P90X has some brutal back to back exercises that make me want to quit early. I'm sure it's different for each person though.

And I just motivated myself (that's why I come to this thread) to do my scheduled body beast routine - Build: Legs. Goddamn that was tough, and I got the biggest hamstring cramp during the last giant set. The most excruciating pain I've felt in a long, long time. Wow.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
You think that would be better than giving P90X a go again? I'm probably only about half as fit as I would like to be. I'm not sure how intense P90X2 is in comparison to the original.

There's no right choice; both programs are fantastic. Personally, I'd go with P90X2 all the way. I think you get more benefits with it.

In terms of intensity, if you push yourself as hard as you can (as you should), P90X2 can be more challenging than P90X. Some might say that stuff like Plyometrics are harder on X1, but I felt that Plyocide is as challenging. Also Base and Back and Chest Back Balance are considerably more difficult than Legs and Back and Chest and Back.

Thanks for the input guys. Just finished day 1. It's as intense as the first time I did day 1!

I'll look into P90X2 to see if I want to just jump into that or try the original again first.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
This has become a pretty bad back injury. I'm going to be out of commission for a couple weeks. I can barely walk -- standing up straight is pretty excruciating. X-ray doesn't show anything, so the doc gave me an anti-inflammation injection and prescriptions for muscle relaxers and pain meds. Gonna stay home tomorrow and take it easy, and try to find some therapeutic positions & movements (maybe the rumble roller will help too).

Curse you, Spartan Lunges!

This has become a pretty bad back injury. I'm going to be out of commission for a couple weeks. I can barely walk -- standing up straight is pretty excruciating. X-ray doesn't show anything, so the doc gave me an anti-inflammation injection and prescriptions for muscle relaxers and pain meds. Gonna stay home tomorrow and take it easy, and try to find some therapeutic positions & movements (maybe the rumble roller will help too).

I am so sorry :( hang in there...must be frustrating and killing you that you are injured

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Yeah, I hope you recover soon man.
------
Just finished my Recovery & Mobility and my recovery week. I'm feeling pumped and ready to start another 4 weeks of X2 Phase 2.

KtSlime

Just finished Day 1, wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be, but my muscles are much stiffer after the workout today than P90 Sculpt ever made them. I imagine I'm going to be pretty sore tomorrow.

Wish the sessions weren't quite as long. It was hard enough finding 45 minutes a day, 1hour-1.5 hours a day is a lot of time to devote. I'm in this for the long haul though.

Stampy

I am curious as I get injured lots of time, without knowing why. Tendonitis is a major pain in ass, and yet I can't pinpoint when it actually occurs.

So are you aware of what you made wrong, or the injury just happened regardless of your caution?

And yeah I wish you best of luck in recovering. It is really frustrating when you want to exercise and you just can't.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I am curious as I get injured lots of time, without knowing why. Tendonitis is a major pain in ass, and yet I can't pinpoint when it actually occurs.

So are you aware of what you made wrong, or the injury just happened regardless of your caution?

And yeah I wish you best of luck in recovering. It is really frustrating when you want to exercise and you just can't.

Thanks everyone. Feels a good bit better this morning. Fortunately it doesn't hurt while I'm lying down, so between that & the meds I managed to get a good night's sleep. Definitely still painful, though.

As to this injury, my guess is that I didn't have my core engaged properly and my form was probably off. Spartan lunges are a combination of impact and twisting, and I think that when I came down into a lunge while also twisting my torso the impact is what did it.

I might change these to step-back lunges in the future.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

DAMN. Take it easy Steve, please don't try and dive back in too fast or too intense! Definitely start with yoga and foam rolling before moving to anything else. Sorry man :(

Hoping for a speedy recovery for you Steve.

Today is my first day of the bulk phase for Body Beast. Pretty crazy but I've already seen a difference in definition with my shoulders from these last 3 weeks. I moved my bench into the house yesterday so no more stability ball for me. I also picked up an EZ bar this past weekend so this will be my first week using that. Still not digging Sagi and the brogade but enjoying all the heavy lifting.

LaneDS

Thanks everyone. Feels a good bit better this morning. Fortunately it doesn't hurt while I'm lying down, so between that & the meds I managed to get a good night's sleep. Definitely still painful, though.

As to this injury, my guess is that I didn't have my core engaged properly and my form was probably off. Spartan lunges are a combination of impact and twisting, and I think that when I came down into a lunge while also twisting my torso the impact is what did it.

I might change these to step-back lunges in the future.

One of the loudest and scariest popping noises I can remember came from doing Spartan Lunges... I remember waiting for horrible pain to follow but it never happened. Either way, I hope you wake up tomorrow feeling 100% again.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Tomorrow @ 4pm Pacific:

416876_544463462237196_376643473_n.jpg

LaneDS

I haven't been participating as actively in the thread for the past few days since I was busy moving apartments and dealing with all the annoying little things that go with that stuff, but tonight I plan on doing P90X day 1 and going through the original program for a second time. Seems like my place is pretty sturdy (and carpeted) so I'm hoping I can get away with doing Insanity in place of some of the cardio workouts (and then do a full, proper Insanity run soon), but I'm going with the quieter P90X for a start.

Also, lowest weight in years this morning at 182.something... getting to sub-180 will be very exciting for me (and I will be shaving my beard then after years of it being attached to my face). Goal is still 160 or 165, and I'm going to keep up BM's "no cheat meal" challenge as long as I can (worst thing I've eaten in the last four weeks was a biscuit that came with a healthy omlette I ordered... which I feel is sort of me failing the challenge but at the same time I'm glad to say there's only been one lapse, and it was small/delicious).

Edit: Also, also! I am officially registered for the Mid-Atlantic Tough Mudder race on April 13, 2013. If any VA/DC/MD P90X gaffers are interested in meeting up for this, lemme know! I'm super amped and now feel a renewed sense of "gotta train hard and eat right!"

Just finished Day 1, wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be, but my muscles are much stiffer after the workout today than P90 Sculpt ever made them. I imagine I'm going to be pretty sore tomorrow.

Wish the sessions weren't quite as long. It was hard enough finding 45 minutes a day, 1hour-1.5 hours a day is a lot of time to devote. I'm in this for the long haul though.

Have fun with Plyo.... mwahahahahahah!

apesh1t

Banned
Welp only lasted 20 minutes with yoga. I have no balance and an hour and a half is too much. Someone else tell me that they skip things too, because I feel like I'm letting myself down. I had a rough night last night and woke up with a massive headache. It's not fast pace enough for me to stay motivated. I may jump back in it just to get 10 more minutes but I honestly feel like shit and would only half ass it.

This was my first day of yoga.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Welp only lasted 20 minutes with yoga. I have no balance and an hour and a half is too much. Someone else tell me that they skip things too, because I feel like I'm letting myself down. I had a rough night last night and woke up with a massive headache. It's not fast pace enough for me to stay motivated. I may jump back in it just to get 10 more minutes but I honestly feel like shit and would only half ass it.

P90X rule #1: don't skip the yoga. How are you gonna become better at it if you just skip it? Yoga is an extremely important part of the program, and it complements the rest of the X workouts.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Yoga is the foundation upon which the rest of the program is laid. Stick with it, and you'll improve each time.

LaneDS, I'll have to look into that tough mudder. I'll google it.

Back progress report-- took it easy today. Doc gave me some good pain meds & a muscle relaxer, and I've been wearing a heating pad. Still hurts to stand up but it's getting better. Probably need another day of keeping it as un-stressed as possible before I think about doing anything more active than walking.

deadlast

For you and anyone else that might be interested:

http://toughmudder.com/

This has been my "goal line" for a long while. I'll set a new goal after successfully crossing this one though.
The one thing that kills me about the tough murder is all of the out of shape dudes I see wearing tough murder shirts. Also, make sure you are used to running. Some buddies of mine said that was the one area that they wish they would have trained.

LaneDS

The one thing that kills me about the tough murder is all of the out of shape dudes I see wearing tough murder shirts. Also, make sure you are used to running. Some buddies of mine said that was the one area that they wish they would have trained.

For sure, totally going to be working in a half-marathon training schedule prior to doing the race. I've actually never seen anyone with a Tough Mudder shirt around here (VA/DC area) but have no doubt that plenty of out of shape people attempt it, but I aim to be not one of those people.

It's hard to contemplate doing this right now, but once I'm recovered I'll think about it.

Looking at the events, I'd say Asylum vol 1 looks tailor-made to train for this.

I was actually thinking that hearing some of your accounts of what was in there. Either way, loooong way for me to go but there are another six months of hard work between now and then.

deadlast

For sure, totally going to be working in a half-marathon training schedule prior to doing the race. I've actually never seen anyone with a Tough Mudder shirt around here (VA/DC area) but have no doubt that plenty of out of shape people attempt it, but I aim to be not one of those people.

Make the drive up to Frederick MD sometime. There were a bunch dudes walking around in tough mudder shirts the day after the tough mudder. Too bad the organizers had to cancel the second day.

LaneDS

Oh I'm not doubting you for a second, but for me Tough Mudder is about challenging myself and myself alone... if others aren't going to take it seriously, that's on them, but I want to prove to myself that I can do something that physically challenging and do it well (and then share with y'all about how I did!).

deadlast

Oh I'm not doubting you for a second, but for me Tough Mudder is about challenging myself and myself alone... if others aren't going to take it seriously, that's on them, but I want to prove to myself that I can do something that physically challenging and do it well (and then share with y'all about how I did!).

I think you will do fine, based on your previous posts. Also, I think there is a workout program on the tough mudder site. My co-worker was training for the one that just happened. He said he ran the Annapolis 10 miler to make sure he was ready for the running portion.

LaneDS

What does Body Beast require, outside of the ridiculous(ly awesome) 5,000 calorie a day diet? If you've got gear for P90X and P90X2, can you just get the DVDs and get started? Why am I typing all of this out instead of Googling this? We'll never know!

TrounceX

What does Body Beast require, outside of the ridiculous(ly awesome) 5,000 calorie a day diet? If you've got gear for P90X and P90X2, can you just get the DVDs and get started? Why am I typing all of this out instead of Googling this? We'll never know!

Lots and lots of dumbells.

I have Select Techs and I'm constantly running around changing weights. Probably burn more calories changing weights than actually lifting them.

Also you need a bench and an EZ Curl bar, and even more weights for the bar.

I pretty much have a gym in my basement these days it's ridiculous.

P90X rule #1: don't skip the yoga. How are you gonna become better at it if you just skip it? Yoga is an extremely important part of the program, and it complements the rest of the X workouts.

I always skipped Yoga and I got really great results. Not that important imo. Just keeping it real.

Say more!

What does it entail?

Like with all the BB routines you do sets of 15, 12, 8. Increasing weight with each set. If you're using the proper weights this is hard enough but in Bulk Legs there is this Split Squat Progressive set. In a lunge position, you do 15, 12, then 8 reps with increasing weights for one leg, then switch to the other leg. Then you go back to the first leg doing 8, 12, and then 15 reps finishing up by doing the same thing to the other leg.

Lots and lots of dumbells.

I have Select Techs and I'm constantly running around changing weights. Probably burn more calories changing weights than actually lifting them.

Also you need a bench and an EZ Curl bar, and even more weights for the bar.

You actual don't need these two things. All you need are dumbbells (sorry, no bands) a stability ball and a pull up bar. I did the first month with just these things and the moves are just as hard if not harder with the stability ball.

TrounceX

Oops just did Bulk: Shoulders instead of Build: Shoulders

I can hardly hold my hands up to type on the keyboard right now. ugh

Like with all the BB routines you do sets of 15, 12, 8. Increasing weight with each set. If you're using the proper weights this is hard enough but in Bulk Legs there is this Split Squat Progressive set. In a lunge position, you do 15, 12, then 8 reps with increasing weights for one leg, then switch to the other leg. Then you go back to the first leg doing 8, 12, and then 15 reps finishing up by doing the same thing to the other leg.

Ah yeah I was just doing those progressive sets in the shoulder routine. So hard.

Not looking forward to doing that on a leg routine. Legs are a massive weak point for me.

LaneDS

Cool, at some point I'll get around to trying it. Purchased Powerblocks before P90X2 so it sounds like those + stability ball and the Power Tower I'm purchasing for pull-ups would be enough. Might invest in a bench by then too.

FOOTE

Try to get to the 45 minute mark. You should be able to finish the workout with ease if you can do that.

mehdi_san

There's a clip for beachbody.com at the end of every workout (P90X) with a bunch of people on beaches who keep repeating that they're gonna help me (FREE! lol...). I've watched that video so many times now, but there's one guy I still can't figure out what he's saying. It sounds to me like
So what do YOU want?
Fitness!
Greaaaaat legs!
The ability to live loooong strawberries!
But I don't really thing that's what he says... Anyone has any idea what it actually is? lol

Shit Steve, sorry to hear about the injury, how's recovery coming along?

It's been said but add me to the pile of people saying it...don't skip Yoga. Yoga comes off as a sort of glue that strengthens your whole body to bring all of the workouts together. Extremely annoying, slow, boring at times....and important.

On a personal note, I'm now a week and a half into Insanity. I'm not as big a fan of it as I am p90x...much less variety, but damn if it isn't efficient at what it does, and that's cardio, cardio, cardio. Violent little fucker, this one.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Shit Steve, sorry to hear about the injury, how's recovery coming along?

Thanks. I'm already feeling much better. Sunday I could barely stand up straight or walk a few feet without a great deal of pain. Monday was marginally better. Tuesday I could walk & stand up straight with only a little pain. This morning I just did the first 10 minutes of X2 Recovery & Mobility, slowly and carefully, with no issues, and there's only a little pain if I twist the "wrong" way. So I'm on my way to recovery, I just need to be careful and keep taking my pain meds.

Thanks. I'm already feeling much better. Sunday I could barely stand up straight or walk a few feet without a great deal of pain. Monday was marginally better. Tuesday I could walk & stand up straight with only a little pain. This morning I just did the first 10 minutes of X2 Recovery & Mobility, slowly and carefully, with no issues, and there's only a little pain if I twist the "wrong" way. So I'm on my way to recovery, I just need to be careful and keep taking my pain meds.

That's good to hear. We're rooting for you.

This only means yoga its definitely an area of growth for you to tackle. Skipping it will deprive you the opportunity to grow

Shouldn't this now the the official beach body topic? It seems everyone mixes between them all :S

One and a half weeks left of the beast. By far the most fun I've had with all of the beach body program's.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I always skipped Yoga and I got really great results. Not that important imo. Just keeping it real.

Same. I might do it at some point, but for people that don't have a lot of strength it causes overtraining. It's supposed to be a light day, but if you're weak, it's just interfering with muscle repair/growth.

For maximum strength gain, I did 3 main course workouts per week, plus a couple of foam rolling days during recovery. Also you have to eat a lot to get the most out of it.

Unfortunately that eating also results in some fat gain. I'm nearly half way in my cut phase. It's much easier to lose fat when you've got strength to do tons of cardio in a near ketogenic state.

I also often kept rescheduling workouts that did pullups. I found the schedule again too aggressive and it caused overtraining by putting tons of hardcore pullups within 2 days of each other.

Basically when Tony says modify, modify. When Tony says "everyyyybody does blah", modify. You know your body the best. There's tons of variables. So long as you're modifying to maximize results rather than make excuses, it's an improvement in my book.

So I'm finally doing something right. Up 5 lbs in 4 weeks. The combination of the diet and Body Beast finally getting me to where I want to be, that elusive 190lbs. I hope everyone else is reaching their goals.

Top Bottom