• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

KingGondo

Banned
Welp, I finished X2 tonight. My core is stronger than ever before, that's for sure.

Thread has slowed down quite a lot. I hope you all are still trying to reach your goals.
Taking a bit of a breather after my second round of X1.

My new equipment arrived this week, so I'll be diving into X2 starting Monday. Looking forward to it!

Welp, I finished X2 tonight. My core is stronger than ever before, that's for sure.

Thread has slowed down quite a lot. I hope you all are still trying to reach your goals.

I, for one, haven't had internet for the past few days due to Sandy. (Well, there IS my phone, but I've also been busy)

I'm still powering through Insanity, I've about a week left till I'm done the first month.

LaneDS

Everything's closed today due to the storm. Work is liberal leave but with daycare closed and the weather folks not recommending people drive after mid-day I'm expecting to stay home. LaneDS, I hope you are able to stay home & safe today as well, same goes for everyone else in the mid-Atlantic & North East. About 75 miles West of me they're expecting up to 35" of snow from this (Western MD & West Viriginia). Looks like it's going to be a good ski season out there. We might see some wet snow here in rural Loudoun County tonight but they're not expecting any accumulation. Just several inches of rain & very high winds.

You get your power back? Storm was pretty mild here considering how bad some folks back home (I'm from CT) got it, but the concern was appreciated! It did the most damage to my diet, because after completing 30 days of clean eating I've basically eaten like shit for the past week. Oh well. Travelling to Florida to visit ailing grandmother this weekend (was supposed to go last weekend but the storm changed plans) and then on Monday I'm going to properly start P90X again (sans plyo, since my new place just won't work for it so I'll need some other cardio option).

Goal will be cleaning eating until Thanksgiving, and then again until Christmas. Five months and three weeks until Tough Mudder so I want to make the most of that time.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Our power was out for just under 24 hours, so not too bad. No damage or trees down and the horses did fine. There was some flooding at the bottom of our property (we're on the top of a hill) but that's about 25' or so lower elevation than the house is so no worries there.

Back to my workouts, I've done X2 Core and Yoga so far and am now off to do X2 Balance & Power. My back is feeling fine.

I am probably going to take this whole week off. Very tired from my current schedule and I think perhaps it's time to just rest and not even do the recovery workouts

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Just finished my last workout as a single man. See you guys on the other side.

Congrats! Don't go too crazy at your bachelor party ;-)

Les Mills Combat is out December 4th. Here's the site:

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/les-mills-combat-workout.do

Damn, now I'm not sure if I should do Body Beast or that. Both programs look really good. On one hand, I'll like to gain more mass. On the other, Les Mills Combat looks insanely fun and will help you with your athleticism more.

I'm definitely doing Les Mills Combat after P90X2, and Body Beast after. Looks like it'll be in mid-January.

LaneDS

I am probably going to take this whole week off. Very tired from my current schedule and I think perhaps it's time to just rest and not even do the recovery workouts

Don't do what I did (/always do) and eat like shit on your rest week! Makes you feel so much worse. Need to figure out what I'm doing for my diet starting on Monday after my trip and stick with it... feel like I lost all my progress from the 30 days with no cheat meals by eating garbage for the last week.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. Truly a great community.

Happy for you :)

Don't do what I did (/always do) and eat like shit on your rest week! Makes you feel so much worse. Need to figure out what I'm doing for my diet starting on Monday after my trip and stick with it... feel like I lost all my progress from the 30 days with no cheat meals by eating garbage for the last week.

Thanks Lane. My motivation is not wanting to buy new sets of clothes. Just don't have the money for them. What did you eat that was "garbage"? :(

Just finished my last workout as a single man. See you guys on the other side.

congrats man
Wrestling_yes.gif

Finished Body Beast. Big increase in shoulder, arms and chest size.

Gonna round up with a month of Insanity then just focus on martial arts for my fitness.

Results-1.jpg

1. Fatness stage
2. P90X
3. P90X2
4. Insanity
5. Body Beast

Insanity. Was gonna take it easy but that Les Mills Combat.... I have it in my head to do all of the BB workouts so ill probably be doing that too.

FOOTE

Finished Body Beast. Big increase in shoulder, arms and chest size.

Gonna round up with a month of Insanity then just focus on martial arts for my fitness.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/kingwoods/Results-1.jpg[IMG]

1. Fatness stage
2. P90X
3. P90X2
4. Insanity
5. Body Beast[/QUOTE]

Some incredible stuff here. Happy for you, man.

FOOTE

Ok. I put in the first Body Beast DVD and I don't think I can work with the instructor... Tony Horton and Shawn Thompson are great, they seem to really be motivated and seem to want to motivate you. But "The Beast" seems so lame, so uninterested I really don't think I can take instruction from him.

Maybe I've been spoiled with the other guys, but it's not going to work with this guy right now. I might try it again after a few months but for now I'm going to look elsewhere for a mass building routine.

Another issue (probably) is that things are really dragging me down in my personal life (again). So if there is something that I dislike, and can easily tune out I'm going to do it. I'm sure the routine is exactly what I want right now, but I can't do it if I dislike the instructor as much as I do.

Side (and happier) note- I worked with my macros this morning to figure out what I need to pack on some muscle and stay lean. The numbers really fell into place great after I did some tweaking.

BTW- I want on the P90X2 Grad list, DC!

Ok. I put in the first Body Beast DVD and I don't think I can work with the instructor... Tony Horton and Shawn Thompson are great, they seem to really be motivated and seem to want to motivate you. But "The Beast" seems so lame, so uninterested I really don't think I can take instruction from him.

Maybe I've been spoiled with the other guys, but it's not going to work with this guy right now. I might try it again after a few months but for now I'm going to look elsewhere for a mass building routine.

Another issue (probably) is that things are really dragging me down in my personal life (again). So if there is something that I dislike, and can easily tune out I'm going to do it. I'm sure the routine is exactly what I want right now, but I can't do it if I dislike the instructor as much as I do.

Side (and happier) note- I worked with my macros this morning to figure out what I need to pack on some muscle and stay lean. The numbers really fell into place great after I did some tweaking.

BTW- I want on the P90X2 Grad list, DC!

I used my headphones after the first few days. I only took them out when i was confused about what to do. But after doing a few exercises you remembered them.

By the end of it I did all the workouts with headphones. Rock music and weights go so well together.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Cross-post.

Agh. So my break week from P90X/2 was 2 weeks ago. Last week I came down with a cold. It got a bit better, but my throat is still very scratchy and I'm still a bit down. I don't know if I can take 3 weeks off from working out, but I don't want to get more sick.

Should I do a light workout or something? Maybe do kenpo instead of starting month 2?

EDIT: Adding you Foote! Good work.

Cross-post.

Agh. So my break week from P90X/2 was 2 weeks ago. Last week I came down with a cold. It got a bit better, but my throat is still very scratchy and I'm still a bit down. I don't know if I can take 3 weeks off from working out, but I don't want to get more sick.

Should I do a light workout or something? Maybe do kenpo instead of starting month 2?

Whatever you do, don't push it too hard when you start up. After 3 months of Insanity, I had to take a 10 day break for a business trip followed by a weekend in Vegas for a wedding. When I got back, I decided to jump back in to Insanity Max Plyo and a 30 minute kettlebell workout to "make up" for my sloth. I ended up being out another 2 weeks after straining a muscle.

LaneDS

Way to go I_D! I still remember your original mid-X2 progress pictures as being the catalyst that got me into this and I'm guessing others will see your progress and do the same, so that's pretty awesome I reckon.

Hope everyone's been doing well with their respective programs and goals over the last week or two. I've been busy with all sorts of non-health related things but am taking things seriously again starting today. Five months and change until Tough Mudder and I want to go all out in that time with working hard and dieting.

Question for the thread- do you think HIIT can be an alright replacement for plyometrics? I can't do the jump heavy programs in my current living space anymore, so I'm trying to figure out what I can do on cardio-heavy days. Might just try and run or bike for an hour plus, but thinking HIIT could be a good substitute.

Also, looked into CrossFit (which I know gets a lot of likely deserved negative comments) but was blown away by how pricey it was. Expected somewhere around $100 a month but found it to be about double that. Still might consider it for a few months leading up to the race, but that is a tough pill to swallow. Plus all the classes near me don't seem to have weekend offerings, which seems ridiculous considering the price.

FOOTE

I used my headphones after the first few days. I only took them out when i was confused about what to do. But after doing a few exercises you remembered them.

By the end of it I did all the workouts with headphones. Rock music and weights go so well together.
Im probably going to go with Body Beast. At least I know what to expect when I pop the DVD in. Hopefully I learn the routines quickly so I can blast some music.
Cross-post.

Thanks.

Whatever you do, don't push it too hard when you start up. After 3 months of Insanity, I had to take a 10 day break for a business trip followed by a weekend in Vegas for a wedding. When I got back, I decided to jump back in to Insanity Max Plyo and a 30 minute kettlebell workout to "make up" for my sloth. I ended up being out another 2 weeks after straining a muscle.
Gotta agree. I really would just concentrate on getting healthy. Drink a lot of water and eat good.

Way to go I_D! I still remember your original mid-X2 progress pictures as being the catalyst that got me into this and I'm guessing others will see your progress and do the same, so that's pretty awesome I reckon.

Hope everyone's been doing well with their respective programs and goals over the last week or two. I've been busy with all sorts of non-health related things but am taking things seriously again starting today. Five months and change until Tough Mudder and I want to go all out in that time with working hard and dieting.

Question for the thread- do you think HIIT can be an alright replacement for plyometrics? I can't do the jump heavy programs in my current living space anymore, so I'm trying to figure out what I can do on cardio-heavy days. Might just try and run or bike for an hour plus, but thinking HIIT could be a good substitute.

Also, looked into CrossFit (which I know gets a lot of likely deserved negative comments) but was blown away by how pricey it was. Expected somewhere around $100 a month but found it to be about double that. Still might consider it for a few months leading up to the race, but that is a tough pill to swallow. Plus all the classes near me don't seem to have weekend offerings, which seems ridiculous considering the price.
HIIT would be good IMO. Go for it.

I also looked into crossfit. Looks fun, really fun. There is no way I'm paying that much a month for it though.

LaneDS

HIIT would be good IMO. Go for it.

I also looked into crossfit. Looks fun, really fun. There is no way I'm paying that much a month for it though.

Will probably find a place nearby outside for running, but think I can do HIIT on a treadmill easily enough? Been a long time since I've tried it or looked at the specifics but I recall it being like, sprint for 30-60 seconds, run regular speed for about the same amount of time, and repeat x number of times.

Oh, and congrats on finishing X2!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Will probably find a place nearby outside for running, but think I can do HIIT on a treadmill easily enough? Been a long time since I've tried it or looked at the specifics but I recall it being like, sprint for 30-60 seconds, run regular speed for about the same amount of time, and repeat x number of times.

Oh, and congrats on finishing X2!

You can do it on a treadmill. Some of the better ones allow you to program the intervals; otherwise it's a matter of switching manually. How much of a pain that will be varies dramatically with the treadmill's controls.

For those doing Body Beast are you taking the supplements it's advertised with?

I had a protein shake for breakfast with a 3 egg omelette
Protein Bar at 11am
Protein Bar at 3 or protein related snack w/ Protein Shake
Workout followed by a recovering drink with a 2:1 carb:protein ratio
Protein Shake 1 hour before bed

It was pretty damn expensive. I also took multi vitamins, cod liver oil and occasionally Creatine but it gave me stomach cramps so i stopped using it.

LaneDS

You can do it on a treadmill. Some of the better ones allow you to program the intervals; otherwise it's a matter of switching manually. How much of a pain that will be varies dramatically with the treadmill's controls.

Cool, I haven't checked out the fitness center at my new place yet but I'm sure it's feasible. Next summer when I'm looking for my next place I'm either stomping around a bunch or just getting a ground floor unit so I can go all out and not worry about it.

Chest & back tonight with my new standalone pull up bar (which also lets me do dips on it, which I'm excited about instead of doing chair dips), and I have a strong desire to bring it. Might start drinking Pharm Assault again too.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Starting another Recovery week today. Next Sunday is my 10K, so I'm resting more since I don't wanna bonk at the race. I'll be running 45 mins two days this week, and the rest of days will be Recovery & Mobility, Yoga and Power and Balance.

FOOTE

Starting another Recovery week today. Next Sunday is my 10K, so I'm resting more since I don't wanna bonk at the race. I'll be running 45 mins two days this week, and the rest of days will be Recovery & Mobility, Yoga and Power and Balance.

Yeah I'm recovering this week, I need the break. Gonna be so good. I'll officially start Body Beast on Saturday.

Well, after being lazy for eons... im starting insanity tomorrow to hopefully lose 10-20 pounds over the next two months. I decided on this because it is pure cardio, and pure cardio has worked for me in the past VERY WELL, and i wasnt even dieting.

Diet wont be the the textbook but it will be healthy foods, no sugar (especially not soda). Snacking throughout the day to get metabolism up.

couple questions: BANANAS? are these a weight gainer? my cousin told me they were :/ is he bananas or?

FOOTE

Well, after being lazy for eons... im starting insanity tomorrow to hopefully lose 10-20 pounds over the next two months. I decided on this because it is pure cardio, and pure cardio has worked for me in the past VERY WELL, and i wasnt even dieting.

Diet wont be the the textbook but it will be healthy foods, no sugar (especially not soda). Snacking throughout the day to get metabolism up.

couple questions: BANANAS? are these a weight gainer? my cousin told me they were :/ is he bananas or?

I eat one banana a day. Good luck with Insanity.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Bananas have a ton of sugar and carbs so, yeah, for some people they could be weight gainers.

TrounceX

For those doing Body Beast are you taking the supplements it's advertised with?

Heck no. My intuition tells me it's totally overpriced. And I'm bored so time for some research

Body Beast Stack:

Base Shake ($60) 25 servings at $2.40/s
Super Suma ($30)30 servings at $1/s
Fuel Shot ($50) 25 servings at $2/s
Creatine Maxx ($30) 25 servings at $1.20/s

or $6.60/workout

Now let me do the same with some comparable (better) supplements from bodybuilding.com:

5lbs Optimum Gold Standard Whey ($52) 77 servings at $.69/s
ASN Phytobol ($37) 90 servings at $.40/s
BSN NO Xplode ($32) 50 Servings at $.66/s
Optimum Creatine Monohydrate ($15) 120 servings at $.13/s

or $1.88/workout

Umm yeah, wow. That is some bullshit. The creatine is an especially egregious offender. Btw those are the supplements I would recommend to anyone doing the program. I've tried a lot of different ones, and those are my favorite.

I eat one banana a day. Good luck with Insanity.

Bananas have a ton of sugar and carbs so, yeah, for some people they could be weight gainers.

Hmmm to eat them or not to eat them?

I ask because my fruit eatings are limited.

I CANNOT EAT APPLES. ALLERGIC. GRAPES NEITHER. :(

Im basically relegated to strawberries and raspberries, and occasionally blue (not a big fan). I do however like bananas as they are filling.

Espresso

Banned
Do what I do: blend a banana with 2%/whole milk into a smoothie and finish with a pinch of cinnamon on top. Makes for a delicious and nutritious breakfast!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Some advice on Insanity.

First & foremost: Get a heart rate monitor. Continuous monitors are best -- these usually have a chest strap that connects wirelessly to a watch or to a smartphone. I used a Wahoo Fitness BlueHR strap and the iCardio app on my iPhone 4S. This uses Bluetooth 4.0 and the app has some really great tracking features.

Next: Calculate your target heart rate zones. There are a lot of tools for this. Your tracking app might have one built-in, otherwise you can search the web.

Insanity is not "just" cardio. It's all about "Max Interval Training". The idea is that you work out in your anaerobic or max effort zones for a period of time, and then "recover" usually to your aerobic zone, and repeat. The Insanity workouts are structured to build up your heart rate through the warmup, then go through several intervals (max/recover, max/recover, etc), followed by a cooldown. To get the most benefit you really want to be in the correct heart rate zones, and a continuous heart rate monitor is the best way to do this because you can always glance over at where you are and see it going up & down as you change your level of effort.

If you're not in or near your max effort zone during the interval, you're not pushing hard enough and you're not going to get full benefit out of it. Note that this doesn't necessarily mean you'll be keeping up with the folks in the video, but that's not important. What's important is managing YOUR heartrate. As you go through the program you'll find your stamina improving and you'll be able to work with more intensity during the intervals.

Next, shoes. Insanity includes a lot of high-impact plyometrics (aka jump training) and lots of lateral moves. The shoes you choose need to have good cushioning and good lateral support. When I did Insanity, I used Nike FreeRunner + shoes, which are extremely light and have excellent cushioning but poor lateral support. This was not a good situation. I later did Asylum, and while that's a VERY different beast from Insanity, I bought better shoes -- Rebook CrossFlex Nano 2.0's. Again these are light, excellent cushioning and have great lateral support. A much better shoe for Insanity. You should look more at cross training shoes and less at running shoes.

Next, form is more important than speed. Don't worry about keeping up with the video. Try to keep your form as clean as possible. If you find yourself getting sloppy because you're tired, slow down a bit. It's easy to injure yourself with some of these moves if you're not doing them correctly. I got a minor ankle injury doing switch kicks because I got sloppy & backed into a sofa. Focusing on my form & slowing down a bit would have prevented this. I had to work out with my ankle wrapped for about 6 weeks after that.

And the last bit of advice: Don't push pause. Between the warm-up and cool-down, you're supposed to go continuously with only the breaks Shaun T gives you (which are very brief). If it's too hard, you need to slow down a bit. But don't pause the video. The reason this is important is because if you take too long a break, you'll recover too much and you'll lose the benefit of the interval training. Note that this only applies to Insanity. Don't feel bad about pressing pause in P90X, X2, or even Asylum. None of those are based on Interval training.

Persona86

Banned

Im basically relegated to strawberries and raspberries, and occasionally blue (not a big fan). I do however like bananas as they are filling.

I actually read that bananas boost your metabolism, so enjoy. :)

I'd say eat them if your overall diet/exercise are sound. One or two won't mess things up

Top Bottom