• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Pop in MAX Interval Circuit and see if you can dominate that one! Fit test is the shortest of all the workouts, and some later days apparently have the fit test followed by something else (possibly MAX Interval Circuit, actually)... so if you think is easy, you're actually Wolverine as many of us have suspected (which is awesome).

In other news, I just had a cup of Fage Greek yogurt and a scoop of strawberry Syntha 6 and didn't hate it, which is a big improvement from every other time I've had Greek yogurt and totally hated it. Going to have to try it with chocolate peanut butter (which I wanted, but effed up and ordered strawberry somehow... which thankfully is pretty tasty).

LOL, I've got Wolvies' body hair, at least.

I wish I could stomach yogurt...for some reason every yogurt I've tried has straight up repulsed me. It's so good for you, too :(

burnfout

Started P90X2 a week ago after finishing P90X three weeks ago.

I really love the focus on the core, and all the balance moves.

Too bad I injured my neck waking up one night, so I had to pause for 4 days :(

Did Total Body X2 today, loved it, all these workouts almost feel like cardio, my heartrate is up high all the way through. Triceps kickbacks on stability ball are hard :(

Also just saw Radiohead tonight, what a great show. What a good day :)

LaneDS

Think I should try a run on today, my first proper rest (no recovery workout) day for Insanity? I feel bad doing nothing physical for a whole day.

Also feel bored enough where I want to just eat something delicious, arrgh.

Think I should try a run on today, my first proper rest (no recovery workout) day for Insanity? I feel bad doing nothing physical for a whole day.

Also feel bored enough where I want to just eat something delicious, arrgh.

Time to treat yourself an apple, an organic snack bar, a protein bar, or more Fage!

SteveMeister said:
Chobani plain with almonds, raspberries and a liberal amount of cinnamon ftw.

Or a big dollop of Chobani plain 2% on chili.

I also make tuna and salmon salads with plain Greek yogurt instead of mayo.

you are way more resourceful than me...all of it sounds good. I really like having fruits along with yogurt.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Done with Base & Back. I'm now focusing on better form with pull-ups. My numbers decreased, but now I'm doing the pull/chin ups with a greater range of motion. The workout got much harder because of this.

Now I'm finally taking my recovery week since I feel as if I was lynched by an angry mob.

Ill Saint

Back on the P90X train. Chest and Back done, but the loss of strength after 3 months of not bringin' it sucks. Nice to be hitting play again, though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Water weight is really screwy. I weighed at 204.5 yesterday during the day, and this morning weighed at 199.5. :p

Week 3 of my hybrid starts today!

LaneDS

DC, could you please post a link to the hybrid you're doing? I'm still thinking of switching out of Insanity mostly because I feel like such a jerk for doing it inside my apartment (and I've moving on Friday, so I really don't want to upset new neighbors with it).

To switch it up to a hybrid (or pure X/X2) would feel sort of like quitting, but I think my reason is mostly legit.

Week 2 completed! I did better with most of the exercises, especially in yoga. Take that half moon twist!

Did only half of chest and back today and pinched my lower back putting weights down after heavy pants. I had a straight back and bent legs. So I guess I'll just stretch this week, work out the kink and get back to it next week.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Going through P90X2 for the first time, I'm currently in the recovery week before phase 3. Really excited about PAP, never tried it before (and I don't want to spoil it by looking at the videos beforehand :p). Bring the pain etc.
I jumped right into P90X2 after sitting on my ass for 6 months, before that I went through two rounds of P90X. It's good to be back in it.
And yeah, I don't post much in this thread, but always enjoy reading it. :)

Ixian

DC, could you please post a link to the hybrid you're doing? I'm still thinking of switching out of Insanity mostly because I feel like such a jerk for doing it inside my apartment (and I've moving on Friday, so I really don't want to upset new neighbors with it).

To switch it up to a hybrid (or pure X/X2) would feel sort of like quitting, but I think my reason is mostly legit.
Sounds like excuses to me!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Yeah, but it's in my gmail and it's not wanting to load at work. I should be able to post it tonight.

LaneDS

Going through P90X2 for the first time, I'm currently in the recovery week before phase 3. Really excited about PAP, never tried it before (and I don't want to spoil it by looking at the videos beforehand :p). Bring the pain etc.
I jumped right into P90X2 after sitting on my ass for 6 months, before that I went through two rounds of P90X. It's good to be back in it.
And yeah, I don't post much in this thread, but always enjoy reading it. :)

Good luck! PAP is (by most accounts) intense stuff, but I really liked both lower and upper precisely because of that.

Sounds like excuses to me!

I mean yes, I don't love it so far, but stomping around full bore in an old apartment with thin floors isn't making me any friends, y'know?

I'm thinking if I drop Insanity I will make up for it by adding running (or HIIT) 3-4 days a week. I want to be a machine by April for my Tough Mudder.

Edit: Or a spaceman t-rex. Either/or.

Yeah, but it's in my gmail and it's not wanting to load at work. I should be able to post it tonight.

Thanks!

LaneDS

Sorry y'all, didn't want the neighbors getting miffed. Did P90X Shoulders/Chest/Tris+ARX and it kicked my ass like it was week one all over again.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Progress pic. Done with 6 weeks of X2 and currently on my Recovery week. From the last time I updated, I've seen a very nice improvement in my biceps, which is great. Back seems about the same, although I just started doing pull/chin ups with a greater range of motion.

jgNxvQJrXcjl2.png

This week I'm definitely resting as much as I can since I really feel burned out. Tomorrow I'll start my running preparation for the 10K, which is in less than a month. I'll maybe do an Endurance X too on Thursday.

mehdi_san

Re: shoes. I looked around at the mall and online too, but it seems the Reebok Crossfit line of products is only available in the US. I read a lot of good reviews online about the nano 2.0 (and they were recommended in this thread), so I ended up ordering them from the US online store. International shipping was expensive (ugh...) but I'm really excited to get them. First thing I'll do is try PlyoX/Plyocide with them :)

Progress pic. Done with 6 weeks of X2 and currently on my Recovery week. From the last time I updated, I've seen a very nice improvement in my biceps, which is great. Back seems about the same, although I just started doing pull/chin ups with a greater range of motion.

http://i.minus.com/jgNxvQJrXcjl2.png[IMG]

This week I'm definitely resting as much as I can since I really feel burned out. Tomorrow I'll start my running preparation for the 10K, which is in less than a month. I'll maybe do an Endurance X too on Thursday.[/QUOTE]
Are you butt naked on that second pic? In any case, you look badass! Did you also take pics before you started X2?

I am going to school and work full-time. Man i am really learning the hard lessons of adjusting to what my body is telling me

1. Two months ago I tried to do Chest/Back in the morning (6am) instead of at night (10pm), I did something wrong and I ended up getting sick

2. A couple weeks ago, after doing Back and Biceps, I was so tired that for the first time in almost in a year I skipped ab ripper x

3. Last Friday I came home from work completely tired and passed out, ended up skipping a complete workout (yoga) for the first time. Made up yoga the next day. Never did a double in my life

4. Just now I did, well kind of, chest/back. Went into the workout all hyped, and soon my body began to give up on me. I could literally feel my body closing shop and my numbers just dropped like crazy. I had to listen to my body and now skipping ab ripper again

I told myself if I pushed myself it would be hypocritical of me since it is no longer about health but about my damn ego, about having some kind of imaginary ripped body that no one cares or gets to see anyway

Stampy

What kind of changes did you all notice with regards to your attitude either towards yourself and/or towards others after finishing P90x or after seriously training for some time.

In so much pain right now. Think I got some bad tendonitis in my right foot. Can't walk without a limp. Don't know how I can heal without staying off the foot for a while. Any recommendations for an altered plan of P90X for a week that doesn't involve putting any pressure on my feet?

Was thinking of doing mainly Chest and Back/Shoulders and Arms (push ups will be assisted from knees and not feet) and not doing any lower body exercises and see how I feel after that?

Ouch :(

LaneDS

What kind of changes did you all notice with regards to your attitude either towards yourself and/or towards others after finishing P90x or after seriously training for some time.

Is this directed at the thread, or BM specifically? Couldn't tell!

In so much pain right now. Think I got some bad tendonitis in my right foot. Can't walk without a limp. Don't know how I can heal without staying off the foot for a while. Any recommendations for an altered plan of P90X for a week that doesn't involve putting any pressure on my feet?

Was thinking of doing mainly Chest and Back/Shoulders and Arms (push ups will be assisted from knees and not feet) and not doing any lower body exercises and see how I feel after that?

Ouch :(

Ah bummer man... I don't have a suggestion myself other than to focus on healing first, but I'd reckon the internet has a few alternate exercises you can find if you search for how to train with an injured food. Get well soon and all that jazz.

As for me, I'm doing Insanity tonight (in lieu of plyo). MAX something, to make up for doing an X1 workout yesterday (so sore today!).

Has anyone ever bought one of those Power Tower things for pull ups? I don't think I want to use the chin up bar at my new place because even at 185 pounds the pressure warps the door frame it seems like, and I'd rather not do that. So I figure buying a standalone device for pull ups (and dips!) would be best, even if it'll be pretty unsightly. Feedback on that is appreciated!

Stampy

Is this directed at the thread, or BM specifically? Couldn't tell!

Well my question was based on something he said "it is no longer about health but about my damn ego, about having some kind of imaginary ripped body that no one cares or gets to see anyway". But it is generally directed. :)

Hi Schopenhauer!

As for me, when I started I had two goals: lose weight, and look like one of those people in the infomercials: buff, ripped, etc

That changed throughout when I was doing p90x as I got to know my body better and as it became quiet clear the ulterior motive, for myself, is really about being healthy

Of course I still would like to look a certain way (on the assumption that somehow it makes me "better"), and it's a constant battle everyday. Do I get happy to see how I have changed from when I first started? Absolutely

At the same time, I found for myself that isn't a very sustaining motivator. For one, people really don't care. They move on after noticing how much weight I have lost. Then what's my alternative? Trying to find as many excuses as possible to be shirtless? Not my style, and rather shallow

All that's ego talk, has nothing to do with being a better human being

LaneDS

Losing the weight is the first step, but what's stopping you from going that extra mile to get the body you (and most of us) have always wanted? I don't care if it's considered egotistical to want that physique, and while being healthy and fit is still one of my goals, my end goal is to look (and feel) my absolute best. I want to share photos in this thread next April before and after my Tough Mudder and look like someone that worked hard nearly every day for over a year to get there. People can call that shallow... but it's a difficult road to attain that body, and I respect those that are able to do it.

More to the point of the question posed though, my attitude didn't change much aside from just generally being able to focus on healthier living, but I'm better equipped at helping others I meet with their diet and fitness goals, and I really enjoy trying to help those I interact with live healthier lives. Someday I might even consider some sort of side career path (or even just a pro-bono thing) where I help others get healthier, because I've found I really enjoy it (it's a big reason why I'm so active in this thread... I like helping others and value all the help the rest of you provide me with too).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I did P90X the first round with two pretty specific goals in mind:
1) Lose weight
2) Get "in shape," specifically with regard to my very weak upper body

I imagined that I'd do P90X, accomplish these goals, and then be generally done with intensive fitness. The biggest change in attitude I encountered was around day 45 or so, I realized that I wouldn't be "done" on day 90, and in fact I'd never be done in any sense. It's a lifestyle shift to being more active and healthier that P90X was just the gateway and motivating force behind. I did a pretty intensive second round right after, and while I've relaxed my diet a bit and don't follow as strict a training schedule (though I am planning to start another full classic schedule round on Monday), it's definitely changed me permanently and for the better.

Even though I'm not totally happy with my body in its current form, I no longer look at it as something I need to change and then be done changing at a certain point- instead, I'll be constantly doing my best to improve whenever and however I can.

Well Lane as for myself I'm an ectomorph. I was so surprised when I saw my weight just coming off. I literally shrunk. I can mass but I have too much going on in my life to eat differently for now and I really like the lean-flexible functional fitness that P90X/X2 strives for

But sometimes things just don't work out man. We all have different bodies with different histories. Sometimes I still don't get why someone has more visible results than others

LaneDS

Well Lane as for myself I'm an ectomorph. I was so surprised when I saw my weight just coming off. I literally shrunk. I can mass but I have too much going on in my life to eat differently for now and I really like the lean-flexible functional fitness that P90X/X2 strives for

But sometimes things just don't work out man. We all have different bodies with different histories. Sometimes I still don't get why someone has more visible results than others

I know, and some people have an easier time of things than others, but I truly believe you and just about anyone else can get the body they've dreamed of. Will it be difficult? Absolutely. But I think it's attainable with lots of hard work and the right diet. And the more I do these Beach Body programs, the more I think they alone will not provide me with those results, but they're a great start at least.

Ixian

Biggest change for me:

Before P90X: Weight lifting is dumb!
After P90X: I now own a weight bench and do lifting exclusively.

mehdi_san

Are carbs all equal?
The other day, I learned in this thread about "good" fats and "bad" fats, so I was wondering if there's something similar with carbs? Are the carbs in an apple or in tofu better than carbs in a chocolate bar?

By the way, I was grocery shopping the other day and I couldn't believe the amount of products advertised as diet food because of their low fat content (ex: 0% fat yogurt), when they're actually super high in carbs (~_~;)

Ixian

Are carbs all equal?
The other day, I learned in this thread about "good" fats and "bad" fats, so I was wondering if there's something similar with carbs? Are the carbs in an apple or in tofu better than carbs in a chocolate bar?

By the way, I was grocery shopping the other day and I couldn't believe the amount of products advertised as diet food because of their low fat content (ex: 0% fat yogurt), when they're actually super high in carbs (~_~;)
As with most things fitness related, you'll find opposing camps about this. There are people who follow the IIFYM strategy (if it fits your macros -- that is, you could eat a cheesecake or what have you if you didn't exceed your allotted carbs/fats for the day) with great success. You also have to consider the other benefits an apple provides, though.

mehdi_san

Thanks for both your answers. So it seems indeed that not all carbs are born equal. It makes me realizes the limitations of the macros model too. You could eat chicken fried in unsaturated fat and chocolate (simple sugars) all day, and while it may fill your macros, I have a hard time believing it would be good for your body.

LaneDS

Hit a milestone this morning... I started back in March at 204 something, and today I had my lowest weigh-in at 183.6, meaning I've officially passed 20 pounds lost through these programs.

Also, BM, three weeks in the bank for the no cheat meals thing- today is day 22. While I will likely allow myself something after day 30, my current idea is to keep this going as long as I can.

KingGondo

Banned
Hit a milestone this morning... I started back in March at 204 something, and today I had my lowest weigh-in at 183.6, meaning I've officially passed 20 pounds lost through these programs.

Also, BM, three weeks in the bank for the no cheat meals thing- today is day 22. While I will likely allow myself something after day 30, my current idea is to keep this going as long as I can.
Awesome work, Lane!

I know the food thing was the hardest for you, but hopefully the fact that it's paying off is motivation to keep it going.

Keep it up!

LaneDS

Awesome work, Lane!

I know the food thing was the hardest for you, but hopefully the fact that it's paying off is motivation to keep it going.

Keep it up!

Thanks man! I owe you and this thread's posters quite a bit of credit for my progress these past few months, for sure.

Just started P90x for the first time after seeing the great results here. I haven't done much work-out type stuff before, and I've discovered that I'm completely shit at push ups - I can barely do more than a few at a time, my arms are so weak lol.

Gonna stick with it though and see how it goes! :D

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Just started P90x for the first time after seeing the great results here. I haven't done much work-out type stuff before, and I've discovered that I'm completely shit at push ups - I can barely do more than a few at a time, my arms are so weak lol.

That's the spirit! Do as many as you can with good form, then do some more on your knees. You'll get there eventually.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Everytime that someone says he/she started P90X, it reminds me of my first day, and how after a Chest/Back session, I flooded the gym's bathroom with, well, you know what........

Haha, it's been a long way.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Push ups are my weak point as well, but stick with it. I saw incredible gains there especially in month 2.

I've been doing P90x and P90x 2 on and off for the better part of 3 years. Right now I'm just so damn bored with the workouts that I have no motivation to continue doing them. I haven't worked out much at all the past 6 - 8 weeks and I'm feeling like a lazy piece of shit. But I just can't get up for these workouts anymore. Any advice?

KingGondo

Banned
I've been doing P90x and P90x 2 on and off for the better part of 3 years. Right now I'm just so damn bored with the workouts that I have no motivation to continue doing them. I haven't worked out much at all the past 6 - 8 weeks and I'm feeling like a lazy piece of shit. But I just can't get up for these workouts anymore. Any advice?
There's always Insanity.

Or you could take a break from the workouts altogether and do something on your own. Running outside and lifting at the gym has its place, although that can get monotonous too.

You could also try playing sports a couple times a week to break up the monotony.

There's always Insanity.

Or you could take a break from the workouts altogether and do something on your own. Running outside and lifting at the gym has its place, although that can get monotonous too.

You could also try playing sports a couple times a week to break up the monotony.

My issue with running is that I burned myself out during college. I used to 70 miles a week for XC/track training. I'm also trying to get away from the ultra lean build I had back then (hence starting P90x to put on some muscle mass).

I signed up for a 3 week trial at my local crossfit gym, and while it was fun and different, it costs $200/month. That's not a price i'm willing to pay to work out in a crossfit gym 2x per week.

KingGondo

Banned
My issue with running is that I burned myself out during college. I used to 70 miles a week for XC/track training. I'm also trying to get away from the ultra lean build I had back then (hence starting P90x to put on some muscle mass).

I signed up for a 3 week trial at my local crossfit gym, and while it was fun and different, it costs $200/month. That's not a price i'm willing to pay to work out in a crossfit gym 2x per week.
Maybe you could try running 2 or 3X a week? Just because you get back into it doesn't mean you have to run 70 miles/week or lose all the muscle mass you've gained.

If you do that and emphasize the P90X/2 workouts that are your favorite a couple times a week (I like Core Syn), it might be easier to get back in the swing of things.

And like I said, you could always try Insanity. Lots of people (probably including me next week) do that once they're burned out on P90X.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Don't tell Tony you did Crossfit ;)

TooBO.gif

Top Bottom