• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Being even more specific: One medium banana (7"-8" long) has 27g carbs. That's about 1/2 cup of fruit. 1 cup of mashed banana is about 51g carbs. That's almost as much as a medium Coke at McDonald's!

If you're trying to burn fat, that's a pretty significant chunk of your daily carb allowance. I try to stay around 150g on average for maintenance, and between 50g and 100g on average for fat burning.

For comparison:

1 cup strawberries = 12g carbs
1 cup blueberries = 15g carbs
1 cup blackberries = 15g carbs
1 cup apples = 17g carbs
1 cup oranges = 21g carbs

I prefer berries myself. Because you eat the skin, you get more nutrients and antioxidants and they are relatively low in carbs, and tend to have more fiber and less sugars that fruits eaten without the skin.

deadlast

So yesterday I was feeling really lazy and was thinking of blowing off Legs and Back... Then my phone started buzzing. On my calendar had an event that said 7:30 P90x Bring It. So I did. I was amazed at how that little notification made me get off my butt and do what needed to get done.

LaneDS

So yesterday I was feeling really lazy and was thinking of blowing off Legs and Back... Then my phone started buzzing. On my calendar had an event that said 7:30 P90x Bring It. So I did. I was amazed at how that little notification made me get off my butt and do what needed to get done.

Good work man!

Did chest & back on Monday, skipped Tuesday (election day took priority + can't do plyo at my place anymore /sadface), and did shoulders & arms yesterday. Have really upped the weight and reps from what I was doing for these workouts from last March and I am appropriately sore. Going to a show tonight (Anamanaguchi & Fang Island... super psyched) so I'm not sure I can get yoga in prior to going, but will try, and am amped for legs & back tomorrow since I've neglected legs for weeks now it seems like.

Still floating around 183 and really want to get under that 180 lb barrier.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Next week I'll start phase 2 of my hybrid. Sucks having to miss 2.5 weeks, but I think I'm finally healthy. Still baffled that I lost the most weight in my weeks off...

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Saturday ends Week 3 of Phase 1 of P90X2 for me. I'm going to do a fourth week, since I had an 8-day gap due to my back injury & illness. I'm feeling like I'm making progress so the injury is no longer a factor at all.

My biggest problem is the stability ball I have -- it's the 55cm one and that is just too small for some of the moves. I have the 65cm one on the way, will hopefully have it in time for Sunday's workout.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Yesterday I ate 2 slices of chocolate cake and today I just finished a small pizza by myself. I think Tony would be mad at me.

On Recovery week, but I'll be doing X2 Shoulder and Arms today to get some peace of mind. lol

Also:

60664_10151246277052248_1344124671_n.jpg

haha

nickcv

i didn't write many updates recently... but anyhow:
i'm in the first week of phase 3.
last week i was finally able to wear a shirt that didn't fit me for the last 2 years... it was even roomy!
out of curiosity i stepped on a scale. since the beginning of this thing i lost pretty much 6kg...

i didn't write many updates recently... but anyhow:
i'm in the first week of phase 3.
last week i was finally able to wear a shirt that didn't fit me for the last 2 years... it was even roomy!
out of curiosity i stepped on a scale. since the beginning of this thing i lost pretty much 6kg...

Good work man. Results always motivate more workouts. Just check the scales once every phase or itll drive you insane

Some advice on Insanity.

First & foremost: Get a heart rate monitor. Continuous monitors are best -- these usually have a chest strap that connects wirelessly to a watch or to a smartphone. I used a Wahoo Fitness BlueHR strap and the iCardio app on my iPhone 4S. This uses Bluetooth 4.0 and the app has some really great tracking features.

Next: Calculate your target heart rate zones. There are a lot of tools for this. Your tracking app might have one built-in, otherwise you can search the web.

Insanity is not "just" cardio. It's all about "Max Interval Training". The idea is that you work out in your anaerobic or max effort zones for a period of time, and then "recover" usually to your aerobic zone, and repeat. The Insanity workouts are structured to build up your heart rate through the warmup, then go through several intervals (max/recover, max/recover, etc), followed by a cooldown. To get the most benefit you really want to be in the correct heart rate zones, and a continuous heart rate monitor is the best way to do this because you can always glance over at where you are and see it going up & down as you change your level of effort.

If you're not in or near your max effort zone during the interval, you're not pushing hard enough and you're not going to get full benefit out of it. Note that this doesn't necessarily mean you'll be keeping up with the folks in the video, but that's not important. What's important is managing YOUR heartrate. As you go through the program you'll find your stamina improving and you'll be able to work with more intensity during the intervals.

Next, shoes. Insanity includes a lot of high-impact plyometrics (aka jump training) and lots of lateral moves. The shoes you choose need to have good cushioning and good lateral support. When I did Insanity, I used Nike FreeRunner + shoes, which are extremely light and have excellent cushioning but poor lateral support. This was not a good situation. I later did Asylum, and while that's a VERY different beast from Insanity, I bought better shoes -- Rebook CrossFlex Nano 2.0's. Again these are light, excellent cushioning and have great lateral support. A much better shoe for Insanity. You should look more at cross training shoes and less at running shoes.

Next, form is more important than speed. Don't worry about keeping up with the video. Try to keep your form as clean as possible. If you find yourself getting sloppy because you're tired, slow down a bit. It's easy to injure yourself with some of these moves if you're not doing them correctly. I got a minor ankle injury doing switch kicks because I got sloppy & backed into a sofa. Focusing on my form & slowing down a bit would have prevented this. I had to work out with my ankle wrapped for about 6 weeks after that.

And the last bit of advice: Don't push pause. Between the warm-up and cool-down, you're supposed to go continuously with only the breaks Shaun T gives you (which are very brief). If it's too hard, you need to slow down a bit. But don't pause the video. The reason this is important is because if you take too long a break, you'll recover too much and you'll lose the benefit of the interval training. Note that this only applies to Insanity. Don't feel bad about pressing pause in P90X, X2, or even Asylum. None of those are based on Interval training.

Thanks for the advice, and others people gave as well.

Yes I have done max interval training before (just not insanity) and lost about 15 pounds in the process... but wanted to kick it up a notch with this program. Also, I THINK my shoes are alright, so no worries there.

And yes i realise its important to keep heartrate up so not many breaks and its good to know that its ok to not be able to keep up all time with them lol.. they are way beyond me. I do pause sometimes in between reps for a few seconds, but im pretty sure my Heart rate doesnt plummet or rest in that amount of time.

I will be buying a heartrate monitor as well, just to make sure.

Im on day 4, and holy hell these exercises have been harder than anything I did in month 1 of p90x. I am sweating buckets and my arms turn beat red :)

I also have been eating healthy for a whole week, and that means no sugar (soda addiction go to hell!!)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I hath returned after losing 10 lbs.

I think I've retained over 90% of my strength. Felt sort of weak, but I managed well in Shoulders/Arms.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Tomorrow at 7:00 am is the 10K race that I've been waiting for for a long time. I'll be representing all my P90X brothers there.

Now I'm off to sleep.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm back from the race (even though it was done a long time ago). It was fucking awesome. I'm not a runner and have only participated in one 5k, but I think I did damn well. 10k without ever stopping or walking, on a city known for its high altitutude.

Needless to say, the good performance was all thanks to P90X2.

At the end of this Nike race people were handing out flyers for another 10K next Sunday, so I'll be joining that one too since I felt great.

KingGondo

Banned
I'm back from the race (even though it was done a long time ago). It was fucking awesome. I'm not a runner and have only participated in one 5k, but I think I did damn well. 10k without ever stopping or walking, on a city known for its high altitutude.

At the end of this Nike race people were handing out flyers for another 10K next Sunday, so I'll be joining that one too since I felt great.
Well done!

Badass, good job!

Back from my honeymoon. Definitely put on a couple. 6 weeks of Body Beast left. I'm hoping Asylum 2 is out by then. Has anyone heard anything on its release?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Back from my honeymoon. Definitely put on a couple. 6 weeks of Body Beast left. I'm hoping Asylum 2 is out by then. Has anyone heard anything on its release?

It's out! $59.85 through Beachbody.com or TeamBeachbody.com.

And don't worry about the couple pounds. It's your honeymoon, all that matters is that you had a great time :)

It's out! $59.85 through Beachbody.com or TeamBeachbody.com.

And don't worry about the couple pounds. It's your honeymoon, all that matters is that you had a great time :)

Great news. I need some Shaun T in my life. I've been doing Body Beast on mute for awhile now.

Are you doing Asylum 2 after X2 or that Les Mills (sp?) program?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Great news. I need some Shaun T in my life. I've been doing Body Beast on mute for awhile now.

Are you doing Asylum 2 after X2 or that Les Mills (sp?) program?

Since PAP looks to be a lot like Asylum, right now my plan is to do Les Mills Combat after X2. After that I'll probably do AV2 and then Body Beast.

KingGondo

Banned
Just finished my first workout of X2. The last two weeks have been crazy for me (unexpectedly traveling for work, hectic schedule) so it's been hard for me to get into a routine.

As for my progress so far: after my second round of X2, my weight has stabilized at 200, down from 220 when I started. I've seen very noticeable gains in muscle mass in my upper body and I've also slimmed down a lot from the waist down.

My goal is to not miss a single day of X2, just like my first round of X1. If I can get through the holidays without gaining weight (or maybe even losing 5-10 lbs.) I'll be ecstatic!

Wish me luck!

Stampy

Great work BM, do you have a first picture before you started to work out? Your constitution reminds me of mine (which is 0 developed, unlike yours), so I am just wondering where you came from.

Great job BM. You should be proud that you are still getting results even with your hectic schedule. Keep it up.

Side note: Tony will be on Dr. Oz today.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
You are definitley continually progressing with the results. Great stuff.

BTW, this reminds me, did they stop publishing Tony chats on Beachbody HQ?

Nope, there's always 2 per month. Next one is this Thursday at 4pm pacific.

Edit: You meant the location? The one before the last chat was on their HQ.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Finally back to workouts. Yesterday almost killed me though.

I think when I am done with this hybrid I'll order Asylum 1 and 2, and do them back to back.

EDIT: Actually, I see on the Asylum 2 page that it comes with a 60 day 1/2 hybrid. Maybe I should do that.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Hmm, the last one I can find on Beachbody HQ is from October 4th. Are you looking somewhere else for the newer ones?

That was the last one on their HQ. The one after it was somewhere else, and was some kind of interview between Tony and Mr. Congdon Curls.
------

BTW, today I start my last P90X2 Phase 2 week. I took a day off yesterday because my legs were sore from the 10K, but I'm feeling great now.

Thanks everyone! It really has been difficult. I have skipped more workouts in the past month than the past year. And Steelo yes I'm still getting food from Tony :)

LaneDS

Thanks everyone! It really has been difficult. I have skipped more workouts in the past month than the past year. And Steelo yes I'm still getting food from Tony :)

The difference was immediately clear! As others have said, the muscle definition is uh, definite, and that's awesome because I know you've felt discouraged at times in the past. Keep it up!

I'm going to use your progress as a motivator for myself because I've been bad about eating (very bad) and even exercising I haven't been too strict on. No longer. Gotta stop feeling down on myself which causes me to quit on both of those things and then feel even worse. If you can get results on a hectic schedule then I will too. I'm 187 today. I'm going to shoot for 175 by January 1st, or at the very least sub-180.

Starting right now.

LaneDS

This probably sounds ridiculous, but I've had an oddly tingling arm since the middle of the day and I'm looking up all the possible causes of that, one of which is diabetes. Would feel like a tremendous asshole if my binge fast food eating finally caught up with me, but right now I'm going to drink a lot of water and nap for a couple hours in the hopes the tingling goes away and I find out that it's nothing.

Anyone ever get that?

How is it going now Lane?

The closest thing I have experienced is when my arms just kind of fall asleep on their own due to fatigue. I can literally feel my arms stop working

LaneDS

How is it going now Lane?

The closest thing I have experienced is when my arms just kind of fall asleep on their own due to fatigue. I can literally feel my arms stop working

Still tingling. Just watching the diet today, drinking a lot of water, and hoping I wake up tomorrow with it gone. I'll post in the morning in any case.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Chest Back and Balance relentlessly kicks my butt week after week.

This probably sounds ridiculous, but I've had an oddly tingling arm since the middle of the day and I'm looking up all the possible causes of that, one of which is diabetes. Would feel like a tremendous asshole if my binge fast food eating finally caught up with me, but right now I'm going to drink a lot of water and nap for a couple hours in the hopes the tingling goes away and I find out that it's nothing.

Anyone ever get that?

Lane, I know exactly what you are talking about. I used to have a horrible tingling in my left hand about 2 years ago. Shit drove me insane and I started googling to see if it was a symptom of some disease. It all got into my head; one second I thought I could have diabetes, other times I thought I could have carpal tunel syndrome, etc.

The tingling I had was due to high stress, and because at that time I used to drink a shitload of Red Bull (insane amounts of sugar).

Anyway, I'd suggest to try to relax, lower your sugar intake and see if the tingling goes away. If not, don't look for stuff on the Internet; just pay your doctor a visit and find if you have something that way.

LaneDS

Lane, I know exactly what you are talking about. I used to have a horrible tingling in my left hand about 2 years ago. Shit drove me insane and I started googling to see if it was a symptom of some disease. It all got into my head; one second I thought I could have diabetes, other times I thought I could have carpal tunel syndrome, etc.

The tingling I had was due to high stress, and because at that time I used to drink a shitload of Red Bull (insane amounts of sugar).

Anyway, I'd suggest to try to relax, lower your sugar intake and see if the tingling goes away. If not, don't look for stuff on the Internet; just pay your doctor a visit and find if you have something that way.

Thanks man. Took it easy all night and while I felt it whenever I woke up, it's lessened a bit by now. I'm going to give it through the day before calling a doctor (because now it's been going on for more than twelve hours), since my schedule is busy this week and I'd have to get creative to make it there. Will cut sugar out as much as I'm able, and will try to avoid sugar free but caffeine high drinks today (which is difficult, but maybe necessary). Ugh.

Top Bottom