• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

FOOTE

Take the day off. I've been at this for awhile. That day off is much needed.
agreed
Does anyone else have a weaker arm? I hate when my left arm fails on me while doing curls.

I had a right shoulder injury about a year ago that likes to creep up on me and causes it to fatigue quickly sometimes. It's annoying when I'm doing one of those drop sets for lawn mowers or whatever and I want to go up to 50lbs for the first eight and barely make it through the drop while my left shoulder is taking it like a champ.

I hear you on the curls too. At least those last few reps are always TOUGH, like Tony taught me all those years ago.

fuenf

Thanks for the advice in the past few days. Shoulders & Arms went much better today, I took my time and focused on the right form. It was tough to put my ego aside and do the straight arm stuff with just the bars (5lbs), but it was the right thing to do. Overall the exercises made lots of fun today.

FOOTE

Thanks for the advice in the past few days. Shoulders & Arms went much better today, I took my time and focused on the right form. It was tough to put my ego aside and do the straight arm stuff with just the bars (5lbs), but it was the right thing to do. Overall the exercises made lots of fun today.

You have an excellent attitude. You're going to make it. Keep it up!

fuenf

Yoga X was strange, I liked the first 30 to 40 minutes (up until Warrior 3) and it was a far better exercise than I imagined. However, I'm not really sure about the latter part. Some of the poses / exercises don't look like something a Yoga beginner should do and alternatives are seldomly shown. I think, I'll cut the Yoga part short, and do the first 30minutes + some balance poses / stretches I feel confident doing.

And if I might add, fuck Adam, Daniel ftw and Audra is hot.

Is it possible to substitute Yoga with Cardio X or Stretch X?

KingGondo

Banned
Yoga X was strange, I liked the first 30 to 40 minutes (up until Warrior 3) and it was a far better exercise than I imagined. However, I'm not really sure about the latter part. Some of the poses / exercises don't look like something a Yoga beginner should do and alternatives are seldomly shown. I think, I'll cut the Yoga part short, and do the first 30minutes + some balance poses / stretches I feel confident doing.

I definitely wouldn't cut Yoga short or substitute it, at least when you're first starting out.

The balance phase is a bit much, though--I agree. I'd do it one more time at least and find which ones are beneficial to you; for me, I found immense benefit from Frog, for example.

Yoga Belly Seven is a bit much too, especially if you're doing Ab Ripper X as recommended.

If you can, I'd try to get a copy of X2 Yoga and substitute that. It's much more streamlined and fun, IMO.

oatmeal

Banned
Going to start this back up again when I get home from holidays. Got throuhg about 75 days in the summer and then I was traveling so much I couldn't keep up.

Gained a few pounds since I stopped, but I was able to crank out 8 pull ups (full arm extension) yesterday so I haven't lost TOO much arm strength yet.

Yoga is essential, critical to the program. If I may, it is important for you to keep it up. The very fact that you are feeling about dropping it means there's a hurdle worth getting over.

As for non-beginner moves, what didn't you find comfortable? When I did it it was really crane and plow that made me feel uncomfortable

And if it's too long for you, play your favorite movie, 90 minutes goes back quick

fuenf

Yoga is essential, critical to the program. If I may, it is important for you to keep it up. The very fact that you are feeling about dropping it means there's a hurdle worth getting over.

As for non-beginner moves, what didn't you find comfortable? When I did it it was really crane and plow that made me feel uncomfortable

And if it's too long for you, play your favorite movie, 90 minutes goes back quick

I think I've got the most trouble with the leg scissor, it's incredible hard for me to straighten both legs at an 90° angle (same goes for AB Ripper X). I didnt attempt the crane stuff, but the shoulder-stand made me feel uncomfortable. I can do it without much trouble, but I'm constantly worrying about the form or what would happen if I fall over. It's just the feeling that there are some moves that my core cant support (yet) and I'm worried that I might mess up my body up by doing them wrong.

I definitely wouldn't cut Yoga short or substitute it, at least when you're first starting out.

The balance phase is a bit much, though--I agree. I'd do it one more time at least and find which ones are beneficial to you; for me, I found immense benefit from Frog, for example.

Yoga Belly Seven is a bit much too, especially if you're doing Ab Ripper X as recommended.

If you can, I'd try to get a copy of X2 Yoga and substitute that. It's much more streamlined and fun, IMO.

I dont want to drop it completely, but I'd rather just do the first part and then add the later moves at my own pace. I'll try to find the moves that are beneficial next time... Unfortunately I can't get a copy of the X2 Yoga (Beachbody isnt really that popular in Germany, and thus I know no one whos doing their programs).

But you guys I right, my first AB Ripper X experience was similar, because I wasnt used to balance my body like that. It already went much better the second time around, maybe it's the same with Yoga.

Wellscha

So I think I'm going to start p90x with my roommate soon. I just have a couple of questions I hope you guys could help me with;

I won't lie, I'm morbidly obese. It's one of the reasons why I I'm doing p90x, so after doing a little bit of research it looks like I have to eat over 4000 calories in order to lose weight. Isn't eating this much would be counter productive?

My other question, am really going to be able to do push ups and pull ups with arms fully extended by 90 days? being morbidly obese all my life and never being able to do them I find it kinda hard to believe that I'm only 90 days away from doing something I couldn't do all my life.

I think I've got the most trouble with the leg scissor, it's incredible hard for me to straighten both legs at an 90° angle (same goes for AB Ripper X). I didnt attempt the crane stuff, but the shoulder-stand made me feel uncomfortable. I can do it without much trouble, but I'm constantly worrying about the form or what would happen if I fall over. It's just the feeling that there are some moves that my core cant support (yet) and I'm worried that I might mess up my body up by doing them wrong.

I dont want to drop it completely, but I'd rather just do the first part and then add the later moves at my own pace. I'll try to find the moves that are beneficial next time... Unfortunately I can't get a copy of the X2 Yoga (Beachbody isnt really that popular in Germany, and thus I know no one whos doing their programs).

But you guys I right, my first AB Ripper X experience was similar, because I wasnt used to balance my body like that. It already went much better the second time around, maybe it's the same with Yoga.

Gotcha. I understand the worry for injuries. I worry about it all the time, even now after a year with the program.Things will come with time. Part of the process is learning how to communicate with your body and finding out your limits while not being injured. If things don't feel right, don't do it for now and just do a simple stretch instead for that one minute. I didn't really attempt warrior 3 or crane or plow until the 2nd month. My progress was literally just being able to hold a form for 2 more secs than before.

Just do little by little at a time. Get out of any form the moment you feel like you might fall.

The core strength will come over time, and it will only get stronger the more you engage it. Experimentation and letting go expectstion are keys

Wellscha said:
So I think I'm going to start p90x with my roommate soon. I just have a couple of questions I hope you guys could help me with;

I won't lie, I'm morbidly obese. It's one of the reasons why I I'm doing p90x, so after doing a little bit of research it looks like I have to eat over 4000 calories in order to lose weight. Isn't eating this much would be counter productive?

My other question, am really going to be able to do push ups and pull ups with arms fully extended by 90 days? being morbidly obese all my life and never being able to do them I find it kinda hard to believe that I'm only 90 days away from doing something I couldn't do all my life.

P90X has a diet plan you can follow, I believe for you it will be around 3000 calories for you a day - low fat, low carbs, high protein for the first month, and low fat, medium carbs, high protein for the rest

And yes to your second question. If you stay with the program despite pain and disappointments, as things will be difficult and you are committing to yourself to a 6-day per week workouts for 3 months -if you take the time to learn the forms, you will be able to do push-ups and pull-ups properly. You might have you are better at one than the other. 90 days can make a lifetime of difference if you bring yourself to it

FOOTE

It's going to be hard work and you're going to need to be very disciplined to achieve your goals. You can do the pull-ups assisted(with a chair) for as long as needed. You can do the push-ups on your knees for as long as needed.

Just remember that it's going to take time, patience... and a LOT of HARD WORK!

If you do this and never half ass it, if you go all in 100% you WILL MAKE IT! It's not some magical formula. It's real working out and real time that you need to invest in it. It might take more than 90 days for you to be able to do pull-ups and push-ups unassisted. It's okay if it does, that's perfectly fine, keep at it and push harder everyday. Whatever you do, NEVER doubt yourself. Tony is going to tell you the very first time you see him on the Chest and Back routine that if you tell yourself that you presently struggle with push-ups or pull-ups or anything else.. instead of telling yourself that you CAN'T, that you will be in the right mindset for these workouts.

90 days is just the length of this particular program, it's not a time limit. I've been though it three times now(and that doesn't include the other programs I've done). When you're finished with 90 days, you will (hopefully) want to get on it again. Do yourself a favour and take those before pics (you don't need to post them here) just take them and take updated photos at days 30, 60 and 90. If you stick to the program and nutrition as outlined for you in the booklet you will receive, then you will be much closer to your goals and those pictures will help you to know just how much progress you are making.

In the end it's going to be tough as hell for you. No one can give it to you, except you, and you WILL MAKE IT. Now get out there and grab that shit.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Great post, Foote. I'd also recommend signing up on TeamBeachbody.com and finding a group on the message boards who is doing P90X as well. Being part of a group is a great motivator, and you can make daily posts talking about your experience, progress and issues. Lots of help is available there as well as here in this thread.

On the subject of Yoga, I have to say that it is my favorite thing to come out of Beachbody workouts. I too used to dread the plough/shoulder stand, but now they're among my favorite moves. I highly recommend getting a yoga block. I still use one for half-moon/twisting half-moon, and it's extremely helpful in learning crane. Just stand the block up on-end below where your forehead is, and you can use it to help find the balance. The moves & poses & flexibility will come in time. It's all about the journey. Do your oms! :)

Anyone do p90? How simple would it before for someone completely out of shape to jump into it

P90x would likely kill me atm.

P90 is a good intro. The beginning will be difficult if you are truly out of shape, but you will progress quickly and often people find themselves outgrow the program (e.g. being ready for P90X) before the 90th day comes. I'd recommend it

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Anyone do p90? How simple would it before for someone completely out of shape to jump into it

P90x would likely kill me atm.

I started out with P90 myself last January, almost a year ago. The only thing I'd recommend is getting the "master series", which adds "level 5 & 6" exercises. Otherwise you'll be doing the level 3 & 4 for a very long time & you might get bored with it.

It's only $20. It's supposed to be for p90 grads but in my case I wish I'd had it for the last 3-4 weeks of the program.

radcliff

So I am going to get Body Beast and wanted to get the Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells. Will the 5-52 pounders be enough or will I need the 10-90 pounders? If it helps, I am about 5ft 8in and weight about 165 pounds.

Nakazato

I started out with P90 myself last January, almost a year ago. The only thing I'd recommend is getting the "master series", which adds "level 5 & 6" exercises. Otherwise you'll be doing the level 3 & 4 for a very long time & you might get bored with it.

It's only $20. It's supposed to be for p90 grads but in my case I wish I'd had it for the last 3-4 weeks of the program.
Thanks for the heads up ill get it around the time i finish P90

FOOTE

So I am going to get Body Beast and wanted to get the Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells. Will the 5-52 pounders be enough or will I need the 10-90 pounders? If it helps, I am about 5ft 8in and weight about 165 pounds.

The 552s are enough for me, but (and I don't know where you're shopping) the 1090s look to be cheaper on amazon. Eventually you may become as strong as a gorilla, but 52lbs should be enough for anyone doing the workouts in body beast.... now with that said I would get the 1090s, they are cheaper(if you're shopping on amazon, I don't know what the prices are anywhere else) and more weight to potentially be used is not a bad thing . And really, who knows where your level of strength will be after beast. More weight = more potential, IMO.

You *might* want to buy a set of 5lbs if you go with the 1090s though. Some of the moves are incredibly intense, and you will need to go with a low weight to get through all of the sets. But then again, you might be fine with starting at 10lbs for those particular moves.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

I think the 52 pounds max is enough, unless you are really fucking strong and have no problem lifting/curling/pressing a lot of weight.

radcliff

The 552s are enough for me, but (and I don't know where you're shopping) the 1090s look to be cheaper on amazon. Eventually you may become as strong as a gorilla, but 52lbs should be enough for anyone doing the workouts in body beast.... now with that said I would get the 1090s, they are cheaper(if you're shopping on amazon, I don't know what the prices are anywhere else) and more weight to potentially be used is not a bad thing . And really, who knows where your level of strength will be after beast. More weight = more potential, IMO.

You *might* want to buy a set of 5lbs if you go with the 1090s though. Some of the moves are incredibly intense, and you will need to go with a low weight to get through all of the sets. But then again, you might be fine with starting at 10lbs for those particular moves.

The 1090s are cheaper on Amazon if you just buy 1 (the 552s are sold as a pair for $299, the 1090s are sold individually for $265 each). I was thinking 5-52s would be fine for arm curls and most exercises, but maybe not enough for chest presses. You guys never went higher than 52 pounds in each hand on chest presses?

FOOTE

The 1090s are cheaper on Amazon if you just buy 1 (the 552s are sold as a pair for $299, the 1090s are sold individually for $265 each). I was thinking 5-52s would be fine for arm curls and most exercises, but maybe not enough for chest presses. You guys never went higher than 52 pounds in each hand on chest presses?

:lol I'm glad I'm not buying them. I missed that. The 552s are enough then. I mean, I don't know how strong you are but I haven't needed to go higher than 52 for these workouts.

Be sure to also consider PowerBlocks before going for the SelectTechs. I've read a lot of not-so-great things about the SelectTechs, and I've been quite pleased with my PowerBlocks.

radcliff

:lol I'm glad I'm not buying them. I missed that. The 552s are enough then. I mean, I don't know how strong you are but I haven't needed to go higher than 52 for these workouts.

When I went to the gym, I could do chest presses with 80 pounds in each hand (sometimes more depending on how motiviated I felt). That is why I wasn't sure the 552s would be enough.

Be sure to also consider PowerBlocks before going for the SelectTechs. I've read a lot of not-so-great things about the SelectTechs, and I've been quite pleased with my PowerBlocks.

They look so unnatural, but I will look into them further. Thanks.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I've used my Select Tech 552s throughout the year. The only problem I've had is that they are HUGE and it's hard to do some of the moves without modification, just because they take up so much space. Power Blocks are much more compact.

To elaborate, I avoided the SelectTechs because I read that they are very easy to break.

Also, I like how easily expandable PowerBlocks are. I bought a set that goes up to 50, and I'm probably going to expand it to 70 pretty soon. And then I can expand again up to 90, if I want.

FOOTE

When I went to the gym, I could do chest presses with 80 pounds in each hand (sometimes more depending on how motiviated I felt). That is why I wasn't sure the 552s would be enough.
I can too, but I don't think I'd be able to with the amount of reps and the pace that is involved with these workouts.

I don't want to discourage you from lifting heavy. I will say that the trainer in the videos rarely goes over 50lbs himself. He does do it from time to time though.

Regarding the select techs breaking. If you drop them, yes there is a good chance they will break. I don't ever think they will break in your hands though or anything as long as you take care of them.

What I recommend for anyone, if they have the money and space, is a complete set of dumbbells. No screwing around with switching the weights, and no chance of them breaking.

grumble

I think the 52 pounds max is enough, unless you are really fucking strong and have no problem lifting/curling/pressing a lot of weight.

A healthy male shouldn't have much problem chest pressing 52+ for quite a number of reps after a short period of training. I'd imagine they could be a bit on the light side for that movement and for any row movements.

Happy New Year

e6V3M.jpg

Happy New Year everyone! Love that face, HP!

No new goals for this year...Maaaybe I will try a new program during summer when school's off. But before then, I am in full maintenance mode!

Fun note: this thread (version 2) started almost a year ago, on 01/16/2012!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Happy new year, kids. Started off 2013 right by crushing it in X2 Base & Back, which IMO is the hardest workout in X2 (so far anyway), even after 5 rounds of it.

Gruco

Banned
I made two passes at X2 in 2012, and both times broke down right around the time I was getting to PAP. First time I got sick, second time I got distracted with work. In either case I could have been fine but let the good habits I had built up slip away.

Going to starting back up when I get home on Friday. Hoping to post here regularly and not let it slip away until I am all the way through this time. 3 on 1 off, going core, strength, alternative strength, and PAP. Best case finish date 4/26.

bring it

fuenf

Happy new year P90X GAF. I just had my first minor success story of the year. I was pretty depressed / hungover after New Years Eve and thought about simply staying in bed / watching a movie, but instead I decided to continue my P90X trial week and do the legs / back routine. It was an amazing workout, I loved the whole routine and it was easily the most fun I had with P90X so far (granted I'm using the bands instead of a pull-up bar, so it's obviously not as hard...).

Happy new year P90X GAF. I just had my first minor success story of the year. I was pretty depressed / hungover after New Years Eve and thought about simply staying in bed / watching a movie, but instead I decided to continue my P90X trial week and do the legs / back routine. It was an amazing workout, I loved the whole routine and it was easily the most fun I had with P90X so far (granted I'm using the bands instead of a pull-up bar, so it's obviously not as hard...).

Awesome! That's what it is about, finding the fun in it. P90X is one of those exercises that somehow get tougher the better you get :) Really happy to hear the good news

On the other hand, can you guys help me create a 5-day workout schedule adaptable to the demands of full-time work/school?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Awesome! That's what it is about, finding the fun in it. P90X is one of those exercises that somehow get tougher the better you get :) Really happy to hear the good news

On the other hand, can you guys help me create a 5-day workout schedule adaptable to the demands of full-time work/school?

What exactly are your goals? Stay athletic, maintain/gain muscle or work on core stuff, or a variation of everything?

What exactly are your goals? Stay athletic, maintain/gain muscle or work on core stuff, or a variation of everything?

My goals are simply maintenance. As long as I am exercising I am happy. On Monday Tuesday Wednesday I don't get home until 9pm at the earliest. Last semester I did chest/back or shoulder/tri on Monday and took the next two days off. I am wondering if there's any other routine I can try. Working out on any of those days was really difficult. I have been thinking about just working out 4 days a week (Thursday to Sunday)

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Hmm. How about:

Mon: Rest
Tues: Plyocide
Wed: X2 Ab Ripper
Thu: Ch/Sh/Tri
Friday: X2 Yoga
Sat: Legs & Back
Sun: Rest or Recovery & Mobility

Hmm. How about:

Mon: Rest
Tues: Plyocide
Wed: X2 Ab Ripper
Thu: Ch/Sh/Tri
Friday: X2 Yoga
Sat: Legs & Back
Sun: Rest or Recovery & Mobility

Thanks for the suggestion! What did you have in mind in terms of selecting those workouts? I am curious to know why you chose Ch/Sh/Tri over any biceps workouts, or why only one X2 Ab ripper

I am now trying to think if I can swap those workouts you listed. Plyocide at the end of a long day is too much for me. What do you think of chest/back but only the first round, one either Monday or Tuesday?

I am thinking like

Thursday (1st day): Legs/Back + X2 ab ripper
Friday: Yoga
Saturday: one week chest back, ch/sh/tri, next week shoulder/arms, back/biceps, and rotate, all w/ X2 ab ripper
Sunday: Plyocide
Monday: ab ripper
Tuesday: Rest / Recovery (although to be honest I will probably just sleep)
Wednesday: Rest /Recovery

or everything is the same, except for Monday I just do the 1st round of Chest/Back every week until it's recovery week or there's a break from school

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I was just thinking of workouts that hit all the areas of the body in one week. Since you said you are busy, I didn't know if you'd have the time for an extra ab ripper after some of the other workouts. As for Ch/Sh/Tri, I went with that routine first because it's one of my favs. After 3 weeks though, I'd change this modified program and some some of the other dvds like Back & Biceps, V-Sculpt, PAP Lower, Base and Back and Chest Back and Balance.

I was just thinking of workouts that hit all the areas of the body in one week. Since you said you are busy, I didn't know if you'd have the time for an extra ab ripper after some of the other workouts. As for Ch/Sh/Tri, I went with that routine first because it's one of my favs. After 3 weeks though, I'd change this modified program and some some of the other dvds like Back & Biceps, V-Sculpt, PAP Lower, Base and Back and Chest Back and Balance.

Thanks man. For the extra ab ripper - sometimes it is a struggle to do them, but I am always concerned that if I don't do them I will lose the strength I have gained.

And ditto on changing things up every 3 weeks. I am actually leaning now towards working out 4 days a week. What do you think of creating some kind of tri/biceps workout? No pull-ups (for it is covered in legs/back, base and back. etc) and just straight tri/biceps.

____

Good luck! My best advice as far as cooking goes is to not be afraid to make mistakes. Most foods (like rice, microwave veggies, etc.) cook according to package directions, and grilling/sautéing meat isn't difficult at all.

I know lots of people swear by the George Foreman Grill--all you have to do is set a timer after you put the meat in. Also, slow cookers like the Crock Pot are foolproof. Put ingredients in, set a timer, come back a few hours later and you've got a stew going!

I think I have all of this stuff (George Foreman Grill / Crock Pot) at home, so it's probably just a matter of me actually "doing" it. Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna get things started Monday. (I hoped to have the p90x on Monday, because I'm getting it from a friend instead of buying it, but of course....on Monday...they hit me with the "oh, the guy that has it won't be in town until Friday -- sorry!"....so if they don't have it by Friday, I'll just order it myself)

KingGondo

Banned
I think I have all of this stuff (George Foreman Grill / Crock Pot) at home, so it's probably just a matter of me actually "doing" it. Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna get things started Monday. (I hoped to have the p90x on Monday, because I'm getting it from a friend instead of buying it, but of course....on Monday...they hit me with the "oh, the guy that has it won't be in town until Friday -- sorry!"....so if they don't have it by Friday, I'll just order it myself)
Good luck!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to start this this Saturday and I'm posting here so that I can be held accountable. I recently lost about 30kg (110kg down to 80kg), and I've managed to maintain it for about six months, so I know I can stick to very basic cardio based routines (I usually try to, if nothing else, jog for a 45-60 mins a day). I'm excited to start this.

Any Australians know a decent place to buy all the starter equipment I'll need?

I'm going to start this this Saturday and I'm posting here so that I can be held accountable. I recently lost about 30kg (110kg down to 80kg), and I've managed to maintain it for about six months, so I know I can stick to very basic cardio based routines (I usually try to, if nothing else, jog for a 45-60 mins a day). I'm excited to start this.

Any Australians know a decent place to buy all the starter equipment I'll need?

Until a few weeks ago, I didn't even realize that P90X was being marketed overseas.

When I was traveling in the UK a few weeks ago, I ran into an Aussie and I mentioned that I used P90X. He was very interested in it. Again, I had no clue that anyone outside of North America had heard of it. I guess it's not too surprising, given its massive success.

But anyways, good luck!

Top Bottom