• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Steelo have you increased your caloric intake at all, with these same type of food? I guess what I'm trying to ask is what is the biggest contribution to your weight gain?

And btw DC, you mentioned burnt out from X/X2, I can definitely relate. More with X for me

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I started taking creatine about 3 months ago when I started a second round of X2.

As far as caloric intake, I used to eat around 2200- 2500 calories while doing X/X2 and right now I only slightly increased that by 300 or 500 at most. My food is basically the same. Probably a little more Peanut Butter sandwiches but that's it. lol

fuenf

How important is the pull up bar?

I cant find a decent one, my doorframes have a depth of 20cm and the Iron Gym only fits up to 18cm (according to the Amazon description). :/ To make matters worse almost every alternative has horrible user reviews.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
How important is the pull up bar?

I cant find a decent one, my doorframes have a depth of 20cm and the Iron Gym only fits up to 18cm (according to the Amazon description). :/ To make matters worse almost every alternative has horrible user reviews.

Extremely important. Skipping pullups is like skipping all large lower body moves.

Probably the biggest improvement to my body has been my upper body/back strength. From 1-2 unassisted pullups a few times per workout to 12 unassisted 10 times per workout.

This is crazy. I weighted myself 2 weeks ago and I was at 187 with clothes on. I weighted myself yesterday and I'm at 195. I find this really surprising since I have been eating just slighly more than when I was doing P90X, probably around 2800 - 3000 calories (I'm 6'3").

Body Beast seems to be doing its job. I'm gonna start the Bulk phase today.

That's what sucks about starting out lean and entering a bulk phase. You rapidly gain weight. A large stirfry of brown rice, chicken, and vegetables with light soy sauce can add 5 lbs alone.

fuenf

Extremely important. Skipping pullups is like skipping all large lower body moves.

Probably the biggest improvement to my body has been my upper body/back strength. From 1-2 unassisted pullups a few times per workout to 12 unassisted 10 times per workout.

Fuck, guess I'm screwed :/ I'll probably try out the Iron Gym and hope it fits somehow.

abuC

Started doing P90x last week, bumped it up this week and used a 40lbs weight vest for chest/back day. I've been lifting heavy for almost 3 years now, doing P90x while I cut down weight and to become more defined.

It's tougher than I expected, keeps your heart rate up, reminds me of german volume training.

Started doing P90x last week, bumped it up this week and used a 40lbs weight vest for chest/back day. I've been lifting heavy for almost 3 years now, doing P90x while I cut down weight and to become more defined.

It's tougher than I expected, keeps your heart rate up, reminds me of german volume training.

Well yeah, if you're going to add an extra 40 lbs on body weight exercises :p

So I just did my last Legs & Back work out of the year yesterday. These were my numbers the first week of September

101 unassisted pullups +4 assisted =105. 477 calories burned according to the heart weight monitor

Yesterday's numbers:

126 unassisted pull ups (some with dubious forms/kip ups that I'm going to work on) 640 calories burned

fuenf

Using bands isn't the end of the world.

If that's your only option, just make sure you're using enough resistance to get a good burn.

Yeah, I went through the whole house and there isnt a single door that fits (old German houses have extremely thick walls). I'll be using bands, but at least for the next few weeks I think I might have an even better alternative: I'm currently at my parents and my father has an old 'home gym machine' with an integrated Lat tower (hope that's the right word). I should have access to it until the end of January, unfortunately it's in the cellar, so i would need to push the excercises to the end of my work out.

Let us know how it is. Program looks awesome as hell.

It's gonna be warmer than usual here for this time of year over the weekend. And yes please give us your thoughts about it when you start up. After Body Beast I'm going to need to cut some fat pretty quickly and it's going to be between Insanity (which I'd be fine with) or buying LMC (which I don't really know much about). Let us know!

So I'm 3 days into Les Mills combat and so far I'd give it a thumbs up. For reference, I'm 5'10", 163-167 lbs and I did almost two full series of Insanity over the summer and in early fall. However, I tweaked my right hamstring about 6 weeks and I've been relatively sedentary and eating like a cow since so I'm kind of in shape and kind of not.

I'm following the easiest workout schedule because of the holidays and my recent laziness which comes out to 3 days on, rest day, 2 days on, rest day for 9 weeks.

The workouts seem to be divided between "Combat" workouts and "HIIT" workouts. The HIIT workouts should be familiar to anyone who has done Insanity or P90x plyometrics or power workouts. Interestingly, they require small weights for both the HIIT: Plyo and HIIT: Power. They are only 30 minutes long as well, but the Power did get my HR up over 170 for a few minutes.

The Combat workouts are what differentiate this routine from the other Beachbody workouts. Cardio-wise, they are no where as difficult as Insanity, but they are just a lot of fun. My wife got burned out on the intensity of Insanity, but she's jumping back into this with me (instead of going to the gym) because it looked fun as hell to be jumping around doing flying knees and a bunch of punch, elbow and kick combinations. I struggled the most with the sets emphasizing kicks, but I had actually had some minor DOMS in my shoulders from all the punches after the first day.

My only concern right now are that I'll get bored because there are only 6 real workouts (the Basics disc just slowly shows you how to do the fighting moves with proper technique) and that you can't turn off the music entirely

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I just did my last Legs & Back work out of the year yesterday. These were my numbers the first week of September

101 unassisted pullups +4 assisted =105. 477 calories burned according to the heart weight monitor

Yesterday's numbers:

126 unassisted pull ups (some with dubious forms/kip ups that I'm going to work on) 640 calories burned

Good god man. I've bee through the P90X series 3 times between X and X2 and I can only do about 10 pull ups unassisted. :p

Also, did Insanity Plyo yesterday to change it up. While it nearly killed me, I was glad to see I could still do it. But seriously, fuck that second group of Level 1 drills, ski abs, and in/out abs. By set 3 of that I felt like I was going to hurl.

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah, I went through the whole house and there isnt a single door that fits (old German houses have extremely thick walls). I'll be using bands, but at least for the next few weeks I think I might have an even better alternative: I'm currently at my parents and my father has an old 'home gym machine' with an integrated Lat tower (hope that's the right word). I should have access to it until the end of January, unfortunately it's in the cellar, so i would need to push the excercises to the end of my work out.
Let us know how it goes.

I'm currently forced to use bands because my house is old and there's not an obvious door to use, and I've seen good results from using 2-3 heavy bands at the same time.

fuenf

Let us know how it goes.

I'm currently forced to use bands because my house is old and there's not an obvious door to use, and I've seen good results from using 2-3 heavy bands at the same time.

I just ordered an resistance band set too, just to be safe. Overall the equipment ended up being a little more expensive than I would've liked, but hopefully it'll be worth it. I think I'll start with the program after christmas, so that the first rest day is right around new years.

So I'm 3 days into Les Mills combat and so far I'd give it a thumbs up. For reference, I'm 5'10", 163-167 lbs and I did almost two full series of Insanity over the summer and in early fall. However, I tweaked my right hamstring about 6 weeks and I've been relatively sedentary and eating like a cow since so I'm kind of in shape and kind of not.

I'm following the easiest workout schedule because of the holidays and my recent laziness which comes out to 3 days on, rest day, 2 days on, rest day for 9 weeks.

The workouts seem to be divided between "Combat" workouts and "HIIT" workouts. The HIIT workouts should be familiar to anyone who has done Insanity or P90x plyometrics or power workouts. Interestingly, they require small weights for both the HIIT: Plyo and HIIT: Power. They are only 30 minutes long as well, but the Power did get my HR up over 170 for a few minutes.

The Combat workouts are what differentiate this routine from the other Beachbody workouts. Cardio-wise, they are no where as difficult as Insanity, but they are just a lot of fun. My wife got burned out on the intensity of Insanity, but she's jumping back into this with me (instead of going to the gym) because it looked fun as hell to be jumping around doing flying knees and a bunch of punch, elbow and kick combinations. I struggled the most with the sets emphasizing kicks, but I had actually had some minor DOMS in my shoulders from all the punches after the first day.

My only concern right now are that I'll get bored because there are only 6 real workouts (the Basics disc just slowly shows you how to do the fighting moves with proper technique) and that you can't turn off the music entirely

Thanks for the early impressions. I'm on my last week of Body Beast and I will be starting The Asylum 2 next week. I'm thinking of doing Les Mills after that. Is it a three month program? And on average how long are the workouts?

Edit: Missed it the first time, around 30 minutes a workout.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Thanks for the early impressions. I'm on my last week of Body Beast and I will be starting The Asylum 2 next week. I'm thinking of doing Les Mills after that. Is it a three month program? And on average how long are the workouts?

Edit: Missed it the first time, around 30 minutes a workout.

Some of them are -- the HIIT ones are roughly 30 minutes, but there are other workouts that are 45 or 60 minutes. Here's the list:

The Basics: 30 minutes
Kick Start: 30 minutes
Power Kata: 45
Extreme Cardio Fighter: 60
Ultimate Warriors Workout: 60
Power HIIT 1: 30
Shock Plyo HIIT 2: 30

And it's a 60 day program.

KingGondo

Banned
I just ordered an resistance band set too, just to be safe. Overall the equipment ended up being a little more expensive than I would've liked, but hopefully it'll be worth it. I think I'll start with the program after christmas, so that the first rest day is right around new years.
I've spent well over $300 over the last year, and that doesn't include Quest Bars and post-workout supplements. Throw those in and you're talking well over $500, easily.

It has all been worth it. You can't put a price on the improvements you'll see if you stick to it.

Some of them are -- the HIIT ones are roughly 30 minutes, but there are other workouts that are 45 or 60 minutes. Here's the list:

Thanks Steve. Seems very cardio heavy.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Thanks Steve. Seems very cardio heavy.

Looks like you can also get the Ultimate Warrior kit, which includes four more workouts:

Warrior 1: Upper Body Blowout
Warrior 2: Lower Body Lean Out
Inner Warrior: Strength & Stretch
Core Attack

Dumbbells are required for some of the workouts (even in the base package) and optional for others. No mention of how long the additional workouts are.

fuenf

I've spent well over $300 over the last year, and that doesn't include Quest Bars and post-workout supplements. Throw those in and you're talking well over $500, easily.

It has all been worth it. You can't put a price on the improvements you'll see if you stick to it.

Ah I see, I spent around 260€ ($340) so far. I tried going to the gym before and while I loved working out, I hated the actual 'going to the gym' part. ...that's why I'm choosing a home exercise this time. I just want to experience the energy rush you get after completing a great work out again, I want to feel good about myself and improve my overall level of fitness.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I've been looking ways to increase my daily caloric intake and I just made a great discovery. Right now I'm adding a spoon of Organic Coconut Oil to my shakes and it tastes awesome. That's an extra 120 calories of good fat from it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I've been looking ways to increase my daily caloric intake and I just made a great discovery. Right now I'm adding a spoon of Organic Coconut Oil to my shakes and it tastes awesome. That's an extra 120 calories of good fat from it.

One of my favorite snacks is a square of dark chocolate with a heap of extra virgin coconut oil on top. Delicious.

abuC

Well yeah, if you're going to add an extra 40 lbs on body weight exercises :p

Yesterday's numbers:

Nah, I meant even unweighted it was tougher than I expected from a cardio standpoint. I just added the weights because unweighted pushups don't have that much impact on me.

FOOTE

Arnold press in bulk shoulders is tough. gotdamn I thought I was going to die. Sagi can be a weirdo, but the dude is pushing a lot of weight for that. I did 35lbs on the drop set and immediately knew that it was a bad idea. Respect, Sagi.

REST DAY!

PS-The office is ordering lunch for everyone today. I'm bringing my own lunch like normal though. With my luck they'll order Pizza Hut or some other greasy stuff. I'm not taking the chance.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Started my second half of P90X2 phase 2 today - 3 weeks substituting in the alternate workouts. Today was V Sculpt. Tough but I did OK. Not used to so many exercises that require bands. Stability ball lawnmowers were harder than expected.

Yeah, this is right. It's a 60 day program and the manual comes with 5 day/week and 6 day/week variations using those discs. There is also a "ultimate warrior" program in the manual that uses extra discs (available on the Beach Body website, of course) that I didn't get.

Also, two kid of silly observations on LMC:

1) the male trainer, Dan, makes these crazy bug eyes sometimes that creep me out

2) All the women inthe program wear the same incredibly unattractive, baggy, long shorts as the guys.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Skipping P90X today but I think Tony would approve. This was my 2 hour workout (in 40 mph winds).

Before (my bro)
1A44CE12-CF28-41D3-B46F-7CB93F6EFDBA.JPG

After

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
My parents' place, home for holidays. My dad doesn't do snowblowers. Though he's now 53 and has a body like Tony. :p

I didn't either, but a couple years ago we had about 20+" of snow in December, any my driveway is about 360 feet long. Had to get a neighbor to dig us out with his tractor. So I bought a snowblower, and then the following February it paid for itself when we had a 28" snowfall followed by a similar amount a week later.

...I'm only 5 years younger than your father.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I didn't either, but a couple years ago we had about 20+" of snow in December, any my driveway is about 360 feet long. Had to get a neighbor to dig us out with his tractor. So I bought a snowblower, and then the following February it paid for itself when we had a 28" snowfall followed by a similar amount a week later.

...I'm only 5 years younger than your father.

I told him he can still shovel, the blower is nice to have for back-up. :p

It was a great workout though, I can tell P90X has helped a ton. In high school I'd be dead, today I plowed through 2 hours of shoveling heavy, heavy, snow in 40MPH winds and still had my breath and stamina.

#RealWorldP90XApplications
:p

DrBo42

Going to start this over the holidays. In terrible shape right now at 26. Currently taking bets with friends on how soon I'll vomit.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
There will be a big P90X announcement soon according to their facebook page.

Too soon for X3? Anyway, I'm very excited.

Did you guys know P90X2 app/move track list is now available via the P90X app update?

That is the big announcement, also that the app is in sale for 99 cents. The update went out on 12/17 so it's strange they teased the announcement 3 days later.

The app automatically imported my supergym workouts so I could use it to track, but there wasn't a way to auto schedule altered phase 2 weeks without hand-entering each day so it still has me doing the normal day 1 and 6 routines. Plus I kind of prefer using the paper worksheets for the convenience of looking back at prior weights & reps.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Bulk Legs killed my legs. I did it 2 days ago and every area of the legs still feels sore!

I'm feeling yesterday's V-Sculpt throughout my core today, and in my lats.

Absolutely CRUSHED Plyocide this morning.

I'm going to switch next Tuesday & Wednesday so that all I have is Recovery & Mobility on Christmas :)

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
P90X Round-2 finished in October, just didn't have the time to post an update.

Round 1 pics from before for comparison.
7559058916_3beb8e5798_c.jpg

Round 2
8295592703_ffef1ab601_z.jpg

Hah, apologies for the first pic, it was a bad pose for the gf. It was also my switch from losing weight to building size (I hit 8% BF).

I started going to the gym as the weights I had at home are no longer enough. I'm still basically doing the p90x program with a few modifications (cardio is gone and I've added some extra exercises).

I've also started taking boxing classes on weekends, which I guess adds back some cardio, but is so intense.

Most recent pic.

8295599057_9ffa3945c5.jpg

That is amazing! Tenacious, believe it or not, I think you have outdoned yourself once again with your jawdropping results. Can you tell me what you have been doing differently or your overall routine? How did you lower your body fat %? Because now you not only look fit, because you look really ripped with size.

Tenacious-V

Thanks!

Since switching to the gym (around day 160), I stopped doing the 6 days a week program. I do Mon-Fri, and then boxing on Sat.

The most notable changes are cutting cardio (plyo etc.) from my workouts, as well as yoga (don't have the time with school/work taking up 16-18 hours a day). I still do 10 minutes of light jogging around the track, and stretching before/after workout but that's it.

Mon - Arms/Abs
Tues - Shoulders/Chest
Wed - Legs/Back/Abs
Thu - Chest/Triceps
Fri - Back/Biceps/Abs
Sat - Boxing

I basically took all of the exercises from p90x and combined/divided them in to groups for my 5 day split. I have added a few machine exercises like lat pull downs, but I still stick to dumbbells for the most part, just heavier weights.

To get down to 8%, I just stuck with the program and also switched to IF which I still do now (Lean Gains approach, but I don't follow the macros, just timing). I eat from 2pm - 10pm. I stayed at a caloric deficit of around 300 calories (daily net calories, I ate back my workout calories).

Now I eat at a net caloric surplus of around 350 calories, but still follow IF which I think is really helping with keeping me lean while I build size. I take in about 2700 calories now because of the huge jump in activity level. My macros have switched from primarily protein and low carbs, to higher carb, medium protein, low fat. They are roughly 45% Carbs, 35% Protein, 20% fat, but I don't really follow it too closely. As long as I'm in my calorie range and eating as clean as I can, I don't worry too much about the details.

Thanks!

Since switching to the gym (around day 160), I stopped doing the 6 days a week program. I do Mon-Fri, and then boxing on Sat.

The most notable changes are cutting cardio (plyo etc.) from my workouts, as well as yoga (don't have the time with school/work taking up 16-18 hours a day). I still do 10 minutes of light jogging around the track, and stretching before/after workout but that's it.

Mon - Arms/Abs
Tues - Shoulders/Chest
Wed - Legs/Back/Abs
Thu - Chest/Triceps
Fri - Back/Biceps/Abs
Sat - Boxing

I basically took all of the exercises from p90x and combined/divided them in to groups for my 5 day split. I have added a few machine exercises like lat pull downs, but I still stick to dumbbells for the most part, just heavier weights.

To get down to 8%, I just stuck with the program and also switched to IF which I still do now (Lean Gains approach, but I don't follow the macros, just timing). I eat from 2pm - 10pm. I stayed at a caloric deficit of around 300 calories (daily net calories, I ate back my workout calories).

Now I eat at a net caloric surplus of around 350 calories, but still follow IF. I take in about 2700 calories now because of the huge jump in activity level. My macros have switched from primarily protein and low carbs, to higher carb, medium protein, low fat. They are roughly 45% Carbs, 35% Protein, 20% fat, but I don't really follow it too closely. As long as I'm in my calorie range and eating as clean as I can, I don't worry too much about the details.

Thanks for sharing! Again, it's amazing. I am in school/work myself, and it's been so difficult to even just maintain a regular P90X schedule, to the extent where sometimes I even just workout 4 days a week. Food has been tough too, where I don't even find the energy to prepare and I have been eating food from Tony's Kitchen instead. You are eating more calories than I do but one thing I am running into, and perhaps it's genetics, is that while I have lost weight and body fat, my muscle definition is not as pronounced as yours. So jealous :)

If you have any advice/suggestion, it'd be great. Interesting to hear you cutting out cardio too, as that seems to be general consensus on bulking (cutting out plyo) And oh are you still doing around 60 min per workout?

Tenacious-V

If you have any advice/suggestion, it'd be great. Interesting to hear you cutting out cardio too, as that seems to be general consensus on bulking (cutting out plyo) And oh are you still doing around 60 min per workout?

What is your current weight/height etc. It may be that you don't have a ton of muscle yet so it won't show too much. That just comes with time.

The reason I dropped cardio had nothing to do with the bulking thing. I'm also trying to avoid the bulking/cutting process that most bodybuilders do. I want to slowly build size (like 1lb a month) and avoid having to cut, so I only eat 300 - 350 above maintenance.

The main reasons I took out cardio were:

1) Because it was too tough to gauge my daily caloric requirements. Even with a heart rate monitor I couldn't figure out how much calories I was burning properly so my intake was messed up. I'd lose weight when I thought I ate too much, or I'd gain when I felt I held back. It was annoying. So I dropped it to have a consistent basis.

2) I'm doing IF. Since I don't eat for 16 - 18 hours a day, my body is pretty much revved up all the time and always burning away at my fat stores. If I get in too much cardio while on IF I'd probably have to eat damn near 4000+ calories a day just to maintain.

I figure it's just much simpler to cut the cardio. It saves me the headaches and spending double on food.

What is your current weight/height etc. It may be that you don't have a ton of muscle yet so it won't show too much. That just comes with time.

The reason I dropped cardio had nothing to do with the bulking thing. I'm also trying to avoid the bulking/cutting process that most bodybuilders do. I want to slowly build size (like 1lb a month) and avoid having to cut, so I only eat 300 - 350 above maintenance.

The main reasons I took out cardio were:

1) Because it was too tough to gauge my daily caloric requirements. Even with a heart rate monitor I couldn't figure out how much calories I was burning properly so my intake was messed up. I'd lose weight when I thought I ate too much, or I'd gain with I felt I held back. It was annoying. So I dropped it to have a consistent basis.

2) I'm doing IF. Since I don't eat for 16 - 18 hours a day, my body is pretty much revved up all the time and always burning away at my fat stores. If I get in too much cardio while on IF I'd probably have to eat damn near 4000+ calories a day just to maintain.

I figure it's just much simpler to cut the cardio. It saves me the headaches and spending double on food.

Thanks for the explanation and elaboration on both cardio and IF. Sorry for mistaking the cardio thing and with bulking. I hear you on the headaches with food. I am so tired of it.

Sounds like IF is going pretty well for you, yes?

I am 5'4 and 128lbs. This is what I look like now

lVMle.jpg

I also don't know how to build muscles...I guess it will take more time for me. It's really hard for me to lift heavier weights consistently for 60 minutes.

Tenacious-V

Yeah, I love doing IF. I'm pretty sure I can do it permanently.

You look fine for your height and weight, just keep at it. You can't rush muscles.

Don't worry about pushing the heavy weights the whole time. You can always start heavy and go lighter if you need to. Just do what you can. My biggest suggestion would be to focus more on proper form of the exercises and worry about weight later. I got better results when I focused on doing a movement correctly, you'll feel the difference when you do it.

Other than that, make sure you're eating enough. You can't build size unless you're eating more than your body burns in a day. Just don't go overboard (like 1000 cals over maintenance) or it's pretty much guaranteed a 50/50 split of fat/muscle gain.

Top Bottom