• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

I will add that so far, Les Mills Combat isn't as hard as Asylum or Insanity month 2. I haven't been exhausted by any of the workouts so far, laying in a pool of sweat gasping for breath. There are some sequences in some of the workouts where I struggle to keep up or complete all the reps, though, and I know from muscle soreness that I'm getting good work done all over, lower body & core in particular.

So while in terms of cardiovascular/aerobic endurance it's not as intense, it's still an effective workout and a lot of fun.

I feel exactly the same. I've replaced all Cardio 30/45 with the full 60 minute workout. Now that makes me feel exhausted.

One thing i really appreciate from the program is the improvement in leg and glute flexibility. I can now kick towards peoples heads with my right, slightly lower with my left leg.

The core exercise is great though. Im just struggling finding a specific category to put it in for someone wanting to do it. I wouldn't say its particularly a fat burner or a muscle builder.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I feel exactly the same. I've replaced all Cardio 30/45 with the full 60 minute workout. Now that makes me feel exhausted.

One thing i really appreciate from the program is the improvement in leg and glute flexibility. I can now kick towards peoples heads with my right, slightly lower with my left leg.

The core exercise is great though. Im just struggling finding a specific category to put it in for someone wanting to do it. I wouldn't say its particularly a fat burner or a muscle builder.

The program appears to be designed to introduce folks to Combat gradually, even the more advanced hybrids like Ultimate Warrior. My feeling is that they want to ensure people learn proper form before advancing to more challenging/longer routines. They even have you do most of the plank work on your knees the first round or two.

I think that substituting the longer Combat workouts where shorter workouts are scheduled is perfectly valid. You could also add Core Attack between the HIIT and stretch workouts on those days. Because many of the workouts are short, you have a great opportunity to throw in extras if you're not getting enough out.

I also hear that the Live versions of Combat 30 and 60 are more fun & energetic than the studio ones, though I haven't done any of them yet.

Did Power HIIT 1 and Inner Warrior Strength & Stretch this morning. Power HIIT 1 is a super tough workout! Even with 15lb weights I'm drenched & beat by the time it gets to the plank work. Those lunges... Those burpees... quads on fire! Then you're in a karate guard squat for the next 15 minutes in Strength & Stretch.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I felt kinda crappy today during BB Build Shoulders at the gym. My left sholder kept giving up on me, and it was very frustrating. Oh well, I hope I get better for tomorrow's workout.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Ok Les Mills Combat "Upper Body Blowout" is tough! Only 30 minutes but it wastes no time. Lots of press/squat/lunge combos with dumbbells, alternating with floor work that advances from slow push-ups to mountain climbers to Brazilian jiu-jitsu "hip escapes". Throw in some tricep extensions and renegade rows as well. It's a pretty intense & densely-packed workout. I used a pretty light weight to start with.

Threw in an unscheduled "Inner Warrior Strength & Stretch" afterwards.

I felt kinda crappy today during BB Build Shoulders at the gym. My left sholder kept giving up on me, and it was very frustrating. Oh well, I hope I get better for tomorrow's workout.

That happens to me constantly when shoulders are involved. Not sure if its my technique or a problem with my shoulder. Only ever happens on one side too.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Did Upper Body Massacre from the Tony Horton One on One series instead of Chest and Back. Straight push-ups, pull-ups for an hour.

I made it through just fine at a 20-10 push/pull clip. Tony was going for 30-15, but had to drop down to 25-12 for the last 5-6 sets.

It didn't quite have the same balls to the walls pace of Chest and Back. It wasn't until the last 4 exercises that I felt fatigued and perhaps that was only because I bumped it up to 30-12.

Yeah, I'm working my way through a hybrid schedule with P90X, P90X2 and some One on Ones. I really like Upper Body Massacre. Simple, straightforward, but I find it tough. I do 25-10 on average, it's pretty easy to adjust if you want to make it harder too. And Tony sure takes a lot of breaks. :p But I actually kind of like that, it's pretty chill and I feel I can do a few extra reps everytime because of it.
I love Just Arms too, tried it for the first time last week and it killed my arms. Those forearm moves... man.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Started with the 116 Royal Burpee Challenge today. Today is day 5. The goal is to start with one burpee, and then add another every day until June 4th, when the total for the day will be 116. This coincides with what would have been the 116th birthday of Royal Burpee, a man who introduced what we know as the burpee to US military fitness training.

There's a Facebook group, just search for Royal Burpee and you'll find it. If you miss a day, you have to do the pervious day's burpees, too, so the longer you wait to start the more you'll have to do. Since I started on day 5, I had to do 15.

These are full burpees - from standing, squat, hands down on the floor, jump your feet back to plank, do a push-up, jump your legs under you, then jump up in the air. You don't have to do them all consecutively; you just need to get all of that day's burpees in before the day ends.

Anyone else up for it?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing results is so damn rewarding. Across the board everything is improving, and it's only week five.

Question: during Ab Ripper X, I can pretty much get through the entire routine at this point, but I can still barely last a few changes in Fifer Scissors. Everything tenses. Any tips?

Seeing results is so damn rewarding. Across the board everything is improving, and it's only week five.

Question: during Ab Ripper X, I can pretty much get through the entire routine at this point, but I can still barely last a few changes in Fifer Scissors. Everything tenses. Any tips?

Nope they suck dick and will forever suck dick.

My best advice is to just add 1 each week. Dont struggle to 20. Just remember what you reached last time and try and beat it by 1. It took me the full length of P90X to manage 20 of those.

Starting Phase 2 of P90X2 today. Excited and nervous! I don't know if my pull up stand will allow me to properlly do some of those weird pull ups so I might have to modify...

Super happy with the diet and workout plan so far. My bf% on 1/11/13 was 12.2%. Today, it was 10.4%

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Holy crap guys, those 10 minute trainer workouts completely surprised me. I did 2 workouts a couple minutes ago: Cardio Core and Upper Body, and I was drenched in sweat after I was done. They are fairly different from the regular P90X workouts too since they are based on resistance bands and a resistance belt.

I'm definitely going to do these along with my regular routine. These quick workouts could be amazing after waking up in the morning.

Finished an exercise of Combat today and realised I can't be bothered to continue it. I don't know if its the lack of weight based exercises or the lower paced cardio but something isn't there for me.

Gonna go back to Body Beast with Intermittent Fasting for a while.

rkn

Finished an exercise of Combat today and realised I can't be bothered to continue it. I don't know if its the lack of weight based exercises or the lower paced cardio but something isn't there for me.

How's Body Beast working out for you? I'm going to start it tomorrow. Is it good to drop some body fat? I'm probably about 18% (my own estimate based on looking around various pictures). Sort of feel the same way about P90X/2, I've finished those programs a couple of times over and want to try something new.

I know diet is key, but just curious about your experience with fat loss and the Body Beast program.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So, I see a lot of conflicting opinions about strength training in the morning before eating. Can anyone tell me or link me to anything definitive?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
How's Body Beast working out for you? I'm going to start it tomorrow. Is it good to drop some body fat? I'm probably about 18% (my own estimate based on looking around various pictures). Sort of feel the same way about P90X/2, I've finished those programs a couple of times over and want to try something new.

I know diet is key, but just curious about your experience with fat loss and the Body Beast program.

If you are pretty strict with your diet and eat a shitload of clean food, I'm pretty sure that you can add a lot of mass while also dropping bf% with Body Beast.

My diet has been probably 6.5/10, and I added a lot of, mostly, good weight. I lost some definition in my midsection, but nothing to be too worried about.

I absolutely recommend Body Beast by the way; it's an essential Beach Body program.

I'm gonna finish BB next week, and I was thinking about doing a hybrid program, but I decided to stick with Beast for another round.

rkn

If you are pretty strict with your diet and eat a shitload of clean food, I'm pretty sure that you can add a lot of mass while also dropping bf% with Body Beast.

My diet has been probably 6.5/10, and I added a lot of, mostly, good weight. I lost some definition in my midsection, but nothing to be too worried about.

I absolutely recommend Body Beast by the way; it's an essential Beach Body program.

I'm gonna finish BB next week, and I was thinking about doing a hybrid program, but I decided to stick with Beast for another round.

Congrats. I'm actually excited about starting a new program. So worn on P90X and all that.

I'd say my diet is probably a 7.5, relatively clean. Still eat a bunch of fried/breaded stuff on occasion. My problem with P90X/2, is that I think I've been going through the motions, not really pushing my limits. So this sort of muscle memory stuff seems to be in effect. I've done these moves so many times I don't think my body is reacting anymore. Also been only doing 4 days on and 3 off, and doing about 30 min interval training as cardio. Not really working for me.

Just did a quick preview of the Lean Beast, looks good, these dudes are huge man, that horse meat.

entremet

So, I see a lot of conflicting opinions about strength training in the morning before eating. Can anyone tell me or link me to anything definitive?

People do it all the time. Really, it's a personal thing. There's no one size fits all approach. Some people work out fasted fine and have a nice post workout meal. Some can't and need some fuel before hand.

But there is no conclusive evidence that working out fasted is detrimental towards muscle, weight loss, or overall health in healthy individuals without diabetes or other metabolic diseases.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Congrats. I'm actually excited about starting a new program. So worn on P90X and all that.

I'd say my diet is probably a 7.5, relatively clean. Still eat a bunch of fried/breaded stuff on occasion. My problem with P90X/2, is that I think I've been going through the motions, not really pushing my limits. So this sort of muscle memory stuff seems to be in effect. I've done these moves so many times I don't think my body is reacting anymore. Also been only doing 4 days on and 3 off, and doing about 30 min interval training as cardio. Not really working for me.

Just did a quick preview of the Lean Beast, looks good, these dudes are huge man, that horse meat.

Yeah, it's good to switch programs every now and then so your body can adapt to new moves.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

What weights are you using for Power HIIT 1 and Upper Body Blow Out?

So strange. I'm getting a lot out of LMC. Particularly my legs & core (even after P90X2) but also my shoulders & arms. And I'm always drenched after I'm done. It seems like these workouts are really about the intensity you put into them - I assume you're going knees higher, kicking higher, putting more of your body into the punches etc and I think you mentioned you're using weighted gloves. Maybe you're just in a lot better shape than I am :) I can see though if you're not that into the workouts to begin with it'd be hard to motivate yourself.

Have you tried messing with the schedule? For example, doing both HIIT videos plus Core on the same day? Many of the workouts are short enough so you can mix & match.

Today is day 19 for me.

Also day 10 of the burpee challenge. So far I'm doing them as part of my warm ups.

What weights are you using for Power HIIT 1 and Upper Body Blow Out?

So strange. I'm getting a lot out of LMC. Particularly my legs & core (even after P90X2) but also my shoulders & arms. And I'm always drenched after I'm done. It seems like these workouts are really about the intensity you put into them - I assume you're going knees higher, kicking higher, putting more of your body into the punches etc and I think you mentioned you're using weighted gloves. Maybe you're just in a lot better shape than I am :) I can see though if you're not that into the workouts to begin with it'd be hard to motivate yourself.

Have you tried messing with the schedule? For example, doing both HIIT videos plus Core on the same day? Many of the workouts are short enough so you can mix & match.

Today is day 19 for me.

Also day 10 of the burpee challenge. So far I'm doing them as part of my warm ups.

10kg weights (~20lbs). Tried upping it but those squat drives put a lot of pressure on my back. I do all this stuff at martial arts thats possibly the reason Im not enjoying it. I might re visit it someday though.

Heres my results from BB (the bottom ones) - The rest are from other BB workouts:

Results-1.jpg

Results-2.gif

I loved BB. Weight training at fast intervals can still burn as much calories as a cardio routine. I'd definetly recommend this one. You will burn fat and pack on some muscle in the process. Don't expect to be a mountain like the guys in the program though.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
10kg weights (~20lbs). Tried upping it but those squat drives put a lot of pressure on my back. I do all this stuff at martial arts thats possibly the reason Im not enjoying it. I might re visit it someday though.

Ah, that makes sense. I've never done any martial arts prior to this, outside of Kenpo in P90X and the punches & kicks in Power90.

Body Beast is up next for me. I'm going to do a challenge pack, supplements included. Planned start date is April 1.

Jzero

Heres my results from BB (the bottom ones) - The rest are from other BB workouts:

I loved BB. Weight training at fast intervals can still burn as much calories as a cardio routine. I'd definetly recommend this one. You will burn fat and pack on some muscle in the process. Don't expect to be a mountain like the guys in the program though.
Oh my, i was thinking of trying insanity but this looks better for skinny guys like me that are trying to get bigger.

Just did P90X2's Shouder & Arms work out for the first time. I liked the quick pace of the moves. Definitely need to up the weights slightly, but I expected not to get it perfectly the first time around

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I haven't done Plyometrics in almost a year, so I decided to do it today instead of Beast Cardio. As kick-butt as I remember it, lol, but felt great after finishing it.

fuenf

I'm starting Phase 2 tomorrow, unfortunately I wont be able to do Plyo anymore (I cant do any jump moves in the flat I'm currently living in). I thought about substituting it with Core Syn, is that a good or bad idea? Another possiblity would be Plyo without any actual jumping... could a Plyo / Core Syn mix work?

Btw. I finally "got" Yoga during my rest week and I'm actually having fun doing it. Tony is killing me, though, the right side versions of the "Warrior movelist" seem way longer than the left side versions. I guess I'll simply switch my feet the next time I'm doing Yoga.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm starting Phase 2 tomorrow, unfortunately I wont be able to do Plyo anymore (I cant do any jump moves in the flat I'm currently living in). I thought about substituting it with Core Syn, is that a good or bad idea? Another possiblity would be Plyo without any actual jumping... could a Plyo / Core Syn mix work?

Btw. I finally "got" Yoga during my rest week and I'm actually having fun doing it. Tony is killing me, though, the right side versions of the "Warrior movelist" seem way longer than the left side versions. I guess I'll simply switch my feet the next time I'm doing Yoga.

Why exactly can't you do the jumping moves?

Plyometrics is jump training, so it would be worthless to do it without any of the jumps. If you absolutely can't do it, maybe because the ceiling of your workout area is too low, then doing Core Synergistics wouldn't be a bad idea, although they are totally different workouts.

fuenf

Why exactly can't you do the jumping moves?

Plyometrics is jump training, so it would be worthless to do it without any of the jumps. If you absolutely can't do it, maybe because the ceiling of your workout area is too low, then doing Core Synergistics wouldn't be a bad idea, although they are totally different workouts.

It's a wooden floor that can't support any jump moves. Everytime I jump the whole room is shaking. In a few weeks I should be able to do Plyo outside but as of right now I see no feasible way of doing it. I was thinking about Core Syn because it made me sweat like hell and seemed like a pretty good cardio routine.

mehdi_san

Got an email from Beachbody about some TH DVDs being on sale. There's a one on one "travel pack" in particular that looks interesting. Anyone ever tried the one on one series?

I've decided to do another month of Asylum Vol. 2. Still not bored with it, really loving this program.

On another note I was watching Modern Family last week and I saw a preview for the Bachelor. Sean from Body Beast is the freakin bachelor. I bet those women emasculate him more than Sagi did.

Day 1 of BB - "This is a nice change of pace, the instructor is a little weird...

Day 84 of BB - "SAGI SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP"

I saw some decent gains with BB so I can't say I hated it but every single person in those videos annoyed the shit out of me.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
About done with my first go-around with Asylum (1). I can tell for sure that it's worked and toned some muscles even P90X/2 didn't get. There are some cool moves in the program that really go outside the box and work you. I still can't seem to get rid of them small tire I have left around my midsection, but I can tell most in my arms and shoulders that Asylum helped.

I plan to do another month of it, then order Asylum 2. I also love that the Asylum calendar has a P90X/Asylum hybrid and an Insanity/Asylum hybrid schedule on the back.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Got an email from Beachbody about some TH DVDs being on sale. There's a one on one "travel pack" in particular that looks interesting. Anyone ever tried the one on one series?

I have a couple of them, but haven't tried them. Tomorrow's an LMC rest day so I am planning to do the Yoga one I got. I think it's Fountain of Youth from Volume 1.

About done with my first go-around with Asylum (1). I can tell for sure that it's worked and toned some muscles even P90X/2 didn't get. There are some cool moves in the program that really go outside the box and work you. I still can't seem to get rid of them small tire I have left around my midsection, but I can tell most in my arms and shoulders that Asylum helped.

I plan to do another month of it, then order Asylum 2. I also love that the Asylum calendar has a P90X/Asylum hybrid and an Insanity/Asylum hybrid schedule on the back.

I'm kind of tempted to do another round of Asylum after I finish LMC -- my cardio endurance has improved and I'm a lot stronger all over than my first round (which was prior to P90X2).

But maybe it'd be better to stick with my plan of Body Beast next and then Asylum afterwards for cutting.

Youre at the stage I am. Stubborn fat. The exercise isn't the problem, its the diet. I've been stuck with the stubborn fat for 6 months or so now and only recently till I switched diets did I notice a big change quickly.

Have a look into intermittent fasting. It seriously does work. I've lost 2% body fat in 2 weeks.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html
http://rippedbody.jp/
http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

I've had to up my calorific intake immensely though.

RPG

Finished up my second run of P90X about 10 days ago and been treading water with a mix of yoga, Cardio and CoreSyn, now I'm thinking of diving into X2 next. Not really looking at getting huge, just trying to maintain this lean, toned physique I've earned.

I think I'm going to splurge on the Ultimate set though. Most of the reviews on the Body Beach equipment are positive and saves me some of the hassle of having to mix and match what I need. Also need to reorder new bands since my red BMP one broke in the final week of P90X.

KingGondo

Banned
Finished up my second run of P90X about 10 days ago and been treading water with a mix of yoga, Cardio and CoreSyn, now I'm thinking of diving into X2 next. Not really looking at getting huge, just trying to maintain this lean, toned physique I've earned.

I think I'm going to splurge on the Ultimate set though. Most of the reviews on the Body Beach equipment are positive and saves me some of the hassle of having to mix and match what I need. Also need to reorder new bands since my red BMP one broke in the final week of P90X.
I've found X2 to be exactly what you want. Focused on the core, more synergistic than X1 in general. It doesn't feel as difficult, but you'll get great results if you stick with it.

Also, you should call BMP. If a band snapped they'll send you one for free. Also be sure to ask about the super-heavy orange band. They sent me one of those for free as well.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Youre at the stage I am. Stubborn fat. The exercise isn't the problem, its the diet. I've been stuck with the stubborn fat for 6 months or so now and only recently till I switched diets did I notice a big change quickly.

Have a look into intermittent fasting. It seriously does work. I've lost 2% body fat in 2 weeks.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html
http://rippedbody.jp/
http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

I've had to up my calorific intake immensely though.

Will do, thanks!

As a side note. I took a break from Asylum today and did the Nike+ Kinect game. It's actually a hell of a workout. Once you do the tests it makes you a custom program based on your goals (fat loss, fitness, etc) and you do it on the specified days. You can even do a quick workout where you pick what kind of workout (cardio, etc) and time limit (15-60 min) and go. I'd recommend it even to those doing these programs for something in-between programs.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION

Yes, I've mentioned it before in this thread. I've tried Just Arms and Upper Body Massacre 30-15. Just Arms is biceps, triceps and forearms, UBM is chest and back (push-ups and pull-ups only).
I think both are great for adding some variation to your P90X/2 schedule, I like them a lot, right now I actually prefer them over the regular arms/chest/back routines in P90X/2.

One on ones have a more laid-back tone as well, since Tony has to do everything by himself in the video, the breaks between sets are longer. I like it though, gives me more time to rest up before going at it again. Feels less like a super-directed workout and more like hanging out with Tony. :p

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Infinite_Daremo, correct me if I'm wrong, but for this IF stuff you just need to go 16 hours without eating a thing, and during a window of 8 hours you gotta eat all your calories, right?

I wanna try to do it since it doesn't sound too hard. Do you also have any tips/recommendations?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Hey folks, just wanted to let you all know that I am now an independent TBB Coach. I'm not going to say anything more about it here as it'd be advertising. PM me if you have any questions. I'll continue posting here for accountability & progress reports like I have been.

Rest day today, but I'm going to do today's burpees for the challenge (day 12) and a Tony Horton One on One Yoga workout.

Infinite_Daremo, correct me if I'm wrong, but for this IF stuff you just need to go 16 hours without eating a thing, and during a window of 8 hours you gotta eat all your calories, right?

I wanna try to do it since it doesn't sound too hard. Do you also have any tips/recommendations?

Yup, thats it.

I do this program:

11.30-12 AM or 5-15 minutes pre-workout: 10 g BCAA
12-1 PM: Training
1 PM: Post-workout meal (largest meal of the day).
4 PM: Second meal.
9 PM: Last meal before the fast.

Im a newbie at it myself. I got the recommendation from the Fitness thread. Theres all the info you generally need on the 3 sites i listed.

Hey folks, just wanted to let you all know that I am now an independent TBB Coach. I'm not going to say anything more about it here as it'd be advertising. PM me if you have any questions. I'll continue posting here for accountability & progress reports like I have been.

Rest day today, but I'm going to do today's burpees for the challenge (day 12) and a Tony Horton One on One Yoga workout.

Congrats on that. So youre training people now?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Congrats on that. So youre training people now?

More like helping people decide what program is best for them, providing motivation, support & guidance as they do the programs, answering any questions they have. Beachbody does have P90X and Insanity Certification programs that allow you to do conduct classes & help people with the moves, form, etc but I haven't done that.

But like I said it's something of a business so I don't want to get too much into it here. PM me if you have specific questions.

I want to keep posting here as a fellow fitness junkie :)

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Congrats Steve. Are you planning to go to one of those Beach Body summits? It would be an awesome opportunity for networking and stuff.

Island

Thoughts on swapping Yoga X2 for the first one while doing P90x? I'm a bit OCD about completing things "properly", but can't stand the length of Yoga X. Plus I find it boring. Anything I am missing by swapping it out?

Thoughts on swapping Yoga X2 for the first one while doing P90x? I'm a bit OCD about completing things "properly", but can't stand the length of Yoga X. Plus I find it boring. Anything I am missing by swapping it out?

Nope. As long as you're doing some form of Yoga you're getting its benefits.

Top Bottom