• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Red

If you have the resistance bands, then you can use them like the kids on the vids for a pull up variation.
No real place to anchor them. I don't know anything that can replace that motion. When it warms up I can start doing them in the garage, but I was hoping to start them before then.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
No real place to anchor them. I don't know anything that can replace that motion. When it warms up I can start doing them in the garage, but I was hoping to start them before then.

You don't have a door around you for this?

resistance-band-pull-up.jpg

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Is there a recommended diet calorie/protein/carb count that goes with P90(x)?

P90X and many of the other Beachbody programs include detailed diet plans which you can tailor based on your own goals. They also recommend their Shakeology meal replacement shake. I recently tried a sample of the chocolate (which was really good), but it's not a "required" feature of the meal plans.

Outside if that your macronutrient counts depend on your goals -- fat loss, muscle gain, maintenance. In general for fat loss you want to limit your carbs -- averaging about 75g per day is a good goal, and you generally don't want to exceed on average 150g per day of carbs for weight maintenance. And those carbs should be mostly from vegetables, whole fruit and fiber. Avoid refined carbs like sugar and white flour, and stuck with whole grains if you eat any.

For protein, some people say you should aim for about 1g per pound of lean body weight. You can figure out your body fat percentage & calculate it but it's fine to guess it.

The third macronutrient is fat. Your goal here is to aim for as close to a 1:1 omega 6 to omega 3 ratio as possible. This means avoiding vegetable oils other than extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil or avocado oil, and focusing on saturated animal fats particularly from grass-fed animals. Supplementing with fish oil capsules will help here.

By focusing on protein and healthy fats you'll be satiated longer when you eat. Carb-heavy meals can leave you hungry again sooner.

____

Fucking fuck fuckitty fuck fuck. Fuck. I was doing Plyo last night, and just before the bonus round, I rolled my ankle pretty bad. I 'think' I heard something that sounded like a light 'rip' sound, and I fell to the floor for a few mins and limped around until the initial pain went away.

This morning, its very very slightly swollen on a tiny spot on my ankle, and it hurts if I plant my foot and twist my ankle while keeping my foot stationary. I can walk pretty good and it doesn't hurt to do normal activities, but I'm afraid to do anything else w/ my feet until it's healed.

Thank goodness today is Arms / Shoulders and tomorrow is Yoga. I might try some of the yoga to see how my ankle fares, but if I have a problem w/ lunges, I'm not sure what I'll be able to do because Legs / Back is next and then Kenpo. :|

I wrapped it w/ an ace bandage and plan to keep it elevated / iced and hope for the best. I'm assuming since I can do most everything without any real pain except twisting it from side to side, it should heal pretty quickly. I'm optimistic, but this is turrible.

Thanks! Next up for me Les Mills Combat. Tomorrow's a rest day but I'm going to do their tutorial disk, then I start the "Ultimate Warrior" hybrid schedule on Thursday.

Yea keep us updated! Overall how did you like X2, especially you have now done several programs?

Fucking fuck fuckitty fuck fuck. Fuck. I was doing Plyo last night, and just before the bonus round, I rolled my ankle pretty bad. I 'think' I heard something that sounded like a light 'rip' sound, and I fell to the floor for a few mins and limped around until the initial pain went away.

This morning, its very very slightly swollen on a tiny spot on my ankle, and it hurts if I plant my foot and twist my ankle while keeping my foot stationary. I can walk pretty good and it doesn't hurt to do normal activities, but I'm afraid to do anything else w/ my feet until it's healed.

Thank goodness today is Arms / Shoulders and tomorrow is Yoga. I might try some of the yoga to see how my ankle fares, but if I have a problem w/ lunges, I'm not sure what I'll be able to do because Legs / Back is next and then Kenpo. :|

I wrapped it w/ an ace bandage and plan to keep it elevated / iced and hope for the best. I'm assuming since I can do most everything without any real pain except twisting it from side to side, it should heal pretty quickly. I'm optimistic, but this is turrible.

Hang in there man. I'm sorry to hear that happened. Any injury or things that slow down our progress is frustrating. No matter what happens keep checking back here ok?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

I rolled my ankle back near the end of Insanity. I just wrapped the ankle tightly during workouts for about 6 weeks and it was fine after that. You might want to have a doctor look at it if it's too painful, though.

____

Hang in there man. I'm sorry to hear that happened. Any injury or things that slow down our progress is frustrating. No matter what happens keep checking back here ok?

Thanks, I most definitely will. I'm not going to let this slow me all the way down. I'm glad things are structured in a way that I can continue on with other body parts and don't have Plyo again until next Monday. Once a few days have passed of low-activity on this ankle, I will try some light exercise to see how it feels, and I'll likely keep it wrapped just in case.

Edit:

I rolled my ankle back near the end of Insanity. I just wrapped the ankle tightly during workouts for about 6 weeks and it was fine after that. You might want to have a doctor look at it if it's too painful, though.

Ok, cool, that's what I plan on doing. I have it wrapped now, but not really too too tight. I'll wrap it a little tighter. I thought about seeing a doctor, but it's not hindering me from doing anything except working out at the moment (seemingly), so I'll monitor the level of pain over the next couple days and make a call from there.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Yea keep us updated! Overall how did you like X2, especially you have now done several programs?

X2 is by far my favorite. I think my schedule for the year is going to be Les Mills Combat, Body Beast, Asylum 2, and then a shortened P90X2 (3 weeks per phase). After that I will do hybrids and maybe incorporate some big lifts, while waiting for P90X3 :)

owlbeak

I'm no doctor, but I would have it looked at before you begin working out again.

I say this because I "twisted" my ankle pretty badly a few years ago playing hockey. My ankle swelled and it hurt, but after a few days it was fine and I could walk around like nothing happened. It only hurt if I held my foot stationary and turned my ankle from side to side or if it moved a certain way, like you said.

Mentioned it to my doctor in passing a couple months later and he sent me for an MRI, turned out I had torn my peroneal tendon and the joint was full of scar tissue. Ended up having to get surgery to fix the tendon and orthoscopic surgery to clean out the scar tissue and ended up not being able to bear weight for a month, and then partial weight bearing for two months, and five months of physical therapy. :(

Better safe than sorry!

____

I'm no doctor, but I would have it looked at before you begin working out again.

I say this because I "twisted" my ankle pretty badly a few years ago playing hockey. My ankle swelled and it hurt, but after a few days it was fine and I could walk around like nothing happened. It only hurt if I held my foot stationary and turned my ankle from side to side or if it moved a certain way, like you said.

Mentioned it to my doctor in passing a couple months later and he sent me for an MRI, turned out I had torn my peroneal tendon and the joint was full of scar tissue. Ended up having to get surgery to fix the tendon and orthoscopic surgery to clean out the scar tissue and ended up not being able to bear weight for a month, and then partial weight bearing for two months, and five months of physical therapy. :(

Better safe than sorry!

Ouch

I was just coming back here to say that it feels better (of course, not 100%) after having it wrapped all day today. I took the wrap off about 15 mins ago and I can pivot my ankle without the sharp pain I had before, but I'm going to wrap it back up in a few minutes and continue to take it easy on that ankle.

I will take your advice, though. I definitely don't want any long-term or bigger issues that could've been prevented with a $20 copay.

owlbeak

Ouch

I was just coming back here to say that it feels better (of course, not 100%) after having it wrapped all day today. I took the wrap off about 15 mins ago and I can pivot my ankle without the sharp pain I had before, but I'm going to wrap it back up in a few minutes and continue to take it easy on that ankle.

I will take your advice, though. I definitely don't want any long-term or bigger issues that could've been prevented with a $20 copay.
Glad that it's better! Give it a week or so and see how it goes. If it swells or bruises after you're on your feet a lot or after say, plyo, or another involved exercise, you may want to see a doctor. That's why I mentioned it to my doctor, because it would be swollen and slightly bruised after a long day.

If not, you're probably fine! :)

In unrelated news, finished day 1 with my coworker this morning. It sure is a lot more fun working out with a friend. I'd never done it before, but it's nice to get a little competition going!

As of tomorrow I will have completed my first week of Power 90 ever, having tried but failed to get started because of this or that bullshit. I cannot believe the change in strength I have from only 5 days of the program. I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow as I want to see if I can better me performance.

This is awesome.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Beast Body folks, do you get more definition during the Beast Phase in the program? I feel flabby around the waist, so I hope the extra cardio/build routines help me get rid off it.

I also noticed some new red stretch marks around my armpits today. Any idea why is this?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Beast Body folks, do you get more definition during the Beast Phase in the program? I feel flabby around the waist, so I hope the extra cardio/build routines help me get rid off it.

I also noticed some new red stretch marks around my armpits today. Any idea why is this?

Not Body Beast-specific, mind you -- The cardio may help but you might want to adjust your macros too, or even try an IF/lean gains type of eating schedule. I don't know wha the Body Beast nutrition plan recommends.

About to do Les Mills Combat day 3. Even after over a year of non-stop Beachbody workouts, I have soreness in my quads, calves, lower lats, biceps and shoulders. It's all about what you put into it. So far so good!

fuenf

wow @Kenpo X, I couldnt get used to the kicking motions and always messed up my punching routines etc. Lately I was feeling pretty down because moving into a new apartment caused me to miss a week of workouts, I was sore and my whole body was aching. Anyway I picked up P90X again a couple of days ago, but my motivation was down the drain and the workouts were a chore, still somehow todays Kenpo X workout was amazing... it went really smooth and pretty much revitalized me (& my P90X program). I'm definitely looking foward to the rest of the program now. I'll extend Phase 1 by 1 week (because of the move) and see how it goes from there.

Which brings me to my question, is it just me or does P90X get harder once you get better at it?

I've noticed this especially with AB Ripper X, in the beginning I was maybe completing 20-40% of the reps but now that I'm able to do 60 to 100% of the reps on most of the routines (except those fucking obligue V-Ups, I think my body just isnt build for them but I'll keep trying anyway...) it's literally draining every ounce of energy I have left after a wourkout.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
wow @Kenpo X, I couldnt get used to the kicking motions and always messed up my punching routines etc. Lately I was feeling pretty down because moving into a new apartment caused me to miss a week of workouts, I was sore and my whole body was aching. Anyway I picked up P90X again a couple of days ago, but my motivation was down the drain and the workouts were a chore, still somehow todays Kenpo X workout was amazing... it went really smooth and pretty much revitalized me (& my P90X program). I'm definitely looking foward to the rest of the program now. I'll extend Phase 1 by 1 week (because of the move) and see how it goes from there.

Which brings me to my question, is it just me or does P90X get harder once you get better at?

I've noticed this especially with AB Ripper X, in the beginning I was maybe completing 20-40% of the reps but now that I'm able to do 60 to 100% of the reps on most of the routines (except those fucking obligue V-Ups, I think my body just isnt build for them but I'll keep trying anyway...) it's literally draining every ounce of energy I have left after a wourkout.
If you put your all into the workouts, they really won't ever get easy (at least not for a while). As you get into better shape, you're able to push yourself further — more reps, more weight, higher jumps, etc. So yeah, you're on the right track. :)

fuenf

That's good to know. I just wasnt sure whether it was getting harder because I'm doing better or if I simply couldnt keep up with a 90 day program.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
And week three is done! Onto my first "rest" week, I guess. Physically, things aren't dramatically different, but everything is tighter. I love how this makes me feel in the morning.

IrishNinja

entering the final week of month 2...man i just want my like hour-and-a-half a day back at this point, heh

tony's corniness grows on you (even if i wonder if pam the blam/other females feel harassed sometimes), but who do ya'll find the most grating? there's this interior designer, kate or something, she's on the back & bicep day, and this chick whines/laughs at every dam thing with her awful laugh like it's her show or something...UGH, woman go do your stupid corn cobblers or whatever

ps i swear to god i can recite like half the ab ripper x script now, its so sad. still can't do the whole thing but its gotten easier!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I think something like P90X could work well for me in a lot of ways...but no way will I do 90 minutes a day + setup. I saw this and wondered if anyone has tried it:

http://xcompanionguide.blogspot.ca/2011/10/p90x-short-no-time-for-p90x-or-to.html

Cuts the length to something that is a bit more reasonable (IMO). Of course, if it isn't effective, there is no point.

If you are expecting to get good results, do the program as it was intended the first time and don't take "shortcuts".

It really isn't 90 minutes per workout. Most can be done in 1:10 minutes, and "setting up" takes like 2 minutes.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
If you are expecting to get good results, do the program as it was intended the first time and don't take "shortcuts".

It really isn't 90 minutes per workout. Most can be done in 1:10 minutes, and "setting up" takes like 2 minutes.

Yep, also, if you're really committed you will MAKE the time. And above all it takes commitment and consistency to get & stay fit. Accountability helps, too -- so post your progress here!

Completed my first week of Les Mills Combat. It's a lot of fun and a GREAT workout. A much better leg workout than any of the other programs I've done so far. So many lunges, squats and kicks... This week I've been sore in my calves, quads, hamstrings, glutes, lower lats, arms, and shoulders, and my stomach feels tighter. The core-specific workout starts out super-easy but becomes quite humbling. Really great stuff.

tony's corniness grows on you (even if i wonder if pam the blam/other females feel harassed sometimes), but who do ya'll find the most grating?

Hahaha, I'm doing P90 and Tony's like "Kelly, spread your legs a little bit wider girl"

It's hard not to crack up in the middle of a workout.

Vanz

Banned
Hi guys! I'm going to start the P90X program today :)

My stats:
Height: 176 cm.
Weight: 48.5 kg.

My goals are to gain some weight/muscle, I tried a month of strength training but I'm just too weak and frail :( (i gained 2 kg but still, I got burned out, my body just couldn't handle the workouts lol)

So, is it possible to do this with P90X? Or is it more of a weight loss kind of program? I figured if I eat enough food it will be ok for my goals but I'm not sure lol.

Anyways, looking forward to start this! Looks really fun :)

Cheers!

fuenf

My stats:

My goals are to gain some weight/muscle, I tried a month of strength training but I'm just too weak and frail :( (i gained 2 kg but still, I got burned out, my body just couldn't handle the workouts lol)

So, is it possible to do this with P90X? Or is it more of a weight loss kind of program? I figured if I eat enough food it will be ok for my goals but I'm not sure lol.

Cheers!

I'm still a P90X newb so I'm sure others are more qualified to answer your questions but I think while it's possible it's hard to gain weight with P90X. It's relatively cardio heavy and you'll most likely have to eat like a truck. It's not a weight loss program but a general fitness program. Your body image WILL improve, you WILL feel better about yourself and your general fitness level. If I were you, I wouldnt focus on gaining weight right away and rather do the program to improve my fitness, it's best to look at any weight gains as a bonus. At the very least it will prepare you for more strength training.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

My stats:

Cheers!

You can put on good weight, but more importantly, you'll definitely get stronger. You are gonna have to eat a lot of clean food though. How much do you usually eat now in calories if you can make an estimation?

Vanz

Banned
You can put on good weight, but more importantly, you'll definitely get stronger. You are gonna have to eat a lot of clean food though. How much do you usually eat now in calories if you can make an estimation?

I'd say around 2000-2500 based on MyFitnessPal, so I must have a crazy metabolism lol. I'll try to add another 500 but it's going to be tough :/

Anyways, I just finished my first p90x session and holy **** it kicked my ass x_x lmao.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
2500 seems like a perfect amount for your height and weight. See how you perform and results during the first few weeks and adjust your caloric intake depending on that.

And yeah, Chest and Back is how P90X welcomes you :p

Vanz

Banned
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD

Plyo X nearly killed me lol

I checked my Heart rate and during some of the exercises it was at 160 bpm, no wonder I was sweating my ass off lmao.

This is sooo fun :) loving the program so far :D

5,4...3,2... I ALREADY HATE YOU DUDE lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've lost more weight in my rest week than I have during the rest of the program, and it's only day four (of the week). It could just be a coincidence and my body broke through the plateau it was on. Is this sort of thing normal?

Vanz

Banned
Well, Shoulders & Arms + Ab Ripper was waaaaaaay easier than plyometrics, still kicked my ass though lol but yesterday's workout was a freaking nightmare lmao.

I've lost more weight in my rest week than I have during the rest of the program, and it's only day four (of the week). It could just be a coincidence and my body broke through the plateau it was on. Is this sort of thing normal?

When I did the full 7 week Insanity program I lost more weight during the intermission/rest/core cardio & balance week than the entire month combined.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD

Plyo X nearly killed me lol

I checked my Heart rate and during some of the exercises it was at 160 bpm, no wonder I was sweating my ass off lmao.

This is sooo fun :) loving the program so far :D

5,4...3,2... I ALREADY HATE YOU DUDE lol

During Insanity my BPM generally peaks at 175 during the harder circuits and only goes down to 150 during the 30 second rest.

Vanz

Banned
Well, today I was supposed to do Yoga X but since I hate yoga I went with Core Synergistics instead. I managed to keep Tony's pace so I guess I'm pretty fit :p it made me happy lol.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Did Upper Body Massacre from the Tony Horton One on One series instead of Chest and Back. Straight push-ups, pull-ups for an hour.

I made it through just fine at a 20-10 push/pull clip. Tony was going for 30-15, but had to drop down to 25-12 for the last 5-6 sets.

It didn't quite have the same balls to the walls pace of Chest and Back. It wasn't until the last 4 exercises that I felt fatigued and perhaps that was only because I bumped it up to 30-12.

OchreHand

Scott! Your form SUCK!

I am surrender for you Beast.

Haha - I love when he says that. There's a few more that Sagi says that I repeat out loud, but I think my favorite is when he imitates his mother and in high pitched voice he says "Beast, write it down!"

I can't believe I am 3 weeks away from completing Body Beast! That would mean I have now done p90x and Body Beast back to back. I think I'm becoming a Beach Body addict.

3phemeral

Okay, I'm going to try this again. I started off last year sometime June for about a month, but I was unable to complete the program because I had to visit back home for 2 months and was unable to find the time to workout due to family/friends quality time commitments. Got back home, had to move places, lost the groove and now I'm finally going to push for it with no foreseeable breaks in the near future (the next 90 days, at least).

Did Cardio X yesterday as a sort of warm up, so gonna go full out when I get back today with the standard program sheet.

*pumps fists*

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I can safely say to everyone.

Les Mills Combat is shit,

If you want to lose weight, do Insanity/Asylum
Want to get bigger, do P90X/Body Beast

I haven't felt pushed in the slightest. I even managed to full 60 min workout without feeling drained.

Save your money.

Well, I'm 10 days in on the Ultimate Warrior program, and I have to disagree. I'm getting excellent lower body and core work in particular, and good upper body work as well. I've been more sore in my calves, quads, hamstrings, butt & lower lats than in any of the other programs I've done, and I'm sweating more than I have since Asylum.

The core workout Core Attack is excellent, better even than Asylum 1's Back to Core.

It's good stuff -- but it does require intensity, like Kenpo. I am planning to get weighted gloves. I'm most pleased with the lower body & core work I'm getting. My coordination & kicks are improving, and it is definitely fun.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Haha - I love when he says that. There's a few more that Sagi says that I repeat out loud, but I think my favorite is when he imitates his mother and in high pitched voice he says "Beast, write it down!"

I can't believe I am 3 weeks away from completing Body Beast! That would mean I have now done p90x and Body Beast back to back. I think I'm becoming a Beach Body addict.

Hahaha, that part makes me lol.

The other day I was doing Body Beast at the gym while watching The Bachelor on one of the TVs. The bachelor appears in one of the BB workouts,

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I will add that so far, Les Mills Combat isn't as hard as Asylum or Insanity month 2. I haven't been exhausted by any of the workouts so far, laying in a pool of sweat gasping for breath. There are some sequences in some of the workouts where I struggle to keep up or complete all the reps, though, and I know from muscle soreness that I'm getting good work done all over, lower body & core in particular.

So while in terms of cardiovascular/aerobic endurance it's not as intense, it's still an effective workout and a lot of fun.

Top Bottom