• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Well that sounds freaking delicious. Maybe one day I'll motivate myself to put that much effort and ingredient selection into my Shakeology ritual. :)

It's amazing. Nutrition facts:

With Vegan Tropical Strawberry: Cal 512, Carbs 57g, Fat 22g, Protein 26g
With non-Vegan Chocolate: Cal 503, Carbs 53g, Fat 22g, Protein 28g

OH HEY GUYS

I signed up for a half-marathon today (Navy Air Force Half in DC in September) and pushed back my Tough Mudder from this past Saturday (where someone happened to die) to October, so now is as good a time as any to stop making excuses for myself and get back into P90X and living healthy.

Awesome to see all the familiar faces still active in here, and BeautifulMemory was a very good source of encouragement (in addition to PM'ing a while back, he linked me to vatstep's recent post which really does help). Also saw that Steve is now a BB coach, which is very awesome.

I'll set some legit goals and get going any way I can (current place still isn't great for the program, but I'm making sure wherever I move at the beginning of September is), but just wanted to pop in and commit in writing/say hello to everyone.

Sounds great! Welcome back!

And thanks :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeesh, yeah. Creamy 500-calorie shakes are definitely something I can see at some point in my glorious future, but for now I need to run a consistent deficit for a while.

I don't know if you guys know this, but it is way easier to gain weight than to lose weight!!!!

(...pedal pedal pedal)

I think I might have neglected to congratulate you before too Steve, way to move up in the BB world :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
THREAD TITLE AND OT UPDATED!

Added details on Insanity, Asylum, and T-25. Also added links to other popular Beachbody workouts. Added Gaf Graduates section for Insanity/Asylum/T-25/Power 90.

*Dances*

(Thanks to Bish for the title update)

If you see that Insanity thread floating around send a PM to a mod to lock it up. Thanks!

THREAD TITLE AND OT UPDATED!

Added details on Insanity, Asylum, and T-25. Also added links to other popular Beachbody workouts. Added Gaf Graduates section for Insanity/Asylum/T-25/Power 90.

*Dances*

(Thanks to Bish for the title update)

If you see that Insanity thread floating around send a PM to a mod to lock it up. Thanks!

Looks good. We need a Body Beast grad list. If you could add me to that and Asylum 2. Thanks!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Whoa, new hotness thread. I know the catalyst was me coming back, don't lie.

Obviously. :p

We're only about half-way to OT2 so I figured I'd breathe some new life into this thread. Also I wanted to cater to the non-P90 workout crowd. BeachBody really has expanded to some great programs!

Obviously. :p

We're only about half-way to OT2 so I figured I'd breathe some new life into this thread. Also I wanted to cater to the non-P90 workout crowd. BeachBody really has expanded to some great programs!

If you wanted to get some of female-GAF in here your could add the ChaLEAN programs to the OP. My wife has done them all and loves them. She could never really get into P90X.

Korosenai

I just finished 8 weeks of Rushfit (the intermediate calendar) and now i'm about to start Insanity. I did gain a lot of muscle and i'm very satisfied with Rushfit, I just didn't lose as much weight as I wanted and my cardio sucks.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
If you wanted to get some of female-GAF in here your could add the ChaLEAN programs to the OP. My wife has done them all and loves them. She could never really get into P90X.

Beachbody has something like THIRTY-FIVE workout programs available, not counting Spanish language versions.

ChaLEAN, TurboFire, RevAbs, Brazil Butt Lift, Body Gospel, Tai Cheng, Turbo Jam, P90X One on One, Yoga Booty Ballet, etc. etc.

With the exception of Power90 this thread has been pretty focused on the more advanced BB workouts (and doesn't get into BB supplements either).

Oh DC, eventually you might want to make a note about Asylum that you need an agility ladder (although tape will do in a pinch).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Added to the other workout section!

Beachbody has something like THIRTY-FIVE workout programs available, not counting Spanish language versions.

ChaLEAN, TurboFire, RevAbs, Brazil Butt Lift, Body Gospel, Tai Cheng, Turbo Jam, P90X One on One, Yoga Booty Ballet, etc. etc.

With the exception of Power90 this thread has been pretty focused on the more advanced BB workouts (and doesn't get into BB supplements either).

Oh DC, eventually you might want to make a note about Asylum that you need an agility ladder (although tape will do in a pinch).

I have the ladder note under Asylum, under what you need. :p

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
ePu0tO2l.png

"I worked out with a dumbbell yesterday — I feel vigorous."

<3 Shoulders & Arms

grumble

yoga booty ballet

So, Insanity doesn't require anything at all, right?

Can a beginner do this without dying?

Only requirement is digging deeper™.

As long as you don't give up, you'll be able to finish it just fine. I highly recommend following the nutritional guide too, I lost a very good amount of weight after just my first month and felt fantastic after the second.

tmarques

yoga booty ballet

Thousands of hindus roll collectively in their graves.

I don't know if you guys know this, but it is way easier to gain weight than to lose weight!!!!

Not in my experience. I love my Ashtanga and my Bikram and cardio in general. I can put up with lifting if it takes no more than 30-40 minutes a day. But eating is a chore. I put on over 20 pounds of lean mass relatively quickly but after that plateaued pretty hard and I suspect it's because I'm not eating enough. That gallon of milk a day makes me want to puke just thinking about it. How stupid would talking 5 scoops of whey a day be?

FOOTE

Holy title change.

You all got your tickets to the show, right?

Edit- whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa... whoa. More lists? If you could add me to the Insanity and Body Beast lists that would be awesome.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Yeah, I am also a P90 graduate, as is BeautifulMemory.

Chris R

T-25 sounds interesting. I was looking at insanity but will wait to see what T-25 is all about before picking one or the other up.

ElfArmy177

I'm a beginner and about 3 weeks into insanity. Its hell, but its great. I haven't worked out in over 10 years and its very rough.

there are times im on the floor like a beached whale watching that dude jump around like its nothing.

you will get a workout, I promise.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Not in my experience. I love my Ashtanga and my Bikram and cardio in general. I can put up with lifting if it takes no more than 30-40 minutes a day. But eating is a chore. I put on over 20 pounds of lean mass relatively quickly but after that plateaued pretty hard and I suspect it's because I'm not eating enough. That gallon of milk a day makes me want to puke just thinking about it. How stupid would talking 5 scoops of whey a day be?
I um. I wasn't referring to muscle. I meant it's easier to be lazy and get fat than to lose weight through fitness. :p

big_z

As long as you don't have knee problems you can do it. I recommend Advil and low cal whey protein to help with muscle pain/recovery.

It's very hard and you'll be sore but if you dont half ass it and stick with it you'll get a great workout and nice results.

Bollocks

Seems Insanity does nothing for me.
I started it last year for the first time when I reached 74kg, during the first half I dropped slightly below 70.
First 1 1/2 weeks of the second half were good but after that I found myself skipping some days and ultimately ended it prematurely somewhere in week 3 of the second half.
After that I had about 68kg but since I no longer worked out my weight fell as low as 62.

Now almost a year later and a Christmas break in between I'm back up at 68 so I decide to do Insanity again.
Weird thing is I actually gained weight.
I just finished the recovery week and I'm now at 72, from 68 wtf.
A year ago I was down by 4 at that point.
I don't know what is causing this, surely worst case I should maintain my weight?
But I work out every day, changed my diet and then this.
It's really hard to motivate yourself if you don't get the results you expect/the results you had the first time around.

I do got stronger but it baffles me how I gained weight with all this workout.

Shadybiz

Ah, nice title change. Please add me to the list of Insanity grads! did it two summers ago, but still do a workout here and there. I may do another full cycle soon; haven't decided for sure.

FOOTE

I started it last year for the first time when I reached 74kg, during the first half I dropped slightly below 70.
First 1 1/2 weeks of the second half were good but after that I found myself skipping some days and ultimately ended it prematurely somewhere in week 3 of the second half.
After that I had about 68kg but since I no longer worked out my weight fell as low as 62.

Now almost a year later and a Christmas break in between I'm back up at 68 so I decide to do Insanity again.
I don't know what is causing this, surely worst case I should maintain my weight?
It's really hard to motivate yourself if you don't get the results you expect/the results you had the first time around.

How are your clothes fitting? The scale can be deceptive.

Me and the gf are gonna do p90x together....just gotta fine my damn chin up bar. Chin up bars are pretty much mandatory or can i get away with no door resistance bands?

Sordid

I'm thinking of giving Insanity a go, I'm not overweight really (5'8" and I weigh 11st) but I'm lazy and well out of shape. I know you don't need equipment but do you need a lot of room? The only spare room in my house is pretty tiny :/

Also, what happens after the 60 days are up? Do you start over again or move on to something less rigorous to keep yourself where you're at? I've really got no idea :lol I just know I want to get my arse in gear and get in shape before I hit 30.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm thinking of giving Insanity a go, I'm not overweight really (5'8" and I weigh 11st) but I'm lazy and well out of shape. I know you don't need equipment but do you need a lot of room? The only spare room in my house is pretty tiny :/

Also, what happens after the 60 days are up? Do you start over again or move on to something less rigorous to keep yourself where you're at? I've really got no idea :lol I just know I want to get my arse in gear and get in shape before I hit 30.

You can repeat it or try a different program.

Could be water weight? Are you drinking a lot?
With the gap in between it could also be extra muscle.
Dont weight yourself. Once a month maybe. Buy fat callipers if you want to torture yourself :D

Don't sweat it man. Just continue.

BeesEight

I've done P90x and Insanity. Looking at doing P90x2 this summer.

For those that have done the x2, how important are the supplementary equipment? I know the OP says that they enhance the program but does it feel more like a "cash grab" like the power stands of P90x or should I look into investing in medicine balls at some point (I already have a balance ball and am skeptical of those rollers)?

Also, I don't think I understand what Body Beast is. The website isn't particularly helpful. Is it like P90x but just a bunch of different routines?

Menaged

I have no idea if insanity will work for me weight wise since I don't have a scale... I'm just happy for the moment that I'm doing something with myself and eating better. Speaking of which - what should I eat after a workout? I don't have powders and stuff like that... and is there a time limit for an after workout meal? Should I eat it "x" amount of time after it?

And does anyone else feels like the following:
The first 2 days of Insanity (I guess it's the same with other programes), I felt like dying at the end. I finished day 5 (pure cardio - just insane...) and I felt alright at the end. Now, it might be due to the fact that my body isn't shocked that I'm doing some workout, but I can't shake the feeling that maybe I didn't push myself to the limit during the exercise, although I kinda think that while doing it, I just couldn't dig deeper.

Fritz

I am in my 6th week of P90X and I am slightly burned out. Not physically, there is still lot's of progress there, but I just have a hard time putting the DVD in every night and seeing that freaking face. Also, I cannot see much change in my appearance at this stage.

Some pep talk for me GAF?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I've done P90x and Insanity. Looking at doing P90x2 this summer.

For those that have done the x2, how important are the supplementary equipment? I know the OP says that they enhance the program but does it feel more like a "cash grab" like the power stands of P90x or should I look into investing in medicine balls at some point (I already have a balance ball and am skeptical of those rollers)?
I think at the bare minimum you will NEED a stability ball (and get the one they recommend -- a lot of others are not heavy duty & won't stand up to the things you use it for in X2). That's probably all that's absolutely required.

They always show folks doing alternative stretches without a foam roller. And you can always buy a foam roller at a local sports store if you decide you want one later.

And personally I think that you want to have at least two medicine balls. But you can get those from anywhere. Just make sure to get a "hard" medicine ball, and not one that's soft. You need something that will support weight without compressing.

I've heard of people using basketballs instead of medicine balls -- it may be worth a try.

Also, I don't think I understand what Body Beast is. The website isn't particularly helpful. Is it like P90x but just a bunch of different routines?

Body Beast is focused on increasing strength and mass. So the routines all involve lifting weights, including the cardio & abs workouts. Minimum required equipment is a set of dumbbells (adjustable or multiple weights) and a stability ball or weight bench. Body Beast says that if you follow the diet & supplement plan & do all the workouts you should gain 10lbs of muscle in the 90 days.

Top Bottom