• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Ah thanks but I don't really Facebook. Just have it so I appear normal ;)

Well, I won't hold that against you. ;) But Facebook groups are a great way to stay accountable.

I was happy to see that T25 has you using weights/bands. When I first heard about it I assumed it was going to be all cardio like Fast & Furious.

Yeah absolutely. It's the real deal.

By the way, I think some of you guys would make great TBB coaches. SteeloDMZ, Deadly Cyclone, Harry Potter, Foote and others. You've all shown a lot of dedication in this thread in helping out others with advice & encouragement. If any of you are interested shoot me a message & we can chat about it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alright, that new Shaun T workout looks great. Although from starting Insanity again last night it's going to be a beast. Insanity nearly killed me. I get worn down about half-way through.

The new program looks nice though, 25 minutes is great, no breaks is rough. :p

blugbox

Neo Member
Hey guys. I posted my weight loss mini story in that thread, and I started p90x yesterday! It was amazing and hurt in such a good way! Can't wait to stick this out and push hard for some results! A little background... Lost ~60lbs just by changing diet and mainly by cutting sugar. Now it's time to turn this cookie dough into a wood...carving... or something of the sort.

Before: ~230lbs @ 6'0''
ogzhhKl.jpg

After: ~168lbs
BnajGVs.jpg

Day One:
hCF2Zge.jpg

ujYq8Ii.jpg

NC6FqlD.jpg

0AI4KmJ.jpg

4jzZThh.jpg

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Haha, Steve, actually I'd love to be a fitness coach, and I definitely see myself doing that when I get out of the Air Force, in 4 years.
---

Great job blubox. Kept at it and visit this thread frequently.

blugbox

Neo Member
Thanks guys!

Jzero- When I started I didn't think I could stick to it, and sometimes I didn't. But I stuck with it and my taste for sugar disappeared. These days it's amazing to me how empty sugary foods taste. I actually prefer the taste of natural, healthy food. Even now I will occasionally have a diet soda if I really want it, but that "need" for it is virtually gone.

The way I see things now is that I am a pilot. I am in charge of this biological mech suit, and it's the only one I'll ever be assigned. I want to make my mech suit as badass as possible, and in order to do that, I've gotta start maintaining it and modding it. Get the pain and the humanity out of your thinking, break every problem and worry down to the ones and zeroes, and keep grinding.

Treat your every day life like an MMO. If you wanna be a badass high level player, you have to put in the grind.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Do you guys have recommendations for tasty protein drinks after a workout?

I recommend Muscle Milk everytime someone asks for a protein shake. There's a lot of flavors that taste and mix pretty well with milk or water. The orange cream flavor is particularly delicious; tastes like an ice-cream.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
So I started my latest P90X run yesterday (last went through the program last summer/fall). After losing 25 pounds since the beginning of February, and getting back into the groove of working out six days a week, I figured that I was ready.

Chest & Back was up first of course, yesterday. This is the first time that I'll be doing the workouts with a nice set of adjustable weights and a pull-up bar, which, not surprisingly, makes a huge difference. I had used bands in the past, and while they're better than nothing, they just don't compare at all. Of course, I suck at pull-ups, but am determined to get better; using a step stool for now to help myself up. I exceeded my expectations for push-ups, though, which I felt great about.

Today was Plyo X, and while it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, I am certainly not in the same shape I was when I last started the program a year ago! It helped that I had been doing the Master Series leg workout (Plyo Legs, which shares some of the moves) for a while back then, but that's not the case this time around.

I'm really looking forward to the possibilities for myself this time around. My equipment is better than last time, and my diet is better, as I'm not hurting myself with disgustingly absurd cheat days on weekends (which were far beyond being beneficial to me in any kind of metabolism-jarring way, and eventually took their toll). I'm gonna bring it x-like, not x-lax, or something.

blugbox

Neo Member
Guys. GUYS. I did my first plyometrics ever. I cried. I'm a full grown man and I was weeping tears.

But I didn't cry in a corner and finish Max Payne 3 (I'm behind, whatevs)

I cried WHILE BRINGING IT. I didn't keep up-not even close- but I pushed until I simply could go no more.

I feel so alive right now. It's like your body knows when it can finally wake up from the coma it's been in for so long.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
That sounds pretty good. I'll try to get into even better shape and will look into this possibility. I don't want to be a couch who can't still do many pull-ups, lol.

SteeloDMZ, check your private messages.

Actually, people like it when coaches are "normal" like them. They like to see you working hard to get results, too. So I wouldn't worry about looking like Tony or Shaun T or Sagi :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I wish I was just starting P90X plyo. :p I just re-started Insanity (did the whole thing last year) and holy crap it kills you if it's been a while. Like Plyo x100. My legs are still jelly today (done 2 days of Insanity so far) and I'm hoping I can make it through the week of workouts.

Need to get myself ready for Shaun T's new program though!

Plyo is a beast your first time through P90X, butdon't get discouraged. Pretty soon you'll be like me (and others here) wishing you could "just" do Plyo. :p

blugbox

Neo Member
I'm truly loving it very much. It's the hardest work I've ever done and the hardest I've ever pushed my body. But after 27 years of never being able to do this stuff, I'm absolutely pumped!

mehdi_san

You'll definitely gain strength. But the muscles won't grow without enough fuel to make them grow. And you will want to replenish the glycogen with a recovery drink. Beachbody has their Results & Recovery formula, or you can mix their Fuel Shot, Base Shake and Creatine (which is what I do). It'll also help reduce muscle soreness.

I think you'll end up wanting to increase your calories anyway.

Also depending on your equipment some of the workouts may take more than an hour. I have to pause often to change weights. The Bowflex dumbbells are quick to change but with the super & giant sets and drop sets you are often doing another move without much time in between, and if that move is at a different weight it's hard to change the weight fast enough if you don't have individual dumbbells.

Unrelated note -- I will definitely be starting a Focust T25 Challenge Group on Facebook. Who wants in?

Here's a longer video talking about Focus T25. Has behind the scenes and testimonials from folks in the focus group. Can't wait!
Interesting video, really tempted to get this T25 thing now, although I never tried any of Shaun T's other workouts before.
I'm just gonna say this though: I hate everyone in that kind of test group. All of them. Down to 11% body fat in 10 weeks? I'm on my 4th round now (P90X, X2, P90X, X2 again) and I'm nowhere close to that kind of results. I know that I should only blame myself, my diet isn't perfect, but still :(

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hey I just started this on Monday. I finally caved after my boss kept on mentioning it. I'm about 20 lbs overweight. Basically just have a spare tire around my waist.

I've decided to go with the P90X Lean version for my first go round. I believe today is shoulders and arms day. Oh god.

FOOTE

Hey I just started this on Monday. I finally caved after my boss kept on mentioning it. I'm about 20 lbs overweight. Basically just have a spare tire around my waist.

I've decided to go with the P90X Lean version for my first go round. I believe today is shoulders and arms day. Oh god.

Good luck on your journey. Just press play everyday and you'll make it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Sweet, my EZ Curl bar and weight plates arrived!

Well, most of them. Everything was shipped in 3 boxes, and one of the boxes, the one that contains the two 25lb plates, was torn up and only one of the plates was (barely) inside it.

But Beachbody is sending me a replacement. I don't think I'll need the 25lb plates just yet anyway.

Still waiting on my bench. That's set to arrive on Tuesday.

sp3ctr3

Started week 7 today so im almost halfway through? damn! Chest, Shoulder & Triceps... I brought it today and might have hurt my left shoulder from those damn pour flys. I hope it was just gassed, but some of those last shoulder excersises were hard to do as there was just no power left in that left one. Pushups were a lot better this week. First couple of excersises with pushups I could do them all in normal pushup stance, but later on i Had to go to the knees.

I can barely lift my arms up, so I guess that means I gave 100% today. Also the best day of A.R.X. so far. I've had problems with bicycles for a long time with that awful pain in the hip area, but today I was able to power through that. Still have problems with fifer scissors but kept up on mostly everything else. Mason twist, I can do 35 now with a small break in between.

I can't wait to take new pictures on day 60. I think I'm starting to look more fit and it boosts my confidence. I won't sneak peek but would like to see a big surprise in body fat loss.

fingers crossed.

blugbox

Neo Member
Just did my first Shoulders and Arms, and MY GOD it was so therapeutic! It was an incredible workout, mind you, but it cracked and popped every tight joint in my upper body! It felt so amazing to do some slower heavy lifting after all that Plyo.

I'm soooo looking forward to Yoga today.

Just did my first Shoulders and Arms, and MY GOD it was so therapeutic! It was an incredible workout, mind you, but it cracked and popped every tight joint in my upper body! It felt so amazing to do some slower heavy lifting after all that Plyo.

I'm soooo looking forward to Yoga today.

fry.PNG

blugbox

Neo Member
HAHA maybe I will end up eating my words. I thought it sounded like a nice treat compared to the others... I will find out in about three hours!

I actually hurt my calves doing Yoga in the first week...

I took a 10 day rest and then started all over again, now I'm on week 4 and haven't done Yoga since :(

That sucks man. Don't skip Yoga. Its honestly the most beneficial part of P90X.

How did you manage that? Just remember to find your comfort zone in Yoga. Eventually youll be stretching like they do on the video but at the start you'll be as limber as a brick.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I bought P90X this week and am going to buy a pull up bar and weights/resistance bands.

Actually which do you recommend? Resistance bands or a set of 10 pound weights to start?

I'm pretty out of shape, but I'm just going to do my best. I lost 70 pounds a couple years ago but looked like garbage (still a lot of fat on my body). I've since gained quite a bit back, but not nearly what I used to be. I want to take control before it gets worse, and this time I want to do it right with actual muscle exercises.

P90X seemed ideal, though I'm a little worried I won't be fit enough for it.

I bought P90X this week and am going to buy a pull up bar and weights/resistance bands.

Actually which do you recommend? Resistance bands or a set of 10 pound weights to start?

I'm pretty out of shape, but I'm just going to do my best. I lost 70 pounds a couple years ago but looked like garbage (still a lot of fat on my body). I've since gained quite a bit back, but not nearly what I used to be. I want to take control before it gets worse, and this time I want to do it right with actual muscle exercises.

P90X seemed ideal, though I'm a little worried I won't be fit enough for it.

Bands are good. I actually prefer them for some exercises. But you really need a good set of dumbbells. Id recommend some interchangeable ones up to 10kg( 20lbs? ) for starting. They wont break the bank.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the transformation from most taxing workout to best feeling workout Yoga has undergone as my strength and flexibility has improved is genuinely unbelievable.

I just finished my weekly yoga session after the day at work and I feel god damn incredible.

Friday yoga = best yoga

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
In Body Beast you do (at least) 3 weeks of phase 1, the Build Phase. But there are 5 workouts followed by a rest day, so you end up doing all of the workouts 3 times and 3 of the workouts 4 times. For the Chest/Tris and Back/Bis workouts, you have an option of substituting in "Tempo" variants, so I decided to do that today and Sunday (Monday I start phase 2, the Bulk Phase).

Wow. So here's the idea with Tempo sets. You do 15 reps at one weight, 12 reps at a higher weight, and 8 sets at an even higher weight. The twist is that on the 15 rep set, you do a slow 6 count up, slow 6 count down. On the 12 rep set, you do 3 up, 6 down, and on the 8 rep set, you do 3 up, 3 down. And the counts are about a second, maybe a little less.

The moves were chest press, incline chest press, incline fly, skull crushers, and tricep kickbacks (on the kickbacks it's just 3 count up, 3 count down on all sets). In between is a set of core exercises.

It's tough! You really need to use lighter weights because you're spending a lot more time under load.

Anyway great stuff. Not even 3 weeks in and I'm already feeling a difference. This workout's for real.

blugbox

Neo Member
Well I did my first Yoga yesterday, and it was both torturous and amazing at the same time. I kept up as good as possible, and my weakest point is definitely the balance. I'm pretty stiff as of now, but I didn't do near as bad as i thought I would for my first time.

It popped plenty of stiff joints and stretched out all those stiff muscles though, so I absolutely love it (even though it kills) and in general, have ENJOYED exercise for the first time in my life. This simple eating change and P90X have absolutely turned my life around.

NeoGAF is changing lives for the better, in all aspects. That is a very real and awesome thing, and I am so happy to be part of it.

blugbox

Neo Member
Awesome to hear that you are getting into the P90X mindset. How are you liking Tony so far?

Before I started, I figured I would be dead by the end of the first week. I'm there tomorrow, and I feel amazing. Sore, of course, but I've already been looking forward to the exercise while I'm at work. I know it will continue to be the toughest ride I've ever been on, but half of this program is teaching you to step outside your comfort zone (which is what got us all in bad shape anyway lol) and I'm taking quite naturally to it. I am very relieved haha.

I think Tony is a really cool guy. I'm sure it's like this for everyone, but he always seems to make the perfect comment right when you need to hear it, and it's usually right on the money. I really like when someone so fit can still remember all the weaknesses when starting out. It's been a blast so far.

Ixian

Speaking of yoga, I'm nearing the end of my (scheduled) time with DDP Yoga. While I always noticed flexibility improvements when I did my weekly P90X(2) yoga, it's kind of crazy the improvements you see doing it more frequently. I'll probably give some more complete thoughts on it when I'm done (though I plan to repeat it until I can get back into barbell training), but I'd definitely recommend it for anyone looking for a change of pace or if they have something preventing them from doing heavy weight lifting.
I think Tony is a really cool guy. I'm sure it's like this for everyone, but he always seems to make the perfect comment right when you need to hear it, and it's usually right on the money. I really like when someone so fit can still remember all the weaknesses when starting out. It's been a blast so far.
Tony's great, but I promise after you're done your three months you will be tired of a lot of those comments. :)

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Re-started Insanity yesterday.

Kills my quads like nothing else. I also love/hate when you are doing these crazy jumping exercises and all of a sudden you start doing push-ups. I never thought four push-ups could be so hard.

Cardio Recovery tomorrow.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Do you guys have an idea on how I can transform my P90X DVDS into mp3 files? I'd like to do some of the routines at the gym since it has all the equipment needed but also want to keep at the exact same pace as the kids on the videos.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Week 1 of P90X in the books. Rest day. Phew.

I thought that last doing these workouts six months or so ago would've given me a leg up on them — nope! I am sore and tired as hell today, but that's a good thing. I forgot about the "Weekend Ass/Thigh DOMS" thanks to yoga, legs & back and kenpo back-to-back-to-back. I also did about seven miles of walking yesterday.

Not surprisingly, I suck at pull-ups, but I already felt myself getting better when I did them during legs & back compared to chest & back. Just doing one cleanly has me feeling pretty good, ha. The second time around, I learned how to use the chair assist method correctly, which has been helpful (and pretty much necessary to do more than one).

Top Bottom