• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Menaged

Well, my goals are to refine my form. I have belly fat and "love handles" that I'd be happy to get rid of. In addition, I'd like to get into shape since I've been sitting on my ass for the past few years (24 yo). From what I gatherd, insanity seemed to fit the bill, especialy because it requires no equipment and it's quite short.

From what I recall, I wasn't hungry yesterday, but I guess that if I will, I should feel free to a eat some more.

Do you have any insights regarding carbs, proteins etc.?

Thanks for the food compliments :)
I made everything myself bar the meatballs. I take some meat from home every 3-4 weeks, go back to my place (I'm a student) and put it in the freezer.
I'm quite proud of myself that I managed to clean chicken breast and make some antipasti. It's quite simple, but still, it's new territory for me.
I think the fact that I know I'm eating better and making stuff myself automaticaly makes it taste better.

FOOTE

Well, my goals are to refine my form. I have belly fat and "love handles" that I'd be happy to get rid of. In addition, I'd like to get into shape since I've been sitting on my ass for the past few years (24 yo). From what I gatherd, insanity seemed to fit the bill, especialy because it requires no equipment and it's quite short.

From what I recall, I wasn't hungry yesterday, but I guess that if I will, I should feel free to a eat some more.

I made everything myself bar the meatballs. I take some meat from home every 3-4 weeks, go back to my place (I'm a student) and put it in the freezer.
I'm quite proud of myself that I managed to clean chicken breast and make some antipasti. It's quite simple, but still, it's new territory for me.
I think the fact that I know I'm eating better and making stuff myself automaticaly makes it taste better.

Well don't change your formula if you feel good. Listen to you body, eat more as your body needs more to fuel your workouts. It might be odd at first but you eventually will need to eat more to lose fat when you inevitably plateau.

Keyouta

Currently going through Insanity, got one week left, and then I'm thinking of doing the second month over before going into doing Asylum. I just heard of T25 because of this thread, any idea of when it's supposed to come out? It sounds really good!

Edit: Nevermind, Summer. Anyone else looking forward to it?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Your macros look sustainable to me. It doesn't sound like you're looking to lose weight, but just do some recomposition (although I wouldn't be surprised if you do lose some if that's your daily intake throughout insanity).

The bold is basically right on the money, just don't make it Twinkies ;P As FOOTE said, you might find that you need more calories to keep progressing as your body begins to get in shape.

Hey guys, I've been slowly creeping in on this thread and finally decided to post.

To state, I'm about 6'4" and 160 lbs. I'm trying to get in shape, more toned overall than anything, but I literally know NOTHING about working out and whatnot. Absolute, total, beginning. Hell, I didn't even really play sports when I was in school.

I've started going to the gym with my roommate about 3 times a week. Monday's we focus on back and shoulders, Wednesdays we do legs and core, with Fridays being arms and chest. While its not the most intense workout regimen, its something that is slowly allowing my lanky body to get into the groove of things while trying to find the proper routine to really kick my body into shape this summer. I'm trying to focus more on toning my muscles and my abs.

So does anyone have any recommendations as to which of these programs to start? I see some people saying that one should get a weight set, but does anyone have any recommendations for that as well? Like I said, complete newbie here, so I know nothing of weights.

I appreciate any help people can offer and I"m going to sub to this thread in hopes that I can kick my ass into gear this summer. My friends always told me that I could do so relatively fast since I have no fat on my body, but I guess I'm just ready to find out.

Menaged

Thanks for the answers guy, will keep that in mind.
Today is shaping up similiar to yestreday calories-wise, and I was hungry once, but just because I couldn't stop playing Snake Eater :p

After adding a bit of butter and olive oil into "myfitnesspal" I was shocked at the amount of calories. Well, less true for butter, but yikes at olive oil.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Hey guys, I've been slowly creeping in on this thread and finally decided to post.

To state, I'm about 6'4" and 160 lbs. I'm trying to get in shape, more toned overall than anything, but I literally know NOTHING about working out and whatnot. Absolute, total, beginning. Hell, I didn't even really play sports when I was in school.

I've started going to the gym with my roommate about 3 times a week. Monday's we focus on back and shoulders, Wednesdays we do legs and core, with Fridays being arms and chest. While its not the most intense workout regimen, its something that is slowly allowing my lanky body to get into the groove of things while trying to find the proper routine to really kick my body into shape this summer. I'm trying to focus more on toning my muscles and my abs.

So does anyone have any recommendations as to which of these programs to start? I see some people saying that one should get a weight set, but does anyone have any recommendations for that as well? Like I said, complete newbie here, so I know nothing of weights.

I appreciate any help people can offer and I"m going to sub to this thread in hopes that I can kick my ass into gear this summer. My friends always told me that I could do so relatively fast since I have no fat on my body, but I guess I'm just ready to find out.

Don't think twice about it: do Body Beast. Get the dvds, learn the routines and check the form of every move and then do the workouts at the gym you are going. You are also need to eat a goddamn shitload of food to put some weight (I'm talking 4000 or so calories a day).

Doing P90X or Insanity wouldn't be recommendable right now since you are pretty low in weight, and just getting into these programs without knowing what are you doing can make you drop even more weight to the point you'll end up looking like a pogo stick.

So yeah, for right now I'd strongly suggest Beach Body's Body Beast.

thanks a lot for the advice. I never knew how important a diet is when it comes to gaining muscle mass, but I guess it makes sense when you think about it. I guess I should look into what I should be eating and whatnot before hitting the ground running.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Yeah, after a ton of trial and error I've definitely come to the conclusion that pretty much 80% of the results you get from working out depend on your nutrition.

I'm almost the same height as you, but weight more. Right now I gotta eat 3800 a day to put some weight.

Make sure that the foods you buy are lean proteins, tons of egg whites, cottage cheese, protein powders, beans, etc.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, after a ton of trial and error I've definitely come to the conclusion that pretty much 80% of the results you get from working out depend on your nutrition.

I'm almost the same height as you, but weight more. Right now I gotta eat 3800 a day to put some weight.

Make sure that the foods you buy are lean proteins, tons of egg whites, cottage cheese, protein powders, beans, etc.
This might sound like a very fundamental question, but how can you eat that much and not be concerned about it being converted into fat? What's your carb/protein/fat breakdown like? Is a regular workout enough?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
This might sound like a very fundamental question, but how can you eat that much and not be concerned about it being converted into fat? What's your carb/protein/fat breakdown like? Is a regular workout enough?

As far as I know, if your caloric surplus and your macro-nutrients for the day are on the right track, even more if your food is mostly "clean", you shouldn't have to worry about gaining considerable amounts of fat.

IceCold

Caloric deficit + low carb/high fat and boom! You'll lose weight faster than any other diet.

LaneDS

Just did my first P90X workout in months and it almost felt like day one, but am super glad I did it (even if I'm disappointed in how much strength I've lost since doing this stuff regularly). Doing X1 yoga tomorrow and will probably start the cycle properly (I did chest and shoulders today, out of order).

Also decided I'm trying Tony Horton Kitchen for a month, because my biggest issue with eating healthy is being really shitty or lazy about preparing my own healthy meals, so even if it's expensive, I want to see how it goes. Anyone try THK or something similar that could share impressions?

Sordid

I'm borrowing Insanity on Monday after all and I've decided to start it straight away \o/ not going to weigh myself throughout though, just at the start and the end. I think I'll take weekly photos to compare instead, it'll be easier to see progress that way I'd imagine? If I manage to keep at it for the full 60 days I'll post the my before/after pics (if there's any difference :lol)

Wish me luck folks, I think I'll need it!

OchreHand

Also decided I'm trying Tony Horton Kitchen for a month, because my biggest issue with eating healthy is being really shitty or lazy about preparing my own healthy meals, so even if it's expensive, I want to see how it goes. Anyone try THK or something similar that could share impressions?

I've been doing Thrive Foods Direct for about 2 months now. ($28 a day for five days worth of food, 3 meals a day, 100% organic & vegan). I'm not a vegan but my goal this year is to eat as cleanly and healthy as possible. The food is tasty and surprisingly I don't feel deprived since there's no meat. Example menu.

My biggest concern was the lack of protein, but I supplement it with a shake and a protein bar. Also one of the food staples with Thrive Food is quinoa and beans which contain a decent amount of protein.

A major drawback (for me) is that Thrive doesn't list their nutritional breakdown. THK doesn't either, which is annoying since I liked using MyFitnessPal to track everything I eat.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just did my first P90X workout in months and it almost felt like day one, but am super glad I did it (even if I'm disappointed in how much strength I've lost since doing this stuff regularly). Doing X1 yoga tomorrow and will probably start the cycle properly (I did chest and shoulders today, out of order).

Right there with you buddy. Legs and Back done and while my lower body held up better than my upper in the intervening months (and I see slight gains in pull-ups from tuesday, which is nice), I still got my ass handed to me. Mother...fucking...wall squats.

mehdi_san

Don't think twice about it: do Body Beast. Get the dvds, learn the routines and check the form of every move and then do the workouts at the gym you are going. You are also need to eat a goddamn shitload of food to put some weight (I'm talking 4000 or so calories a day).

Doing P90X or Insanity wouldn't be recommendable right now since you are pretty low in weight, and just getting into these programs without knowing what are you doing can make you drop even more weight to the point you'll end up looking like a pogo stick.

So yeah, for right now I'd strongly suggest Beach Body's Body Beast.
On the body beast website, they recommend using a E-Z bar (??) for doing the exercises. Do you think it's also doable with a set of dumbbells?

THK is awesome. Tony doesn't count calories, that's something to keep in mind if you are still counting your marcos. So the food is organic and healthy, he also provides a lot of carbs: quinoa, brown rice, and whole wheat pastas. THK doesn't follow the P90X diet plan at all. Also, I have the vegetarian meal, and it definitely lacks on the protein side.

Overall the food is great. You will get used to learn within limited amount of food but that's always clean and healthy. You will lose weight, because you have to. There is nothing THK uses that's sugary, oily, or fatty.

THK is awesome. Tony doesn't count calories, that's something to keep in mind if you are still counting your marcos. So the food is organic and healthy, he also provides a lot of carbs: quinoa, brown rice, and whole wheat pastas. THK doesn't follow the P90X diet plan at all. Also, I have the vegetarian meal, and it definitely lacks on the protein side.

Overall the food is great. You will get used to learn within limited amount of food but that's always clean and healthy. You will lose weight, because you have to. There is nothing THK uses that's sugary, oily, or fatty.

Everyone who has tried THK seems to love it, I'll try it soon enough.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
On the body beast website, they recommend using a E-Z bar (??) for doing the exercises. Do you think it's also doable with a set of dumbbells?

Yeah, absolutely. The ez bar is great for bent over rows and skull crushers, but you can do every move in BB just with dumbbells. Now, you really need to have many different sets of dumbbells or something like those bowlfex since you are gonna use a lot of variety in weight.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Yeah, absolutely. The ez bar is great for bent over rows and skull crushers, but you can do every move in BB just with dumbbells. Now, you really need to have many different sets of dumbbells or something like those bowlfex since you are gonna use a lot of variety in weight.

There's a lot of rapid-fire weight changes in Body Beast. A full set if dumbbells is expensive, so I'd definitely recommend adjustables. Another option is Craigslist.

You'll need a weight bench. You can do the moves with a stability ball, but you'll be able to move to higher weights with a bench.

I have a set of the Bowflex 552s, which go up to 52.5lbs per dumbbell, an EZ curl bar with plates, and I just got a set of IronMaster Quick-Lock adjustable dumbbells which go up to 75lbs per dumbbell and are expandable. It's handy having two sets of weights available for progressive and drop sets, as well as for supersets where the moves require different weight ranges.

Body Beast is awesome. I've just finished week 4 (which is the first week of the Bulk phase) and am already seeing & feeling results. Taking all the supplements too.

LaneDS

I've been doing Thrive Foods Direct for about 2 months now. ($28 a day for five days worth of food, 3 meals a day, 100% organic & vegan). I'm not a vegan but my goal this year is to eat as cleanly and healthy as possible. The food is tasty and surprisingly I don't feel deprived since there's no meat. Example menu.

My biggest concern was the lack of protein, but I supplement it with a shake and a protein bar. Also one of the food staples with Thrive Food is quinoa and beans which contain a decent amount of protein.

A major drawback (for me) is that Thrive doesn't list their nutritional breakdown. THK doesn't either, which is annoying since I liked using MyFitnessPal to track everything I eat.

Awesome, definitely will look into this one as well. Just doing some sort of healthy prepared meal plan seems like it'll be a good investment (I eat out so regularly I don't think I'd actually be spending too much more).

Right there with you buddy. Legs and Back done and while my lower body held up better than my upper in the intervening months (and I see slight gains in pull-ups from tuesday, which is nice), I still got my ass handed to me. Mother...fucking...wall squats.

Hours after posting that and I am hilariously sore, much like day/week one. I tried to scratch my neck and my hands got about six inches away from my face. Ungood! Will try yoga tomorrow.

Definitely what I'm thinking... has to be a lot better than the junk I've eaten the past five or six months most of the time.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Pheewww. Finally finished logging my food for the day. I think this is what I'll be eating for a month. I was planning to do P90X again next week, but I decided to stay a little longer on Beast, and then I'll do X2 instead.

CDXQQGd.png

oLNXN4N.png

7o7jRNB.png

O.DOGG

During the fall of last year because of a few injuries I had to stop exercising for a couple of months. So in January I decided to measure my body fat percentage, and it was a monstrous 16%. Unacceptable. I cleaned my diet, put together a meal plan with less than 100gr of carbs a day and a about 600 calorie deficit, and I started Insanity which I finished about three weeks ago.

I lost about 8kg (~17 pounds) and now people tell me I look skinny, even though I feel great weighing less. I'm thinking I should probably bulk up a little. My height is 182cm (~5ft 11in) and I weight 72kg (~159 pounds). I would really like to try Body Beast but I don't have a weight bench. I could probably order one but it may take a few weeks before it arrives. I was wondering if I could bulk up on P90X alone. I've done it a few times in previous years and I haven't noticed any difference back then. Of course I wasn't keeping a strict diet plan at the time, so that is probably a factor.

Also, if my calculations are correct, I will need to add another 1000 calories per day and I'm very uneasy about adding more carbs. On top of that I'm a vegetarian, and I barely manage to get up to 150grams of protein a day. It'll definitely be a challenge.
Any advice, GAF? Will P90X work for bulking? Also, any ideas about adding more calories without putting on too much fat are welcome.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Bulking with P90X seems to be possible. The "problem" here is that you are vegetarian, and I think it will be really hard to gain some mass without eating meat and/or eggs. I honestly don't know what to recommend. If you have the extra money to spare, maybe you can order the vegetarian meals from Tony's Horton Kitchen and add them to what you are already eating.

There is a p90x mass schedule you can follow: http://www.beachbody.com/product/p90xnl_011.do

But I disagree with some of his statements: Namely that hypertrophy (building muscle mass) does not result in increased strength. Anyone who gives it passing thought would know how ridiculous that is.

If your goal is to build mass then you have the modify the workouts by eliminating some of the pointless exercises that only result in you overtraining. Perform slow reps at your own pace using heavy weights to maximise the strain on your muscle tissue.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

This is true for visual results (although less true for putting on muscle) but not performance. You're right to point out that people often overlook or underestimate the importance of their diet though, especially when it's often the root cause of their problems ( e.g. over/underweight).

But I disagree with some of his statements: Namely that hypertrophy (building muscle mass) does not result in increased strength. Anyone who gives it passing thought would know how ridiculous that is.

A lot of hypertrophy routines will do more for muscular endurance than strength, which has a large neural component. Not that they do nothing for strength, but if hypertrophy was the way to be strong then bodybuilders would be stronger than weightlifters and powerlifters.

Menaged

Question about heat:
Today was 30+ degrees celsius and I doubt it's gonna get any better.
I felt like it affected my performance, but maybe I just sucked, who knows...
Anyway, is it okay to workout with the AC on, or will I be prone to catch a cold? It was just soooo hot :(

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Question about heat:
Anyway, is it okay to workout with the AC on, or will I be prone to catch a cold? It was just soooo hot :(
It really makes no difference.

So, going through Insanity, anyone recommend Shakeology?

If so, when you do you drink it?
How's the taste and what flavor?

If it's worth it, I'd like to add it to the 2nd month workout.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So, going through Insanity, anyone recommend Shakeology?

If so, when you do you drink it?
How's the taste and what flavor?

If it's worth it, I'd like to add it to the 2nd month workout.

Yes, my wife and I both drink it. I drink mine in the mornings as an addition to my diet, my wife drinks it usually to replace lunch. Delicious and there's a ton of recipes to customize it to your tastes & caloric/macronutrient needs.

PM me and I can get you a sample.

Yes, my wife and I both drink it. I drink mine in the mornings as an addition to my diet, my wife drinks it usually to replace lunch. Delicious and there's a ton of recipes to customize it to your tastes & caloric/macronutrient needs.

PM me and I can get you a sample.

PM sent. Appreciate it! For me, I'd use it as a breakfast replacement.

So when it comes to drinking milk what does everyone recommend? I see Beach Body consider whole milk to be "dodgy" going by the Mischi's Ladder.

However doing a bit of googling and people's opinions seem to be changing on whole milk. New studies and articles now consider whole milk to be healthier and better then skim or semi-skim milk. This mainly comes down to the fact that semi and particularly skim milk is very processed and when they remove the fat you lose most of the nutrients from it. So to compensate they need to place the nutrients back in that are stripped out but it's still not as nutritious.

Also whole milk makes you feel fuller longer which means you are less likely to snack soon afterwards. Also if you're looking to build muscle and put on weight it must be easier with whole milk? I've read it's also great to drink whole milk with protein powder following a workout.

What are people's thoughts?

I'm looking to gain a little bit of weight but don't want to have a pot belly either.. I need to find easy ways to bump my calorie count up.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Milk is kinda controversial. Some hate it (Like Tony or Sagi) because the estrogen and other reasons, while others swear by it (lol gomad).

I think a cup daily wouldn't hurt. Right now I'm drinking an unsweetened almond/coconut milk that tastes awesome and has 0 sugar and 2 carbs.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Question about heat:
Um. Work out with the AC on. Please. Holy crap.
Milk is kinda controversial. Some hate it (Like Tony or Sagi) because the estrogen and other reasons, while others swear by it (lol gomad).

I think a cup daily wouldn't hurt. Right now I'm drinking an unsweetened almond/coconut milk that tastes awesome and has 0 sugar and 2 carbs.
Almond/coconut milk does not contain any estrogen (not implying that you didn't know this, but just for anyone reading who might be confused). It's quite a misnomer to call it milk actually. On the other hand hooooly crap is it delicious. I definitely recommend either, or the delicious blend you're referring to.

Cow's milk is generally not all that great for you. I'd recommend it over soy milk for the most part but not really over any other alternative.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Will be posting in here everyday for my insanity workouts. Keep me on track GAF! Weigh 166.4 at five nine. Lets see where this takes me.

Top Bottom