• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Sordid

Dat fitness test... my numbers weren't too far behind the 2 people in the video for the first few exercises and thought I was doing well. About half way through I fell apart and I was dying by the end, I could hardly feel my legs and I felt awful for a wee while after I'd finished.

I'm feeling pretty good now though, I just hope I keep myself motivated for the full 60 days!

Dat fitness test... my numbers weren't too far behind the 2 people in the video for the first few exercises and thought I was doing well. About half way through I fell apart and I was dying by the end, I could hardly feel my legs and I felt awful for a wee while after I'd finished.

I'm feeling pretty good now though, I just hope I keep myself motivated for the full 60 days!

Tanya's numbers are bonkers.

Fuck, I need some motivation GAF. I did 3 weeks of P90, and then I slacked off because I started getting to bed as well as waking up later (work related.) I was enjoying it when I was doing it, I just need a kick in the ass to get started again tomorrow.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm not sure what workouts to do this week. I really need T-25 to come out.

I started doing some more Insanity but I found that I'm burnt out on it. I like the workouts in it that you don't repeat moves in, but the first month is basically the same 3 workouts repeated over and over and only one of them (pure cardio) is one in which you never repeat a move.

Hmm, maybe I should just do pure cardio all the time. Maybe mix pure cardio with P90X plyo or something. Add kenpo in.

KingGondo

Banned
I'm not sure what workouts to do this week. I really need T-25 to come out.

I started doing some more Insanity but I found that I'm burnt out on it. I like the workouts in it that you don't repeat moves in, but the first month is basically the same 3 workouts repeated over and over and only one of them (pure cardio) is one in which you never repeat a move.

Hmm, maybe I should just do pure cardio all the time. Maybe mix pure cardio with P90X plyo or something. Add kenpo in.
I enjoy Plyocide as well. Worth a go if you haven't tried it.

LaneDS

I have t-rex arms after chest & shoulders on Saturday and yoga yesterday... super sore. Ate a bunch of carbs for lunch so I'll be doing chest & back tonight and starting X1 again properly, as close as I'm able.

blackflag

But I disagree with some of his statements: Namely that hypertrophy (building muscle mass) does not result in increased strength. Anyone who gives it passing thought would know how ridiculous that is.

If you are super weak, it may increase strength some but not much. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy recruits different muscle fibers.

Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy (typical higher rep bodybuilding routine) grows sarcoplasm which doesn't contribute to strength production.

Myofibrillar hypertrophy (very heavy, low rep) increases sarcomeres inside of the cell which increases strength and size though less size than sarcoplasmic.

Functional muscle vs. non functional muscle basically. At least where strength is concerned. There are also CNS differences with Myofibrillar hypertrophy that contribute to strength.

FOOTE

Any one here have a long commute to work? Mine might double at the beginning of June to 50 minutes. Do you workout in the mornings or at night after work? I've done my work outs early before so I know how that feels. Sometimes I prefer to get them over with but I've been doing them after work lately and I seem to do quite a bit better in the evenings.

What do you guys think?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Any one here have a long commute to work? Mine might double at the beginning of June to 50 minutes. Do you workout in the mornings or at night after work? I've done my work outs early before so I know how that feels. Sometimes I prefer to get them over with but I've been doing them after work lately and I seem to do quite a bit better in the evenings.

What do you guys think?

Mornings suck I do it after work. I have a 40 minute commute.

KingGondo

Banned
I have, Should I just mix and match Workouts from the other programs Until T25? What would be A good 4 day schedule?
I don't see any harm in just picking your favorite workouts that work a variety of areas. My go-to workouts are Core Syn, Ch Sh Tri,, Legs and Back, and Plyo.

Most of the people who have been doing these workouts for a while can pretty safely pick their favorites and still make progress.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

What do you guys think?

My commute's about an hour each way, sometimes as much as 1:15, sometimes a bit less. I have two route alternates so if the traffic's bad on the freeway I can go back roads, and if the freeway's clear I'll take that because it's faster with no traffic than the back roads.

I prefer to workout in the morning before my wife & son get up. Then I have no distractions & no excuses.

FOOTE

Mornings suck I do it after work. I have a 40 minute commute.

My commute's about an hour each way, sometimes as much as 1:15, sometimes a bit less. I have two route alternates so if the traffic's bad on the freeway I can go back roads, and if the freeway's clear I'll take that because it's faster with no traffic than the back roads.

I prefer to workout in the morning before my wife & son get up. Then I have no distractions & no excuses.

Thanks guys. Going to mull over it some more. I'm thinking mornings though. Night are going to get even more crazy if it happens.

Steve, I've been meaning to switch over my BB coach to you for if/when I buy something from BB. I just always forget when I have the opportunity.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'd have to get up at like 4:50 in order to work out in the AM and that's not happening. :p

I don't see any harm in just picking your favorite workouts that work a variety of areas. My go-to workouts are Core Syn, Ch Sh Tri,, Legs and Back, and Plyo.

Most of the people who have been doing these workouts for a while can pretty safely pick their favorites and still make progress.

Yeah, I just need to think of 4 workouts across all the programs that would hit most areas and keep me going.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Double, but what if I do this for workouts each week:

Monday: P90X1 Chest & Back
Tuesday: P90X2 Plyocide
Wednesday: P90X2 Total Body
Thursday or Friday: Insanity Pure Cardio
Weekend (if time): Kenpo or X2 Yoga

That seem well rounded? I'm worried I don't have enough leg stuff, but Plyocide and Cardio are some legs.

burnfout

This tread motivated me to start again. I haven't done a single P90X workout in 2013 :(

Just did Chest and Back from X1. Not bad at all, I could do 8 Diamond Pushups still.

Now I need to keep doing it semi-regularly again.

Korosenai

Will be posting in here everyday for my insanity workouts. Keep me on track GAF! Weigh 166.4 at five nine. Lets see where this takes me.
I just finished my 4th day (Pure Cardio) and its a blast so far.

I didnt do the fit test because I wanted to get right into it, but ill probably do it soon.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I just finished my 4th day (Pure Cardio) and its a blast so far.

I didnt do the fit test because I wanted to get right into it, but ill probably do it soon.
I was watching the fit test last night. It's definite the best gauge of your abilities and progress in the program. I'd stick to the schedule.

KingGondo

Banned
Double, but what if I do this for workouts each week:

Monday: P90X1 Chest & Back
Tuesday: P90X2 Plyocide
Wednesday: P90X2 Total Body
Thursday or Friday: Insanity Pure Cardio
Weekend (if time): Kenpo or X2 Yoga

That seem well rounded? I'm worried I don't have enough leg stuff, but Plyocide and Cardio are some legs.
I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, it's all dependent on what your goals are.

I'd personally want to have a shoulder workout in there, but that's just me.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
My left shoulder has been bugging me for a couple weeks now. I haven't increased my weight during the BB chest workout because doing stuff like flies or the inclined bench press hurts.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, it's all dependent on what your goals are.

I'd personally want to have a shoulder workout in there, but that's just me.

Yeah, my main goal is cardio to lose some belly fat still. I want to make sure I get some all around stuff in there though, so certain muscles don't go to waste.

If that makes sense. Maybe I should just go all cardio?

Korosenai

I was watching the fit test last night. It's definite the best gauge of your abilities and progress in the program. I'd stick to the schedule.

Instead of doing the rest day this week i'll do the Fit Test, and then the rest day the day after.

I just skimmed through it as well and it definitely seems good to do. I didn't realize it was a 30 minute long workout. I thougt it would just be like 5 minutes of pushups, situps, etc. to see how many you can do.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Instead of doing the rest day this week i'll do the Fit Test, and then the rest day the day after.

I just skimmed through it as well and it definitely seems good to do. I didn't realize it was a 30 minute long workout. I thougt it would just be like 5 minutes of pushups, situps, etc. to see how many you can do.
This is insanity nub, INSANITY.

Menaged

When I did the fit test I didn't manage to keep count, since I was too busy on staying alive.

Anyway, fuck pure cardio. Shit is intense.
It was my second time doing it, and I have a love \ hate relationship with it.
I felt amazing after finishing it today, since I felt I dug really dip, and did much better than the first time.
I know it may sound funny, but now I also manage to do the warm up flawlessly, at the same pace they're doing it.
Had some chicken breast and oven baked veg. after. Feels good :)

One last thing: you guys think it's ok to do the exercises while wearing socks? I have no idea why, but I'm constantly slipping in my sport shoes, but it's fine with socks. My friend told me it may be bad for my knees.

Korosenai

This is insanity nub, INSANITY.
I should have known lol

When I did the fit test I didn't manage to keep count, since I was too busy on staying alive.

Anyway, fuck pure cardio. Shit is intense.
It was my second time doing it, and I have a love hate relationship with it.
I felt amazing after finishing it today, since I felt I dug really dip, and did much better than the first time.
I know it may sound funny, but now I also manage to do the warm up flawlessly, at the same pace they're doing it.
Had some chicken breast and oven baked veg. after. Feels good :)
I did Pure Cardio for the first time today and it was a blast. Yea it hurt, but I enjoyed it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Fuck cardio. Increase the rep count for all exercises :)

Got to lose the remaining love handles! Also I gained a pound or two in the past few weeks due to visiting friends and my bday.

Pure Cardio is my favorite Insanity workout because you never repeat a move. I feel I go harder when I know this is the only time I have to do the current move. The other workouts suck because you get through one round and have two left with the exact same moves.

GAF, either the Spurs need to sweep the Lakers more often, the fact spring finally hit Michigan, or P90X2 has really pushed me into the best physical shape in my life, because I just crushed my best running performance ever. 7 miles in 47 minutes and 41 seconds. Never thought I'd be able to do that well running wise.

LaneDS

Guuhhhhhh this green apple MP assault is so disgusting.

You and I are in the same time machine I think (edit: RASPBERRY LEMONADE (fruit punch is horrid) is the only sort of acceptable one!)

Just finished chest & back X1. Good lord. Was so sore from the last two days after months and months off that my numbers were pathetic but I stuck with it (opted out of ab ripper for now). I will get back to the shape I was in last October and exceed that point this year (by this October).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You and I are in the same time machine I think (edit: RASPBERRY LEMONADE (fruit punch is horrid) is the only sort of acceptable one!)

Just finished chest & back X1. Good lord. Was so sore from the last two days after months and months off that my numbers were pathetic but I stuck with it (opted out of ab ripper for now). I will get back to the shape I was in last October and exceed that point this year (by this October).
Dude. EXACT same time machine. Few more scoops and I can open that comparatively glorious raspbery lemonade.... "mmmmm." Stick with this thread, pelase. I can tell you will be the best motivation I can hope for. I pledge to the same goal; by October, I'll beat my previous personal bests. :D

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Man, I love Chest & Back. Just finished a session. I always look forward to it, unlike some of the workouts. Unfortunately, won't be doing it again for about a month now. :(

SteeloDMZ

Banned
GAF, either the Spurs need to sweep the Lakers more often, the fact spring finally hit Michigan, or P90X2 has really pushed me into the best physical shape in my life, because I just crushed my best running performance ever. 7 miles in 47 minutes and 41 seconds. Never thought I'd be able to do that well running wise.

X2 really turns you into a badass.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Decided to run today instead. It's 80 degrees today, but it's supposed to be 38 and possibly snow Friday, then be 75 again Monday. Iowa weather, wtf.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Cross posting from drunk thread

it's not wonder this shit works. 6 days of this IS certifiably insane. Reminds me of my tae Kwon do competition training back in the day.

Here are my numbers (they're pretty pathetic aside from the push up jacks which I should excel in):

6 (24)

I didn't bother naming them...didn't have time lol.

LaneDS

Dude. EXACT same time machine. Few more scoops and I can open that comparatively glorious raspbery lemonade.... "mmmmm." Stick with this thread, pelase. I can tell you will be the best motivation I can hope for. I pledge to the same goal; by October, I'll beat my previous personal bests. :D

You got it man. Let's set some concrete goals for October and a few decided upon dates in between, and then hit them.

Man, I love Chest & Back. Just finished a session. I always look forward to it, unlike some of the workouts. Unfortunately, won't be doing it again for about a month now. :(

Next week I will hopefully not have mega sore triceps and will enjoy it again too!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I've stopped drinking a pre-workout drink, at least for Body Beast. In the "Book of Beast" they talk about this. The idea is that you should work out on an empty stomach. If you consume carbs pre-workout then your body will use that for fuel. But if you don't, your muscles will use the glycogen that's available. Then you drink a recovery drink afterwards with the proper carbs/protein ratio to replenish the glycogen that was used.

This supposedly promotes optimal muscle growth.

They do say that if you have a tendency to run out of gas you can drink a small amount of water with Fuel Shot pre-workout or sip at some during your workout. But I've been just doing without.

It's interesting (and confusing) how many differing schools of thought there are on this. But for me this seems to be working.

LaneDS

What do folks like to do when things like plyo or Insanity aren't a good fit for their normal workout areas? I feel too guilty at my current place jumping around loudly for 30-60 minutes, so I think I'm just going to aim for 45-60 minutes of moderate to heavy cardiovascular work on treadmills, ellipticals, or bikes on my plyo days. I recall legs & back X1 being pretty "stompy" too but I will probably do that at home anyway.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
That Beast Bulk Legs is seriously the hardest shit ever. For those who haven't done it imagine the exhaustion and pain from P90X Legs and Plyometrics combined
and then multiply it by 5

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
That Beast Bulk Legs is seriously the hardest shit ever. For those who haven't done it imagine the exhaustion and pair from P90X Legs and Plyometrics combined

At least it doesn't have the step-up to reverse lunge move that Build: Legs has. That's a *tough* move. Bulk: Legs is hard but I think Build: Legs is a little harder because of that.

LaneDS

That Beast Bulk Legs is seriously the hardest shit ever. For those who haven't done it imagine the exhaustion and pain from P90X Legs and Plyometrics combined

What kinds of moves does it have? Does it involve a lot of (or any) jumping?

Top Bottom