• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

LaneDS

There is really no jumping in BB at all. Sagi's feet are never off the ground more than 1/16 of an inch. He looks so silly when jogging in place.

So would this be worth looking into in my situation where I can't jump around my apartment but still want the benefit that things like plyometrics/cide, Insanity, or even legs & back provides? I've mostly ignored Body Beast but everyone seems to like it a lot minus the guy who leads it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So would this be worth looking into in my situation where I can't jump around my apartment but still want the benefit that things like plyometrics/cide, Insanity, or even legs & back provides? I've mostly ignored Body Beast but everyone seems to like it a lot minus the guy who leads it.

Body Beast is really, really good. REALLY good.

There is a small amount of jumping in Beast Cardio. There's a squat jump move, and plyometric lunges. But they're slower & controlled. It's not like you're trying to do 120 power jumps in 90 seconds like Insanity.

Aside from that and Cardio Abs, *everything* is weight lifting & bodyweight moves.

In fact, when T25 comes out I'm planning to do a second round of Body Beast in addition to T25.

As far as Sagi goes, just ignore or laugh off the "Beastisms" and pay attention to his form & the corrections to form that he gives the guys doing the workouts. And substitute "Spelling The Beast" with Fifer Scissors or an ab move that's actually effective :)

First 2 weeks of insanity complete. Rest day today.

Looking forward to see how we improve our fitness test numbers.

Honestly, I'm not too concerned if the numbers go up a lot but I want better form throughout the tests.

Did cardio abs last night for the first time. Complete disaster.

LaneDS

Body Beast is really, really good. REALLY good.

There is a small amount of jumping in Beast Cardio. There's a squat jump move, and plyometric lunges. But they're slower & controlled. It's not like you're trying to do 120 power jumps in 90 seconds like Insanity.

Aside from that and Cardio Abs, *everything* is weight lifting & bodyweight moves.

In fact, when T25 comes out I'm planning to do a second round of Body Beast in addition to T25.

As far as Sagi goes, just ignore or laugh off the "Beastisms" and pay attention to his form & the corrections to form that he gives the guys doing the workouts. And substitute "Spelling The Beast" with Fifer Scissors or an ab move that's actually effective :)

I'll have to look more closely into it, and what it requires. I'm assuming I can steer clear of the ridiculous calorie counts? I don't want to get, uh, "beastly" so I want to keep a relatively normal, healthy diet.

I also hear T25 mentioned a lot since coming back to the thread but haven't taken the time to see what that is (just heard that it has Shaun T).

My lease is up mid-August, and I'll be for sure moving into a place I can work out without worrying about disturbing others. Looking forward to that.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'll have to look more closely into it, and what it requires. I'm assuming I can steer clear of the ridiculous calorie counts? I don't want to get, uh, "beastly" so I want to keep a relatively normal, healthy diet.

I also hear T25 mentioned a lot since coming back to the thread but haven't taken the time to see what that is (just heard that it has Shaun T).

My lease is up mid-August, and I'll be for sure moving into a place I can work out without worrying about disturbing others. Looking forward to that.

Here's a T25 promo video with testimonials from the focus group: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfi80Wf29_M

You can do Body Beast without all the calories. You'll get stronger, you just won't build as much mass. They only "guarantee" 10lbs of muscle mass if you follow the diet plan & take the supplements.

A couple things though. For Body Beast the minimum equipment is dumbbells and a stability ball. But you really, really want a weight bench, especially if you're going to be increasing weight. Also, you'll want either a comprehensive set of dumbbells or adjustable ones. Some of the sets move very quickly and so you want to be able to change weights quickly. I have two sets of adjustable dumbbells and two EZ curl bars and I -still- have to pause the video every once in a while to change weights.

LaneDS

Here's a T25 promo video with testimonials from the focus group: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfi80Wf29_M

You can do Body Beast without all the calories. You'll get stronger, you just won't build as much mass. They only "guarantee" 10lbs of muscle mass if you follow the diet plan & take the supplements.

A couple things though. For Body Beast the minimum equipment is dumbbells and a stability ball. But you really, really want a weight bench, especially if you're going to be increasing weight. Also, you'll want either a comprehensive set of dumbbells or adjustable ones. Some of the sets move very quickly and so you want to be able to change weights quickly. I have two sets of adjustable dumbbells and two EZ curl bars and I -still- have to pause the video every once in a while to change weights.

Awesome, thank you Steve. I have all of the above (Powerblocks, which were totally worth the cost) minus the weight bench but considering I have a giant free standing pull up bar in my living room, a bench seems easy enough to justify... anyone have a recommendation on one? If it folds up, even better.

Will check out that promo video when I get home from work tonight.

FOOTE

That Beast Bulk Legs is seriously the hardest shit ever. For those who haven't done it imagine the exhaustion and pain from P90X Legs and Plyometrics combined
and then multiply it by 5

I dunno. Build legs is bloody hard. Those damned Bulgarian squats wreck me.

Odinson

Just finished my last game day/overtime workout. Still have speed and agility and vertical plyo…oh how I hate thee...and one more before I'm done with my first time through asylum. It's been a lot of fun actually. It was something fresh after doing two rounds of insanity and some P90 I got bored. Excited to see what T25 has to offer.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Just finished my last game day/overtime workout. Still have speed and agility and vertical plyo…oh how I hate thee...and one more before I'm done with my first time through asylum. It's been a lot of fun actually. It was something fresh after doing two rounds of insanity and some P90 I got bored. Excited to see what T25 has to offer.

It was so weird that Asylum didn't end on Game Day/Overtime. Kind of an odd denouement.

Congrats though! You have time to do Asylum Volume 2 before T25 comes out ;-)

FOOTE

Shawn T is looking a lot slimmer. T25 looks good.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
First 2 weeks of insanity complete. Rest day today.

Looking forward to see how we improve our fitness test numbers.

Honestly, I'm not too concerned if the numbers go up a lot but I want better form throughout the tests.

Seeing any improvements aesthetically?

Seeing any improvements aesthetically?

Yep! Lost fat all around, posture is correct when walking/standing/driving/sitting. lost a couple of inches around the belly also.

In month 2, I'm going to step up the diet piece also to really maximize month 2 gains.

The only thing I've done close to this level of results is boxing but you certainly get injuries from that (impact).

Red

I'm going into my second round of p90x. I wanted to start again in early April but had no time. Which causes me to ask, what do you guys do when schedules get in the way? In general I can afford to do it, but like today I had my car break down after work and then had to go to a doctor, so I didn't get home til late. It would've been arms and shoulders day. If y'all miss a day, do you pick up where you missed (ie arms and shoulders), considering the missed day rest day, or do you skip that workout and keep to the schedule (yoga x). I ask because I personally don't like shifting days... I like keeping each workout in its place for the entirety of the program. But at the same time I feel guilty about losing a day.

It just sucks having this push-pull thing going on between working out and sleeping, like you're trading one for the other. Most days are okay, but when you run into a schedule conflict, you feel like shit. At least I do.

I always felt guilty about missing workouts, but since keeping on p90 it's been much worse. I don't know if it's just because it's a more structured program or what. I really hate not keeping up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If y'all miss a day, do you pick up where you missed (ie arms and shoulders), considering the missed day rest day, or do you skip that workout and keep to the schedule (yoga x).
Depends on the workout.
Generally speaking, if I miss a resistance workout, I do it the next day either in place of or on top of an abriged version of that day's actual workout. If I miss Yoga or what have you, I just stick to the schedule and do the "correct" workout the next day.

LaneDS

So still mega sore after the following return to P90X/X2 schedule:

Sat: X1 Chest & Shoulders
Sun: X1 Yoga
Mon: X1 Chest & Back
Tues: 45 min cardio

Today I'd normally do day three of phase 1, which is X1 chest & shoulders, but since I did it on Saturday and am still sore I think I might sub in another workout from X1 or X2 and am welcoming suggestions.

Feels awesome (and uh sore) to be doing this again. Thanks again to BM for encouraging me to return to the fold (aka this thread).

Korosenai

Finished my first week of Insanity. It's really working for me so far, because i've already lost a pound. Went from 176.6 to 175.6.

Also, Fit Test results:

Switch Kicks - 111

Power Jacks - 35

Power Knees - Left 76 / Right 74 (I don't like working out just one side and not the other, so I went ahead and did both knees)

Power Jumps - 35

Globe Jumps - 10

Suicide Jumps - 14

Push Up Jacks - 19

Low Plank Oblique - 37

I looked at the calendar and noticed you're supposed to do the fit test 5 times total, so hopefully ill be able to increase everything by 5 reps each time. That's my goal at least. anyways. One thing i'm gonna focus on is my left strength for squats and upper body strength for push ups. The Power Jumps and Push Up Jacks almost killed me.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Feels awesome (and uh sore) to be doing this again. Thanks again to BM for encouraging me to return to the fold (aka this thread).

*brofist* Glad you're back :)

Finished my first week of Insanity. It's really working for me so far, because i've already lost a pound. Went from 176.6 to 175.6.

Also, Fit Test results:

Switch Kicks - 111

Power Jacks - 35

Power Knees - Left 76 / Right 74 (I don't like working out just one side and not the other, so I went ahead and did both knees)

Power Jumps - 35

Globe Jumps - 10

Suicide Jumps - 14

Push Up Jacks - 19

Low Plank Oblique - 37

I looked at the calendar and noticed you're supposed to do the fit test 5 times total, so hopefully ill be able to increase everything by 5 reps each time. That's my goal at least. anyways. One thing i'm gonna focus on is my left strength for squats and upper body strength for push ups. The Power Jumps and Push Up Jacks almost killed me.

Nice! I did the same thing -- switched knees about halfway through the Power Knees.

Korosenai

Nice! I did the same thing -- switched knees about halfway through the Power Knees.

Next time that's what i'm gonna do. I thought we were gonna do one side then the other for one minute a piece, so I stuck with the left knee for a minute. Saw that we weren't gonna do the right knee so I just paused the workout and did the right knee for a minute. Next time i'm just gonna do 30 seconds each side though.

Lucius86

Banned

Heh, I was the same after my first cardio abs, and later insane abs in month 2. They are tough if you're not used to them.

Doing around 3-4 insanities a week atm after completing the workout - I am the fittest I have ever been, but they just take too much time to do :(

Fritz

So I am in week 7 of P90X. Two things I am still struggeling with too much for my liking:

Pull ups and scissors. They drive me crazy. Albeit there is still progress but god damn is it slow.

sp3ctr3

Phase 2 complete. Day 60 is this sunday, so I will be posting new pictures. I really can't see any difference, but I feel that my t-shirts are tighter and my pants are looser. My tightest pants, which I couldn't even button when I started are so loose now that they drop to my ankles if I stand up tall and jiggle.

So stuff is definitely changing :)

I really REALLY like core synergetics now. Core Syn in phase 1 was a frustrating nightmare as my form was shit and I couldn't do anything right. In phase 2 I had more strenght and my form was good. And when the form is good, MY GOD, do you feel the burn.

favorite excersise so far is Back & Biceps. That godly pump, it's intoxicating.

I see that Phase 3 is all the good stuff, so I can't wait to get started. I readjusted my diet and will cut some milk for my meals, all bread and sub the protein bar with another shake to get the carbs down. GAF says Phase 3 is the money, so I will bring it.

When I reach day 90 I think I will just do Phase 3 over again. Maybe a Phase 2 recovery week in between? Has anyone done this? I built myself to be able to do Phase 3, so why go back to Phase 1?

big_z

C-sit position kills my tail bone. I've tried putting a folded up shirt under but it still hurts like a bitch. Suggestions?

I actually love power jumps. I hate v push-ups which is Ironic because I love push-ups ={

I'd trade with you any day. Every year it feels like my knees get closer to just exploding one day.

C-sit position kills my tail bone. I've tried putting a folded up shirt under but it still hurts like a bitch. Suggestions?

Look into getting a yoga mat. Fairly cheap and worth the invesent. In the meantime use a sandal/flip flop.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'd trade with you any day. Every year it feels like my knees get closer to just exploding one day.

Look into getting a yoga mat. Fairly cheap and worth the invesent. In the meantime use a sandal/flip flop.
Baha I need to look out for that. Bad knees runs in my family. Ironic for a family of runners ={

Menaged

Cardio power and resistance was...interesting. Day 3 done.

I have no idea how fit you are, but it's amazing how fast you improve.
I'll finish week 2 tomorrow, and did cardio power for the 3rd time today, and it was definitely my best. It doesn't get easy per se, but it feels so much better.

I just hope I'll see results in the end. Maybe it's already happening but I just don't see it.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I have no idea how fit you are, but it's amazing how fast you improve.
I'll finish week 2 tomorrow, and did cardio power for the 3rd time today, and it was definitely my best. It doesn't get easy per se, but it feels so much better.

I just hope I'll see results in the end. Maybe it's already happening but I just don't see it.
I'm alright. Not overweight or anything but easily winded. Cardio is definitely my weakness, however I try to make it through each circuit without breaks. That's rather difficult right now but I'm going to keep punishing. About to start day 4

LaneDS

Did X1 shoulders & arms last night and can actually move my arms (mostly!) today, hooray!

Doing X2 yoga tonight, X1 legs & back tomorrow, and probably X1 yoga on Saturday with my first rest day on Sunday (worked out Sat/Sun last weekend). Already feel a lot better, slightly slimmer (scale going up, but I already know from last year that's muscle and I'm totally cool with it).

I don't think I'll do a full X1 rotation like I had intended, because after knowing how great X2 was I don't want to wait another 80+ days to try it again.

I want to start Insanity but i'm not sure if I can follow the nutritional plan. I'm 5 foot 6 and weigh around 140 pounds. What sort of results can I expect?

So I am in week 7 of P90X. Two things I am still struggeling with too much for my liking:

Pull ups and scissors. They drive me crazy. Albeit there is still progress but god damn is it slow.

Add in negatives on those pull-ups...hell even increasing the entire pull-up by just one repetition is far more than most people can do!

Korosenai

I want to start Insanity but i'm not sure if I can follow the nutritional plan. I'm 5 foot 6 and weigh around 140 pounds. What sort of results can I expect?
Following the nutritional plan will definitely help with the results, but you should be fine as long as you actually workout and stick to the calendar. I don't eat very healthy, a lot of fast food, but I'm still losing good weight and seeing some good muscle gains. Also, the best thing you can do nutritional wise IMO is cut out sodas and drink nothing but water.

Van Owen

Banned
I've been struggling to get 8 hours of sleep at night since my schedule is so messed up. Usually nap after work then hit the gym around 10pm.

Now that its been getting Warner I've been trying to workout at 5:30am to get a more regular sleep schedule, but we got fucking snow storm in May which threw me off. :(

It's just a lot easier to get out the door in the morning when you only have to throw on a tshirt and not deal with snowy streets.

LaneDS

I want to gain some definition and a bit of muscle. I have no plans to bulk up.

As mentioned above, I wouldn't recommend Insanity given that particular goal. It is an absolute monster at boosting cardiovascular health and losing weight (and you will gain muscle, for sure), but I think P90X (followed by X2) is a much better fit for you and your goal.

Trying to decide what will be a better fit for me...

Currently my bedroom is on the small side so even being able to utilize a balance ball will result in me hitting something. Aside from that, I have hour-long commutes to/from work so time (which I can make) is another thing to consider.

Fitness-wise, I'm quite able-bodied and enjoy doing mud runs for fun with my friend but of course I'm looking to lose weight & define my body a bit.

P90 looks like a good option but I don't know if it's worth it to go to P90X instead. Also T-25 is appealing as well though I like the fact that Insanity doesn't use anything (I do own a yoga mat & balance ball though).

So suggestions please & thanks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just finished Week 2 Shoulders & Arms myself. My numbers are still pathetic but I can feel my body adjusting to the new demands rather than just screaming in agony. I made it though the bonus round without issue (although looking at my old Side Tri Rise numbers... how in the fuck?) which I could not do last week. Basically I need to focus on these small victories, like I did in my first cycle ever, rather than getting discouraged by my lost progress.

Speaking of which, if any of you notice me going more than 48 hours without commenting in this thread for the next couple months, please PM me in an accusatory manner.
Do you have room/a compatible doorframe for a pull-up bar? How are you for free weights?

Trying to decide what will be a better fit for me...

Currently my bedroom is on the small side so even being able to utilize a balance ball will result in me hitting something. Aside from that, I have hour-long commutes to/from work so time (which I can make) is another thing to consider.

Fitness-wise, I'm quite able-bodied and enjoy doing mud runs for fun with my friend but of course I'm looking to lose weight & define my body a bit.

P90 looks like a good option but I don't know if it's worth it to go to P90X instead. Also T-25 is appealing as well though I like the fact that Insanity doesn't use anything (I do own a yoga mat & balance ball though).

Losing weight = cut your calories. Lift heavy. P90X is more conditioning training compared to strength training. I've noticed more gains with heavier strength training and doing some cardio days, but the eating must be kept in check to get those coveted 6-pack abs if that's what you're aiming for.

Losing weight = cut your calories. Lift heavy. P90X is more conditioning training compared to strength training. I've noticed more gains with heavier strength training and doing some cardio days, but the eating must be kept in check to get those coveted 6-pack abs if that's what you're aiming for.

Lucky for me, spring/summer is when I have probably the smallest of appetites so I could easily cut back on the calories for sure. I should be a lot stricter than currently am though so probably following through with a tracker is probably going to benefit me.

And 6-pack? I'm not sure I'm aiming for that much definition to be honest.

Did my 2nd fitness test last night (Day 1 of week 3).

I actually started off cautious because I felt the warm up wasn't enough and I was very dry and tight.

Then I loosened up and improved in all areas. More importantly, my form was vastly improved over the first test, which to me is just as important as a numbers gain.

I'm looking forward to a hard workout tonight and tomorrow as I feel quite received and starting to feel a bit guilty :( I'm sure that'll change quickly....

Top Bottom