• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

The only thing that makes me scared about insanity is the possibility of injuring myself.

I hear ya, I thought the same thing during my first go through. Good shoes and proper form will keep you safe. Don't try to stay with the group, go at your own pace while keeping your heart rate in a good zone.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I hear ya, I thought the same thing during my first go through. Good shoes and proper form will keep you safe. Don't try to stay with the group, go at your own pace.

You want to have shoes that have good lateral support & cushioning. So court or crossfit shoes are really good for Insanity.

When I did Insanity I used Nike Freerunners running shoes, and the lateral support was not good (after all they're running shoes). For Asylum I bought Reebok CrossFit Nano 2.0s (which it turns out Shaun T is using right now) and they've served me well through Asylum, P90X2, Les Mills Combat and now Body Beast.

I twisted my ankle towards the end of Insanity doing switch kicks -- I had less room in my workout area then and drifted backwards into my couch. Wasn't too bad, I put some ice on it & wrapped it up during my workouts for the next few weeks. I also tweaked my knee at one point & worked with it wrapped as well.

I didn't injure myself during Asylum. (For me, P90X came between Insanity and Asylum) but I did injure my back not far into P90X2 and was out for a couple weeks due to that.

Injuries suck. But they're almost always because your form is bad. The lesson to learn is not to push yourself on exercises until you're sure you've got the form down, and if your form starts falling apart as you're doing the exercise it's time to stop & take a quick break or drop the weights.

FOOTE

Ordered a weight vest. I told myself long ago that if I ever make it to 20 pull-ups per set that it would be time. I'm also going to 35- 40 on quite a few push up sets without failing during the workouts so I think I need something for sure. Going to add the vest to the routines and see how it affects me.

30lbs

Any one here using a pull-up frame? My old iron man door frame one won't work in the house I'm moving to next month. Suggestions? Bands aren't an option, I refuse to use them like that.

Edit Forgot to mention that I'm doing a cut this month. Preping for my vacation coming up next month.

LaneDS

Ordered a weight vest. I told myself long ago that if I ever make it to 20 pull-ups per set that it would be time. I'm also going to 35- 40 on quite a few push up sets without failing during the workouts so I think I need something for sure. Going to add the vest to the routines and see how it affects me.

30lbs

Any one here using a pull-up frame? My old iron man door frame one won't work in the house I'm moving to next month. Suggestions? Bands aren't an option, I refuse to use them like that.

Edit Forgot to mention that I'm doing a cut this month. Preping for my vacation coming up next month.

Sounds awesome... do you do any running or jogging? I had considered trying to do cardio in one of those, once upon a time, so I'm curious to hear results once you start using it.

Hawkian, you are on notice and will be bothered via PM if you no show on the thread for too long.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking to spend some money on decent cross-training shoes (which I'll use during P90X/2 workouts). Any other recommendations?

I'm looking to spend some money on decent cross-training shoes (which I'll use during P90X/2 workouts). Any other recommendations?

According to Tony, get basketball shoes, since they protect your ankle and are designed for lateral as well as back/forward movement

Got a weird tightness on the back of me left leg. Below the calf but above the achilles tendon.

It's very tight but once I'm through the warm up, it's fine. I have been icing it after the work out.

Think I should ibuprofen it before the workout and then ice after? Any suggestions?

Tekniqs

for insanity, what you would you say is the average time spent on them per night? If it's close to what I spend in the gym, I may just switch

Tekniqs

nice I might have to get in on Insanity then...currently doing about 45 minutes in the gym then about 30 minutes of jogging afterwards....

INSANITY...HERE I COME!

(is it hard? =[ ) lol

nice I might have to get in on Insanity then...currently doing about 45 minutes in the gym then about 30 minutes of jogging afterwards....

INSANITY...HERE I COME!

(is it hard? =[ ) lol

First month averages around 40 mins. Second month you're looking at 60min workouts.

It's no half chub, it's hard.

FOOTE

Sounds awesome... do you do any running or jogging? I had considered trying to do cardio in one of those, once upon a time, so I'm curious to hear results once you start using it.

Hawkian, you are on notice and will be bothered via PM if you no show on the thread for too long.
Uhh, I'll try it on my treadmill. Don't want to see what happens if someone calls in a bomb threat.

Welp, I'm going to be out of the game for a little bit. Two weeks ago I got a pain in my lower left abdomen during a workout. I thought it was just a cramp at first but it got so bad I had to stop my workout. The day after that I was fine and went back to my regular routine. That following weekend I was in Vegas and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Ever since I got back I now have this pain in my lower right abdomen that goes from a dull ache to sharp pain randomly. Also, I'll get pains near my back and left side. Decided it was time to make a trip to the doctors office. He said he thinks there's a 25% chance I have appendicitis. Or it could be something simple like I a pulled muscle in my abdomen. Anywho, I had blood drawn today so I'll find out sooner than later. Super bummed.

LaneDS

Welp, I'm going to be out of the game for a little bit. Two weeks ago I got a pain in my lower left abdomen during a workout. I thought it was just a cramp at first but it got so bad I had to stop my workout. The day after that I was fine and went back to my regular routine. That following weekend I was in Vegas and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Ever since I got back I now have this pain in my lower right abdomen that goes from a dull ache to sharp pain randomly. Also, I'll get pains near my back and left side. Decided it was time to make a trip to the doctors office. He said he thinks there's a 25% chance I have appendicitis. Or it could be something simple like I a pulled muscle in my abdomen. Anywho, I had blood drawn today so I'll find out sooner than later. Super bummed.

Hey if they caught it and nothing ruptured, you'll be fine in no time. Had mine removed almost a year ago and was doing plyometrics within two weeks of the surgery (maybe not a great idea, but I know you're in better shape than I was or am, so you'll be totally fine).

Either way, obviously hoping for the best HP.

NoRéN

Hey if they caught it and nothing ruptured, you'll be fine in no time. Had mine removed almost a year ago and was doing plyometrics within two weeks of the surgery (maybe not a great idea, but I know you're in better shape than I was or am, so you'll be totally fine).

OMG! I did something similar. Had some tumors removed and was itching to get back into the routine.

There was blood.

Thanks Lane. I remember when you got yours out. Did your pain start off small and gradually get worse? Everything I've read up on says it comes on FAST, and I don't have the nausea/vomiting. My doc said there is a small percentage of people who are tough to diagnose and the symptoms can start off very minor.

Tekniqs

so say, you finish Insanity...but you're still not where you want to be, would it be wise to restart? or move onto something else?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Best of luck! Keep us posted!

so say, you finish Insanity...but you're still not where you want to be, would it be wise to restart? or move onto something else?

A lot of people have done several rounds of Insanity. There's always room for improvement, so feel free to restart. You might repeat the recovery week in between but otherwise it's perfectly fine to keep doing the program.

Personally I like switching programs for the variety -- I'm in my 7th Beachbody workout program since January of last year.

FOOTE

Good luck, Mr. Potter. You've survived worse.

But seriously, lets us know how it turns out. Hopefully some rest is all you need.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ahh damn man. Wish you a speedy recovery whatever it is.

Menaged

Get well Harry :)

On another note, about cardio abs:

- Does it matter if I do it right after pure cardio?
- If I want better abs, should I make two-three session per week regardless the schedule?

LaneDS

Thanks Lane. I remember when you got yours out. Did your pain start off small and gradually get worse? Everything I've read up on says it comes on FAST, and I don't have the nausea/vomiting. My doc said there is a small percentage of people who are tough to diagnose and the symptoms can start off very minor.

It was mild, but for me I believe I felt it over a period of days, not weeks. However, I remember it was really early into my starting P90X so I can totally see me feeling pain and simply discounting the more minor stuff as just part of being sore at first. I distinctly remember standing in an executive's office the day before I ended up staying out of work and going to the doctor (and then ER) and apologizing to them because I thought I had some serious indigestion.

When do you hear back from the doc with the blood work? I really do believe you will be better than fine in no time dude.

Korosenai

- If I want better abs, should I make two-three session per week regardless the schedule?
I was gonna ask this as well. Just started the second week this morning so ill have to do cardio abs soon.

When should you do cardio abs? Like one workout in the morning, the other at night? Or back to back (do one dvd, skip the cool down, put in cardio abs, skip the warmup, and then finish the dvd normally)?

Thanks. You can do cardio abs whenever. There's a little warm up to kick it off so it's not like Ab Ripper where you're just thrown into it. Personally I like to do it right after the main workout so I don't put off doing it.

It was mild, but for me I believe I felt it over a period of days, not weeks. However, I remember it was really early into my starting P90X so I can totally see me feeling pain and simply discounting the more minor stuff as just part of being sore at first. I distinctly remember standing in an executive's office the day before I ended up staying out of work and going to the doctor (and then ER) and apologizing to them because I thought I had some serious indigestion.

When do you hear back from the doc with the blood work? I really do believe you will be better than fine in no time dude.

I should hear back today, but it's Kaiser, so who knows.

Stay strong HP! And continue to piss in the shower in the morning :)

Oh, nothing is stopping this piss train!

diamount

Banned
This is so annoying. The beachbody selection is extremely limited in the UK the precursor to P90X, Power 90 isn't even available.

Has anyone here tried Shakeology? Worth it? Any cheaper alternatives?

Shakeology is definitely worth it if you can afford it. For the amount of nutrients there's really no comparable cheaper alternative, although if you must look into Lean1 or other vegan shake at your organic food store like whole foods

Posting again for a few more suggestions. I also answered Hawkian that I should be good to use both a pull-up bar and free weights in my room.

Thanks!

Trying to decide what will be a better fit for me...

Currently my bedroom is on the small side so even being able to utilize a balance ball will result in me hitting something. Aside from that, I have hour-long commutes to/from work so time (which I can make) is another thing to consider.

Fitness-wise, I'm quite able-bodied and enjoy doing mud runs for fun with my friend but of course I'm looking to lose weight & define my body a bit.

P90 looks like a good option but I don't know if it's worth it to go to P90X instead. Also T-25 is appealing as well though I like the fact that Insanity doesn't use anything (I do own a yoga mat & balance ball though).

So suggestions please & thanks.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

I can send you a free sample if I'm your Team Beachbody coach (and you live in the US or Canada). PM me if you're interested.

My wife & I have both been drinking it for a couple months now. I don't know that there are any other shakes quite like it in terms of the phytonutrients, pro- and pre-biotics, digestive enzymes, vitamins, minerals, etc. and it's a great source of protein as well. You can mix it with other ingredients to add macronutrients (carbs, fat, protein) to tweak it to fit into your current meal plan, too. There's a bunch of recipes for it.

As far as cost it's under $4.50 per serving, which sounds like a lot until you remember it's a meal replacement shake, so you have to factor in what you would have otherwise spent for the meal you are replacing.

I've been thinking of doing one of these workouts. I could stand to loose 20 or so lbs and my problem is mostly time. I'd I'm not so out of shape that I can't keep up with my kids or go on a long hike. I'm just tired of my gut. I'm thinking of the P90 to start. Any advice for a potential newbie? If I still with it does it really work?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I've been thinking of doing one of these workouts. I could stand to loose 20 or so lbs and my problem is mostly time. I'd I'm not so out of shape that I can't keep up with my kids or go on a long hike. I'm just tired of my gut. I'm thinking of the P90 to start. Any advice for a potential newbie? If I still with it does it really work?

I started with P90. If you get it I recommend getting the P90 Master Series. P90 is 90 days in four phases -- 1 and 2 are on one disk, 3 and 4 on another. I switched to 3/4 after 30 days and doing the same few routines for 60 days got repetitive. If you get the Master Series it adds phases 5 and 6. In hindsight I would have ordered that.

As it was P90 was a good kickstart. If you haven't really done much in the way of exercising for a while it's a good choice.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've used Lean1 successfully as a "poor man's" alternative to Shakeology for occasional augmentation/meal replacement.

It's not as nutritionally complete per calorie (nothing is), but it's about 1/4th the price :p
Posting again for a few more suggestions. I also answered Hawkian that I should be good to use both a pull-up bar and free weights in my room.

Thanks!
Whoops sorry. P90X my good sir.

I'm starting p90x Monday but I'm still recovering from an ankle injury. Shouldn't be a problem except for plyo... What can I do instead on plyo day? Cardio?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm starting p90x Monday but I'm still recovering from an ankle injury. Shouldn't be a problem except for plyo... What can I do instead on plyo day? Cardio?

Yeah, Cardio X sounds like a good replacement until your ankle heals since there's isn't too much jumping and it's also a pretty short workout.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Yeah, Cardio X sounds like a good replacement until your ankle heals since there's isn't too much jumping and it's also a pretty short workout.

I started P90X with an ankle injury and a tweaked knee. I wrapped my ankle and used a knee brace for the first few weeks & did fine.

It really depends on how bad your ankle is. You might want to preview Plyometrics first & carefully try out the moves to see how the feel.

Top Bottom