• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

RM8

Today I officially started Insanity! I'm very glad I decided to do the fit test twice before starting today - I just finished and I'm not nearly as tired as I was two days ago. Not sure if that's just me imagining things :p Also, very weird, but my legs were burning when I started today but they stopped hurting as I kept doing the fit test, and currently I don't feel pain :O The pain is probably going to come back once I cool down, but I found it quite interesting.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Back to P90X. Feels goood.

Did Chest and Back + Beast Abs. I'm also doing the fat shredder diet right now and I'm surprised how easier it feels compared to the insanity that was the beast diet plan.

Now I need to decide what to do tomorrow: Plyometrics or Plyocide. I guess I'll flip a coin and let it decide.

Month 1 of insanity complete!

Rest day tomorrow followed by recovery week.

Any tips for shoulder stamina? My shoulders start burning when doing long plank work and they give out much earlier than my core. Anyone else experience this?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Any tips for shoulder stamina? My shoulders start burning when doing long plank work and they give out much earlier than my core. Anyone else experience this?

Yep. This is what Shaun T means by "dig deeper". When it starts getting difficult, when you feel like you have to quit. Your body tells you you can't do any more. So you "dig deeper" and hold out longer. That's how you improve your stamina.

It's hard, but it's supposed to be :)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
T-25 announcement tomorrow?

Could be. I haven't heard anything. They are doing a weekly drawing to win a free copy of T25 on the Focus T25 Facebook page, the first winner was announced this morning.

He might just be referring to his earlier post:

I know you are wondering what the next challenge is we are doing. It is still going to be Asylum 1, Hip Hop Abs, or a hybrid called Hipsylum. Tomorrow we release some further details about a Jump STart Challenge we will do until our OFFICIAL START DATE OF MONDAY, MAY 20TH. There will be no contest, other than the contest within yourself to be the best YOU possible.

Menaged

Congrats! I'm 3 days away from it

BTW, I saw that day 1 of month 2 is fitness test.and max... Something. Are you supposes do them one after another? Doesn't that mean insta death?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Congrats! I'm 3 days away from it

BTW, I saw that day 1 of month 2 is fitness test.and max... Something. Are you supposes do them one after another? Doesn't that mean insta death?

You don't have to do them back-to-back, or even in order. You just need to do both in the same day.

Month 2 is like starting over :)

Decided to start up Body Beast again. Huge schedule. I did build legs on Sunday and my thighs are still screaming today.

Once I can get back into cardio, I like your idea Steve of doing T25 along with BB.

sp3ctr3

nearing the end of P90X. Got stretch x tomorrown and that wraps up week 10. I've seen great progress so far, but I have a feeling that when I'm done with round 1 of P90X I wont be satisfied with my results. I want to get more cut and build my chest some more, so what to do? I'm getting sick of the cardio workouts in this program. I like Core Synergetics and Plyo is ok, even if it has some bullshit moves here and there that does nothing. I can't drag myself off the couch to do Kenpo X (too easy) or Yoga X (it can gtfo with that bs length).

What would you guys recommend? I've been thinking of either one of the following (advice appreciated):
1. keep doing phase 3 with my current diet till im satisfied. do core synergetics on the cardio days. Is that overdoing it?

2. get body beast and stay with current diet. about 1400kcal, 165g protein and 100g carbs a day. I know this won't make me grow, but will it help shred fat? I like the short length of these videos but will I have the juice to do it?

3. start P90X all over from day0. This option makes no sense to me, as I've now built myself to do phase 3?

My goal is to bulk a bit of my chest and shoulder as they are lacking compared to the rest of my body, and get my fat % down to 10.

with the rate im going I figure I will end on 76kg ~165lbs , 15% bodyfat.

I live in an appartment with thin walls so no jumping around stuff, which I think insanity is?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
nearing the end of P90X. Got stretch x tomorrown and that wraps up week 10. I've seen great progress so far, but I have a feeling that when I'm done with round 1 of P90X I wont be satisfied with my results. I want to get more cut and build my chest some more, so what to do? I'm getting sick of the cardio workouts in this program. I like Core Synergetics and Plyo is ok, even if it has some bullshit moves here and there that does nothing. I can't drag myself off the couch to do Kenpo X (too easy) or Yoga X (it can gtfo with that bs length).

What would you guys recommend? I've been thinking of either one of the following (advice appreciated):
1. keep doing phase 3 with my current diet till im satisfied. do core synergetics on the cardio days. Is that overdoing it?

2. get body beast and stay with current diet. about 1400kcal, 165g protein and 100g carbs a day. I know this won't make me grow, but will it help shred fat? I like the short length of these videos but will I have the juice to do it?

Body Beast has a "Lean" schedule, basically it has you do a "Beast Cardio" routine every week whereas the "Huge" schedule doesn't. And you don't HAVE to follow the meal plan, which will have much higher caloric intake -- you'll gain strength but not as much mass. To gain mass you have to eat.

3. start P90X all over from day0. This option makes no sense to me, as I've now built myself to do phase 3?

You can do P90X as often as you want. You can alter the length of the phases to suit, and you just do higher weights.

My goal is to bulk a bit of my chest and shoulder as they are lacking compared to the rest of my body, and get my fat % down to 10.

I live in an appartment with thin walls so no jumping around stuff, which I think insanity is?

Insanity has a lot of jumping -- but you can modify with lower impact moves. Search for "insanity low impact modifications" on YouTube for some examples.

Another option is P90X2 -- you need more equipment (heavy duty stability ball and at least 2 medicine balls) -- but it's a great program, and X2 Yoga is much shorter than Yoga X :)

Personally I think you should never be "satisfied" with your results -- you should choose milestones, and when you reach them, choose more. For example, "I want to do 130 pull-ups in Chest & Back", or "I want to be able to curl 45lb dumbbells", or "I want to get to 10% body fat". You can have multiple goals at once.

It'll take a while. But if you stick with it and eat right you can do it.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

I don't think you'll gain anything with Body Beast (or any other bulking workout for that matter) eating 1400c a day.

Parch

I did the program for awhile, but I'm just cherry picking some P90X workouts now. The high impact stuff is too rough on the knees and back, and I prefer to do my own weight training routines. I like the Yoga X, Cardio X, Core Synergistics, Cardio Intervals, and X Stretch.

Mix and match P90X with my own routines and biking works best for me.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
A lot of people have done P90X multiple times. There is no way to "master" the program, and starting over is in no way a downgrade (the word phase is kind of misleading, really). I mean, think about it; some of these workouts you're only doing 5 times over the course of three months. There is a LOT of room to improve and push yourself further. Also, do the yoga; either shorten the beginning and ending stretches, or just do the first half. IT WORKS.

sp3ctr3

ah yes, when thinking about it, phase 3 is just week1 and week 5 over and over, so not a downgrade, but I would hate to have to wait 5 weeks to do back&biceps again, my absolute favorite. 1st half of yoga x is awesome, 2nd half is not, so maybe first half is ok and the yoga belly + stretch. I don¨t plan on reaching my "goal" and the quit. I will keep going but up my calories again when my fat % is a the number I'm "satisfied" with.

Hmm, will look into lean beast, but if it does nothing for shredding fat I might as well just stick to the plan and do p90x phase 3 with the diet.

maybe do plyo x, 1st half of yoga x and core synergetics on the 3 cardio days? I don't want to overtrain anything, so if core synergetics should be left for the recovery weeks, let me know.

Menaged

You don't have to do them back-to-back, or even in order. You just need to do both in the same day.

Month 2 is like starting over :)

Shit :(
I feel like I'm doing really good in the past week.

Kinda off-topic, and I have no idea if anything will come out of it, but I'll ask:
My mom wants to do "something" as well. Insanity is definitely not for her IMO, especialy since she has bad knees. She's 58 years old, and beside the occasional walk on the beach, doesn't do much. Do you have any ideas what can she do as a programme (not necessarily BB I guess)? She really likes the idea of a schedule that will make her do some exercise.

Her goal is to "stablise her mucsles" as she phrased it. A bit of this and a bit of that I suppose.
I don't think she's overweight, but she's not thin either...

Thanks a lot for any suggestions, even if it's a simple "I have no idea" :p

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Kinda off-topic, and I have no idea if anything will come out of it, but I'll ask:
My mom wants to do "something" as well. Insanity is definitely not for her IMO, especialy since she has bad knees. She's 58 years old, and beside the occasional walk on the beach, doesn't do much. Do you have any ideas what can she do as a programme (not necessarily BB I guess)? She really likes the idea of a schedule that will make her do some exercise.

Her goal is to "stablise her mucsles" as she phrased it. A bit of this and a bit of that I suppose.

I'd suggest Tony's 10 Minute Trainer. I got it for my mother as well and tried a couple of the DVDs and they are pretty good, short and casual friendly workouts.

The program is like $100 and comes with resistance bands and the calendar which specifies what to do each day, as well as a nutrition plan.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Tai Cheng challenge packs are on sale this month. It's Tai Chi. Nice & gentle & non-impact. Might be just the ticket.

Parch

Do you have any ideas what can she do as a programme (not necessarily BB I guess)? She really likes the idea of a schedule that will make her do some exercise.
Investing big cash in a program can be a waste if they find it too difficult. Small steps. Encourage the walking and increase intensity of that. If knees are a bother then some sort of low impact cardio like walking or biking is best.
Yoga is good for flexibility, and resistance bands are good for some resistance training. Females don't find that intimidating and there are plenty dvds that cater to beginners. Even the free Yoga and Fitness TV shows are good for beginners, if you get those channels. Local fitness classes are a good way find a workout buddy for her too.

I don't really know if any of these programs would be good for an older beginner. They're mostly serious workouts with higher difficulty. The bargain bin DVDs with an hour of basic, low impact or Yoga workouts sound like a better investment for your mom.

Yep. This is what Shaun T means by "dig deeper". When it starts getting difficult, when you feel like you have to quit. Your body tells you you can't do any more. So you "dig deeper" and hold out longer. That's how you improve your stamina.

It's hard, but it's supposed to be :)

Don't you "dig deeper" me, Scuba Steve!!!

I think I'm not lining up my shoulders to wrist and evenly distributing the weight. I'll work on that during recovery week.

Menaged

Thank you so much for your help guys, I really appreciate that.
I'll look into all of the options that you listed and try to figure out what's best.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Finished Plyometrics. Still the monster I remember and feared, haha.
Steelo :(

I had Plyo X today as well. I will always dread doing it, even if it's not that bad (it's still pretty bad). I just hate the warm-up; it feels so long.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Steelo :(

I had Plyo X today as well. I will always dread doing it, even if it's not that bad (it's still pretty bad). I just hate the warm-up; it feels so long.

Oh no, what'd he do?! Sigh.

I never could get the hang of those rock star jumps. Too uncoordinated.

Tash

First of all holy shit that is some low calories..You are already quite thin from the numbers so restricting calories like that won't help. Worst that can happen is that your body will hold on to those last resources even tighter. I would seriously advice to up your calories to at least 1800..
Hell, I am 57kg, 168 and eat 2000 a day approx..
Not to mention, nothing burns and ramps up your metabolism more than lean muscles.
I started losing those last resources not with cardio but with weight training..
I would actually suggest P90X2 for you.

Also, if you think KenpoX is too easy here is what I did: added weighted gloves and ankle weights..not try again ;)

Tash

P90 might be a good start as well :)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
That looks like an interesting program. What's the major benefit of doing it?

Tai Chi improves your balance, and is also said to lower blood pressure and reduce the chance of injuries due to falls. The program is 90 days, divided into four phases. In the first three 3-week phases, you learn 6 Tai Chi moves, and in the fourth 4-week phase you learn how to put the moves together in sequence.

"The Tai Cheng program shows you how to customize a workout that feels good, challenges your body, gives you energy, improves circulation, straightens posture, opens your joints, reduces painful trigger points, and promotes balance and flexibility so that your health actually improves as you age."

Tai Chi improves your balance, and is also said to lower blood pressure and reduce the chance of injuries due to falls. The program is 90 days, divided into four phases. In the first three 3-week phases, you learn 6 Tai Chi moves, and in the fourth 4-week phase you learn how to put the moves together in sequence.

"The Tai Cheng program shows you how to customize a workout that feels good, challenges your body, gives you energy, improves circulation, straightens posture, opens your joints, reduces painful trigger points, and promotes balance and flexibility so that your health actually improves as you age."

Hmm. Do you think its something that can be combined for a doubles program with P90X2? If so, I might be interested in giving it a go.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Hmm. Do you think its something that can be combined for a doubles program with P90X2? If so, I might be interested in giving it a go.

I don't see why not. Might be a good way to wind down at the end of the day. Nice thing is all you need is about a 6'x6' area and a foam roller, which comes with it. If you order it through a coach you get a bonus workout with it. Also, the challenge pack is on sale this month, $180 with free shipping, Shakeology on Home Direct, and a free 30 day Club membership. About $90 less than ordering everything separately.

I forget which is better in Body Beast, do I want to do the build or tempo routines during the first month?

I alternated on the workouts that the schedule suggests, doing the "normal" workout one week and the tempo variant the next. I'll do that in Phase 3 as well.

I don't see why not. Might be a good way to wind down at the end of the day. Nice thing is all you need is about a 6'x6' area and a foam roller, which comes with it. If you order it through a coach you get a bonus workout with it. Also, the challenge pack is on sale this month, $180 with free shipping, Shakeology on Home Direct, and a free 30 day Club membership. About $90 less than ordering everything separately.

I alternated on the workouts that the schedule suggests, doing the "normal" workout one week and the tempo variant the next. I'll do that in Phase 3 as well.

That's what I did my first time with the program. I can't remember if I liked tempo or not. I'll just alternate again. Thanks.

If it's your first time I recommend starting with Build and then Tempo for the last phase.

Tempo is great tho! Six second up, six second down pull ups are no joke.

This is my second time. Oh snap, forgot about those pull ups. The great thing about Body Beast is I'm catching up on all my podcasts.

Hoodbury

I did P90X 3 years ago and now just do plyo once or twice a week to get ready for the volleyball season. Damn it is so brutal, and I mean that in a good way.

It was pretty cool back when I did the whole program being sorta buff. I'm a pretty skinny/scrawny guy so it was nice to have some back and arm muscles. The time commitment was just too much to keep going.

But doing plyo seems to keep me in decent enough shape for my bar league volleyball playing abilities. Mad props to all of you who can keep it up after finishing the program and moving on to the other programs.

sp3ctr3

First of all holy shit that is some low calories..You are already quite thin from the numbers so restricting calories like that won't help. Worst that can happen is that your body will hold on to those last resources even tighter. I would seriously advice to up your calories to at least 1800..
Hell, I am 57kg, 168 and eat 2000 a day approx..
Not to mention, nothing burns and ramps up your metabolism more than lean muscles.
I started losing those last resources not with cardio but with weight training..
I would actually suggest P90X2 for you.

Also, if you think KenpoX is too easy here is what I did: added weighted gloves and ankle weights..not try again ;)

I don't consider myself thing right now at all. At day 60 my fat % was 18. I want to keep the carbs down so my lunch is a protein shake with 400ml milk and 100g blended fresh strawberries. I'm never hungry, but if I eat more the carbs go up along with the kcal.

as long as I keep shredding the fat, I'm sticking to my plan :)

My fat loss hasn't stagnated yet, so my body is still willing to let the fat go. Also, I prefer lifting weights to jumping around.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
K, I was trying to be lazy. I'll watch it when I get home from work. Really excited for this program. Seems like it will be a great compliment to any weight lifting routine.

Not much in the way of T25 details, mostly talking about how effective & focused it is, and how important the 25 minute duration is & what a difference it makes compared to the longer workout programs. He mentions that Tania's in it for modifications, so if you're too wiped out one day you can follow Tania the next day, etc.

A lot of REALLY good Insanity & Asylum advice, along with some great advice on how to get started, making short-term goals, etc. One person said they have started Insanity 3 times but never finished it -- he recommended doing Month 1 twice, not even going to Month 2. And he reiterated that you should never press pause!

He talks about body fat %. He was at 4% during Asylum, but he prefers living at about 8% because he can have Dairy Queen and M&M's :)

tmarques

Halfway through P90x because I was sick of the gym environment and having to drive there after a day of work etc. Enjoying it so far, but I'm concerned about the legs part. Is it really possible to gain strength - not to mention mass - without (much) heavier weights? I know you can hold dumbbells when doing some of the exercises, but usually my shoulders give up long before my legs "fell the burn".

Top Bottom