• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Parch

I like the sound of the Tai Cheng stuff. After an injury I'm having a helluva time having an intense workout without my back killing me and my knees aching.

At least I need to get me a foam roller.

I used to be the muscle guy who laughed at Yoga and that type of stuff but now that I've reached age 53 that type of stuff does wonders in maintaining a pain free life.

I don't see why not. Might be a good way to wind down at the end of the day. Nice thing is all you need is about a 6'x6' area and a foam roller, which comes with it. If you order it through a coach you get a bonus workout with it. Also, the challenge pack is on sale this month, $180 with free shipping, Shakeology on Home Direct, and a free 30 day Club membership. About $90 less than ordering everything separately.

That's a lot more than i'm looking to spend atm, especially with T25 coming up. I couldn't even find a used version on Ebay or Craigslist :/ Oh well, I might just save up for it when I move into my next apartment which probably won't have carpet.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
That's a lot more than i'm looking to spend atm, especially with T25 coming up. I couldn't even find a used version on Ebay or Craigslist :/ Oh well, I might just save up for it when I move into my next apartment which probably won't have carpet.

The standalone Tai Cheng kit is $119.95. You still get a free workout if you order through a coach, and the foam roller & resistance bands (the wide kind). The difference is no Shakeology & no 30 day Club membership.

The standalone Tai Cheng kit is $119.95. You still get a free workout if you order through a coach, and the foam roller & resistance bands (the wide kind). The difference is no Shakeology & no 30 day Club membership.

Gotcha. I'll give it a shot later this year then. I have a foam roller for P90X2 already, but I can give the extra one to the gf.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Man my whole body is sore from the last 2 weeks of running outside plus doing P90X/Insanity workouts here and there. I have vacation next Wednesday so I'm thinking I might just do some Yoga and some of the stretching routines from all the videos until then. My body needs a break.

Not much in the way of T25 details, mostly talking about how effective & focused it is, and how important the 25 minute duration is & what a difference it makes compared to the longer workout programs. He mentions that Tania's in it for modifications, so if you're too wiped out one day you can follow Tania the next day, etc.

A lot of REALLY good Insanity & Asylum advice, along with some great advice on how to get started, making short-term goals, etc. One person said they have started Insanity 3 times but never finished it -- he recommended doing Month 1 twice, not even going to Month 2. And he reiterated that you should never press pause!

He talks about body fat %. He was at 4% during Asylum, but he prefers living at about 8% because he can have Dairy Queen and M&M's :)

Sounds like it will be intense. I like the idea of doing a modified day if you need it.

FOOTE

Still waiting for my vest to come in. I really wanted to have it by now, but there was confusion about my address at the post office so it's making laps around St Louis. Ugh.

Menaged

I missed cardio recovery today (couldn't find the time).
Should I do it tomorrow and cancel my day off or just continue with the schedule and do pure cardio tomorrow?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I missed cardio recovery today (couldn't find the time).
Should I do it tomorrow and cancel my day off or just continue with the schedule and do pure cardio tomorrow?

Just do Pure Cardio tomorrow. I'm doing that tomorrow too at my Fit Club :) (plus Body Beast Cardio & Abs in the morning).

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Man, I'm beat. This is my first time doing the Phase 2 workouts with good, adjustable dumbbells (I only had 10s and 20s before) and a pull-up bar (used bands before), and it makes a HUGE difference, especially in Back & Biceps. I never really noticed it before, but I feel like these two videos (CST, B&B) are noticeably more difficult than the two Phase 1 workouts (C&B, S&A). And only one day off between pull-ups! It's good, though. :)

ALSO, I watched Tony's live chat/workout a bit ago and it was great. He answered questions from viewers for about 20 minutes, as he normally does, and then did the Warrior Workout routine with a room of Beachbody employees. It's about 30 minutes, requires no equipment, and features moves from P90X and P90X2. It's five rounds, each with four exercises that work the upper body, then cardio, then core, then lower body. Looks pretty awesome, and can easily be performed anywhere, while you're away on vacation or wherever.

You can watch the archived show/stream here:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/32878347

Tash

I hate P90X. It hates me. We have a mutual thing going on.

I got this love/hate relationship with YogaX. I swear by it though. It gave me the most insane overall improvement.
Still I love it before workout, hate it during and love it again after the workout..
It helped me walk down stairs without fear again and got my balance and flexibility to a point I never have been before.

Not to mention, holding crane for over 20 seconds is an amazing feeling. Specially after the whole "WTF YOU GOTTA BE SHITTING ME" reaction when I first saw it during my first yoga x day..and was like "eff you, I am going to do child's pose.."

Trigger

ALSO, I watched Tony's live chat/workout a bit ago and it was great. He answered questions from viewers for about 20 minutes, as he normally does, and then did the Warrior Workout routine with a room of Beachbody employees. It's about 30 minutes, requires no equipment, and features moves from P90X and P90X2. It's five rounds, each with four exercises that work the upper body, then cardio, then core, then lower body. Looks pretty awesome, and can easily be performed anywhere, while you're away on vacation or wherever.

You can watch the archived show/stream here:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/32878347

This is cool. Thanks for posting it.

Menaged

Ok, after looking through your suggestions, I figured Tai Cheng would be great for my mom.
I told her about it, and then she was like... "I prefer something with a bit more aerobic exercise, maybe something with a fit ball".

She really like the concept of Insanity, but it's just too intense for her...

Any ideas?

Thanks again :)

Tash

Ok, after looking through your suggestions, I figured Tai Cheng would be great for my mom.
I told her about it, and then she was like... "I prefer something with a bit more aerobic exercise, maybe something with a fit ball".

She really like the concept of Insanity, but it's just too intense for her...

Any ideas?

Thanks again :)

Like I said P90 :)
Or if she really wants a challenge P90X2 they use a lot of Swiss Balls but I think it would be too hardcore for her.

Korosenai

Finished 3 weeks of Insanity. Ive already gone from 178 to 172. Feels really good. Cant wait to finish this last week and the recovery week to finally get to the good stuff :)

Finished 3 weeks of Insanity. Ive already gone from 178 to 172. Feels really good. Cant wait to finish this last week and the recovery week to finally get to the good stuff :)

"I need you to push through!" Shaun T is a good coach. I try not to keep up with him though, totally throws off your form especially for those that are fairly out of shape.

Menaged

Like I said P90 :)
Or if she really wants a challenge P90X2 they use a lot of Swiss Balls but I think it would be too hardcore for her.

Heh, for some reason I didn't see your first reply :p
Sounds like it might suit her well...

Any by good stuff I think he means month 2 of Insanity.
I'm scared shitless of it after finally managing to do really well at the end of the first month.

I'm planning on starting P90X on Monday. I have a set of bands arriving soon and I've got a set of 10 and 20 lb. dumb bells.

I did get a pullup bar for the door frame but I have a couple issues. One, my (over)weight is confined to my gut, two, I'm tall and lanky. So, if I have the pullup bar in the door and I grab it fully extended by knees touch the ground. Add to that my extra weight and long arms I can barely do a single pullup. That's why I went for the bands.

Any last minute advice for someone who is going to take the plunge?

I'm planning on starting P90X on Monday. I have a set of bands arriving soon and I've got a set of 10 and 20 lb. dumb bells.

I did get a pullup bar for the door frame but I have a couple issues. One, my (over)weight is confined to my gut, two, I'm tall and lanky. So, if I have the pullup bar in the door and I grab it fully extended by knees touch the ground. Add to that my extra weight and long arms I can barely do a single pullup. That's why I went for the bands.

Any last minute advice for someone who is going to take the plunge?

Get ready to feel DOMS soon.

tmarques

I did get a pullup bar for the door frame but I have a couple issues. One, my (over)weight is confined to my gut, two, I'm tall and lanky. So, if I have the pullup bar in the door and I grab it fully extended by knees touch the ground.

Wish I had that problem. Have you tried crossing your ankles and bringing your knees towards your chest? I think it's even supposed to make pull-ups easier.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I had to switch to Yoga X2. Just the length psychological kills me.
I totally know what you mean, even if it's really not that bad. I mean, I'm sure you know this, but it's only 12 minutes longer than, say, Legs & Back + ARX. Putting a post-it note on my screen over the clock helps so I don't accidentally look at it and get discouraged ("IT'S ONLY BEEN 7 MINUTES?!").

FOOTE

I totally know what you mean, even if it's really not that bad. I mean, I'm sure you know this, but it's only 12 minutes longer than, say, Legs & Back + ARX. Putting a post-it note on my screen over the clock helps so I don't accidentally look at it and get discouraged ("IT'S ONLY BEEN 7 MINUTES?!").

Sometimes I like the clock. Other times I want to burn the clock.

sp3ctr3

uh oh, I'm getting confused again!

What is needed to bulk? "Lift big to get big", yeah I got that, but the nutrition. Protein to rebuild muscle and carbs to store energy , right?

I'm just trying to make sense of what I've been doing during P90X. I've been on a calorie deficit and taking protein close to the 1:1 weight in lbs/grams protein ratio. The protein helps keep the muscle mass while losing weight/shredding fat.

But to bulk you need the carbs? I'm confused by the, "you need to eat to grow"? Someone help me understand the basics of bulking.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
You're not going to bulk up (build muscle mass) on a calorie deficit. You do hard work (lifting heavy weights) to stimulate muscle growth, but if you don't give them enough fuel they won't grow.

If you're still trying to burn fat, might be better to stick with that and keep your caloric deficit. Then do Body Beast and follow the nutrition & supplement plan when you're ready to start bulking.

This isn't to say you won't gain any muscle or definition the way you're going -- but if the goal is muscle mass you have to fuel your body properly.

To be fair -- really the main difference is that the workouts have an extra round of drills. They're longer, not necessarily more intense. You'll do fine.

The Max warm ups are definitely more intense than the vanilla ones. These recovery is much tougher as well; I honestly wish it wasn't called recovery though.

I'm curious about insanity because of not needing equipment, but I'm so fucking lazy and busy, I'm not sure that I would be able to pull it off.

Can someone give me a shot of liquid discipline?

Chinner

Banned
guys, if i eat a lot will i automatically get a six pack? eating more makes my stomach muscles work more, which means i should get a six pack, right?

About to start tonight.

I think I'm going to start with Power 90, I've been completely sedentary for a couple of years now after having some health problems and am by far in the worse shape of my life. I've already lost 30+lbs since January just on diet alone, although in the past month I've really fallen off. I was hoping to lose a little bit before I started a workout program (I know how much that sounds like shitty and lame procrastination, but I really REALLY hated how my body felt while in motion, even that bit I've lost has helped).

6'-0" 225lbs right now, had been ~260lbs in the new year. 175 had been my fighting weight 5 years ago, but I don't really have any real specific targets

I had bought a set of Powerblocks but realized when I could barely carry one of the 50lb dumbbells back from the mailbox that I better start smaller :lol

I decided to pick up a set of bands instead, got some from Bodylastics and am pretty surprised how great they seem to be made. I had cheaped out on a pullup bar and kind of regretted it, it's the Iron Gym Bar in the OP but I don't know if mine is fake or what since it seems to be pretty flimsilymade.

Mendrox

guys, if i eat a lot will i automatically get a six pack? eating more makes my stomach muscles work more, which means i should get a six pack, right?

Chinner...

Oh you...

But with training you will get thinner and so in the end you will get a six pack - so yes. But only if you have muscles which burn the calories that you consume.

sp3ctr3

You're not going to bulk up (build muscle mass) on a calorie deficit. You do hard work (lifting heavy weights) to stimulate muscle growth, but if you don't give them enough fuel they won't grow.

If you're still trying to burn fat, might be better to stick with that and keep your caloric deficit. Then do Body Beast and follow the nutrition & supplement plan when you're ready to start bulking.

This isn't to say you won't gain any muscle or definition the way you're going -- but if the goal is muscle mass you have to fuel your body properly.

yes, I'm aware that I can't bulk on a calorie deficit, and my goal was to get my fat % down. But when I reach that goal I would like to bulk, but I'm confused about the nutrition? What is the "fuel"? more carbs? do you need more than the 1:1 ratio of proteins vs lbs?

Basically what does the "eat more" do? Is it the extra carbs or the extra calories or what? I looked at the body beast nutrition plan and it basically says I will have to almost triple my calories during bulking. I'm scared of putting the weight (read, FAT) back on.

Mendrox

yes, I'm aware that I can't bulk on a calorie deficit, and my goal was to get my fat % down. But when I reach that goal I would like to bulk, but I'm confused about the nutrition? What is the "fuel"? more carbs? do you need more than the 1:1 ratio of proteins vs lbs?

Basically what does the "eat more" do? Is it the extra carbs or the extra calories or what? I looked at the body beast nutrition plan and it basically says I will have to almost triple my calories during bulking. I'm scared of putting the weight (read, FAT) back on.

You will put on a little bit... of course. But your body will use it for your muscles (and a little bit for the tummy) Your body will need more food and process it way better than before. Trust me. Muscles burn more calories! That's the clue so it's important to double/triple your calories. With a decifit you will get more lean muscles but not really bigger ones.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
You will put on a little bit... of course. But your body will use it for your muscles (and a little bit for the tummy) Your body will need more food and process it way better than before. Trust me. Muscles burn more calories! That's the clue so it's important to double/triple your calories. With a decifit you will get more lean muscles but not really bigger ones.

That's what's happening with Body Beast for me.

So I drink a recovery drink made up of Beachbody's Fuel Shot, Base Shake and creatine powder immediately after I work out. About an hour later, I have my Shakeology made with ice, whole milk, a tbs of almond butter, a tbs of coconut oil, and some sort of fruit (today was cherries, was delicious). When I get to work I usually have an english muffin with butter & cream cheese and two hard boiled eggs. A lunch it's usually a nice-size piece of steak, chicken, or fish with extra vegetables, and sometimes I'll have a tuna salad sandwich with side of veg. Occasionally I'll have a pasta dish but I don't make a habit of it. And maybe 3 days a week I'll have a Chobani or Oikos Greek yogurt cup right after lunch. Around 3:30 or so I'll have another Greek yogurt, then dinner at home (which varies wildly) with a glass of whole milk. Some coffee in the morning otherwise lots & lots of water.

So I'm eating a ton, and have gained at last check about 9lbs (this is 47 days into Body Beast). My body fat % has gone up about a whole point, but my waist actually looks thinner (abs are a bit more defined) and my pants don't feel any tighter.

I have two more weeks of the "Bulk" phase of Body Beast, and then it's time for the Beast phase which is a cutting phase. I'll be reducing carbs again.

Muscle growth happens while you are sleeping -- and I know that it's working because MAN do I sweat a lot at night.

We'll see the tale of the tape when it's all over.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I'm almost done with my P90X/X2/One on One hybrid and was looking at Body Beast as my next challenge.
But I'm confused, do you only do abs workout once per week in Body Beast, or am I missing something?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'm almost done with my P90X/X2/One on One hybrid and was looking at Body Beast as my next challenge.
But I'm confused, do you only do abs workout once per week in Body Beast, or am I missing something?

How often Abs comes up in Body Beast
Lean Beast schedule:
Build: 1x/week
Bulk: 1x/week
Beast: 2x/week in weeks 1 and 3, 1x/week in weeks 2 and 4

Huge Beast schedule:
Build block: 1x/week in weeks 1 & 2, 3x in week 3
Bulk: 1x/week
Beast: 1x in week 1, 2x/week in weeks 2 and 3.

That said -- you're using your abs A LOT when you're doing some of the bigger compound moves, especially with heavy weights, and there's almost always a couple rounds of some sort of ab move towards the end of each workout.

Menaged

Oy. Beast Cardio & Abs this morning, Insanity Pure Cardio at Fit Club at noon. Tired now.

Damn... that sounds crazy. Doing pure cardio alone kills me.

I'm curious about insanity because of not needing equipment, but I'm so fucking lazy and busy, I'm not sure that I would be able to pull it off.

Can someone give me a shot of liquid discipline?

You should be able to pull it off!
I finished month 1 today and I'm shocked that I managed to do it. I havn't done any exercise in the last few years, and I'm doing quite well.

---

About recovery week - can I / should I continue doing cardio abs? I'm currently doing it 3 times per week.

Odinson

Subscribing to this thread because I forget about it. I started my second round of Asylum this week. Would have started last week but my partner had a really bad sunburn so we just did speed and agility for the week. We did vertical plyo yesterday and that was tough after not doing it for a while. After this round I will probably move on to Asylum 2.

vatstep

Do you guys look at your previous week's numbers when doing workouts, or not? There are pros and cons, I guess. If you don't look, you can just do whatever you can that day and not feel bad if you fall short. But if you DO look, it might give you the extra motivation to push extra hard and one-up yourself. This is the method I usually use, but was just wondering what some of you think.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Do you guys look at your previous week's numbers when doing workouts, or not? There are pros and cons, I guess. If you don't look, you can just do whatever you can that day and not feel bad if you fall short. But if you DO look, it might give you the extra motivation to push extra hard and one-up yourself. This is the method I usually use, but was just wondering what some of you think.

When it comes to weights, always. And I write notes when merited, such as "last few were really hard" or "slower & more range of motion next time". I try to have the worksheet from the last time I did that particular routine for reference whenever possible (which is why printed worksheets on a clipboard are much better than, say, the P90X or Body Beast apps).

To progress in strength & muscle mass you have to progress in weight being lifted. And you can't really do that if you don't keep track.

When it comes to cardio workouts or yoga, it's more about personal milestones. It's much harder to write anything down because you generally don't get a chance to. But I try to recount areas I struggled with and accomplishments in my accountability posts (on the TBB message boards or Facebook groups, and sometimes here) and I'll refer back to those so I can work on what I need to.

vatstep

When it comes to weights, always. And I write notes when merited, such as "last few were really hard" or "slower & more range of motion next time". I try to have the worksheet from the last time I did that particular routine for reference whenever possible (which is why printed worksheets on a clipboard are much better than, say, the P90X or Body Beast apps).

To progress in strength & muscle mass you have to progress in weight being lifted. And you can't really do that if you don't keep track.

When it comes to cardio workouts or yoga, it's more about personal milestones. It's much harder to write anything down because you generally don't get a chance to. But I try to recount areas I struggled with and accomplishments in my accountability posts (on the TBB message boards or Facebook groups, and sometimes here) and I'll refer back to those so I can work on what I need to.
I definitely learned this the hard way when I did P90/P90X for the first time and barely upped my weights due to limited equipment. I've been keeping track of everything this time around (I didn't last time, for some reason — a huge mistake) and do refer to the previous weight I used, but sometimes I try not to focus on how many reps I may have done the week before. But I guess if I'm upping my weight, I shouldn't be concerned about possibly falling short in reps anyway.

Overall, I mostly had pull-ups in mind. For the first few weeks, I had been ignoring my previous highs and just doing as many as I could. Today, I tried looking at my previous week's numbers and I felt like it really helped.

So, moving forward, I'll keep all of this in mind. Thanks, Steve.

Top Bottom