• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Today is a rest video day. Which rest video out of P90X/X2/Insanity/Asylum is the best? Suggestions on which to do today? Preferably one that's a bit on the shorter side. :p

I have decided to give the P90X system a try. I found a set on Craig' List for $75 that I can hopefully grab.

What equipment do I need besides the DVDs and books that come with it?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Looking at my stretch bands, I think I'm going to hit P90X hard again this year like I did some years back - workouts have been going great the last couple months, but I'll have to get around to throwing out some of the crap I have in my place to make space for the workout again. Gonna look to get that done this weekend.

I'm back in the game. Got my blood work back. Nothing crazy going on with my white blood cells, which means my body isn't fighting off anything, so no appendicitis. The rest of the ordeal might be a little TMI, so I'll just say I'm feeling much better. I did have to stop my run of Insanity because of this but I started up X2 again until T25 comes out.

Thanks! I'll order T25.

It's not out yet, hopefully next month.

JohnnieTheGamer

Neo Member
I have decided to give the P90X system a try. I found a set on Craig' List for $75 that I can hopefully grab.

What equipment do I need besides the DVDs and books that come with it?

The equipment you need is in the OP.

Ugh, Ab Ripper X. I'm on my third week, and it's still super tough. I wonder if I'll ever make it through all the moves. Why is crunchie frog so hard, lol? It looks so easy. Pfifer (sp?)Scissors are easier than crunchie frog for me. My hip flexors are definitely my weak point.

Also, the ab climbing/reach moves tend to make my abs start to cramp.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'm back in the game. Got my blood work back. Nothing crazy going on with my white blood cells, which means my body isn't fighting off anything, so no appendicitis. The rest of the ordeal might be a little TMI, so I'll just say I'm feeling much better. I did have to stop my run of Insanity because of this but I started up X2 again until T25 comes out.

Great news!!

Last I heard about T25 is June for coaches, July for everyone else.

LaneDS

Seems like good news, right? Glad to hear you're feeling better in any case!

Nearly two weeks into P90X return. Haven't done much for Ab Ripper (lower back issues, any good suggestions on lower back strengthening exercises I can do?) and haven't done plyo (do cardio on those days) or kenpo (doing yoga x2 a week) but otherwise been good about showing up and pressing play. Still weak compared to where I was in October, but getting it back bit by bit.

Anyone here going to in the October Mid-Atlantic Tough Mudder?

Seems like good news, right? Glad to hear you're feeling better in any case!

Nearly two weeks into P90X return. Haven't done much for Ab Ripper (lower back issues, any good suggestions on lower back strengthening exercises I can do?) and haven't done plyo (do cardio on those days) or kenpo (doing yoga x2 a week) but otherwise been good about showing up and pressing play. Still weak compared to where I was in October, but getting it back bit by bit.

Anyone here going to in the October Mid-Atlantic Tough Mudder?

Planks. Planks and more planks. I've totally thrown out Ab Ripper since it doesn't do much at all for core strength.

Try this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-wlA5lXoYCg

Helped a ton with my core and I didn't need to pressure the back area. Any chance you're doing squats/deadlifts too?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
You already did pure cardio, there's nothing to be afraid of in the first month after that. If you're talking about abs, then I find it quite ok. It's not crazy and it's not cardio :)

I'm starting to hate recovery. I just can't hold the squats / lunges anywhere close to them, and this table top balance thing ia beyond me...
Thanks for that motivation. I need it. Lol I just don't want to do both especially since I've never done abs yet.

LaneDS

Planks. Planks and more planks. I've totally thrown out Ab Ripper since it doesn't do much at all for core strength.

Try this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-wlA5lXoYCg

Helped a ton with my core and I didn't need to pressure the back area. Any chance you're doing squats/deadlifts too?

That video looks great, thank you. I'll try to incorporate it tonight after doing shoulders & arms.

I'm not doing deadlifts, and the only squats I'm currently doing are the ones in X1 legs & back which are (a) not a lot of squats and (b) pretty tame. My core is and has almost always been very strong, but my lower back has been very weak and almost immediatly hurts when I do Ab Ripper (X1 is much worse for pain than X2 ARX is). Even if i concentrate on my form it will hurt before the first move (in and outs) finishes. So I will definitely do more planks, since I remember those being good (can't remember if they're much more prominent in X2 or not)

Help me out on shakes guys.

I tried Shakeology and it was pretty good (thanks Scuba Steve!)

However, I want to know if it's the best for money.

My goal is to have a shake for breakfast that gets me all the health and nutrient benefits but doesn't taste like shit.

The best tasting for me is the Vanilla flavor of Muscle Milk. Despite how much I like it, I know there are clearly better options out there so I'd like help in exploring.

The less complicated the better also. Since it'll be in the morning before work, I don't have the time or patience for some complicated recipe.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Help me out on shakes guys.

I tried Shakeology and it was pretty good (thanks Scuba Steve!)

However, I want to know if it's the best for money.

My goal is to have a shake for breakfast that gets me all the health and nutrient benefits but doesn't taste like shit.

The best tasting for me is the Vanilla flavor of Muscle Milk. Despite how much I like it, I know there are clearly better options out there so I'd like help in exploring.

The less complicated the better also. Since it'll be in the morning before work, I don't have the time or patience for some complicated recipe.

Glad you liked it!

One thing to remember about Muscle Milk -- that's a protein shake, and not really meant as a meal replacement. So what you want to do is compare other meal replacement shakes. I'd do a google search on "meal replacement shakes" & see what you find.

I'm biased and really like Shakeology and will of course recommend it, but I haven't had any experience with the others so you should definitely do some research. There's a ton of info at my shakeology site so you can compare & contrast that info with what you find elsewhere for other products.

That video looks great, thank you. I'll try to incorporate it tonight after doing shoulders & arms.

I'm not doing deadlifts, and the only squats I'm currently doing are the ones in X1 legs & back which are (a) not a lot of squats and (b) pretty tame. My core is and has almost always been very strong, but my lower back has been very weak and almost immediatly hurts when I do Ab Ripper (X1 is much worse for pain than X2 ARX is). Even if i concentrate on my form it will hurt before the first move (in and outs) finishes. So I will definitely do more planks, since I remember those being good (can't remember if they're much more prominent in X2 or not)

I had a herniated disc resulting from doing something wrong way back then, and I just find planks to be really great at resolving lower back issues. Bodyweight squats should be able to help your lower back, and once the pain goes away you may want to consider other lower body exercises. But I've found planks to be just simply awesome especially combined in workouts like the Yoga X2 (I hate X1's version).

So, today was the first time in about 4 months I've done Chest & Back and the first time I've done it since I finished P90X2. My push up numbers went up a little bit, but holy cow did my pull up numbers really jum up

1st time around: 241 total push ups with stands, 24 unassisted pull ups, 30 assisted
2nd time around: 248 total push ups with stands, 69 unassisted pull ups, 0 assisted

Still can't quite match the "kids" in the video, but I'm getting close!

For me, the most impressive part is that I did this work out about 45 minutes after playing a hour of pick up basketball. I feel like I'm turning into a decent athlete!

LaneDS

So, today was the first time in about 4 months I've done Chest & Back and the first time I've done it since I finished P90X2. My push up numbers went up a little bit, but holy cow did my pull up numbers really jum up

1st time around: 241 total push ups with stands, 24 unassisted pull ups, 30 assisted
2nd time around: 248 total push ups with stands, 69 unassisted pull ups, 0 assisted

Still can't quite match the "kids" in the video, but I'm getting close!

For me, the most impressive part is that I did this work out about 45 minutes after playing a hour of pick up basketball. I feel like I'm turning into a decent athlete!

Your progress in general is some of the most inspiring stuff in this thread, in my opinion. Especially your original driving force with your friend. Keep up the awesome work!

Shoulders & arms done tonight. Strength slowing returning. Legs & back tomorrow, yoga Saturday. Feeling good.

Your progress in general is some of the most inspiring stuff in this thread, in my opinion. Especially your original driving force with your friend. Keep up the awesome work!

Shoulders & arms done tonight. Strength slowing returning. Legs & back tomorrow, yoga Saturday. Feeling good.

How's your back so far?

Been out of the loop with this thread for a while. Still doing p90x but was looking at trying something different. Was going to give insanity a try but now I hear about this t25. Is it basically insanity but shorter? Wondering if I should wait till that comes out. I can grab insanity for $40 on craigslist.

Going from an hour a day working out to 25 minutes seems like a step back, though. Not sure if t25 is for people who have done p90x and insanity.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Been out of the loop with this thread for a while. Still doing p90x but was looking at trying something different. Was going to give insanity a try but now I hear about this t25. Is it basically insanity but shorter? Wondering if I should wait till that comes out. I can grab insanity for $40 on craigslist.

Going from an hour a day working out to 25 minutes seems like a step back, though. Not sure if t25 is for people who have done p90x and insanity.

Watch this video. T25 looks like the real deal.

I'm going to start another round of Body Beast and do T25 concurrently.

Menaged

It's never gonna be easy, is it?
I finished week 3 today (plyo - insanity) and it's hard as always.
It was easliy one of my best workouts up until now, but because of that it's hard...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
How much is Shakeology and could I use it to replace lunch? If it's close to what I pay for lunch already I may consider.

It's never gonna be easy, is it?
I finished week 3 today (plyo - insanity) and it's hard as always.
It was easliy one of my best workouts up until now, but because of that it's hard...

It'll be easier, but never easy. Pain is weakness leaving the body!

Insanity Pure Cardio for me tonight. Might be the only Insanity workout I look forward to due to the no repeat moves structure.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
How much is Shakeology and could I use it to replace lunch? If it's close to what I pay for lunch already I may consider.

It's $129.95 for either a 30 serving bag or 24 individual packets. Shipping is around $12, but shipping is free if you order it on "Home Direct" automatic monthly shipping (which is what I do).

On Home Direct, the 30 serving bags work out to be about $4.50 per serving including tax. And yes, you can definitely replace lunch with it. That's what my wife does. I have mine in the morning.

Remember too, if I'm your coach I can send you a free sample.

LaneDS

How's your back so far?

No real change (so nothing terrible but not great either). Tonight I'm going to try and incorporate planks and the video you linked earlier, since I'll have the time to mix it up some. Will report in after that + legs & back (love how much more accountable I feel when I'm active with the thread).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Three days since a Hawkian sighting in the Beachbody thread! Please bring it and then report progress.

Signed-
Your BB pals
That's what's up. Good looking out Lane :D

A dead home PC has definitely thrown off my regular thread rotation. Hoping I can get the thing back up and running by the end of the weekend but bleh. Anyway I definitely should keep checking in from my laptop anyway so I appreciate the PM. Return to Chest and Back tonight....

FOOTE

Totally missed this. Great news.

So. A lot of people seem to want to get T25. I know Coach Steve might get the thing early, but who's up for a big group run when it finally comes out?

Proudly coming up on week six on P90 and thinking of moving onto level 3-4 this coming week. Haven't ever posted here, but just wanted to thank the OP for putting together a great thread and helping get me motivated to push myself a bit further physically.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Did the second Core Syn of the week tonight. Improved on all my numbers from the first one. Feels good, man.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Totally missed this. Great news.

So. A lot of people seem to want to get T25. I know Coach Steve might get the thing early, but who's up for a big group run when it finally comes out?

I'm going to be running a challenge group, it'd be great if everyone was in on it. Make me your coach and I'll get everyone added to the group. I was planning to run it in this thread and in a closed Facebook group. Daily accountability posts from everyone, and I'll be sharing info & insights about the workouts as the program progresses.

First week of Insanity down, already pushing. Another 8 weeks of this madness to go. First 4 hours of Kickboxing tomorrow though, rest on Sunday, carry on with Insanity on Monday

Top Bottom