• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The fuck? lmao:

182539_10151599279257248_93885548_n.jpg

Totally missed this. Great news.

So. A lot of people seem to want to get T25. I know Coach Steve might get the thing early, but who's up for a big group run when it finally comes out?

I'm going to be running a challenge group, it'd be great if everyone was in on it. Make me your coach and I'll get everyone added to the group. I was planning to run it in this thread and in a closed Facebook group. Daily accountability posts from everyone, and I'll be sharing info & insights about the workouts as the program progresses.
I'd be down for this. Only issue is the price of T25 at launch. I may have to wait until it hits craigslist and I can buy second hand.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I am a week down of doing Cardio X and Core once a day each. Trying to just get into some form of shape before I start the real deal. I have not had a soda or fast/junk food in almost 2 weeks and I feel pretty great.

Korosenai

Insanity Fit Test - Part 2

Switch Kicks - 111 ---> 120

Power Jacks - 35 ---> 39

Power Knees - Left 76 / Right 74 ---> Left 90 / Right 90

Power Jumps - 35 ---> 45

Globe Jumps - 10 ---> 11

Suicide Jumps - 14 ---> 17

Push Up Jacks - 19 ---> 24

Low Plank Oblique - 37 ---> 52

I'm really proud of myself in how much I improved with Power Jumps. Everytime those fuckers showed up during the dvd's I pushed myself as hard as I could. Obviously it payed off. Wish I could have done more Globe Jumps, but i'm glad it at least went up by one. I was also really surprised to see how many more Low Plank Obliques I could do.

LaneDS

Hah, I saw that on my feed yesterday Steelo and cracked up. Tony can sometimes be a very funny dude.

I'd be down for the T25 group, but I know I won't be able to cardio in my home until mid-August so I'll probably not be able to join y'all.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Twisted my ankle pretty good last night. I'll be off insanity for a week at the least. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to start when I return. Do I pick up where I left off? Or maybe I should just start week one over. FUCK I'm so disappointed I feel like a failure.

Twisted my ankle pretty good last night. I'll be off insanity for a week at the least. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to start when I return. Do I pick up where I left off? Or maybe I should just start week one over. FUCK I'm so disappointed I feel like a failure.

If you end up being out of commission for the week I'd recommend starting the week over. Don't beat yourself up over injuries. They will happen, and you will recover from them.

Korosenai

Sorry man :(

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I do not like having no PC :"(

Oof, get well Eloquent. That happened to me on my second cyle first day Plyometrics. I remember the feeling of disappointment well. Just take it easy, think about how relatively minor an injury it is and you'll be back in the game soon.

I don't think you should start over unless you wanted to anyway. You'll be extra-spry when you get back into it too. Just pick up where you left off, I'd say.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I guess my modified recovery week (a bunch of cardio, really) did something, because I woke up today at my lowest weight ever after sort of plateauing for a bit. I'm not really even trying to lose weight anymore, but if I can keep burning fat, than that's great.

I guess my modified recovery week (a bunch of cardio, really) did something, because I woke up today at my lowest weight ever after sort of plateauing for a bit. I'm not really even trying to lose weight anymore, but if I can keep burning fat, than that's great.

Good for you man. I've read on the beachbody forums that recovery weeks can do that to you. I'm not sure why, but seems to be a common occurance.

Side note, I just ran 10 miles in 1:17:27. Never thought I'd be able to run 10 miles, let alone that fast. I'm gonna feel this tomorrow though! Gonna get more stretching and foam rolling in now

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Tony's a nut. Here's a tip for you youngsters -- just because you're a grown up doesn't mean you can't goof around :)

Insanity Fit Test - Part 2

Switch Kicks - 111 ---> 120

Power Jacks - 35 ---> 39

Power Knees - Left 76 / Right 74 ---> Left 90 / Right 90

Power Jumps - 35 ---> 45

Globe Jumps - 10 ---> 11

Suicide Jumps - 14 ---> 17

Push Up Jacks - 19 ---> 24

Low Plank Oblique - 37 ---> 52

I'm really proud of myself in how much I improved with Power Jumps. Everytime those fuckers showed up during the dvd's I pushed myself as hard as I could. Obviously it payed off. Wish I could have done more Globe Jumps, but i'm glad it at least went up by one. I was also really surprised to see how many more Low Plank Obliques I could do.

Nice numbers!!! You're killing it :) Shaun T recently did Insanity himself, and he was able to do 16 globe jumps in his final fit test. I need to see video of that 'cause I can't even see how that's humanly possible :-D

Hah, I saw that on my feed yesterday Steelo and cracked up. Tony can sometimes be a very funny dude.

I'd be down for the T25 group, but I know I won't be able to cardio in my home until mid-August so I'll probably not be able to join y'all.

If its like other groups I've been in, there'll be new people rolling in all the time. You'll always be welcome.

I injured my ankle during Insanity too (though it was during a workout, got too close to a sofa behind me doing switch kicks). It sucks, but it happens. Take a break, and like others said you can restart the week you're on or restart at day one, whichever you feel is right. Get an ankle wrap and work out with it for the first couple weeks you're back. But don't get discouraged. Stuff happens. You'll get back to your workouts & do just fine.

Nice! I'm finally gaining weight in Body Beast Bulk phase, it's weird to want to do that!

RM8

Guess I should post here!

Background: I'm an underweight 25 years old male. I'm uber sedentary, except for walking which I do a ton but it really hasn't given me any condition/stamina. I have two goals: I need to improve my stamina, I feel like I'm in terrible shape :/ I want to be able to run without feeling like I'm about to die afterwards, lol. And I want a toned look as a long term goal. I'm 25, I fear these goals will get even more difficult to achieve down the road.

I have been wanting to try Insanity for a while and I decided to start next Monday - but just for the lulz I did the "fit test" yesterday since I have the DVDs already. Again, I wanted to be shot by the end of it, lol. I realize I'll slowly get better with dedication, but no joke it was a bit... disheartening to realize just how out of shape I am :p And this is only the fit test! I'm probably going to be found dead in my house by next Tuesday.

Then today I decided to try it again (I just finished!), and I think I did a bit better than yesterday, but that's because yesterday it was late and after a day of work I was somewhat tired. I can already feel my legs will be aching all week long :S

So yeah, I just wanted to say hi! I'll probably be posting around here :p If I don't it's going to be embarrassing because it means I gave up, right? Hope I can find motivation to keep going with this!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Welcome aboard! And don't feel discouraged -- Insanity is supposed to be hard! Just do your best and follow the schedule. I also recommend following the nutrition plan, it'll help you reach your goals.

gotoadgo

Have had my first rest day and my muscles are starting to recover faster already. I don't feel anywhere near as sore as I did a week ago which is great. Pure cardio again tomorrow >:) gonna kill it!

big_z

Going from an hour a day working out to 25 minutes seems like a step back, though. Not sure if t25 is for people who have done p90x and insanity.

in the first month of insanity the actual workout portion is only about 20-25 minutes. the other 15 minutes is warm up, and stretching. have they said how the warm up and stretch(if any) factors into t25? if the entirety of each workout never exceeds 25 minutes then it might be a step back but if the 25 minutes is the hardcore part then it will be like a boxset of insanity cardio days and if thats the case, im in. pure cardio days are my fav because theres no breaks and being on my 5-6th go of insanity im up for something new.

For a vast majority of people, these programs are an inflated waste of money. I work in health care and I know of at least seven coworkers that have bought one of these programs, did the program for a week, and then said fuck it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
For a vast majority of people, these programs are an inflated waste of money. I work in health care and I know of at least seven coworkers that have bought one of these programs, did the program for a week, and then said fuck it.

That does happen. It's hard to stay committed to a 30 or 60 or 90 day fitness program. You're certainly not going to have success of you quit.

But that's where communities like this thread come in. That's where Beachbody coaches can help. It's easier to stick with a fitness program if you're participating in it with others. Posting about your workouts, getting encouragement and support, and encouraging others yourself. It helps.

But people not sticking with a program doesn't invalidate the program. Most everyone in this thread has successfully completed at least one video workout program and achieved great results. They DO work. But you have to stick with it. Not doing so is a personal choice, and no reflection on the program itself.

Korosenai

Started week 3 of Insanity, feels really good. I have some new creatine on the way, beast creature. Gonna try it out and see if it helps any.

That does happen. It's hard to stay committed to a 30 or 60 or 90 day fitness program. You're certainly not going to have success of you quit.

But that's where communities like this thread come in. That's where Beachbody coaches can help. It's easier to stick with a fitness program if you're participating in it with others. Posting about your workouts, getting encouragement and support, and encouraging others yourself. It helps.

But people not sticking with a program doesn't invalidate the program. Most everyone in this thread has successfully completed at least one video workout program and achieved great results. They DO work. But you have to stick with it. Not doing so is a personal choice, and no reflection on the program itself.

The last paragraph was very well said. Lots of truth in this post.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This is a problem that is not at all exclusive to these or any other workout-at-home programs. People resolve to start dieting, exercising, going to the gym, etc. repeatedly and fail probably more often than not.

If you ask me, these programs are better than joining a gym or setting out on your own because they tell you exactly what to do every day for several months. They don't give you the option of indecisiveness, which I personally always used to struggle with when deciding what to do to get fitter. Hopefully, if you can grind it out for a while, you'll start to see results and, in turn, gain more and more motivation to stick with it.

My fiancé and I doing it together is what keeps us going.

We talk about it a lot; how going solo gives you reasons to quit.

With both of us doing it, we can push each other, not skip days, pause workouts for longer breaks or cut the workout short for whatever reason.

Going solo is likely the biggest reason for quitting. Doing it someone else who can push you through rough days and vice versa is the key.

apesh1t

Banned
This is the third time I've started P90x, and I feel way more committed to it this time. I'm currently at day 31, and finally got through an entire session of yoga.

I never had to lose weight (6'2 170) I just wanted a bigger upper body, but now when ever I do the weight training (with bands) my lower back hurts really bad. It's really stiff right now, but I've had a bad back my entire life. Some time baths help but not always. Any suggestions?

in the first month of insanity the actual workout portion is only about 20-25 minutes. the other 15 minutes is warm up, and stretching. have they said how the warm up and stretch(if any) factors into t25? if the entirety of each workout never exceeds 25 minutes then it might be a step back but if the 25 minutes is the hardcore part then it will be like a boxset of insanity cardio days and if thats the case, im in. pure cardio days are my fav because theres no breaks and being on my 5-6th go of insanity im up for something new.
I actually decided today to buy Insanity off craigslist and try that first. Picking it up in an hour. I figure I can finish Insanity and by the time 60 days rolls around T25 will be out and I'll see if its the next step for me or if I can borrow it off someone/buy used.

I actually stopped working out to the DVDs of P90x after a few weeks. Once I got the hang of the form and moves list, I found that I worked out better without looking at the screen constantly and trying to mime everything Tony and crew were doing. I don't know if anyone else does this. I've done three rounds or so of P90x now and have every move in my memory. That's why for me as a poor student, I can't justify paying over $100 for these DVDs. P90x was loaned to me by my brother and Insanity I'm getting for $35. I can live with that. I'll see if Insanity is the same after I get to know all the workouts if I feel the need to exercise along with the DVDs.
If you ask me, these programs are better than joining a gym or setting out on your own because they tell you exactly what to do every day for several months. They don't give you the option of indecisiveness, which I personally always used to struggle with when deciding what to do to get fitter. Hopefully, if you can grind it out for a while, you'll start to see results and, in turn, gain more and more motivation to stick with it.
They absolutely are better. I need a regimented program. I love that it is all laid out for me. Just do it. Simple. It works. Done.

pubba

I'm too fat for Insanity.

Actually, I started the couch to 5k treadmill program at my gym a few months ago, and have fucked up my knees.

Went to get X-rays yesterday and my doc said to rest for 2 weeks.

I'm 264 pounds and need to lose weight because I just had a kid and I want to be around for a long time.

Trigger

About to finish my first week of X after having stopped during the spring semester. I've forgotten how much I like the Kenpo X workout. Yoga still sucks just as much as I remember it.

Actually, I started the couch to 5k treadmill program at my gym a few months ago, and have fucked up my knees.

I'm 264 pounds and need to lose weight because I just had a kid and I want to be around for a long time.
Couch to 5k is awesome. Great thing to start with. Although if you fucked up your knees it may be better to just ride the bicycle for a bit so you can put less pressure on your lower body. Don't stress out not being able to work out for two weeks. Cliche I know, but diet is the ultimate key.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
About to finish my first week of X after having stopped during the spring semester. I've forgotten how much I like the Kenpo X workout. Yoga still sucks just as much as I remember it.
I've done Kenpo with 3lb Wrist or Ankle weights (working back up to that level now) and it is a seriously great workout with that handicap. Like, drenching. Recommended if you want a little more out of it!

EloquentM

aka Mannny
You know what eff it I'm just going to do yesterday's pure cardio today and ice my ankle and soak it. My mom use to be a physical therapist so I'll have her take a look at it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Wait, so waste of money is now determined by a person's drive and not the quality of the product? I guess people can blame pizza for gaining weight and not their inability to quit eating it.

In the same vein as your note one could say a gym membership is a waste of money if someone doesn't have the determination to go. That doesn't speak to the quality of the gym, it speaks to the person's motivation.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Lol wow at that logic.

Wait, so waste of money is now determined by a person's drive and not the quality of the product? I guess people can blame pizza for gaining weight and not their inability to quit eating it.

In the same vein as your note one could say a gym membership is a waste of money if someone doesn't have the determination to go.
Ironically people do say that! Haha

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I was 240 when I started doing couch to 5k followed by p90X followed by Insanity. I'm now 200. Insanity has no max weight, you just have to work to the level of your ability. You can go as easy as you need to go. As long as you're doing something you are moving towards your goal.

big_z

I figured people would jump on wreckage after his dumbshit comment. It's true most people will quit but that applies to anything involving exercise. When out of shape people first jump into exercising its quite a shock to them just how out of shape they really are and how much work is required. For those that truly want to get in shape they will stick with it, the rest will remain lazy and fat jumping from gimmick and fads until they too are determined enough to put in the effort.

I'm too fat for insanity.

You are not too fat for insanity, its all a out pushing yourself within your current limits. if you do that you will improve and get in shape. however if you have bad knees or back it might not be or you. Theres quite a bit of jumping.

FOOTE

Sucks for them I guess. If they quit or can't complete a program for whatever reason and don't have the desire, will, and/or motivation to eventually finish. Then yeah, they wasted their money.

However, all of these programs are real true work outs that, if you stick to it, will bring you increbile results.

Just like with most every thing in life, you get what you put in.

Pubba, you aren't too fat. You can modify and go slower. If your knees are an issue though I understand that. Maybe P90 or P90x would be better. Trust me, you'll still sh read that fat with one of those two.

Menaged

Pure cardio was my bitch today. Cardio abs got my number though.

Good to hear :)
I think I'm doint quite well with cario abs, or I'm doing something wrong...
The first 2:30 minutes (not warm up) I'm doing great, and then I have trouble with the "double-leg" exercise, but because of my legs, not my abs. The low plank and the last are tough as hell, but I'm doing them quite good. Maybe now that I've upped cardio abs to 3 times a week it will get easier...

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Good to hear :)
I think I'm doint quite well with cario abs, or I'm doing something wrong...
The first 2:30 minutes (not warm up) I'm doing great, and then I have trouble with the "double-leg" exercise, but because of my legs, not my abs. The low plank and the last are tough as hell, but I'm doing them quite good. Maybe now that I've upped cardio abs to 3 times a week it will get easier...
The double leg workout is insane! I can't do it either. I may double up on cardio abs as well. The workouts for it are great.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Operating under the sanguine assumption that this wasn't a drive-by, I'd take issue with "vast majority," "inflated" and the assertion that the field you work in makes your anecdote somehow more valuable...

Where are you getting "vast majority?" I'd love to see the ratios of how many people, for example, meet their personal fitness goals and ascribe the credit to buying a treadmill, a gym membership, diet changes alone, a non-Beachbody workout program, sports, etc. compared to these workouts. But we don't have those numbers to my knowledge, so it's unusual to see something like that stated with such conviction based just on your personal observation.

As to inflated, it's a waste of money if you don't take advantage of it. So is exercise machinery, a gym membership, buying supplements, a new bike or free weights. So are healthy cooking ingredients, for that matter. But why your "at least seven" examples of people who were not motivated to stick with the program should invalidate the program itself is beyond me. Actually, if you're describing their behavior accurately, I'd say the fact that they said "fuck it" after a week is specifically not related to the programs in question. There is basically nothing that you can do within a single week in terms of physical fitness to get an accurate picture of the value of what you were doing.

Yes, if you buy a program and do a single week of exercise from it, it's an enormous waste of money. It gets pretty murky beyond that though.

If you stick with it for a month without any other lifestyle changes, you may still have wasted your money, but you'll have done yourself a solid for that month anyway. Something is better than nothing. If you stick with it for two months and make accompanying changes to your nutrition to help out, I'd say you officially didn't waste any. Just those two months of diet alteration and exercise can make a huge impact on your overall fitness. If you, as I have, complete a full cycle more than once, the program actually becomes a pretty good value in terms of what you might pay over the same timeframe in terms of other structured exercise regiments like a gym schedule.

Finally, I'm just not understanding why you brought up the fact that you work in healthcare. Does that make them more or less likely to stick with intensive exercise? :p

Menaged

I'm supposed to do recovery on Wednesday, but I might have a problem since tons of people are coming over for a holiday and we have a big lunch.
I might be able to do it, but do you think worst case scenario I can skip it? I feel good, not sore or anything

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'm supposed to do recovery on Wednesday, but I might have a problem since tons of people are coming over for a holiday and we have a big lunch.
I might be able to do it, but do you think worst case scenario I can skip it? I feel good, not sore or anything
Recovery is a really short video. It also doesn't work you out as much. I think it'd still be beneficial to do it though.

gotoadgo

Plyometric circuit is just brutal in my opinion, worse than pure cardio. It just ruins your legs by the end of it. Thankfully it's recovery day tomorrow :D

SmokeMaxX

P90X Attempt 3 (or 4?). Let's see if I get past the two week mark this time haha. No midterms/Finals to get in the way like the other times and I actually have to have a strict schedule this summer because of a standardized test.

mm04

Operating under the sanguine assumption that this wasn't a drive-by, I'd take issue with "vast majority," "inflated" and the assertion that the field you work in makes your anecdote somehow more valuable...

Where are you getting "vast majority?" I'd love to see the ratios of how many people, for example, meet their personal fitness goals and ascribe the credit to buying a treadmill, a gym membership, diet changes alone, a non-Beachbody workout program, sports, etc. compared to these workouts. But we don't have those numbers to my knowledge, so it's unusual to see something like that stated with such conviction based just on your personal observation.

As to inflated, it's a waste of money if you don't take advantage of it. So is exercise machinery, a gym membership, buying supplements, a new bike or free weights. So are healthy cooking ingredients, for that matter. But why your "at least seven" examples of people who were not motivated to stick with the program should invalidate the program itself is beyond me. Actually, if you're describing their behavior accurately, I'd say the fact that they said "fuck it" after a week is specifically not related to the programs in question. There is basically nothing that you can do within a single week in terms of physical fitness to get an accurate picture of the value of what you were doing.

Yes, if you buy a program and do a single week of exercise from it, it's an enormous waste of money. It gets pretty murky beyond that though.

If you stick with it for a month without any other lifestyle changes, you may still have wasted your money, but you'll have done yourself a solid for that month anyway. Something is better than nothing. If you stick with it for two months and make accompanying changes to your nutrition to help out, I'd say you officially didn't waste any. Just those two months of diet alteration and exercise can make a huge impact on your overall fitness. If you, as I have, complete a full cycle more than once, the program actually becomes a pretty good value in terms of what you might pay over the same timeframe in terms of other structured exercise regiments like a gym schedule.

Finally, I'm just not understanding why you brought up the fact that you work in healthcare. Does that make them more or less likely to stick with intensive exercise? :p

Well said. All his post proved to me is his co-workers are a bunch of quitters. I lost 30lbs over the last 20 months or so as a damn 42 year old doing this stuff. What the program provided for me was direction and a set time frame to accomplish it. If my old ass can do this, so can you young folks in this thread. I was motivated to start this program because my older co-worker completed a full round of P90X. I figured if he could do it, why couldn't I? Surround yourself with people who give up easily and you're likely to as well.

Top Bottom