• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

OchreHand

Kudos to you, I'm pretty sure I'd fail the first day if I had the week off from work.

Thanks! Yah you really notice the food advertising when you're not having any lol. But I will say that having "the big meal" post fast is a challenge in itself. I downed about 2800 calories in my 6 hour feed. Adding canola oil to my shake helps.

mehdi_san

Yeah I also found it easier to fast when I'm actually busy all day. On a busy day at work, it's great because fasting helps me with work, and working helps me with the fast lol

gotoadgo

First day back into Insanity after having 3 days off due to food poisoning :( felt bad skipping but probably would have done more harm than good trying to push it. Feels good to be back into it again.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I swear, Beast Cardio & Abs doesn't get any easier! Today was the 8th time I've done it and it's still a tough, tough workout.

Doing X2 Yoga today at my Fit Club. I haven't done a full Yoga workout since I finished up P90X2 in January, so I'm looking forward to it!

Menaged

I'm currently doing recovery week, and have a slight fever. I feel weak but if I'll push myself I can so it. What should I do? Skip a day or pushing through?

Edit: never mind, I feel worse now, ill just skip today. Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow

FOOTE

My vest came in finally... I've been in the process of moving myself and my family into two different houses for the last few weeks and my workouts have suffered. Going to restart P90x this Sunday when everyone is (hopefully) moved and settled.

My vest came in finally... I've been in the process of moving myself and my family into two different houses for the last few weeks and my workouts have suffered. Going to restart P90x this Sunday when everyone is (hopefully) moved and settled.

Nice! Adjustable vest?

Menaged

I won't be able to do revovery today as well because of my fever.
I've done the first 4 days, but missed the last two.
Tomorrow is supposed to be my day off.
What do I do? Continue to month 2 as planned, or change something?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I won't be able to do revovery today as well because of my fever.
I've done the first 4 days, but missed the last two.
Tomorrow is supposed to be my day off.
What do I do? Continue to month 2 as planned, or change something?

See how you're feeling tomorrow. if you're up to it, do your recovery day. Maybe you'll be well enough the day after to start month 2. If not, take another couple days off & then start month 2.

What's the vest for? Cardio? Pull ups?

We've been killed.

I blame you :p

Anyway, had a major cheat day today because of an ice cream social at work. Guessing I went like 600 calories more than I usually eat, and most of the food wasn't healthy!

Oh well, it'll give me extra energy to burn when I start my hybrid P90X/P90X2 round tomorrow.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
We've been killed.

To be honest, I'd long thought threads like this belonged in community. The problem now is discovery.

I suppose we can post threads about new Beachbody workouts or other related news in OT main and direct folks here, and (if it's not already there) mention in the OP that people should subscribe.

FOOTE

I blame you :p

Anyway, had a major cheat day today because of an ice cream social at work. Guessing I went like 600 calories more than I usually eat, and most of the food wasn't healthy!

Oh well, it'll give me extra energy to burn when I start my hybrid P90X/P90X2 round tomorrow.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it much. As long as it doesn't become too frequent, you'll be fine and it will keep you from going insane.

Whelp, I see we're a community thread now...

Anyways, I'm getting hyped...I'm about a week away from doing my first Spartan Race in NY (June 1st) I've never put myself to the test like this before. Any tips from Spartan or Tough Mudder Vets?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
So is this thing mainly for weight loss?
Weight loss is probably 75% diet, but exercise in conjunction will certainly help. Most Beachbody programs are about general, "functional" fitness — P90X/P90X2 specifically. There might be other exercise routines that help you to burn more fat, and faster, but these will help people of all fitness levels get in better shape.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
About to enter week 4 of p90x. Dropped 10lbs so far :)

This is my restart after my failed attempt a year ago :(

Congrats, great results so far! Glad you're sticking with it this time. It's definitely worth it!

Insanity month 2 is ridiculous.

Just got done with the first 3 (max interval/plyo/cardio).

Simply a different level than month 1 all the way around.

It's funny, Shaun T recently did Insanity himself & posted about it on Facebook. He said nearly the same thing when he got to the second month.

Whelp, I see we're a community thread now...

Anyways, I'm getting hyped...I'm about a week away from doing my first Spartan Race in NY (June 1st) I've never put myself to the test like this before. Any tips from Spartan or Tough Mudder Vets?

Haven't done them so no tips, but good luck & have fun! I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.

So is this thing mainly for weight loss?

What vatstep said. Beachbody has a bunch of fitness programs for every level of fitness. Most of them also include meal & nutrition planning tools. The most popular programs are P90X and P90X2, which combine cardio, strength, plyometrics, yoga and other workouts. Insanity is also hugely popular. It uses the concept of interval training with cardio, plyometric and body weight exercises to burn fat & build endurance. A newer program, Body Beast, is all about building muscle & strength.

Be sure to read the first post of the thread for more details.

Menaged

See how you're feeling tomorrow. if you're up to it, do your recovery day. Maybe you'll be well enough the day after to start month 2. If not, take another couple days off & then start month 2.

Thanks for the advice.
I feel great today so I think I'll do recovery today and jump to month 2 tomorrow, although my mother wants me to rest :p
I just don't want to ruin my routine, and I feel good, so what the heck.

trilobyte

Congrats, great results so far! Glad you're sticking with it this time. It's definitely worth it!

Thanks! Started at 259lbs. Now at 249lbs. Though not focusing on lbs so much. Just want to look better

To think in 2008 I was 350 0_o -- llooooong journey but I'm hoping P90x helps me off the rest of the fat.

Well, after a week of kind of shit eating, I'm starting my hybrid of P90X/P90X2. I weighed in today at 142.4 pounds and 10.4% body fat. Gonna try to eat pretty healthy this week aside from memorial day!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Uh, when did this wind up in community?
Couple days ago, along with a ton of other threads. There's a sticky in the OT.

Start using subscriptions if you don't already, people!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's so cold and scary in here though!

edit: After reading the stickied rationale, I'm not satisfied :-/

Certainly people have formed communal bonds in here and the thread is not constantly updated with new news, but the major asset this thread provided for the forum was the opening for people just getting into these programs or even ones who had never heard of them to get information, encouragement and advice on getting started. It's how I decided to do P90X for the first time. Now they'll never see it! :(

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Weight loss is probably 75% diet, but exercise in conjunction will certainly help. Most Beachbody programs are about general, "functional" fitness — P90X/P90X2 specifically. There might be other exercise routines that help you to burn more fat, and faster, but these will help people of all fitness levels get in better shape.

What vatstep said. Beachbody has a bunch of fitness programs for every level of fitness. Most of them also include meal & nutrition planning tools. The most popular programs are P90X and P90X2, which combine cardio, strength, plyometrics, yoga and other workouts. Insanity is also hugely popular. It uses the concept of interval training with cardio, plyometric and body weight exercises to burn fat & build endurance. A newer program, Body Beast, is all about building muscle & strength.

Be sure to read the first post of the thread for more details.

Great, thanks for the responses! I'm not really looking to lose weight, except for maybe a little around my stomach area - truth be told I'm pretty skinny and could use to gain a few pounds - but I really need to get in shape. I suppose P90X would be the way to go...

vatstep

It's so cold and scary in here though!

edit: After reading the stickied rationale, I'm not satisfied :-/

Certainly people have formed communal bonds in here and the thread is not constantly updated with new news, but the major asset this thread provided for the forum was the opening for people just getting into these programs or even ones who had never heard of them to get information, encouragement and advice on getting started. It's how I decided to do P90X for the first time. Now they'll never see it! :(
Yeah, I agree. For those of us that've been around a while, it's difficult to adjust to having essentially TWO OTs. Hopefully, though, for new members it won't seem so strange to come here and browse around, enabling new recruits to stop in and partake in the thread.

Same here, I wouldn't be doing Insanity right now if I hadn't seen this thread and wondered what it was about. I can sorta understand the mods reasoning but it definitely hurts threads like this.

Also anyone got any tips to force myself to eat healthy? I did ok in week 1 but week 2 has not been good.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The best we can do is try to keep this on the first page of OTC, and to post "news" threads in OT when appropriate, linking here. For example we can start a Focus T25 news thread leading up to launch and direct folks here. We can also direct people here when there people post fitness questions and threads.

I ordered Hip Hop Abs since it's on sale, as well as Shaun T's kids' fitness video program for my son. I'll report in on Hip Hop Abs. I figured it'd be fun to pop in every once in a while for a family workout. And I think my son will get a kick out of seeing a workout program made for & with kids. The 3 of us do Tony Horton's Fat Burning Express every once in a while (including just a short time ago, having spent the entire day in the car.)

Tomorrow's my last day of the Bulk phase of Body Beast, then it's 4 weeks of Beast Phase. Can't wait for Focus 25!

Tips for forcing yourself to eat healthy:
First, get rid of all the unhealthy food in your house. Less temptation.
Make your lunches & bring them with you. This'll help you avoid going out for lunch.
Prepare dinners ahead of time so you don't have a long prep when you get home.

But most importantly, you need to identify your motivation -- why do you want to lose weight/get in shape? Once you've figured that out, you need to remind yourself of that whenever you feel like going off the wagon.

vatstep

Excuse the random update, but I'm still doing P90X and just hit the end of week 3.

Finding it tough to keep going as I continue to up the weights and not enjoying Yoga much at all, but still plugging along. Can't say I'm changing much diet wise, but I generally ate reasonably well anyway.

Still, seems to be working out so far even at an early stage.

progress_week310ueg.png

tmarques

Finding it tough to keep going as I continue to up the weights and not enjoying Yoga much at all, but still plugging along.

I've been doing yoga for 12 years now, and I've never seen someone cram so many vinyasas into a routine only to drop them completely halfway through. Even in Ashtanga Vinyasa they are only done between postures - doing them when changing sides of the same posture is overkill. Have no desire to do it again although it was reassuring to see the black guy maintain his flexibility even with all that muscle. He's my new idol.

Also, does anyone have a problem with one side of the body being a lot stronger than the other? My left shoulder in particular barely gets to the end of a set while the right one could still do the whole thing again. Very frustrating. I suppose using different weights would be a stupid idea?

End of Insanity, week 2. Lost 4 pounds. Pure cardio the second time wasn't as bad...

Also: Subbed. Doing Insanity with a friend is great, although doing it outside in the hot and humid Florida sun sucks.

Menaged

Same here, I wouldn't be doing Insanity right now if I hadn't seen this thread and wondered what it was about. I can sorta understand the mods reasoning but it definitely hurts threads like this.

Also anyone got any tips to force myself to eat healthy? I did ok in week 1 but week 2 has not been good.

Like Steve said, I think motivation is key. I came back from a 10 days holiday with my parents and breakfast alone was crazy (bacon, eggs, butter etc.), and I think coming back it was an incentive to my to eat better.

Also, I gave away bad stuff (I have some mini Mars for emergencies) and have a lot of stuff half-ready. I cook rice \ kinoa that lasts me for a couple of days, and with that I defrost stuff that my mom made me such as meat balls. Later I eat chicken breast or salad which are quite easy and fast to make.

So basically, what everyone else said :p

Also, if it's kinda chilly where you're at, I think soup can be great. Just put tons of vegies in it so it will be filling, tasty and I presume low-cal.

Menaged

:'(

I know it's supposed to be hard, but christ!
Maybe I shouldn't, but I just feel dissapointed with myself. I can try and blame the fit test or my recent fever, but I felt like I wasn't up to it at ALL.

The thing is that in the cardio aspect I felt quite alright, but it were my muscles that gave up quite fast, especialy in the floor switch kicks. after like 10 seconds I felt my triceps exploding, so I stopped hopping.

Again, I know I shouldn't feel that bad with myself, but it really took the wind out of my sails...

Does it get better like month 1? It just sucks that I was feeling good with myself, being in good shape, and then BAM!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
:'(

I know it's supposed to be hard, but christ!
Maybe I shouldn't, but I just feel dissapointed with myself. I can try and blame the fit test or my recent fever, but I felt like I wasn't up to it at ALL.

The thing is that in the cardio aspect I felt quite alright, but it were my muscles that gave up quite fast, especialy in the floor switch kicks. after like 10 seconds I felt my triceps exploding, so I stopped hopping.

Again, I know I shouldn't feel that bad with myself, but it really took the wind out of my sails...

Does it get better like month 1? It just sucks that I was feeling good with myself, being in good shape, and then BAM!

Remember how you felt on day one of month one, and how you felt at the end of month one? Keep with it and that's how you'll feel at the end of month 2. Part of the reason month 2 is so hard is because you're used to going hard for two rounds, and now you have to do it for three. You're now building endurance.

Just stick with it, don't press pause, and do your best and you'll do fine.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Beast Phase begins! Woah, 1000 calorie per day drop! Shouldn't be too hard -- it was all I could do to get in 3000 calories per day anyway, and I'm used to going low carb.

I'm going to do a few substitutions. In week 3 of Beast Phase I'll substitute in the Tempo variants instead of the Build variants of Chest/Tris and Back/Bis, and on the weeks where two Cardio Abs are scheduled, I'll do Total Body instead of the second Cardio Abs.

Menaged

Remember how you felt on day one of month one, and how you felt at the end of month one? Keep with it and that's how you'll feel at the end of month 2. Part of the reason month 2 is so hard is because you're used to going hard for two rounds, and now you have to do it for three. You're now building endurance.

Just stick with it, don't press pause, and do your best and you'll do fine.

Thanks for the pep talk!
I'm definitely gonna stick with it. I didn't make it this far just to quit.

Today (max plyo) was much better. Still hard as hell, but better I reckon, although my last interval wasn't that good, mainly beacuse of bad balance and weird positions that I wasn't sure about.

I felt there was a very big emphasis on the chest. Crazy push ups in this workout. I only managed to do one set of level 3 drill each time, but I was proud of myself :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Beast Phase begins! Woah, 1000 calorie per day drop! Shouldn't be too hard -- it was all I could do to get in 3000 calories per day anyway, and I'm used to going low carb.

I'm going to do a few substitutions. In week 3 of Beast Phase I'll substitute in the Tempo variants instead of the Build variants of Chest/Tris and Back/Bis, and on the weeks where two Cardio Abs are scheduled, I'll do Total Body instead of the second Cardio Abs.
Whoa! Brief explanation of the big shift in calorie intake?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Whoa! Brief explanation of the big shift in calorie intake?

Each phase, you calculate your calorie budget. The formulas for phases 1 and 2 are the same, and you round up to a calorie level that's listed in a chart. The chart includes "portions" of food groups listed in the book that add up to that calorie level.

For phase three, the formula is different and yields a lower amount, and you round DOWN to one of the calorie levels listed in the book.

So my phase 1 and 2 calories were 2839, round up to 3000 in the chart.

My phase 3 calories are 2098, and I round down to 2000 in the chart.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What's the purpose of changing your calorie budget from phase to phase? Big difference in the amount burned every day?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
What's the purpose of changing your calorie budget from phase to phase? Big difference in the amount burned every day?

Phases 1 and 2 are "Build" and "Bulk", and the macros are 25-50-25, Protein Carbs Fats. You're feeding your muscles in these phases to gain mass. You recalculate going into Build to account for any weight and body fat percentage changes.

The Beast phase is for bringing out muscle definition. The macros are now 40-30-30, Proteins Carbs Fats. The idea is to burn fat while keeping the muscle you've added.

Finished Week 1 of Month 2 for Insanity.

My core is actually aching and I really need the day off to recoup.

Having done all the different workouts on the discs, Max Plyo is by far the hardest to get through. It's brutal.

I can see how people give up on workout videos though. If my fiancé wasn't there to do it with me and for us to support eachother during "feeling like shit" days, it'd be easy to convince yourself to take random days off or extended breaks.

I highly recommend people who are looking to start these sort of workouts to do it with someone who will keep you honest and on track.

Top Bottom