• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Tony has gone full cheese in X3. It's bad, but still makes me laugh.

They've even given him custom music cues for some of his jokes :)

I did notice that the videos have a ton of audio options -- music volume, music with cues, even silent or silent with cues. Very thorough!

Lorien

Banned
They've even given him custom music cues for some of his jokes :)

I did notice that the videos have a ton of audio options -- music volume, music with cues, even silent or silent with cues. Very thorough!

Yes! The sound they play when he says "inter webs" really stands out. I'm digging the program so far, it's T25 taken to another level. I never found T25 challenging. I was more sore during week 1 of X3 than I ever was in T25.

Pyrokai

How's the cast of kids in X3 guys?

Hopefully better than X1.

Seriously, if they're not from the test group, I usually don't like them.

Edit: Also, what Beachbody communities, other than this thread and the official site, do you guys recommend? I can only think of Reddit, lol.

2ND EDIT LOL: I've been doing Ab Ripper on non-resistance days (so I do it on Plyo, Yoga, and Kenpo days). Is there anything particularly wrong with doing this? I can do it so much better on these days than on the days were I destroy myself. Resistance days are by far the worst for me. I dread them so much. Plyo is a cake-walk for me in comparison :p

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It's kind of odd that they have these options in the relatively obscure P90 Master Series, but so few of the other programs!

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Week 2 done.

I'm a bit conflicted as whether or not to continue or take a 2 week break to do a cut phase.

I don't lose fat well on these programs because I hate eating light and compromising lean tissue growth. I have gained nearly an inch on my waist and I need to cut it off or I won't have clothes that fit when Spring hits in Austin in a mere month or so. I donated all of my 32+" clothes a year ago vowing never again to allow my waist to get that large.

I'm hoping it's transient New Years + holidays weight but we'll see in a couple of days.

Otherwise I like the program. Workouts in phase 2 look great.

Another question before my p90x gets here Monday..

Is the p90x results and recovery drink a good idea? I know some kind of after workout drink or whatever can help. So is the p90x one good? Any better options out there?

alekth

2ND EDIT LOL: I've been doing Ab Ripper on non-resistance days (so I do it on Plyo, Yoga, and Kenpo days). Is there anything particularly wrong with doing this? I can do it so much better on these days than on the days were I destroy myself. Resistance days are by far the worst for me. I dread them so much. Plyo is a cake-walk for me in comparison :p

The whole beginners program (P90) has you doing abs on the cardio days, so very unlikely for it to be profoundly wrong.

Infinity

I'm about to start my second week of P90X3. The first week was pretty tough. 30 minutes isn't much, but Tony packs in a lot of high intensity workouts in that half-hour.

I've worked through P90, P90 Masters, and dabbled/mixed in P90X with masters, so while this isn't overly difficult, it is a good challenge and change of pace.

Would love to hear from other P90X3 participants!

LaneDS

Steve, just in case there is a newer or more preferable link to use, could you post up the X3 order link once again? Starting training seriously again after a December/Holiday drought and I want to have X3 to supplement with although I plan to focus on X1 and then X2 primarily (I figure one hour of working out will in most cases yield better results than a half hour!).

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Another question before my p90x gets here Monday..

Is the p90x results and recovery drink a good idea? I know some kind of after workout drink or whatever can help. So is the p90x one good? Any better options out there?

R&R tastes good and has what some consider an ideal ratio of carbs to protein for post-workout recovery. That said it does have a lot of calories, mostly from carbs, and if you're trying to burn fat it may not be the best thing for you, especially if you don't take it into account when planning the rest of your meals for the day.

I workout in the morning and drink Shakeology as my breakfast/recovery drink.

I'm about to start my second week of P90X3. The first week was pretty tough. 30 minutes isn't much, but Tony packs in a lot of high intensity workouts in that half-hour.

I've worked through P90, P90 Masters, and dabbled/mixed in P90X with masters, so while this isn't overly difficult, it is a good challenge and change of pace.

Would love to hear from other P90X3 participants!

I agree, P90X3 is excellent so far. Today will be Day 5 of Week 2 for my wife & I and I already feel stronger. Not even kidding.

Steve, just in case there is a newer or more preferable link to use, could you post up the X3 order link once again? Starting training seriously again after a December/Holiday drought and I want to have X3 to supplement with although I plan to focus on X1 and then X2 primarily (I figure one hour of working out will in most cases yield better results than a half hour!).

I'm not sure about the longer workouts yielding better results - the X3 workouts are really efficient! :)

http://bit.ly/1cyzmoq
P90X3 Base Kit: $119.85 + S&H
Includes 16 workouts on 8 DVDs, Fitness Guide, Nutrition Guide, 90 Day workout calendar, How to Accelerate Intro DVD, and P90X One-on-One: On One Leg DVD.

http://bit.ly/18RQ2sc
P90X3 Deluxe Kit: $239.70 + S&H
Everything in the Base Kit, plus 3 Elite Extreme workouts on 1 DVD, the Elite Block calendar, a 1-month tub of Beachbody Energy & Endurance formula, and 3 B-Lines Resistance bands

http://bit.ly/1cmJfSM
P90X3 Ultimate Kit: $329.55 + S&H
Includes everything in the Deluxe Kit plus a 1-month tub of Beachbody Results & Recovery formula, a P90X Chin-up Bar, the P90X Chin-up Max assist device (which I have and is awesome), and a Beachbody premium Jump Mat.

http://bit.ly/INCEJ3
P90X3 Challenge Pack: $205 normally, $180 through January, shipping is free.
Includes P90X3 Base Kit, a 30 day supply of Shakeology in the flavor of your choice on Home Direct auto ship, and a 30 day VIP Team Beachbody Club membership. $180 is a great deal; if you bought Shakeology plus P90X3 Base Kit separately by themselves, it'd cost around $250 PLUS shipping.

http://bit.ly/1bzWl2k
P90X3 ELITE DVDS -- upgrade from the Base Kit

By the way today is the last day to get free shipping and a P90X3 hat on the base, deluxe and ultimate packages. You have to place an order before midnight PST January 5.

Challenge Packs always have free shipping, and both the P90X3 and Focus T25 challenge packs are on sale for $180 through January.

LaneDS

Ordered (again)! Thanks for sharing the links.

I have from tomorrow January 6th until June 14th to get Tough Mudder ready. Plan is to go as hard as I ever have with P90X (1/2/3) between now and then along with some half marathon training schedules, plus of course this thread to stay both accountable and motivated.

nomster

Anyone have an opinion between T25 and P90X3? I liked the original P90X, wasn't a huge fan of X2. Too much gear. I need a shorter workout these days.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
T25 is great for cardio endurance and agility/coordination, although Insanity is more challenging. I think that the third phase, Gamma, is essential for people who aren't just starting out, but it's sold separately.

P90X3 so far feels at least on par with P90X and X2 -- and doesn't have the equipment requirements of X2. So far I love it. It may be my favorite Beachbody program.

nomster

T25 is great for cardio endurance and agility/coordination, although Insanity is more challenging. I think that the third phase, Gamma, is essential for people who aren't just starting out, but it's sold separately.

P90X3 so far feels at least on par with P90X and X2 -- and doesn't have the equipment requirements of X2. So far I love it. It may be my favorite Beachbody program.
Thanks Steve. I think I'll roll with x3 then.

Ixian

P90X3 is pretty rad so far but man oh man, doing The Warrior after still being sore from The Challenge and also being sick was hell. Starting off with Sphinx pushups = :(((.

Tash

I have a total girl crush on the dark haired girl in Total Synergistic (the climber). Her body is just amazing and she totally kills the pull-up exercises like it's super easy.

Dreya just totally annoys me but she always has with her way of acting and moving..

Totally cute to see Tony call Shawna "his girl" all the time. I had no idea.

In another, non cast related note: I love p90x3 so far. Really awesome :D
I even managed to make my bf join in. Let's see how long he can keep it up ;)

I really, REALLY love how they incorporated the best from x and x2 into x3. I can REALLY see how the combined all the knowledge and experience they have from the two earlier programs.
I also really love that the nutrition guide doesn't go all nazi on you and leaves you with choices.

Infinity

Anyone have an opinion between T25 and P90X3? I liked the original P90X, wasn't a huge fan of X2. Too much gear. I need a shorter workout these days.

I can't comment on T25, but compared to P90X, X3 will work you. Don't think that 30 minutes is "too short of a workout", because you will feel it.

My first week of X3 left me very sore, and I haven't been sore from a workout in quite a while. I consider myself in great physical shape, but 6 days of 'dat 30 minute X3 humbled me. :)

Give it a shot. Coming from P90X, I feel certain you'll like it.

Tash

I like P90X3 better. While T25 is a lot of fun p90x3 adds the whole balancing thing to a lot of exercises (they introduced this with p90x2). It just makes all the exercises even more efficient because on top of doing push-ups or your resistance move it also works your stability and balance at all times which is an added layer on top.

T25 is also more cardio based (I feel that Shaun's workouts are always more cardio focused while Tony's are more balanced for your overall health and fitness level). Mind you, I love both Tony and Shaun's workouts equally but if we talk T25 vs P9x3 so far I prefer P90x3. Also because it has MUCH more variation than T25. Obviously only talking from a few days of X3 so far. I haven't finished the 90 days yet ;)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
The 30 min obsession kind of ruins Yoga for me in X3, it's way too rushed IMO. But I guess I could just replace it with X2 Yoga.

nomster

I can't comment on T25, but compared to P90X, X3 will work you. Don't think that 30 minutes is "too short of a workout", because you will feel it.

My first week of X3 left me very sore, and I haven't been sore from a workout in quite a while. I consider myself in great physical shape, but 6 days of 'dat 30 minute X3 humbled me. :)

Give it a shot. Coming from P90X, I feel certain you'll like it.
Good to hear! I have no problem with 30 minutes of extra intensity, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
*JUST* announced: Strawberry Shakeology. This is a whey-based, non-Vegan Shakeology (different from Vegan Tropical Strawberry). Goes on sale a week from today.

They've also announced a "Neapolitan" box, that has 8 packets each of chocolate, vanilla and strawberry.

Tash

I have a gripe with Yoga X3
It's REALLY hard to get into it if you do Yoga for the first time. It goes really fast and you can see they tried to cram a lot into the 30 mins to make it effective.

It's really awesome for me who already is familiar with the moves from P90X but for starters it's almost impossible to do efficiently for a while. It definitely needs a disclaimer to watch it before you doing it, a few times even. But even then. It is missing quite a few cues and helpful tips that you get in P90X. Even I had a bit of a "huh" moment with some moves because Tony just doesn't have the time to properly explain how to breath, how to move and what to focus on to avoid bad posture.

I like that Alice girl in Total Synergistics (p90x 3). She seems like a lot of fun and the way she talks to Tony amuses me.

Yep, that's the one. She is not only totally gorgeous but super fit. Like I said, total girl crush :p
Alice Rietveld

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
It's REALLY hard to get into it if you do Yoga for the first time. It goes really fast and you can see they tried to cram a lot into the 30 mins to make it effective.

It's really awesome for me who already is familiar with the moves from P90X but for starters it's almost impossible to do efficiently for a while. It definitely needs a disclaimer to watch it before you doing it, a few times even. But even then. It is missing quite a few cues and helpful tips that you get in P90X. Even I had a bit of a "huh" moment with some moves because Tony just doesn't have the time to properly explain how to breath, how to move and what to focus on to avoid bad posture.

Yeah, same thing with X2 Yoga really (albeit to a lesser degree). I love X2 Yoga, but it's sometimes hard to keep up if you're not familiar with P90X Yoga.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Yep, that's the one. She is not only totally gorgeous but super fit. Like I said, total girl crush :p
Alice Rietveld

Pain in the Alice! BTW nice avatar pic Tash! Much better than your old one ;-)

Yeah, same thing with X2 Yoga really (albeit to a lesser degree). I love X2 Yoga, but it's sometimes hard to keep up if you're not familiar with P90X Yoga.

Yeah good points Kiriku & Tash about X3 Yoga. Definitely some missed cues -- I see that in some of the other workouts as well. I suppose it makes sense given the reduced amount of time available. I think that with X3, it is worth watching the workouts once before attempting them.

which ab ripper do you guys like the most out of the three?

I don't think X3 Ab Ripper is necessarily as tough as ARX or ARX2, but I think it's better because it addresses more of your core. ARX feels more like a hip flexor workout than a core workout TBH.

Pyrokai

Oh man....I did something I shouldn't have and I took some pictures of myself today and then compared them to Day 1.

I look exactly the same. Exactly the effing same. I'm on Day 60, too (actually more because I did repeat weeks). I'm doing something wrong. I must not be eating enough. I don't think I've gained an ounce of muscle.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Oh man....I did something I shouldn't have and I took some pictures of myself today and then compared them to Day 1.

I look exactly the same. Exactly the effing same. I'm on Day 60, too (actually more because I did repeat weeks). I'm doing something wrong. I must not be eating enough. I don't think I've gained an ounce of muscle.

What workout program are you doing, and are you following the meal plan?

Revoh

Should I start with P90 if I'm a complete beginner? I'd like to "tone" (I know that term is frowned upon). I'm skinnyfat at the moment, weak as phuck also. I haven't exercise for over a year (and when I did I didn't manage to do it for a week)
But I want to try again, this time from the comfort of my house so I can force myself to not be lazy about it (I hate going to the gym)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Should I start with P90 if I'm a complete beginner? I'd like to "tone" (I know that term is frowned upon). I'm skinnyfat at the moment, weak as phuck also. I haven't exercise for over a year (and when I did I didn't manage to do it for a week)
But I want to try again, this time from the comfort of my house so I can force myself to not be lazy about it (I hate going to the gym)

P90 isn't a bad choice for a beginner. It's what I started with. That said, it got boring after a while -- I was ready to move on to something more challenging long before it was over.

You can certainly start with P90X3 though. Even though it can be very challenging, there's always someone doing low-intensity modifications of all the moves, so you have somewhere to start but can still progress as you go along. Plus, 30 minute workouts are hard to beat!

Pyrokai

What workout program are you doing, and are you following the meal plan?

I'm doing P90X, the original. I'm borrowing the DVDs from a friend, so all that's all I actually have; I do not have the diet guide. However, I eat extremely clean. Mostly lean meats, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and eggs. I eat as much as I can until I feel full each day and no longer hungry. I honestly can't figure out if I'm eating too much or too little....and if at all preferable I'd like to avoid micro-managing and calorie-counting. Been-there-done-that when I lost my weight from my fat days. I was bonking at one point during a couple routines, so I increased my food intake but now I think it might be too much? Not quite sure. I'm also what I think you'd call "skinny fat" :p

Edit: Seriously thinking about just getting X3 and quitting X1 in hopes of having better results. What do you think?

KingGondo

Banned
I'd just finish X1 first. A lot of folks have the most transformation going from phase 2 to phase 3, rather than 1 to 2.
That was definitely the case for me.

Pyrokai: Are you supplementing?

I find that taking a scoop or two of protein powder with creatine after my workout really helps my muscle gains.

Pyrokai

Well, that's a little encouraging about the P2 -> P3 results. I actually am starting the recovery week in 2 days since I did a double week in P2 because....holidays and such screwed up my schedule.

And no, I'm not really supplementing. I eat a lot of Quest Bars, but usually after a workout I was immediately eating a big meal. Usually 2 large chicken breasts and sweet potatoes. Sometimes I'd have chocolate milk (I read that that's helpful after a workout), but I don't use creatine or anything. I was trying to go as natural as possible rather than pumping my body full of chemicals, but maybe I should stop caring about that if that's what's preventing my results.

Bollocks

I gotta say I don't like T25 too much I think I'll go back to Insanity.
I'm bad at following the moves in T25 and I feel that I'm not being pushed enough, something that I loved with Insanity.
With Insanity Shaun shows you the (really simple) moves beforehand and that's that.
Plus there are breaks and you need it, something that I don't feel with T25.
The only thing it has going for it is that it's only 30m.
If only there was a 30m Insanity workout.

Pyrokai

I gotta say I don't like T25 too much I think I'll go back to Insanity.
I'm bad at following the moves in T25 and I feel that I'm not being pushed enough, something that I loved with Insanity.
With Insanity Shaun shows you the (really simple) moves beforehand and that's that.
Plus there are breaks and you need it, something that I don't feel with T25.
The only thing it has going for it is that it's only 30m.
If only there was a 30m Insanity workout.

Couldn't you pause it for breaks and such? Eventually when I get P90X3, and the workouts are all 30 minutes, I still anticipate them to take an hour for me to complete. I imagine there's a lack of instruction between actions, so I'll probably have to watch then rewind a lot.

As far as being pushed hard enough, not sure how I can help there :p

Ixian

As someone who never did P90X2, one thing that's kind of surprised me about X3 is how little straight dumbbell lifting there is in comparison to X1. I miss it!

radcliff

I started X3 today (Total Synergistics) and was totally disappointed. Sure it is a full body workout, but each area is just touched upon. By the time it was over, I didn't feel like any particular body part had been worked. I threw in additional curls, push ups, and pull ups just to feel some kind of burn. I actually felt bad drinking my recovery drink because I didn't feel like I had earned it. The next couple workouts (Agility and Yoga) don't encourage me either after viewing them. The Challenge looks like the only routine that is comparable to something from X1. And this lasts for 3 weeks followed by a week of mostly cardio routines (transition week)? Yikes. I'm seriously thinking about returning this and trying something else.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
CVX and The Warrior are good. My only complaint so far is X3 Yoga is a bit too short, but I haven't felt short-changed by any of the workouts.

I'd give it a couple weeks, use heavier weights, do more challenging versions of the moves (jump farther/higher, squat/lunge lower, narrow grip pull-ups & push-ups, etc) and if you're still not feeling challenged, move ahead to phase two or just switch to the Doubles schedule.

Infinity

I personally feel that P90 is an excellent workout program for a beginner. I started with it and by the time I completed it and moved on to the Masters program, I had already lost the bulk of my weight and had toned up really well.

Yes, it gets boring. The studio set is antiquated by today's standards. But, the moves will push a beginner, particularly the 3-4 workouts.

Having been away from exercise for a year, P90 would be a great way to bounce back into it.

Pyrokai

Maybe that's my problem? I should have started with P90 instead of P90X......??.....hmmmm.....my fitness level was essentially zero. Had never really done anything outside of running prior to this. Maybe I'll do 2 rounds of P90X and see where that gets me...

Ixian

Maybe that's my problem? I should have started with P90 instead of P90X......??.....hmmmm.....my fitness level was essentially zero. Had never really done anything outside of running prior to this. Maybe I'll do 2 rounds of P90X and see where that gets me...
If you are finishing the P90X workouts and you're seeing an improvement in your ability to lift/do pushups pullups etc then you are fine for P90X in my opinion. Prior to P90X, the only thing I had going for me was stamina thanks to stuff like Insanity and playing silly dancing games, and I still got good results. Stick with it.

Top Bottom