• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Maybe that's my problem? I should have started with P90 instead of P90X......??.....hmmmm.....my fitness level was essentially zero. Had never really done anything outside of running prior to this. Maybe I'll do 2 rounds of P90X and see where that gets me...

Yep stick with it.

It isn't unfit > P90X > fit

It is unfit > P90X > fitter > something else > fitter > P90X again > even fitter .....

and so on till you stop. As long as you are recording your results, you will see yourself improving in real terms.

Tash

Pain in the Alice! BTW nice avatar pic Tash! Much better than your old one ;-)
eh heh, I was told it's real-pic-january or somesuch.. :p

Maybe that's my problem? I should have started with P90 instead of P90X......??.....hmmmm.....my fitness level was essentially zero. Had never really done anything outside of running prior to this. Maybe I'll do 2 rounds of P90X and see where that gets me...

Nah, I started with P90X coming from three hospital visits and diagnosed with MS. I don't think you can be worse off to start than that :p
I just took it slow, took "do your best and forget the rest" as my mantra and did what I could at the start. I had incredible improvements which got me from being afraid to walk down the stairs because of balance and really bad energy levels to the level where a PT asked me if I was a professional athlete after I graduated the 90 Month and took my first ever PT test including heart rate and oxygen tests. Just remember that the people in the workouts are at least ones graduates and there is no need for you to HAVE to keep up with them or do exactly what they do. Work in your own limits.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
P90X3 should be in today, I think I'll do one of the workouts tomorrow just to see how it is and start fully next week.

I also should probably add it into the OP and thread title as well. :)

EDIT: OP updated with P90X3 info.

TylerD

Went to bed last night at 11 and I woke up at 3 in the morning wired. My alarm set to 5:30 to get up and do P90X yoga. Decided to do my workout early and set my alarm for much later.

I brought it as hard as I could (muscles shaking and all) and ended up in this incredibly euphoric/emotional state by the end of the workout. I went from laughing to crying to laughing again during the Oms and after it all just turned off the light and walked to bed passing out. Maybe the best 3 hrs of sleep I have ever had in my life.

Just thought I would share my experience.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Tried 'The Challenge' in P90X3 today, liked it a lot, mainly because it was like a shorter, more intense One on One 30-15 Upper Body Massacre. I used to do that a lot instead of the regular Chest & Back routines in P90X2. Stuck with fairly low numbers as it was my first time doing it, but could still feel it afterwards.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I plan to start X3 next week so this week I'm doing a few random workouts to see how they are. Did The Warrior yesterday and it was a pretty solid all-around workout. You do upper body, lower, cardio, and abs. Been 3 weeks since I worked out last so it killed me.

Might try the MMX one today. Any other suggestions for good one-off X3 workouts?

Tash

Yesterday was the 2nd anniversary of when I started doing Beachbody workouts, with Power90. I wrote up some of my thoughts about this on my fitness Facebook page.

Love that. Great before and after pics Steve :)

I wrote down my own story as well. Oddly enough it always works as motivation to get back on track again. It's very good idea to reflect :)

http://www.tascha.ch/fitness/about-2/

On another note - done with my first week of P90X3. I really love it but it does feel a bit rushed at times. I can't wait to see where it gets me, though :)
Agility X had me most sore and CVX is really pushing it (didn't help that I couldn't find my lighter dumbbells and pushed through with 6.6 lbs).

Bollocks

Did the Insanity Upper Body Workout today.
The pushups with the dumbbells are like an accident waiting to happen, since mine are round.
If you lift one arm in the air and thus your whole weight rests on the other arm, that's rather sketchy. If you slip, your wrist is done.
I need one that aren't round but hexagon shaped.

Fixed1979

For people using P90X3, how important is it to have multiple band strengths? I purchased the strongest band I could when I did P90X awhile back for the pull-ups. Would that be enough to complete X3 as well?

radcliff

Did Agility X yesterday and Yoga X today (each from X3). My impressions:

Agility X: There was a point where I started to feel somewhat challenged and a little bit of exhaustion setting in. I felt like I did about half way through Plyo X from X1. Then Tony said we were done. What? Done? Just like day 1 (Total Synergistics) I just don't feel like there is enough here for a full workout. As I mentioned, I didn't even start to feel a little tired until the very end, and then it was over. I remember doing Plyo X for the first time and almost begging it to end. Here, I was frustrated it was over.

Yoga X: Totally worthless. I knew going into this one I wouldn't like it, bit I was completely taken by surprised by just how much I hated this. They assume you know these moves and that you are flexible. I don't and I'm not. I had to keep looking up to see what moves they were transitioning to. Even if I knew the moves, I'm not flexible enough to properly do these. I just felt like I was going through the motions and not really doing anything. And it doesn't help that the guy in the video is annoying with his constant smiling and showing off (hey look, I can do this with no hands!) This was such a waste of time, I did Ab Ripper right after so I at least felt like I actually did some exercising. With Total Synergistics, I felt guilty drinking my recover drink because I didn;t feel like I earned it. With Yoga X, I didn't even have my recovery drink because there is nothing to recover from. At the beginning of the DVD, Tony says he doesn't want us to skip this one. Sorry Tony, then you should have made it more engaging.

Up next is the Challenge. I think I will like it as it is basically Check and Back from P90X1. I just hope its not too similar that its redundant.

If I decide to continue, I am going to make some heavy modifications to the schedule:

1- Total Synergistics, followed by added biceps curls, triceps work, push ups, pull ups, and Ab Ripper 1
2- Agility X
3- Yoga is out replaced with Incinerator, followed by Ab Ripper 2
4- Cardio X
5- Challenge followed by Ab Ripper 3
6- Warrior

God Enel

Did Agility X yesterday and Yoga X today (each from X3). My impressions:

Agility X: There was a point where I started to feel somewhat challenged and a little bit of exhaustion setting in. I felt like I did about half way through Plyo X from X1. Then Tony said we were done. What? Done? Just like day 1 (Total Synergistics) I just don't feel like there is enough here for a full workout. As I mentioned, I didn't even start to feel a little tired until the very end, and then it was over. I remember doing Plyo X for the first time and almost begging it to end. Here, I was frustrated it was over.

Yoga X: Totally worthless. I knew going into this one I wouldn't like it, bit I was completely taken by surprised by just how much I hated this. They assume you know these moves and that you are flexible. I don't and I'm not. I had to keep looking up to see what moves they were transitioning to. Even if I knew the moves, I'm not flexible enough to properly do these. I just felt like I was going through the motions and not really doing anything. And it doesn't help that the guy in the video is annoying with his constant smiling and showing off (hey look, I can do this with no hands!) This was such a waste of time, I did Ab Ripper right after so I at least felt like I actually did some exercising. With Total Synergistics, I felt guilty drinking my recover drink because I didn;t feel like I earned it. With Yoga X, I didn't even have my recovery drink because there is nothing to recover from. At the beginning of the DVD, Tony says he doesn't want us to skip this one. Sorry Tony, then you should have made it more engaging.

Up next is the Challenge. I think I will like it as it is basically Check and Back from P90X1. I just hope its not too similar that its redundant.

If I decide to continue, I am going to make some heavy modifications to the schedule:

1- Total Synergistics, followed by added biceps curls, triceps work, push ups, pull ups, and Ab Ripper 1
2- Agility X
3- Yoga is out replaced with Incinerator, followed by Ab Ripper 2
4- Cardio X
5- Challenge followed by Ab Ripper 3
6- Warrior

why not just do doubles? thats what I will start with.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Love that. Great before and after pics Steve :)

I wrote down my own story as well. Oddly enough it always works as motivation to get back on track again. It's very good idea to reflect :)

http://www.tascha.ch/fitness/about-2/

On another note - done with my first week of P90X3. I really love it but it does feel a bit rushed at times. I can't wait to see where it gets me, though :)
Agility X had me most sore and CVX is really pushing it (didn't help that I couldn't find my lighter dumbbells and pushed through with 6.6 lbs).

Thanks Tash! I've read your story before and it is very inspiring. Weight loss isn't the only reason to turn your fitness around!

Did the Insanity Upper Body Workout today.
The pushups with the dumbbells are like an accident waiting to happen, since mine are round.
If you lift one arm in the air and thus your whole weight rests on the other arm, that's rather sketchy. If you slip, your wrist is done.
I need one that aren't round but hexagon shaped.

Try using one dumbbell -- do your push-up with both hands on the ground and the dumbbell in the center, and then when you're in plank, grab the dumbbell with alternating hands for the arm raise. You'll get the same benefit with less rollaway risk.

For people using P90X3, how important is it to have multiple band strengths? I purchased the strongest band I could when I did P90X awhile back for the pull-ups. Would that be enough to complete X3 as well?

It should be, but bands are cheap enough that you might want more. Personally I think bands are extremely limiting in terms of progressive strength gains. You can't beat lifting heavy stuff. But if money and space are a concern, they're certainly better than nothing!

Yep, I say switch to doubles or try the mass schedule.

And you really should stick with the yoga, radcliff. You'll learn the moves and become more flexible in time, and your overall fitness will improve.

radcliff

Because the selling point of P90x3 was 30 minute routines. That is fine if it is an intense 30 minutes, but its not (at least not the first 3 I have done). If I am going to do doubles, I might as well just stick with X1 where at least I know I will get some actualy weight lifiting in as well.

And you really should stick with the yoga, radcliff. You'll learn the moves and become more flexible in time, and your overall fitness will improve.

I just can't. I was too bored. And it doesn't help that the "modifier," or the person who is supposed to show a beginner what to do, has perfect form and balance the whole time. Meanwhile, I look like a crippled hunchback while trying to do these. And then Tony just calls out The Crow. It is impossible for someone who doesn't do yoga to just do the crow. But he just calls it out like he is asking us to do a simple stretch. It is more frustrating and discouraging than anything.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Because the selling point of P90x3 was 30 minute routines. That is fine if it is an intense 30 minutes, but its not (at least not the first 3 I have done). If I am going to do doubles, I might as well just stick with X1 where at least I know I will get some actualy weight lifiting in as well.[/url]

Here's a 10 minute arm workout you can add to phase 1 if you want more muscle work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97bVHrNvqtg

If you look on Tony Horton's YouTube channel, he's also got "Accelerated Series" videos for chest, core, and legs. But the arms one he just posted the other day.

I just can't. I was too bored. And it doesn't help that the "modifier," or the person who is supposed to show a beginner what to do, has perfect form and balance the whole time. Meanwhile, I look like a crippled hunchback while trying to do these. And then Tony just calls out The Crow. It is impossible for someone who doesn't do yoga to just do the crow. But he just calls it out like he is asking us to do a simple stretch. It is more frustrating and discouraging than anything.

I suppose you could watch the move, then pause & try it yourself... As far as Crow goes, that's a tough move -- but it's easier to learn if you have a yoga block. I put mine on end below where my forehead goes, and use it to help balance as I get my legs up. Eventually you'll be able to keep your head off of it.

Just remember, you're at home & nobody is judging you. Even in X1 and X2 yoga there are people with ridiculous flexibility and skills.

But yoga in general is just such a great addition to any fitness regimen. I really missed it doing Body Beast & Focus T25.

i finally wrote down all the activities on the calendar and such so i'm ready to start this monday. i probably will end up cutting my hair this weekend because last time it just whipped me in the face with sweat.

radcliff

Here's a 10 minute arm workout you can add to phase 1 if you want more muscle work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97bVHrNvqtg

If you look on Tony Horton's YouTube channel, he's also got "Accelerated Series" videos for chest, core, and legs. But the arms one he just posted the other day.

Those are all moves you do during the course of P90X3, though. Its basically the bi/triceps moves from Incinerator or Eccentric Upper (I forget which one). I suppose I could add it to the end of Total Syn.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm enjoying p90x 3 a lot.

I've got a heart monitor and in the first day, I burned 391 calories in 30 mins. that's damn good.

Yoga X I liked because even though I had to keep stopping to look at the moves as it goes quick, I recognise most of em from the 'good' bit of p90x 1.

I just did 'the challenge' F U C K

that is hardcore. nice workout, and I've been living like a drunk layabout for the last 6 months, ~20% bodyfat and about 76 kilo (target of 72 kilo). I went cautious/slow with a 5 chinup/15 pushup target (as you have to keep it to the end) and even with only 15 pushups I was dying on the end.

I wish I didn't suck at chin ups so much. when I did chinups during p90x 1 I started being able to complete about 2, near the end I could get to 12. Can't wait to get back there again.

Also diet dudes help me out, I have a somewhat unique problem. I hate eggs. Like I really hate them. Which means I have a lot of trouble getting enough calories from protein. Can someone help me out? I already do a protein shake per day, I guess I can add an egg to that in a blender when I'm at home, but I need some higher protein meals. Especially breakfast, because all the protein breakfasts seem egg based (omelets etc) I don't really know what to do. I love meat, so dinner is much less of a problem (although it's hard to cutback the potatos/pastas, they're so delicious).

radcliff

I'm enjoying p90x 3 a lot.

Also diet dudes help me out, I have a somewhat unique problem. I hate eggs. Like I really hate them. Which means I have a lot of trouble getting enough calories from protein. Can someone help me out? I already do a protein shake per day, I guess I can add an egg to that in a blender when I'm at home, but I need some higher protein meals. Especially breakfast, because all the protein breakfasts seem egg based (omelets etc) I don't really know what to do. I love meat, so dinner is much less of a problem (although it's hard to cutback the potatos/pastas, they're so delicious).

Have you tried turkey bacon or turkey sausage? What about candian bacon (ham)? Maybe you wouldn't make this distinction, but while I also dislike eggs, I like egg whites or egg substitute.

nomster

Just got to yogax3 and so far I'm having a good time with p90x3. I was already sore from the first two workouts so I can't complain, though I've been pretty inactive in the past 6 months. With more career responsibilities, kids, and a bad commute I was having trouble fitting the one hour videos in.

I kind of liked the new yoga myself. Surprised to see that Crow was complained about above. Compared all the movements in the video I didn't have much trouble with it, especially after dealing with crane (I think?) for so long in X1. The stretching and reaching are much tougher on my sedentary body.

Barzul

I'm in my 2nd week of Insanity. Kinda dreading the addition of Cardio abs to Pure Cardio, but I hear it prepares you for the 2nd month, so I'll stick with it.

tmarques

I guess they couldn't spend too much time giving options and modifications in a 30-minute session but it shouldn't be THAT hard to come up with those yourself (ie. with, crow, try lifting only one leg at a time).

As disappointed as I am in X3, I think this is Tony's best stab at Yoga to date. My only criticism is that there's not enough for back flexibility. It's probably the only workout I see myself repeating in the future. Pilates was very weak, though.

Yep, I say switch to doubles or try the mass schedule.

It's kind of funny that they have a "mass" schedule though, because I don't see how these workouts could possibly serve that purpose. Combining chest, arms, shoulders and back in a single 30-minute workout is silly. I wish they'd make a Body Beast 2 (preferably with a new host) but I guess that wasn't nearly as popular as their other products.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Body Beast is VERY popular. If they do make a Body Beast 2, they can keep Sagi but add some women to the cast and eliminate the bro-speak -- I know a LOT of women who do the program!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Body Beast is VERY popular. If they do make a Body Beast 2, they can keep Sagi but add some women to the cast and eliminate the bro-speak -- I know a LOT of women who do the program!

Yeah, I really like Body Beast in some ways but everytime Sagi starts talking down on the other guys by basically calling them women, it pissed me off to hear stuff like that. To be honest I don't understand how they even allowed it to be in the final product. And yeah, I know some women who definitely would enjoy a program like that.

Yeah, I really like Body Beast in some ways but everytime Sagi starts talking down on the other guys by basically calling them women, it pissed me off to hear stuff like that. To be honest I don't understand how they even allowed it to be in the final product. And yeah, I know some women who definitely would enjoy a program like that.
yeah the host is such a douchebag

zero charisma

just a stereotypical meat head

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
yeah the host is such a douchebag

zero charisma

just a stereotypical meat head

He comes across that way in the videos, and the accent kind of exacerbates that, but he's actually a really knowledgeable trainer and a nice down to earth guy. I think that Beachbody figured nobody but a particular type of man would be interested in Body Beast and scripted it as such. But as it turns out, it's a great strength building program for men AND women -- something they acknowledged with the Beast Challenge they held at last year's Coach Summit. It would not surprise me to see Sagi training in a second, more female-friendly version of the program in the future.

tmarques

He comes across that way in the videos, and the accent kind of exacerbates that, but he's actually a really knowledgeable trainer and a nice down to earth guy.

I swear to God it's like watching SNL circa 1990.

As someone mentioned, I'm surprised some of those comments weren't edited out. Even if they didn't think women would buy the program, in this day and age it's probably not a good idea to have your host make jokes that border on homophobia. Body Beast was the only time with a Beach Body product that I worked out without the DVDs after memorising the workouts.

radcliff

As disappointed as I am in X3, I think this is Tony's best stab at Yoga to date. My only criticism is that there's not enough for back flexibility. It's probably the only workout I see myself repeating in the future. Pilates was very weak, though.

Just out of curiosity, what are your complaints with X3?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'm only in the third week but I already feel stronger. I think the P90 series are the best for overall fitness -- it's been about a year since I finished X2 and in the mean time I've done Les Mills Combat, Body Beast and Focus T25. Each has their merits, but I think for overall functional fitness the P90 series can't be beat.

Including P90X3 :)

I've done Combat, Insanity and T25 but I've always had to adjust the program due to traveling for work a couple weeks at a time.

This year, I'm going to be in Chicago for the first six months so I'm doing to Insanity, Combat and T25, back to back.

tmarques

Just out of curiosity, what are your complaints with X3?

I just feel that muscle training was too simplified this time around. I don't expect to see workouts dedicated to each part of the body on a P90X program, but combining arms, shoulders, back and chest on a single workout is too much, especially when said workout lasts less than 30 minutes. I was also pissed to discover you have to pay extra to get Abs Ripper, which feels more like a basic routine rather than a bonus one.

I suppose it's hard to improve on a product like P90X and sometimes to keep things fresh you have to make changes just for the sake of making changes, even if you end up with a product that's less effective.

Ixian

I dunno, my experience with X3 so far is that Ab Ripper is actually a bonus since so many of the workouts are hitting those muscles already anyway.

Korosenai

What is a good price for Shakeology? Someone is selling a bag of vanilla Shakeology for $99 on ebay right now, with free shipping... I might get it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
What is a good price for Shakeology? Someone is selling a bag of vanilla Shakeology for $99 on ebay right now, with free shipping... I might get it.

That's about $30 off the auto-ship price. If you like Shakeology, and especially if your family likes it too, the cheapest way to get it is as a Coach. You get a 25% discount (on everything Beachbody sells). The full price is $129.95 but the coach price is $97.46, free shipping if you do home direct autoship.

It's normally $39 to sign up, but if you sign up & buy a Challenge Pack (a workout program plus Shakeology) the $39 is waived. After that it's $15.95/month but the discount still makes up for it. So especially if you buy multiple bags for family members it's more than worth it.

Go here and click on the Coach button to sign up. And of course you would then be able to sell Shakeology to others. Just get 3 people buying it and yours is paid for.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Have you tried turkey bacon or turkey sausage? What about candian bacon (ham)? Maybe you wouldn't make this distinction, but while I also dislike eggs, I like egg whites or egg substitute.

I would do this but I can't find turkey bacon or turkey sausage her in NL :( I'll keep an eye out though.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Cut phase complete. Silly holidays. Starting phase 1 week 3 on Tuesday.

Tash

I SO wish I could get Shakeology over there in Europe. I.cannot.stress this enough.

It would be so much easier to for in between meals and I really, REALLY wanna try it :(

I also really miss the R&R Formula. I had a coach friend send it to me but it's just way too much hassle.

God Enel

I SO wish I could get Shakeology over there in Europe. I.cannot.stress this enough.

It would be so much easier to for in between meals and I really, REALLY wanna try it :(

I also really miss the R&R Formula. I had a coach friend send it to me but it's just way too much hassle.

I don't even know why they are not expanding their business over here? I mean wtf?

Top Bottom