• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

just got my set in. Man these are annoying disks to rip, with the two workouts per.

the hat is too obnoxious for me to wear, unfortunately, due to the orange stripes. can't wait to start, thinking of Sunday even though it is a holiday week.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
just got my set in. Man these are annoying disks to rip, with the two workouts per.

the hat is too obnoxious for me to wear, unfortunately, due to the orange stripes. can't wait to start, thinking of Sunday even though it is a holiday week.

My wife & I are starting on the 26th.

By the way, if I'm your coach, anyone who's doing X3 and is on Facebook, I have a closed accountability group I can add you to. Post about your workouts, and encourage others. I've found that being a part of an accountability group helps to keep me motivated. So send me a message, here or on teambeachbody.com, and I'll add you to the group!

Pyrokai

Got some new questions for you guys...

Recently, I've been pittering out 3/4ths of the way through workouts. I just lose all my energy and become very weak, even shakey. Am I not eating enough? I'm not entirely sure if I'm eating enough, but I try to eat as much as I can. I'm not really losing any fat so I think I'm still eating enough, but I just wanted to know what you guys thought.

In phase 1, I was able to do the main workout + Ab Ripper conescutively, but two days ago I skipped Ab Ripper for the first time, and today I did Legs & Back and I'm going to do ab ripper later today. First time I've ever split it up. Is this a bad idea? I thought maybe I could get some more energy and then do it instead of having a craptastic Ab Ripper session that does me no good.

Not sure what to think. In general, I feel like I'm getting worse at the routines and have less energy, and my motivation is slipping away because of this.

And if it helps, my diet is very clean.

Stampy

So for those who have P90X3, are they missing the warmup up phase, and what does the general 15 minutes warmup consist off?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So for those who have P90X3, are they missing the warmup up phase, and what does the general 15 minutes warmup consist off?

It's about 3 minutes. Run in place, shoulder stuff, leg stretch pulls.

There basically isn't one, and I think it's an awesome change. When I used P90X/P90X2 for workouts after I finished them, I'd skip warmup.

Got some new questions for you guys...

Recently, I've been pittering out 3/4ths of the way through workouts. I just lose all my energy and become very weak, even shakey. Am I not eating enough? I'm not entirely sure if I'm eating enough, but I try to eat as much as I can. I'm not really losing any fat so I think I'm still eating enough, but I just wanted to know what you guys thought.

In phase 1, I was able to do the main workout + Ab Ripper conescutively, but two days ago I skipped Ab Ripper for the first time, and today I did Legs & Back and I'm going to do ab ripper later today. First time I've ever split it up. Is this a bad idea? I thought maybe I could get some more energy and then do it instead of having a craptastic Ab Ripper session that does me no good.

Not sure what to think. In general, I feel like I'm getting worse at the routines and have less energy, and my motivation is slipping away because of this.

And if it helps, my diet is very clean.

You're low on blood sugar. It could be because you're not eating enough carbohydrate and your liver is out of glycogen. Or it could be that you have poor response to exercise and need to get fit over time. Like the first time you run in months is an awful experience but then something adapts, independent of having enough glycogen.

When I run into this, I just take a few minutes break. I remember doing this frequently with P90X2's Base & Back the first 6 or so times I did it.

Take it seriously because running low on blood sugar while it's high in demand body wide means your brain is running on low power mode. You'll get dizzy, delirious, and not be able to think well in general.

Ydahs

I want to begin working out my abdominal region more often, since I've kinda neglected that area + chest in the past. Would P90x's 15 minute ab workout, three times a week, be enough to get some decent definition in two months? Or is there an actual ab workout program which someone can recommend?

I want to begin working out my abdominal region more often, since I've kinda neglected that area + chest in the past. Would P90x's 15 minute ab workout, three times a week, be enough to get some decent definition in two months? Or is there an actual ab workout program which someone can recommend?

I find wanting definition with abs comes more with eating healthy and and really focusing on working your whole body. If you already have a workout routine, you really don't need to work on your abs/core more than 2, 3 times a week. Eating clean and healthy is far more important. Some people say that abs are made in the kitchen and I believe that.

I do like P90X2's ab ripper more than P90X, although both are recommended.

Ydahs

I find wanting definition with abs comes more with eating healthy and and really focusing on working your whole body. If you already have a workout routine, you really don't need to work on your abs/core more than 2, 3 times a week. Eating clean and healthy is far more important. Some people say that abs are made in the kitchen and I believe that.

I do like P90X2's ab ripper more than P90X, although both are recommended.

Cheers. I had a nice outline of my abs when I was roughly 78kg, but then I got a year long injury and ballooned back up to 84kg. Now I'm back down to ~81kg and with the 2-3 time ab workout a week, I'm hoping that at 78kg again it'll be a bit more than a nice outline due to the focus I'll be putting on it now.

Cheers. I had a nice outline of my abs when I was roughly 78kg, but then I got a year long injury and ballooned back up to 84kg. Now I'm back down to ~81kg and with the 2-3 time ab workout a week, I'm hoping that at 78kg again it'll be a bit more than a nice outline due to the focus I'll be putting on it now.

Hope you get the results you are looking for soon :) If you are already eating healthy, then some weight lifting will do the trick, or should.

I would rate them P90 > P90X2 > P90X

I find P90X ends up feeling more of a leg workout after you get used to it. P90 is pretty much just crunches and always feels like a good ab workout.

I personally like X2 > X > P90. For me, P90 is too much crunches. X is too much legs and hurts my back too much. And looking back, X doesn't really need to be as intense as it was made. X2 really lessens the intensity a bit (but the middle gets to me very time) and focuses more on core.

the Challenge is literally 30 minutes of pushups and pullups. a big thumbs down from me, after a cycle this one will be replaced. I still can't do pullups well and don't have bands/the assist. disappointment.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
This morning I decided to try out P90X3 Ab Ripper (followed by Speed 2.0 from T25).

It's only 8 moves, about 15 minutes. Starts out pretty easy, but increases in difficulty as you go along. Really feels like it gets more of your core than the others, hitting not only your Abs & hip flexors, but also your obliques and back. A single dumbbell is used for a few of the moves. Several of the moves are compound, for example in one, a rep consists of banana followed by boat followed by mason twist to each side, and then reverse to boat and back to banana -- all with a dumbbell in your hands.

Seems like a better rounded but less intense workout. It's kind of a shame it's only in the Elite block -- we won't be doing this one until after the initial 90 days.

Pyrokai

You're low on blood sugar. It could be because you're not eating enough carbohydrate and your liver is out of glycogen. Or it could be that you have poor response to exercise and need to get fit over time. Like the first time you run in months is an awful experience but then something adapts, independent of having enough glycogen.

When I run into this, I just take a few minutes break. I remember doing this frequently with P90X2's Base & Back the first 6 or so times I did it.

Take it seriously because running low on blood sugar while it's high in demand body wide means your brain is running on low power mode. You'll get dizzy, delirious, and not be able to think well in general.

Well...I'm totally at a loss now. I have been purposely trying to only eat complex carbs instead of simple insulin-spiking carbs. Am I just not eating enough of them? Should I eat more fruit?

I'll just come clean: I subscribe to Paleo, and have been eating this way (well, like 75% of the time). Has worked great for me for a year until this second month of P90x

teh_pwn

Well...I'm totally at a loss now. I have been purposely trying to only eat complex carbs instead of simple insulin-spiking carbs. Am I just not eating enough of them? Should I eat more fruit?

I'll just come clean: I subscribe to Paleo, and have been eating this way (well, like 75% of the time). Has worked great for me for a year until this second month of P90x

I'm not an MD, but I think any form of excess glucose is stored as glycogen. How much probably depends on numerous factors.

Don't over think it and maybe consume some type of carbohydrate before the workout.

You also need time to adapt to exercise. Throwing optimized nutrition at it only goes so far.

I've probably gained a few pounds from the holidays. Resuming P90X3...SOON

FOOTE

So my family got me P90X3 for Christmas. I like to know what I'm getting into exactly so I watched the Cold Start video( I'll be using it quite a lot since my workouts are in the mornings and the basement is cold) and I'm about half way through the Total Synergistic video. From what I've seen so far, it looks amazing. I'm going to get it going today sometime. I may supplement X3 with T25 or Beast Bulk workouts but I need to see how difficult that second workout will be to squeeze in in between work and school.

I'm sooooooo looking forward to another 90 days of working with Tony.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So my family got me P90X3 for Christmas. I like to know what I'm getting into exactly so I watched the Cold Start video( I'll be using it quite a lot since my workouts are in the mornings and the basement is cold) and I'm about half way through the Total Synergistic video. From what I've seen so far, it looks amazing. I'm going to get it going today sometime. I may supplement X3 with T25 or Beast Bulk workouts but I need to see how difficult that second workout will be to squeeze in in between work and school.

I'm sooooooo looking forward to another 90 days of working with Tony.

Be sure to watch the How To Accelerate video, too! My wife & I did the fit test this morning and I plan to have us do Day One this evening.

FOOTE

Be sure to watch the How To Accelerate video, too! My wife & I did the fit test this morning and I plan to have us do Day One this evening.

Will do. I did my workout and let me just say that even though it's 30 minutes and goes by fairly quickly.. It certainly feels like a full workout. The P90X workouts are IMO the hardest of any BB workouts (with the exception of the absolute exhaustion that occurs from the Insanity workouts) these workouts won't be any different. So hard but soooooo good.

FOOTE

OK so just a word of warning or advice. "The Challenge" workout is hard, do not pick your max number(s) for the push and pulls (or do and see how long you last). I lasted for four sets (the first round) and had to gradually reduce my number through the rest of the workout.

One the plus side, and I'm not surprised, the pump I got in my chest and back/shoulders was so good. Tony knows how to work ya.

casperOne

Is it possible to get those spreadsheets for workouts with p90x3?

I used to take a notebook with me to the gym, with videos and the Excel sheets to keep track of my workouts. I'd keep notes on reps and form as well (even though the sheets I had didn't support it).

I'm starting P90X3 today (in about 15 minutes), and I'm using a Chromebook for the videos, but obviously, no Excel.

Given that and I don't like paper sheets (hard to compare previous workouts from other cycles), I've created a Google Spreadsheet for P90X3 classic. You can view it here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/157NfvKpjn6io0Cn9dYbUTN5Vtv-nT5fZNOaKx7ba59w/edit?usp=sharing

All the exercises (not just the routines, but the exercises in the routines, where you want to track reps) are there as well as well as formulas to update the main calendar when you're done, etc.

Feel free to copy and use for yourself. Enjoy.

Majestad

Banned
Have you guys checked Tony's Youtube channel?

http://www.youtube.com/user/TonyHortonFitnessTV/videos

Bunch of awesome stuff there. He's also coming out with a (non-workout) book in February:

517ZMd%2Bgu-L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Can't wait for that. Tony is da man.

Have you guys checked Tony's Youtube channel?

http://www.youtube.com/user/TonyHortonFitnessTV/videos

Bunch of awesome stuff there. He's also coming out with a (non-workout) book in February:

Thanks, will check that out.

I really enjoy listening to Tony when he isn't in XTREME mode or trying to actively sell his stuff. When he is actually talking honestly about it in a down to earth way he has a lot of good stuff to say.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
OK so just a word of warning or advice. "The Challenge" workout is hard, do not pick your max number(s) for the push and pulls (or do and see how long you last). I lasted for four sets (the first round) and had to gradually reduce my number through the rest of the workout.

One the plus side, and I'm not surprised, the pump I got in my chest and back/shoulders was so good. Tony knows how to work ya.

I erred a bit too much on the side of caution with The Challenge yesterday, choosing 5 pull ups to 15 push ups. Narrow grip pull ups and military push ups were the hardest sets but I did get in all the reps. I'll bump it up to 10/25 next time.

I used to take a notebook with me to the gym, with videos and the Excel sheets to keep track of my workouts. I'd keep notes on reps and form as well (even though the sheets I had didn't support it).

I'm starting P90X3 today (in about 15 minutes), and I'm using a Chromebook for the videos, but obviously, no Excel.

Given that and I don't like paper sheets (hard to compare previous workouts from other cycles), I've created a Google Spreadsheet for P90X3 classic. You can view it here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/157NfvKpjn6io0Cn9dYbUTN5Vtv-nT5fZNOaKx7ba59w/edit?usp=sharing

All the exercises (not just the routines, but the exercises in the routines, where you want to track reps) are there as well as well as formulas to update the main calendar when you're done, etc.

Feel free to copy and use for yourself. Enjoy.

Nicely done! And thanks for sharing it!

By the way if anyone's still on the fence about P90X3, the free shipping on all P90X3 variants and sale on the challenge pack end at midnight PST on December 31. http://bit.ly/INCEJ3

The Challenge Pack is the best deal, around $90 off the price of P90X3 and Shakeology if purchased separately.

FOOTE

Man, I am so sore today. LOL

Haven't looked at the calendar but I can't wait to do my workout today. So far this really feels like when I first worked with P90X all those years ago.

radcliff

I'm starting p90x3 in January. Is anyone doing Ab Ripper X 3 after the normally scheduled work out, or are you waiting for the Elite block (4th month)? It seems like it will be weird not having to do Ab Ripper every other day, but it seems Pilates X is the "Ab Ripper" for the normal 3 month period.

I am still a bit concerned about the lack of biceps exercises in this program (I like performing biceps exercises). In the entire 1st block (3 weeks) and transition week (additional week) there is literally one bicep exercise. So for 25% of the program, you work your biceps directly 3 times total (one exercise, once a week during the first block). I realize you work them indirectly with other exercises, but it just seems like a huge oversight.

eosos

Banned
So I did P90X about a year and a half ago and got great results. Then I stopped working out altogether. Just did my first work out this morning. Wow, I'm out of shape haha. I can barely squeeze out 3 pull-ups without assistance from a chair or something. Do you all recommend using the bands for pull-ups until I get my strength up for now? Felt great to be back though. Trying to gain at least 15 pounds by the middle of march while doing this.

So I did P90X about a year and a half ago and got great results. Then I stopped working out altogether. Just did my first work out this morning. Wow, I'm out of shape haha. I can barely squeeze out 3 pull-ups without assistance from a chair or something. Do you all recommend using the bands for pull-ups until I get my strength up for now? Felt great to be back though. Trying to gain at least 15 pounds by the middle of march while doing this.

Did you mean gain or lose 15 pounds? Losing 15 pounds would be doable depending on your current size and diet, but I don't see how you'd gain the famous "15 pounds of muscle" pro athletes gain in that time with P90X.

Speaking of goals, the lady and I are doing health goals this year. I want to get the board's advice on goal settting for the end of March/early April.

I'm 31, about 5 five and seven inches, round abouts 153 with about 12% body fat. I'm going to start Insanity: Asylum Volume 2 today. When I complete that, I plan on taking a rest week off and then doing the hybrid Asylum 1/2 work out. Is dropping to about 10% body fat in 3 months pretty reasonable? Should I shoot for something higher/lower?

Guevara

One thing I hate about these programs is the deluxe kits come with extra workouts, which I want, but shake mix and bands that I don't need.

Are the P90X 2 and P90X 3 elite workouts worth the extra cost?

(P90X 2 Deluxe: 2 additional extreme P90X2 workouts

P90X3 Deluxe Kit: 3 Additional Extreme P90X3 Workouts)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Man, I am so sore today. LOL

Haven't looked at the calendar but I can't wait to do my workout today. So far this really feels like when I first worked with P90X all those years ago.

Yep, 5 days in here & loving it. Not TOO sore, but we just finished a Body Beast/Insanity/T25 hybrid. My wife says she's pretty sore though :)

How's the cast of kids in X3 guys?

Not bad so far -- there's always someone doing modifications. Dreya Weber shows up and I think a couple other veterans, and he's usually got a P90X3 test group graduate in there.

I'm starting p90x3 in January. Is anyone doing Ab Ripper X 3 after the normally scheduled work out, or are you waiting for the Elite block (4th month)? It seems like it will be weird not having to do Ab Ripper every other day, but it seems Pilates X is the "Ab Ripper" for the normal 3 month period.

I am still a bit concerned about the lack of biceps exercises in this program (I like performing biceps exercises). In the entire 1st block (3 weeks) and transition week (additional week) there is literally one bicep exercise. So for 25% of the program, you work your biceps directly 3 times total (one exercise, once a week during the first block). I realize you work them indirectly with other exercises, but it just seems like a huge oversight.

Well, chin-ups hit your biceps pretty good, so wherever those show up you'll get some work.

I previewed ARX3 before I started the program. It's pretty good! Has more of an overall core focus than the other two and seems to go by faster. But we're sticking to the Classic schedule for now.

If you have a chin-up bar, I recommend getting the Chin-Up Max assistance band. My technique was to do a) as many full range unassisted reps as I could, then b) as many negative reps as I could (jump up, hold, slow down) and then c) as many full-range assisted reps as I could do. Any one of these can be zero reps, and the goal is to get b) and c) down to zero.

Speaking of goals, the lady and I are doing health goals this year. I want to get the board's advice on goal settting for the end of March/early April.

I'm 31, about 5 five and seven inches, round abouts 153 with about 12% body fat. I'm going to start Insanity: Asylum Volume 2 today. When I complete that, I plan on taking a rest week off and then doing the hybrid Asylum 1/2 work out. Is dropping to about 10% body fat in 3 months pretty reasonable? Should I shoot for something higher/lower?

I think that sounds like a very reasonable goal! Just be sure to eat properly!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
One thing I hate about these programs is the deluxe kits come with extra workouts, which I want, but shake mix and bands that I don't need.

Are the P90X 2 and P90X 3 elite workouts worth the extra cost?

(P90X 2 Deluxe: 2 additional extreme P90X2 workouts

P90X3 Deluxe Kit: 3 Additional Extreme P90X3 Workouts)

I'd say the p90X3 deluxe kit is a better deal -- unlike the bonus workouts with p90x2, the X3 extras are part of an Elite schedule you do after the 90 days. Yeah, you get a tub of E&E pre-workout drink too, but it's a pretty effective boost especially if you workout in the morning.

Ixian

Got my P90X3 discs ripped and ready to go. :D Gonna start January 1st and use it to transition back into straight barbell training after... plus that'll give me some time to clean up my apartment to make room for my bench. x_x Haha.

teh_pwn

Holidays set me back 2.5 lbs and about 0.6" on the waist. That's accounting for transient weight. I did relatively good with food. Just too many heavy beers/wine.

Week 2 is definitely easier. I think week 3 may become a bit boring. But I expected as much. I'll probably mix phase 2/3 for long term maintenance.

Magnus

I got super jazzed at the notice in the p90x3 package of a tracking app they've designed to complement your workouts, from reps to schedules to progress reports.

Then it says available now on Google Play and coming soon to the App Store for iPhone.

I'm in bizarro world. What

I'm also thoroughly annoyed that this standard set is missing two of the workouts. I assumed the full routine would ship in the set....at least they packed in the fucking hat. Haha.

I BEGIN JAN 2.

teh_pwn

P90X3 The Challenge is a bit more Challenging with a bit of a hangover.

Quick question about p90x and the pull up exercises. Due to the layout of my living room and bedroom, being able to see my tv while doing pull ups will be a challenge. Will this be a problem?

Quick question about p90x and the pull up exercises. Due to the layout of my living room and bedroom, being able to see my tv while doing pull ups will be a challenge. Will this be a problem?

Nah. You will quickly work out how many you can do and can just go about your business and return.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
http://www.amazon.com/Tony-Hortons-P90X-FREE-Chin/dp/B00H57FRKO/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1388710101&sr=8-24&keywords=p90x

Does this seem like a good deal? I know it says the chin up bar is free, but it just doesn't show the name/model etc. It's sold by BeachBody and fulfilled by Amazon, so seems good. Yay or nay?

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Grade-Chin-up-Bar-P90X-Asylum/dp/B001ARNRRK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_9

Seems to be this one for the $74.80 savings.
Yeah, that's definitely a good deal. The DVD sets never go on sale on Amazon (that's the same price I paid years ago), but if they're throwing in a bonus that you actually want, well, there's your discount!

Top Bottom