• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Magnus

Hit it today, finally. Got past the crazy hump at work, and past my cold that started off the new year, felt ready.

P90X3, Day 1 - Felt so good! 30 intense minutes. Two of those exercises I couldn't come close to even executing correctly. Half the rest of them were tough, but manageable most of the time. The other half, I think I nailed.

YES. 30 minutes. Felt so good. I'm considering this a test week to see if I can handle each of the workouts in Week 1 before beginning in earnest next week. My body feels way too janky and broken overall to leap right into it for real - it's been like, 3 months since an actual workout of any kind before today, so that wouldn't have been smart.

Barzul

So I'm one month into Insanity and looking for a workout program to do after it. I'm thinking P90x3 but I hear Asylum is also pretty good. My goal after losing the weight from Insanity and getting the definition is to build up some muscle mass and get even more ripped. It's been great so far with Insanity the results have been really great, haven't felt this motivated to get ripped.

Tash

Not discouraging you, I love that you're determined to do it. In fact, one of my yoga pet peeves are teachers who will say "Why do you want to do it? Will it make you happier or is it just your ego?" whenever you express a desire to do an advanced pose. Just saying that if you like yoga, you definitely should look into mastering postures that will make Galavasana easier. Let us know :)

I was mostly joking :)
Do you do a lot of Yoga outside of P90X? I sometimes wish I had the time and opportunity to go to a Yoga class just to have someone properly check my posture. I also use Yogaglo every now and then.

So I'm one month into Insanity and looking for a workout program to do after it. I'm thinking P90x3 but I hear Asylum is also pretty good. My goal after losing the weight from Insanity and getting the definition is to build up some muscle mass and get even more ripped. It's been great so far with Insanity the results have been really great, haven't felt this motivated to get ripped.

I did Asylum after Insanity and really loved it. However, Asylum is very much for sport performance and not necessarily to have you build muscles. In order for that to happen you have to eat for gains AND do quite a bit of weight training. P90X would be my program of choice for that (or body beast if you REALLY want to focus on gains mostly).

On another note: I am just not hungry and I hate that. I generally ruin my metabolism during the phases where work gets in the way big time or stress and rl in general. I start eating like crap, ditching breakfast and so on..

Now I am back on track with breakfast and all but I have to literally force myself to eat. This was the same during my first round of p90X until I got kicked into overdrive. Just not feeling it yet with P90X3 even though the first week I got crazy hungry. I hope I'll get it back fast.

Do you do a lot of Yoga outside of P90X? I sometimes wish I had the time and opportunity to go to a Yoga class just to have someone properly check my posture. I also use Yogaglo every now and then.

One of my friends has just got into Yoga classes. $30 a session.

Yeah no.

Bollocks

Did P90X3 Yoga yesterday, holy shit at that pigeon move but I'm determined to nail that in the next 90 days.
It's more a balance thing than raw power.
Going into the handstand not so much, could never do one, at least not a controlled one, let's see, but that pigeon move, it's on.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Can I ask what the point of paying for shakeology is if you are just going to add all that stuff to it?

Shakeology by itself is highly nutritious. Lots of vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, a decent amount of protein and not many carbs. It's not a protein shake or recovery drink; it's a meal replacement. If weight loss is your goal, drinking it "straight" with water & ice is a great way to go about it, replacing one meal a day.

But you're doing that every day. This can get old fast. Adding things adds variety and helps to keep you from getting bored.

Also, you can tweak the numbers by adding things. I add coconut oil for MCTs. Nuts for more protein and to get some more fats in there. Bananas for more fiber & carbs, since in my case I drink it partially as a recovery drink. Cinnamon for flavor and its benefits to circulation. Berries for flavor and even more nutrients and antioxidants. Etc. When doing Body Beast I added protein powder to it, and I've even mixed in a raw egg a few times (we have chickens; I know exactly how old lot eggs are).

So, that's why I mix stuff in.

casperOne

If you're looking for mass, and want to do a Beachbody program, then I'd say do P90X. The main focus of P90X is body building/sculpting. P90X2 is for performance. P90X3 is a combination of one and two I'd say.

Also, you'll absolutely have to adjust your meals to accommodate your body's needs while building muscle.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Started Phase 2 of the P90X3 Classic schedule today with Eccentric Upper.

If you think The Challenge is for real, then you'll love this one. It alternates between pull-ups, push-ups and weights, often with compound lifts such as military presses, deep swimmer presses, and "flip flop combo" curls (curl up, hammer down). Most sets are 10 reps.

The kicker is, it's a (SLOW) 3 count on the eccentric part, and a 1 count on the concentric. So for push-ups and pull-ups you start at the top and slowly lower yourself for a 3 count, and then explosively raise up for a 1 count. The resistance moves are similar.

This is a tough workout, mostly because of the slow pull-ups (which are done of course in a number of varieties). I need a LOT of work here. I did probably half the reps using my chin-up max assist bar.

Eccentric Lower is coming up for me on Sunday. Tomorrow is Triometrics for the first time, and then X3 Yoga. Monday and Tuesday also are new workouts, Incinerator and MMX respectively.

Barzul

If you're looking for mass, and want to do a Beachbody program, then I'd say do P90X. The main focus of P90X is body building/sculpting. P90X2 is for performance. P90X3 is a combination of one and two I'd say.

Also, you'll absolutely have to adjust your meals to accommodate your body's needs while building muscle.

Thanks for the advice. I can always eat more calories if I need to, that really won't be a problem. It was more difficult to reduce my calorie intake for Insanity.

Barzul

I did Asylum after Insanity and really loved it. However, Asylum is very much for sport performance and not necessarily to have you build muscles. In order for that to happen you have to eat for gains AND do quite a bit of weight training. P90X would be my program of choice for that (or body beast if you REALLY want to focus on gains mostly).

On another note: I am just not hungry and I hate that. I generally ruin my metabolism during the phases where work gets in the way big time or stress and rl in general. I start eating like crap, ditching breakfast and so on..

Now I am back on track with breakfast and all but I have to literally force myself to eat. This was the same during my first round of p90X until I got kicked into overdrive. Just not feeling it yet with P90X3 even though the first week I got crazy hungry. I hope I'll get it back fast.

Looks like P90x it is, although I'll do some research into Body Beast since you suggested it.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Looks like P90x it is, although I'll do some research into Body Beast since you suggested it.

If you're dead-set on building mass a lot, I agree Body Beast is a really good choice. I personally wouldn't go that extreme though. I did Body Beast after a round of P90X2 and it felt like I was sacrificing a lot (cardio, yoga, stretching etc) just to gain mass. A personal preference perhaps, I guess it depends on exactly what your goal is.
I'm probably gonna do Body Beast again though, but as a hybrid with P90X3 or something.

casperOne

Thanks for the advice. I can always eat more calories if I need to, that really won't be a problem. It was more difficult to reduce my calorie intake for Insanity.

Just make sure they're the right calories. You're going to want to up protein for mass (after) as well as carbs for energy (before). Of course, too much and you'll see the wrong kinds of gain.

tmarques

I did nothing but yoga for about 10 years. When "regular" yoga ceased to challenge me I got into Ashtanga but doing the exact same sequence of postures 2 hours a day, 5 days a week can get old, which is why I finally started looking into other activities. I still do the 1st series once a week, though.

There's nothing like a GOOD yoga teacher, but the thing is anybody can open a studio so it can be difficult to find one.

Ixian

I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks of Pilates X when you get to it. It's very different! No spoilers, I want you to go through it first :)

Edit: LOL Kiriku, simultaneous posting :)
Did this today. Had some trouble getting the breathing down and it busted my core in the beginning, haha. Still not sure what to think of it but mostly because I don't think I got out of it all that I could; I lacked the flexibility to do some of the more interesting moves (like the last one).

Barzul

If you're dead-set on building mass a lot, I agree Body Beast is a really good choice. I personally wouldn't go that extreme though. I did Body Beast after a round of P90X2 and it felt like I was sacrificing a lot (cardio, yoga, stretching etc) just to gain mass. A personal preference perhaps, I guess it depends on exactly what your goal is.
I'm probably gonna do Body Beast again though, but as a hybrid with P90X3 or something.

After comparing the two programs. I think I'm looking for the overall fitness and ripped toned look I'd get from P90x versus the bigger super muscly look. I might still try it when I finish P90x. Now I just have to decide if I should do the original or do X3.

Tash

After comparing the two programs. I think I'm looking for the overall fitness and ripped toned look I'd get from P90x versus the bigger super muscly look. I might still try it when I finish P90x. Now I just have to decide if I should do the original or do X3.

If you have the time I would definitely go with P90X. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love X3 but I feel you really need to know the moves to get the best out of it right from the get go and P90X takes more time to explain what to focus on properly (especially in Yoga). I know the tough moves back from P90X so that helps. I don't have the time like I used to that is the only reason I do P90X3 over P90X.

I am curious but I fear that I won't have the same results with X3 than I had with X but I might get positively surprised, who knows :p

On the other hand, damn time flies. I can't believe I am starting transition week tomorrow :)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Speaking of P90X3, the current sale on the Challenge Pack for $180 ends on January 31st. The Challenge Pack includes the base P90X3 package plus Shakeology in the flavor of your choice on monthly auto ship. Shipping is free too. If you bought them separately it'd cost over $250 plus shipping -- it's a really good deal! http://bit.ly/INCEJ3

Triometrics for the first time shortly -- it'll be my wife's first real plyometrics workout, not counting the jumps in some of the Focus T25 routines. :)

I am curious but I fear that I won't have the same results with X3 than I had with X but I might get positively surprised, who knows :p
since they're about the same amount of time per day, do you think that power 90 and x3 are comparable to one another (results wise)?

I tried to make it through x3 day 1 but the moves were challenging to adjust to and I found myself pausing too much just to figure out what it was they were doing with their bodies on screen.

that's why I'm completing p90 before moving onto any of the X routines

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
since they're about the same amount of time per day, do you think that power 90 and x3 are comparable to one another (results wise)?

I tried to make it through x3 day 1 but the moves were challenging to adjust to and I found myself pausing too much just to figure out what it was they were doing with their bodies on screen.

I don't think so... Power90 is a great beginner program, but there's not enough variety in the exercises to generate the "muscle confusion" and overall functional fitness that P90X and P90X3 both provide.

Don't get me wrong -- especially if you haven't been exercising, Power90 is a fantastic way to start! And it's great to learn the basic moves & exercises before moving on to more advanced workouts. X3 can be done at all levels of fitness, as all the moves have modifications that can be done -- but with the short duration of the workouts, they don't spend any time telling you how to do them, so at the very least it's probably a good idea to watch the entire workout before doing it "for real". Another option is to have your remote handy, and watch them do a move for the entire time, pause, try it out, and then use the "chapter back" button to do the move along with the cast. There's no rule against pausing & rewinding as often as you need to with these workouts.

I need some help picking the right program for me. I currently weigh around 183 and I like to do active things but I'm lazy. Because of that, my body isn't in the shape where I can do a lot of things.

What I want is something that doesn't take so much of my time. I work 8-5 daily and I'm ready to commit to either p90x3 or t25 but I don't know which one is more beneficial.

Can anyone give me any advice between the two or which one I should start with first. It's been years since I've done some type of work out so I would be a beginner. Which one is more beginner friendly?

I need some help picking the right program for me. I currently weigh around 183 and I like to do active things but I'm lazy. Because of that, my body isn't in the shape where I can do a lot of things.

What I want is something that doesn't take so much of my time. I work 8-5 daily and I'm ready to commit to either p90x3 or t25 but I don't know which one is more beneficial.

Can anyone give me any advice between the two or which one I should start with first. It's been years since I've done some type of work out so I would be a beginner. Which one is more beginner friendly?
Def T25

P90x3 might be too much for a beginner imo

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Focus T25 is more beginner friendly. http://bit.ly/1hrjMvL

It's more focused on cardio to begin with, and the first phase workouts gradually build up your stamina, agility and strength. The second phase workouts introduce strength training with light weights. There's also ALWAYS someone who's modifying the moves to be less intense/have lower impact.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION

Well, based on my limited experience with T-25 I would probably agree with the others saying T-25 is the most beginner-friendly if nothing else for the fact that it's easier to get into, less equipment to be concerned about. And be prepared to get your ass kicked in the beginning.

CVX is the real deal. Definitely one of my favorite workouts so far. I was using a five pound weight and even five pounds got ridiculous after awhile!

Tash

I've never done P90 but I doubt it. P90X3 is more demanding (but in a good way and definitely in a way that everyone can do it :))

I think it's totally fine to pause here and there. I think it's a good decision if you feel you get more out of it but I also think you could go P90X3 immediately. Since the time you take to figure out the move gets made up with the intensity and science behind what kind of moves you do :)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Wrapping up transition week with CVX....oh wait Beyonce-fication....jumping to phase 2! May block 1 forever RIP in pieces.

teh_pwn

Really liking Eccentric Upper, but I'm in need of an Excel spreadsheet because I want to remember all of the weights that I did without using quill and parchment. I remember GAF had a spreadsheet for P90X way back. Is there a P90X3 one?

Tash

I am in love. Isometrix is awesome :) Even though that weird grab your ankle pose, yeah no...and grab your ankle with extended log...yeah, hell no :p

teh_pwn

I used to take a notebook with me to the gym, with videos and the Excel sheets to keep track of my workouts. I'd keep notes on reps and form as well (even though the sheets I had didn't support it).

I'm starting P90X3 today (in about 15 minutes), and I'm using a Chromebook for the videos, but obviously, no Excel.

Given that and I don't like paper sheets (hard to compare previous workouts from other cycles), I've created a Google Spreadsheet for P90X3 classic. You can view it here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/157NfvKpjn6io0Cn9dYbUTN5Vtv-nT5fZNOaKx7ba59w/edit?usp=sharing

All the exercises (not just the routines, but the exercises in the routines, where you want to track reps) are there as well as well as formulas to update the main calendar when you're done, etc.

Feel free to copy and use for yourself. Enjoy.

Ah, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Pyrokai

Heyooo! Been gone for a while, but I've still been exercising!

Update on my progress: Well, I'm in my second week of the final phase, so that means I'm only 4 weeks away from completion!

I'm starting to think I need a second round of P90X. I don't know if I'm just not eating right, or if I really just don't have the self-discipline to do this, but....I think I'm failing with P90X. I'm working my absolute hardest but I don't see any differences in my appearance. I want to share my progress pics, but I don't know if that's weird to do here or not. What do you guys think?

I'm thinking that once I'm finished with this, I should either try to do another round of it, or I should try something else to spice it up. Something like Insanity or maybe X3. I don't know. Thoughts on this?

After reading some earlier posts, I think maybe I've been overdoing it with the protein.

I feel so lost when it comes to this stuff. Really wish I was better at it. I'm trying my hardest but I just feel like I'm continually eating wrong (one day it's not enough, another day it's too much, another day it's too much protein, another day it's too much carbs.....ugh), not doing the exercises intensely enough (even though I'm working out my heart and soul....getting sore....all the signs are telling me I'm doing something right).....blaaahhhh. Sometimes, coming in here is discouraging because a lot of you have this shit down to a science. Just being honest. I think I'm doing something right and then I come in here and someone is talking about micro-level nutrition or form or something and I'm just like...."fffuuuucccckkk...maybe that's what I'm doing wrong" (good example: the-eating-too-much-protein-thing. I didn't even know this was a real thing. I might have screwed myself if this is a terrible situation to put my body into).

Anyway. Here's a question....I've definitely been able to increase my reps and weight for curls/arm exercises recently. I'm lifting 12 or 20 pound weights right now, depending on the exercise. At the beginning, 20 was just right for a couple exercises, and now it seems like they aren't enough. My only weight up from that is 30lbs, which I can't even curl one repetion with. Basically, I think I need 25lb weights. But that means another 50 bucks that I don't have after I just spent 60 bucks on the 30lb weights. SOOOOOO: Should I keep going with the 20lb weights and eventually I will be able to lift the 30lb weights? Or will that never happen and I need to get 25lb weights?

Edit: Also, would you guys say Insanity is good for upper body workouts, too? Like, can I gain at least some muscle in my upper body doing Insanity, or is it primarily for weight loss?

teh_pwn

I'm looking ahead at Triometrics. Is Dreya Webber an age defying elf? Science says....yes.

Tash

I just finished Isometrix. The two Bound Dog moves were just not doable for me. It seems my arms aren't quite long enough. :)

Same! And yeah those two are killer. I can juuuuuuuust reach my calves but no way I can get my leg up in the second version.

I am sure it will improve for both of us if we keep trying ;)

In reply to another poster:

In weight lifting it is expected to use a system of progressive overload. Basically you gradually increase the weight every day you perform the exercise. The whole point of aiming for a specific rep range is to give you an idea of when you should feel that intense burn, but you're wasting your time if you hit 12 reps and stop while not feeling that way.

Having some heavy weights and then smaller ones you can add to the dumbbell is the way to go.

Majestad

Banned
For those who are doing X3, how would you compare it to x1 and x2? Are there a lot of pull-ups for the resistance workouts? I don't have strong doorframes so i can't get a pull-up bar.

I can't wait to start it next month.

Pyrokai

In reply to another poster:

In weight lifting it is expected to use a system of progressive overload. Basically you gradually increase the weight every day you perform the exercise. The whole point of aiming for a specific rep range is to give you an idea of when you should feel that intense burn, but you're wasting your time if you hit 12 reps and stop while not feeling that way.

Having some heavy weights and then smaller ones you can add to the dumbbell is the way to go.

You're replying to me, right? What I've been doing is that I *do* try to find the burn when doing some reps. If I'm using a 20lb weight for a move, early in the program it took me 8 or 9 reps before I hit a big burn/fatigued. Now that same exercise with the same weight takes me about 13-14 reps to get the same effect. However, if I use my next weight up (30lb), I can't even do 1 rep because it's just too heavy for me, and if I do get it up it ends up just being a cheat rep with some extra body movement or something. That's why I asked if I should by a 25lb. weight. You're saying this is the way to go, right?

My weights are all stand-alone dumb bells and I can't add 1 or 2 extra pounds to them. Did I make a huge mistake?

teh_pwn

For those who are doing X3, how would you compare it to x1 and x2? Are there a lot of pull-ups for the resistance workouts? I don't have strong doorframes so i can't get a pull-up bar.

X3 is a refined, 30 minute version of X1 with more Yoga and general fitness thrown into various workouts.

X2 is "buy all of these weird tools to do workouts differently"

Kain

CVX is where it's at alright. I did it the first time with 6 lbs, then alternated with a 6 and an 8 and the third week with only the 8 and oh boy it hurts! I plan to do it the next time with a 13 and hope I dont' break.

Just did MMX by the way. All those sprawls are killers, when I finished the burnout phase I collapsed to the floor (didn't faint or anything, just pure tired), something that didn't happen with Kenpo X. Love it.

When I do the second run I plan to change Agility for CVX or MMX. I felt Agility was very lackluster.

teh_pwn

Triometrics is so good. Really a good beginner to moderate lower body strength builder.

I've always been a bit weaker in my lower body, but I'm fit enough to keep up with P90X3 and the lower body gains are rapid.

teh_pwn

Where are you fitness gaf? Gaf has let itself go. The weight loss topic is buried pages deep while there are multiple taco bell topics invaliding OT.

Tash

You can tell it's everything they learned and used in/from X and X2 put to great use in X3.
There is a lot of Yoga and Core in all the workouts instead if just focusing on one specific part for the day. Lots of muscle integration in everything. As mentioned above, less tools needed :)

There are quite a few pull-up focused workouts (The challenge, Synergyistic X, etc). If you can find a safe spot to mount bands you can always use the band modifications.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Two new workouts done this weekend:

Eccentric Lower -- slow 3-count on the eccentric, explosive 1-count on the concentric. Great workout but I needed to use heavier weights on a couple of the moves. I need a LOT of work on pistol squats. So hard to get a good range of motion on these!

Incinerator -- burn those muscles! 10 reps of a resistance move followed by 30 seconds max-rep bodyweight move using the same muscle groups. So, for example, renegade rows followed by pull-ups. Again for some of the moves the weight I chose was too light, but this is another great workout. Definitely has an upper-body + core bias, which is fine considering it comes the day after Eccentric Lower.

Phase 2 marches on! MMX tomorrow.

Hey all, I'm about to start my 4th week of Insanity. Just trying to plan ahead a little bit, do I have to have a break after the full 2 months are over, or can i have a recover week and start fresh?

Top Bottom