• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

casperOne

you are provided with specially sized, color-coded plastic containers that you put different types of food in (carbs, proteins, fruits, vegetables, etc) and that's how you build up portions for your meals. Takes all the guesswork out of it.

It's nothing revolutionary, but I've never thought of doing something as simple as that.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
It's nothing revolutionary, but I've never thought of doing something as simple as that.

Yep. Nice to have had someone do all the work for you. This pic shows how they're used:

XBAnXbz.jpg

SystemBug

so im a p90 newbie and it's my third day today. After doing chest and back (day 1) my arms have been sore. Day 2 wasn't bad because it was plyometrics but today is shoulder and arms. I can't really straighten or bend my arms all the way, and I was wondering if I should still continue or do this tomorrow?

Ixian

so im a p90 newbie and it's my third day today. After doing chest and back (day 1) my arms have been sore. Day 2 wasn't bad because it was plyometrics but today is shoulder and arms. I can't really straighten or bend my arms all the way, and I was wondering if I should still continue or do this tomorrow?
I usually find after the warm up plus a few painful moves I can get through the rest just fine.

alright thanks! will get started in a bit

You need to push through and stretch it out. Once you start moving you'll be ok, even if your weights and reps are way down.

This is all to be expected, so just write it all down and by week 2 you will not be sore any more.

This is where I think Tony really shines. As advanced as people are in the videos, I never got the feeling I was inadequate. His phrase "do your best and forget the rest" really resonated with me and allowed me to get the most that I could out of the workout. He stresses this point in a number of different ways as well. The motivation to focus on doing your best is one of the things that sets P90X apart from other workout programs, IMO.

Combine that with the tracking sheets (track everything, form, level of effort, weight, reps) and you'll find that it's not the people you're trying to beat, but yourself, always trying to get better.

Well said. The other key is to take photos. You will not necessarily lose weight, so you might be discouraged. But I bet the photos will tell the true story of what is going on.

SystemBug

You need to push through and stretch it out. Once you start moving you'll be ok, even if your weights and reps are way down.

This is all to be expected, so just write it all down and by week 2 you will not be sore any more.

Yeah once I got into the motion the soreness became a non-issue. I have trouble doing flys but even when was more fit and started hitting the gym a few years (did it for a few months) flys were still enemy number 1.

And_Boy

Hi everyone, as completely new to BeachBody workouts, I am very excited to start exercising! I live in Europe and have a rare opportunity to import programs, so I'd like to ask some questions before buying:
  1. I'm going to import Focus T25 (doing this first) and P90X3 kits: how important it is to follow exactly the same instructions as in Nutrition Guide? Do those two guides differ from each other very much?
  2. Where do you go after T25 and P90X3 - Insanity (is there a point in doing P90/X/X2)?

I never liked some of the non-resistance workouts in P90X but I may replace them with their P90X3 equivalents so I end up with a p90x/p90x3 hybrid.

Hi everyone, as completely new to BeachBody workouts, I am very excited to start exercising! I live in Europe and have a rare opportunity to import programs, so I'd like to ask some questions before buying:
  1. I'm going to import Focus T25 (doing this first) and P90X3 kits: how important it is to follow exactly the same instructions as in Nutrition Guide? Do those two guides differ from each other very much?
  2. Where do you go after T25 and P90X3 - Insanity (is there a point in doing P90/X/X2)?

P90X has better resistance workouts in my opinion. P90X3 rushes through them far too quickly which is not ideal when it comes to lifting weights.

Also, all p90x packages come with different schedule variations so by trying all 4 different variations (Lean, Classic, Doubles, Mass) you could get through 12 months of p90x 3.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Probably going to take Sunday off. My shoulders feel overworked. Sat leaning forward all day at work and at a bar last night. Know your limits!

my opinion. P90X3 rushes through them far too quickly which is not ideal when it comes to lifting weights.

Also, all p90x packages come with different schedule variations so by trying all 4 different variations (Lean, Classic, Doubles, Mass) you could get through 12 months of p90x 3.

You may be right. But until I master Eccentric Upper, lower, triometrics and incinerator, I pause frequently. Long term when I formulate an aggregate of workouts for maintenance and I have mastered them, I'll blast through them with no pausing, and that will be awesome. Efficient 30 minute workouts to maintain. I think the only workout with intolerable cheese is the warrior, so I won't use that one.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Tried MMX today, worked up a real sweat on that one. Feels like a natural, and more intense, progression of Kenpo X. Which I think is great, because I found that while Kenpo X was fun, it was way too easy unless I added weights and did a lot more bonus reps.
One problem with MMX though, it's one of the more complicated workout routines in P90X3 IMO. I remember having problems keeping up with Kenpo X in P90X initially, and because the pace is higher in MMX it's even harder to grasp what's going on. But I'll get used to it I'm sure.

teh_pwn

Yeah, MMX works up a sweat, but it's like the taco bell of P90X workouts. There are maybe 6 different moves that are mixed up every exercise, and it's easy to forget you're supposed to do an elbow instead of an uppercut.

RSP

About two years ago, I did two months of P90X. I fealt great, got in shape again and had a lot of energy. I stopped working out for a long time because my girlfriend got pregnant (and because its a bit weird to do jumping jacks in the attic while the baby is sleeping. I do go to a gym, but it's only two times a week (hour workout) so it isn't really doing enough for me.

I should just get back on the program. Don't really know what is holding me back.

Pyrokai

Ugh, today I ate like a garbage disposal. I ate so much food of whatever I wanted. Not too smart, but I just felt like binge eating. Also, yesterday, I was so incredibly busy that I wasn't able to work out, and at night I went over to see some friends that I hadn't seen in such a long time because I live out of town now. Had a few too many drinks and was pretty hungover today. Probably why I ate like a pig. My god....I don't even think I can repeat the things here that I put inside me today. Embarrassing.

So.....yeah..... two days of not working out mid week. I guess it's a setback but I'm not going to let it discourage me. Tomorrow I'm doubling up and doing Legs & Back and Kenpo in the same day. Then I'm skipping the typical rest day and going straight to Shoulders, Chest, & Triceps. I like this routine.

I'm starting to think about what is going to come after this when I'm done. Should I do another round of P90X, get Insanity, or maybe go for P90X3?/

My personal fitness goals are to gain muscle and lose fat, and I'm currently remotely skinny right now but have a nice layer of fat on my belly yet. I really want to give Insanity a shot but I'm not sure it's good for building upper body muscle.....anyone care to give me their insight on this?

Edit: Also, SystemBlog, don't feel alone!! I am just now finishing up my very first round of P90X. If you look through the last few pages dating back to mid-November you can see all my own personal struggles, and I'm still having a lot of issues....most notably better performance but no visual results :( .

teh_pwn

I always gain muscle and a bit of fat with weights, so I cycle between phase 2 stuff for about a month, and a couple of weeks of cardio and dieting if I'm trying to build lean mass.

teh_pwn

Also, don't be discouraged if you ate poorly 1 day. It's about long term. With P90X3, your maintenance intake is probably 3000-3500 per day so it's not as bad as you think.

Probably been asked quite a bit already, but yay or nay on P90X3?

I've been doing P90X for a couple of years now, but I'm kind of in a funk, and at this point I'm mainly using P90X to supplement other workouts. I was thinking about buying P90X3 just to give myself a new shot of motivation.

Also, basic or deluxe? Deluxe is super expensive, obviously.

Pyrokai

Also, don't be discouraged if you ate poorly 1 day. It's about long term. With P90X3, your maintenance intake is probably 3000-3500 per day so it's not as bad as you think.

Thanks, appreciate that. Also.....Do you mean maintainable as in how many calories to eat per day to maintain current wait???

teh_pwn

To maintain current weight, P90X3 is probably going to add 800 calories to maintenance if you're doing the workouts. ~500 calories during the workout, and something like 300 to repair/grow tissue over time. I'm throwing guesstimate numbers out there #broScience #OoopsThisIsn'tFacebookWhereI'mMakingFunOfHastags

Buy a waist circumference tape. Seriously, everyone should have this. Weight doesn't really matter as much as waist circumference. Over the last month since my cut phase, I have "gained" 5 pounds, but my waist hasn't changed at all. Not even 0.1" on average. I'm gaining lean tissue, and probably some transient liquids/digestion.

Probably been asked quite a bit already, but yay or nay on P90X3?

I've been doing P90X for a couple of years now, but I'm kind of in a funk, and at this point I'm mainly using P90X to supplement other workouts. I was thinking about buying P90X3 just to give myself a new shot of motivation.

Also, basic or deluxe? Deluxe is super expensive, obviously.

I'm doing the cheapest one, and it's fine. I like it. Definitely nay to P90X2 because it requires a bunch of equipment. P90X has really long 90 minute workouts with too much emphasis on pullups in my opinion.

P90X3 is much more balanced. My one criticism is that the 30 minute workout only really applies after you've mastered it. The first time I did Triometrics, I probably did it over 60 minutes because I paused so much.

I'm doing the cheapest one, and it's fine. I like it. Definitely nay to P90X2 because it requires a bunch of equipment. P90X has really long 90 minute workouts with too much emphasis on pullups in my opinion.

P90X3 is much more balanced. My one criticism is that the 30 minute workout only really applies after you've mastered it. The first time I did Triometrics, I probably did it over 60 minutes because I paused so much.
Thanks. I just ordered from Amazon. I like that the workouts are generally shorter. I always have a hard time getting up early enough before work to get a workout in, so this should help.

I wish you could buy BeachBody workouts in stores. Sucks that I have to wait until Tuesday for it to arrive.

Just to be clear, if I have all the equipment for P90X, do I have everything I need for P90X3?

Starting P90X3 as a total beginner. We're talking 274 pounds as of this morning. If I can do this then it is proof that anyone can. I got the deluxe version as I already have the pullup bar from buying P90X.

The problem is I cannot do a single pullup and I won't use bands because I'm finding that they don't really work that well to simulate pullups. Also I know that one day they will snap and kill me.

I'm really hoping this will hold my attention. I managed to get through two full weeks of P90X before sciatica took me out for nearly two months. Ever since that happened I sort of gave up. Tried to do Power 90 here and there but it was too easy/too boring to get through. P90X was fun, even yoga which does wonders for my back. I would retry p90x but I think I need something between P90 and P90X with regards to time and difficultly, and P90X3 seems to be that.

Anyway I have a question. Since I can't do pullups, how effective are negative pullups? Anybody start with those and work up to the "real" versions? I'm 6'4 so using chair assisted pullups is almost impossible.

Stampy

Anyway I have a question. Since I can't do pullups, how effective are negative pullups? Anybody start with those and work up to the "real" versions? I'm 6'4 so using chair assisted pullups is almost impossible.

Use bands for assisted pull ups. (You put them on your feet) That way you can make pull ups really easy.

teh_pwn

Thanks. I just ordered from Amazon. I like that the workouts are generally shorter. I always have a hard time getting up early enough before work to get a workout in, so this should help.

I wish you could buy BeachBody workouts in stores. Sucks that I have to wait until Tuesday for it to arrive.

Just to be clear, if I have all the equipment for P90X, do I have everything I need for P90X3?

Yep, you just need a pullup bar, dumb bells, and pushup stands. I mean you can use bands and they cheer lead it as an alternative, but it's just too slow for me.

I feel much better today. Canceling rest day and doing Triometrics.

teh_pwn

Done with Triometrics, and the irritation is back. I think it's tense muscles on my neck/shoulder that's causing a tension headache. Taking ibuprofen, but I wan to also stretch to expedite recovery. Any particular stretches recommended? I'm thinking I should sleep without a pillow tonight.

Majestad

Banned
Done with Triometrics, and the irritation is back. I think it's tense muscles on my neck/shoulder that's causing a tension headache. Taking ibuprofen, but I wan to also stretch to expedite recovery. Any particular stretches recommended? I'm thinking I should sleep without a pillow tonight.

Foam-roller.

teh_pwn

Foam rolled complete. I'm taking tomorrow off to be sure. Irritated kneck/shoulder makes workouts and everyday life suck.

casperOne

Tried MMX today, worked up a real sweat on that one. Feels like a natural, and more intense, progression of Kenpo X. Which I think is great, because I found that while Kenpo X was fun, it was way too easy unless I added weights and did a lot more bonus reps.

One problem with MMX though, it's one of the more complicated workout routines in P90X3 IMO. I remember having problems keeping up with Kenpo X in P90X initially, and because the pace is higher in MMX it's even harder to grasp what's going on. But I'll get used to it I'm sure.

Yeah, MMX works up a sweat, but it's like the taco bell of P90X workouts. There are maybe 6 different moves that are mixed up every exercise, and it's easy to forget you're supposed to do an elbow instead of an uppercut.

I LOVE MMX. I was frustrated that there wasn't a Kenpo X-style workout in P90X2, and they've really delivered with this (and I'm coming to like "The Warrior" more and more too).

That said, it's definitely more complicated than Kenpo X, but I'm sure I'll have the routines down by the end of this round.

The problem is I cannot do a single pullup and I won't use bands because I'm finding that they don't really work that well to simulate pullups.

IMO, negative pull ups are really complimentary to the positive pull ups. You're going to be able to strengthen your back, but you want the "combo platter" to get the full use of your back.

That said, I've commented that I used to use assist a lot, and that it never got me to a full pull up. My advise is to try and do one, focus on form, breathing, core and back engagement. You're not going to get it the first time, you're not going to get it a lot, but you'll do better every time, and eventually you'll get there.

Hopefully it will work for you.

p90x grad here since yesterday. today 1st day of p90x3 doubles.

What's the schedule for that like? I've been trying to find the schedules for the other workouts, as I've considered doing doubles or adding a little more (also, wondering what the elite workouts are like).

Use bands for assisted pull ups. (You put them on your feet) That way you can make pull ups really easy.

Can you find pull-up bands at places like Dick's or Sports Authority?

I used to be okay at pull-ups, but I've gotten soft and I could use the help. If pull-up bands are more helpful than chair-assisted pull-ups, I'd like to go that route instead.

LaneDS

I keep failing to get motivated enough to stick with the program after a few false starts. Posting (again) in the hopes that today's the day I get back on the wagon. I've got X3 but haven't tried it yet (watched five minutes of the first workout) but think I'm going to again start with X1 workouts tonight after work.

Stampy

Can you find pull-up bands at places like Dick's or Sports Authority?

I used to be okay at pull-ups, but I've gotten soft and I could use the help. If pull-up bands are more helpful than chair-assisted pull-ups, I'd like to go that route instead.

Any regular band will do, it doesn't have to be a pull up band. You just toss it over the bar and put it under your foot. You do the same for your other foot for an easier and more balanced pull. Just buy some quality bands and you are fine.

I'm almost sure no bands will support his 274 pounds. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Hmm, I am not sure why that would matter? I mean when I put the bands over my feet. I still stand on the ground and the bar is over two metters. So no matter if he is 100 pounds or 274 pounds. He would stretch the bands with the same length: distance between the bar and the floor.

Tash

Triometrics was quite different than I expected. For some reason I thought it would be like Plyo but it felt much more like leg day in P90X..or maybe I just remember plyo differently. Either way, I really, really love it since my lower body is my weak spot..

Needed to take short breaks here and there, though.

Tash

Starting P90X3 as a total beginner. We're talking 274 pounds as of this morning. If I can do this then it is proof that anyone can. I got the deluxe version as I already have the pullup bar from buying P90X.

The problem is I cannot do a single pullup and I won't use bands because I'm finding that they don't really work that well to simulate pullups. Also I know that one day they will snap and kill me.

I'm really hoping this will hold my attention. I managed to get through two full weeks of P90X before sciatica took me out for nearly two months. Ever since that happened I sort of gave up. Tried to do Power 90 here and there but it was too easy/too boring to get through. P90X was fun, even yoga which does wonders for my back. I would retry p90x but I think I need something between P90 and P90X with regards to time and difficultly, and P90X3 seems to be that.

Use a chair to start if you don't trust the bands method :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Tried Eccentric Upper today. Now I understand what I'm up against, basically like the Tempo workouts in Body Beast, the ones that always drained all my energy. This will be a fun battle. :)

teh_pwn

Maybe I'm getting too old to digest lots of protein naturally, but I started taking digestive enzymes and digestion hasn't been this good in over a decade. No bloat, gas, anything. Just fast, uneventful digestion. I can eat large meals after workouts and my waist circumference barely increases. It's awesome.

It's also possible that I've become addicted to Sriracha.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Missed a day yesterday. We had a power outage that must have encompassed my two morning alarms (4:45 and 5), because I woke up and it was 6:10. (My clock sets the time itself.) so today is yesterday's Incinerator, and tomorrow instead of Dynamix I'll do today's MMX.

Also, 21 Day Fix is now available! http://bit.ly/1bVWfz3

Only $140 for the challenge pack. So you get the workouts, meal plan with restaurant guide, specially sized color-coded containers for portion control, a shaker cup and 1/3 of your meals for the first month. It's the best challenge pack deal yet.

People in the test groups lost a lot of weight doing this one or more times. One gentleman lost over 100 lbs in 10 rounds -- that's less than 7 months.

I think this one is going to be popular...

Tash

Missed a day yesterday. We had a power outage that must have encompassed my two morning alarms (4:45 and 5), because I woke up and it was 6:10. (My clock sets the time itself.) so today is yesterday's Incinerator, and tomorrow instead of Dynamix I'll do today's MMX.

Also, 21 Day Fix is now available! http://bit.ly/1bVWfz3

Only $140 for the challenge pack. So you get the workouts, meal plan with restaurant guide, specially sized color-coded containers for portion control, a shaker cup and 1/3 of your meals for the first month. It's the best challenge pack deal yet.

People in the test groups lost a lot of weight doing this one or more times. One gentleman lost over 100 lbs in 10 rounds -- that's less than 7 months.

I think this one is going to be popular...

That's an amazing offer. Would totally go for it if I was in the US :(
Pretty sure this will be the fastest selling program yet. It's like WoW was to MMOs..

casperOne

Triometrics was quite different than I expected. For some reason I thought it would be like Plyo but it felt much more like leg day in P90X..or maybe I just remember plyo differently. Either way, I really, really love it since my lower body is my weak spot..

Needed to take short breaks here and there, though.

Still need to take short breaks with Triometrics, Plyometrics and Plyocide. I try not to do it with Triometrics, given the shortened time.

Oh, same with Insanity, definitely need breaks there.

I find that my lower back gives me issues with Triometics as I go through it. I've had lower back issues, but the solution to that is a stronger core.

If you have the time (an hour) why not stack Dynamix on top of MMX and get back on track? I'm behind a day this week, but tomorrow is supposed to be Yoga, today was supposed to be lower Eccentric. I've stacked those before (Yoga is much harder, but doable), and Dynamix is easily stackable on top of anything if you have the time.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Oh, same with Insanity, definitely need breaks there.

One thing with Insanity -- it's OK to take breaks, but don't press pause. Instead, rest towards the end of a movement, and be ready to start the next one on-time. Since Insanity is all about interval training, it's very important NOT to pause -- otherwise your heart rate may drop down lower than you want, reducing the effectiveness of the exercise.

casperOne said:
If you have the time (an hour) why not stack Dynamix on top of MMX and get back on track? I'm behind a day this week, but tomorrow is supposed to be Yoga, today was supposed to be lower Eccentric. I've stacked those before (Yoga is much harder, but doable), and Dynamix is easily stackable on top of anything if you have the time.

I might do that. I'm generally in the gym room earlier than my wife, so I could fit in a round of Dynamix before she comes down for the "main" workout.

After we finish P90X3 (including the Elite Block), we're going to do a round of 21 Day Fix and then I'm thinking of putting us on a P90X3 Doubles schedule. I'll do the extra workout early, and my wife will just do the second workout. Either that or we'll do the Mass schedule.

casperOne

One thing with Insanity -- it's OK to take breaks, but don't press pause. Instead, rest towards the end of a movement, and be ready to start the next one on-time.

Never have with any of my workouts (Insanity, P90X series) for the reasons you state.

I might do that. I'm generally in the gym room earlier than my wife, so I could fit in a round of Dynamix before she comes down for the "main" workout.

Personally, I figure Yoga/Dynamix is a good post workout, but if you are looking to get protein into your system, or use it as an extended warm up, I think that would work quite well.

casperOne

X3 arrived today! I'll kick it off as soon as I get home from work.

Any general suggestions as I get started?

Like P90X2, there's an emphasis on core (more so than P90X, less than Insanity). It's important, focus on it while you do your exercises, you'll be the better for it.

Do Yoga and Dynamix (lots of people skip), it's worth doing.

Like P90X2, there's an emphasis on core (more so than P90X, less than Insanity). It's important, focus on it while you do your exercises, you'll be the better for it.

Do Yoga and Dynamix (lots of people skip), it's worth doing.

Gracias. Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm doing a quick watch of the first workout. (I actually might start first thing tomorrow morning instead of tonight.) So basically, the routines are more comprehensive and not specifically targeting specific muscle groups? I really like that. It's so easy to start skipping workouts in P90X because you're dreading a specific routine. This kind of forces of you to get to everything on a regular basis, if I'm understanding it correctly.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I enjoy X3 so far (I'm on week 2). The 30 minute workouts make me more apt to not skip. Also the moves are different from X1/2. It does seem a bit easier, but it's less time and only week 2. I do wish the MMX stuff was in month 1 though. Kenpo was my favorite Saturday workout because it was fun and I didn't dread doing it.

Not seeing any weight loss yet, but it's only week 2.

Side question, anyone make their own meal replacement shakes to take to work for lunch? I want to do it, but I want something that gives me enough to get through the rest of the work day, yet doesn't cost a fortune. What should I put in a shake to give me plenty of energy for the afternoon but allow me to lose weight? Shakeology is a bit too expensive. Making my own seems better.

teh_pwn

Cold Start: Yay or nay?

What does that even mean in P90X3. The warmup is like 2 minutes. So I do it. I definitely skipped them in P90X2. They were like 20 minutes.

Taking 1 more day off. Shoulder slightly tweakish, but nearly better. Getting more vascular - heavier yet my waist is the same.

Top Bottom