• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Majestad

Banned
Tony's book came out today:

zNwTxDp.jpg

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0062282395/ref=aw_ls__8?colid=38SAQO4434583&coliid=IW8C9XZNUUN9Y

I'm getting it for kindle.

Ixian

Some of these moves could be a bit tricky with my PowerBlocks.
Yeah, there's one or two that are kinda weird due to how bulky PowerBlocks are. Rather than order dumbbells, I just ordered a set of bands for when I'm on vacation and plan on using those for the awkward movements.
I was referring to the extra Cold Start warmup routines. Are they worthwhile at all?
I've yet to bother, but I'm decently in shape and live in a warm area too.

fader

so i started 3-4 of power 90 today.... and i feel like death. Holy shit did this kick my ass. I was breezing through 1-2 like it was nothing and now after 3-4 i totally feel like im not in shape lol. shit man.

Tash

I got the book for kindle, too :)
Got a weird problem: when I bend my right elbow my little finger starts falling asleep -.-

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I was referring to the extra Cold Start warmup routines. Are they worthwhile at all?

It's a pretty good warm up routine. I tried it out once, but I haven't really felt like I had to do it. I usually spend a few minutes limbering up prior to the workouts anyway. The X3 workouts that benefit from some sort of warmup I've found to have adequate warmup time built in.

so i started 3-4 of power 90 today.... and i feel like death. Holy shit did this kick my ass. I was breezing through 1-2 like it was nothing and now after 3-4 i totally feel like im not in shape lol. shit man.

Just think where you'll be in a few weeks! You made it this far, now you're at your next challenge. As Tony says, "it's SUPPOSED to be hard!" :)

I got the book for kindle, too :)
Got a weird problem: when I bend my right elbow my little finger starts falling asleep -.-

(Tony Schwarzenegger) "That's because your biceps have become so massive they cut off da circulation!"

Dunno though, pinched nerve?

Well Christ, that was ugly.

God, I've gotten so inflexible. Definitely kicking myself for neglecting yoga for the last year or so.

As expected, the PowerBlocks don't work too well. I've got an old set of adjustable dumbbells that I can use, but they've gotten a bit rusty.

I'm really considering splurging and getting this full rubber dumbbell set. I'm getting tired of adjustable dumbbells, and even though I'm in a pretty modest apartment, I think I can find room for this rack.

I'm on week 2 of the Insanity Asylume Volume 1 and 2 hybrid workout and forgot to look at what work out I'm doing today. Can someone tell me what the third workout for the week is supposed to be? I did Upper Elite Monday and Power Legs yesterday

Majestad

Banned
Well Christ, that was ugly.

God, I've gotten so inflexible. Definitely kicking myself for neglecting yoga for the last year or so.

As expected, the PowerBlocks don't work too well. I've got an old set of adjustable dumbbells that I can use, but they've gotten a bit rusty.

I'm really considering splurging and getting this full rubber dumbbell set. I'm getting tired of adjustable dumbbells, and even though I'm in a pretty modest apartment, I think I can find room for this rack.

A grand for dumbbells? Dang. I'd love to buy this when I have a big house so I can build my own gym there.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Side question, anyone make their own meal replacement shakes to take to work for lunch? I want to do it, but I want something that gives me enough to get through the rest of the work day, yet doesn't cost a fortune. What should I put in a shake to give me plenty of energy for the afternoon but allow me to lose weight? Shakeology is a bit too expensive. Making my own seems better.

Posted on the end of the last page, so reposting. Any help?

Okay, I think I'm going to buy that dumbbell set/rack.

It's something I've wanted to buy for a while, so I might as well go for it now.

The Amazon Store Card will count as my new line of credit for the year. I can pay off $1,019 in twelve months with no trouble whatsoever.

Ixian

Prettttty crazy. I've done every P90X routine that involves a dumbbell and only felt the PowerBlocks were inadequate for a couple of moves.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Posted on the end of the last page, so reposting. Any help?

Shakeology sounds expensive until you realize that it's 30 meals (24 if you get the individual packets). If you replace a meal that would normally cost you more than the price of Shakeology divided by 30 or 24, then you end up saving in the end. With shipping and tax, you're paying about $4.75/shake if you pay full retail.

Also, if you become a Coach, you get a 25% discount so even with the $15.95/mo business fee you still save on the monthly cost, and shipping is only $2 if you get it on auto-ship. This drops the per-shake cost to about $3.85-$3.95. For a meal.

Now, obviously if you add ingredients like I do (milk/almond milk, fruit, nuts, etc) that'll increase the price a bit.

From a "I'll make my own" standpoint, you can't build the exact equivalent for the cost -- the individual ingredients are too expensive. That doesn't mean you couldn't make something that's healthy, though. But you'll have to research what to put in it, and figure out the costs per shake to compare it to Shakeology.

Prettttty crazy. I've done every P90X routine that involves a dumbbell and only felt the PowerBlocks were inadequate for a couple of moves.

It really isn't a knee-jerk purchase, though it kind of looks like one. I've been eying that set for a while, and this was a good reason to finally go for it.

I just can't do those moves that require holding onto the sides of a dumbbell with the PowerBlocks. I can't get a proper grip on the smooth metal surfaces; they slide around like crazy and I nearly dropped the weight multiple times. And I found Side Rise Punch almost impossible to complete with the bulkiness of the PowerBlocks.

Honestly, I've been less than happy with my PowerBlocks for a while. The pins started to stick a few months ago, which has made switching weights increasingly slow and problematic. And they've always been a bit too bulky for my liking. They've pretty much been a stopgap measure until I got up the nerve to buy a full set.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
It really isn't a knee-jerk purchase, though it kind of looks like one. I've been eying that set for a while, and this was a good reason to finally go for it.

I just can't do those moves that require holding onto the sides of a dumbbell with the PowerBlocks. I can't get a proper grip on the smooth metal surfaces; they slide around like crazy and I nearly dropped the weight multiple times. And I found Side Rise Punch almost impossible to complete with the bulkiness of the PowerBlocks.

Honestly, I've been less than happy with my PowerBlocks for a while. The pins started to stick a few months ago, which has made switching weights increasingly slow and problematic. And they've always been a bit too bulky for my liking. They've pretty much been a stopgap measure until I got up the nerve to buy a full set.

I think you're doing the right thing. Individual dumbbell sets are definitely the way to go.

Korosenai

Steve, I forgot to post in here about it, but i've been making the Blueberry Vanilla Shakeology and it. is. delicious! I'm in love with it.

1 scoop of Shakeology
1/2 cup of blueberries
1/2 cup of almond milk (unsweetened)
1/2 cup of water
6 ice cubes
1 tbsp of cinnamon (not on the recipe, but I decided to put it in)
2 tbsp of peanut butter (pb2)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Shakeology sounds expensive until you realize that it's 30 meals (24 if you get the individual packets). If you replace a meal that would normally cost you more than the price of Shakeology divided by 30 or 24, then you end up saving in the end. With shipping and tax, you're paying about $4.75/shake if you pay full retail.

Also, if you become a Coach, you get a 25% discount so even with the $15.95/mo business fee you still save on the monthly cost, and shipping is only $2 if you get it on auto-ship. This drops the per-shake cost to about $3.85-$3.95. For a meal.

Now, obviously if you add ingredients like I do (milk/almond milk, fruit, nuts, etc) that'll increase the price a bit.

From a "I'll make my own" standpoint, you can't build the exact equivalent for the cost -- the individual ingredients are too expensive. That doesn't mean you couldn't make something that's healthy, though. But you'll have to research what to put in it, and figure out the costs per shake to compare it to Shakeology.

If I were to do Shakeology for lunch every day during the week that'd be about 20 shakes a month. How much would that typically cost? Also does it give you enough energy to finish the day?

Korosenai

If I were to do Shakeology for lunch every day during the week that'd be about 20 shakes a month. How much would that typically cost? Also does it give you enough energy to finish the day?

How much do you usually pay for lunch?

And you can usually find Shakeology on ebay for $100 w/ free shipping. If you're doing it as a one time kind of thing to test it out, that might be your best option. That way it also comes out to $3.33 per shake.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The best way to try Shakeology is the Taste Sampler Pack. http://bit.ly/1eqRt2m $19.95 + s&h and you get 4 packs, two Chocolate, one Vanilla and one Greenberry.

I wish they had Strawberry in it -- I guess it's too new. I imagine later in the year they'll replace one of the Chocolates with a Strawberry, so you'd get one of each non-Vegan flavor.

A serving (made with water) of Chocolate Shakeology has 160 calories. 2g fat, 17g carbs, 17g protein, plus lots of vitamins, minerals, etc. etc. Here's the supplement facts label for Chocolate.

I usually mix mine with ice and milk (or almond milk), nuts, and various types of fruit. Nub's recipe above is really good, I've made similar recipes! With the extra ingredients you can tweak the macronutrients. I also usually add a spoonful of coconut oil for some good MCTs.

Also you can only get Shakeology through a Coach -- so if you are considering it, consider switching coaches to me :)

fader

Just think where you'll be in a few weeks! You made it this far, now you're at your next challenge. As Tony says, "it's SUPPOSED to be hard!" :)

I definitely have to keep this in mind..

made really good progress with just 1-2. top part of my abs are showing. thigh's and calf's getting chiseled. guess i should be happy im actually being challenged now

Pyrokai

Those are rubber? They look metal....or are the grips rubber? Mine look just like that but the middle part is metal. Am I doing it wrong?

Anyway....I've seriously been considering getting Powerblocks instead of always needing to buy dumbbells (two at a time.......in increments of 5lbs......), but just on this page a lot of people said they're awkward to use for a lot of P90X routines. What do you guys think? I'm poor as hell, and I can't decide if it's worth getting Powerblocks and selling my current set of 12, 20, and 30lb weights (I'd get, like, 100 dollars for that) to fund the purchase of Powerblocks.....or if I should just keep building the collection. It's a pain to be lugging these things around....I don't know....I think I'm just going to continue building this collection instead of getting the Powerblocks.

Also, is joining Team Beachbody not free? I was thinking that for more advice other than this thread, I could join the Beachbody forums Tony is always suggesting. I see it's evolved quite a bit more :p . When I went to register, it wants my billing info. How exactly does this work? I'm seeing now that it's 2.99 per week. Is there a free alternative? Remember, I'm poor as hell here :p

Those are rubber? They look metal....or are the grips rubber? Mine look just like that but the middle part is metal. Am I doing it wrong?

The ends are rubber and the grips are metal.

Anyway....I've seriously been considering getting Powerblocks instead of always needing to buy dumbbells (two at a time.......in increments of 5lbs......), but just on this page a lot of people said they're awkward to use for a lot of P90X routines. What do you guys think? I'm poor as hell, and I can't decide if it's worth getting Powerblocks and selling my current set of 12, 20, and 30lb weights (I'd get, like, 100 dollars for that) to fund the purchase of Powerblocks.....or if I should just keep building the collection. It's a pain to be lugging these things around....I don't know....I think I'm just going to continue building this collection instead of getting the Powerblocks.

Overall, my PowerBlocks work fine for P90X routines, but they seem to be far too bulky and awkward for P90X3. (At least for me. YMMV.)

Also, after having my PowerBlocks for two years, I'm concerned about their long-term durability. As I stated earlier, the pins in mine get stuck quite a lot, despite my repeated attempts to straighten them out.

And switching the weight just isn't as fast as I'd like. I have to pause frequently, which is annoying.

Ixian

If you were interested in PowerBlocks, I'd say sell your 20s and 30s and keep the 12s. The exercises where the PowerBlocks feel bulky also tend to be in stuff like CVX where you're doing cardio mixed in as well and wouldn't be using a heavy weight in the first place.

I've had my PowerBlocks for about the same length of time as Bertram and don't have the same issues with pins that he mentions. I also find it pretty quick to change the weights; I always set them back down in their base after I finish a particular move and can usually adjust the weight in the time it takes for the people on set to pick up a new set of dumbbells. YMMV of course; if I had the space I'd probably go crazy and get a full set too but I already have a bench/squat rack taking up space in my studio too. :)

rkn

Tried Eccentric Upper today. Now I understand what I'm up against, basically like the Tempo workouts in Body Beast, the ones that always drained all my energy. This will be a fun battle. :)
Decided to do the mass schedule, I hate eccentric upper, I really like upper body stuff, minus pull ups but man... I despise them now, definitely exposed my weak areas. Surprisingly I like eccentric lower.

Also I'm a yoga skipper, but I must say I love the X3 yoga, I feel that it hits everything and doesn't linger, which was the problem with X and X2 yoga.

Tash

I so LOVE the second phase of P90x3. Love, love eccentric lower and upper (but yeah, it's freaking tough, however, that's a good thing!). Just really happy there are not more pilates in the classic schedule :p
On top, I just ordered this pull-up thingies. I can't get the BB one here without toll and shipping but I found that alternative in one of the online stores here in Norway. Hope it's as effective. I really want to see how far I can push it. I really would love to beat the 3 bodyweight ones I managed after P90X.

First time MMX later today. Really excited to try that.
Tony's book is kinda..hmm. Granted I only ready through the first two laws but not sure what I think of it so far.

At least the "Do your best and forget the rest approach" for everything else and not only working out is a great tip. It was also very interesting to read how he came to be where he is now. Talk about being at the right place the right time :p

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Also, is joining Team Beachbody not free? I was thinking that for more advice other than this thread, I could join the Beachbody forums Tony is always suggesting. I see it's evolved quite a bit more :p . When I went to register, it wants my billing info. How exactly does this work? I'm seeing now that it's 2.99 per week. Is there a free alternative? Remember, I'm poor as hell here :p

That's for the Club membership, which is optional. With Club membership you get access to an online meal planner, special videos, and a 10% discount on Beachbody fitness programs, supplements and equipment.

You can also just sign up for a free account.

Ixian

I so LOVE the second phase of P90x3. Love, love eccentric lower and upper (but yeah, it's freaking tough, however, that's a good thing!). Just really happy there are not more pilates in the classic schedule :p
On top, I just ordered this pull-up thingies. I can't get the BB one here without toll and shipping but I found that alternative in one of the online stores here in Norway. Hope it's as effective. I really want to see how far I can push it. I really would love to beat the 3 bodyweight ones I managed after P90X.

First time MMX later today. Really excited to try that.
Phase 2 is really fun! I think my plan after completing the full P90X3 program is to just loop through months 2 and 3, probably replacing Agility X with Pure Cardio from Insanity.

That Pullup Revolution thing looks pretty much exactly the same as the Beachbody one, which I use and love, except quite a bit more pricy. But I'm sure it will do the trick. :)

MMX is a nice improvement over Kenpo X; I actually work up a nice sweat without having to use weighted gloves. The main problem with it is that some of the move lists are pretty long and make me feel like I'm trying to do a 10 hit combo in Tekken.

Tash

Phase 2 is really fun! I think my plan after completing the full P90X3 program is to just loop through months 2 and 3, probably replacing Agility X with Pure Cardio from Insanity.

That Pullup Revolution thing looks pretty much exactly the same as the Beachbody one, which I use and love, except quite a bit more pricy. But I'm sure it will do the trick. :)

MMX is a nice improvement over Kenpo X; I actually work up a nice sweat without having to use weighted gloves. The main problem with it is that some of the move lists are pretty long and make me feel like I'm trying to do a 10 hit combo in Tekken.

Yeah, Phase 2 is really awesome. Finished my first week now and am really looking forward to the other two :) I plan to do the elite blocks afterwards, though. I have so many programs, not sure which to do after :p Seriously considering P90X2..

Yeah I noticed that the Revolution is pretty much the same as the BB one. Seeing it has been on the market since 2010 (I think) I am surprised it wasn't patented since the BB ones seems a total copy of it. I just hope our door is high enough for me to be able to extend my leg. I will still try to do as many as I can without the help first and then switch to the bands. I am really REALLY committed to increase my pull-ups. I think it's pretty awesome to be able to do them as a woman.

LOL at the Tekken comment. After doing it for the first time last night, totally spot on. Every time I saw the written break down at the bottom before the move I was like "uuh nu uh". However, it went actually quite decent. Really loved MMX too. Just something that gets me totally hyped up and "into the zone" when I can punch and kick (despite looking like an idiot, I am sure). Had to take a few breaks here and there (especially with the side moving sprawls since I didn't want my butt to come up during those and tried to stay low). Form over everything else for me :)

I do miss the amount of stretching from P90X, though. I can feel that my flexibility hasn't improved as fast as it did with P90X.

Just started P90X3 and I just completely fumbled on the Boat Plow part.
Any tips? Felt like an old man doing it.

Just keep trying and it will improve. You can't really do much or any alteration for that :)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Beachbody resells the Chin-up Revolution as the Chin-up Max. I'm pretty sure the B-line resistance bands are made by Lifeline USA as well.

Tash

Beachbody resells the Chin-up Revolution as the Chin-up Max. I'm pretty sure the B-line resistance bands are made by Lifeline USA as well.

OIC, that makes sense I guess :)
The original creator must be involved in the sales then.
Could be that the Revolution is not really officially available any more in the States? I couldn't find an official reseller for the Chin-up Max. I tried to find it which was the reason I actually found the alternative.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Work delayed because snow was spotted 500 miles away. Finishing Incinerator in the morning. Feels...efficient.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Any feedback on the 21 day fix program? And what's the deal with the 3 seperate packs?

Well the Challenge Pack includes Shakeology, and is a great deal because you're basically getting the 21 Day Fix package itself for around $10.

Otherwise you can get the Base Package or the Deluxe Package. The Deluxe Package adds a couple more workouts, an insulated tote bag, a resistance band and a large food container that you can use to take meals with you. You can also upgrade from the base package or the challenge pack to the deluxe package separately.

Currently, all versions are on back-order, though. It's apparently very popular! They're hoping to resume shipments next week.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
How much do you usually pay for lunch?

And you can usually find Shakeology on ebay for $100 w/ free shipping. If you're doing it as a one time kind of thing to test it out, that might be your best option. That way it also comes out to $3.33 per shake.

That's the thing, I generally do low carb wraps and carrots or something for lunch which costs about $2 a day because it lasts a week and a half before I have to buy more.

I was going to try to just build my own shake with stuff like spinach, kale, fruit, avocado, etc.

xnipx

Well the Challenge Pack includes Shakeology, and is a great deal because you're basically getting the 21 Day Fix package itself for around $10.

Otherwise you can get the Base Package or the Deluxe Package. The Deluxe Package adds a couple more workouts, an insulated tote bag, a resistance band and a large food container that you can use to take meals with you. You can also upgrade from the base package or the challenge pack to the deluxe package separately.

Currently, all versions are on back-order, though. It's apparently very popular! They're hoping to resume shipments next week.

So does the deluxe pack for $59 include everything in th essential pack as well or just the bands and the extra stuff?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So does the deluxe pack for $59 include everything in th essential pack as well or just the bands and the extra stuff?

OK so the base package is $59.85.

There are two upgrades:
The Ultimate Upgrade package is $59.85 and includes 2 more workouts, a resistance band, an insulated tote bag, and a plastic meal container.
The Ultimate DVD package is $29.85 and JUST includes the 2 additional workouts.

The Challenge Pack is $140 and includes the base package plus Shakeology. You can optionally add either of the Upgrade packages to that.

teh_pwn

I was considering a cut phase a couple of days ago, but it seems that my bio measurements were distorted by multiple factors. I'm down 6 pounds from a couple of days ago, and I ate out yesterday. I think the combination of:
1. Bulking diet
2. Inflammation of sore muscles
3. Glycogen storage
4. NSAIDs (in my case, I had a tweaky neck/shoulder)

Can really distort body weight.

I measure my waist circumference and body weight daily, and despite being up 5 pounds from when I started nearly 2 months ago, my waist circumference is down about 0.3". So in other words I seem to be lowering body fat % despite gaining weight.

NOTE: I started out relatively thin. 29.5-30" waist at 5'9". I probably was 16% body fat.

With all of that said, I may need to concede that I need 33" shorts so I can workout and have my post-working bulking meals too without feeling uncomfortable in my clothes.

Pyrokai

Which program are you doing, teh_pwn?

I've been struggling to figure out how much to eat. I'm doing P90X (almost done) and I want to GAIN muscle weight. For 80% of the program I was eating high protein and was probably eating less than I burned during a day. This made me feel crappy, but I didn't realize that was the issue until I started actually trying to figure out why.

Basically....as I wrap up my first ever P90X round, I am thinking about what to do next. I hate the idea of bulking/cutting because I generally don't have the time or willpower to eat enough per day, but I'm thinking that I will do another round of P90X but I will eat more than recommended because I'm primarily concerned with gaining muscle mass. THEN after I finish that, I think I might I might do Insanity to get rid of any unwanted fat.

I don't know. I'm starting to get frustrated at how I'm constantly clueless on what to do, and if I don't figure something out soon, I'm going to give up all together :(

Before I start round 2 of P90X though, I'm going to come here and post ALL my stats, goals, and my plan of action for approval before I begin. Sooo.....look for that in about 2 weeks :p

teh_pwn

Which program are you doing, teh_pwn?

I've been struggling to figure out how much to eat. I'm doing P90X (almost done) and I want to GAIN muscle weight. For 80% of the program I was eating high protein and was probably eating less than I burned during a day. This made me feel crappy, but I didn't realize that was the issue until I started actually trying to figure out why.

P90X3

I eat until I'm full. Hell, over the last month I had a few nights where I drank 5 units of alcohol. I'm not doing that anymore, but even then I have apparently been improving body composition and modestly increased weight.

If you have trouble digesting protein, get some digestive enzymes. I'm using the sources natural stuff from Amazon that's one of the top rated ones. Mitigates gas/bloating from large meals. I'm nearly 30; apparently this is what happens.

To help keep things moving in your digestive track, get a good balance of soluble/insoluble fiber and probiotics. So incorporate vegetables in your diet and something like fiber one (original, not the candy) + greek yogurt.

mt1200

I did an insanity cardio-abs workout the last friday, it was tough but I liked it. Is it a good idea to replace my long boring steady cardio routines for insanity cardio routines?.

My cardio routine consists of the following:

Sun: 1H of steady pace treadmill/bike/elliptical trainer, plus 10 min of cooldown.
Mon: 45m Spinning group class, 15 min HIIT on the treadmill.
Tues: 45m Bodycombat group class, 20 min steady jog on the treadmill.
Wed: 40 min steady hard work on the elliptical machine, 20 min HIIT on the treadmill.
Thurs: 40-45 min of crosstech group class, which is just like bootcamp, very tough, 20 min steady pace on elliptical/treadmill.
Friday: 40 min steady hard work on the elliptical machine, 20 min HIIT on the treadmill.
Sat: rest day

I want to replace all those boring long steady-state cardios for Insanity workouts, but I don't know if it's worth it, besides all those pliometrics might screw up my knees after a few months.

Pyrokai

P90X3

I eat until I'm full. Hell, over the last month I had a few nights where I drank 5 units of alcohol. I'm not doing that anymore, but even then I have apparently been improving body composition and modestly increased weight.

If you have trouble digesting protein, get some digestive enzymes. I'm using the sources natural stuff from Amazon that's one of the top rated ones. Mitigates gas/bloating from large meals. I'm nearly 30; apparently this is what happens.

To help keep things moving in your digestive track, get a good balance of soluble/insoluble fiber and probiotics. So incorporate vegetables in your diet and something like fiber one (original, not the candy) + greek yogurt.

I eat until I am full, too, but I think that might be too much. Are you saying I am not eating enough because I'm feeling more bloated than I should? (I'm 26, by the way). My main problem is finding the balance of eating enough/eating too much. Ideally, like I said, I'd like to do this without getting involved with the numbers. Also, I definitely get a lot of veggies and quality greek yogurt in my diet.

I'll keep at this and see where I'm at eventually. Maybe as I gain muscle I'll just be able to shred fat, which would be awesome.

And....PROGRESS UPDATE! Guys, today was my final final Chest, Shoulders, & Triceps routine, so I brought it as hard as I possibly could. I went from being able to do ZERO clapping push-ups EVERY SINGLE week until today when I was able to do TEN clapping push-ups!!!!! I seriously nearly cried after I did that. It was easily the happiest I've been since I started this whole program. I still can't quite believe it. Maybe it was the gigantic cup of coffee I had prior to the workout...... (I usually only drink coffee in the mornings, but today for some reason I had a big mug full before I left work, then came home and exercised).

Then I pigged out and ate 2 chicken breasts w/ cheese, sweet potatoes, and dessert was some greek yogurt and a banana.

Also I had a protein shake post-workout. Today was best day. And it only took me until the final week to feel this way -_-

teh_pwn

Final phase 2 Eccentric Upper dominated. Many moves are hella easy, but some are really hard with moderate weight doing proper form.

I got some superior ass Japanese Hi-Chew candy as my anti-bonking medication. Damn these are good. Like Starbursts but with better ingredients (non-corn sugar, palm oil included).

teh_pwn

I eat until I am full, too, but I think that might be too much. Are you saying I am not eating enough because I'm feeling more bloated than I should? (I'm 26, by the way). My main problem is finding the balance of eating enough/eating too much. Ideally, like I said, I'd like to do this without getting involved with the numbers. Also, I definitely get a lot of veggies and quality greek yogurt in my diet.

I'll keep at this and see where I'm at eventually. Maybe as I gain muscle I'll just be able to shred fat, which would be awesome.

I should start over with this...I am not your typical dieter. I have read overviews from Scientists that specialize in studying the cause of the obesity epidemic. There is some consensus behind the Food Reward Hypothesis, which basically says that various qualities of food that reinforce eating can overwhelm the brain's body fat homeostasis mechanism (hunger, metabolism throttling) when combined all together and consumed over long periods of time. The data is overwhelming with rodents, but due to prudent ethics there isn't enough human data to get beyond the hypothesis level. The human data that there is confirms what is seem in mice, but I suspect humans are a bit more nuanced because we can get reward center stimulation from a variety of factors.

So I lost body fat and achieved a slightly excessive body fat composition (which in the USA is fucking thin) by moderating food reward 80-90% of the time. The rest of the time I'm out eating or on dates. Because highly rewarding food is so pervasive, I try to be realistic and not achieve physical perfection. I'm an engineer, not an Olympic athlete.

So going into P90X3, elevated hunger is likely genuine hunger in my case. Whereas several years ago when I did P90X as I was approaching type 1 obesity, my excess hunger was likely food reward addiction which is why I think I gained both muscle and fat.

Be rational. Measure your waist and weight daily.

You could follow the P90X3 diet. It basically is a low reward diet. Over time you'll eat when you're hungry legitimately. It's a low reward diet but they don't know it is. It's a diet that strives for naturalism/traditional/health nut consensus. For example, I don't think you need to worry about the type of rice versus quinoa you eat.

Top Bottom