• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Tash

Are regular resistance bands a decent substitute for a chin-up assist?

I used to use them, having me knee supported by them but I never really trusted them and felt uncomfortable. I never felt like I could "stand" in them and also felt like I am going to ruin them.

I really, REALLY recommend the chin-up max or any version of it. It's seriously brilliant. I was kind of hesitant because it does look like a silly gimmick but I can really vouch for how great it works.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Half way through recovery week. I added 45 minutes of cardio to it a few days ago because I overate quite a bit the preceeding week. May do a week cut phase between block 2/3 if I don't see my waist get back to 29.5" (during cut phase, which is 30" during normal diet).

Ixian

I sort of wish Pilates X had some visual breathing indicators on screen; I sometimes get lost and it can be hard to get back into the rhythm with the complexity of the breathing. :(

I forget, does Plyometrics (P90X) have any stomach exercises in it? My abs are shot to shit from yesterday's training and I'll probably have to give it a miss if it does.

RPG

Planning on doing MMX tonight as I'm finishing up W5 of P90X3 and I have to say I like this program better than T25. T25 was good, but clearly cardio focused and really not until Gamma did I get to the point of feeling some progress (albeit this could just be the 'plateau' for the 'new' me.)

Since I moved to my own house, I've been able to capitalize on the floor space and finally utilize my pull-up bar, so I've definitely been feeling the strength build again (though again, coming on the heels of T25 & Insanity, it could just be knocking the rust off since X2). Overall, I really like the routine and may do an immediate second run or dabble with mixing some of the workouts from X1 & X2. Dunno yet.

Tash

I forget, does Plyometrics (P90X) have any stomach exercises in it? My abs are shot to shit from yesterday's training and I'll probably have to give it a miss if it does.

Not focused on it but to be honest, your core should be engaged in any exercise if you do it right and Plyo is no exception. And the march one will definitely hammer your abs again.

I would still do it, though. Just take a break if needed.

Man, I really have not missed that particular workout. Blech.

Still, I survived at least which was something. Didn't notice any significant pulling on my stomach muscles which was a plus.

Mobius 1

I have a boxed copy of P90X, a digital one, and now access via Xbox Fitness.

Ask me if I started any of it?

I realized that I'm afraid of starting it because it will just display my lack of fitness. I watched the initial 13 minute introduction and that was... interesting enough. Although the last minutes were really an infomercial for their line of supplements and shakes. Which I don't plan on buying. Or do I need to?

teh_pwn

Weight/Waist is approaching normalcy, so I'm continuing onto block 3 next week. I'm so paranoid about weight fluctuations during bulking.

After all that cardio and recovery week stuff, I'm sore all over. Yoga tomorrow, nothing Sunday. Good food and rest.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

I realized that I'm afraid of starting it because it will just display my lack of fitness. I watched the initial 13 minute introduction and that was... interesting enough. Although the last minutes were really an infomercial for their line of supplements and shakes. Which I don't plan on buying. Or do I need to?

Just think about it this way -- simply by pushing play on the video, no matter how you do, you're doing better than everyone who is sitting on the couch.

It's going to be hard. You won't be able to do all the moves, keep up with the video, and you'll get sweaty and sore. But it's SUPPOSED to be hard! Challenging yourself is the only way to grow. So as Tony says, "do your best, and forget the rest" -- but, most importantly, stick with it. If you're consistent and you don't give up, you will improve and results will come!

As far as supplements go, they can help. What you eat is as important in weight loss and fitness as how you move your body. Shakeology is great because it's highly nutritious and takes all the guesswork out of one of your daily meals. But following a meal plan like the ones that come with these workouts is very important. Eating the right amounts of the right types of foods is instrumental to success. And while you can do it without Shakeology and other supplements, they make it a little easier.

Weight/Waist is approaching normalcy, so I'm continuing onto block 3 next week. I'm so paranoid about weight fluctuations during bulking.

After all that cardio and recovery week stuff, I'm sore all over. Yoga tomorrow, nothing Sunday. Good food and rest.

Remember, it's a "transition week" in X3, not a "recovery week" like in X and X2 :) You'll like Phase 3, I think.

Decelerator is a great workout but man those crane cracker push-ups are insane.

Complex Upper for us shortly!

God Enel

I'm approaching the last week oh Phase 1 (doubles). It wasn't really easy but okay, as on the day you have doubles, the 2nd exercise was always dynamixs which isn't really exhausting. Phase 2 starts with Eccentric upper and accelerator on monday, tuesday with trio, wednesday is x3 yoga, on thursday is eccentric lower with CVX (that will be quite hard i think), friday incinerator and isometrix, saturday mmx and dynamix and on sunday just dynamix or free.

Honestly I do not know how hard it will be and I don't know if i'll do the doubles day back to back or one exercise in the morning and the other one in the afternoon.

What would you guys recommend?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Sounds tough! My advice would be to just try it & see how it goes. Phase 2 in Classic is really good; adding those extra workouts might be too much especially as it's your first round.

God Enel

Sounds tough! My advice would be to just try it & see how it goes. Phase 2 in Classic is really good; adding those extra workouts might be too much especially as it's your first round.

yeah. I'll see how it goes and then maybe cut back to the classic routine, as I don't know how hard Eccentric Upper/Lower and some of the other workouts are in combination with the others.

The real problem is, if i go back to classic i will kinda feel disappointed that i've not met my goal(s). So i have to stick somehow to Doubles.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Just finished the last MMX for phase 2. By now, I feel I got most of the moves down and it has turned into the most enjoyable workout in P90X3, so much more intense than Kenpo, which I love!

teh_pwn

Remember, it's a "transition week" in X3, not a "recovery week" like in X and X2 :) You'll like Phase 3, I think.

Decelerator is a great workout but man those crane cracker push-ups are insane.

Complex Upper for us shortly!

Ah, yeah I mix up the language.

Complex upper was delivered, I just need to pick it up.

And with X3 Yoga done, I have completed block 2, and start block 3 on Monday.

teh_pwn

Comes with an Elite Block schedule. Guess this is now P120X.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Comes with an Elite Block schedule. Guess this is now P120X.

Complex Upper is a lot like X2's PAP Upper workout. 4 rounds of 5 moves, 12 reps each: slow-motion chin-ups, Plyo X push-ups (turn in mid air left then right so you're forming an X), Plyo lunge presses (shoulder press with weights coupled with Plyo lunge switches), W pull-ups, and bird dog push-ups (push up, extend left arm & right leg, crunch left arm & right leg, extend again, arm & leg down, push up, repeat on other side). Tony does some variety with timing, speed, distance or weight on the moves as well, and there's a burnout at the end where you do an abbreviated set with no breaks.

One TOUGH workout, and I really needed that chin-up max assist.

I think I'll alternate this and The Challenge over this phase, rather than substituting it every time. The Elite block after Day 90 is going to be hard enough :)

Pyrokai

Well, it's been one week since I've finished. I told myself I'd take a week off and relax, and that's just what I did........and I feel like a complete piece of poop now. I can't believe how three months of working out made me start to feel reliant on exercise to feel good/normal!

On the plus side, I got a lot of crap done that I've been meaning to do for a while now. Stuff like taxes, shppping, and the like. It helps when your day doesn't revolve around "when can I exercise?! Omg what can I do to fit this in?!"

Anyway, today, I'm starting P90X for the second time and I'm going to improve in a couple of arenas. This time, I'm going to track my calories to make sure I'm eating enough as well as measure my weight and waist every day, which is something I didn't do at all last round. Also, today I'm installing an actual pull-up bar (pray it works for me.....this has been a 3 month struggle to figure out a way to do pull-ups). I also bought 25lb. dumbbells so that now I can finally increase my curls to 25lb. instead of doing 20 (which is too easy) or 30 (which is too hard).

Improvements!

Later today, like I previously said I would do, I'm going to post ALL my stats, methods, and goals, and I would ___love it___ if you guys could weigh in with your opinions and tell me what I should do differently.

:)

Pyrokai

Okay, guys--Here are my figures, all taken today:

Thank you for helping in advance, by the way. You guys have no idea how much asking questions here helps me.

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 164

Body Fat % : 7.5% (I'm not sure this is right....I am alone and could only measure 3 locations using a fat caliper....7.5 seems really low, but then again I am fairly skinny)

BMR: 1640

Daily Burn: 328 (I used 20%, like P90X suggests, but I have a desk job, so should I go lower?)

1640 (BMR) + 328 (Daily Burn) + 600 (P90X burn) = 2568

Total: 2,658 calories burned on days I do a P90X routine

_____

Now, with this in mind, I figure that if I want to GAIN muscle and LOSE fat, I should keep my protein/carbs/fat ratio at 50/25/25 (my own modification...also worth noting that I rarely can eat that much protein in a day)

Now here's my GOAL and my QUESTION:

GOAL: Increase my weight from 164 to 175 with lean tissue/muscle growth

QUESTION: If I actually want to gain more muscle than the amount of fat I lose (therefore, I want to GAIN weight....), exactly how should I modify all the calculations I have above? Should I simply add calories and keep the ratios the same? Should I only increase protein? Should I use a different ratio entirely?

I realize my goal is a bit untraditional in that I want to gain weight LEANLY while doing P90X (maybe not, but I assume most P90Xers want to lose weight), so that' why I'm asking for advice.

So what do you guys think?

Barzul

Thank you for helping in advance, by the way. You guys have no idea how much asking questions here helps me.

Body Fat % : 7.5% (I'm not sure this is right....I am alone and could only measure 3 locations using a fat caliper....7.5 seems really low, but then again I am fairly skinny)

Daily Burn: 328 (I used 20%, like P90X suggests, but I have a desk job, so should I go lower?)

_____

Now, with this in mind, I figure that if I want to GAIN muscle and LOSE fat, I should keep my protein/carbs/fat ratio at 50/25/25 (my own modification...also worth noting that I rarely can eat that much protein in a day)

QUESTION: If I actually want to gain more muscle than the amount of fat I lose (therefore, I want to GAIN weight....), exactly how should I modify all the calculations I have above? Should I simply add calories and keep the ratios the same? Should I only increase protein? Should I use a different ratio entirely?

I realize my goal is a bit untraditional in that I want to gain weight LEANLY while doing P90X (maybe not, but I assume most P90Xers want to lose weight), so that' why I'm asking for advice.

I would just up calories and use bigger weights in the workouts. If you drank your protein shake with one scoop, use 2 scoops etc.

teh_pwn

OMG, crane pushups. I don't think I even did the modification correctly.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Will this work with my doorway if there's a door attached? Like this:

Ft5ZdfW.jpg

Won't the door get in the way of the bar?

teh_pwn

I was just laughing the whole time. Part of me thinks Tony put them in as half a joke -- but they're a good goal to reach for :)

It's one of those moves that I don't take seriously because it's an actual elite fitness sort of move that would take a long time to master.

I'm okay with being a software engineer that's 99% more fit than the rest. That's my rationalization anyway.

Agility X, day 2 of block 3 down. May it rest in pesto and fettuccine
Not really, just AC2 reference.

Ixian

Oh hey, our schedules are aligned teh_pwn. :) And yeah, I'm pretty happy with being more fit than most software engineers too.

FOOTE

Glad to see you monsters still in here ripping it up.

All you need to succeed are the videos, your willingness to give it your all every workout(and not miss days) and eat healthy. Not all supplements are a scam or are shit, but there are plenty out there that certainly are. Stay away from them until you have some accumulated some knowledge about them.

Anyway, stop putting it off. Who is really going to know how athletic you are but yourself? Hiding from a problem doesn't make it go away. I guarantee that if you give it your all, you will improve in every aspect of your current fitness.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Done with the first week of Block 3. I substituted in the Elite workouts -- Complex Upper and Complex Lower -- for The Challenge and Total Synergistics as the calendar suggests. Definitely sore this week! Week 2 is more like Block 2, and there are no substitutions. Pilates X instead of X3 Yoga. Today's Dynamix felt good.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
P90X3 block 2 is awesome so far. All of the workouts I actually feel like I worked out each muscle area when done. The eccentric upper (or whatever it's called) was fantastic even with me using a stool for pull-ups. Holding those pull-ups and push-ups for a 3 count as you're going down really burns. Workout 2 yesterday was solid too, although my balance kind of sucks still for some of the moves.

Yoga today. I think this is the first time in P90X history where I've actually looked forwards to yoga because my muscles ache and it relaxes me.

I'm still weighing in around 220-221 which is up 9 pounds from when I started X3, I really think the push-ups and pull-ups activated my muscle growth again right away. It is weird though that the weight gain seemed to happen in a week. I was 212 one week then 222 the next.

Pyrokai

Guys, any way to motivate me to do 90 minutes of yoga? I keep skipping yoga days and I don't think that's good....but it's just so loooooong and boooorrrriinngggg

Edit: Still haven't done it. Now it's too late in the day for me.......ugh I have to stop doing this! I need a way to force myself to commit to yoga.......poopy butt.

I SWEAR this will be the only time I skip yoga this go-around of P90X. SWEAAARRRR. Also, to make up for not doing this, I'm going to do Cardio X (which has about 20 minutes of yoga) in it tomorrow with Legs & Back....

Also, any other input on my stats? I know it's a wall of text but anything helps......

teh_pwn

Oh hey, our schedules are aligned teh_pwn. :) And yeah, I'm pretty happy with being more fit than most software engineers too.

Just did Complex Upper. It reminded me of the Challenge, but a bit more serious and harder. A lot less cheese from Tony (Challenge and Warrior are made of 100% cheese).

I don't have pull-up assists, but I have a laundry washer/dryer that I can rest my legs on in an L-pullup sort of way. I resorted to that on set 4/4.

Not anything crazy like crane pushups.

teh_pwn

Guys, any way to motivate me to do 90 minutes of yoga? I keep skipping yoga days and I don't think that's good....but it's just so loooooong and boooorrrriinngggg

Edit: Still haven't done it. Now it's too late in the day for me.......ugh I have to stop doing this! I need a way to force myself to commit to yoga.......poopy butt.

I SWEAR this will be the only time I skip yoga this go-around of P90X. SWEAAARRRR. Also, to make up for not doing this, I'm going to do Cardio X (which has about 20 minutes of yoga) in it tomorrow with Legs & Back....

Also, any other input on my stats? I know it's a wall of text but anything helps......

P90X3 helps with this across the board. Everything is 30 minutes. Since you just did P90X, you should be able to do the workouts without pausing more than 10 minutes total per workout, and quickly get to no pausing. That's why I'll be doing P90X3 for a long time - maintenance without a massive time commitment.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Just did Complex Upper. It reminded me of the Challenge, but a bit more serious and harder. A lot less cheese from Tony (Challenge and Warrior are made of 100% cheese).

I don't have pull-up assists, but I have a laundry washer/dryer that I can rest my legs on in an L-pullup sort of way. I resorted to that on set 4/4.

Not anything crazy like crane pushups.

Today was my second Decelerator. Laughed again at the Crane Cracker Pushups. I made a few attempts, then reverted to oblique push-ups.

I think I need to practice these :-D

Majestad

Banned
Everybody here seems to be doing X3, but since indoor have it yet I've been doing Body Beast along with some X2 workouts. God, I freaking love P90X2.

_____

I'm not trying to be overly critical but I highly doubt you're 5'10", 164 lbs and 7.5% body fat. You'd be in professional athlete shape at that low body percentage.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Feeling a bit stuffed up with a scratchy throat this morning. May take a break from workouts and start week 1 of month 2 of X3 again next week. Last time I worked out through it and ended up with the flu.

teh_pwn

Complex lower done. Rest day tomorrow. Going to be sore with the lower body with Triometrics and Complex Lower back to back. Which means Block 3 week 1 is done.

Seemed like they goofed the timing with Complex Lower and tried to rush through the second half. Do they not reshoot and edit?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Did Pilates today as I'm still getting over a cold. That's one interesting workout.

I'm thinking I'm going to re-start P90X3 and do the lean schedule. I really am fine with the muscle I have, I just want to lose some weight. Anyone doing lean? How is it?

Pyrokai

I'm not trying to be overly critical but I highly doubt you're 5'10", 164 lbs and 7.5% body fat. You'd be in professional athlete shape at that low body percentage.

No, you're not at all. I thought the number was wrong. I couldn't get a good reading taking measurements by myself. I need someone's help for sure. Guess I need a social life or something first, no? :p

I started P90X over...again...lol. Last week was a bust because of out of town visitors, but I started again yesterday.

t3h_pwn, yeah I definitely want to get P90X3 someday. I want to do P90X1 again, then Insanity, and then P90X3. Already decided this :D

Barzul

Hey guys I finish Insanity in 2 days, and I have Asylum. I plan on resting 1 day and then getting into Asylum do you think that's enough? Or will I need more rest. My Insanity results have been great to say the least. I'm in the best shape of my life but I'm looking forward to the resistance workouts in Asylum which is the only thing Insanity really lacked for me.

Majestad

Banned
Hey guys I finish Insanity in 2 days, and I have Asylum. I plan on resting 1 day and then getting into Asylum do you think that's enough? Or will I need more rest. My Insanity results have been great to say the least. I'm in the best shape of my life but I'm looking forward to the resistance workouts in Asylum which is the only thing Insanity really lacked for me.

1 or 2 days of rest should be enough. Get back into a program ASAP to mantain the good results and keep improving.

Barzul

Like I promised, me pre and post Insanity. Just got the Fit Test left to do tomorrow.

N1bcPAs.jpg

1 or 2 days of rest should be enough. Get back into a program ASAP to mantain the good results and keep improving.
Yeah I think I'll just take a 1 day break. Thanks.

Top Bottom