• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Folks, the Les Mills Pump Challenge Pack is on sale this month: http://bit.ly/1lx0lqj

$180 gets you the main kit, which includes 8 workouts, a barbell, 2x5lb and 2x10lb weight plates with 2 safety clips, and Shakeology on home direct auto shipping in the flavor of your choice, with free shipping.

This is around $145 off the price if you bought these separately. It's a GREAT deal.

Les Mills Pump is a cardio/weightlifting routine. You may have heard of Body Pump classes in gyms; that is what Les Mills Pump was based on. It's all about low weight/high rep exercises. I haven't done it myself but have considered it. Here's the promo video.

Hey guys I finish Insanity in 2 days, and I have Asylum. I plan on resting 1 day and then getting into Asylum do you think that's enough? Or will I need more rest. My Insanity results have been great to say the least. I'm in the best shape of my life but I'm looking forward to the resistance workouts in Asylum which is the only thing Insanity really lacked for me.

Take a week off, nothing wrong with letting the body recover for a bit. Come back the following week ready to go.

Barzul

Folks, the Les Mills Pump Challenge Pack is on sale this month: http://bit.ly/1lx0lqj

$180 gets you the main kit, which includes 8 workouts, a barbell, 2x5lb and 2x10lb weight plates with 2 safety clips, and Shakeology on home direct auto shipping in the flavor of your choice, with free shipping.

This is around $145 off the price if you bought these separately. It's a GREAT deal.

Les Mills Pump is a cardio/weightlifting routine. You may have heard of Body Pump classes in gyms; that is what Les Mills Pump was based on. It's all about low weight/high rep exercises. I haven't done it myself but have considered it. Here's the promo video.

I was debating this or Asylum when I was looking for a new workout, but I decided to go with more Shaun T. He's just such a great motivator.

Ixian

Speaking of Asylum, I have a copy to sell if anyone is interested. I bought it a long while ago thinking I would do it after Insanity but I ended up moving on to P90X.

Majestad

Banned
Like I promised, me pre and post Insanity. Just got the Fit Test left to do tomorrow.

N1bcPAs.jpg

Yeah I think I'll just take a 1 day break. Thanks.

Good job man! Very nice improvement.

Dany

Banned
Which one should I do? I'm looking at everything on bodybuilding and I'm getting confused what works best. I lost 70 lbs 3 years ago and was underweight for a stretch. Now I'm 150 lbs and I maintain that with a steady diet and I run 30 minutes every morning. I tried working out buy I didn't have a routine so I has mild results. I had tendonitous on my right elbow last October and it feels recovered so I want to get back in it eith an actual routine.

I like the look of insanity since its cardio but I guess my main goal is to gain muscle with somewhat maintaining my weight.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Which one should I do? I'm looking at everything on bodybuilding and I'm getting confused what works best. I lost 70 lbs 3 years ago and was underweight for a stretch. Now I'm 150 lbs and I maintain that with a steady diet and I run 30 minutes every morning. I tried working out buy I didn't have a routine so I has mild results. I had tendonitous on my right elbow last October and it feels recovered so I want to get back in it eith an actual routine.

I like the look of insanity since its cardio but I guess my main goal is to gain muscle with somewhat maintaining my weight.

Body Beast? Or P90X/X3, mass schedule.

Pyrokai

I'm trying to do the same thing, sort of. I'm trying to actually gain lean mass while doing P90X. Just make sure you're eating enough. That's been easier said than done in my case. So yeah, my recommendation is one of the P90X programs.

Question, everyone:

Is it normal for me to never progress in some exercises? A lot of exercises I have made a lot of headway in, but some I'm doing the exact same reps and weight that I was doing when I started over 3 months ago because I can't do anything heavier or more. It's like I'm not progressing or something. Some example exercises are Tricep Kickbacks, Crouching Cohen Curls, Two-Angle Shoulder Flys....and some others.

I honestly think it's because I've never done had the form right from the start. I even do them in front of a mirror and I'm unsure if they're right or not. But I will forever be doing 8 reps of 20lb weights with Crouching Cohen Curls while I'm increasing in both weights and reps with other types of curls. It's like purgatory or something. I mean, I SWEAR I'm doing them right...not sure what's going on here.

Barzul

I'd go with one of the P90x programs.

How are people liking P90X3 here? In a few months, I might be ready for a new program. I have 4 and a half weeks left in the Asylum 1 & 2 hybrids, and then I'm going to do the 21 day program. I think I'll want to do something that is less high impact than Insanity/Asylum, so I'll either do P90X1/2/Body Beast. P90X3 intrigues me though, which is why I'm asking about it.

Dany

Banned
i heard that hte p90x diet plan is mainly for weight loss, which isn't what im looking for. I already have a good diet. Though i guess I would need to increase my calories if i start it

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

How are people liking P90X3 here? In a few months, I might be ready for a new program. I have 4 and a half weeks left in the Asylum 1 & 2 hybrids, and then I'm going to do the 21 day program. I think I'll want to do something that is less high impact than Insanity/Asylum, so I'll either do P90X1/2/Body Beast. P90X3 intrigues me though, which is why I'm asking about it.

P90X3 is fantastic, particularly blocks 2 & 3. http://bit.ly/1cyzmoq Highly, highly recommended. Since you're an Asylum vet you might opt for the Doubles schedule, which has two workouts a few times per week. I'd also recommend getting the Elite workouts, but you can add those on later if you want. From the link above you'll see a link that says "Click here to view other P90X3 package options", click on that to see the Elite DVDs or the packages that come with the Elite workouts.

P90X3 is fantastic, particularly blocks 2 & 3. http://bit.ly/1cyzmoq Highly, highly recommended. Since you're an Asylum vet you might opt for the Doubles schedule, which has two workouts a few times per week. I'd also recommend getting the Elite workouts, but you can add those on later if you want. From the link above you'll see a link that says "Click here to view other P90X3 package options", click on that to see the Elite DVDs or the packages that come with the Elite workouts.

The Elite stuff looks pretty pricey, but I suppose I have time to decide on that. By the way, how is the meal plan compared to the other Beach Body stuff?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The Elite stuff looks pretty pricey, but I suppose I have time to decide on that. By the way, how is the meal plan compared to the other Beach Body stuff?

It's simpler, more like some of the earlier plans, but to be honest I'm not following it. Has low carb options, too!

Barzul

Did my first Asylum workout today. Having to focus on the agility ladder adds an additional difficulty layer I didn't get with Insanity. My jump rope skills also kinda suck for now.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Did my first Asylum workout today. Having to focus on the agility ladder adds an additional difficulty I didn't with Insanity. My jump rope skills also kinda suck for now.

Yeah, after about a week of trying I just did the jump rope moves without the rope!

So I ordered the 21 Day Fix Challenge Pack and I I kinda of got it today. The Beachbody Bag I got came with Shakeology, a water bottle, and the tupperware with the program. The program itself isn't in there, so I guess they ran out and that'll come later. haha.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I took 1 day off for SXSW. Doing Pilates for week 2 of Block 3 later today.

God Enel

today im proud of myself. was really tired, slept about 4 hours and when i woke up i said to myself 'you won't do eccentric upper and accelerator today'.. but i did'em. wasn't as good as the week before but it was okay for the little sleep i had.

so yeah dig deeper.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Completed week 2 of Block 3. Probably going on a 2 week hiatus in the form of a cut phase because crunch time at work. Blindly doing elliptical in front of Netflix while eating less is easier to manage in terms of time.

See you all in a bit.

I don't look at it too negatively because it's all about long term. 90 days is just the start.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
If you've been thinking about trying Shakeology, Beachbody finally included the new Strawberry flavor in the Taste Sampler package: http://bit.ly/1eqRt2m

$19.95+s&h gets you one serving each of Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry and Greenberry non-Vegan flavors. You also get a recipe card with ideas of ingredients to add.

My favorite is still Chocolate, but Vanilla and Strawberry are both very good. I haven't tried Greenberry except once, and that was before they reformulated it (and it was made with a VERY green banana which was all I tasted).

------

Tomorrow's the last day of the 3rd week of P90X3 Block 3. One more full week to go, then the "Victory Week"! Then it's on to the Elite Block.

Pyrokai

Today was a bad day. Discouraged throughout the whole thing. Flipping off the TV screen and all. Can't improve my numbers and I'm still unable to increase weights/reps for a significant amount of moves. I posted about it above, but basically, I'm in my second round go-through of X1 and there are a lot of moves where my weights and rep count is exactly the same since day 1.

Also, I can add to this because I think it's the same issue....but....about how long is too long to be unable to increase my pull-up count? I'm in week 3 and I'm still only able to do 2 pull-ups in my SECOND round (ugh) of P90X. How bad is that? Will I ever be able to do 5 or 6? Or am I fundamentally doing something wrong? My door frame is far too small to do the chair thing, so I'm just trying to hang and lift with my feet upwards to my butt.

Barzul

If you've been thinking about trying Shakeology, Beachbody finally included the new Strawberry flavor in the Taste Sampler package: http://bit.ly/1eqRt2m

$19.95+s&h gets you one serving each of Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry and Greenberry non-Vegan flavors. You also get a recipe card with ideas of ingredients to add.

My favorite is still Chocolate, but Vanilla and Strawberry are both very good. I haven't tried Greenberry except once, and that was before they reformulated it (and it was made with a VERY green banana which was all I tasted).

------

Tomorrow's the last day of the 3rd week of P90X3 Block 3. One more full week to go, then the "Victory Week"! Then it's on to the Elite Block.

I have a one month supply of chocolate shakeology. I'm thinking of creating a new recovery mix using shakeology and whey protein.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Today was a bad day. Discouraged throughout the whole thing. Flipping off the TV screen and all. Can't improve my numbers and I'm still unable to increase weights/reps for a significant amount of moves. I posted about it above, but basically, I'm in my second round go-through of X1 and there are a lot of moves where my weights and rep count is exactly the same since day 1.

Also, I can add to this because I think it's the same issue....but....about how long is too long to be unable to increase my pull-up count? I'm in week 3 and I'm still only able to do 2 pull-ups in my SECOND round (ugh) of P90X. How bad is that? Will I ever be able to do 5 or 6? Or am I fundamentally doing something wrong? My door frame is far too small to do the chair thing, so I'm just trying to hang and lift with my feet upwards to my butt.

I would recommend either getting a Chin-Up Max assist device (also known as the Pull-up Revolution), or getting a few sets of heavy weight resistance bands and a door strap for them. Pull-ups are a back exercise, first and foremost, primarily making use of your lats. Your arms get recruited too, especially with chin-ups which is why they are a bit easier.

The Chin-up Max will take some of the weight off so that you have less to pull up. Bands are good because you can work on improving the muscles without having to lift your entire body weight.

Here's how I was able to improve my numbers. I'd break each set of pull-ups into 3 groups: 1. Normal, good-form full range of motion; 2. Negatives (jump up, hold at the top, lower slowly; and 3. Assisted using the Chin-up Max.

I'd do as many reps as I could of each type within the time I had. Eventually I eliminated the negatives, and finally the assisted ones, but even now I still throw in some assisted pull-ups on most sets.

Basically you need to work on strengthening the muscles, working up to your body weight. Bent over rows are good lat exercises too.

I have a one month supply of chocolate shakeology. I'm thinking of creating a new recovery mix using shakeology and whey protein.

When I was doing Body Beast, I'd often add in a scoop of whey protein to my Shakeology. I used Beachbody's Base Shake because it's somewhat neutrally flavored. But it made the shakes that much thicker. Good stuff. I've also thrown in a raw egg or two in my Shakeology.

Pyrokai

I would recommend either getting a Chin-Up Max assist device (also known as the Pull-up Revolution), or getting a few sets of heavy weight resistance bands and a door strap for them. Pull-ups are a back exercise, first and foremost, primarily making use of your lats. Your arms get recruited too, especially with chin-ups which is why they are a bit easier.

The Chin-up Max will take some of the weight off so that you have less to pull up. Bands are good because you can work on improving the muscles without having to lift your entire body weight.

Here's how I was able to improve my numbers. I'd break each set of pull-ups into 3 groups: 1. Normal, good-form full range of motion; 2. Negatives (jump up, hold at the top, lower slowly; and 3. Assisted using the Chin-up Max.

I'd do as many reps as I could of each type within the time I had. Eventually I eliminated the negatives, and finally the assisted ones, but even now I still throw in some assisted pull-ups on most sets.

Basically you need to work on strengthening the muscles, working up to your body weight. Bent over rows are good lat exercises too.

Hey, thanks for the input. Really appreciate it. I actually just FINALLY installed this pull up bar (after searching for months for a bar that would fit my peculiar door frame), so I definitely want to use that rather than the bands. I used the bands for my entire first round of P90X and, as you can see, they basically did nothing for me. I had three different sets, too. I just can't get the form right (I even posted a video here!).

Anyway, I'm going to try your number two method right now and try the reverse pull-up where I lower myself slowly. Also, I'm a little worried I am not going up as far as I should because, well, my head hits the ceiling (I know....this door frame is effed and it's the only one in my apartment).

Also, I just became a member of Team Beachbody. Website is pretty confusing, but overall seems really cool. I made you my coach, Steve :)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Hey, thanks for the input. Really appreciate it. I actually just FINALLY installed this pull up bar (after searching for months for a bar that would fit my peculiar door frame), so I definitely want to use that rather than the bands. I used the bands for my entire first round of P90X and, as you can see, they basically did nothing for me. I had three different sets, too. I just can't get the form right (I even posted a video here!).

Anyway, I'm going to try your number two method right now and try the reverse pull-up where I lower myself slowly. Also, I'm a little worried I am not going up as far as I should because, well, my head hits the ceiling (I know....this door frame is effed and it's the only one in my apartment).

Also, I just became a member of Team Beachbody. Website is pretty confusing, but overall seems really cool. I made you my coach, Steve :)

Awesome, thanks :)

Yeah, hitting your head on the ceiling isn't fun! I've seen a picture of someone's setup where they cut a hole in the ceiling drywall above their chin-up bar for head clearance :)

Barzul

A week into Asylum, my consensus is that Asylum is just as difficult as Insanity maybe just slightly harder but I think that is due to the more complex movements. The main difference is that it's just way more fun and doesn't feel nearly as repetitive. With Insanity, I started getting sick of doing the same motions in each of the circuits. While there is an element of circuit training in Asylum the modifications to each circuit after completion really makes it more enjoyable. I can see myself doing multiple rounds of Asylum. I wouldn't suggest anyone who is out of shape doing Asylum first though, even after completing Insanity, I still struggled a bit with the first few Asylum workouts. Insanity just eases you in better, if you thought the breaks in Insanity were short, think again. Looking forward to Gameday, that's supposed to be the hardest workout and I haven't done it yet. My jumprope skills also really improved since the first day, which feels good.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Almost done with my first week of p90x3, really enjoying it seems completely doable for the duration at my current fitness level.

One question though, what days am I supposed to do ab ripper on?

Pyrokai

Form check!

I finally think I've figured out what to do for my pull-up problem until I can start doing real ones. But I recorded myself doing close-grip overhand pull-ups because I'm not sure if I'm 100% doing this right. These are definitely more intense for me overall than doing 2-4 "real" pull-ups (since my form as so bad), so I'm hoping that once I get better at these I can start doing real ones.

These are called reverse pull-ups, I guess. How does my form look? The problem I'm wondering about is that I think arms are doing a lot more work and my back isn't. I honestly can't tell. I can't even remember a time I felt like my back was worked or sore, lol.

Anyway, please ignore the grunting and panting. I was smack in the middle of a P90X routine when I decided to record it, haha. Kind of embarrassing but whatevs :p . Also, that's about the only angle I could record it from, so I apologize that it's not the greatest.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Almost done with my first week of p90x3, really enjoying it seems completely doable for the duration at my current fitness level.

One question though, what days am I supposed to do ab ripper on?

Ab Ripper doesn't enter the schedule unless you do the Elite Block. That said, you could do it 2-3 times per week if you wanted during any of the regular 90 day schedules.

Form check!

I finally think I've figured out what to do for my pull-up problem until I can start doing real ones. But I recorded myself doing close-grip overhand pull-ups because I'm not sure if I'm 100% doing this right. These are definitely more intense for me overall than doing 2-4 "real" pull-ups (since my form as so bad), so I'm hoping that once I get better at these I can start doing real ones.

These are called reverse pull-ups, I guess. How does my form look? The problem I'm wondering about is that I think arms are doing a lot more work and my back isn't. I honestly can't tell. I can't even remember a time I felt like my back was worked or sore, lol.

Anyway, please ignore the grunting and panting. I was smack in the middle of a P90X routine when I decided to record it, haha. Kind of embarrassing but whatevs :p . Also, that's about the only angle I could record it from, so I apologize that it's not the greatest.

With that move, you're working your shoulders & deltoid muscles, not your lats, so you're not really getting the right work in for the move. You need to lift with your torso vertical and in line with your arms.

With your setup, you might try sitting on the floor with your legs straight in front of you, and keeping your torso vertical pull yourself up until your chin clears the bar. You could put your feet on a stepstool or low chair too.

Pyrokai

With that move, you're working your shoulders & deltoid muscles, not your lats, so you're not really getting the right work in for the move. You need to lift with your torso vertical and in line with your arms.

With your setup, you might try sitting on the floor with your legs straight in front of you, and keeping your torso vertical pull yourself up until your chin clears the bar. You could put your feet on a stepstool or low chair too.

What if I put a chair down for my feet and became parallel with the floor?

This is what I was trying to mimic. Is he doing something fundamentally different?

This pull-up bar does swing up to the top of my door, so I can still do it the other way. I guess I'll just stick to jumping up and lowering myself slowly, then. Damn. Thought I figured something out.

Barzul

What if I put a chair down for my feet and became parallel with the floor?

This is what I was trying to mimic. Is he doing something fundamentally different?

This pull-up bar does swing up to the top of my door, so I can still do it the other way. I guess I'll just stick to jumping up and lowering myself slowly, then. Damn. Thought I figured something out.

In Insanity: Asylum, Shaun T does this back workout that helps build to a full pullups. Basically you go up the pullup bar, grip it and start bouncing in the spot, pulling up and engaging your lats. It helps your lats get used to the pullup motion and strengthens them. The video you posted seems to use more shoulder and biceps than lats. If you have access to a dip bar or barstools and freeweights (this is what I use for dips). Dips can also help build lat strength as well as give you a good chest workout at the same time.

Bearthgar

Banned
Starting week 3 of p90x3. I did P90x off and on for around a year and got it pretty good shape. Then my MBA program staying sapping all of my time and my fitness level decreased greatly.

Got t-25 and enjoyed some of the cardio /agility stuff, but hated the lack big muscle work.

Got p90x3 and realized just how far my pull ups have dropped off lol. I'm loving getting back into it though

nataku

Alright, I bought P90X back in March of 2010 and never actually ended up using it. I tried it out during a week I took off, but ended up getting a ton of interruptions (family members moving), plus went into it too hard instead of trying to gauge how hard I could push it while still being able to work my warehouse job and ended up deciding not to do it. Probably due to the fact that I could hardly friggin' move, let alone life boxes at my job.

I want to get in shape, plus just eat better, so I'm planning another try again. I still need to be able to work at my warehouse job, which has me on my feet 8 hours a day lifting boxes that can weigh between 1 and 60+ lbs, but probably average around 35-40 lbs depending on the day.

The main issue I'm having with starting it is the nutrition guide. I'm only 5' 9" 140 lbs @ 31 years old, so I'm not really looking to go below that weight, but do want to lose my remaining fat and build some muscle. I've got some love handles and a thin layer of fat on my abs, but other than that my fat isn't too bad. I'd rather put on weight, but have no idea how to go about it. The guide puts me at 2280, level 1, which is just 120 calories shy of nutrition level 2. Is it really ok to drop things all the way down to 1800 calories/day like it says to? That seems like a big drop considering I don't want to actually drop below 140 lbs.

Korosenai

So, I recently got an Xbox One, and this morning I decided to start Xbox Fitness with one of my favorite beach body exercises, Pure Cardio:

That was probably the hardest time I have ever had with Pure Cardio. Doing everything with absolute perfect form kicked my ass so hard. I managed to do well all the way up to Power Knees, then my legs started to fatigue pretty hard and give out on me. I'm actually kind of frustrated at myself that I couldn't manage the 5 stars, but the next time I do it i'm going to Dig Deeper™ and get that 5 star rating.

My only complaint is that I couldn't ever max out the bar for 123 Heisman's even though i'm 99% positive I was doing the correct form, and the Kinect wouldn't ever read my Hooks correctly on the 4 hooks to 4 jumps.

All in all though i'd give the Xbox Fitness experience a 10/10, i'm completely hooked on it now. I'm just sad that all of the Insanity workouts aren't on there.

Barzul

So, I recently got an Xbox One, and this morning I decided to start Xbox Fitness with one of my favorite beach body exercises, Pure Cardio:

That was probably the hardest time I have ever had with Pure Cardio. Doing everything with absolute perfect form kicked my ass so hard. I managed to do well all the way up to Power Knees, then my legs started to fatigue pretty hard and give out on me. I'm actually kind of frustrated at myself that I couldn't manage the 5 stars, but the next time I do it i'm going to Dig Deeper™ and get that 5 star rating.

My only complaint is that I couldn't ever max out the bar for 123 Heisman's even though i'm 99% positive I was doing the correct form, and the Kinect wouldn't ever read my Hooks correctly on the 4 hooks to 4 jumps.

All in all though i'd give the Xbox Fitness experience a 10/10, i'm completely hooked on it now. I'm just sad that all of the Insanity workouts aren't on there.

I wish it had the Max Insanity workouts. Still need to try it out, I just glimpsed at the available workouts.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The main issue I'm having with starting it is the nutrition guide. I'm only 5' 9" 140 lbs @ 31 years old, so I'm not really looking to go below that weight, but do want to lose my remaining fat and build some muscle. I've got some love handles and a thin layer of fat on my abs, but other than that my fat isn't too bad. I'd rather put on weight, but have no idea how to go about it. The guide puts me at 2280, level 1, which is just 120 calories shy of nutrition level 2. Is it really ok to drop things all the way down to 1800 calories/day like it says to? That seems like a big drop considering I don't want to actually drop below 140 lbs.

Seems to me you want MORE calories, not less. In your shoes I'd follow the guide but bump it up to Level 2.

--------------------------

Beachbody has a new program from Chalene Johnson coming later this year: PiYo.

Looks pretty intense -- I recognize a lot of moves from P90X3. She's been teasing the announcement for a while. Follow the link for a video & to sign up for updates. I think I'm going to get this one for my wife & I to do.

Due to a shipping mix up, I just got the 21 Day Fix diet plan/dvds today. I might give one of the videos a shot after a hour or two of doing my Asylum work out

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Beachbody has a new program from Chalene Johnson coming later this year: PiYo.

Looks pretty intense -- I recognize a lot of moves from P90X3. She's been teasing the announcement for a while. Follow the link for a video & to sign up for updates. I think I'm going to get this one for my wife & I to do.

I looked at the video, and the message was kind of confusing. It's called PiYo, but it's for people who don't think Pilates or Yoga is the right fit for them. What!?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I looked at the video, and the message was kind of confusing. It's called PiYo, but it's for people who don't think Pilates or Yoga is the right fit for them. What!?

Maybe they're positioning it as the best of Pilates and the best of Yoga coupled with cardio?

------------

Started my "Victory Week" in P90X3 Classic today. 5 more workouts and it'll be done!

Next up is the Elite Block, and after that I'm going to do P90X3 Doubles.

Gumbie

Currently in week 3 of Body Beast. Just wondering if anyone here has successfully ran the program at maintenance calories or a slight deficit and still make good muscle gains with minimal fat gain.

Infinity

Update:

Steve, I'm on Day 3 of the Third Block of P90X3 Classic. It's going well except for days where I'm dealing with sinus issues and there's a lot of sprawl, hop, drop moves (kills my head and sinuses).

Just saw where you're nearing the end -

PLACE-FIST-HERE-BRO.gif

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Currently in week 3 of Body Beast. Just wondering if anyone here has successfully ran the program at maintenance calories or a slight deficit and still make good muscle gains with minimal fat gain.

I went through once, calories above maintenance mostly through using Beachbody's Fuel Shot, protein Base Shake added to my Shakeology, supplementing with Creatine and Suma. I wouldn't say I got large gains.

That said, a friend of mine did 4 rounds of Body Beast consecutively in 2013 and MAN did he get ripped. He had a beer gut before and it's like all of that moved to his shoulders & chest. Fantastic results. I'll ask him if it's ok for me to post his before & afters here.

Update:

Steve, I'm on Day 3 of the Third Block of P90X3 Classic. It's going well except for days where I'm dealing with sinus issues and there's a lot of sprawl, hop, drop moves (kills my head and sinuses).

Just saw where you're nearing the end -

PLACE-FIST-HERE-BRO.gif

Yeah, when you're stuffed up those rapid drop moves can wreak havoc!

Thanks -- looking forward to the Elite block. Having done both complex upper and lower, it's going to be tough!

Gumbie

I went through once, calories above maintenance mostly through using Beachbody's Fuel Shot, protein Base Shake added to my Shakeology, supplementing with Creatine and Suma. I wouldn't say I got large gains.

That said, a friend of mine did 4 rounds of Body Beast consecutively in 2013 and MAN did he get ripped. He had a beer gut before and it's like all of that moved to his shoulders & chest. Fantastic results. I'll ask him if it's ok for me to post his before & afters here.

That would be awesome. If you don't mind too...ask him if he was following their nutrition guide for calories for all 4 rounds of if he modified it.

Barzul

Yeah, when you're stuffed up those rapid drop moves can wreak havoc!

Thanks -- looking forward to the Elite block. Having done both complex upper and lower, it's going to be tough!

How much equipment do you need for Body Beast? Feels like I'd be spending a ton on weights if I decided to do it. Might just get a gym membership after Asylum.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
How much equipment do you need for Body Beast? Feels like I'd be spending a ton on weights if I decided to do it. Might just get a gym membership after Asylum.

You need dumbbells and a weight bench or heavy duty stability ball at a bare minimum.

A set of dumbbell pairs from 5-60 lbs is ideal. Adjustable dumbbells can work but you'll be pausing the video a lot to change weights.

A weight bench with adjustable back is superior to and safer than a stability ball.

It's recommended but not required to have an EZ curl bar and plates, but you can do those moves with dumbbells if you need to.

I don't think you'd be able to get the best results with bands.

My setup includes a pair of Bowflex adjustable dumbbells (5-52.5lbs), a pair of Iron Master Quick Lock adjustable dumbbells (5-75lbs), an Iron Master Superbench, and two Beachbody EZ curl bars & plate sets.

But -- you can always take a laptop or portable DVD player with you to the gym, or just learn the moves at home and follow the worksheets at the gym.

Barzul

You need dumbbells and a weight bench or heavy duty stability ball at a bare minimum.

A set of dumbbell pairs from 5-60 lbs is ideal. Adjustable dumbbells can work but you'll be pausing the video a lot to change weights.

A weight bench with adjustable back is superior to and safer than a stability ball.

It's recommended but not required to have an EZ curl bar and plates, but you can do those moves with dumbbells if you need to.

I don't think you'd be able to get the best results with bands.

My setup includes a pair of Bowflex adjustable dumbbells (5-52.5lbs), a pair of Iron Master Quick Lock adjustable dumbbells (5-75lbs), an Iron Master Superbench, and two Beachbody EZ curl bars & plate sets.

But -- you can always take a laptop or portable DVD player with you to the gym, or just learn the moves at home and follow the worksheets at the gym.

Wow thanks. On average how long are the workouts? Over or under an hour?

Top Bottom