• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

How's your protein / calorie intake? You've unquestionably put on muscle, but I wonder if you haven't been burning a bunch of it too.

Also, do you have a particularly active job / life that could be affecting things?

b2apCNE.jpg

My before and after Insanity and Insanity: Asylum pic.

Fantastic. Great work.

Pyrokai

How's your protein / calorie intake? You've unquestionably put on muscle, but I wonder if you haven't been burning a bunch of it too.

Also, do you have a particularly active job / life that could be affecting things?

I try to eat about 3000 calories a day and get at least 200 grams of protein. Sometimes I get less than that, sometimes more, but when I do all my calculations, I should only be needing about 2600 calories a day that I do a P90X workout routine.

Oh, and I have a sedentary desk job :\

I'm all sorts of confused. Maybe I'll just eat like a pig :p

Edit: I think I might get a heart rate monitor since I got my tax return. Maybe that will give me a better idea of how many calories I burn in a day? Any suggestions on a good one? I know nothing about them, lol. Are they something I can wear all day long to find out how many calories I burn?

I try to eat about 3000 calories a day and get at least 200 grams of protein. Sometimes I get less than that, sometimes more, but when I do all my calculations, I should only be needing about 2600 calories a day that I do a P90X workout routine.

Oh, and I have a sedentary desk job :\
How tall are you? I'm eating about 2500 a day with only 140g protein (5 foot 10inches) and somehow I'm still putting on weight.

You must have a monstrous metabolism.

As for the HRM, they're not really designed for that. Those activity bands moreso.

Pyrokai

I'm only 5'10", and I don't think my metabolism is very high. I...actually used to be fat. You wouldn't know it from that first picture, but at one time I was about 70 pounds heavier than I was in that picture. and it was pure fat. Zero muscle.

Also, it's probably worth noting that in that first picture, I weighed 150, and in the second picture I am 165. So I've gained weight for sure. I think I just had absolutely no muscle mass on my body. I was essentially starting at the lowest possibly fitness level possible for a human being, lol. And believe it or not, there's a layer of fat on my belly I can very easily grab and is visible with the slightest hint of bending forward. :p .

Would that explain anything? I'm determined to figure out my problem. I hope I'm not being a bother here....just desperate for help.

Maybe I'm not bringing it hard enough? I tend to pause the videos a lot. Most workouts take me 2 hours to complete because I need the breaks between moves. Could that be it?

Sounds like a reasonable amount to put on in that timescale. I probably wouldn't want to gain weight too much faster than that.

Which routines are you taking breaks in? I still can't do Plyo without extended water breaks, and I sometimes need to take a minute in Legs & Back.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Pyrokai, I really wouldn't focus on weight or measurements, unless you have a specific goal in mind?

Instead, focus on improving. Reps, weights, form, range of motion, balance, and reducing breaks. Keep a record of what you do with each workout so you can look back. Post all your trials and tribulations here -- that's what this thread is for! We're here to help you.

Just be patient. Physical results can take a long time to come. And if you have specific goals, let us know and we can offer advice!

Bollocks

Just used Almond milk for my after workout shake and holy shit is it good.
I don't know if it is substantially better than the skim milk I always use, since there's only 1 kind of Almond milk brand available but wanted to try it anywy.
It is however substantially more expensive.
Used it with cookie flavored powder, that was almost too much flavor. Gonna try it with vanilla flavor tomorrow.

Also discovered beef jerky as a snack, that's also not that cheap but it just tastes sooo good.

bionic77

I completed P90X 2 years ago and I loved the results.

Started it up again now that I have some more free time and I am hating how long it takes.

Will I get similar results with X3 or should I just stick with the OG program?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I completed P90X 2 years ago and I loved the results.

Started it up again now that I have some more free time and I am hating how long it takes.

Will I get similar results with X3 or should I just stick with the OG program?

I'm currently in the Elite block of P90X3 and I am loving it. Very intense and I'm really noticing some strength gains. I've done both P90X and P90X2 as well, and X3 is my favorite. The workouts may be short but they are packed & efficient.

A couple of the workouts aren't as good as others, but you can discover that and substitute where you want to. They also added a Mass schedule in addition to the traditional Classic, Doubles and Lean schedules offered for X and X2, which is a nice addition to check out.

The Elite Block of X3 is a separate set of workouts (Complex Upper, Complex Lower, X3 Ab Ripper) that you do after you complete P90X3, and it's 4 weeks. I'm finishing up week 2 tomorrow. Once I finish the Elite Block, I'm going to do the X3 Doubles schedule.

I think it's worth the extra money to get the Elite workouts. They really add a lot after you finish a round. You can buy them all at once if you get the Deluxe Edition, which is $239.70 + shipping, and it also comes with 3 resistance bands and a tub of Beachbody's pre-workout drink, Energy & Endurance. The P90X3 Base Kit is $119.85 + shipping, and you can get the Elite Block DVD separately for $89.85 if you don't want the resistance bands and E&E drink.

All that said, it depends on what your goals are. I think X3 is Beachbody's best program for all-around functional fitness. If you're just looking to bulk up, you might want to give Body Beast a look instead. If you're interested in cardio endurance, it's hard to beat Insanity or even Focus T25. But to me, X3 is the whole package. I'll be sticking with it for a long time.

Pyrokai

Sounds like a reasonable amount to put on in that timescale. I probably wouldn't want to gain weight too much faster than that.

Which routines are you taking breaks in? I still can't do Plyo without extended water breaks, and I sometimes need to take a minute in Legs & Back.

I break actually the least during Plyo. It's the resistance workouts. They kill me. I feel like I need 5 minutes in between moves to prepare myself physically and mentally for the next one. So my workouts take so effing long because of this. Cardio stuff is my strong suit, I guess.

I guess it's good that I'm gaining at a decent speed. I know muscle weighs more than fat, so if I look exactly the same but weigh more, underneath the layer of fat is new muscle rather than more fat, right? :p

Pyrokai, I really wouldn't focus on weight or measurements, unless you have a specific goal in mind?

Instead, focus on improving. Reps, weights, form, range of motion, balance, and reducing breaks. Keep a record of what you do with each workout so you can look back. Post all your trials and tribulations here -- that's what this thread is for! We're here to help you.

Just be patient. Physical results can take a long time to come. And if you have specific goals, let us know and we can offer advice!

I definitely write down everything I do, and I'm usually increasing all the time, except for certain moves. I've posted about it before, but about 30% of the moves I've never once been able to increase weight or reps, which makes me think I'm doing something wrong. But otherwise weights and reps are indeed increasing for the other moves.

And I do have very specific goals in mind, but I'm starting to realize that they're 2-3 years away instead of 6-9 months :(

For what it's worth, sometimes I change my weights on an exercise even if I don't think I'm ready for it. When I first did P90X there were a few exercises that I always felt like I was giving 100% on, but not really increasing weight / reps. This time around if I find myself using the same weight for more than two weeks I swap to a bigger weight and see where I am with that. More often than not I've been able to do just about as many with the heavier weight... probably just because I'm forcing myself to work that little bit harder.

bionic77

I'm currently in the Elite block of P90X3 and I am loving it. Very intense and I'm really noticing some strength gains. I've done both P90X and P90X2 as well, and X3 is my favorite. The workouts may be short but they are packed & efficient.

A couple of the workouts aren't as good as others, but you can discover that and substitute where you want to. They also added a Mass schedule in addition to the traditional Classic, Doubles and Lean schedules offered for X and X2, which is a nice addition to check out.

The Elite Block of X3 is a separate set of workouts (Complex Upper, Complex Lower, X3 Ab Ripper) that you do after you complete P90X3, and it's 4 weeks. I'm finishing up week 2 tomorrow. Once I finish the Elite Block, I'm going to do the X3 Doubles schedule.

I think it's worth the extra money to get the Elite workouts. They really add a lot after you finish a round. You can buy them all at once if you get the Deluxe Edition, which is $239.70 + shipping, and it also comes with 3 resistance bands and a tub of Beachbody's pre-workout drink, Energy & Endurance. The P90X3 Base Kit is $119.85 + shipping, and you can get the Elite Block DVD separately for $89.85 if you don't want the resistance bands and E&E drink.

All that said, it depends on what your goals are. I think X3 is Beachbody's best program for all-around functional fitness. If you're just looking to bulk up, you might want to give Body Beast a look instead. If you're interested in cardio endurance, it's hard to beat Insanity or even Focus T25. But to me, X3 is the whole package. I'll be sticking with it for a long time.
So you do Elite after you finish a round of x3? Or after the program?

And do you need the bands or can you just use free weights like P90X? One of the things I loved about P90X was the pull ups and chin ups. I got so good at doing those by the end of the program and it was really satisfying to go from being able to do 2-3 chin-ups to more than 50 when I was done.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So you do Elite after you finish a round of x3? Or after the program?

And do you need the bands or can you just use free weights like P90X? One of the things I loved about P90X was the pull ups and chin ups. I got so good at doing those by the end of the program and it was really satisfying to go from being able to do 2-3 chin-ups to more than 50 when I was done.

You do Elite on its own, after you complete a P90X3 schedule (so, after the 90 days). Elite is 4 weeks -- 3 weeks of the new workouts followed by a recovery week.

You can absolutely use free weights instead of bands in X3, and there are lots of pull-ups and chin-ups, too.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Question. I started 5k training with Couch to 5K yesterday, this will be the second time I've done it (great program for people who dislike running). Anyways, the program is Mon, Weds, Fri. I still would like to lose weight while doing it as well, so for my Tues Thurs workouts I was thinking MMX Tuesdays (since I'll have more energy early in the week) and rotate between Yoga X3 and Pilates on Thursdays.

Does this seem like a good plan? Or should I sub in something else? I think MMX has one of the higher calorie burns for the X workouts.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Question. I started 5k training with Couch to 5K yesterday, this will be the second time I've done it (great program for people who dislike running). Anyways, the program is Mon, Weds, Fri. I still would like to lose weight while doing it as well, so for my Tues Thurs workouts I was thinking MMX Tuesdays (since I'll have more energy early in the week) and rotate between Yoga X3 and Pilates on Thursdays.

Does this seem like a good plan? Or should I sub in something else? I think MMX has one of the higher calorie burns for the X workouts.

I bet CVX may have a higher calorie burn, especially as you increase weights, but MMX is a great workout. So many burpees!

Sounds reasonable to me though. What sort of meal plan are you thinking about?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I bet CVX may have a higher calorie burn, especially as you increase weights, but MMX is a great workout. So many burpees!

Sounds reasonable to me though. What sort of meal plan are you thinking about?

Hmm, maybe Tuesdays I can rotate between MMX and CVX. :)

I never typically do a meal "plan" per se, because I always fall off of it. I'm just eating better in general and tracking what I eat on MyFitnessPal to make sure I don't get out of hand with sugar or calories or anything. More roasted veggies for dinner.

My weekends have always been my downfall, so I'm working on cutting back there. Drinking a lot of water (especially before meals) helps.

Pyrokai

Random thoughts while doing today's workout:

What should I do if one arm's form goes sloppy when doing curls and fatigues halfway through a rep, yet you don't even really feel a burn?

Why-oh-why can't I do more than 8 Crouching Cohen Curls of a particular weight when I was doing the same rep/weight back in November for this move? My other moves are going up sorta....

Is it okay to only be able to do 2 chin ups indefinitely? I don't feel like I get the chance to "feel the burn" because I can't even lift myself halfway up on the third rep.....is this normal?

What should I do if one arm's form goes sloppy when doing curls and fatigues halfway through a rep, yet you don't even really feel a burn?
Drop the weight to something lighter.

Is it okay to only be able to do 2 chin ups indefinitely? I don't feel like I get the chance to "feel the burn" because I can't even lift myself halfway up on the third rep.....is this normal?
I had the same problem and switched to bands. I can't see much in the way of progression being possible with only two reps to failure.

Maybe use a chair to assist or buy one of those pull up helper thingies?

Pyrokai

Drop the weight to something lighter.

I had the same problem and switched to bands. I can't see much in the way of progression being possible with only two reps to failure.

Maybe use a chair to assist or buy one of those pull up helper thingies?

Okay, cool. I actually did the drop-to-lighter-weight thing :)

Also, I can do about 6-7 pull-ups at the beginning of the workout, but at the end it's all 2-3 :p

When I can't come up anymore, I just start doing the jump up and slowly lower myself move that was suggested here. I'm hoping this works for me. I should be able to tell in a few weeks. My pull up bar can't really support the assist things...

Arthos

Anyone have any recommendations for a heart rate monitor? Not sure which one to get. Would rather keep it under $130 if possible.

Also, for those of you who have done T25 - What dumbbell weight did you use for the Beta exercises?

Anyone have any recommendations for a heart rate monitor? Not sure which one to get. Would rather keep it under $130 if possible.

Don't know what they cost in the US, but Polar make some really good HRMs.

The other option these days is a strap and a low power bluetooth capable phone (iPhone, Nexus 5 etc)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Also, for those of you who have done T25 - What dumbbell weight did you use for the Beta exercises?

HRM -- like Psychotext says, if you have an iPhone 4s, 5, 5c or 5s, there are a number of chest straps you can get that work with apps on your phone. I used the Wahoo Fitness BlueHR chest strap with the Digifit App on my iPhone 4S for Insanity the year before last. The band is $50 on Amazon.com. Wahoo Fitness has a newer model, the Tickr, that's $10 more.

I'm not sure if there are equivalents for Android; I'd think so though.

T25: Depended on the workout and the exercise. I used a wide variety of weights.

Barzul

I started the Insanity/Asylum hybrid a couple days ago. The Insanity workouts definitely feel easier than I remember, but they're still pretty intense. Upgraded my weights for Strength to 35's, way more challenging. Think I'll do heavier bands too, any recommendations?

Wow this is amazing! I'm super motivated to get like this. Awesome work.

Thanks! and you can definitely do it.

Arthos

HRM -- like Psychotext says, if you have an iPhone 4s, 5, 5c or 5s, there are a number of chest straps you can get that work with apps on your phone. I used the Wahoo Fitness BlueHR chest strap with the Digifit App on my iPhone 4S for Insanity the year before last. The band is $50 on Amazon.com. Wahoo Fitness has a newer model, the Tickr, that's $10 more.

T25: Depended on the workout and the exercise. I used a wide variety of weights.

Seems Wahoo was added to the Android store on the 1st of this month. I'll look into it. Thanks!

http://www.bluetooth.com/Pages/Bluetooth-Smart-Devices-List.aspx

All of the ones in the top list should work with the BlueHR chest strap, though with that said, the BlueHR doesn't officially support Android, so you might not want to go that way just in case. There is a Polar equivalent which lists what Android phones it works with: http://www.polar.com/uk-en/products/accessories/Polar_WearLink_transmitter_with_Bluetooth

Ok, as someone who has been doing P90X and just had a coworker mention how short P90X3 videos are I have a question: Is it as good? I really like the idea of a shorter exercise time but I dont wish to lose a quality routine just to save time.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Seems my healthier eating, Couch to 5K and supplemental P90X3 workouts have been working this week, I look better and have lost a few pounds. Need to keep it up.

Roasted veggies (in olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper) are delicious.

God Enel

Guys what kind of shoes would you recommend for p90x etc.? My shoes are falling apart, since they are several years (~8) old. Thought about Nike frees (5.0)? Would you recommend them? What are the alternatives?

Pretty much anything. I wear Asics crosstraining shoes, but mostly because I liked how they looked and they were cheap. You really don't need anything special.

Dragon

Banned
Alright I'm gonna try to get back on this train, I was in really good shape with the original P90X two years ago, lived in NY for a year and didn't have the room to do it and man I gained a shitload of weight. Looking to get back in shape for summertime sadness. Should I just jump right back into one of the routines or ease back in with some cardio (Plyo, Kenpo)?

I'm gonna try to wake up early and do it although the few times I've done that I tended to get extremely sore, so we'll see.

I recently did setup my standing desk that I built from Ikea parts and man that helps a ton, if anyone does have a desk job and is interested, it's 20 bucks and I can send them info.

I'd personally do a few days of it (cardio routines probably), then take a few days off, then start the program. Every time I've started exercising after a long break I've wrecked my muscles and made the first week almost impossible to start with.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Guys what kind of shoes would you recommend for p90x etc.? My shoes are falling apart, since they are several years (~8) old. Thought about Nike frees (5.0)? Would you recommend them? What are the alternatives?

Court shoes or cross trainers. Do not use running shoes. They're for going forward. You need shoes with good lateral support, and running shoes will not have it.

I wear Vibram KSO Sports (with toe socks) for everything, but I also have a pair of Reebok CrossFlex 2.0s which are good too. Shaun T wears the same Reeboks (same color, too) in at least one of the Focus T25 videos.

woot. yesterday would have marked day 90 if i stuck with the p90x3 schedule. today i'll start over. hopefully i can at least get a months worth of exercise out. now i have to find the classic schedule online.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Finished P90X3 Mass schedule last week. Or actually, I did a couple of Elite weeks on top of that as well. Quite pleased with the results, I liked it overall, especially the eccentric upper and lower workouts. Or more like a love/hate relationship. :p But really felt like they were effective.
Didn't care for some of the workouts though, like X3 Yoga, where I used X2 Yoga instead. Will be hard to go back to older P90X workouts after the 30 min workouts of X3 (and no ab ripper... well almost!).
It's Monday now and I'm not entirely sure what to do, but I'll probably start another round of Body Beast... as long as I can throw in yoga or similar as well. Last time I did Body Beast, it felt like I had to sacrifice a lot (flexibility, balance etc) because of how focused it is on mass and strength.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Finished P90X3 Mass schedule last week. Or actually, I did a couple of Elite weeks on top of that as well. Quite pleased with the results, I liked it overall, especially the eccentric upper and lower workouts. Or more like a love/hate relationship. :p But really felt like they were effective.
Didn't care for some of the workouts though, like X3 Yoga, where I used X2 Yoga instead. Will be hard to go back to older P90X workouts after the 30 min workouts of X3 (and no ab ripper... well almost!).
It's Monday now and I'm not entirely sure what to do, but I'll probably start another round of Body Beast... as long as I can throw in yoga or similar as well. Last time I did Body Beast, it felt like I had to sacrifice a lot (flexibility, balance etc) because of how focused it is on mass and strength.

Congrats! Make sure you message Deadly Cyclone so he can add you to the graduates list :)

Yeah I think X3 Yoga is too short, too. I might either do it twice, or sub in X2 Yoga when I start X3 Doubles in a couple weeks.

I love Body Beast, but you just can't beat the P90X series for overall functional fitness. Working in some Yoga & cardio is a good idea.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Congrats! Make sure you message Deadly Cyclone so he can add you to the graduates list :)

Yeah I think X3 Yoga is too short, too. I might either do it twice, or sub in X2 Yoga when I start X3 Doubles in a couple weeks.

I love Body Beast, but you just can't beat the P90X series for overall functional fitness. Working in some Yoga & cardio is a good idea.

Thanks! :) Yeah, for me personally X2 Yoga is perfect, I love it.
And I agree the P90X series is better for overall fitness, what I'm looking for is something in-between Body Beast and the P90X series, leaning more towards mass and strength than the P90X series but still more overall fitness than what Body Beast offers. So I started Body Beast today, and I'll try to fit yoga in somewhere, see how it goes. I did read that if you mix in other programs with Body Beast too much, it may end up counter-productive.

And_Boy

Finished P90X3 Mass schedule last week. Or actually, I did a couple of Elite weeks on top of that as well. Quite pleased with the results, I liked it overall, especially the eccentric upper and lower workouts...
It's Monday now and I'm not entirely sure what to do, but I'll probably start another round of Body Beast...

I want to bulk up but I don't really want to purchase Body Beast as I have X3 and only 30 spare min/day. After reading your feedback I'll start X3 Mass and really hope I chose right (curious how 30 min works for mass).

Also, is there T25 mass schedule like X3?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I want to bulk up but I don't really want to purchase Body Beast as I have X3 and only 30 spare min/day. After reading your feedback I'll start X3 Mass and really hope I chose right (curious how 30 min works for mass).

No, T25 has some strength workouts (particularly the Gamma phase) but it doesn't really have any alternate schedules like the P90X series (or Body Beast) have.

The P90X3 Mass schedule basically has you doing more of the strength workouts and fewer of the cardio workouts, whereas Lean is pretty much the opposite. So it's still 30 minute workouts.

Majestad

Banned

No. That program is pretty cardio based.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION

It can be quite intense, and I've been getting comments from people around me that it looks like I'm working out nowadays (without me even telling them about it before-hand), so I guess something has changed. :) Also, you can always use bigger weights (assuming you can handle them with proper form, of course).
And just as Stevemeister said, P90X3 mass schedule is mainly about removing some of the cardio workouts and adding strength workouts in their place.

Also, if you have your diet completely in check and know your body well, I guess you could do two workouts more focused on strength on the same day (like one in the morning and one in the afternoon). But at the same time, the workouts in P90X3 usually involve a lot of different muscle groups at the same time (while Body Beast typically covers 1-2 per workout), so maybe the recovery time in-between wouldn't be enough. I don't know, just an idea, I personally wouldn't try it myself though.

Top Bottom