• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Ixian

Still haven't recovered from Friday's deadlifts so I get to find out how bad I am at chin-ups in an hour. Can't wait. :D
Wow, first set of chin-ups since I started barbell training and I murdered them pretty hard. Almost threw myself into the ceiling from using what I thought would be an appropriate amount of force. Guess I have to pick up that weighted vest sooner than I expected.

LaneDS

Completed a 57 minute run today! Pretty slow pace, 5 miles, but did it outdoors without breaks. It's not plyo (actually walked over to an indoor basketball court nearby after setting my laptop up with the workout, but it was in use) but I'm pretty happy with that as a substitute. Still hate running though! Podcasts might be the secret to distance running for me, over energetic music which gets me to overexert myself sometimes.

Wow, first set of chin-ups since I started barbell training and I murdered them pretty hard. Almost threw myself into the ceiling from using what I thought would be an appropriate amount of force. Guess I have to pick up that weighted vest sooner than I expected.

Nice work man! Good to surprise yourself in that kind of way I'll bet.

Ixian

Completed a 57 minute run today! Pretty slow pace, 5 miles, but did it outdoors without breaks. It's not plyo (actually walked over to an indoor basketball court nearby after setting my laptop up with the workout, but it was in use) but I'm pretty happy with that as a substitute. Still hate running though! Podcasts might be the secret to distance running for me, over energetic music which gets me to overexert myself sometimes.
I find podcasts to work better for the same reasons. I actually had a similar issue with T25; in general I tried to move to the exact beat, but if I wanted to go faster I felt like I had to go at double the speed to stay in sync.

Along those lines, I play dancing games like Dance Dance Revolution and Pump it Up, and the same "omg intense song gotta go fast" thing can happen there, which leads to a lot of wasted energy when you could just play calmly.

Nice work man! Good to surprise yourself in that kind of way I'll bet.
For sure, I even dug out my assist in preparation for my expected failure, so I had a "Huh, did I just do that?" moment after my first chin-up. I bet I'd still get killed by pull-ups though. XD

LaneDS

Really good progress then, congrats again on that.

I also remember my DDR playing days from ages long past and know exactly what you mean when your favorite or more energetic songs get going. Tonight I just listened to an hour of "How Did This Get Made?" and was entertained/distracted enough to run nearly a full hour uninterrupted. Halfway to my goal of being able to run 10 miles without stopping, which I have a little under 80 days to hit.

Ixian

greek yogurt is high in protein, also peanut butter but its also fatty.
He did mention eating a spoonful of peanut butter, which I find strange because who could possibly eat just a spoonful of peanut butter? (In all seriousness, I stopped eating it for that reason.)

If you wanna make Kenpo X difficult you need to get on that Dragon Ball Z shit: 60 pound weighted vest. Just picked one of those up for my chin-ups; it turned out to be cheaper than Amazon thanks to free shipping since the one on Amazon wasn't Prime eligible.

LaneDS

He did mention eating a spoonful of peanut butter, which I find strange because who could possibly eat just a spoonful of peanut butter? (In all seriousness, I stopped eating it for that reason.)

If you wanna make Kenpo X difficult you need to get on that Dragon Ball Z shit: 60 pound weighted vest. Just picked one of those up for my chin-ups; it turned out to be cheaper than Amazon thanks to free shipping since the one on Amazon wasn't Prime eligible.

...you'll also need this.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Day two of insanity done. Why is this so much harder than a year ago. What have I been doing to my body?!?? 😩😩😩😫😫😫

Ixian

Day two of insanity done. Why is this so much harder than a year ago. What have I been doing to my body?!?? 😩😩😩😫😫😫
Just wait for month two.
cc11f0337a6a7ca1a976143cbee103d9_400x400.jpeg

LaneDS

Back and biceps finished. Didn't remember some of the moves, like the elbows out lawnmowers. Felt like I got a really good workout and ended up on the bands fairly early for pull-ups due to going hard earlier in the workout.

Also, Katie is the worst thing about P90X. So annoying.

officially at the halfway point of power 90 (not X)

quite happy with myself for sticking with it despite vacationing this summer

i can tell a difference; i'm more toned than when i started, my stamina's higher, i'm sleeping better, plus i've increased the amount of push-ups and pull-ups i can do in a session :cool:

i hope the new p90 will be out when i finish this one, as i really like the 25 minute sessions much more than p90x's 50 minute workouts

LaneDS

i can tell a difference; i'm more toned than when i started, my stamina's higher, i'm sleeping better, plus i've increased the amount of push-ups and pull-ups i can do in a session :cool:

i hope the new p90 will be out when i finish this one, as i really like the 25 minute sessions much more than p90x's 50 minute workouts

Have you considered P90X3 with the 30 minute workouts as your next program? Might be an awesome fit.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Nice progress! P90 is supposed to be out sometime this fall. Last I heard they were hoping for September, but there are apparently a number of variables that could delay it.

I liked Power90, my biggest problem with it was that it didn't come with levels 5 & 6, and so I ended up doing levels 3 & 4 for two months and had pretty much mastered them (and was bored with them) long before I finished. It would have been nice to do 5 & 6 for the last month, but I hadn't planned ahead & bought them (they're available as the Power90 Master Series).

Mathi

Hello BeachbodyGAF!

I finished T25 about 2 months ago and am now doing random Beta workouts 4-5 times a week. I lost a good amount of weight in the process, although I didn't follow the nutrition plan, I just reduced the amount of junk food, tried to eat more healthy, only drank water, etc. I'm 175cm (5'9) and about 68kg (150lbs) now. I guess it's time to adjust the diet even more and start a new workout program, ideally with a focus on building strength!

Since I already did T25 Alpha and Beta, it seems like Gamma would be the best choice, but I'm also interested in P90X3 (I really like these half hour workouts). What would you recommend?

LaneDS

Hello BeachbodyGAF!

I finished T25 about 2 months ago and am now doing random Beta workouts 4-5 times a week. I lost a good amount of weight in the process, although I didn't follow the nutrition plan, I just reduced the amount of junk food, tried to eat more healthy, only drank water, etc. I'm 175cm (5'9) and about 68kg (150lbs) now, but still skinnyfat. I guess it's time to adjust the diet even more and start a new workout program, ideally with a focus on building strength!

Since I already did T25 Alpha and Beta, it seems like Gamma would be the best choice, but I'm also interested in P90X3 (I really like these half hour workouts). What would you recommend?

I think if you had good success with T25 and still feel you're "skinny fat" you should give one of the P90X programs (P90X or X3) a chance since I think they'll help build strength better than the Shaun T stuff. No issues with getting the required equipment for the program, like a pull-up bar, proper weights and what not?

LaneDS

X2 is great but I think if someone hasn't done any of the programs, starting with X1 or X3 would be best. The moves in X2 can be tricky and I think semi-rely on the expectation that someone has been doing X1 already.

My takeaway between X1 and X2 is that X1 got me strong primarily, but X2 seemed less focused on building strength and more focused on fitness. More flexibility and movement in that program, and felt a little more well-rounded. Liked it a lot.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
P90X2 is all about athletic performance training, and less about building strength. There's a heavy emphasis on your core and on stability. I'd say that while it's a great workout program, it's not as much about "functional fitness" as P90X and P90X3 are. And P90X2 has a drawback of requiring more equipment than the other two (medicine balls, stability balls and a foam roller, in addition to weights and a way to do or simulate pull-ups).

Hello BeachbodyGAF!

I finished T25 about 2 months ago and am now doing random Beta workouts 4-5 times a week. I lost a good amount of weight in the process, although I didn't follow the nutrition plan, I just reduced the amount of junk food, tried to eat more healthy, only drank water, etc. I'm 175cm (5'9) and about 68kg (150lbs) now, but still skinnyfat. I guess it's time to adjust the diet even more and start a new workout program, ideally with a focus on building strength!

Gamma is way different than alpha and beta. There are also 2 months worth of gamma workouts,

The first month is all gamma followed by a combination of gamma and beta workouts.

Gamma is also a size able step up in difficulty from beta and will put on muscle.

Without gamma, I don't think T25 is that great of a workout. Making gamma an addon was a poor choice.

Ixian

It should be noted that building strength is not necessarily building muscle. If you are eating at a deficit, you will not build muscle aside from so-called newb gains. However, this does not mean you will not gain strength (though eventually you'll hit a limit with that on a deficit), as your body recruits your existing muscles for your efforts. Basically, if you want to look good as you lose weight, you should be doing strength-training type stuff to retain whatever muscles you already have (and you do have muscles, even if it's under lays of fat). You're not going to accidentally bulk up doing P90X (or any other kind of lifting routine).

In other words, while doing strength training on a deficit your body is like Terminator telling your already existing muscles "Come with me if you want to live."

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think I'm going to have to skip Shoulders & Arms today. I did too many push ups on Chest & Back day and my left arm has been hurting like hell ever since. Aggh Maybe I can do X-Stretch instead or something?

peanut butter and banana sandwiches on 100% whole wheat high fiber bread.

only way to live brah.

cant eat wheat either brah (sillyak) so i have to settle for chia or some shit

s'okay do

I think I'm going to have to skip Shoulders & Arms today. I did too many push ups on Chest & Back day and my left arm has been hurting like hell ever since. Aggh Maybe I can do X-Stretch instead or something?

s'okay do

gluten free brown rice bread.

lol. all these alternative though ;P

LaneDS

s'okay do

Yeah, work around the injury as Tony likes to say. Eat right, stretch, maybe do something else (go for a run or something?) and tomorrow the workout will be waiting for you if you feel up for it. Or reduce the weight/reps on the moves where you think the pain will be an issue. Get a good amount of sleep too if you can.

Looking forward to getting out of work and knocking out yoga tonight. Back & biceps has me nice and sore from yesterday but I feel stronger and look leaner almost every day which just makes me want to keep pushing forward. Good to be back, basically.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Oh yeah, I ended up ordering some resistance bands a few days ago. Excited for when they arrive.

gluten free brown rice bread.

lol. all these alternative though ;P

ikr?! XD

Yeah, work around the injury as Tony likes to say. Eat right, stretch, maybe do something else (go for a run or something?) and tomorrow the workout will be waiting for you if you feel up for it. Or reduce the weight/reps on the moves where you think the pain will be an issue. Get a good amount of sleep too if you can.

Thanks for the advice - sounds like a plan!

Bollocks

Admittedly I never made it to month two last year. I was about to start then I hurt myself. Why you say this? Why you do this??!

Whenever I start over again even after a 6 month break, I start right with month 2.
Call me crazy but I like it that way.
My whole shirt is dripping in sweat, but I need that as a testament to my hard workout. month 1 just doesn't cut it :D

Ixian

One of the exercises requires a good chair, too; chances are you have one already but for me, I live in a studio and the only chair I have is a computer chair which doesn't work for the routine.

LaneDS

Yesterday I started up X1 yoga and just wasn't feeling it. Forced myself through the first 50 minutes of it (right after the warrior 3 section which I'm still awful at) and then called it for the evening. That didn't sit right with me, so I tried out my first X3 workout which was pilates. Pretty tough, especially with my lower back problems, but glad I tried it (only did 20 of the 30 minutes before the dog jumped on my chest, ending what was left of my desire to workout).

So not quite a successful day of yoga but still a good amount of exercise. Deciding whether or not I'll try legs & back today after work or tomorrow on a day off.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
One of the exercises requires a good chair, too; chances are you have one already but for me, I live in a studio and the only chair I have is a computer chair which doesn't work for the routine.

Oh, the side kicks in Eccentric Lower? I have a bar stool I use for that, but you can use anything that's fairly stable and roughly waist-high.

LaneDS

Legs & back done for the week. As always, felt like a monster of a workout. Felt/saw some improvements in a few areas so happy with the results. Going to do X3 pilates tonight with the girlfriend in lieu of ab ripper since it seems very similar in focus (and I hate ab ripper).

Been mixing my protein powder with frozen berries and blending it into a smoothie sometimes post workout... has really contained a lot of my desire to eat something sweet (and I used to be so talented at polishing off a pint of Ben & Jerry's in a sitting too). Pretty guilt free post-workout shake. Might see what other concoctions I can come up with along the same lines.

Finished another round of P90X. If I'm honest I'm not massively happy with my results, but I think I went too low on calories so I shouldn't be too surprised.

Not sure if I want to do P90X2 or Body Beast next.

So I bought a Garmin Vivofit activity monitor and heart-rate monitor, and I've been using it with T25 for the last couple days.

So. Awesome.

It's great getting actual feedback based on height, weight, AND heart rate over the course of each workout. Gives me a much better idea of what my activity is doing to affect my calories for the day as well!

5KoVV6S.png

Top Bottom