• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Finished another round of P90X. If I'm honest I'm not massively happy with my results, but I think I went too low on calories so I shouldn't be too surprised.

Not sure if I want to do P90X2 or Body Beast next.

Hybrid maybe? I have just today plus one more "victory week" on P90X3 Doubles, though phase 3 has been tough in terms of doing both workouts every day. A stomach bug really took some of my stamina. But, it's still been pretty good.

I guess figure out what goals you have going forward. I haven't done an X2 workout in a long time, but having done so many non-Horton workouts last year, and almost 2 rounds of X3 (plus the elite block) this year, I have to say the P90X series are probably my favorites.

Although PiYo is pretty great... I've only done 2 of the workouts (P90X3 Mass + PiYo are up next for me), but that "Sweat" workout sure lives up to its name. Might be something to consider.

So I bought a Garmin Vivofit activity monitor and heart-rate monitor, and I've been using it with T25 for the last couple days.

So. Awesome.

It's great getting actual feedback based on height, weight, AND heart rate over the course of each workout. Gives me a much better idea of what my activity is doing to affect my calories for the day as well!

5KoVV6S.png

That's pretty cool! Is it compatible with any other apps, like Digifit?

What kind of mats does everyone use? I'm in the market for one because I don't want to keep putting my sweaty body on my carpet.

I have 1/2" thick foam puzzle mat flooring on top of carpet in my basement gym. For yoga & Pilates & other floor work I have a standard Gaim yoga mat I use as well.

That's pretty cool! Is it compatible with any other apps, like Digifit?

I haven't tested it, but it is compatible with anything that recognizes an ANT+ heart monitor. The Polar ones all use Bluetooth to receive signal but it's supposedly a little less reliable. ANT+ is the preferred wireless signal for HRMs. I think I paid $35 for it? It was really affordable, and I only got the most basic version but it's very comfy.

LaneDS

So I'm two days into week six, and as usual what would have been a plyo day turned into a distance run day for me. A little over six weeks ago I remember getting on the treadmill here and I struggled to run 30 minutes without stopping (granted I think I set it to a pace faster than I run outside... but still). Tonight I ran six miles outside, up and down hills, at a pace (slightly) faster than the first run I tracked a month ago which was just three miles. So I'm feeling pretty good about that progress.

Still hate running, but I like progress. And podcasts.

Tomorrow back to lifting with back & biceps.

Ambitious

Hi, Beachbody-GAF. First time posting here (actually, first time posting in any fitness thread).

Over the last few years, I've become (slightly) overweight and my stamina was reduced to a minimum. I want to change that, and why not go even further and try to get an actually good looking body?

This week, I'm going to start with P90X. I've never done any bodybuilding or proper fitness programs at all, I'm quite weak, and as I've mentioned, my stamina is awful. I'm gonna have a real hard time, but I will not give up.

However, I've got a few questions and worries which I wanted to talk about here:
  • I've watched a few minutes of the DVDs. So apparently, for each type of training, there's a fixed time to do a self-chosen number of reps. For instance, one minute for standard push-ups in the Chest & Back video. What if I'm not able to finish within that time? Let's say I plan to to 30 push-ups, but after one minute I'm just at 15. Am I supposed to pause the video and keep doing them or just go on to the next training? (Or should I rather not decide for any number, but simply do as much as I can within the time limit?)
  • Apart from the number of reps, what about the weight of dumbbells (or the type of resistance bands)? Should I just choose the heaviest one I assume to be able to lift often enough and go with it?
  • I sure as hell will be half-dead after each workout session. But when I've recovered a few hours later, couldn't I just do the next session on the same day? (I will probably not do that, though, but simply go jogging instead)
  • Unfortunately, I won't be able to strictly follow the 6+1 days schedule. I essentially live in two places currently; I spend 4 days in one place and 3 days in the other. I can't take my equipment with me all the time. Stuff like Yoga X or X Stretch is doable, of course.
  • I can't install a chin-up bar anywhere. So I need to use resistance bands instead - I hope they're not too inferior to a proper bar.

edit: Maybe I should read the included fitness guide first and do the fitness test.

LaneDS

Hi, Beachbody-GAF. First time posting here (actually, first time posting in any fitness thread).

Over the last few years, I've become (slightly) overweight and my stamina was reduced to a minimum. I want to change that, and why not go even further and try to get an actually good looking body?

This week, I'm going to start with P90X. I've never done any bodybuilding or proper fitness programs at all, I'm quite weak, and as I've mentioned, my stamina is awful. I'm gonna have a real hard time, but I will not give up.

However, I've got a few questions and worries which I wanted to talk about here:
  • I've watched a few minutes of the DVDs. So apparently, for each type of training, there's a fixed time to do a self-chosen number of reps. For instance, one minute for standard push-ups in the Chest & Back video. What if I'm not able to finish within that time? Let's say I plan to to 30 push-ups, but after one minute I'm just at 15. Am I supposed to pause the video and keep doing them or just go on to the next training? (Or should I rather not decide for any number, but simply do as much as I can within the time limit?)
  • Apart from the number of reps, what about the weight of dumbbells (or the type of resistance bands)? Should I just choose the heaviest one I assume to be able to lift often enough and go with it?
  • I sure as hell will be half-dead after each workout session. But when I've recovered a few hours later, couldn't I just do the next session on the same day? (I will probably not do that, though, but simply go jogging instead)
  • Unfortunately, I won't be able to strictly follow the 6+1 days schedule. I essentially live in two places currently; I spend 4 days in one place and 3 days in the other. I can't take my equipment with me all the time. Stuff like Yoga X or X Stretch is doable, of course.
  • I can't install a chin-up bar anywhere. So I need to use resistance bands instead - I hope they're not too inferior to a proper bar.

edit: Maybe I should read the included fitness guide first and do the fitness test.

Welcome!

Answer 1: The guy running the workouts (Tony) says this a ton, but "do your best and forget the rest". For push-ups and pull-ups, you'll usually be told to either do as many as you can until failure or pace yourself since you'll need to do more later on in the workout. In general, you'll be told what to aim for with most moves (ex: 8-10 reps for size, 12-15 for lean).

You're free to pause whenever, if you think you'll get a better workout/more reps out of it. Personally, I choose to usually keep it running unless I need to pause (either because I am just wiped or because I need more time to setup for the next move). An hour is a long time (to me) so I figure putting in a solid effort for sixty minutes is good enough.

Answer 2: A lot of times Tony will suggest "something light" or give you a sense of what the people in the video are using. My recommendation is just pick something for the first time you do each workout/move that you think will work for you. You might find that it's too light or too heavy. Write that down on your worksheet (and you should absolutely be using those for a lot of reasons). You can even write down what you think would work best for you next week in the column over, for the next time you do the workout. First day will be the worst probably since you don't know the right amount just yet, but there is nothing wrong with adjusting weight mid-set to get what works best for you.

Answer 3: I would recommend not doing the next day's workout a few hours later, but kudos to you if you're able to. Your body needs proper time to rest/recover/grow after these workouts (make sure you're giving it the proper diet if at all possibl) and if you overdo it, you might dimish your results. That said, once you get into the swing of it there actually are doubles programs and similar things for crazy folk like yourself. Try it first, if you're a monster, eventually figure out where you can fit in more exercise to suit your goals while still paying attention to your body's needs.

The last bits aren't questions it seems, so focus on doing plyometrics, kenpo, and yoga when you're lacking equipment if possible. Don't get too hung up on the schedule and do what you can when you can and I think if you bring the proper intensity to the workouts and structure your eating you'll get great results.

Good luck!

Ambitious

Welcome!

Answer 1: The guy running the workouts (Tony) says this a ton, but "do your best and forget the rest". For push-ups and pull-ups, you'll usually be told to either do as many as you can until failure or pace yourself since you'll need to do more later on in the workout. In general, you'll be told what to aim for with most moves (ex: 8-10 reps for size, 12-15 for lean).

You're free to pause whenever, if you think you'll get a better workout/more reps out of it. Personally, I choose to usually keep it running unless I need to pause (either because I am just wiped or because I need more time to setup for the next move). An hour is a long time (to me) so I figure putting in a solid effort for sixty minutes is good enough.

Answer 2: A lot of times Tony will suggest "something light" or give you a sense of what the people in the video are using. My recommendation is just pick something for the first time you do each workout/move that you think will work for you. You might find that it's too light or too heavy. Write that down on your worksheet (and you should absolutely be using those for a lot of reasons). You can even write down what you think would work best for you next week in the column over, for the next time you do the workout. First day will be the worst probably since you don't know the right amount just yet, but there is nothing wrong with adjusting weight mid-set to get what works best for you.

Answer 3: I would recommend not doing the next day's workout a few hours later, but kudos to you if you're able to. Your body needs proper time to rest/recover/grow after these workouts (make sure you're giving it the proper diet if at all possibl) and if you overdo it, you might dimish your results. That said, once you get into the swing of it there actually are doubles programs and similar things for crazy folk like yourself. Try it first, if you're a monster, eventually figure out where you can fit in more exercise to suit your goals while still paying attention to your body's needs.

The last bits aren't questions it seems, so focus on doing plyometrics, kenpo, and yoga when you're lacking equipment if possible. Don't get too hung up on the schedule and do what you can when you can and I think if you bring the proper intensity to the workouts and structure your eating you'll get great results.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for this elaborate answer. I gotta admin, I had some doubts after reading the fitness guide, but your post slightly increased my motivation again.

Write that down on your worksheet (and you should absolutely be using those for a lot of reasons).

What reasons would that be? Tracking the progress of how many reps I am able to do per activity type, obviously, and as an aid to assess whether I could already switch to heavier dumbbells, as you mentioned. What else?

Yeah, it's really, really unlikely I'll ever do two sessions. I'm not a crazy fitness freak or a monster; in fact I'm rather lazy. But I do hope P90X will change that. I was asking just in case.

LaneDS

Thank you very much for this elaborate answer. I gotta admin, I had some doubts after reading the fitness guide, but your post slightly increased my motivation again.

What reasons would that be? Tracking the progress of how many reps I am able to do per activity type, obviously, and as an aid to assess whether I could already switch to heavier dumbbells, as you mentioned. What else?

Yeah, it's really, really unlikely I'll ever do two sessions. I'm not a crazy fitness freak or a monster; in fact I'm rather lazy. But I do hope P90X will change that. I was asking just in case.

You're welcome! Hope it helps, obviously.

Tracking your progress is important for things like knowing you're using the right amount of weight, setting (and exceeding) goals for yourself, and just a general measure of progress. Being able to look back after completing some/all of the program and seeing how far you advanced is (for most) a pretty rad feeling. By no means required... but very helpful. I'm sure there are other reasons I'm not immediately thinking of too.

Once you start doing the workouts... I think you'll find one is quite enough in most cases. It's hard! First week is the hardest, without question. If you stick with it, you'll surprise yourself. Don't overthink it, and start as soon as you can if possible.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Starting some time today, Beachbody is having a huge sale on Body Beast. They haven't announced how long the sale will last.

Here are the details:

Body Beast base kit. Normally $89.95, on sale for $39.90
Body Beast deluxe kit. Normally $199.95, on sale for $149.90
Body Beast ultimate kit. Normally $254.70, on sale for $199.90
Body Beast "supplements" Challenge Pack. Normally $220, on sale for $170 + $2 shipping.
Body Beast Shakeology Challenge Pack.. Normally $180, on sale for $160.

Click on the links for details as to what's in each package. In general, the Deluxe and Ultimate kits include bonus workouts and different combinations of the Body Beast supplements.

The Challenge Packs include either all of the Body Beast supplements on monthly auto ship, or Shakeology on monthly auto ship.

I'm not sure at what point the prices will be updated, but they should be by the end of today (Thursday 7/24). Edit: The sale is now on!

If you have any questions about Body Beast, post them here -- several of us have gone through the program!

LaneDS

I had forgotten how much better X2 yoga is than X1. Did that last night (and back & biceps the night before) and it's just a tighter, more effective workout with around 20-25 minutes cut out from X1. Won't be doing X1 yoga again anytime soon most likely.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
^^ ha, was going to buy BB at that price but then i realized i probably won't have half the equipments needed.

Required equipment: Dumbbells or resistance bands + a stability ball.
Recommended equipment: Dumbbells, EZ curl bar with plates, and a weight bench.

They always have someone modifying with dumbbells and a stability ball.

I've found that I am enjoying T25 so much that I've been doubling up on days that I don't have to - or running a few miles and then working out. The last three days I either ran 4 miles before my scheduled workout or did an additional round of T25 Cardio 1.0 or Speed 1.0 right after the scheduled workout.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I've found that I am enjoying T25 so much that I've been doubling up on days that I don't have to - or running a few miles and then working out. The last three days I either ran 4 miles before my scheduled workout or did an additional round of T25 Cardio 1.0 or Speed 1.0 right after the scheduled workout.

I have this crazy idea for next year -- doing P90X3 Mass, followed immediately by PiYo, followed immediately by Focus T25. Strength, bodyweight balance/flexibility, cardio, in about 2 hours.

I could also do Body Beast instead of P90X3, or straight olympic lifts (which I plan to get into at some point next year, once I can get the equipment for it).

I have this crazy idea for next year -- doing P90X3 Mass, followed immediately by PiYo, followed immediately by Focus T25. Strength, bodyweight balance/flexibility, cardio, in about 2 hours.

I could also do Body Beast instead of P90X3, or straight olympic lifts (which I plan to get into at some point next year, once I can get the equipment for it).

Yup, that's crazy.

Required equipment: Dumbbells or resistance bands + a stability ball.
Recommended equipment: Dumbbells, EZ curl bar with plates, and a weight bench.

They always have someone modifying with dumbbells and a stability ball.

is a stability ball really needed? i have the dumbbells, and bands.

Stability balls are really cheap. Wouldn't worry too much about getting one.

Unless it's a matter of space... in which case, yeah, they're really annoying.

Ixian

One of us! One of us!

Best investment I've made, fitness-wise. Thinking about replacing my squat rack with a power rack soon but I don't trust myself to build it, lol.

Stability balls are really cheap. Wouldn't worry too much about getting one.

Unless it's a matter of space... in which case, yeah, they're really annoying.

i probably could rearrange the place for it. but it'll be awhile if i ever think about doing BB. like do i need at least 1 full body around to do the stuff?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
is a stability ball really needed? i have the dumbbells, and bands.

You could do bench presses and flies on the floor, though you'll lose a bit of range of motion. And you could do many of the seated moves on a sturdy, strong chair. But there are also a lot of moves where you need something to support your back or chest at an angle. An adjustable weight bench is best, but you can do these with a stability ball.

If you get one, make sure you get one that says it's heavy duty or anti-burst. You need it to support your weight plus whatever you're lifting.

You could do bench presses and flies on the floor, though you'll lose a bit of range of motion. And you could do many of the seated moves on a sturdy, strong chair. But there are also a lot of moves where you need something to support your back or chest at an angle. An adjustable weight bench is best, but you can do these with a stability ball.

If you get one, make sure you get one that says it's heavy duty or anti-burst. You need it to support your weight plus whatever you're lifting.

so i can replace the ball with a bench? i don't trust the ball popping. and plus there's kids around that probably would hurt themselves on it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I had forgotten how much better X2 yoga is than X1. Did that last night (and back & biceps the night before) and it's just a tighter, more effective workout with around 20-25 minutes cut out from X1. Won't be doing X1 yoga again anytime soon most likely.

In what ways is it better?

LaneDS

In what ways is it better?

I think the immediate "benefit" is the time difference. X1 is over 90 minutes and X2 is 67 minutes. X2 seems to be less about the relaxation and mental benefits yoga might provide and is more concerned with doing more with less time. Not many moves in X2 will feel new or unfamiliar after doing X1 a few times, but if you're like me you'll be drenched in sweat fairly quick.

Not doing a great job explaining it, but it just feels more efficient overall. Still challenging, still a long workout, and feels like it goes by quicker as a result. I dig it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
so i can replace the ball with a bench? i don't trust the ball popping. and plus there's kids around that probably would hurt themselves on it.

Yeah, the stability ball is if you don't have a bench. Body Beast is better with a bench, but they show mods on a stability ball for people who don't want to spend the $$ on a good bench.

Gumbie

I'm still running a continuous Body Beast Bulk schedule with running on one of the 6 days. Still getting great results and going up in weight every couple of weeks. I've also went back to do doing leangains intermittent fasting to try and get rid of this belly fat that's been hanging around too long.

One of the biggest changes I've made personally is not being so hard and strict on myself about these workouts. If something comes up and I miss a day or my diet sucks every now and again I don't beat myself up anymore. Used to I would be super pissed and down about it which would actually demotivate me and make me want to stop working out all together because I had the mentality of "Well if you aren't going to do it right, you might we well not do it at all". I've also stopped being so rigid about following the programs exactly as they are wrote. I was working through my 2nd round of body beast and I realized I really dislike (and was dreading) the build workouts because they are longer. So I said fuck it and pretty much run bulk all the time now, every 6 weeks or so I may get in a week of build just to switch it up but I don't have that forced feeling of dread when I do.

Kopite

Hey guys I finished up the alpha version of T25 a few weeks ago( I didn't do it following the schedule, more over the course of a few months). Can I jump straight into Beta despite the few weeks break?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Hey guys I finished up the alpha version of T25 a few weeks ago( I didn't do it following the schedule, more over the course of a few months). Can I jump straight into Beta despite the few weeks break?

Yeah, I mean you can always go back & do a couple weeks of Alpha if you feel like it's a bit too much.

nynt9

I've done two entire rounds of T25 (including Gamma), but I could only get through the first month of Insanity - the second month was too intense. Tried P90X3 but didn't really enjoy Tony's style, Shaun is more suited for me. Now I'm doing T25 again, but I'm wondering, how can I improve my stamina further? I feel like I'm always running out of energy halfway through a workout and especially certain muscle groups just run out very early (most noticeable when doing squats and pushups).

LaneDS

Almost done with week six. Legs & back finished for the day, and very happy with my numbers. Partially has to do with taking more breaks between moves than usual due to having to get some remote work done, but that inadvertently allowed me to push harder on certain moves. Squats are still garbage for me and most of the "keep your leg off the floor" type moves (Super Skaters/Speed Squats) end up with me just doing really slow, deliberate squat motions where my other foot most definitely touches the floor and provides some support... not sure what I can do aside from that to try and get either stronger or better form. Aside from that, did the Sneaky Lunges with 10 lb weights which was quite the challenge to knock out 20 reps with, and boosted the calf raise weight by 5 lb per side (to 20 lb) which yielded a nice burn.

So yeah, feeling good.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think the immediate "benefit" is the time difference. X1 is over 90 minutes and X2 is 67 minutes. X2 seems to be less about the relaxation and mental benefits yoga might provide and is more concerned with doing more with less time. Not many moves in X2 will feel new or unfamiliar after doing X1 a few times, but if you're like me you'll be drenched in sweat fairly quick.

Not doing a great job explaining it, but it just feels more efficient overall. Still challenging, still a long workout, and feels like it goes by quicker as a result. I dig it.

That actually does sound a lot better. X1 Yoga is really a drag for me because it's just so damn long. I might buy an X2 disk off ebay and do it instead if it's really that much better.

Used to I would be super pissed and down about it which would actually demotivate me and make me want to stop working out all together because I had the mentality of "Well if you aren't going to do it right, you might we well not do it at all".

This is kind of where I'm at now. I know Tony says "Do your best and forget the rest" but I still feel bad that I'm not able to do P90X every day (I try though) and when I do I can only do about half of the exercises. Sometimes I feel like "What's the point if you're not going to follow it to a tee?"

One of the biggest changes I've made personally is not being so hard and strict on myself about these workouts. If something comes up and I miss a day or my diet sucks every now and again I don't beat myself up anymore. I've also stopped being so rigid about following the programs exactly as they are wrote. I was working through my 2nd round of body beast and I realized I really dislike (and was dreading) the build workouts because they are longer. So I said fuck it and pretty much run bulk all the time now, every 6 weeks or so I may get in a week of build just to switch it up but I don't have that forced feeling of dread when I do.

This is a good approach to take though and I'll try to adopt a similar mindset going forward.

This is kind of where I'm at now. I know Tony says "Do your best and forget the rest" but I still feel bad that I'm not able to do P90X every day (I try though) and when I do I can only do about half of the exercises. Sometimes I feel like "What's the point if you're not going to follow it to a tee?"

I've done it twice and I still can't do a few of the exercises properly. I just assume that they've been at it far longer than me and don't worry about it.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
is the recovery week worth it? Can I sneak in some workouts instead? Because honestly I dont feel like I really went hard during the first phase especially within the first week. I dont feel worn out at all.

is the recovery week worth it? Can I sneak in some workouts instead? Because honestly I dont feel like I really went hard during the first phase especially within the first week. I dont feel worn out at all.

It's not like you're stopping. You're giving your body opportunity to heal and adapt. People are too quick to train like crazy and assume that more = better.

Ixian

It's not like you're stopping. You're giving your body opportunity to heal and adapt. People are too quick to train like crazy and assume that more = better.
Yep. If your goal is to lose weight, I'd say just stick to the recovery week workouts and eat less (but try to keep protein at a good level). No need to overtrain.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Yep. If your goal is to lose weight, I'd say just stick to the recovery week workouts and eat less (but try to keep protein at a good level). No need to overtrain.

see but my goal is to gain weight or at least get toned, doing a bunch of cardio obviously makes me feel lighter. I'm just weary that I will loose the few pounds I have gained during the past 3 weeks and basically relapse

Ixian

see but my goal is to gain weight or at least get toned, doing a bunch of cardio obviously makes me feel lighter. I'm just weary that I will loose the few pounds I have gained during the past 3 weeks and basically relapse
Then eat more to compensate. :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've done it twice and I still can't do a few of the exercises properly. I just assume that they've been at it far longer than me and don't worry about it.

Which ones do you have trouble with? I can't do any of the chair push ups (or squats or whatever) or the oblique v ups.
Among many others.

God Enel

Hey,

thats nice to hear. i want to start T25 alpha next week. My plan was to do T25 early in the morning before work and when I get home to do a P90X3/body beast hybrid.

btw. Stevemeister what is PiYo? any link would be nice.

Which ones do you have trouble with? I can't do any of the chair push ups (or squats or whatever) or the oblique v ups.
Among many others.

Can't do crane. I just can't balance to get it right.
Can't do those spiderman push up things.
Can only do 1 handed push ups on my knees.

There are a couple of others, but they escape me right now.

Ixian

Hey,

thats nice to hear. i want to start T25 alpha next week. My plan was to do T25 early in the morning before work and when I get home to do a P90X3/body beast hybrid.

I picked up my copy at Summit. During the Super Workout on Saturday, Chalene Johnson warmed us up with about 10 minutes or so of Piyo, and it seems pretty good! More dynamic than Yoga or Pilates on their own. It's all bodyweight moves, flexibility & balance, and non-impact & no equipment required other than a mat.

LaneDS, try this link for PiYo. This is for the base kit; there's also a "Strength" package, just click on "Click here to view other PiYo package options" on the linked page. I'm not getting that; it relies on these slider pads and I don't have a smooth surface on which to use them.

Gonna have my Fit Club at work do the first PiYo workout on Friday, so I'll let you all know how it goes!
message is too short blah

LaneDS

Hey thanks for quoting the link! Still haven't bought it. It's a sign!

Going to try core synergistics today instead of doing kenpo I think. I don't remember that workout at all.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Which DVDs are those from? I don't think I've even seen any of them yet.

Ixian

My small but fleeting victory for today: breaking out of the 160 range (158.8 to be exact), which I don't think I've been at since I was a shorter child (albeit a fat one). I say fleeting because I was at a dancing game tournament all day yesterday, and even though I drank a gallon of water while I was there and then some more when I got home, I suspect I was still dehydrated this morning. Still, I weighed in at 160.0 yesterday morning, plus I ate 2000+ calories in one meal when I got home last night so I feel pretty good about it all the same. Onward!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Check the quoted posts above. Since I posted those, I've done the tutorial video, the "Sweat" workout twice and the "Drench" workout once. Basically PiYo is a very dynamic combination of moves from yoga and Pilates, minus the static holds & balance moves from yoga and emphasis on breathing from Pilates.

And it is tough.

There's always someone modifying, but if you do the full moves you'll be doing large numbers of squats, pulse lunges, plank work and triceps (aka military) push-ups. The trainer is Chalene Johnson, and this is the first of her workouts I've done. I'm really looking forward to doing the whole program starting Monday. I'll post my impressions of the other workouts here.

Crane took me a long time, but I'm decent at it now. P90X3 builds on crane with crane cracker push-ups, donkey kicks and the advanced version of Ted's Chair, none of which I can do even after two rounds :)

Just ordered my medicine balls. Still not sure if I'm doing body beast or p90x2, but it can't harm to be ready for either.

Medicine balls are handy to have. Lots of great exercises you can do with them, and they're perfect for P90X3's CVX and some of T25's weighted workouts.

The Body Beast sale is still going on. I haven't heard how long it'll last. Here are the links for reference.

Body Beast base kit. Normally $89.95, on sale for $39.90
Body Beast deluxe kit. Normally $199.95, on sale for $149.90
Body Beast ultimate kit. Normally $254.70, on sale for $199.90
Body Beast "supplements" Challenge Pack. Normally $220, on sale for $170 + $2 shipping.
Body Beast Shakeology Challenge Pack.. Normally $180, on sale for $160.

Top Bottom