• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

so, tomorrow i begin the second half of power 90 :)

i haven't taken a look at the new workouts yet

here's hoping sweat and sculpt part deux are (slightly) longer and more challenging

sp3ctr3

Help me Gaf as I have fucked up.

In june 2013 I completed P90X

My goal was to shed fat and look awesome in a t-shirt. Mission accomplished. I soon after got a new girlfriend, had an awesome summer with lots of beer'n bbq and started a new job with a longer commute.

I started a short dumbbell workout routine and also did stationary bike for cardio (about 30mins a day. But my workouts quickly became irregular to non-existant. The reason was that the new job and commute absolutely killed me. I was beyond exhausted when I got home and had no motivation. It was also more fun spending time with my girlfriend.

I'm now moving in with my girlfriend next week in a house closer to work, so the commute will be shorter and I want to get into a new program. I look horrible (82kg and 23%fat) and my goal again will be to shed fat. I opt not to do P90X again, sorry Tony, as it's too long, especially the Yoga.

I read good stuff about Focus T25. 25mins a day 5 days a week sounds awesome, but is it awesome? It's hard to find reviews by non-beachbody coaches and was wondering if anyone here has done it? Has anyone here posted pictures of the process?

And finally, the motivation. I hope the shorter commute will give me more energy, but what do you guys do for motivation?

LaneDS

My goal was to shed fat and look awesome in a t-shirt. Mission accomplished. I soon after got a new girlfriend, had an awesome summer with lots of beer'n bbq and started a new job with a longer commute.

I started a short dumbbell workout routine and also did stationary bike for cardio (about 30mins a day. But my workouts quickly became irregular to non-existant. The reason was that the new job and commute absolutely killed me. I was beyond exhausted when I got home and had no motivation. It was also more fun spending time with my girlfriend.

I'm now moving in with my girlfriend next week in a house closer to work, so the commute will be shorter and I want to get into a new program. I look horrible (82kg and 23%fat) and my goal again will be to shed fat. I opt not to do P90X again, sorry Tony, as it's too long, especially the Yoga.

I read good stuff about Focus T25. 25mins a day 5 days a week sounds awesome, but is it awesome? It's hard to find reviews by non-beachbody coaches and was wondering if anyone here has done it? Has anyone here posted pictures of the process?

And finally, the motivation. I hope the shorter commute will give me more energy, but what do you guys do for motivation?

Use your own post as motivation. Do you really need more motivation than wanting to look and feel how you want to look and feel, for both yourself and your girlfriend?

I think if you do any of these types of programs and really work at them you'll get positive results. People really like T25, so certainly give that a shot. You're far from the first person who got into a relationship and then got a little more lazy with workouts, so don't beat yourself up too much. Start as soon as you can, and good luck!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

T25 is good, although unless you buy the separate Gamma phase, there isn't a whole lot of resistance training in it. You might consider P90X3 -- it offers the variety of exercises that P90X and P90X2 do, but the workouts are 30 minutes each (plus a short cooldown afterwards). I've done two complete rounds of P90X3 (following the Classic and Doubles schedules) and just this morning started a third round, this time following the Mass schedule).

Pyrokai

Do you guys think doing T25 and P90X3 at the same time is too much? I'm thinking T25 in the morning before work and P90X3 after would be totally doable as long as it's physically possible.

I yearn for more only because I have a crappy desk job.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Do you guys think doing T25 and P90X3 at the same time is too much? I'm thinking T25 in the morning before work and P90X3 after would be totally doable as long as it's physically possible.

I yearn for more only because I have a crappy desk job.

Separated like that, yes, definitely doable. But I wouldn't do it if you hadn't done each individually before.

Ha, I wore myself out so much that I ended up with my face pressed against the floor when doing decline push ups.

Pretty good overall, though the warm-up / cooldown was laughable.

sp3ctr3

Ok, I might go ahead with Focus T25. I saw some dude on youtube say that in the beta phase you can incorporate 20lbs dumbbells? Is that a track you can do in beta phase or is this just something he did himself?

Again with the motivation. In lazy by nature, and when im exhausted after work it takes minimal convincing to just do it tomorrow. Last time I held myself accountable by posting pictures and writing about my progress. But it would be nice just to have something else that really gets you excited for the workout or some way to motivate myself.

The hurdle is getting started. Once I get going it's awesome and I feel really good afterwards. My favorites from P90X were Back and Biceps and Plyo. I liked the fast pace of plyo and hope Focus T25 is like that. I think it's important to find an excersise that's fun.

I think I must be the only person that utterly hated plyo. I wonder if it's because my legs are built for cycling rather than anything else.

LaneDS

Ha, I wore myself out so much that I ended up with my face pressed against the floor when doing decline push ups.

Pretty good overall, though the warm-up / cooldown was laughable.

That's the sign of a quality workout. Kind of love that feeling of being so wiped you just lay there not wanting to move. Will try Body Beast one of these days but I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate the guy that leads it.

Why did you hate plyo? I hate plyo because it's hard as shit for me, but I felt good whenever it was over.

Ok, I might go ahead with Focus T25. I saw some dude on youtube say that in the beta phase you can incorporate 20lbs dumbbells? Is that a track you can do in beta phase or is this just something he did himself?

Again with the motivation. In lazy by nature, and when im exhausted after work it takes minimal convincing to just do it tomorrow. Last time I held myself accountable by posting pictures and writing about my progress. But it would be nice just to have something else that really gets you excited for the workout or some way to motivate myself.

The hurdle is getting started. Once I get going it's awesome and I feel really good afterwards. My favorites from P90X were Back and Biceps and Plyo. I liked the fast pace of plyo and hope Focus T25 is like that. I think it's important to find an excersise that's fun.

There's a workout in P90X3 that is essentially going cardio-esque moves while always using (light) weight... you'd probably really like that too.

For motivation, keep posting in here. Set some goals for yourself, and share them here for accountability purposes.

Arun1910

Never did P90x, P90x3 however, in my 3rd week and it's brilliant. I don't follow the workout schedules exact however.

I normally alternate weight lifting one day, P90x3 another, which is working really well. There are some great cardio/resistance exercises in there!

LaneDS

While I was planning on attempting a seven mile run tonight, I'm instead going to bring plyometrics to my co-workers building that has a yoga room with a DVD player instead. Since I'm at work and can't check, can someone tell me how long that workout is and if you need any gear? I want to say about 50 minutes and no gear aside from maybe a chair, but it's been a very long time since I've tried it. Kind of looking forward to it!

While I was planning on attempting a seven mile run tonight, I'm instead going to bring plyometrics to my co-workers building that has a yoga room with a DVD player instead. Since I'm at work and can't check, can someone tell me how long that workout is and if you need any gear? I want to say about 50 minutes and no gear aside from maybe a chair, but it's been a very long time since I've tried it. Kind of looking forward to it!

Heart rate monitor.
Mat
Stool/chair
Towel/Water

All the cardio and bodyweight work with T25 has definitely been improving my running. I banged out a five miler today without any issues. 9:25 pace (race pace is around 8:30 - a far cry from my 6:00 high school pace, haha) and it felt like I was running a lot easier than that. I'm really liking the increased endurance.

LaneDS

I just don't seem to be built for it. My thighs stop functioning properly about half way in and it's the only routine I've injured myself on, twice.

Yeah my form gets sloppy as shit by the end of plyo. Went over to the co-worker's place where they've got an awesome gym and yoga room and it was perfect for plyo, which was about as hard as I remembered it. Had to stop early on a few moves but felt like I got a good (maybe great) workout in, and we planned to try it again next week so I'll have to fit in distance running on a different day (which, for me, is waaaay easier than plyo).

All the cardio and bodyweight work with T25 has definitely been improving my running. I banged out a five miler today without any issues. 9:25 pace (race pace is around 8:30 - a far cry from my 6:00 high school pace, haha) and it felt like I was running a lot easier than that. I'm really liking the increased endurance.

Speaking of distance running, that's awesome to hear. As someone who is pushing out plodding six mile runs at about 11 minute miles, I hope maybe by year's end to be doing longer distances in the sub 10 minute mile range (even though I can't do a T25/Insanity type program every day for now). Good job!

Ambitious

Short update from me.

I've finally received all necessary P90X equipment. There are not many sports/fitness shops around here, and their ranges are tiny, so I had to order most of it online.
And surprisingly, I might actually be able to install a pull-up bar. Can't yet say for sure (not at home).

As I couldn't wait to finally start working out properly, two days ago I came up with the following mini session:

20 squats
20 push-ups
20 in-and-outs
20sec bicycles
20sec reverse bicycles

I did that three times, with a 2min break between. Sure, it's nothing special, but I need to start somewhere. The last 5 push-ups were incredibly hard. Yesterday, my muscles were pretty sore, but I managed to do the session again. Today, however, I couldn't even do 5 push-ups. Too much pain. I've decided to rest tomorrow as well, so the soreness is hopefully gone on Thursday. That's gonna be my first P90X day, so I want to be in my best condition.

Speaking of soreness: What am I supposed to do during the program when my muscles are that stiff and sore again? Opinions found via Google vary. Some recommend to keep going, as within the first few weeks one's muscles would be permanently sore anyway. Others warn to immediately stop working out as soon as the muscles hurt, in order to letting them regenerate.
Both make sense to me, so I guess I'm indeed going to continue as long as the pain is endurable.

Short update from me.

I've finally received all necessary P90X equipment. There are not many sports/fitness shops around here, and their ranges are tiny, so I had to order most of it online.
And surprisingly, I might actually be able to install a pull-up bar. Can't yet say for sure (not at home).

As I couldn't wait to finally start working out properly, two days ago I came up with the following mini session:

20 squats
20 push-ups
20 in-and-outs
20sec bicycles
20sec reverse bicycles

I did that three times, with a 2min break between. Sure, it's nothing special, but I need to start somewhere. The last 5 push-ups were incredibly hard. Yesterday, my muscles were pretty sore, but I managed to do the session again. Today, however, I couldn't even do 5 push-ups. Too much pain. I've decided to rest tomorrow as well, so the soreness is hopefully gone on Thursday. That's gonna be my first P90X day, so I want to be in my best condition.

Speaking of soreness: What am I supposed to do during the program when my muscles are that stiff and sore again? Opinions found via Google vary. Some recommend to keep going, as within the first few weeks one's muscles would be permanently sore anyway. Others warn to immediately stop working out as soon as the muscles hurt, in order to letting them regenerate.
Both make sense to me, so I guess I'm indeed going to continue as long as the pain is endurable.
do the yoga and stretches and drink your protein and stuff.

desu

Started again with P90X, and Plyometrics is still my favourite workout. Makes sweat like crazy and your legs will get sore really fast but it's just pure fun.

Started again with P90X, and Plyometrics is still my favourite workout. Makes sweat like crazy and your legs will get sore really fast but it's just pure fun.

i'm about to do that today as well. i think i'm good to go even after a year or so off.

my body feels different in a good way with p90x.
Edit. Got my pull up bar. Omg. I'm got to use a chair to pull up lol

Did legs in Body Beast. Wrecked.

I have the strength to do the exercises but they're doing them at a much faster pace than I'm used to. I might need to go lighter than I know I'm capable of.

LaneDS

Think I'm sitting today out. Had unexpected chest tightness at work about two hours ago, went home, drank a lot of water, ate some tums, googled myself into a state of relief and/or worry, took a bath and now it seems to be going away. Hopefully just heartburn (had a lot of caffeine today) but enough where I think it is better to not attempt back & biceps today. Kind of a bummer, but probably better than dying. Probably.

so, day 46 done.

sculpt 3-4 is no joke

i'm winded after that workout

i think people underestimate power 90

they added an extra block of exercises in the second half, which is nice

onto cardio 3-4 and ab ripper x2 in the morning

i also took the time to work on ab ripper x. my form was bad in the past and was wondering why it wasn't effective when i did it. it was due to my lower back staying arched. especially when i do pfieffer scissors and all the hip raise ones. so now with what i know i think i can properly do ab ripper today ;D let's see how well i can do it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
PiYo, after 3 days.

Day one: Align: The Fundamentals
This is a tutorial video. It's pretty slow-paced, but Chalene gets pretty detailed & specific about how to properly do each move, including how to modify it. You'll get a decent workout & introduction out of this, so don't skip it. That said, it's always Day One, so if you're doing a subsequent round I would skip it.

Day two: Define: Lower Body
This is a short workout, about 25 minutes. It consists of a lot of Warrior stances, squats, and some plank work. The hardest part is towards the end, where you're holding leg raises from down dog pretty much forever.

Day three: Define: Upper Body
One thing about PiYo, you do a *lot* of triceps (aka military) push-ups. Chalene expects everyone to do them -- modifiers on their knees with less range of motion, but she also encourages modifiers to attempt to progress by increasing range and doing more & more on your toes. This workout also includes a number of core exercises. Define: Upper Body is also short, roughly 25 minutes. Unfortunately my DVD appears to be defective and it kept halting/skipping in the last 7-8 minutes, so I didn't get the whole workout in. Contacted Beachbody this morning and they've already got a replacement disk on its way.

In my Fit Club at work, I've also done the "Sweat" and "Drench" workouts. These are longer, around 45 minutes or so each. They're great workouts, definitely tough.

So far at least (and bearing in mind I also started P90X3 Mass on Monday, so I'm doing PiYo immediately following each X3 workout), I'm definitely feeling a lot more "work" happening particularly in my lower half & core. It's good stuff.

LaneDS

So probably worth the $60, you think? Still haven't pulled the trigger on that one.

Steve, is there a link I should use if I'm going to buy Beachbody stuff that gets you some sort of credit? I'm going to gift the program to some family members and figured I'd ask before buying it.

Unrelated to all of that, my chest tightness went from about 6 pm last night until sometime this morning. Ended up going to a doctor and getting an EKG done and they said I seem fine, so that was... kind of weird and scary. Going to resume tonight with back & biceps and hope for the best (will be very bummed if some stupid health issue takes me out of the program).

Korosenai

Just bought P90X for Xbox Fitness. I'll post results in here as I do it.

Looks like the only things you need are dumbbells and resistance bands.

Did shoulders and arms. Think I'll add 25 pounds for some. 12 pounds for the rest. Even with 12 pounds the seated shoulder fly is hard for me. But I'll get better.

LaneDS

Did shoulders and arms. Think I'll add 25 pounds for some. 12 pounds for the rest. Even with 12 pounds the seated shoulder fly is hard for me. But I'll get better.

That move is definitely tough. I think I was maybe getting by with 10 lb per side when I tried it last, possibly less.

After my odd health scare yesterday I made it through back & biceps tonight with no fatalities, so that's a plus. Upped weight in probably half of the moves and was content with the effort put in. Glad tomorrow is a yoga day, because I think my body needs it.

That move is definitely tough. I think I was maybe getting by with 10 lb per side when I tried it last, possibly less.

After my odd health scare yesterday I made it through back & biceps tonight with no fatalities, so that's a plus. Upped weight in probably half of the moves and was content with the effort put in. Glad tomorrow is a yoga day, because I think my body needs it.
I can't weight for yoga too lol. My body is aching for it

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So probably worth the $60, you think? Still haven't pulled the trigger on that one.

Steve, is there a link I should use if I'm going to buy Beachbody stuff that gets you some sort of credit? I'm going to gift the program to some family members and figured I'd ask before buying it.

Unrelated to all of that, my chest tightness went from about 6 pm last night until sometime this morning. Ended up going to a doctor and getting an EKG done and they said I seem fine, so that was... kind of weird and scary. Going to resume tonight with back & biceps and hope for the best (will be very bummed if some stupid health issue takes me out of the program).

It probably was heartburn. But it's good that you had it checked!

I get credit for purchases if you have signed up to teambeachbody.com with me as your coach and buy from the online store there. Signing up doesn't cost anything (they'll offer Club membership but that's not required).

Here's the link, just click on Join. Once you've done that, sign on, go to Shop, and you'll be all set!

Top Bottom