• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

That sucks I was just worried about that..."hmm fuk if one of the discs go out"

I do love X3's total synergistic, CVX, accelerator, isometrics, and the eccentrics. Yoga needs to be just a bit longer

How is the upper body focus on Insanity Max?

When I did insanity twice in a row, my lower body was nice and big but my upper body looked like a distance runner. I hated that about insanity.

How is the upper body focus on Insanity Max?

When I did insanity twice in a row, my lower body was nice and big but my upper body looked like a distance runner. I hated that about insanity.

It's ok in my opinion. It's all body weight interval based that's meant to Max out your reps. I'm only in month 1, and so far the upper body targets chest (push ups), triceps, and very little back. My suspicion is you will end up like a distant runner anyway since it's really endurance based.

Tash

After 5 weeks with Insanity Max 30 I am now convinced that is the most efficient program Beachbody has ever put out. Don't get me wrong. I think the original P90X is still the best when it comes to overall Fitness and how to ease people into a full fledge on fitness program and it's the most well rounded program still (even though a bit old school). Not everyone has that time (sadly, that is true for me too nowadays).

Shaun T's newest is just absolutely amazing in terms of effectiveness for the time you put in, hands down the best thing. Definitely the best of the new, shorter programs.

After 5 weeks with Insanity Max 30 I am now convinced that is the most efficient program Beachbody has ever put out. Don't get me wrong. I think the original P90X is still the best when it comes to overall Fitness and how to ease people into a full fledge on fitness program and it's the most well rounded program still (even though a bit old school). Not everyone has that time (sadly, that is true for me too nowadays).

Shaun T's newest is just absolutely amazing in terms of effectiveness for the time you put in, hands down the best thing. Definitely the best of the new, shorter programs.

That's what I love to hear! Gonna start week 2...Hope to throw in that ab attack too!!!

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I forgot to work out last nigh, got caught up playing Rocksmith. I think it was just Kenpo though, so it's no big deal as I've decided I'll be skipping that boxercise mess from now on. I think I'll be replacing it with a bike ride each week, 'cause I really need the extra cardio.

O.DOGG

That sounds awesome. I'm one week into Body Beast but I'll definitely consider Insanity Max after I'm done with it.

I don't think I'd ever do one of the more cardio focussed routines again. They're great for utterly wrecking you, but body beast did far more for how I actually look.

But I guess if you're carrying muscle already and want to cut then they're not bad.

I don't think I'd ever do one of the more cardio focussed routines again. They're great for utterly wrecking you, but body beast did far more for how I actually look.

But I guess if you're carrying muscle already and want to cut then they're not bad.

I hear ya. I'm the opposite now because my life literally doesn't allow for one hour workout anymore. And with the exception of pull ups x3 just doesn't give me the same burn.

Rest

I posted this in a couple other places, but I thought I'd ask here as well to get some more eyes on it and get more opinions:
I've found that the dumbbells I bought have handles that are too small around; they slip in my hands, but then the knurling catches my skin and irritates it, which is leading to some large, stiff, inconveniently placed calluses. I'd like to find something to expand the handles, preferably something that would be non slip and create some level of padding. Is there a product for this?

I was thinking of getting some handlebar tape from a bike shop for this purpose, but that stuff isn't really cheap, and I don't know how long it would last for this purpose.

Bollocks

is there a preferred insanity/body beast hybrid?

current plan is to do insanity to get back in shape and then do body beast to put more definition on.
while insanity is great I always found it lacking in the upper body department so I want to tackle that this time around.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Starting P90X again tonight. I think I'm going to alter the plan a bit and take out yoga, make it a 5 day plan, then try to get yoga in on Saturdays with P90X3 yoga since it's shorter.

God Enel

has any1 problems doing bound dog leg lift in isometrix (p90x3) im in my second round of p90x3 doubles and still cannot get this shit done properly. thats the only move i do not have the balance to get it straight. everything else is just fine.

Tash

That sounds awesome. I'm one week into Body Beast but I'll definitely consider Insanity Max after I'm done with it.

I guess that's a better way of going about it. I am doing it the other way round. Building Cardio first then most probably going to get Body Beast to add strength and definition :)

Depends on your goals: For me it's the fact that I am planning on running "Toughest" in Oslo in Autumn. So my Cardio needs to be up there and then I'll add strength on top of that. Well that's the plan, anyway..

Sigh,
I've just started the 5th week of T25 Alpha and I've only lost like 2 pounds since I began.
And I've been pretty much eating less that 1600 carbs almost every day.

Depends on your goals: For me it's the fact that I am planning on running "Toughest" in Oslo in Autumn. So my Cardio needs to be up there and then I'll add strength on top of that. Well that's the plan, anyway..
I do two a day training (with weights, then turbo trainer work), so my endurance is covered. I don't really do the beach body stuff any more, but I've stolen most of their best bits for my own plan.

Hey guys I'm a skinny, scrawny(64.5kg/178cm) guy who started going to the gym some three months ago. I've gained a couple hundred grams since I started and generally I feel much lighter and better. Gains are visible but not massive yet.
I have a question though: since a few weeks ago I stopped using machines almost entirely, because I noticed that I could lift much more than my muscles allowed me. It felt wrong. So now I'm using "free" weights and it's like starting from scratch and it actually feels like I'm getting better results. Am I doing it right?

Edit: grams*, I wish they were grands though:p

Tash

Sigh,
I've just started the 5th week of T25 Alpha and I've only lost like 2 pounds since I began.
And I've been pretty much eating less that 1600 carbs almost every day.

Do your cloths fit differently?
a) You might need to eat more to lose more (if you actually have more to lose)
b) you gained muscles which are generally denser than fat tissue and those, while using up less space, "weigh" actually more.
c) forget scales..seriously. They are the bane of working out..

sigh got tendinitis in my forearms from too many pullups.

No pain when doing chin ups but hurts like hell during pullups. Will need to use different grips (hammer maybe?) to finish out the elite workouts on X3.

Do your cloths fit differently?
a) You might need to eat more to lose more (if you actually have more to lose)
b) you gained muscles which are generally denser than fat tissue and those, while using up less space, "weigh" actually more.
c) forget scales..seriously. They are the bane of working out..

I think my clothes fit the same.

You're right about that I shouldn't worry about scales. I've got one of those scales that get your fat and muscle %, and it seems you're right. Last week I lost 4% of fat and gained some muscle mass. I have no idea how accurate this thing is though.

I'm not that fat but I've got a distended gut, maybe more ab work will help me loose some inches.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I think my clothes fit the same.

You're right about that I shouldn't worry about scales. I've got one of those scales that get your fat and muscle %, and it seems you're right. Last week I lost 4% of fat and gained some muscle mass. I have no idea how accurate this thing is though.

I'm not that fat but I've got a distended gut, maybe more ab work will help me loose some inches.

Body Fat % scales are generally not very accurate, but they can at least give you an indication of trends. You just need to make sure you use it under the same circumstances all the time, for example if you measure right after a workout but before a shower and you haven't eaten in 3 hours, make sure you match those conditions every time you measure.

As far as ab work goes -- abs are made in the kitchen. Exercising your core is great and will build the muscles, but if there's fat over them, ab work won't do anything to get rid of the fat. It's the hardest part, to be honest, and a battle I'm still fighting 3 years into these workouts. I can do most of the Beachbody ab workouts pretty well -- my core is fairly strong -- but I've still got more fat around my midsection than I'm happy with.

I'm thinking of either doing Insanity Max 30 or 21 Day Fix + 21 Day Fix Extreme after I finish Les Mills Pump, and actually following the meal plans. The cool thing about these three programs is that they come with color-coded plastic containers of different sizes, helping you take the guesswork out of portion sizes for various macronutrient/food types (carbs, protein, vegetables, fruit, starches, etc). Maybe that'll finally get me past this particular plateau.

Rest

Chest and back last night was good. I ran out of energy for he last three sets of pushups though. I'd set up and then fall when descending, even after long breaks and some stretching. For the exercises with weights, I increased my weights for almost every exercise. I'm going to need at least three more pairs of dumbbells soon. I got a stronger band for my simulated pull ups, and I finally feel like I'm getting a good workout for my back. Is there a good way to tell when it's time to change over to actual pull ups?

I got about half way through Ab Ripper, but considering I hadn't been able to do it at all since I was sick I'm pleased with that result.

If you're lifting yourself off the ground even slightly on your band pulldowns then it's time to change in my opinion, even if you've got to use a pull-up assist to help you. I wasted a long time thinking they'd be good enough to help me get over that final hump and stalled the shit out of my progress.

For Max30...I did Friday night round the other day...Shaun T doesn't mess around...the workout is basically the greatest hit of all the weeks workout in one and with shorter breaks. Love it but goddamn

Rest

If you're lifting yourself off the ground even slightly on your band pulldowns then it's time to change in my opinion, even if you've got to use a pull-up assist to help you. I wasted a long time thinking they'd be good enough to help me get over that final hump and stalled the shit out of my progress.
I've been using the form where you kneel and lean forward, there's not lifting at all, but I have noticed that sometimes my posture changes as I pull. I don't think I'm at the point yet that I could do a pull up, but I'm just thinking of the future.

You'll definitely notice as it starts to happen. I guess the other alternative is continue to use the bands, but when you're using enough tension to pull yourself out of position, drop the tension back a touch and increase the reps. But that will only work up to a point.

Rest

Doing Plyometrics last night I heard a cracking in my knee while doing the warmup squats. No pain or discomfort, but when I was done I was aware of the knee due to a mild sensation. I'm resting it today, and I'm going to see how it does in karate tomorrow.

Tried a couple of the X3 workouts for the hell of it tonight. I'm surprised that they've been so quick to dump the foam rollers after Tony was raving so much about them in X2.

I also notice (now from experience) that neither of the two recommended "rest day" workouts are particularly restful. Parts of Isometrix were flat out hard, and even Dynamix got me sweating fairly heavily. My tight muscles didn't really feel any better afterwards either, which was a shame.

Haven't tried Yoga yet, so can't directly compare it to what's in the other two. Not that Yoga was ever much good for "relaxing" with.

demand is in beta. i don't have a paid club so i can't try (it's temp unvailable for me to upgrade)

https://club.teambeachbody.com/login/?redirect=/&error=1&login-error=account_upgrade_required

EDIT: nevermind. site was just being finnicky. just signed up. lol. hope they have roku channel though. but i'll use laptop i guess.

awesome.

NEW BENEFIT FOR
CLUB MEMBERS
Coming soon, you'll be able to stream the programs you've purchased on DVD - starting with FOCUS T25®, 21 DAY FIX®, and 21 DAY FIX EXTREME® - at no additional charge!

so they have full programs of the following

Insanity
Turbo Fire
Brazil Butt Lift
P90x3
P90x2
P90x
ChaLEAN Extreme
Hip Hop Abs
10 Minute Trainer
P90x One on One
Insanity The Asylum

There's some sample from 21 day fix/extreme, T25, Piyo and more.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Yep, On Demand is up. Played around with it a bit this morning, seems to work really well on my iPhone (they have mobile versions of the pages too, so no app required).

If you want to sign up with me as your coach, Click here. I think it's a pretty amazing deal.

You also get full access to the meal plans, which is great as those have never legitimately been online before. And they mention that "soon" if you buy DVDs of programs, you'll also get streaming access to them.

Yep, On Demand is up. Played around with it a bit this morning, seems to work really well on my iPhone (they have mobile versions of the pages too, so no app required).

If you want to sign up with me as your coach, Click here. I think it's a pretty amazing deal.

You also get full access to the meal plans, which is great as those have never legitimately been online before. And they mention that "soon" if you buy DVDs of programs, you'll also get streaming access to them.

i should have waited before i signed up to refer you.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
By the way, there's another advantage to Club membership besides getting access to the streaming workouts -- you get a 10% discount on everything they sell on the website. Workout programs, equipment, supplements including Shakeology, clothing, etc. That's always been the case, now it's icing on the streaming workout cake :)

I did Tabata Strength last night in max 30. 20 secs of workout, 10 secs to jog it off, rinse and repeat with no breaks. Toward the middle I had to stop so many times, that was fun. And the number and variation of squats is just hard.

And.....at the end there were still one guy in the Dvd that said he didn't Max out. Fuck u.

By the way, there's another advantage to Club membership besides getting access to the streaming workouts -- you get a 10% discount on everything they sell on the website. Workout programs, equipment, supplements including Shakeology, clothing, etc. That's always been the case, now it's icing on the streaming workout cake :)

lol yeah.

also i didn't know TBB.com sorta has a meal wizard planner. only if the site actually worked would be great.

Rest

Yoga last night. I focused more on form and it was much, much harder to do some poses. There was a lot more sweat and I was very tired afterward.

How does 21 Day Fix measure to Insanity? Girlfriend wants to work out at home to shred a couple of pounds. She thought Insanity was just a bit too intense for her so I told her to do 21 day fix.

Wondering how well the program is? Might do 21 Day Fix Extreme myself to get back into this and then go back to Insanity after or maybe try out P90.

How does 21 Day Fix measure to Insanity? Girlfriend wants to work out at home to shred a couple of pounds. She thought Insanity was just a bit too intense for her so I told her to do 21 day fix.

Wondering how well the program is? Might do 21 Day Fix Extreme myself to get back into this and then go back to Insanity after or maybe try out P90.

looks like insanity but with breaks after each move. not saying its easy but she should give it a go. my bro got it. for his stat and the lack of exercising i think it's very much doable (y)

Pyrokai

So two days ago, I told myself I was going to start Body Beast today. But my sister got Insanity Max 30 so I decided to try that out. Just a couple workouts before I did Body Beast. My plan was to do Body Beast (3 months) and then Max 30 (2 months).

Well....that didn't work out because I'm totally in love with Max 30. It is so. effing. hard. It's become a personal goal of mine to see this through now. It's only 2 months long, so I don't have much of a problem doing it before I do Body Beast. Besides, I want to GAIN on Body Beast but I'm already not fitting into some of my jeans, lol. Might as well trim some of the fat off so I can fit in them again, THEN gain for 3 months (but hopefully it's all muscle and not fat in the hip region, lol).

We'll see how this goes. It's literally reverse from what I was planning but it MIGHT be for the better with the off-chance it's for the worse :p

Regardless, Max 30 is the real deal. Does anyone else agree it might be the hardest program they've done so far? I'm only on Day 3 and I barely made it through Sweat Intervals....

LaneDS

Really looking forward to Max 30 later in the year after hearing so many positive impressions like the one just posted above. Hoping to buy a home before year's end and one of the big things I'm looking for is a nice ground level (or basement) area to be able to do all the cardio workouts I've had to largely skip the last couple years.

Just finished week 9 and have been steadily getting 4-5 workouts in every week and still meeting or upping my numbers where and when I can... much stronger. Not much lighter, but already noticing I can wear some clothes that at the start of the year were entirely too tight. Going to try some X2 workouts around week 15 to see how those go (been over two years since I've attempted any X2 aside from yoga, so that'll be interesting).

Top Bottom