• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Wellscha

P90X3 update:

I CAN NOW DO MILITARY PUSH UPS, BEACH BUDS!!!! :D

Update number 2: After pushing myself to the limit in eccentric upper, I've completely lost my appetite, I've been force feeding myself the last several days, and I could barely reach 2200 calories. (my goal is 2900 calories) P90X3 at work, buds! :)

LaneDS

P90X3 update:

Update number 2: After pushing myself to the limit in eccentric upper, I've completely lost my appetite, I've been force feeding myself the last several days, and I could barely reach 2200 calories. (my goal is 2900 calories) P90X3 at work, buds! :)

Hah, you went from not doing any pushups to doing quite possibly the hardest ones. Awesome progress! Keep at it!

Nice one.

...and if you're eating clean, the food thing isn't uncommon. It's actually surprising how much non shit food you have to eat to hit your targets.

LaneDS

On week five of this round and I'm still in the "my body needs to eat all the things" phase of lifting a lot. Hungry most of the day even right after I eat sometimes. Kind of horrible, kind of great.

LaneDS

You've got much better willpower than I... everytime I look at IF I feel deep down I wouldn't be able to do it. Seems like the results are great if you can though.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Today was Day 45 of Les Mills Pump, and the intro of a new workout:

Pump Revolution

This workout is over an hour long. It's similar to Pump & Shred, but adds new tracks for biceps and triceps, and in general the other tracks are tougher. The trainers point out several times that there are over 800 reps in the workout. Even the warmup is tougher -- it's longer and has more moves. It's definitely one where you want to back off slightly on the weights as compared to the shorter workouts.

The lunge track was still a killer for me. It's where I need the most work, though I'm pretty good at squats. The new tracks, triceps and biceps, were good. Triceps alternated between skullcrushers and triceps bench presses (bench press above the bottom of your rib cage, instead of above your shoulders). Biceps was just curls. As usual all moves are done at multiple tempos (4/4, 3/1, 2/2, "singles", bottom(or top) halfs).

The abs track was probably the easiest. It was just weighted crunches & single or double leg extensions, followed by a low plank section that was "rock forward, rock backward, hold".

A really tough, intense and long workout!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
You ever consider dumping all the cardio and just lifting heavy for a while Steve?

There's actually no cardio in LMP (at least not that I've seen in the standard schedule). It's all lifting & core work. Lighter weights than 1RM but many many reps. They actually have "walk 45/60 minutes" in the schedule :) There are separate core & yoga workouts. You're pretty much working your core every day, since most of the primary workouts include a core section as well.

I have thought about doing heavy lifts but I'd need a power cage, bar & plates to do it properly and safely.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
P90X3 update:

Awesome, keep it up!

I have thought about doing heavy lifts but I'd need a power cage, bar & plates to do it properly and safely.

Yeah, that's the main negative of it. With regard to reps, even body beast seems a bit rep heavy. Seems Beachbody are obsessed with getting a minimum of 12 reps out on every move. :)

my balance is off for some reason. anyone else? like standing on the right foot it's fine but now when i stand on left i lean more to that side. can't get balanced.

so any move in p90x/3 or whatever i can't do.

Wellscha

Hah, you went from not doing any pushups to doing quite possibly the hardest ones. Awesome progress! Keep at it!

Nice one.

...and if you're eating clean, the food thing isn't uncommon. It's actually surprising how much non shit food you have to eat to hit your targets.

Awesome, keep it up!

Love you beach buds <3 <3. Anyone know where I could get brown rice in bulk for cheap? the only wholesale store in town is a Sam's club, and they don't have brown rice. :(

my balance is off for some reason. anyone else? like standing on the right foot it's fine but now when i stand on left i lean more to that side. can't get balanced.

Practice boxing with your left foot forward. Your left side become useful all of a sudden.

amar212

Hey BodyGAF, I have a question, thank you in advance:

Anyone familiar with the WaterRover?

I am planning buying an WaterRover A1 Home Edition for regular cardio and fitting.

Any opinions on that or recommendations?

Thank you in advance!

I'm the same way, though it's my right foot that gives me trouble. I just make sure to be near something where I can catch myself when doing balancing stuff.

Practice boxing with your left foot forward. Your left side become useful all of a sudden.

hm. what about Kenpo from p90x? lol.

I'm the same way, though it's my right foot that gives me trouble. I just make sure to be near something where I can catch myself when doing balancing stuff.
it's weird. i was fine way before this. even when i was bigger my balance wasn't this bad lol.

Been following this thread for a long time so I figured it's' time to chime in.

Started t25 in May last year but got sidetracked at the end of alpha phase and never got back into it.

Right after Christmas I weighed the heaviest I have ever been at 220lbs at 5'8 and decided to get serious this time about getting healthy.

A good friend of mine who is extremely fit urged me to become as strong as I can and eat well and the weight will take care of itself. So I have been doing P90x3 mass schedule to get strong and have been following a low to moderate carbohydrate diet and the results have been fantastic.

I am nearly complete with week one of phase 2 mass schhedule and have lost 20 lbs while making significant strength gains and toning up considerably!!

Just wanted to tell everyone thanks who posted in this thread. It has kept me motivated and encouraged when I wanted to give up or skip a day. As Tony says just push play!!

25 lbs to go for my goal weight of 175 and I did two unassisted pull ups for the first time tonight! Absolutely love this program!!

it's weird. i was fine way before this. even when i was bigger my balance wasn't this bad lol.
Haha, same here. I've never thought I had bad balance, but even before I get tired I'm struggling to stay upright.

Started t25 in May last year but got sidetracked at the end of alpha phase and never got back into it.

Right after Christmas I weighed the heaviest I have ever been at 220lbs at 5'8 and decided to get serious this time about getting healthy.

A good friend of mine who is extremely fit urged me to become as strong as I can and eat well and the weight will take care of itself. So I have been doing P90x3 mass schedule to get strong and have been following a low to moderate carbohydrate diet and the results have been fantastic.

I am nearly complete with week one of phase 2 mass schhedule and have lost 20 lbs while making significant strength gains and toning up considerably!!

Just wanted to tell everyone thanks who posted in this thread. It has kept me motivated and encouraged when I wanted to give up or skip a day. As Tony says just push play!!

25 lbs to go for my goal weight of 175 and I did two unassisted pull ups for the first time tonight! Absolutely love this program!!
That's awesome man! I started posting here so there was some sort of accountability for my workout, so I'm glad you're getting a similar benefit from this thread. Glad to hear a success story regarding P90x3; I'm still eager to see if it'll work for me.

LaneDS

Cheers! Thanks to you as well, reading stuff like this undoubtedly helps inspire others. Sounds like you're on the right path.

Got my third workout in this week (starting from Monday) and am aiming to do yoga tomorrow and my nemesis legs & back on Saturday to finish out week 5. Looking and feeling much stronger already (but still plenty flabby). Current goal: 52 weeks hitting at bare minimum three days a week working out (ideally four or five). Have challenged my family to do the same, just not with P90X workouts. Accountability all around!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Overdid things a little yesterday :)

Les Mills Pump Revolution, tough long intense workout in the morning.
Focus T25 Gamma: Speed 3.0 at lunch with my Fit Club at work.
15 minutes of Bukido sparring followed by a 45 minute class.

I'm glad I just had Hard Core Abs this morning. Feeling yesterday all over :)

Anyone have any good post-workout meal suggestions? I'm still getting in the swing of my new eating habits and want try and diversify how I refuel. As of now, I usually do a protein shake, along with whatever carbs I have around. I need better planning!

O.DOGG

Last week I finished Beta phase of T25. Well, almost finished because I aggravated an old lower back injury during the third-to-last workout, and decided to gave it a rest until the end of the week to recover - it seems to be fine now. Anyway, I figured all this jumping is perhaps not the best for my back and decided to switch things a little.

So this week I've been doing P90X3 which I've never done before but I hear good things about. First impressions are great, I enjoy the production, and it's kind of fun to hear Tony's stupid jokes again. But man, these exercises are so damn awkward. I spent most of my time trying to figure out how to do the moves instead of actually doing them and enjoying their effects. Not sure this is the program for someone as uncoordinated as I am. I think I'll go back to Body Beast which I last did in 2013 with great results.

Last week I finished Beta phase of T25. Well, almost finished because I aggravated an old lower back injury during the third-to-last workout, and decided to gave it a rest until the end of the week to recover - it seems to be fine now. Anyway, I figured all this jumping is perhaps not the best for my back and decided to switch things a little.

So this week I've been doing P90X3 which I've never done before but I hear good things about. First impressions are great, I enjoy the production, and it's kind of fun to hear Tony's stupid jokes again. But man, these exercises are so damn awkward. I spent most of my time trying to figure out how to do the moves instead of actually doing them and enjoying their effects. Not sure this is the program for someone as uncoordinated as I am. I think I'll go back to Body Beast which I last did in 2013 with great results.
Haha, was just having this problem with Total Synergistics today. I'd say stick with it, as I'm definitely better than I was last week, but yeah, some of those are super hard for my brain to comprehend. The move where you are in push-up position and you have to move your knee and elbow together? For some reason I just can't get my body to do it.

i think most of the moves are just from previous workouts. but there are some movies where you have to go under your leg or some shit or some awkward yoga moves where you do a standing split or something lol. but yeah.

Tash

Oh my freaking god...we are in month two and today is day three. I gotta say it again: I am so proud of my boyfriend to do this with me. He is Way over 160 lbs but he pushes as good as he can and he also improved a lot by not having to do the modifier moves all through.

Max Out Cardio is probably the craziest thing I've seen from Beachbody so far. I also have to repeat myself again when I say that I love the approach of forcing you to do the moves with proper form. I am not 100% sure WHAT it is but ever since I started doing Insanity Max 30 I am understanding what I did, and sometimes still do, wrong form wise before (during P90X but also especially during Insanity). The combination of movement you do in Insanity Max 30 is an evolution from the original Insanity and while you would do Switch kicks in Insanity I might cheat with leaning back and rounding my back or do other form mistakes that would not engage my lower core and obliques. Now, you do them with punching and you hop from side to side WHILE punching too. Just those punches basically force you to keep your whole core tight and you can't really compensate with any other muscle group because you do need all of them to actually do the moves (if that makes any sense).

I think this concept alone is why I am totally in love with Shaun's newest program. I all of a sudden feel how I am supposed to do lunges (again - because you do switch lunges with punches, which in turn forces you to keep your body up and your core and butt engaged). I am just totally over the moon how I got better at exercises I always had troubles with.

I still give up too early I think..sometimes it's the cardio that makes me stop and sometimes it's my muscles giving out (mostly the legs, I REALLY love how there is a lot of focus on big muscle groups) but I am still trying my best and am already really looking forward to add another round after I am done with this one!

Curious as to what others think :)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Sounds great Tash!
I had to insert a break into my Pump schedule -- after Subday's workout my back was hurting, so starting today I'm taking 3 days off. Back is already better, but that's one thing I don't want to push it with.

Tash

Sounds great Tash!
I had to insert a break into my Pump schedule -- after Subday's workout my back was hurting, so starting today I'm taking 3 days off. Back is already better, but that's one thing I don't want to push it with.

Insanity Max 30 actually made me want to go see a Naprapath (is that the English term?) (got my first appointment tomorrow). I still get slight knee pain which I am sure is due to all the lunges and squats and my leg muscles being out of balance (thus pulling the kneecap slightly out of position).

I am always getting slight lower back pain while doing Jumping exercises (ie Insanity and Max 30)

My squatting has gotten so much better but I am now also pretty sure that I am having an anterior pelvis tilt (the whole cue with pressing your lower back into the floor for core exercises thing made me realize that I have a constant curve in my lower back and have to really make an effort to keep it down). So I am going to have that checked out as well.

So thanks Shaun :D

Sincerely hope you can get rid of the back pain Steve.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Being sick for two weeks really killed my ability to work out. I did Shoulders & Arms yesterday, and had to lighten the weights I used for about half the exercises. Last time I did Congdon curls with 20 lbs and notated that I felt it was too light, this time by the time I got that far I couldn't even lift the 20 lb weight with my left arm.

Ab Ripper also did not go well, I didn't get all the way through the 5th exercise and I was at failure. I took a break, tried again and still failed. Took a longer break, tried again, failed again, and went through that cycle one more time before I realized I had to call it quits.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
It's weird how I manage every workout in the P90X/Body Beast programs without struggling too much (unless they involve some crazy balancing move), except Beast Cardio in Body Beast. I don't know what it is, but around halfway through the workout, the plyo push-ups part, I have to get down on my knees to finish. And really have to fight to keep up with some of the other moves.
Maybe it's because of the added dumbbells on many of the moves, or that I'm not doing a lot of cardio on a Body Beast focused schedule or something. It's starting to annoy me, I think I'll make it a new goal of mine, get through Beast Cardio without falling apart. lol

Did complex lower and it was much more manageable. Was dead by the end but kept pace with the crew without sacrificing form or lowering weight.

All 3 of the elite workouts are great and truly a step above the other p90x3 workouts in terms of intensity and difficult. Highly recommended if you like pushing your self.

I have the P90x3 ab ripper video but i've still been doing the P90x1 ab ripper video just because i hesitate to make changes sometimes hah. However, i keep finding that Ab Ripper 1 tends to tweak the living hell out of my back.

Is Ab Ripper 3 better about not making me a walking stiff for a couple of days in that regards? I want to keep doing abs on some days where the burn might not be as intense (like during x3 yoga days) but i can't keep doing Ab Ripper 1 since clearly it disagrees with my back.

Tash

I have the P90x3 ab ripper video but i've still been doing the P90x1 ab ripper video just because i hesitate to make changes sometimes hah. However, i keep finding that Ab Ripper 1 tends to tweak the living hell out of my back.

Is Ab Ripper 3 better about not making me a walking stiff for a couple of days in that regards? I want to keep doing abs on some days where the burn might not be as intense (like during x3 yoga days) but i can't keep doing Ab Ripper 1 since clearly it disagrees with my back.

Disagrees as in pain or disagrees as in it's difficult?
In the first case you might do the workouts wrong and should really be careful about that. There should absolutely not be any pain. You most probably have some imbalance somewhere and then compensate with parts that shouldn't be working those muscles in certain exercises.

If you are just really sore, well then you need to keep working those exercises and it sounds like the original ab ripper is targeting the areas you need :)

The original ab ripper is kinda old school anyways. If I look at the Insanity Max 30 ab workouts, I like them MUCH better because they do use your whole core and not just certain parts. So if it's really pain then I would stick with the x3 versions.

Ab Ripper X always felt more like a thigh exercise session to me.

yeah, exactly my point: it's easy to do the exercise wrong and also it does target specific areas of your core instead of working on the core as a whole (which is much better and healthier). A lot of people have weak lower abs because they compensate with their upper abs during exercises. You would however never really notice that unless you actually do ab work with your back pressing down into the floor (lower back, that is).

Disagrees as in pain or disagrees as in it's difficult?
In the first case you might do the workouts wrong and should really be careful about that. There should absolutely not be any pain. You most probably have some imbalance somewhere and then compensate with parts that shouldn't be working those muscles in certain exercises.

If you are just really sore, well then you need to keep working those exercises and it sounds like the original ab ripper is targeting the areas you need :)

The original ab ripper is kinda old school anyways. If I look at the Insanity Max 30 ab workouts, I like them MUCH better because they do use your whole core and not just certain parts. So if it's really pain then I would stick with the x3 versions.

yeah, exactly my point: it's easy to do the exercise wrong and also it does target specific areas of your core instead of working on the core as a whole (which is much better and healthier). A lot of people have weak lower abs because they compensate with their upper abs during exercises. You would however never really notice that unless you actually do ab work with your back pressing down into the floor (lower back, that is).
Pain as in that my back gets tweaked pretty bad at times, forcing me to lay off heavy exertion for days after. i guess i'll try p90x3 ab ripper to see if it's any better.

I actually just came in here to post about Ab Ripper. Was curious, for someone who's still getting the swing of things, but really wants to focus on toning my abs, would I add the original Ab Ripper X to my P90X3 routine? And, if so, how many times a week? I'm still struggling with base routine a bit, so I'm not sure if I should just focus on that for now, but I also wouldn't mind getting some noticeable gain in my abs sooner rather than later.

Pain as in that my back gets tweaked pretty bad at times, forcing me to lay off heavy exertion for days after. i guess i'll try p90x3 ab ripper to see if it's any better.
From what I've heard, X3 is only hard than the original. But I haven't heard anyone mentioning back issues from it, just really sore abdominals.

I need to break out the AB Ripper X3 from Complex upper.

Doing it right after CU is a nightmare and my body is too burnt out to hold myself up in planks and such.

Going to do AB X3 in the AM and then complex upper at night the next 2 weeks.

For the record, I have had no back pain from AB X3. It really does isolate the abs.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Which moves in particular cause that? You can always skip those.

Les Mills Pump is interesting in that you specifically work your core almost every day. All of the longer lifting workouts include a core track, and the Hard Core Abs routine is usually done on "off" days, either in isolation or along with their yoga routine or a long walk.

Speaking of backs, mine is feeling better so I'm resuming my schedule this morning. Another new 60 minute plus workout, Pump Extreme. I'm going to do it with lighter weights though, at least on the squat and legs/back tracks.

And speaking of Les Mills, apparently they are parting ways with Beachbody. If you're interested in Pump or Combat, get them soon because they're selling off stock and neither will be available any longer one they're sold out.

I need to break out the AB Ripper X3 from Complex upper.

Doing it right after CU is a nightmare and my body is too burnt out to hold myself up in planks and such.

Going to do AB X3 in the AM and then complex upper at night the next 2 weeks.

For the record, I have had no back pain from AB X3. It really does isolate the abs.

Happy to hear that the complex workouts are good stuff...I did X1 and x2 and I just haven't found X3 to be engaging and compelling. There are some good stuff in x3 but I have been thinking that for the resistance workouts 30 mins is really short in general. So good stuff on the complex

On the other hand, I have been finding Max 30 to be perfect for the 30-min format.

Happy to hear that the complex workouts are good stuff...I did X1 and x2 and I just haven't found X3 to be engaging and compelling. There are some good stuff in x3 but I have been thinking that for the resistance workouts 30 mins is really short in general. So good stuff on the complex

On the other hand, I have been finding Max 30 to be perfect for the 30-min format.

I plan to do Max 30 once BeachBody does their subscription stuff.

The DVD's are really cheap quality. My insanity and p90x3 dvd's already have damaged areas where it'll skip over.

I plan to do Max 30 once BeachBody does their subscription stuff.

The DVD's are really cheap quality. My insanity and p90x3 dvd's already have damaged areas where it'll skip over.

That sucks I was just worried about that..."hmm fuk if one of the discs go out"

I do love X3's total synergistic, CVX, accelerator, isometrics, and the eccentrics. Yoga needs to be just a bit longer

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I had problems with the first PiYo disk, and this was especially bad because there are several workouts on it. I had to request a replacement.

Now I rip the disks to my Mac, stream them to a Fire TV stick using Plex, and keep my disks as a safe physical backup. Sooo much more convenient.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I couldn't even get through Sneaky Lunges last night, and I've never ever had a problem with those. This sickness hangover is is really frustrating.

LaneDS

I couldn't even get through Sneaky Lunges last night, and I've never ever had a problem with those. This sickness hangover is is really frustrating.

It'll pass. Make sure you give your body enough time to properly recover and rest! Those workouts will always be there waiting for you once you're better. Good of you to push though, all the same.

Speaking of sneaky lunges, I completed week 6's X1 legs and back just now. Not only did I manage 100 combined assisted chin and pull ups, but my chin and pull up numbers are just about double what I was doing week one. Been aiming to beat last week's rep count by just one with those each time, so small but manageable gains. Feeling pretty good!

Top Bottom