• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Awesome progress and godspeed with Phase 3. I'll be starting that on Thursday. I've skimmed through Upper and Lower and Lower has you using light dumbbells (optional it appears) with medicine balls. Upper uses the heavier dumbbells or bands for shoulder exercises.

One thing I'm wondering about Phase 3 is the exclusion of Ab Ripper? Those that have finished or are in Phase 3 of X2, do you still work on your abs in the PAP exercises? Or have you added Ab Ripper as a supplement to the routines, say once a week? I know you still engage your core and hit your abs in Yoga, but it's not as focused as doing Ab Ripper 3x a week, right?

I've been including it three days a week. At the end of PAP upper (since it's shorter than lower) and on my pure cardio day.

LaneDS

Phase 3 of X2 starts today. I am in the home stretch. I have heard PAP Upper/Lower are quite hard though. Do you still use dumbbells, etc? With Easter this weekend I'll have to do my Fri and Sat workouts at home, may be able to pack bands.

I have allergies killing me today so hopefully I can make it through my first workout in Phase 3. Kind of nice to have a schedule change though, with my rest day now coming Thursday and Yoga on Wednesday.

Oh, to add weight progress too:

Last April = 235 pounds
January (start of X2) = 223 pounds.
Today = 203 pounds.

Lost 30 pounds in a year, and 20 since starting X2. :p

How tall are you? And how muscular were you last April versus now? Just curious for reference purposes; after fifteen days of perfect eating and working out hard, my weight remains unchanged. Does X2 focus more on cardio? Seems to get people cut pretty fast.

Can you guys share some resources for meal ideas that make large portions? I have a couple already (e.g. a big pot of turkey chili that lasts me a while) but am looking for more.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
How tall are you? And how muscular were you last April versus now? Just curious for reference purposes; after fifteen days of perfect eating and working out hard, my weight remains unchanged. Does X2 focus more on cardio? Seems to get people cut pretty fast.

I am about 5'11. I am for sure more muscular now, it shows in my arms and chest for sure. My legs have gotten a bit better too.

My issue is the fact that I take after my grandpa, who has always been bigger and is overweight now, so I was overweight to begin with. My body size was such that I didn't look terribly fat though, just a chubby face and a belly seen mostly when my shirt was off. (My brother got my dad's genetics damn him. My dad is 53 and looks like Tony does).

My ideal weight at this body size would most likely be around 190-195. So that's what I am shooting for. I still have a bit of a belly, but not as noticeable.

I went from a 38 (pushing 40) waist size to a 34 now too.

X2 is not any more cardio than X1 necessarily. It's all in what you have to lose, and what your body type is. I had done P90X1 a year and a half ago and lost 20 lbs then (all of which I gained back when unemployed), so yeah, X2 has worked about the same, but my eating is a lot better now.

EDIT:
Basically here is me before and this morning. Can't see any muscle obviously but gives you an idea of where I started.

Deadly Cyclone said:
ME%2520p3.jpg

Looks great DC! You look illuminated! Do you recommend doing X2 after doing P90X? Some of the clips I have seen seems to require more jumping (noise concern) and some crazy pull ups stuff (I'm still doing assisted). I don't know how medicine balls work either.

On the other hand. It's my turn to workout while being (a little sick). Usually this is my work + school + legs and back day, but I highly suspect that I will die tomorrow morning if I proceed as normal. Thus taking the afternoon off from work so I can without early then go to school in the evening...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Looks great DC! You look illuminated! Do you recommend doing X2 after doing P90X? Some of the clips I have seen seems to require more jumping (noise concern) and some crazy pull ups stuff (I'm still doing assisted). I don't know how medicine balls work either.

On the other hand. It's my turn to workout while being (a little sick). Usually this is my work + school + legs and back day, but I highly suspect that I will die tomorrow morning if I proceed as normal. Thus taking the afternoon off from work so I can without early then go to school in the evening...

Thanks!

Jumping is about the same in X2, maybe less for "noisy" jumping in plyo and whatnot. There have been 2 or 3 "crazy" pull-up types so far, I just switched to the bands when those came up (I suck at pull-ups).

I don't have medicine balls at all. For the exercises where you use them for their weight I just grabbed two loose weights that go to my dumbbells. You could use anything that has some weight though. For the exercises you use them as balance tools I just did the modified (which they show you how to do).

mm04

Don't lose faith. I'm 5'10" and a year ago, I was 189. Now I'm 163. The first 3 weeks, I lost maybe 3lbs. I've chronicled this many times in this and the old thread, but I lost most of my weight during recovery weeks. But one thing I did notice after a few weeks, is how my seat belt fit around me. That was my first tell-tale sign that although the scale wasn't telling me, I was shedding fat. FYI, I did p90x, twice and am now doing something called Supreme 90 for variety's sake. I own p90x2, but don't want to do it until I invest in the medicine balls and foam roller, which can get pricey.

God, I utterly failed at Chest, Shoulders & Triceps today. No idea why.

I could do the weights bits ok (made a little progress), but the push-ups... blech. In some cases I only managed half my best.

LaneDS

Don't lose faith. I'm 5'10" and a year ago, I was 189. Now I'm 163. The first 3 weeks, I lost maybe 3lbs. I've chronicled this many times in this and the old thread, but I lost most of my weight during recovery weeks. But one thing I did notice after a few weeks, is how my seat belt fit around me. That was my first tell-tale sign that although the scale wasn't telling me, I was shedding fat. FYI, I did p90x, twice and am now doing something called Supreme 90 for variety's sake. I own p90x2, but don't want to do it until I invest in the medicine balls and foam roller, which can get pricey.

Thanks, it is good to get reinforcement on this. I know it's a stupid thing to worry about because I'm fairly sure I have *never* worked out (including the stretching/rest days) for more than two weeks straight while eating well, so to think my body wouldn't be positively responding to that after months of mostly being lazy and eating whatever I wanted is silly, but there is that stupid psychological reliance on what the scale says. So I appreciate the comment, for sure, and am looking forward to next week's first recovery period; not so much looking forward to visiting family this weekend and figuring out how I'll get my workouts in and not eat terribly.

Deadly Cyclone, awesome job! Keep it up; I suspect despite who got what genes, you'll be able to get to where you want to be if you stick with it.

I could do the weights bits ok (made a little progress), but the push-ups... blech. In some cases I only managed half my best.

Pushups really get me as well. Today will be week three of chest & back and both previous weeks I've had to put my knees on the ground for most of the pushups. I have at least done the extra push up anytime you're supposed to go into plank during yoga and some of the other workouts, so we'll see how today goes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pushups really get me as well. Today will be week three of chest & back and both previous weeks I've had to put my knees on the ground for most of the pushups. I have at least done the extra push up anytime you're supposed to go into plank during yoga and some of the other workouts, so we'll see how today goes.
They're my weakest point. I like the feeling of being able to do them more confidently over time but they still give me so much trouble, and some of the variations in Chest/Tri are nuts

mm04

Is it your first time in phase 2? It's common to struggle with the new routines. By the time I was starting to do them well, it was recovery week time. When you get to phase 3 is when you should be doing your best every time.

Is it your first time in phase 2? It's common to struggle with the new routines. By the time I was starting to do them well, it was recovery week time. When you get to phase 3 is when you should be doing your best every time.
Third day of that particular workout.

LaneDS

They're my weakest point. I like the feeling of being able to do them more confidently over time but they still give me so much trouble, and some of the variations in Chest/Tri are nuts

Yeah, did chest/back for the third time just now and didn't have the fire I've had most days and ended up just feeling alright at the end of the workout, which is a little disappointing, but I'm glad I did it. I'm so far off from what the people on the DVDs are doing in terms of, well, everything for that particular workout but in time I imagine I can put up something reputable (though it's kind of a bummer to do about the same three weeks running in some ways).

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Finished X2 Core. What a cool workout! It's really unlike anything on the original P90X (except for a few similar moves). And even though it wasn't as draining as something like Synergistics, it still made me sweat quite a bit. Those balance moves are going to be a bitch to master, specially the ones that require the stability ball.

Can't wait to see my progress in this program.

Back on the schedule today. Had to take some time off between family, travel, and a lot of stress from school.

Feels good to be back and I'm looking forward to finishing off the final phase. I'm down around 16ish pounds from the start, which I'm very pleased with. Looking to get another 5 lbs out of the last month.

Anyone try switching to a gym routine after finishing P90X? How did you find your gains?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did plyo at midnight last night. Kept up pretty well actually; great workout overall. But I am wiped this morning at work. I can barely move my eyes from side to side. I just want to go home and collapse into a pile of sleep.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
LOL, Jezebel ranks the P90X supporting cast. As most here, Frog Boy and Katie top the list (as the most hated):

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17hyoqrgfalgejpg/original.jpg

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17hyoqvec9jjhjpg/original.jpg

Article:

http://jezebel.com/5897580/ranking-the-p90x-supporting-cast-from-worst-to-best

Personally, I really like Bobby, the plyometrics group, and Daniel Haas.

Laura and Daniel Haas above Bobby Stephenson!??! THAT IS SOME BULL SHIT.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Kinda hard to say. If you half-ass it, it will feel easier than plyometrics. If you really push yourself, it could be as hard. There are a few moves that are harder than anything on plyometrics (killer katherines with med balls, frog burpees, plyo pushups/run/squats, etc.)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Kinda hard to say. If you half-ass it, it will feel easier than plyometrics. If you really push yourself, it could be as hard. There are a few moves that are harder than anything on plyometrics (killer katherines with med balls, frog burpees, plyo pushups/run/squats, etc.)
Ah right, I don't have any med balls. Fast catherines on the second round kill me, it's like my knees are laughing at me

I think Plyo is deceptive though. You might be going deeper/higher with moves than you were the previous week.
Had to go back and dig this up to say thanks, you were absolutely right.

I used the modified versions of the squats (normal for everything else) and whilst I took a couple of extended breaks, I managed to get through it just fine today. Burned 780kcal (HRM off on breaks) so I wasn't exactly taking it easy either. ;)

So yeah, the full on squats were just destroying my energy levels. I threw in a few here and there and I could feel my legs hating me. I guess I'll just have to gradually start swapping in the full versions and see how I go.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My sister had this under-the-desk cycle thing you can do while sitting. Now I can be cycling all day at work
KuGsj.gif

Wonder how effective this thing actually is at burning some calories.

LaneDS

My sister had this under-the-desk cycle thing you can do while sitting. Now I can be cycling all day at work
KuGsj.gif

Wonder how effective this thing actually is at burning some calories.

This reminds me, does anyone else get, uh, "stupid legs" when trying to do the reverse bicycle stuff from ab ripper x? The combination of doing the air pedal motion backwards combined with exhausted legs/core make me look like a goon when that part comes up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This reminds me, does anyone else get, uh, "stupid legs" when trying to do the reverse bicycle stuff from ab ripper x? The combination of doing the air pedal motion backwards combined with exhausted legs/core make me look like a goon when that part comes up.
I cannot do them. See earlier posts on this topic by me. I just have to do sets of forward bicycles.
LLShC.gif

pr0cs

no but even after doing P90x for a long time they still hurt my hip adductor/flexors regularly

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man, fucking towel pull-ups. AAARG!

And again, by the time max rep pulls come around, I am totally wiped. Hmm.

grumble

Back on the schedule today. Had to take some time off between family, travel, and a lot of stress from school.

Feels good to be back and I'm looking forward to finishing off the final phase. I'm down around 16ish pounds from the start, which I'm very pleased with. Looking to get another 5 lbs out of the last month.

Anyone try switching to a gym routine after finishing P90X? How did you find your gains?

I did P90X for a while, then went back to a traditional barbell program. I found my lifts suffered, but cardio was much better. Was better at chinups.

Kind of goes in line with the idea of P90X, though; unweighted movements aren't going to train you for the big-weight weighted movements, but they'll get you in shape and make you 'fit'. P90X is more about 'fit' than 'jacked'.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
This foam rolling stuff is crazy. Really looking forward to see what it does to my overall fitness. If Tony says is good, I believe the man.

Feature

Banned
Did the arms and shoulders last evening + AbripperX. Felt gooooood son, I can still feel my back from the chest / back workout though. Tonight it's time for some yoga. Hope this weares me out, love feeling the burn!

LaneDS

Did the arms and shoulders last evening + AbripperX. Felt gooooood son, I can still feel my back from the chest / back workout though. Tonight it's time for some yoga. Hope this weares me out, love feeling the burn!

Oh, if you have no experience with yoga (or maybe if you do?) you will absolutely feel a burn. Granted, it's a slow burn, but you will sweat, for sure, doing yoga.

Top Bottom