• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
NXRnW.jpg:medium

Can't freaking wait to start this next week. I watched the Plyocide video and it looks like a blast.

Plyo, round 2 tonight. Already kind of afraid of the rockstar jumps or whatever they're called. Oh how my downstairs neighbors must hate me for that hour.

Jump knee tuck and rockstar hops get bookend-ed by a little personal pause button from me. They never get easier, you just get better at em.

hxa155

I think I'm gonna start my second P90X round this Friday. I've finally been able to install a pull up bar in my room. I did my first round with resistance bands and honestly didn't really feel like my back improved that much.

Another thing is the diet. I'll make sure I follow the nutrition plans this time. I'm not sure I can do it for a full 90 days though lol.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
How long is that foam roller?

13 inches long. Tony was pimping it on OpenSky, but I got it from Amazon.

And speaking of diets, I'm gonna change mine again starting X2. I was eating a truckload of calories and carbs to gain some mass, but I'm gonna back off a little and focus on more protein.

Any tips on how to get a lot of protein outside of chicken and powders?

I'll try stuff like lentils and eggs, but I need more options too.

elfinke

Hi guys I'm about to jump in on the Power 90 starter stuff. A mate (who has moved into the P90/X routines) gave me his DVD's and a guide book, as well as some other documents and I've already got resistance bands and some other basic gym equipment so I think I'm set to go.

It's not the P90/X stuff, just the beginner course.

Any tips or suggestions? I only want to lose a small amount of weight, and am more looking forward to gaining strength and flexibility. Any tone or definition that comes along is purely a bonus! I'm really looking forward to it - it worked wonders for my mate, and some of the stories here on GAF are also very inspiring!

Ugh, I swear I'm getting less fit as I go. At least when it comes to plyo. The squat jumps really sap my energy and leave me with nothing for everything else.

I think I'll just half arse them next time and see how it goes.

Ugh, I swear I'm getting less fit as I go. At least when it comes to plyo. The squat jumps really sap my energy and leave me with nothing for everything else.

I think Plyo is deceptive though. You might be going deeper/higher with moves than you were the previous week.

Hi guys I'm about to jump in on the Power 90 starter stuff. A mate (who has moved into the P90/X routines) gave me his DVD's and a guide book, as well as some other documents and I've already got resistance bands and some other basic gym equipment so I think I'm set to go.

It's not the P90/X stuff, just the beginner course.

Any tips or suggestions? I only want to lose a small amount of weight, and am more looking forward to gaining strength and flexibility. Any tone or definition that comes along is purely a bonus! I'm really looking forward to it - it worked wonders for my mate, and some of the stories here on GAF are also very inspiring!

P90 is great if you only want to focus on weight loss

You got most of it already. Bands or weights for sculpting. Do 8 to 10 reps if you want size, 12 to 15 for lean.

There's a 5 min yoga portion during the cardio warm up, getting a cheap mat would be helpful

LaneDS

I can't see you getting less fit if you're eating right and working hard, y'know? Maybe you just need to give your body more rest or better fuel. Week 2 of plyo was tonight and while I had more trouble with some parts due to soreness from, uh, all of week 1, I felt improvement and did some (really sloppy) rock star jumps and the knee tucking ones (they both probably looked very similar when I was doing the few that I could).

OG Kush

Anyone know if its alright to take a 5 min break halfway through ab ripper x? Or is it best to continue through as its the continuous burn which makes ab ripper x actually do the work? I want results, and if the 5 min break is going to reduce these results plz let me know! thanks

From Tony himself. Helps get me out of ruts. It's in all caps so you know he's pissed.

http://tonyhorton.blogspot.com/2008/10/chat-room-throw-down.html

I will say one thing regarding that rant, and especially the economy / excuses aspect of it. Eating the healthiest food is extraordinarily expensive, especially when it comes to getting a lot of protein (easier if you like Tuna). I've gone from spending something like £50 a week on food to £150 a week. Utterly insane.

As shit as this sounds, I really don't blame poor people for eating unhealthily. You could stock up on enough rice, pasta and toppings to last you a month and only spend £50. It's an entirely different world to getting a lot of fruit, nuts, fish, chicken etc.

Oh, and he can STFU about coffee too. :) I'm yet to see any particularly good reasons to do so, at least in terms of losing fat. I saw one reason which was awful... apparently it makes you edgy and hyperactive, which will make it less likely that you can resist sugary foods. I mean WTF, seriously. The same argument is made for crashing your blood sugar levels... which will force you to eat unhealthily. Also utter crap for anyone with the slightest willpower.

Edit - On reflection I guess it does make good advice for most people, because MOST PEOPLE ARE WEAK.

I agree with pretty much everything else he says though. Especially this bit:

"THIS COUNTRY HAS TURNED INTO PRE-ROME, AND THE EMPIRE'S ABOUT TO COLLAPSE."

Good god you spend a ton on fresh food over there. My wife and I spend about 80 US per week on groceries for the both of us (not including the tub of protein powder every couple of months).

I actually just started drinking 2 cups of black coffee in the morning. I think it has kickstarted some extra weight loss for me and since I am at work by 7 am I needed a boost.

Meat is the worst part. So much so that many supermarkets are now putting security tags on their meat products to discourage people from stealing them.

From Tony himself. Helps get me out of ruts. It's in all caps so you know he's pissed.

http://tonyhorton.blogspot.com/2008/10/chat-room-throw-down.html

That was pretty awesome! I want to make a typography poster based on that now.
Also, why does his blog have a .ca domain?

I agree with pretty much everything else he says though. Especially this bit:

"THIS COUNTRY HAS TURNED INTO PRE-ROME, AND THE EMPIRE'S ABOUT TO COLLAPSE."

That made me laugh. To be fair, he posted that in '08.

We have a wholesaler called Costco here and I buy really good quality chicken breasts at about 1$ each or so. I spent about a week in Canary Wharf and I seem to remember how expensive food was. Can't remember the name of the grocery store we used but it hurt, especially after the conversion.

In P90x news my back feels good and I'm hitting chest and back hard as a mug tonight.

LaneDS

Why is he so anti-dairy? I assume it's a Mark Sisson/paleo sort of thing but I don't remember the reasons there. Almond/rice milk is expensive so I won't be doing that anytime soon.

mehdi_san

That was a great read, thanks for the link.
However, 6 workouts a week is not very realistic IMO. Especially if you are trying to have any other hobby in your life... :(

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Good god you spend a ton on fresh food over there. My wife and I spend about 80 US per week on groceries for the both of us (not including the tub of protein powder every couple of months).

I actually just started drinking 2 cups of black coffee in the morning. I think it has kickstarted some extra weight loss for me and since I am at work by 7 am I needed a boost.

Makes me weep because that is what I spend on myself (I live alone) and I literally walk out of the grocery store with 4-5 bags.

NXRnW.jpg:medium

Can't freaking wait to start this next week. I watched the Plyocide video and it looks like a blast.

Can you link to the foam roller on Amazon?

mehdi_san

During p90x your hobby is working out.

Oh yeah, I agree with that, and that's why I haven't found the time to play games since I started p90x. I'm 100% invested in the program, and it's the only thing that matters to me for now. But when I think about how I want to live the rest of my life, I don't see myself chaining p90x programs one after the other. I wanna have time to do other things, like practicing my instrument again, for example!

Oh yeah, I agree with that, and that's why I haven't found the time to play games since I started p90x. I'm 100% invested in the program, and it's the only thing that matters to me for now. But when I think about how I want to live the rest of my life, I don't see myself chaining p90x programs one after the other. I wanna have time to do other things, like practicing my instrument again, for example!

Yeah, but the entire argument is this is your body your health your life, so you have to do it.

AiTM

Banned
Anyone use any pre-workout supplements? Im off caffeine except for one day a week, and Im trying to change my workout time from 10 at night to 5 or 6pm right after work, which is when I usually take a nap.

Since ephedrine is illegal, I was thinking about Jack3d. Idk tho, any ideas?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Why is he so anti-dairy? I assume it's a Mark Sisson/paleo sort of thing but I don't remember the reasons there. Almond/rice milk is expensive so I won't be doing that anytime soon.
Publixes by me (Florida) frequently have Almond Breeze 1/2 gallons on sale for $2.50. It lasts incredibly long so I buy a bunch.

However, 6 workouts a week is not very realistic IMO. Especially if you are trying to have any other hobby in your life... :(
Well, it requires a huge commitment; that doesn't make it unrealistic. It's up to you to make it realistic. I will say that balancing any kind of social life and a full-time job with the program during the week is tricky proposition and requires a lot of compromise.

Humbled again by Phase 2. Started out Back and Biceps feeling amazing- I hit double digits on my standard pull-ups and chin-ups (still assisted of course) for the first time in my life. But the fucking corncob and towel pull ups.... what the... I could barely do 4 of each. :(

AiTM

Banned
Why would you dump caffeine yet take something like that which has caffeine (and random crap) in it anyway?

Yea I realize that, I meant more to say Im trying to cut off caffeine, but I cant really avoid it since every supplement that boosts energy has it. I should have clarified I didnt want to take a 5 hour energy or drink coffee. Maybe I should tho

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
That Tony rant was pretty great. I don't agree with everything he noted, but I do agree with a vast majority. I will always be a self-proclaimed "foodie" and won't cut everything I love, but I can eat bad occasionally and stay healthy by doing it right, and eating bad in moderation.

It's worked for P90X2, and I've created a food plan that I can keep long term.

LaneDS

Publixes by me (Florida) frequently have Almond Breeze 1/2 gallons on sale for $2.50. It lasts incredibly long so I buy a bunch.

Well, it requires a huge commitment; that doesn't make it unrealistic. It's up to you to make it realistic. I will say that balancing any kind of social life and a full-time job with the program during the week is tricky proposition and requires a lot of compromise.

Humbled again by Phase 2. Started out Back and Biceps feeling amazing- I hit double digits on my standard pull-ups and chin-ups (still assisted of course) for the first time in my life. But the fucking corncob and towel pull ups.... what the... I could barely do 4 of each. :(

Oh hm, I was thinking it'd be a lot more than that. I'll look next time I'm at the grocery store to see what it sells for. I suppose if it's only a few dollars and has some positive health benefits, well, that's money well spent.

Did a lot of folks find week two was almost harder than week one? The soreness has made some parts more difficult (and yet I think I'm doing more/better reps, if that makes any sense). Lots of fun popping and cracking sounds post plyo this morning!

Garryk

When I started P90X I was having lots of trouble with carpal tunnel. I don't know if it's the push-ups, yoga, curls, etc... but I don't have any pain in my wrists anymore. Nice little fringe benefit of doing the program.

One aspect of P90X that I've loved is that it's forced me to find time to cook again. I love cooking, but normal life has always got in the way. However, there's no way in hell I'm eating the same sort of shit day after day like most people on routines like this tend to do. Oh joy, another tuna salad, yay, turkey.

/throws plate at wall

Since starting 6 weeks ago I've tried around 60 new recipes and found some utterly fantastic ones. Slowing down a bit on it now (working out the nutrition on a recipe is a major pain in the arse) but I'm still going to be cooking the enjoyable new ones I've found.

On a random related note. I know generally it's best to eat certain foods within an hour of exercise (the bad ones usually), but what about carbs in general? Is it generally considered best to get them early in the day? I've never really paid attention to the timing theory.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Oh hm, I was thinking it'd be a lot more than that. I'll look next time I'm at the grocery store to see what it sells for. I suppose if it's only a few dollars and has some positive health benefits, well, that's money well spent.

Did a lot of folks find week two was almost harder than week one? The soreness has made some parts more difficult (and yet I think I'm doing more/better reps, if that makes any sense). Lots of fun popping and cracking sounds post plyo this morning!

Almond milk here in Iowa is typically about $3.25 for me. Very worth it though.

As for the question, week 2 will be a bit harder because of the soreness. Just make sure you stretch VERY well. I find that once my body gets going it's not as bad, but getting myself to warm up when I hurt is tough. :p

I've never got around to trying almond milk. Just looking at the UK prices, would work out something like this...

GBP 1.69 per litre
USD 2.70 per litre
USD 12.15 per gallon

How does that compare?

Edit - Ouch, fucking badly. Still, we get it worse on fuel so what's new.

And coffee was okay in p90!

And yea, coffee has more caffeine content than tea, but unless someone's not being careful and take that before a workout, what harm does it do? I gotta get through my day!

You know, I get that people are all hardcore about P90X, but it's not exactly carved in stone that you have to actually do it in 90 days or YOU FAIL. Follow the program and do it every other day. Or every third day with other stuff mixed in as you have time. In an ideal situation, you'd follow the 90 day thing. But it cracks me up when someone is, like, three or four weeks in and gets sick, misses a week, and then is all like, 'Should I start over you think?' Hell no, unless you want to, of course. (end rant)

AiTM

Banned
You know, I get that people are all hardcore about P90X, but it's not exactly carved in stone that you have to actually do it in 90 days or YOU FAIL. Follow the program and do it every other day. Or every third day with other stuff mixed in as you have time. In an ideal situation, you'd follow the 90 day thing. But it cracks me up when someone is, like, three or four weeks in and gets sick, misses a week, and then is all like, 'Should I start over you think?' Hell no, unless you want to, of course. (end rant)

Great point. When I first started working out I did 3 days a week. Now I fluctuate between 4-6. Its good to have a set standard and goal for yourself. But the important thing is to not overload yourself, but make changes overtime. Even the smallest change or slight deviation, over a long enough time, creates massive results.

Top Bottom