• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got my kit today, looking through the recipes. They mention energy shakes, protein bars,and recovery formulas...

Needless stuff they're trying to sell me, or something good?

and if good is there a better (cheaper) alternative?

Going to try and start by the end of the month, but at the least I'll start with these recipes.

Was happy to find out my Subway usual (6" roast beef) is a good thing.

Got my kit today, looking through the recipes. They mention energy shakes, protein bars,and recovery formulas...

Needless stuff they're trying to sell me, or something good?

and if good is there a better (cheaper) alternative?

Going to try and start by the end of the month, but at the least I'll start with these recipes.

Was happy to find out my Subway usual (6" roast beef) is a good thing.

Protein bars: Cliff protein bars. A lot of us prefer the chocolate peanut butter flavor, but try your own.

Recovery drink: a lot of us a variation of whey or protein powder. I use protein, specifically syntha 6. You can find it on Amazon, great taste and a shit load of flavors. A really cheap but very good alternative is skim chocolate milk

I've warmed to it a bit. Yoga Belly can fuck off though... just doesn't seem to fit.

I'm still rubbish at the very last part of the first section too (my legs go dead for some reason).

Yeah it's like that one final hump, and it's pretty cruel. I love touching the sky and boat though, especially boat
Never tried recovery forumlas so can't tell you

Tattooth

I started this yesterday, and while I did as much as I could, I didn't have a pull up bar, since I am pretty sure the ones in the OP would not fit in the part above any of my doors. Are there any good alternatives to that type, because I really feel like I missed out by replacing the pull up parts with dumbbells.

FOOTE

I started this yesterday, and while I did as much as I could, I didn't have a pull up bar, since I am pretty sure the ones in the OP would not fit in the part above any of my doors. Are there any good alternatives to that type, because I really feel like I missed out by replacing the pull up parts with dumbbells.

Came across this. http://www.livestrong.com/article/249547-how-to-do-pull-ups-at-home/ Try at your own risk.

There are also these types. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007W2FLI/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Try at your own risk.

Or you could always go to the local playground and get your pull ups in. Try at your own risk.

hxa155

I love Yoga belly 7, especially that 'Touch the Sky' move at the end. Maybe I'm a masochist lol

just did Chest&Back, total of 300 pushups :D

Feature

Banned
I'm in my second week and I can see clear improvements in everything so far. More push ups, more pull ups, abs easier. haven't managed to finish the five scissor exercise in 1 go though :( Today it's legs and back so some more pull ups! Lets do it!

Also I can see some improvement in my ab area + I can feel it's much harder now than befor when I press it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm in my second week and I can see clear improvements in everything so far. More push ups, more pull ups, abs easier. haven't managed to finish the five scissor exercise in 1 go though
Oh I still can't do all the fifer scissors without at least one break
KuGsj.gif

tralfazz

I do have to say, the start of Phase 3 on X2 (PAP) is the first time I have really felt sore since the first few weeks of Phase 1.

Some of those PAP moves are tough, and use movements I don't normally do. :)
Preach on brotha. Started it this week and am sore all over again but in a good way. My gluts and hips scream after the Triangle.

On PAP Upper, I used to be able to do planks for 2 minutes at a time but throw in a med ball for the feet and I could barely do half the time alloted.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey fellas, so looks I will be resetting the clock on P90X and starting from Day 1 on Monday! My friend who I was talking about doing the program with from the beginning has finally got his act together (I just went ahead and started, but he was dragging his feet). But now he's getting his equipment and I told him if he got started while I was still in Phase 2 I'd reset and join him. So it'll be more like P150X for me, I suppose. While I know it's probably not ideal because of the program design, I have a number of ways to add weight and intensity to the old routines now (and it's not like I had really mastered the to begin with :p) and am sort of looking forward to revisiting the phase 1 schedule with the gains I've made so far. Doesn't really feel like I'm losing out on progress to me, because I know it will be really motivating to have someone to stay on schedule with and everything.

edit: Goddamn donuts in the breakroom. MUST HOLD STRONG!

The first few days are tough, but just getting through the workout is big, so good work. When I first started P90, I had a lot more trouble with cardio days than resistance, but that reversed once I moved up to 3-4. Check back in tomorrow and let us know how Sweat goes!

Oh my day one of cardio is a humbling experience. I knew I was out of shape. I didnt think I was this bad! I have a feeling I'll be on these 1-2 videos for a while. I made it but had to keep taking breaks after each set. You know it's bad when youre feeling it after stretching :/

My first goal is to reduce breaks. Well first I screwed up and sat down on breaks.

I picked up some protein shakes, vitamins and creatine. Any recommendations on a recovery drink or with all this am I covered?

edit: after two days I'm really sore. Should I take a break. I'm thinking about it and not count this first week part of the 90 days. Or should I power through it. What say you GAF?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh my day one of cardio is a humbling experience. I knew I was out of shape. I didnt think I was this bad! I have a feeling I'll be on these 1-2 videos for a while. I made it but had to keep taking breaks after each set. You know it's bad when youre feeling it after stretching :/

My first goal is to reduce breaks. Well first I screwed up and sat down on breaks.

I picked up some protein shakes, vitamins and creatine. Any recommendations on a recovery drink or with all this am I covered?

edit: after two days I'm really sore. Should I take a break. I'm thinking about it and not count this first week part of the 90 days. Or should I power through it. What say you GAF?
Sorry not sure if you're doing 90 or 90x, but...

You should absolutely feel sore your first week. It'd be crazy if you didn't. A good recovery drink will actually help with that. Try to power through- as long as you're not actually putting yourself at risk of injury (if you think there's any chance of this, back off), just keep going, don't worry about what counts and what doesn't and taking breaks. Just keep pushing play and it all gets easier over time, though it NEVER gets easy. It's supposed to be humbling.

Sorry not sure if you're doing 90 or 90x, but...

You should absolutely feel sore your first week. It'd be crazy if you didn't. A good recovery drink will actually help with that. Try to power through- as long as you're not actually putting yourself at risk of injury (if you think there's any chance of this, back off), just keep going, don't worry about what counts and what doesn't and taking breaks. Just keep pushing play and it all gets easier over time, though it NEVER gets easy. It's supposed to be humbling.

Im on power 90. My main goal is no matter how long it takes starting out I won't quit. What's a good recovery drink?

KingGondo

Banned
Well, I'm taking the plunge, GAF. Just ordered resistance bands and the P90X DVDs from Amazon, should be here Tuesday.

I'm in decent shape, but I just moved into a new house and there aren't any decent gyms nearby. I'm looking for something to kick-start my fitness and finally get off the weight I put on in law school. If I start next week, I should be done in mid-July.

I need something to keep me interested and motivated, and I think the structure of a program like this could really help. I plan on supplementing my P90X workouts with running in the neighborhood, too.

sweet i'll pick some up. I need a brita water purifier anyways. I love my bottle water but now that i'm working out its not cost effective to use the good stuff for workouts!
http://www.brita.com/products/filtering-bottle/brita-bottle-aqua/

I have one of these, it's awesome. The filters are pretty cheap, too.

Well, I'm taking the plunge, GAF. Just ordered resistance bands and the P90X DVDs from Amazon, should be here Tuesday.

I'm in decent shape, but I just moved into a new house and there aren't any decent gyms nearby. I'm looking for something to kick-start my fitness and finally get off the weight I put on in law school. If I start next week, I should be done in mid-July.

I need something to keep me interested and motivated, and I think the structure of a program like this could really help. I plan on supplementing my P90X workouts with running in the neighborhood, too.

http://www.brita.com/products/filtering-bottle/brita-bottle-aqua/

I have one of these, it's awesome. The filters are pretty cheap, too.

Welcome! After the first week you'll probably say F running tho. :)

The structure to P90X is awesome. I used to be a gym rat when I was younger but with work I love something that I can do whenever I feel like it and I don't need to drive anywhere.

KingGondo

Banned
Welcome! After the first week you'll probably say F running tho. :)

The structure to P90X is awesome. I used to be a gym rat when I was younger but with work I love something that I can do whenever I feel like it and I don't need to drive anywhere.
Thanks, I kinda figured that running might fall by the wayside, at least at first.

Working out from home is one of the most appealing aspects. I can get home, get a good workout in, then make dinner and relax for the evening.

Is there anything that I can do to prep myself before I begin p90x? I don't want to end up being completely immobilized by the first workout session. :p

I have two more weeks of uni before summer break and I'm planning to start this program as soon as I get done with school.

Is there anything that I can do to prep myself before I begin p90x? I don't want to end up being completely immobilized by the first workout session. :p

I have two more weeks of uni before summer break and I'm planning to start this program as soon as I get done with school.

How in shape would you say you are? There is fit test that you should check out. Defintely doing some jogging beforehand will help. You could also start trying to do some pushups at your uni since it doesn't require anything but the floor.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Try the fit test if you can. Truth is you may wind up immobilized after day 1 anyway
KuGsj.gif

Welcome all who are just starting out! This thread is grand.

How in shape would you say you are? There is fit test that you should check out. Defintely doing some jogging beforehand will help. You could also start trying to do some pushups at your uni since it doesn't require anything but the floor.
I'm about 15 to 20 lbs above my normal weight of 175 lbs.

When I have some down time I'll be sure to jog and do some push ups.

Try the fit test if you can. Truth is you may wind up immobilized after day 1 anyway
KuGsj.gif

Welcome all who are just starting out! This thread is grand.
Oh boy...

I'm about 15 to 20 lbs above my normal weight of 175 lbs.

When I have some down time I'll be sure to jog and do some push ups.

Oh boy...

Right on. Welcome and good luck. Like Hawkian said there isn't too much preparing you can do. I just got done with P90X2 and started P90X again this week and I'm sore all over again. Just because I'm doing some moves that were different from what I've been doing the last 3 months.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh boy...
Maybe the best advice in preparation one could get would be, "learn to love the feeling of being unable to go any further." It means you've done well! Push yourself as hard as you can, but don't get discouraged about what you can't do or how weak you feel during a given workout. The best thing you can do for yourself is just keep showing up every day.

Very well.

Also, I've bought myself a calendar so I can mark off the days I've worked out on. I think it'll be a good visual aid for me.

FOOTE

Will be finished with week 2 of my P90X/insanity hybrid tonight. Too bad it isn't a kempo night like it normally would be. :lol

Should be in better shape than most of the other guys when my summer hockey league starts up.

hxa155

Will be finished with week 2 of my P90X/insanity hybrid tonight. Too bad it isn't a kempo night like it normally would be. :lol

Should be in better shape than most of the other guys when my summer hockey league starts up.

I'm doing a P90X/Insanity hybrid as well. What is your schedule?

Which hybrid are you doing? Or are you just doing an Insanity workout in the AM and a P90X in the PM or vice versa?

I've debated getting it. Think it's worth $5?

It depends really.

I think the app is more geared towards people who plan on purchasing the exercises (each DVD in digital form) from within the app. As an app by itself I don't think there's much there that you couldn't get for free from other calorie tracker apps or even your own notes app that comes default on your iPhone. The main app itself without the exercises you purchase is a calorie/portion control counter, a calender to mark when you've completed each exercise, alerts that can be set to remind you to work out, and during each workout you can track how much weight you lift and reps. Like I said, it's convenient but it still could all be done on a piece of paper or your notes app. For $5 I guess it's worth the risk but I probably wouldn't have bought it a month ago again based on what I use it for now. What I use it for now is just the moves list that is part of the base $4.99 app. It's great because I can do p90x from my school gym and be reminded of the order for each move even down to the stretches. After a few weeks you may find the DVDs either slow you down or are still too fast for you and the pausing and starting over and over can really drag you down. Turning off the tv and having the list of moves (once you are confident you have learned proper form of course) there with your music of choice is such a better workout for me personally than focusing on mimicking tony and crews every step. Again though, I could have just written each move down on a notepad ;)

Ah ok. Wouldn't be very useful in my situation. Would be handy for travel. Thanks.

Yea you are too familiar with the program and the diet. The app is really good for record keeping and making sure you are not skipping any moves or any day with the program. There's a fill-in chart for the diet too. But you have done all that and you are doing a mix of X and X2 so no bueno for you

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk

Power 90 is an excellent prep. You don't even need to do the full 90 day program, just do the 1-2 videos for a week and then move on to 3-4 for a week or two and that will get you on the right track. If you find yourself struggling with 3-4, maybe do a couple more weeks of that before starting P90X. I found Power 90 to be extremely helpful for getting me into the mindset of working out everyday; it also gave me time to figure out what I was doing with nutrition.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm, looking at the food picks and that in the nutrition menu seem fairly confusing and I've not cooked them before (Salmon for example). Anyone here happy to give advice for a good food plan and the best (and perhaps cheapest) choices to go with it? :)

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Do the portion approach instead of the meals. It's really easy since you only have to mix things and don't need to know how to cook (other than a few simple things).

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Do the portion approach instead of the meals. It's really easy since you only have to mix things and don't need to know how to cook (other than a few simple things).

Thanks for that, I see what to do now. How do you do your food eating routine (like carbs, protein, when during the day, etc) so I can get a fair idea what to do with mine.

FOOTE

I'm doing a P90X/Insanity hybrid as well. What is your schedule?
I'll post a link when I get home to my PC. Its really nothing special though.

Harry, I'm not currently doing two workouts in a day. I know you've completed insanity. Have you done a hybrid? Would you recommend doing the p90x and insanity workouts the same day? Energy or strength aren't an issue for me, but I do wonder about giving my body time to fully recover.

Edit- This is my schedule. http://pledgetostayfit.com/documents/p90x_insanity_hybrid_workout_schedule.pdf

To those of you who have done a hybrid before, let me know what you think. I'm not looking to pussy my way though this.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm starting P90X on Sunday and was just looking at the weather for the weekend... For my first day of plyo, it's going to be almost 90 degrees (I'm in Boston). What. The. Fuck. Can't we have spring weather? This planet is getting ridiculous. I'm scared now. :(

FOOTE

I'm starting P90X on Sunday and was just looking at the weather for the weekend... For my first day of plyo, it's going to be almost 90 degrees (I'm in Boston). What. The. Fuck. Can't we have spring weather? This planet is getting ridiculous. I'm scared now. :(
Careful what you wish for man. The weather got miserable really quick today here in St. Louis. ;)

LaneDS

Do I win some sort of prize for vomiting during core synergistics? If so, almost won today; that shit is brutal.

Almost four weeks done and looking a lot more muscular (still plenty of fat to be burned off though). Love this program.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Thanks for that, I see what to do now. How do you do your food eating routine (like carbs, protein, when during the day, etc) so I can get a fair idea what to do with mine.

It's pretty easy. For breakfast for example I drink a glass of milk (dairy portion), 2 whole wheat slices (carb/grain portion) and peanut butter (fat portion). I use the P90X app to keep track of the portions I eat and based on that I plan my meals. After a couple weeks it will feel second nature, and you will be able to calculate (approximately) how many calories and portions you are eating just by looking at the food.

D23

do i get better results if i do P90x/insanity hybrid? or the p90x classic??
im currently on the recovery week on the hybrid program but im just wondering if the classic is a better program all around.

I'll post a link when I get home to my PC. Its really nothing special though.

Harry, I'm not currently doing two workouts in a day. I know you've completed insanity. Have you done a hybrid? Would you recommend doing the p90x and insanity workouts the same day? Energy or strength aren't an issue for me, but I do wonder about giving my body time to fully recover.

Edit- This is my schedule. http://pledgetostayfit.com/documents/p90x_insanity_hybrid_workout_schedule.pdf

To those of you who have done a hybrid before, let me know what you think. I'm not looking to pussy my way though this.

Insanity and P90X in one day is BANANAS. That schedule that you are following looks hard enough. Some of the harder Insanity workouts are in there: max interval circuit, pure cardio, cardio conditioning. No pussy here my friend. Looks challenging and fun. Good luck and keep us updated.

That's a good idea, I might copy you on that one.

Seeing those days tick off will be a good motivator.

I'd recommend thinking about what day you start on. You don't have to start on Monday. I start on Wednesday so that way Yoga falls on Saturday and Legs&Back/ab ripper x is on Sunday. Those are the two hardest work outs for me, so if I do them on the weekend, I have a little more leeway about the time I do them.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
do i get better results if i do P90x/insanity hybrid? or the p90x classic??
im currently on the recovery week on the hybrid program but im just wondering if the classic is a better program all around.

Tony recommends to do at least one run of the complete P90X program, and then you can come up with your own hybrids/modifications.

Top Bottom