• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
She just strung the band through the middle of the pull up bar and then the handles meet and she put one foot through both handles.
That's actually brilliant. I should've tried seeing if this worked for me before getting the assist. Oh well.

Fellas, looks like I need a new belt! \o/

I did Cardio X this morning with leg weights. I have to say, I like it a lot with either wrist or ankle weights. Great as a supplemental workout or what you have just a little less time than usual in a day.

She just strung the band through the middle of the pull up bar and then the handles meet and she put one foot through both handles.

Awesome. New bands are needed then. Any tips with the foam roller? Seems like I just need to sit down and learn how to use it, like literally on every part of my body

Awesome. New bands are needed then. Any tips with the foam roller? Seems like I just need to sit down and learn how to use it, like literally on every part of my body

There really isn't much to it. You will rest sore spots of your body on the roller and let gravity do the rest. You won't actually do much rolling. More about applying pressure, like a massage. Might be a little awkward at first but you'll get the hang of it.

There really isn't much to it. You will rest sore spots of your body on the roller and let gravity do the rest. You won't actually do much rolling. More about applying pressure, like a massage. Might be a little awkward at first but you'll get the hang of it.

Hot spots are where we feel pain right? I think they will be easier to spot once im sore from the workouts.

Motivation time!

Tony-Horton.jpg

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I've lost count of how many "Sunday workout buddies" he's seemingly had over the years, heh.

Ezduo

Banned
In P90X during the chest stretch were you slowly lower your arms while your elbows "scrape" the back wall does anyone else get this weird tightening on whatever body part connects from the back of the arm to the neck? It's only on my left side and when I do the stretch it feels like there's this line going from my arm to around the left side of my neck that tightens up as my arms lower before kind of...popping (?) at the bottom. It kind of freaks me out because I feel like if I try too hard I might hurt myself and it's only on that side. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and whether or not I should be worried about it? I do all the exercises fine without any pain in my arms or neck and I still do the stretch every time Tony says to but it's the one move that sticks out in my head since it's only the left side and it has been happening since day one.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Oh man, my ass is killing me after Legs & Back yesterday. Kenpo will be fun today for sure...

KingGondo

Banned
I like em both actually, with wrist/ankle weights. Nice to mix it up.
I plan on keeping Cardio X in my back pocket if I ever need a shorter/slightly easier day and still want to get a workout in. It wasn't bad, but I sweated way more with Kenpo X.

Also, a heart rate monitor, wrist and ankle weights, and powerblock are all on the shopping list.

Wanted to make sure I liked the program before I spent that kind of money.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, I really need to get a heart rate monitor as well. Do you have any thoughts or insight into good value ones?

So this is my final weekend of doing/eating whatever I want before I start on Monday. Im nervous/anxious and excited as hell. I've been despising the way I look and feel for so long. I need this! Just a couple of quick questions first..

-What is the best or most efficient way to properly portion my meals? I don;t want to overeat.

-Since I'm sitting at a desk in an office 5 out of 7 days a week, what is the best way to approach lunches? Is it best to bring my own? If so, what are some good suggestions?

-I know I'm gonna be in some severe pain for the first couple weeks, if I start hurting during certain reps, should I just stop and move onto the next or stop completely for the day? I want to play it safe and not fuck myself up too bad, but at the same time I don't want to slack either...

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah, I really need to get a heart rate monitor as well. Do you have any thoughts or insight into good value ones?
I know Polar is a good brand, and my dad (who is a former fitness instructor himself) recommended getting one with a strap across the chest.

I plan on looking around for ratings later today, I'll post back here with what I find.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So this is my final weekend of doing/eating whatever I want before I start on Monday. Im nervous/anxious and excited as hell. I've been despising the way I look and feel for so long. I need this! Just a couple of quick questions first..
Do you have the P90X nutrition guide? It answers your questions here with varying levels of specificity.
-What is the best or most efficient way to properly portion my meals? I don;t want to overeat.
The portion approach in the nutrition guide shows you a fairly simple way to look at this. I also recommend using www.myfitnesspal.com at least to roughly estimate and track your calories- definitely motivating.
-Since I'm sitting at a desk in an office 5 out of 7 days a week, what is the best way to approach lunches? Is it best to bring my own? If so, what are some good suggestions?
It'll always be best to bring your own, and there are some pretty awesome and fairly easy recipes in the nutrition guide. I can't always manage to prepare my own lunch beforehand but there are decent options to be found without knocking yourself too off course.

If you're interested in meal replacement, I just started using this stuff Lean1, really not too expensive and I think it's going to make a notable difference for me.
-I know I'm gonna be in some severe pain for the first couple weeks, if I start hurting during certain reps, should I just stop and move onto the next or stop completely for the day? I want to play it safe and not fuck myself up too bad, but at the same time I don't want to slack either...
I'm not quiiiite sure what you're asking- some pain and discomfort during workouts is expected and even necessary. If you're pushing yourself into unsafe territory you should be able to recognize it quickly and back off- do a modified move, slower or fewer reps, while the sequence completes. If you actually injure yourself (pull/sprain a muscle, hurt a joint) then you absolutely need to stop for the day (and probably more), which it's why it's so important to avoid this.

Stay well-hydrated, always make sure you have enough energy before a workout (this is something I've had trouble with, I've always been likely to eat the most toward the end of the day), and while you're working out you want to be just outside your comfort zone. You want to be consistently pushing yourself the whole time, not pushing yourself too hard at any one time, if that makes sense.

Oh man, my ass is killing me after Legs & Back yesterday. Kenpo will be fun today for sure...
I never seem to feel it in my ass (!), don't know why. My legs are ruined today. Was the first time I've done it in over three weeks (back injury) and they really weren't up for it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

If you happen to have an iPhone 4s, the Wahoo Fitness BlueHR is a good choice.

It uses low-power Bluetooth 4.0, and the battery lasts a long time (I've had mine since February and only replaced the battery once). There are a number of iOS apps that work with it. I used Wahoo Fitness' own app at first, then switched to iCardio by Digifit which is much better.

I'm not sure what other phones have Bluetooth 4.0 yet. The iPad 3 has it, but the iPad version of iCardio doesn't recognize it (although I'm assured an update that does is coming very soon).

One thing I like about it is that it has a 10' range, so I can leave my iPhone on a table to one side of the workout area & I don't have to wear a watch. I've had no problems with it dropping out due to range.

Started phase 3 today and promptly strained my neck on the second to last exercise.

Kinda sucks. I was doing really, really well. My first day on P90x, I couldn't do any of the diamond push-ups. I was completely toast by the time I got to them. Now, I can do 12 with perfect form and I was still doing well on my second set.

Pulled out of AB Ripper so as not to induce any further injury. Hopefully some Ibuprofen will take care of it and I'll be good for Plyo tomorrow.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Kinda sucks. I was doing really, really well. My first day on P90x, I couldn't do any of the diamond push-ups. I was completely toast by the time I got to them. Now, I can do 12 with perfect form and I was still doing well on my second set.
Holy shit! They're still by far the exercise I have the most trouble with. I did 3 with good form the first set and had to modify second. How can they be so difficult??

:( Sorry about your neck- feel better soon!

I've tried replacing yoga x with yoga x2 as it's a sorter video but I think I'm going to go back to the p90x yoga vid. The x2 version just isn't as intense as the x version. I'm just going to skip the balance portion of the video so it isn't so damn long.

LaneDS

Man, my lung capacity is shit after my surgery last week. Did legs and back today and had to sit down for the first time in a P90X workout about 30 minutes in and only did some of the exercises for the remainder of the workout, and then put in a poor ab ripper performance. Hoping that comes back to me fairly quickly because it is disheartening to see negative progress in week six.

A different issue/question- when I'm doing ab exercises in ab ripper or yoga belly seven I frequently get the most pain in my lower back... is this my body telling me my lower back isn't strong enough basically, and if so, does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do to improve that? I'm concentrating on keeping a straight upper body with my chest raised (where applicable) but I know I slouch a bit because it's difficult to do.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Man, my lung capacity is shit after my surgery last week. Did legs and back today and had to sit down for the first time in a P90X workout about 30 minutes in and only did some of the exercises for the remainder of the workout, and then put in a poor ab ripper performance. Hoping that comes back to me fairly quickly because it is disheartening to see negative progress in week six.

A different issue/question- when I'm doing ab exercises in ab ripper or yoga belly seven I frequently get the most pain in my lower back... is this my body telling me my lower back isn't strong enough basically, and if so, does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do to improve that? I'm concentrating on keeping a straight upper body with my chest raised (where applicable) but I know I slouch a bit because it's difficult to do.

If you are having lower back pain, I'd suggest using a mat or a towel/blanket for extra padding. Also try to engage the core as much (squeeze the buttocks lol) to keep a straight body.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Holy shit, absolutely rocked Shoulders n' Arms tonight. Obliterated my old numbers, with heavier bands :D Doubled my chair dips from week 3. YES

Fuck. Turns out I wasn't ready to start again... at least not for Chest and Back. The back exercises were ok, but the second round of push ups started tweaking my back. I stopped each exercise when I felt pain but I can feel it hurting now I've finished and I'm worried that I've prolonged the injury.

:(

Going to take some ibuprofen and feel sorry for myself.

Good sir, I think you mean yoga Thursdays.

(Today's my kenpo day, but trying to fit yoga in after work on Thursdays sort of sucks if I want to go out and do anything after.)

I LOVE doing yoga on Saturday's. First day of the weekend so I'm really relaxed and feel like I get the most out of it.

OG Kush

How does the Yoga in P90X2 compare to the yoga in p90x? I heard its 1 hour instead of 1 hour 30 which is a big plus for me as I only did the p90x yoga like 3 times because it was so long and I felt for my training purposes that it would be better spent on some other weight training or cardio.
But now I think its time to get back into yoga. Which one is better?

Top Bottom