• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Man, distance running really uses different muscles than X2. Put my X2 (phase 3) on hold this week since I only have 3 days to work out, so Monday and yesterday I went and ran on the ISU cross country course. Did 2-2.5 miles each day and my legs kill. :p

Random pic, I run (if you look at the image in the pic) the main area. It's a mile around the non-tree area.

IMG_20120423_180504.jpg

BeesEight

Alright, I'm going to start Insanity next week since my sister wasn't satisfied with her results from P90X.

There's a lot of factors that probably contribute to that, but one thing we're going to try is sticking to the diet plan. I did the calculations included with the Insanity program and apparently I need 3380 calories which comes to 676 per meal.

So now dumb question time - their meal plans only go up to the 500 caloric level. Are my estimates too high? Can I just double the recipes (which are generally around the 300 calorie mark) and be okay?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So! This, the Lean1 vanilla raspberry meal replacement shake, is totally delicious. After taking my first sip, I immediately signed up for a monthly subscribe and save at Amazon (you get 5% off and can theoretically cancel at any time, the only downside is not controlling precisely when it arrives). This makes it $26.88 for a 1.7lb tub. If you do a full two scoops a day or more, you will need more than one tub a month. But even two per month is less than $60.

I may be a sucker for whatever voodoo they use to flavor these things- I love the taste of Publix's Greenwise Vanilla Whey Protein, for example- but this stuff really is yummy to me. Even with just a single scoop spoon-mixed with cold water it was very enjoyable. Not at all too sweet, which was my main concern- though it might be if mixed with milk. It tastes "substantial" too in the way a protein shake should, like it'd actually satisfy your hunger. Cookies and Cream also sounds pretty delicious to me; I'll have to mix it up at some point and give that a shot.

It mixed pretty darn with with about 30 seconds of stirring, but I'm sure it would be better blended with ice- I'll give that a shot tomorrow morning for breakfast. I also just ordered one of these BlenderBottles to use on the go. So damn cheap and somebody in the office swears by one so why the hell not. Nutritionally, it's not as complete as Shakeology and has 50 more calories per serving, but still: 20g of protein, 6g of fat, 3g each of soluble/unsoluble fiber, only 10g of sugar, negligible cholesterol, and a great distribution of vitamins for about half the cost per month. Gonna stick with this for a few months at least.
3AQmK.gif

Ordinator

So! This, the Lean1 vanilla raspberry meal replacement shake, is totally delicious. After taking my first sip, I immediately signed up for a monthly subscribe and save at Amazon (you get 5% and can theoretically cancel at any time, the only downside is not controlling precisely arrives). This makes it $26.88 for a 1.7lb tub. If you do a full two scoops a day or more, you will need more than one tub a month. But even two per month is less than $60.

Think I'm gonna try this, thanks for the recommendation.

I know this isn't a P90 thread, but my first week of P90 is down. Kicked my ass at first but I'm already seeing big progress. I'm on day 3 of my second week and I'm not sore at all. I can't tell if I'm not pushing hard enough or 1-2 is just not very difficult. Hoping 3-4 is good jump in difficulty.

Can't wait till I'm doing P90x with yous.

I know this isn't a P90 thread, but my first week of P90 is down. Kicked my ass at first but I'm already seeing big progress. I'm on day 3 of my second week and I'm not sore at all. I can't tell if I'm not pushing hard enough or 1-2 is just not very difficult. Hoping 3-4 is good jump in difficulty.

This is a p90 thread yo! I started off with p90. It sounds like you should try 3-4 and see how it feels. 3-4 definitely isolde intense and gives you some serious burn

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I was thinking about it! But wait, everyday? Is it part of the workouts? (haven't read the guide yet...)

You do about 3 minutes of warm-up in almost every DVD with the foam roller, basically replaces the stretches from X1. They tell you to do more before you turn on the DVD though, but for each day you'll use it for the bodypart being covered that day.

You do about 3 minutes of warm-up in almost every DVD with the foam roller, basically replaces the stretches from X1. They tell you to do more before you turn on the DVD though, but for each day you'll use it for the bodypart being covered that day.

Thanks DC. Cactus roller here I come!!! I will start doing it tomorrow

What's the best way to learn for now? Through the DVDs or just try it out on my own?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Mimic what Tony's doing. The cool thing about foam rolling is that, once you learn to use it, you can do it anytime without the need for the dvd if you want.

At first this thing will hurt like crazy, but after a few weeks your whole body feels awesome. Foam rolling my IT bands used to make me cry, and even though it still hurts a bit, it feels much better.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

No problem! And this is too a P90 thread :p Some people in here aren't even doing a Beachbody routine at all! It's all about doing something and sticking with it. And german potato soup.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Great progress BeautifulMemory! Nice work on going cheat-free as well. I finally gave in and started doing a cheat meal or two per week after six months of P90/P90MS, but clearly your willpower is greater than mine. Good luck with X2.

LaneDS

Nice work BM! I'm guessing you'll see more muscle definition on your second pass. How tall are you, and how much (and what kind of) protein were you getting daily? Also, what weight dumbbells (or bands) were you using for the workouts?

Regardless, very good progress and you'll no doubt continue to surprise yourself if you keep at it (which you totally will).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I actually never had the foam roller, and I am in phase 3 of X2 now. It's the one thing I would like to get though.

On a side note, my progress is still moving. Weighed in at 202 this week. A year ago this week (my bday week (27th)) I was 235. :p

Great progress BeautifulMemory! Nice work on going cheat-free as well. I finally gave in and started doing a cheat meal or two per week after six months of P90/P90MS, but clearly your willpower is greater than mine. Good luck with X2.

Thanks Vas! You helped me greatly with P90 and the transition to P90X. Now we are just waiting to see your results! :)

Nice work BM! I'm guessing you'll see more muscle definition on your second pass. How tall are you, and how much (and what kind of) protein were you getting daily? Also, what weight dumbbells (or bands) were you using for the workouts?

Regardless, very good progress and you'll no doubt continue to surprise yourself if you keep at it (which you totally will).

Thanks DS! You too, btw, are already making great progress. Definitely post your second month pics!

I'm 5'5, and my weight at the end is 143. I never calculated the grams but I maximized the protein as much as I could. During fat shredder it was chicken, tuna, Greek yogurt. Now it's tofu/fish/shrimp. Throughout this time I always have protein powder, protein bar, skim milk (16 oz), and turkey jerky. Highly recommend the jerky, almost no fat and high protein.

As for the weights. I started with 12 lbs for biceps and bands (the lightest) for triceps. By 3rd month I was using 20 and 15 primarily for biceps and shoulder press, and 5 lbs for triceps or anything high rep, like in core Synergistics. Sometimes I would experiment with 12 for triceps then I would switch to 5 midway

LaneDS

Thanks Vas! You helped me greatly with P90 and the transition to P90X. Now we are just waiting to see your results! :)

Thanks DS! You too, btw, are already making great progress. Definitely post your second month pics!

I'm 5'5, and my weight at the end is 143. I never calculated the grams but I maximized the protein as much as I could. During fat shredder it was chicken, tuna, Greek yogurt. Now it's tofu/fish/shrimp. Throughout this time I always have protein powder, protein bar, skim milk (16 oz), and turkey jerky. Highly recommend the jerky, almost no fat and high protein.

As for the weights. I started with 12 lbs for biceps and bands (the lightest) for triceps. By 3rd month I was using 20 and 15 primarily for biceps and shoulder press, and 5 lbs for triceps or anything high rep, like in core Synergistics. Sometimes I would experiment with 12 for triceps then I would switch to 5 midway

You feel a lot stronger though, right? I think so long as you're doing more anything in round 2 (are you going to repeat P90X again or try for X2?), whether it's reps, or weight, or just plain intensity (my personal vote), you'll now switch from that "lose a lot of fat" phase into the "get nice muscle definition" phase I think most (all?) of us want. Either way, good luck dude!

I am about to try my first P90X workout (back and biceps, which I haven't done yet) since my appendectomy. I am probably stupid for trying it but I'm going to go until there's noticeable pain, but the mental benefits of working out every day for a month are something I really, really miss so I'm risking injuring myself today by trying it. Time to see how that goes!

Yes I definitely feel stronger. Lifting bigger weights (should be able to do 25 or 30 now), increase cardio (doing plyo without pause), far better stretch (I could never do the standing hamstring stretch). A nice testament was being able to lift myself doing the sphinx pushups lol

And I'm starting X2! Sounds a bit weird but I see those medicine balls and the cactus roller I get super excited. I do want the new an ripper and yoga

I would like to do this program but I feel that it would be too easy after years of training/martial arts. I was thinking about using the following to make it harder -

ZFO_Weighted_Vest_Review_Main.jpg

Mir 40lb Weighted Vest - Planned to start at 20lbs since I am already doing circuits of pullups, dips, pushups, and squats with this much. Reps/Sets on my own program are

Pullups - 11,9, 8, 6 reverse grip - 11, 11, 10, 6
Dips - 12, 10, close grip - 12, 10
Pushups - 20 diamond, 20 normal, 20 wide, 18 diamond
Squats (vest loaded to 40lb) - ass to grass wide stance - 28, 26,24,22

So yea that is my rountine right now and I would like to do P90x wearing 20lb vest to start wherever possible, and replace things like regular pullups/pushups with these -

images

Ring Pullups

760342273_260.jpg

Ring pushups

Can it be done? Should it be done? Should I just stick to my own routine I have going?

I would like to do this program but I feel that it would be too easy after years of training/martial arts. I was thinking about using the following to make it harder -

ZFO_Weighted_Vest_Review_Main.jpg

Mir 40lb Weighted Vest - Planned to start at 20lbs since I am already doing circuits of pullups, dips, pushups, and squats with this much. Reps/Sets on my own program are

Pullups - 11,9, 8, 6 reverse grip - 11, 11, 10, 6
Dips - 12, 10, close grip - 12, 10
Pushups - 20 diamond, 20 normal, 20 wide, 18 diamond
Squats (vest loaded to 40lb) - ass to grass wide stance - 28, 26,24,22

So yea that is my rountine right now and I would like to do P90x wearing 20lb vest to start wherever possible, and replace things like regular pullups/pushups with these -

images

Ring Pullups

760342273_260.jpg

Ring pushups

Can it be done? Should it be done? Should I just stick to my own routine I have going?

Man you sound like you are in pretty good shape already. Still, I'd like to say you will still benefit from P90X. You can always make it harder by wearing those vests, and I think P90X is so nicely rounded that you should be able to get something out of it. Push ups and pull ups are all max reps routines, and there might be some resistance moves you can benefit from.

And there's plyo. There's always plyo (jump training)

Man you sound like you are in pretty good shape already. Still, I'd like to say you will still benefit from P90X. You can always make it harder by wearing those vests, and I think P90X is so nicely rounded that you should be able to get something out of it. Push ups and pull ups are all max reps routines, and there might be some resistance moves you can benefit from.

And there's plyo. There's always plyo (jump training)

Does the program make you do pullups and pushups in the same routine? Because like I said I want to sub all pushups/pullups with ring versions. The only problem is it would take me a couple of minutes to adjust the rings from the dip stand to the pullup bar properly. Was wondering if I have time to do this and still go along with the video.

Does the program make you do pullups and pushups in the same routine? Because like I said I want to sub all pushups/pullups with ring versions. The only problem is it would take me a couple of minutes to adjust the rings from the dip stand to the pullup bar properly. Was wondering if I have time to do this and still go along with the video.

Some routine does, and some doesn't. P90X is all about giving you variety and working every part of your body. For example

The first exercise, Chest and back, is all pushups and pull ups. Then pull ups don't come into play until Legs and Back, which is the 5th exercise of the week

That might not sound like a lot, but in between you are doing jump training, biceps and triceps, and yoga. Variety really is the key

Then, at the second month, you have two new routine. One focuses exclusively on triceps l, which has a lot and different form of pushups (slow mo, plyo, one handed, side). Then at the biceps workouts (all weights) the pull ups return. In either months you are doing tons of pull ups

I hope I'm helping somewhat. But yea a key phrase for p90x is adaptive-mastery. So there's always things and ways to mix it up

As about the timing, you will just have to pause the DVD, since the way they do it everything is set up separately.

But after all, you can really modify it anyway you like, since you are making it more intense for yourself.

Anth0ny

Just finished Day 2 (Plyo).

Those first two days are as tough as I remember. Couldn't do the dive bomber pushups by the end of chest and back, and diamond push ups were killer. I could barely shower after the workout from the soreness. Good stuff ;)

Plyo today was tough too. By the time I got to jump knee tucks, my legs were giving out on me, and there was some pausing to catch my breath.

I've been following the diet plan pretty closely, and the recovery drink is delicious. I'm enjoying it, SO FAR /tonyhorton

Last time around, I was able to get through the entire chest and back/plyo workouts without pausing. Hopefully it's the same this time around!

Gumbie

I need a little advice.

I've been doing P90X for the past 30 days, I like the program and I've made some really good progress. The problem is my work schedule is becoming hectic and it's getting harder and harder to fit these in my daily schedule. The cardio days aren't that bad, but the days with Ab Ripper X and working out over an hour are killing me on time.

I'm considering buying P90 Master Series and shelving the P90X until my work schedule calms down in a few months. I know most of those workouts range from 40-50 or so minutes so it would fit in better. Vatstep, I know you have a lot of experience with the master series is it way less intense than X or is it really just want you put into it? Should I suck it up and find a way to do X even though it's going to be really hard with the time I'm given?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Time to try Chest and Back again for the first time in a month! Can't believe I'm starting phase 3. ope to see some decent increases on push-up reps...

KingGondo

Banned
I need a little advice.

I'm considering buying P90 Master Series and shelving the P90X until my work schedule calms down in a few months. I know most of those workouts range from 40-50 or so minutes so it would fit in better. Vatstep, I know you have a lot of experience with the master series is it way less intense than X or is it really just want you put into it? Should I suck it up and find a way to do X even though it's going to be really hard with the time I'm given?
Is an additional 30 minutes of working out really going to crunch your schedule that much?

You've made it 1/3 of the way through, I'd stick it out and make it work unless you absolutely can't. Part of doing P90X is sacrifice.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It's not a huge step down in intensity, honestly, but I think you might notice the difference more after a full month of P90X. Core Cardio and Cardio Intervals are arguably more challenging than Kenpo X in terms of cardio workouts (and probably Cardio X, although I haven't done that one myself), and Plyo Legs is no slouch even next to Plyo X. Still, I don't think the amount of time you'll save will really be worth it unless you also specifically want to get into something more cardio-centric. Since you've already done a full month, I'd say stick with P90X unless you REALLY need to cut back on workout time.

Going through the nutrition guide for P90X2. Wow, ok, there are definitely some changes, and enough where I just now went to the store and redid about 1/2 of my grocery. This will be interesting

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Time to try Chest and Back again for the first time in a month! Can't believe I'm starting phase 3. ope to see some decent increases on push-up reps...
Great workout. My biceps are burning, feels good :D First round, I basically obliterated my week 1 numbers and on most exercises even my week 3 numbers. I'm still embarrassingly unable to come close to the goals they set in the videos. But whatever. I'll take 10 decline push-ups (versus 2 a few weeks ago) and be proud of 'em.

I did mess up in that in my eagerness I totally burned myself out on round 1. Tony mentions something about pacing yourself halfway through the video because you don't want to be collapsing in round 2. Oops.
KuGsj.gif
Still, I feel hugely improved. Diamond push-ups are still the bane of my existence though. I do not understand how any can knock out 5 of these unmodified, let alone 30.

Feels good to target the abs again after that recovery week, too. Time to bring it every day :D

Nooooo ran out of chocolate milk and didn't realize it. No recovery drink and just finished Back and Biceps. Any ideas for a recovery drink/snack? :/

I don't have protein powder either.

Quick question...trying to schedule the purchase of pull-up assist and bands. I want to start X2 on Saturday, when do those two come in play? For the pull-up assist, I can use chair for now. For the bands, I think they aren't really necessary until phase 2 and particular with V sculpt. Is that right?

im on my 2nd week of the first month... this time around im doing hanging chair dips with the 2 chairs back to back....

looks like this and my feet never touch the floor
VUed7.jpg

(couldnt find a better random google image)

Just tried the rumble/cactus roller with the recovery/mobility dvd...

LOL

I didn't know what I was doing, so I just tried to follow the video as closely as I could. And it is like a deep massage, and it's highly versatile, seems like you can basically pace yourself as you target the hot spots

But oh man the infomericals after the workout...it's another level this time

vatstep

I enjoyed yoga much more the second time around. I think I was just more relaxed and able to appreciate it more — it really does help to clear your mind. It didn't feel as long, either. I can see myself having a greater appreciation for it as each week passes, although I'm still not sure if I'm crazy about doing it twice during recovery weeks.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So today was Recoveryand Mobility day on X2, but I decided to do that and Core Synergistics. Badass. Looks like my core and overall form have gotten a lot better. My numbers were higher on everything, specially with the pushups (35 stack foot pushups) and the hip-raise (20 each side).

Plank To Chaturanga ISO still killed me though.

Gumbie

vatstep said:
I enjoyed yoga much more the second time around. I think I was just more relaxed and able to appreciate it more — it really does help to clear your mind. It didn't feel as long, either. I can see myself having a greater appreciation for it as each week passes, although I'm still not sure if I'm crazy about doing it twice during recovery weeks.

I've been using the P90X one on one fountain of youth yoga as a substitute for P90X. It's 45 minutes long and Tony himself says it's a good substitute if you don't wanna do Yoga for an hour and a half.

Concerning changing my p90x plan...I think I'm just gonna suck it up and keep going. I went from 8 hours to 10-12 at work, but I know if I stick with it I'll be glad in the long run.

Quick question...trying to schedule the purchase of pull-up assist and bands. I want to start X2 on Saturday, when do those two come in play? For the pull-up assist, I can use chair for now. For the bands, I think they aren't really necessary until phase 2 and particular with V sculpt. Is that right?

V sculpt is the only workout that uses bands and that doesn't come until the second month. Even then it's up to you if you want to swap that workout in.

Pro tip on pull up assist. You don't need to buy one if you can fit your foot into the handle of your bands. Came home to my fiancé doing this. Swoon.

V sculpt is the only workout that uses bands and that doesn't come until the second month. Even then it's up to you if you want to swap that workout in.

Pro tip on pull up assist. You don't need to buy one if you can fit your foot into the handle of your bands. Came home to my fiancé doing this. Swoon.

What does your fiancé do with the other part of the bands, that needs to be on top where the pull up bar is?

And a fiancé that work out? I envy you

Top Bottom