• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

How does the Yoga in P90X2 compare to the yoga in p90x? I heard its 1 hour instead of 1 hour 30 which is a big plus for me as I only did the p90x yoga like 3 times because it was so long and I felt for my training purposes that it would be better spent on some other weight training or cardio.
But now I think its time to get back into yoga. Which one is better?

I really like X2 Yoga, as do many others on this board. The shorter time is definitely a plus but I feel the whole workout flows better in general than Yoga X. Yoga X is more intense tho. For me the intensity of X2 Yoga really goes down around the 40 minute mark.

X2 day 1! Here I come tumbling and stumbling!

Gonna get those shoes first

Nice! Good luck. Get ready for fire in the buttocks!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I also feel that the string of movements in Yoga X2 is much better than in the original. The flow is really great, and you'll start sweating after just a few minutes. It doesn't have some of the balance and ab moves because you'll be doing a ton of those in every other workout, specially during phase 1.

X2 day 1!

yay for feeling fresh again, and for having to learn and not knowing exactly what I am doing. Loved how I have somewhat enough core strength to at least do all the exercises, even if not all the reps. I liked all the accessories too. Foam/rumble roller has been talked about here, and it literally is a massage. Stability ball takes core exercises and stretching to a different level. There's a quad stretch using the stability ball - Oh, My, God. Then the medicine ball - the little plyo move knocked me out, and it was a nice addition to the Dreya Roll - holding a 8lb ball while doing it, fuck yeah

Plyocide tomorrow, gonna check out the dvd soon...

More motivation time. Maybe there is something to this P90 business. Maybe I'll use the rest of my student loan to subscribe :p

fFL72.png

from this guys YouTube page:

Here's my journey from before I began P90X in Sept 2010 thru last week (April 11, 2012) when my son was born. Thru a friend, I got on P90X & Shakeology. I also added Power90 & INSANITY along the way.

I started out at 426 & 6' 3". My pants were size 56. I had horrible eating habits & just joked about it instead of facing my challenges. Obstacles along the way? Lots. My doctor told us that because of my weight & build, we'd never be able have children. My mother-in-law was diagnosed w/ Leukemia in late 2010 & I was the one who would take her several times per week to Nashville for treatments & spend 8-10 hours there each time. I also (and still do) worked 3rd shift. But I was ready to change. It's been an amazing journey & if you need help, reach out to me.

For any doubters, note the tattoos. I added one on my chest after my mother-in-law passed away. But i've had the others on my arms ever since I was in my early 20's. They're in my final pix. :)

I hope to be in the running for the Beachbody Challenge's $100,000 grand prize this June.

If you are at a point in your life where you're sick & tired of being sick & tired, I can help you. www.richardneal.info

If you want to me to be your personal coach, click here: http://teambeachbody.com/signup/-/signup/free?referringRepId=55424

If you'd like to be a coach like me & help others, click here: https://teambeachbody.com/signup/-/signup/coach?referringRepId=55424

And if you'd like to get P90X, click here: http://teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/P90X?referringRepId=55424

Thanks for watching!! Pass it on!!

LaneDS

My p90x stuff finally arrived. Man there's a lot of reading on here. Kind of overwhelming.

Just do it one day at a time. Start with day one, it'll likely be tough, but just remember that the more you stick with it the more you'll see yourself improve. Ask lots of questions in here since everyone is supportive and we're all at a variety of fitness and familiarity levels. That cliched "do your best, forget the rest" saying is totally true.

I'm coming down with a cold, so of course today on my rest day I decided to do both x stretch and cardio x (first time for that) because I missed those eight days due to surgery (and I've not eaten well). Wise? Probably not! But I'm deadset on results. Almost 45 days into the program (well, minus eight missed) and can't wait to see what I'm looking and feeling like after 90/180/360 days.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey guys- I finally broke 160 (you know, on the way down) this morning, a barrier I haven't crossed since I was 20, which means I am the closest I have been to weighing what I'd like to in about 4 years. My scale seems to be pretty generous (it thinks I'm a little lighter than I am usually) but it read 157.0. Damn good feeling.

Hey guys- I finally broke 160 (you know, on the way down) this morning, a barrier I haven't crossed since I was 20, which means I am the closest I have been to weighing what I'd like to in about 4 years. My scale seems to be pretty generous (it thinks I'm a little lighter than I am usually) but it read 157.0. Damn good feeling.

*brofist* Now and go see your waist size!

Edit: Plyocide is pretty fun!

That's awesome man, great work.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well my bday weekend is now complete and i think I gained like 3 pounds. Its worth it to do once in a while though. :)

Now I return for my final 3 weeks of P90X2.

Correct me if I am wrong, it looks like P90X2 is far more flexible in terms of scheduling and not necessarily "90-day" per se, right?

If so, HP, I am trying your schedule as you recommended 3-6-3, but I might do 4-6-3, that's okay too, right?

So Im starting P90 today! So fucking psyched.

Quick question..

I ordered the Lean1 shake, is it ok to start using it as a supplement for a meal (mostly going to be my lunch) this early on (fat burner phase) or should I wait?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Correct me if I am wrong, it looks like P90X2 is far more flexible in terms of scheduling and not necessarily "90-day" per se, right?

If so, HP, I am trying your schedule as you recommended 3-6-3, but I might do 4-6-3, that's okay too, right?

You are correct. Most phases you can choose the amount of weeks to do. I wouldn't set a number before-hand though, I would get into each phase and decide after starting the specific phase. That way you'll be able to gauge if you need an extra week, or less time.

I'm doing close to the max on each. Phase 1 I did 5 weeks, 4 on 2, and most likely 5 on 3.

In other news, I gained 3 pounds over the bday weekend. Time to get back in gear...

Ya, you can go anywhere from 4-6 weeks for phases 1 and 2 and then 3 to 4 weeks for phase 3.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So Im starting P90 today! So fucking psyched.

Quick question..

I ordered the Lean1 shake, is it ok to start using it as a supplement for a meal (mostly going to be my lunch) this early on (fat burner phase) or should I wait?
The Lean1 shake isn't tied to P90X in any way. If you wanna start using it as a meal replacement right away, go for it! It's generally very nutritious and not at all a bad way to spend 200 calories, especially in lieu of a high-carb or high-fat lunch.

The Lean1 shake isn't tied to P90X in any way. If you wanna start using it as a meal replacement right away, go for it! It's generally very nutritious and not at all a bad way to spend 200 calories, especially in lieu of a high-carb or high-fat lunch.

Awesome thanks man. It's what I'm gonna start doing out of convienience because of my office job. Bought an extra blender so I can make them right at my desk. Hahaha.

ccbfan

Started week 3 yesterday.

The results are amazing. I was never fat to start with so I only lost like 5 pounds since I started but I'm definitely a lot less pudgy, smaller stomach and less man boobies. Can literally feel my muscles getting bigger and tighter.

I've been going pretty hardcore though. I do the standard routine plus Cardio X on all days except Plyo. I might stop Cardio X after phase 1 since I'm no really trying to lose more weight after that.

Is there any benefit to continue Cardio X? I'm 6 ft and 165. I have huge legs and a long upper body so my body frame isn't exactly the kind of being light weighted. Not sure if I need to lose much more weight after two more weeks of cardio-X.

Also been taking protein shakes (High protein to carb ratio kind. Like 25p/3c) after strength training. Its pretty close to my bed time though. Is this a good idea. Also thought about taking some in the morning.

The results are amazing. I was never fat to start with so I only lost like 5 pounds since I started but I'm definitely a lot less pudgy, smaller stomach and less man boobies. Can literally feel my muscles getting bigger and tighter.
I've been going pretty hardcore though. I do the standard routine plus Cardio X on all days except Plyo. I might stop Cardio X after phase 1 since I'm no really trying to lose more weight after that.

Is there any benefit to continue Cardio X? I'm 6 ft and 165. I have huge legs and a long upper body so my body frame isn't exactly the kind of being light weighted. Not sure if I need to lose much more weight after two more weeks of cardio-X.

Also been taking protein shakes (High protein to carb ratio kind. Like 25p/3c) after strength training. Its pretty close to my bed time though. Is this a good idea. Also thought about taking some in the morning.

This got me even more amped.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Awesome thanks man. It's what I'm gonna start doing out of convienience because of my office job. Bought an extra blender so I can make them right at my desk. Hahaha.
I'm using it quite the same way. Also check this out- great value if you want to make shakes on the go or when you have no blender access, though you do seem to have that covered :p http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KADGMI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Awesome. And yeah, though my goals obviously involve losing more weight than you want to, the biggest effect by far has been the general feeling of "tightening up" of every muscle group in my body. My upper body in particular- I'm still I look completely shrimpy compared to the majority in this thread, but I literally had NO muscle tone in my arms before starting and could not do a single successful pull-up.

If you're not trying to lose weight, there's really no reason to do the doubles routine like you are (unless you just want to be able to eat more calories every day). Cardio X is pure calorie burn, and while it's an efficient workout at 45 mins, it's not going to give you any strength gains at all, really. Though I will say that doing it with wrist/ankle weights is pretty intense and enjoyable- occasionally I'll do it instead of Kenpo or as a supplementary like you've been doing.

Well, I've read many times that it's best to consume most of your calories early in the day. But, having a recovery drink after your workout is pretty crucial no matter what time you do it. So rock on.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Had a crazy fucking day yesterday. My ex-girlfriend finally moved out after we broke up two months ago (and no, it wasn't that weird, actually... we've managed to stay friends), so I spent literally fourteen hours on my feet (I really did not sit down once, I was so hyper and motivated) purging and cleaning and making the apartment my own. SO, I missed only my second workout in ten months, but I don't feel terrible about it now. I kept convincing myself that I would do it when I was done, but once it got to be midnight, I just gave in. Probably burned a shit load of calories doing everything I did anyway.

It was supposed to be the start of Week 3, so I'll just push that to today and skip the rest day at the end of the week. It's actually pretty good timing that way, as I figure if you're gonna skip a rest day, it's probably best for it to come before a recovery week. I think I'll also do Cardio X in addition to Chest & Back today... I feel bad about some of the shit I ate yesterday. I know I had a good excuse, but still. :|

And this sounds insensitive, but the best thing about having the apartment to myself now is that I was able to move a bunch of my shit into the extra closet, including my old stationary bike. Now I've got a nice little setup with my weights, bands, etc. right where I do my workouts, whereas before I had to lug them all over the apartment whenever I needed them. It's the little things.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Had a crazy fucking day yesterday. My ex-girlfriend finally moved out after we broke up two months ago (and no, it wasn't that weird, actually... we've managed to stay friends), so I spent literally fourteen hours on my feet (I really did not sit down once, I was so hyper and motivated) purging and cleaning and making the apartment my own. SO, I missed only my second workout in ten months, but I don't feel terrible about it now. I kept convincing myself that I would do it when I was done, but once it got to be midnight, I just gave in. Probably burned a shit load of calories doing everything I did anyway.

It was supposed to be the start of Week 3, so I'll just push that to today and skip the rest day at the end of the week. It's actually pretty good timing that way, as I figure if you're gonna skip a rest day, it's probably best for it to come before a recovery week. I think I'll also do Cardio X in addition to Chest & Back today... I feel bad about some of the shit I ate yesterday. I know I had a good excuse, but still. :|
Dude I wouldn't even skip your rest day; or just do X Stretch or Cardio X on it. As you said you probably burned an enormous amount of calories yesterday. I can relate to how hectic that stuff can get (my ex-fiance moved out almost a year ago). Don't feel guilty when life gets in the way every once in a while. There's a difference between missing a workout once or twice and lacking commitment and I can tell you don't lack commitment. Your tone makes it seem a lot like you think you should punish yourself for missing a workout. But there's no need for all that. Just bring it extra hard this week. :)
It's the little things.
Haha, yeah, I've had the pull-up bar mounted on the door to my laundry room most days of the week for the last 3 months. Would have been moving it back and forth every workout if she was still living with me. Not something I had thought of til now, so thanks for that :lol

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Yeah, I tend to get a little obsessed when I feel like I might be on the verge of missing a workout — doing them really late, on days that were otherwise terrible and warrant missing one, etc. To be honest, the obsession with my routine (come home from work, work out, shower, lay on the couch, rinse, repeat) was a contributing factor to the break-up. I don't wanna get all LiveJournal, but I'm sure anyone doing these programs knows the dilemma of trying to work out six days a week and not let it get in the way of other stuff. I think most people manage it much better than I do, haha.

I'll heed your advice and give myself a break this time, though. :)

You are correct. Most phases you can choose the amount of weeks to do. I wouldn't set a number before-hand though, I would get into each phase and decide after starting the specific phase. That way you'll be able to gauge if you need an extra week, or less time.

I'm doing close to the max on each. Phase 1 I did 5 weeks, 4 on 2, and most likely 5 on 3.

In other news, I gained 3 pounds over the bday weekend. Time to get back in gear...

Ya, you can go anywhere from 4-6 weeks for phases 1 and 2 and then 3 to 4 weeks for phase 3.

Thanks! I really like X2 so far. Really different and a twist to almost every moves so far I have known in X.

Really like the stretching too. I think this has been mentioned before but I will rumble roll myself before I even put the DVD in. It is getting hotter now but it's awesome to work up a sweat just from it.

Oh, and I finally know who Collette is. !!!!!!

RiZ III

It can definitely be. Ask any questions, we are here to help. Hang in there!

Thanks! I'm wondering if I should be feeling hungry with this diet. Usually when I start working out, I start getting really hungry. I've been going to the gym regularly for the past few months and now I just started the p90x diet. I'm usually pretty hungry now. Is this to be expected?

Another thing, I work out in the morning right after I get up. So I was going to be combining the breakfast and post workout mean into one. That should be fine right?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Any suggestions for meal replacement bars, protein bars/shakes, and the like? What's the deal with this Shakeology stuff?

Thanks! I'm wondering if I should be feeling hungry with this diet. Usually when I start working out, I start getting really hungry. I've been going to the gym regularly for the past few months and now I just started the p90x diet. I'm usually pretty hungry now. Is this to be expected?

Another thing, I work out in the morning right after I get up. So I was going to be combining the breakfast and post workout mean into one. That should be fine right?

Hmm. This is just my experience. I wasn't hungry when I did P90X. I took pain to make sure I was really eating small meal every 2 to 2 hours. Make sure you are eating enough calories (calculate using the guide) and doing it consistently.

One common complaint and challenge about the fat shredder diet, if you are doing that, is that low carbs causes low energy. Otherwise I don't think you should be hungry

Are you going to workout before you eat breakfast in the morning? Depends on the food, I don't see any problem combining breakfast with post-workout meal as long as the food is healthy and you have a recovery drink. That is if you can sustain the workout on an empty stomach though. I can't :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Any suggestions for meal replacement bars, protein bars/shakes, and the like? What's the deal with this Shakeology stuff?
Shakeology is the best meal replacement shake on the market, with a great ratio of calories/nutritional value and protein-fat-carbs, but it's (in my humble opinion) absolutely prohibitively expensive.

What I'm using is this stuff called Lean1 by Nutrition53. It also has very good ingredients (not soy-based at all), a great nutritional profile, and tastes awesome (I can only vouch for the Vanilla Raspberry but it's yummy). It's not as nutritionally complete as Shakeology and has 50 more calories per serving, but you can be supplied for a month with it for less than half the price of a month of Shakeology. I definitely recommend it as a great way to replace one meal a day.

I am trying Shakeology. I personally like it as a meal replacement. It's nutritious and pretty filling. It is pricey (kind of, 119 a month = 4 dollars a day) and it's automatically re-newes every month.

Personally, you can get by without Shakeology. I am trying it because I am hoping it will better my results even more (just finished p90x)

Edit: what Hawkian said.

commish

Shakeology is the best meal replacement shake on the market, with a great ratio of calories/nutritional value and protein-fat-carbs, but it's (in my humble opinion) absolutely prohibitively expensive.

What I'm using is this stuff called Lean1 by Nutrition53. It also has very good ingredients (not soy-based at all), a great nutritional profile, and tastes awesome (I can only vouch for the Vanilla Raspberry but it's yummy). It's not as nutritionally complete as Shakeology and has 50 more calories per serving, but you can be supplied for a month with it for less than half the price of a month of Shakeology. I definitely recommend it as a great way to replace one meal a day.

Yeah, I'm seeing that Shakeology is so much money! Thanks for the tip re: Lean1. I'll look into it!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
:)

And yeah, I forgot to mention, both Shakeology and Lean1 have ingredients used for appetite suppression (specifically hoodia extract), so they feel very filling. Also each scoop of Lean1 is exactly 100 calories (a basic meal replacement serving is two scoops, so 200), which makes it very easy to calculate if you want a little more or less than usual for whatever reason.

If you're trying to lose weight while doing P90X, a good meal replacement shake is a great idea because it will give you a consistent chunk of calories every time you replace a meal without sacrificing nutrition. This both gives you a little more leeway than normal with your other meals of the day and also keeps you feeling full for a decent amount of time which reduces the urge to snack.

edit: By the way, I wouldn't recommend replacing more that one meal a day. Not that you said you wanted to, just in terms of getting balanced nutrition and enough caloric energy, it's better to stick to one.

vatstep

Tony is on Attack of the Show on G4 tonight for anyone who's interested. I don't have cable anymore, but I think they may upload some segments of the show later on, so it might end up online.

commish

:)

And yeah, I forgot to mention, both Shakeology and Lean1 have ingredients used for appetite suppression (specifically hoodia extract), so they feel very filling. Also each scoop of Lean1 is exactly 100 calories (a basic meal replacement serving is two scoops, so 200), which makes it very easy to calculate if you want a little more or less than usual for whatever reason.

If you're trying to lose weight while doing P90X, a good meal replacement shake is a great idea because it will give you a consistent chunk of calories every time you replace a meal without sacrificing nutrition. This both gives you a little more leeway than normal with your other meals of the day and also keeps you feeling full for a decent amount of time which reduces the urge to snack.

edit: By the way, I wouldn't recommend replacing more that one meal a day. Not that you said you wanted to, just in terms of getting balanced nutrition and enough caloric energy, it's better to stick to one.

Yeah, not trying to do it for weight loss purposes per se, but more along the lines of time saving purposes. I don't always have time to make anything, especially at work. That's always why I wanted to look into the bars as snacks.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
How critical is it to do a recovery week? I'm supposed to start week 4 today but my schedule is going to be all messed up anyway since I'm moving soon. I don't feel exhausted or super tired like I need a break

D23

How critical is it to do a recovery week? I'm supposed to start week 4 today but my schedule is going to be all messed up anyway since I'm moving soon. I don't feel exhausted or super tired like I need a break

pretty crucial, ur muscle needs some time to recover from the grueling 3 weeks of hard work.

Right, diet control.

As a starter, I'm 5'10, 189. Just fired up this morning, and have planned out a reasonable (i.e. not crippling) diet for the next three months. No more beer (save for a bachelor party that needs attending), cutting high fat, high salt, moving to higher protein. Not grabbing shakes or anything, however my recovery drink does consist of low fat chocolate milk.

My question for GAF P90Xers...have you found that the diet needs to be insanely strict, or do you just need to change the way you look at things? I have no problem rocking a high protein diet that is low in fat, carbs and sugary crap. My problem is that I am hungry as FUCK and am stuck thinking that I shouldn't eat. What say the forum?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Right, diet control.

As a starter, I'm 5'10, 189. Just fired up this morning, and have planned out a reasonable (i.e. not crippling) diet for the next three months. No more beer (save for a bachelor party that needs attending), cutting high fat, high salt, moving to higher protein. Not grabbing shakes or anything, however my recovery drink does consist of low fat chocolate milk.

My question for GAF P90Xers...have you found that the diet needs to be insanely strict, or do you just need to change the way you look at things? I have no problem rocking a high protein diet that is low in fat, carbs and sugary crap. My problem is that I am hungry as FUCK and am stuck thinking that I shouldn't eat. What say the forum?

#1 thing on diet: don't diet. :p

Meaning, don't participate in a diet (as a verb), change your diet. I have never followed the P90X/2 nutrition guides yet have done well each time. The key is to cut junk food down to once or twice a week (I limit myself to eating out once or twice a week) and just overall eat better foods.

Meals like baked chicken, roasted veggies, eggs, etc. are easy to make and very healthy. My dinners each week consist of 3 days eating chicken and veggies roasted in olive oil in the oven, and 2 days eating eggs/veggies/turkey sausage.

Just cut out the random spouts of junk food, drink more water/milk/coffee instead of pop, and eat more veggies and that will get you going just fine. :p

#1 thing on diet: don't diet. :p

Meaning, don't participate in a diet (as a verb), change your diet. I have never followed the P90X/2 nutrition guides yet have done well each time. The key is to cut junk food down to once or twice a week (I limit myself to eating out once or twice a week) and just overall eat better foods.

Meals like baked chicken, roasted veggies, eggs, etc. are easy to make and very healthy. My dinners each week consist of 3 days eating chicken and veggies roasted in olive oil in the oven, and 2 days eating eggs/veggies/turkey sausage.

Just cut out the random spouts of junk food, drink more water/milk/coffee instead of pop, and eat more veggies and that will get you going just fine. :p

You've just made my day. That's exactly what I've been planning to do. And God damn will that help keep me sane. I'm sore as shit, and the thought of not being able to eat my special chili once in awhile was heartbreaking. Cheers dude!

Thanks alot Omega. I was a bit nervous myself. Salmon and asparagus with wild rice tonight though after my first workout. Best/most healthy I've eaten in years. SO EXCITE.

I wish I could get salmon cheap in Iowa. All the pork you can eat in the midwest, but seafood is expensive!

Man, I'm luck to be a Boston kid then.

@ Jumping the Gun: Fuck YES asparagus! Can't wait to start grilling again. A wee bit of salt/pepper and olive oil drizzled is per-fucking-fection. I'm working out in the AM...4 is a bitch, but it'll be a much hotter bitch once I get the results I'm after. Which is to say in shape as an example for my children.

LaneDS

To those who were talking about doing cardio x every day in addition to the other workouts, would that include the cardio-centric days like plyo/kenpo/yoga? If so, that seems like... a lot. Going to try doing today's chest/arms/shoulders (or whatever the phase 2 day 1 workout is) followed by ab ripper and cardio x (maybe with 30 minutes break in between ab ripper and cardio) to see how I hold up.

Despite being sick yesterday, I managed cardio x, a 3 mile run, and x stretch and felt like I bested the cold somehow by pushing myself way harder than I normally would. Good feeling, that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
To those who were talking about doing cardio x every day in addition to the other workouts, would that include the cardio-centric days like plyo/kenpo/yoga? If so, that seems like... a lot. Going to try doing today's chest/arms/shoulders (or whatever the phase 2 day 1 workout is) followed by ab ripper and cardio x (maybe with 30 minutes break in between ab ripper and cardio) to see how I hold up.

Despite being sick yesterday, I managed cardio x, a 3 mile run, and x stretch and felt like I bested the cold somehow by pushing myself way harder than I normally would. Good feeling, that.
The official doubles schedule doesn't do this.
is8bI.png

edit: holy crap, just reread your post and you're planning to do Chest/Shoulders/Tris, Ab Ribber X, and Cardio X in the span of 2.5 hours?

commish

My powerblocks ordered!

So excited to start as soon as they come. I think tonight I'll try one of the cardio routines...

Top Bottom