• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

A good mat is useful for so much of these programs, whether it's for padding or just simply to have a surface you clean easily sweat on and clean off later (because you will sweat if you're doing these things right).

I grabbed one purely for the ab-ripper routine. So much nicer doing crunches on foam then it is on carpet or whatever. Definitely worth it.

Awesome, thanks guys!

Well I fucked up last night. Friends invited me out after work for drinks and I capitulated. Ended up getting half cocked on tequila, smoked a bowl and then ate three soft tacos from taco bell and a bag of popcorn, followed THEN by what I was only supposed to eat, swordfish and some greens. Damn munchies.

I feel pretty crappy and guilty about it today. The pot and the alcohol combo is definitley something that will set me back and break rules. Can't do that again. It's gotta either be one or the other when I go to socialize, or none at all.

So tonight Im doing Yoga. Im going out on my break and picking up a mat along with walking a few miles.

Friends suck when it comes to exercise. I became a hermit for the first 3 months of P90X. But allow yourself a cheat day once in a while. If you need to drink with friends buy spirits and have diet coke or orange juice with it.

And if the takeaway demons strike avoid food with lots of cheese and dough. There will always be a lighter option that sounds appealing, especially if you're drunk.

Friends suck when it comes to exercise. I became a hermit for the first 3 months of P90X. But allow yourself a cheat day once in a while. If you need to drink with friends buy spirits and have diet coke or orange juice with it.

And if the takeaway demons strike avoid food with lots of cheese and dough. There will always be a lighter option that sounds appealing, especially if you're drunk.

Vodka. Straight. Like this man.

w3SOc.jpg

Amirnol

For the dudes talking about munchie issues, I feel ya, but I've learned to cope with it. When I come home from work, I immediately do my workout, shower, hit the vape a bit, and cook dinner. I satisfy my munchies with dinner, and a salmon steak with brocoli is some delicious shit. Or instead of caving and eating nasty shit, go for something like berries, apple slices, cottage cheese (works for me!), or even a tasty protein bar if you haven't already had one that day.

I balance my weed and exercise incredibly well, and in many ways I use it as a reward for my hard work. It's a fantastic motivator! Just be disciplined about it.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I'm transitioning for a big move so I'm currently staying at my parent's house. I brought my Iron Gym along, but found to my dismay that all the doorways are way too narrow to use them. Anybody use a set of bands that they can recommend? Hopefully something that is good quality and sturdy because I have a phobia of these things snapping in my face

LaneDS

Thinking of that time notecard with "your comfort zone" and "where the magic happens" today. Woke up tired as shit on my day off because I told a co-worker I'd go bike riding with them, and I was sore everywhere. While I could have just wrote an e-mail and said "sorry, another time!" I manned up and went for a 22 mile ride instead. And now, 14 hours later, I am forcing myself to get my legs & back + ab ripper x workout in. Cannot flippin' wait for my rest day on Sunday because I have absolutely crushed my body this week.

Edit: I have no idea what a "time notecard" is or why I wrote that. My brain is sore too it seems.

LaneDS

22 miles?

I cringed

Hah, honestly the pace wasn't very fast since it was my first time out on my bike since I purchased it in December, so while some parts burned it didn't even come close to getting me sweating like any of the P90X workouts. Amazing how well-conditioned you can feel after even a short while of doing the program.

Currently taking 15-20 minutes between a very successful legs & back routine before doing ab ripper x... how does GAF feel about waiting a bit between the resistance workouts before doing ab ripper x? Generally I try and do it immediately after but sometimes, like tonight, I will wait a while. Is that acceptable or frowned upon?

Currently taking 15-20 minutes between a very successful legs & back routine before doing ab ripper x... how does GAF feel about waiting a bit between the resistance workouts before doing ab ripper x? Generally I try and do it immediately after but sometimes, like tonight, I will wait a while. Is that acceptable or frowned upon?

The problem I see with that is you are less likely to actual do it after time goes by. Distractions, tired, you name it. I actually do ab ripper before any exercise so I have no excuse to not do it. But by design it's meant to be right after (there is no warm up for it). Get's you while you're still warm.

LaneDS

The problem I see with that is you are less likely to actual do it after time goes by. Distractions, tired, you name it. I actually do ab ripper before any exercise so I have no excuse to not do it. But by design it's meant to be right after (there is no warm up for it). Get's you while you're still warm.

Roger, thanks; that makes sense. On that note, time to stop putting it off and get 'er done.

I do it before, because by the time I've finished the resistance part I really can't be arsed doing ab ripper too. However, I do an extra warm up.

I do ab ripper x after the workout and I'm dead by that point so I half ass it. Even half assing it I'm still seeing results so just do it whenever I say.

This first go around at P90X was really not about going hardcore and getting ripped for me. It was about getting my lazy ass moving and into a routine that hopefully I maintain for the rest of my life. I can't wait to start my second round immediately after the first ends. I'll be bringing it way harder the next time.

Side note: I really have to smack myself in the face after a workout so I don't chug my recovery drink. Chocolate milk after a workout tastes so f'ing good. Lol.

RiZ III

Has been only 5 days and I already lost 3.5 pounds. Down from 157.5. Mostly from the eating well I would think. Usually I have a pretty big lunch and dinner, that's totally gone.

I do ab ripper x after the workout and I'm dead by that point so I half ass it. Even half assing it I'm still seeing results so just do it whenever I say.

This first go around at P90X was really not about going hardcore and getting ripped for me. It was about getting my lazy ass moving and into a routine that hopefully I maintain for the rest of my life. I can't wait to start my second round immediately after the first ends. I'll be bringing it way harder the next time.

Side note: I really have to smack myself in the face after a workout so I don't chug my recovery drink. Chocolate milk after a workout tastes so f'ing good. Lol.

Absolutely! The routing part is hard. Learning the form is hard. Fantasizing about the recovery drink makes me hard.

Has been only 5 days and I already lost 3.5 pounds. Down from 157.5. Mostly from the eating well I would think. Usually I have a pretty big lunch and dinner, that's totally gone.

Great job! Eating well is so important

2nd week of p90X/, I have gone from "oh two recovery days? Psssh" to "thank god!"

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just finished my X2 Base and Back and X2 Ab Ripper X.

Whereas Legs and Back burns your legs, Back and Base sucks all the energy out of you. That combo of back exercises + plyometrics is great.

Oh, gotta say, I'm absolutely loving my P90X 2 results. Looking at the mirror, I have more definition than ever before (six pack, here I come), but more importantly, fitness wise I feel awesome. I feel way more resistant, I don't feel as sore after a workout anymore, and my stamina seems to be getting better.

What an awesome program.

Ugh, my cardio fitness is shot to shit since my back injury. It's pretty much back to where it was when I started P90X. So fucked up. =/

grumble

Ugh, my cardio fitness is shot to shit since my back injury. It's pretty much back to where it was when I started P90X. So fucked up. =/

Cardio goes up fast and collapses quickly. It's irritating. You don't lose it all, but you can lose a lot of it. Comes back fast though.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Man, I've had a hell of a week. Had to push back Chest & Back a day due to craziness earlier in the week, which meant no rest day yesterday like usual. Did Legs & Back + Ab Ripper X Friday, and Kenpo X yesterday in the span of about ten hours due to an extremely late night plus early start the next morning, on about 2.5 hours of sleep (add to that the fact that I didn't get more than about four hours of sleep any night this past week) and somehow made it through the rest of a pretty active day. I finally crashed early (for me anyway) last night and managed to sleep like ten hours, which is the longest I've slept in a long, long time (my body doesn't let me sleep late anymore). Felt good, though.

Today I start my recovery week, so it's not so bad that I had to skip my rest day. Looking forward to trying Core Synergistics. A bunch of the moves are familiar to me, but I see some in there that sound interesting. :)

KingGondo

Banned
Finishing my 3rd week today as well, and it's been going great so far. I can tell a difference in my body already, even though I'm realizing that the emphasis of P90X (even the lean program) isn't weight loss. I've trimmed a few pounds, but I'm gonna have to get back into a running regimen after the program is done to get to my target weight.

Haven't missed a day yet, and my diet changes have stuck pretty well (although I'm not following the P90X diet guide).

Looking forward to my recovery week.

I can tell a difference in my body already, even though I'm realizing that the emphasis of P90X (even the lean program) isn't weight loss.
Whilst it's not it's emphasis, if you stick to the nutrition plan you should lose around 1lb a week on P90X. I personally wouldn't want to go much higher than that so as to keep it sustainable.

KingGondo

Banned
Whilst it's not it's emphasis, if you stick to the nutrition plan you should lose around 1lb a week on P90X. I personally wouldn't want to go much higher than that so as to keep it sustainable.
That's about where I've been at, and that's simply by following the program and cutting back on my vices, especially beer.

Don't get me wrong, more is obviously possible (my missus is losing twice that) but obviously that'll vary from person to person based on metabolism / effort in the routines and whatnot.

LaneDS

Man, I've had a hell of a week. Had to push back Chest & Back a day due to craziness earlier in the week, which meant no rest day yesterday like usual. Did Legs & Back + Ab Ripper X Friday, and Kenpo X yesterday in the span of about ten hours due to an extremely late night plus early start the next morning, on about 2.5 hours of sleep (add to that the fact that I didn't get more than about four hours of sleep any night this past week) and somehow made it through the rest of a pretty active day. I finally crashed early (for me anyway) last night and managed to sleep like ten hours, which is the longest I've slept in a long, long time (my body doesn't let me sleep late anymore). Felt good, though.

Today I start my recovery week, so it's not so bad that I had to skip my rest day. Looking forward to trying Core Synergistics. A bunch of the moves are familiar to me, but I see some in there that sound interesting. :)

KingGondo said:
Finishing my 3rd week today as well, and it's been going great so far. I can tell a difference in my body already, even though I'm realizing that the emphasis of P90X (even the lean program) isn't weight loss. I've trimmed a few pounds, but I'm gonna have to get back into a running regimen after the program is done to get to my target weight.

Haven't missed a day yet, and my diet changes have stuck pretty well (although I'm not following the P90X diet guide).

Looking forward to my recovery week.

Nice, I like that we're on pretty much the same schedule, only different phases. Yesterday was my kenpo day (I threw in yoga x2 as well... which was difficult) and today is a glorious rest day.

Good luck with core! It's brutal. I think it exhausted me more than any other workout, but I seem to think that after many workouts.

KingGondo

Banned
Don't get me wrong, more is obviously possible (my missus is losing twice that) but obviously that'll vary from person to person based on metabolism / effort in the routines and whatnot.
Yeah, I hear ya. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my results so far.

I feel much better, period. And that's the most important thing.

I just wish I could have got through it without fucking myself up. I was progressing really well (and starting to look really good) but now I'd say I'm back to around where I was at day 45.

I'm trying to bring it for the last week (I'm away for three weeks after that) but I'm still not 100% and I'm pretty scared of tweaking anything again.

KingGondo

Banned
I just wish I could have got through it without fucking myself up. I was progressing really well (and starting to look really good) but now I'd say I'm back to around where I was at day 45.

I'm trying to bring it for the last week (I'm away for three weeks after that) but I'm still not 100% and I'm pretty scared of tweaking anything again.
Just keep on pushing and listen to your body.

Feeling bad about injury/setbacks will only make it harder moving forward.

Keep your chin up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hoo this weekend wasn't so great. My dad's 70th birthday party was all day yesterday... was more out of control than you might think.

Social pressure :(

Classmates wouldn't let me not eat out with them, so I went for Panda Express again. Ordered the wrong food that resulted more calories and sodium than I wanted

Punishment? Doing Ab Ripper X

Hoo this weekend wasn't so great. My dad's 70th birthday party was all day yesterday... was more out of control than you might think.

I hear that. Saturday night at that graduation dinner for my homie...I got a mudslide for shits/giggles, and it was at PF Changs, so the food wasn't exactly boss. Felt that this AM on Chest and back, and decided to do AbX later tonight. Felt like I was about to hurl.

And here's another question for P90XGAF...I got some mats (my son used to use a bunch of 2x2 foam mats that are great for traction) and used them this AM. They were FANTASTIC for warmups and pushups, and I was able to do way more than last week. The question is regarding the burn...I don't hurt like I did last week. I feel it, but I don't hurt. I know that I could have pushed myself harder this AM, but I stuck with everything until form failed, then chllled for a sec. Anyone else ever experience anything like this?

Week one, down. Just 11 left!

LaneDS

I hear that. Saturday night at that graduation dinner for my homie...I got a mudslide for shits/giggles, and it was at PF Changs, so the food wasn't exactly boss. Felt that this AM on Chest and back, and decided to do AbX later tonight. Felt like I was about to hurl.

And here's another question for P90XGAF...I got some mats (my son used to use a bunch of 2x2 foam mats that are great for traction) and used them this AM. They were FANTASTIC for warmups and pushups, and I was able to do way more than last week. The question is regarding the burn...I don't hurt like I did last week. I feel it, but I don't hurt. I know that I could have pushed myself harder this AM, but I stuck with everything until form failed, then chllled for a sec. Anyone else ever experience anything like this?

Sounds pretty normal to me... most people seem to report high levels of soreness and even pain week 1 and then it tails off a lot until probably phase 2 starts.

I never really got it again after the first couple of weeks were done with. I imagine that had a lot to do with the Yoga X and X-Stretch.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Yep, that's how you're supposed to feel. Week 1 of Phase 2 will humble you again but to a lesser extent. Your body is getting stronger rapidly.

My punishment for a rather unsavory weekend was an extra half-round of back and biceps yesterday. I expected to be sore but really my arms just feel strong as hell at the moment. I want to go lift a boulder or something.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Thinking about making this my last week of X2. I have done 3 full weeks and 1 half week of phase 3 and am ready to move onto something new.

Was thinking of starting Insanity next, which scares me, even with X1/2 under my belt. :p

LaneDS

Thinking about making this my last week of X2. I have done 3 full weeks and 1 half week of phase 3 and am ready to move onto something new.

Was thinking of starting Insanity next, which scares me, even with X1/2 under my belt. :p

Good luck if you try Insanity! Looks tough.

Unrelated, but could you throw in the P90X recovery week schedule into your OP please?

Even more unrelated, but I'm having odd tightness on the right side of my chest today (moreso than previous days where it's noticeable). No other symptoms, and I can workout just fine, so I'm hoping it's just soreness or something from overdoing it the past week. If I die, y'all can have my stuff.

LaneDS

I can add it, do you happen to have it somewhere? I can't remember the exact schedule.

Day 1 – Yoga X

Day 2 – Core Synergistics

Day 3 – Kenpo X

Day 4 – X Stretch

Day 5 – Core Synergistics

Day 6 – Yoga X

Day 7 – Rest or X Stretch

So sayeth Google.

Edit: Thanks!

What is worse, missing one workout or messing up on one meal? I think I'm just mindfucking myself over the poor choice I made yesterday with food, but as of now I'm leaning towards the diet

What is worse, missing one workout or messing up on one meal? I think I'm just mindfucking myself over the poor choice I made yesterday with food, but as of now I'm leaning towards the diet

I might just be a rookie, but I'd say missing a workout. Calorie burns and keeping your metabolism going will burn more of that meal than missing a workout, but it would all depend on the content of the meal, yeah?

I might just be a rookie, but I'd say missing a workout. Calorie burns and keeping your metabolism going will burn more of that meal than missing a workout, but it would all depend on the content of the meal, yeah?

Lol oh yea, i just thought maybe missing a workout at least you are not putting fats abd sodium into your body. but here help me feel better!

I had Panda Express

1) Mixed veggies
2) Kun Pao chicken
3) green bean chicken

:(

Lol oh yea, i just thought maybe missing a workout at least you are not putting fats abd sodium into your body. but here help me feel better!

I had Panda Express

1) Mixed veggies
2) Kun Pao chicken
3) green bean chicken

:(

PF Changs kung pao chicken here. Not much else, but damn...it was a tasty experience that I paid for.

Seriously. That's all I could think of when I ordered lol

I do this a lot: ordering wrong kinds of food because I somehow convinced myself that "it isn't that bad" FFS

Btw you are doing great in yoga

Top Bottom