• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For all you beer lovers, try replacing it with some healthier medical marijuana.. if you're into that type of stuff. Goes great with late night chilling in front of tv watching movies, shows, video games etc. but you may get the munchies depending on strain of weed/type of smoker you are.
I have attempted this a few times, but have been unable to reliably suppress the munchies to an acceptable extent and thus it is counter-intuitive. It's a pity, because I prefer the effects in every other way and obviously it doesn't cost any calories :p

BobDylan

So I started the workout this week. cutting out some of the cardio as im looking not to really lose weight but put on a few pounds and get cut. I have been trying to consume a lot more calories and I feel pretty good so far. Ive put on a few pounds already and holy fuck am I sore. Ive had a tough time completing some of the exercises but im always dripping sweat about 30 minutes into every workout. I never sweat the point where it drips off my face so I know this is pushing me. wall sits will be the end of me. I weighed in at around 140 and earlier today I was 150. my weight fluctuates a lot between 137-145 but I never hit the 150 mark. My biggest goal is to just be in good shape by the end of this and put on a little muscle. Cant wait to be about a month into this.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wall squats always get me dripping sweat if I'm not already by that point. Killer.

Chest/Shoulders/Tris killed me tonight. I think it's mostly because I upped the weight on my bands for this workout for the first time, but I had to modify all over the place and did fewer reps than last time on a few. Feels bad :( Hope to do much better on the last one of these.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
starting yoga X2, this better live up to your hype Hawkian, or I am coming to your house and make you do Yoga X again
KuGsj.gif
Well do you outright hate Yoga? I actually like it to begin with, so I can't guarantee you'll like it.

Certainly is more bearable than X though.

KuGsj.gif
Well do you outright hate Yoga? I actually like it to begin with, so I can't guarantee you'll like it.

Certainly is more bearable than X though.

I enjoyed yoga X a lot. The vocal minority. It used to irk me a lot to see people go "oh man 90 minutes! I quit!"

Ok, just finished it. Hard to say because it is my first time and I am learning all the moves. The pace is way faster, way way faster. Not quiet sure what to make of it. part of me wants to say yoga X is more intense, but part of me disagrees. I will say though it felt like a 30 minutes workout instead of 60

oh and that yogi bicycle? my abs hurt like crazy

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I enjoyed yoga X a lot. The vocal minority. It used to irk me a lot to see people go "oh man 90 minutes! I quit!"

Ok, just finished it. Hard to say because it is my first time and I am learning all the moves. The pace is way faster, way way faster. Not quiet sure what to make of it. part of me wants to say yoga X is more intense, but part of me disagrees. I will say though it felt like a 30 minutes workout instead of 60

oh and that yogi bicycle? my abs hurt like crazy

LOVE them.

But, what impressed me about it most was how much faster it feels than X, even though it's only a half hour less.

I hear you on Yoga X. It is a very good workout but it is just too long for me. Getting through the moving asanas alone is a great workout, and the balance poses get incredibly difficult. I do it sometimes on weekends, just can't on work nights, and yoga doesn't really fall for me on weekends during my schedule.

Anth0ny

Just finished week 1, and it's as painful as I remember it. Needed to pause Chest and Back and Plyo to get through it, hopefully this won't be the case week 2.

I felt sore just about everywhere the day after Yoga, especially my legs. I've been doing curls and pushups here and there, but really no leg workouts since I stopped going to the gym late last year. So yeah, ouch.

The diet has been going really well so far, and I'm feeling pretty confident :)

LOVE them.

But, what impressed me about it most was how much faster it feels than X, even though it's only a half hour less.

I hear you on Yoga X. It is a very good workout but it is just too long for me. Getting through the moving asanas alone is a great workout, and the balance poses get incredibly difficult. I do it sometimes on weekends, just can't on work nights, and yoga doesn't really fall for me on weekends during my schedule.

Yea it's really really fast. It feels more like a truer "recovery" workout than the overkill of yoga X, and if thats true I suspect it's because of different focus of p90x2 and how much core it focuses on even during regular workouts

I will say due to having to learn new moves and adjust new diet again, now I feel kind of burnt out mentally at this beginning stage of p90x2. Patience I suppose...

You'll like this, I'm planning on doing Yoga X on my wedding day. I reckon it'll tighten everything up nicely and it'll be just enough to keep my mind of all of the nightmare (maybe).

...and I originally HATED it. Still not a massive fan, but I can see its uses.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Did my first P90X workout yesterday - plyo. My dumbbells are still in transit :\ God it's hard, and lawdy my legs hurt today. Love Tony though.

I tried my first protein bar today. DO NOT WANT. These things taste bad. I had Clif Builder's Bar, Chocolate and Peanut Butter, or something like that. I definitely wasn't a fan. I had to wash it down with a banana and some coffee.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I tried my first protein bar today. DO NOT WANT. These things taste bad. I had Clif Builder's Bar, Chocolate and Peanut Butter, or something like that. I definitely wasn't a fan. I had to wash it down with a banana and some coffee.

I've ordered 4 boxes of Clif Builder's Bar from Amazon, all different flavors and all are quite tasty to me. Eating plain Greek yogurt is a different story though. I gotta force that stuff down

I still don't love Yoga X, but it's getting better. The absolute best part is the end with the corpse pose. I've actually dozed off there, so relaxing =D

I've ordered 4 boxes of Clif Builder's Bar from Amazon, all different flavors and all are quite tasty to me. Eating plain Greek yogurt is a different story though. I gotta force that stuff down

I quite like plain greek yoghurt. Total 0% is the stuff I buy, tis tangy.

I only really like the chocolate builders bars, though in the UK we only really have access to three flavours (mint, chocolate, peanut butter).

commish

I still don't love Yoga X, but it's getting better. The absolute best part is the end with the corpse pose. I've actually dozed off there, so relaxing =D

I have some chocolate as well, gonna try those next.

Worked on back and shoulders last night for the first time and practically made it through the whole thing! It was quite fun actually. I swam all through high school and always enjoyed doing shoulder presses and such so this really felt good. finished off with some delicious grilled chicken and some greens. Thing is, I mustve been woken up by the pain in my triceps, biceps and forearms about a dozen times last night. I twas a good pain though and truth be told I really didnt give a shit =P

The Lean1 Cookies n Cream came in today and I went home on my break and had a glass for lunch. It was DELICIOUS. The scoop is rather large and since I'm using two, Im sure Ill go through it quick using it 5 days a week.

Question on Yoga for tonight. Is it really nessecary? Will it give me the same feeling as the past workouts? Does it burn anything? If not, I was thinking about replacing it with the Cardio X.

Question on Yoga for tonight. Is it really nessecary? Will it give me the same feeling as the past workouts? Does it burn anything? If not, I was thinking about replacing it with the Cardio X.

In ways it'll give you more than any of the other workouts... and it'll kick your arse more than Cardio X (unless you're some sort of floppy limbed genetic freak).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Worked on back and shoulders last night for the first time and practically made it through the whole thing! It was quite fun actually. I swam all through high school and always enjoyed doing shoulder presses and such so this really felt good. finished off with some delicious grilled chicken and some greens. Thing is, I mustve been woken up by the pain in my triceps, biceps and forearms about a dozen times last night. I twas a good pain though and truth be told I really didnt give a shit =P

The Lean1 Cookies n Cream came in today and I went home on my break and had a glass for lunch. It was DELICIOUS. The scoop is rather large and since I'm using two, Im sure Ill go through it quick using it 5 days a week.
Score. Gonna make that my next flavor. Did you mix with milk or just water?

And about the servings- using it only 5 days a week, one tub will last you 3 weeks with two scoops a day. So it'll be roughly ~$40 a month for you if you keep it up. Not too shabby.

mmm... yes, it's necessary. Actually, I'm gonna make that a Hell Yes. It's different than all the other workouts, but it is NOT easy. You will sweat probably more than any other workout except perhaps plyo, and that includes Cardio X.

In my opinion, Kenpo is a much better candidate to replace with Cardio X if you're looking to do that on a given day or are pressed for time. Since they don't really capitalize on the self-defense aspect, it's just a cardio workout, and Cardio X includes some Kenpo combinations. Both are great with either wrist or ankle weights.

Yoga on the other hand works flexibility, balance, core strength, and has really seriously legitimately real mental and psychological benefits.

I would however, recommend that after you do Yoga X once (which you should), you look into trying Yoga X2, which I vastly prefer as part of a weekly routine.

Sounds good. Yoga tonight it is then. And the Lean1 I mixed with cold water and it was awesome. The price isnt too bad. I ordered the 2lb tub off Amazon and with shipping it was 44 bucks.

commish

Score. Gonna make that my next flavor. Did you mix with milk or just water?

And about the servings- using it only 5 days a week, one tub will last you 3 weeks with two scoops a day. So it'll be roughly ~$40 a month for you if you keep it up. Not too shabby.

What do you use yours for? Meal replacement? What do you add?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What do you use yours for? Meal replacement? What do you add?
Meal replacement and meal replacement only (and not every day- typically when I am in a rush and can't cook up some eggs), and I add nothing but cold water and shake it up in a BlenderBottle (or blend with ice if I'm home). Satisfaction in a glass.

Sounds good. Yoga tonight it is then. And the Lean1 I mixed with cold water and it was awesome. The price isnt too bad. I ordered the 2lb tub off Amazon and with shipping it was 44 bucks.
Ooooh man you gotta get Amazon Prime- free two day shipping on anything. With all the stuff I've ordered from them since starting P90X alone it's paid for itself. The Cookies and Cream looks like it's a little more expensive for whatever reason, but my tub was $26 shipped :D

Meal replacement and meal replacement only (and not every day- typically when I am in a rush and can't cook up some eggs), and I add nothing but cold water and shake it up in a BlenderBottle (or blend with ice if I'm home). Satisfaction in a glass.

Ooooh man you gotta get Amazon Prime- free two day shipping on anything. With all the stuff I've ordered from them since starting P90X alone it's paid for itself. The Cookies and Cream looks like it's a little more expensive for whatever reason, but my tub was $26 shipped :D

Haha I was on Prime (so good) but I havent renewed yet ( ._.)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My subscription lapsed when the person whose guest I was canceled without telling me, and I had to switch to my parents' account.

Those two days when I didn't have Amazon Prime made me feel like I was starving alone in the wilderness with my last drops of fresh water about to evaporate. Never again.

GCNemesis

Didn't think I had a rough weekend in terms of my diet, but the scale on Monday said otherwise, so it's been an overdrive type of week. Did Insanity Pure Cardio, PAP Upper (Wayne? WAYYYYNE?) and ABX2 on Tuesday, Yoga X2 yesterday and Insanity Max Interval Conditioning (with Recovery & Mobility this evening) today. I'm going to spend some precious, extended time with that foam roller tonight.

My feet are on fire, but that may be because I'm doing these moves in running shoes. What kind of footwear is everyone using? I know I should get a pair of tennis shoes (and maybe some anti-blister socks) to help the fire I'm feeling from these lateral movements.

"DO YOGA. NO QUESTIONS." should be put in the original post :p It's really important to allow your body to "relax" and stretch through Yoga as it helps further your progress in other routines.

commish

It's true, Prime is NECESSARY. It really does save you money on the long run, at least for me, since I order a ton from Amazon.

Didn't think I had a rough weekend in terms of my diet, but the scale on Monday said otherwise, so it's been an overdrive type of week. Did Insanity Pure Cardio, PAP Upper (Wayne? WAYYYYNE?) and ABX2 on Tuesday, Yoga X2 yesterday and Insanity Max Interval Conditioning (with Recovery & Mobility this evening) today. I'm going to spend some precious, extended time with that foam roller tonight.

My feet are on fire, but that may be because I'm doing these moves in running shoes. What kind of footwear is everyone using? I know I should get a pair of tennis shoes (and maybe some anti-blister socks) to help the fire I'm feeling from these lateral movements.

"DO YOGA. NO QUESTIONS." should be put in the original post :p It's really impoprtant to allow your body to "relax" and stretch through Yoga as it helps further your progress in other routines.

YOU'RE HOLDING UP AMERICA WAAAAYNE. Your week sounds kinda like mine. Pure cardio Monday, core synergistics Tue, Max interval circuit Wed, Core synergistics tonight. I'd reccomend cross trainers. Let me find the ones I have.

EDIT:

Asics Gel Plexus
asc.s118n.5001.jpg

Check out Zappos. Great site.

God dammit. I'm still sore. In my legs. And legs/back is tomorrow.

Odd thing...my left arm is stronger than my right thanks to the fact that I've carried my son in the left almost exclusively for 2 1/2 years. Doing arms last night, my left burned more than my right though.

Tonight is Yoga. I have never done Yoga before. I expect pain.

D23

God dammit. I'm still sore. In my legs. And legs/back is tomorrow.

Odd thing...my left arm is stronger than my right thanks to the fact that I've carried my son in the left almost exclusively for 2 1/2 years. Doing arms last night, my left burned more than my right though.

Tonight is Yoga. I have never done Yoga before. I expect pain.

get ready to be drenched in sweat! but ur gonna feel so good afterward

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I have yoga tonight as well. It always seems to fall on the worst night of the week, when I have other shit to do. It's not really that much longer than the other workouts, but it feels like it is.

It's the end of the work week for me (four day weekend!), so it'll be good to relax and clear my mind.

Any recommendations on when to not eat before Yoga? I eat lunch, then maybe a snack at three, but don't get to work out until 8:30, as my son crashes at 8. So last night I ate dinner at 10, which sucked.

Going to shift to AM exercises next week, but what's the general understanding on time to wait before working out? An hour or two?

And big ups for the Yoga tips. Looking forward to getting my ass kicked again.

I'm good with working out an hour after eating. It varies person to person though. I work out around 4 and I eat dinner pretty much right after.

I would however, recommend that after you do Yoga X once (which you should), you look into trying Yoga X2, which I vastly prefer as part of a weekly routine.

After trying yoga x2 instead of yoga x I'm going to have to disagree with this. The only thing I would say that yoga x2 has over the original yoga is that it's sorter, but that can be fixed by skipping the balance portion of yoga x. X is much more intense than x2 and has a better flow to it than x2, so long as you cut out the (what I feel is) unnecessary balance section.

An hour to an hour 1/2 for me. Really depends how you feel. Omega, if yoga starts to get boring, pause it and go turn on your favorite show or movie, then come back. The workout will be much more enjoyable

After trying yoga x2 instead of yoga x I'm going to have to disagree with this. The only thing I would say that yoga x2 has over the original yoga is that it's sorter, but that can be fixed by skipping the balance portion of yoga x. X is much more intense than x2 and has a better flow to it than x2, so long as you cut out the (what I feel is) unnecessary balance section

I agree. I really think its a different focus of the two programs. And I actually welcomed yoga X in its entirety because it is such a mental acrobatics to go through it. I do find the balance section necessary since its about flexibility and core strength.

But nevertheless X2 yoga went by really fast for me. The only thing I really miss is that I feel I won't get to work on my stretching as much as yoga X

Word. I'll just power through it though...pretty sure I'll be starvin' Marvin by 10 tonight. Guess I'll hit up that powerbar of mine at around 6 and see how that holds me over.

Tuna salad for dinner again and that's RIGHT after workout. If it weren't for Old Bay, man....

GCNemesis

YOU'RE HOLDING UP AMERICA WAAAAYNE. Your week sounds kinda like mine. Pure cardio Monday, core synergistics Tue, Max interval circuit Wed, Core synergistics tonight. I'd reccomend cross trainers. Let me find the ones I have.

EDIT:
Asics Gel Plexus
Check out Zappos. Great site.

Big Zappos and Asics fan. I looked up that model and only got women's shoes :( Found these though that seem pretty good. Thanks for the tip!

Big Zappos and Asics fan. I looked up that model and only got women's shoes :( Found these though that seem pretty good. Thanks for the tip!

Ah ok, they must not be available on zappos anymore. Those ones you linked to look cool. Ya, I really like Asics. I have a pair of their running shoes also. Nimbus'. I'll let you guess why I picked them ;)

KingGondo

Banned
YES. Given that my son turns in at 8, and my wife crashes at 8:30, it was always me, beer, crap food, and games.

Feels a bit smarter to work out, and I'll treat myself to a shitty pee flavored low calorie beer after I finish mowing my lawn or something. Or I'll just have water. Probably the latter.
Missed your reply until now, but I know exactly how it is. My wife goes to bed before me too, so there's nobody except my own willpower to tell me "no."

A huge factor for me has been my love of sparkling mineral water--I've been going through tons of the Whole Foods brand. It's still cold and refreshing, and it really cuts down on the temptation to cheat. Besides, the last thing I want after completing Legs and Back is a beer. :)

I still drink beer, but I limit it to 2 at a time, just a couple of times a week. But I don't drink swill. If I'm gonna limit myself, I'm gonna have a Unibroue or Left Hand and enjoy the holy hell out of it. :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
After trying yoga x2 instead of yoga x I'm going to have to disagree with this. The only thing I would say that yoga x2 has over the original yoga is that it's sorter, but that can be fixed by skipping the balance portion of yoga x. X is much more intense than x2 and has a better flow to it than x2, so long as you cut out the (what I feel is) unnecessary balance section.
Well, if you cut out the balance section of Yoga X it becomes the shortest workout, even shorter than Cardio X by a minute, I believe, but it's essentially only half a workout. While the moving asanas are a great calorie burn and you can get strength gains from every single vinyasa, the balance poses hit your core and help a ton with flexibility. There's a reason the balance poses are included and X2 includes them within the span of 1:05. Also, I think X2 in addition to being a half hour shorter, feels much shorter because it's faster-paced and includes more variation, as well as moves of a higher maximum difficulty (though you don't perform/hold them as long). It also encourages balance to just as effective a degree as the balance poses from X with all of the continuous moves starting from Warrior Three. Finally, it also has a section for ab focus including one of my favorite exercises, the yogi bicycle.

In summary, if you compare Yoga X to X2, they each have pros and cons, but I generally prefer X2 because of its actual length, perceived length, flow, and ab focus. Yoga X is absolutely more relaxing and contemplative, and forces you to hold uncomfortable positions for longer, which makes a big impact on flexibility. It's great if you have the time for it, really, I just rejected it at first because of its time requirements compared to the others.
I agree. I really think its a different focus of the two programs. And I actually welcomed yoga X in its entirety because it is such a mental acrobatics to go through it. I do find the balance section necessary since its about flexibility and core strength.
Ha! I didn't see this, we made a number of the same points.

What you shouldn't be doing is comparing Yoga X without the balance poses portion to X2, as that is comparing half a workout to a full, if condensed, workout.

I usually save my bar as the pre-workout snack to make sure I get enough energy. Good luck tonight man

Thanks man, this should be fun. Has been so far, even if my body is on fire.

@KingGondo - Yeah, there will not be any crap beer taking place. Sam is about the lowest I go, and normally I drink Guinness. Pretty sure I'll be perusing the fine beer section at the local Kappy's if I need anything, but I'll try to keep off until 'til this bachelor party a month and a half from now.

God damn I can't wait until this thing starts to work. I want to get addicted to it. Badly.

Thanks man, this should be fun. Has been so far, even if my body is on fire.

@KingGondo - Yeah, there will not be any crap beer taking place. Sam is about the lowest I go, and normally I drink Guinness. Pretty sure I'll be perusing the fine beer section at the local Kappy's if I need anything, but I'll try to keep off until 'til this bachelor party a month and a half from now.

God damn I can't wait until this thing starts to work. I want to get addicted to it. Badly.

Guinness isn't actually a bad choice if you're looking for that beer fix. Calories aren't much higher than some of the piss light beers out there and it has a higher alcohol percentage.

Top Bottom