• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

LaneDS

Why not try Insanity? Apartment living?

Exactly that. On the fourth floor. Moving in September, and P90X (or Insanity) is one of my chief criteria for where I end up. Likely giving up the luxury of being on the top floor of a building so I can stomp around on the ground floor until my heart's content.

One more round of P90X (or X2) until my move, then I'll do Insanity come September and be a beast by the holidays.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lane: We're about to switch roles it seems :p I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm just about done losing weight (flirting with 150 on the scale for about a week), just want to get rid of this last stubborn-ass bit of my gut. I'm going to be looking almost exclusively at bulking up a little and putting on muscle in whatever it is I do following this round of P90X.

I guess now might be a good time to trade tips- it looks like I'm going to have lost somewhere between 26-30 pounds from this course of P90X, and I've been really impressed with the muscle growth you've shown in pics.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I've been hovering around 205 for like 2 months now, and the last few weekends of eating has not helped. After 1 week of Insanity I lost 1 pound down to 206, but my lowest was 202 a few weeks back. I need to get under 200, and preferably around 190, I just can't seem to find thing that look delicious (and are cheap) to eat on weekends.

Also it doesn't seem to help when I have parents and friends in town for special weekends, we end up eating out like 4 times and drinking!

Aggggggh.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
You guys should look into the modified P90X routine aimed at mass. That's what I'm gonna be doing once I finish X2.

The schedule isn't that different, other than you eliminate plyometrics and kenpo x. Not doing plyo makes me sad :(

I'm also gonna switch every week between the X and X2 versions of certain workouts (like legs and back / baseand back) so I can have awesome variety. Can't wait to start this once I finish with my PAP X2 phase.

LaneDS

I've been hovering around 205 for like 2 months now, and the last few weekends of eating has not helped. After 1 week of Insanity I lost 1 pound down to 206, but my lowest was 202 a few weeks back. I need to get under 200, and preferably around 190, I just can't seem to find thing that look delicious (and are cheap) to eat on weekends.

Also it doesn't seem to help when I have parents and friends in town for special weekends, we end up eating out like 4 times and drinking!

Aggggggh.

I know this is probably obvious to you, but your diet seems to be what is holding you back. Once you conquer that, you should be set if you're bringing the intensity to your workouts.

Hawkian said:
Lane: We're about to switch roles it seems :p I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm just about done losing weight (flirting with 150 on the scale for about a week), just want to get rid of this last stubborn-ass bit of my gut. I'm going to be looking almost exclusively at bulking up a little and putting on muscle in whatever it is I do following this round of P90X.

I guess now might be a good time to trade tips- it looks like I'm going to have lost somewhere between 26-30 pounds from this course of P90X, and I've been really impressed with the muscle growth you've shown in pics.

Thanks man! I haven't been under 180 pounds in five, maybe even ten or more years, so weight loss has always been something I've wanted. How tall are you?

Related to the above bit for DC, I need to get even more strict with my diet for round 2. More fat loss is my goal.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I know this is probably obvious to you, but your diet seems to be what is holding you back. Once you conquer that, you should be set if you're bringing the intensity to your workouts.

Indeed.

Weekdays are a snap for me because I am so busy that I just eat the same general things every day. When I get to the weekends my head says "I want better tasting stuff than I had all week" which leads me to eating out more. That wouldn't be a problem if I ordered a salad or something, but when I got pay to eat out I want something that I am craving. :p

My initial 25 lb loss on P90X2 came with only 1 eating out adventure per week for a cheat meal, and the other meals I ate turkey kielbasa-type hot dogs. They are good for you and the only bad part of the meal was the bun and a bit of cheese.

Maybe I need to go back to that. :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks man! I haven't been under 180 pounds in five, maybe even ten or more years, so weight loss has always been something I've wanted. How tall are you?
I'm 5'10''. True to fitness myth I lost fat from essentially every single part of my body before the one I really wanted to (my stomach), although over the last half of P90X I did finally cut my waistline a lot and it feels great. I still have a few pounds of fat that I am dying to get rid of and I can tell I have a six pack under there already (can see it clearly if I engage/stretch) which is incredibly frustrating, but in general I'm really impressed with how successful P90X was for rapid fat loss considering it's not really marketed as such. I really ought to check my body fat percentage but I just haven't taken my measurements yet.

Some crucial points for me:
-By far the biggest impact I had on my weight loss wasn't related to P90X at all, it was www.myfitnesspal.com. I didn't start using it until I was into Phase 2 already, but even though I had already lost weight in Phase 1, it really ramped up once I started tracking everything every day. I assume you know about the site already but if you have any questions let me know.
-As you're of course aware, the only way to lose weight is to maintain a consistent caloric deficit. For me this meant eating better as the P90X guide encourages, but also keeping a much stricter eye on my propensity to overeat, which MFP helped a lot with, and supplementing extra cardio whenever possible. I got a pedaler for my desk at work, threw Cardio X in some days when I could fit it, walked to local errands instead of driving, etc.
-Keeping tabs on my weight throughout the program, I was sure to always follow the "lean/tone" numbers for resistance exercises (what the girls in the program usually do as far as reps). While I am interested in bulking up my muscles and getting some size especially now, I knew that I'd be sensitive to my weigh-ins and feel a lack of progress if I went for bulk and the muscle growth worked against the fat loss as far as the number on the scale. I did get some growth and considerable definition, but I know that the 12-15 reps on every exercise I've been doing isn't at all what I need to get bigger- that's what comes next for me.
-High protein low carb is right on- you may need to simply reduce your total caloric intake, which can take some definite adjustment.

When you guys say "cheat meals", what do you guys mean? Just trying to gauge the level of your diet
Anything goes for a cheat meal, you just can't have them very often :p It's the 20% in the 80-20 rule.

Ixian

This really excites me. P90X has only lost me approximately 10 lbs in 70+ days, but I've gained a lot of muscle (high amounts of protein daily), but as someone who is a broadly built 5'8", I'd like to be quite a bit south of the 195 or so I currently am. Losing weight is still what I'd like most, I think.

Granted, it could be my body catching up or the diet change I implemented when I began P90X (using Lean Gains/Eat Stop Eat techniques), but so far I've lost more weight from P90X than Insanity.

Exactly that. On the fourth floor. Moving in September, and P90X (or Insanity) is one of my chief criteria for where I end up. Likely giving up the luxury of being on the top floor of a building so I can stomp around on the ground floor until my heart's content.

When I moved out to Washington 8 years ago, I specifically sought out a bottom floor apartment because I played a lot of DDR. Still a great decision, aside from two plumbing incidents. :p

When you guys say "cheat meals", what do you guys mean? Just trying to gauge the level of your diet
Personally I eat one cheat meal a week on Friday afternoons. A local bar near where I work has some of the most amazing fries I've ever eaten, so I get a barbecue burger (avocado, chipotle sauce, pepperjack cheese) with a fried egg on top and fries. I don't eat breakfast and the past couple weeks I've been fasting for 24 hours after my cheat meal.

The 80/20 rule works! If you guys want we should post some of our diet. I think it will help a lot especially for those of you who are not losing as much weight as you like. I really think something can be improved in the diet.

Personally speaking there have been so many things I thought I could eat but when I looked at the nutritional value it has way too high fat %

For me, with the exception of the veggie burger and edamame beans, I try to only eat stuff that has < 5g fat per serving.

Nekura: damn that's one hell of cheat meal. My cheat meal is Chipotle twice per week. Regular diet is fish/egg white/ tofu

owlbeak

Some crucial points for me:
-By far the biggest impact I had on my weight loss wasn't related to P90X at all, it was www.myfitnesspal.com. I didn't start using it until I was into Phase 2 already, but even though I had already lost weight in Phase 1, it really ramped up once I started tracking everything every day. I assume you know about the site already but if you have any questions let me know.
Hey thanks for posting about myfitnesspal.com, I signed up for that and hopefully that will help motivate!

Ixian

My diet as of late:

Monday (or whatever is the first day of the week that I go to work :p)
- I go out for lunch to a local Japanese place where I get a spicy jalapeno chicken lunch plate which comes with rice and salad. I typically eat all of the chicken, most of the salad, and only a little bit of rice.
- Fast for 24 hours after.

Tuesday - Thursday, Saturday, Sunday
- Fast for at least 16 hours before lunch. Lunch is a Safeway prepacked caesar salad and a Quest protein bar.
- Depending on my workout later that day, I'll have another Quest protein bar an hour or so before I leave work.
- Dinner I either grill up some ground beef or boneless chicken breasts and have it on a Flatout Wrap with some scrambled eggs, pepperjack cheese, and chipotle sauce.

Friday
- Delicious bar burger and fries for cheat meal, followed by a 24 hour fast.

I don't usually need to eat outside of those times, but if I do snack it's either a Quest protein bar or some Greek yogurt with stevia and cinnamon.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey thanks for posting about myfitnesspal.com, I signed up for that and hopefully that will help motivate!
No problem, the site is seriously great, and if you get in the habit of logging both food and exercise even if you have to estimate, it will reallllly help you stay on track!

24-hour fasting sounds scary as hell :O

OG Kush

My diet as of late:

- I go out for lunch to a local Japanese place where I get a spicy jalapeno chicken lunch plate which comes with rice and salad. I typically eat all of the chicken, most of the salad, and only a little bit of rice.

Is it not possible to just ask them to give you extra salad instead of the rice? I don't see why they'd have a problem with this... maybe its just me but I aint a fan of wasting food. Even if its included, if you're not gonna eat it might as well tell them not bring it and replace it something different.

Personally speaking there have been so many things I thought I could eat but when I looked at the nutritional value it has way too high fat %

For me, with the exception of the veggie burger and edamame beans, I try to only eat stuff that has < 5g fat per serving.

Nekura: damn that's one hell of cheat meal. My cheat meal is Chipotle twice per week. Regular diet is fish/egg white/ tofu
Don't be afraid of fat, as long as its good fat. Also eat your egg yolks: http://www.truthaboutabs.com/whole-eggs-or-egg-whites.html

LaneDS

Most days my diet are as follows:

Breakfast: 16 oz skim milk + 2 scoops of Optimum Nutrion Whey (sometimes Casein) protein powder
Lunch: Salad from Chipotle, chicken, fajita vegetables, salsa, guacamole, no cheese/sour cream/rice/dressing.
Mid-afternoon snack: 1 Clif Builder's Bar
Dinner: another 16 oz skim milk shake + 2 scoops of protein powder, lately sometimes will do a lean burger patty (95/5) on whole wheat bread.

If anything, I am likely getting too few calories given the amount of exercise I do weekly.

Criticism and tips welcomed, as always!

My diet as of late:

Tuesday - Thursday, Saturday, Sunday
- Fast for at least 16 hours before lunch. Lunch is a Safeway prepacked caesar salad and a Quest protein bar.
- Depending on my workout later that day, I'll have another Quest protein bar an hour or so before I leave work.
- Dinner I either grill up some ground beef or boneless chicken breasts and have it on a Flatout Wrap with some scrambled eggs, pepperjack cheese, and chipotle sauce.

Friday
- Delicious bar burger and fries for cheat meal, followed by a 24 hour fast.

I don't usually need to eat outside of those times, but if I do snack it's either a Quest protein bar or some Greek yogurt with stevia and cinnamon.

I will do mine

Breakfast: Shakeology

Snack: 2 bags of seaweeds

Lunch: soft tofu with spinach

Snack: edamame beans

Pre-workout: Cliff protein bar

Post-workout: syntha 6 shake (none on recovery days)

Dinner: mixed veggies with fish and beans

24 hour fast = :0

Spicy jalapeño chicken = ;0

How does fasting work?

OG Kush: thanks for the link. Personally, what do you think about the high cholesterol part? That's the only thing really getting to me

Ixian

24-hour fasting sounds scary as hell :O
Granted, a person might have some condition that doesn't allow them to fast, but reading Eat Stop Eat really opened my eyes to fasting, specifically about how we generally think we're hungrier than we actually are. Part of it is also getting into the rhythm. It's not for everyone, but reading success stories from Lean Gains had me curious so I decided to try it and it seems pretty cool so far.
How does fasting work?
There are a few different fasting methodologies; you can read a good summary of the more well-known ones here. If you're at all interested in the concept of fasting, I would highly recommend reading the Leangains blog and maybe pick up the Eat Stop Eat book as well. Some people in Weight Loss GAF always discuss IF.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
OG Kush: thanks for the link. Personally, what do you think about the high cholesterol part? That's the only thing really getting to me
No need to worry about that much really, the aspects it describes about cholesterol are accurate (it helps your body maintain HDL, "good" cholesterol) and it's really not bad in terms of cardiac health unless EVERYTHING else in your diet is high in cholesterol.

What gets me about that article is that it sort of glosses over the calorie and fat difference, which is why I typically choose whites or a mix, by saying this:
But what about the extra calories in the yolks?

This is actually a non-issue and here's why... even though egg yolks contain more calories than just eating the egg whites, the yolks have such a high micro-nutrient density in those calories, that it increases your overall nutrient density per calorie you consume. Essentially, what this does is help to regulate your appetite for the remainder of the day, so you end up eating less calories overall.
Eeeehh
KuGsj.gif
Your mileage my vary on that one. I've gotten great results with just whites (All Whites in liquid form specifically) and typically feel great after having them with some other goodies for a very low calorie but filling breakfast.

Here are some raw numbers just so you have an idea in objective terms:
l96rY.png

Either way, eggs in any form are a great, super-nutritious choice. One of the most readily bio-available foods on the planet. Eat 'em.

Hawkian - i wasnt aware of that fitnesspal website but thankyou for posting. I will use it from now on. My main goal is weight loss whilst toning muscles (not exactly wanting to bulk the eff up much :p). At 168lbs, 5'10'' now. Wanting to get to like 145lbs... so I apparently should intake like 1500 calories a day since Im doing 1 hour fitness a day (thru p90x, and sometimes more than 1 hour). MFP approach wants me to consume more carbs and less protein, whereas p90x fitness guide says opposite.... few few carbs and tons of protein. Which would be the better for my goal?

Today I consumed too few calories, I need to eat more, or else I suppose my metabolism just wont function (a problem I have had in past, I have never been big eater and sometimes skip lunch/bfast... big mistake i know)

Any tips?

I say high protein low carbs first. You need to build and repair muscles more as you are first starting

As for calories, Tony and theX2 nutritional guide have said that as long as it's good, healthy, high fiber food, and as long as theres variety, you are in the ok

So you can try to be strict and more mindful of your calories, like buying an weight to calculate,

Or you can focus more on eating veggies and lean protein. It's not either / or, of course, but it's also up to you

LaneDS

Started on plyo today and ended up stopping on the second exercise, since my left knee still likes to pop (not painfully) out of place (seems to happen higher up than my knee cap). Bought a patella strap but that doesn't seem to really secure it, and after six hours hiking yesterday I figure today is a good day to give things a rest for once.

Presently icing my left knee and trying to pick out a bigger knee brace that covers more than whatever the patella happens to be.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'll post my meals in the morning, but the issue with egg whites for me is that eggs make up 2 of my meals per week, and whites just don't provide enough calories, even with some veggies and turkey bacon.

That being said, seeing all that cholesterol in eggs scares me a bit. My dad and bro have high cholesterol issues (despite my dad looking like Tony body wise at 54). My levels are elevated but not as bad as theirs. I'd just worry I'd have to eat half of a $4 carton of whites for one decent calorie meal. :p

On another note, Insanity week 2 day 1 in the books.

Cake Boss

Banned
What are the best forearm excersizes. I am currently doing the arms&shoulders set and its fine for the shoulders and biceps but the forearms is meh.

I say high protein low carbs first. You need to build and repair muscles more as you are first starting

As for calories, Tony and theX2 nutritional guide have said that as long as it's good, healthy, high fiber food, and as long as theres variety, you are in the ok

So you can try to be strict and more mindful of your calories, like buying an weight to calculate,

Or you can focus more on eating veggies and lean protein. It's not either / or, of course, but it's also up to you

Ah ok, Thanks for the help BM :)

Yeah I just need to really work at making at least 1500 calories a day. Like I said, I struggle to eat sometimes and have always been a bit of a b1tch in the kitchen because I just skimp on eating (lack of hunger really). I think this MFP will help me count those calories and really make the mark.

Ah ok, Thanks for the help BM :)

Yeah I just need to really work at making at least 1500 calories a day. Like I said, I struggle to eat sometimes and have always been a bit of a b1tch in the kitchen because I just skimp on eating (lack of hunger really). I think this MFP will help me count those calories and really make the mark.

:)

What's the MFP approach?

By the way, what are your thoughts on the p90x diet plan? I followed it and I'm still doing it. There's literally a list of food to choose from and to make it even safer just don't go outside it

Yea, and with carbs. The P90X and X2 have a high carb diet too, but according to them it's really for athletes in training. Otherwise you would start off p90x high protein / low everything, to high protein /medium carbs / low everything

:)

What's the MFP approach?

By the way, what are your thoughts on the p90x diet plan? I followed it and I'm still doing it. There's literally a list of food to choose from and to make it even safer just don't go outside it

Yea, and with carbs. The P90X and X2 have a high carb diet too, but according to them it's really for athletes in training. Otherwise you would start off p90x high protein / low everything, to high protein /medium carbs / low everything

Well i typed in I wanted to lose 1.5lbs a week and they suggested a 1500 calorie daily diet. And most of the calories seem to be carb related (that they want me to consume).

I figure ill just stick to the Level 1 fat shredder P90x diet for the first phase, eat higher protein & lower everything else. Maybe one whole wheat bagel for bfast with my yogurt?? and that will be entirety of my carbs lol; is one whole wheat bagel rather safe ;P? So in essence ill do the P90X route, but slightly less caloric intake...1500 (like MFP suggested), and create a nice deficit to aid in losing weight?

Im only on Day8 and the meal plan looks ok, the problem I have is the high protein aspect when Im not a huge fan of eating so much darn meat. Is there some granola or peanuts or something i can eat to avoid getting so much protein from just meats. Scrambled eggs maybe, how many? I don't know if im becoming vegetarian or something but I just can't stand pork or beef half the time anymore. I enjoy Fish or Chicken/Turkey more so... I think im going kosher? lol

D23 - Milk helps dieting? I find it disgusting to begin with, thank god im allergic to it.

Well i typed in I wanted to lose 1.5lbs a week and they suggested a 1500 calorie daily diet. And most of the calories seem to be carb related (that they want me to consume).

I figure ill just stick to the Level 1 fat shredder P90x diet for the first phase, eat higher protein & lower everything else. Maybe one whole wheat bagel for bfast with my yogurt?? and that will be entirety of my carbs lol; is one whole wheat bagel rather safe ;P? So in essence ill do the P90X route, but slightly less caloric intake...1500 (like MFP suggested), and create a nice deficit to aid in losing weight?

Im only on Day8 and the meal plan looks ok, the problem I have is the high protein aspect when Im not a huge fan of eating so much darn meat. Is there some granola or peanuts or something i can eat to avoid getting so much protein from just meats. Scrambled eggs maybe, how many? I don't know if im becoming vegetarian or something but I just can't stand pork or beef half the time anymore. I enjoy Fish or Chicken/Turkey more so... I think im going kosher? lol

D23 - Milk helps dieting? I find it disgusting to begin with, thank god im allergic to it.

I think you are more specific in terms of the amount of weight you want to lose than I was. I just followed the P90X plan and let the diet/exercises do their work, since it already specified daily intake calories specifically with P90X workouts in mind. It all depends on how you feel internally, because you can easily starve yourself and not have enough energy. Personally, it's hard to not lose weight with P90X as long as you are conscious of what you eat

As with protein, well, obviously the easiest way (within the protein section) is turkey, chicken and fish/tuna. Otherwise, eggs and tofu. And for dairy, yes, greek yogurt is amazing.

It all really depends on how you want to tweak your diet. Again, I just followed the guide. And yes, low carbs = 1 bagel a day, but make sure you read the nutritional value too!

Yeah im at 168 and would love getting to the 145-50 range. So i was specific in MFP about it.

Greek yogurt? I just have the Astro Fat Free single cups... greek style better?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

Breakfast: 16 oz skim milk + 2 scoops of Optimum Nutrion Whey (sometimes Casein) protein powder
Lunch: Salad from Chipotle, chicken, fajita vegetables, salsa, guacamole, no cheese/sour cream/rice/dressing.
Dinner: another 16 oz skim milk shake + 2 scoops of protein powder, lately sometimes will do a lean burger patty (95/5) on whole wheat bread.

If anything, I am likely getting too few calories given the amount of exercise I do weekly.

Damn dude, if it works for you, go with it, but I would die if I tried that. It looks you're probably getting a decent amount of energy from all that milk, but that just would not satisfy me at all. It might not hurt to throw in some almonds or walnuts or even peanut/almond butter in there if you feel like you need more calories (it probably wouldn't hurt). But if you're not feeling tired during workouts, you might be fine as is.

Pollux

How much do y'all change your eating habits when you first start? I'm cutting out all the crap, all the soda all the fried food candy etc. but I don't want to follow the table of meals that came with the P90X.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
How much do y'all change your eating habits when you first start? I'm cutting out all the crap, all the soda all the fried food candy etc. but I don't want to follow the table of meals that came with the P90X.

If you eat well (good carbs, lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, etc.), then you don't have to follow the meals plan.

Good job in getting rid of the garbage food.

Damn dude, if it works for you, go with it, but I would die if I tried that. It looks you're probably getting a decent amount of energy from all that milk, but that just would not satisfy me at all. It might not hurt to throw in some almonds or walnuts or even peanut/almond butter in there if you feel like you need more calories (it probably wouldn't hurt). But if you're not feeling tired during workouts, you might be fine as is.

I agree with Vastep, Lane. Personally, I think more veggies would be nice, and more fish or eggs (low fat, high protein). I was surprised at seeing so many shakes or powder. I'd have to imagine you are taking in few too calories because even at Chipotle the calories count isn't that high at all, since you aren't doing any of the more unhealthy stuff.

But still, it is really surprising to see your weight isn't dropping as much as it should. How much fat and carbs are in the powder? What about the burger patty? I am only asking because I tried buying chicken or turkey patty over the weekend, and I was surprised at the fat % at just one patty

You mean the selection of food items? How come?

I threw away literally everything. My vice is chips, and haven't touched it in 4 months.

If you eat well (good carbs, lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, etc.), then you don't have to follow the meals plan.

Good job in getting rid of the garbage food.
It's amazing how anal I was about the meal plan and following the grams of protein, carbs and fat I was consuming with every little thing I ate compared to now after two months of the program where I am completely opposite. I just eat clean as you suggest and I'm seeing great results. Following charts and graphs and spreadsheets and everything to a tee are not necessary to see results.

my vice is definitely coca cola and candy... havent touched either in almost 2 weeks. Maybe ill have a coke to celebrate when i finish but im determined to not cheat (much!):)

coke and candy are tough! I don't do sweets but I have heard from so many people just how irresistible it is

As with the diet plan vs. eating plain healthy. Maybe it's time to let loose, I am not sure. So far this "diet" still works out great for me, as in it is not so much a "diet" as now it's just what I eat on a regular basis. I tried to follow the guide as much as I could with P90X because I wanted to prove to myself that I had the discipline, especially with my talent of still eating random, not so unhealthy food.

With P90X2, and they actually say this in the guide too, it's really more about variety and consistency. I want to stick with it, hopefully see more changes in my body the way I would like - if that happens, then I might just take the more general approach and stop counting calories :D

One more thing bears repeating: water is crucial!

Coke is my vice too. Used to drink a lot more than I do now but I probably go a month without drinking coke and then a month where I'll buy a 12 pack of cans that will last me that month then rinse and repeat. So I'm probably drinking about 6 months of the year, 6x12= 72 cans a year. Or about 25.5 liters. Lol. That kind of sounds like a lot to me but I know some people are way worse. :/

It's a slow process though. Cut back little by little. I can already go a month without drinking any until I get a craving, so I'm getting there.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I agree with Vastep, Lane. Personally, I think more veggies would be nice, and more fish or eggs (low fat, high protein). I was surprised at seeing so many shakes or powder. I'd have to imagine you are taking in few too calories because even at Chipotle the calories count isn't that high at all, since you aren't doing any of the more unhealthy stuff.

But still, it is really surprising to see your weight isn't dropping as much as it should. How much fat and carbs are in the powder? What about the burger patty? I am only asking because I tried buying chicken or turkey patty over the weekend, and I was surprised at the fat % at just one patty
That type of fat probably isn't going to set back anyone's weight loss. It's not like the fat you'd get from eating a bunch of cookies. I'm sure the burger is a good option, and if I were Lane, I'd be eating that more often than a protein shake for dinner. I do agree with adding more veggies. Broccoli is awesome and should be in everyone's diet! I also frequently snack on cherry/grape tomatoes and berries, although it can get expensive.

Lane, if you're drinking milk/whey twice a day because you're strapped for time, you might want to look into one of those meal replacement shakes. I'm just not really sure that milk + whey is a good "meal" (although, it looks like you're drinking two servings, so maybe it becomes one at that point!), especially twice a day. Personally I only drink milk + whey as my recovery drink, but I don't really know enough about the stuff to say whether it's a viable meal replacement or not... I could be way off.

agreed, Vastep! Really recommend more veggies. Can't go wrong with anything Vastep mentioned, nor can you go wrong with spinach or bell peppers.

And Lane, just add one fruit per day. Frankly, apple is your best choice.

Also on the shakes/meal replacement. I don' t know much either, but this might help as a reference: you know Shakeology, the thing that Beachbody likes promote the hell out of as ultra healthy and stuff? Even with that they only recommend using it for one meal replacement.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian - i wasnt aware of that fitnesspal website but thankyou for posting. I will use it from now on. My main goal is weight loss whilst toning muscles (not exactly wanting to bulk the eff up much :p). At 168lbs, 5'10'' now. Wanting to get to like 145lbs... so I apparently should intake like 1500 calories a day since Im doing 1 hour fitness a day (thru p90x, and sometimes more than 1 hour). MFP approach wants me to consume more carbs and less protein, whereas p90x fitness guide says opposite.... few few carbs and tons of protein. Which would be the better for my goal?
Sorry it took so long to respond!

MFP is not equipped to accomodate a fitness program like P90X where you're pushing yourself constantly, almost every day. High protein, low carb is the way to go if you want to lose weight.

MFP will tell you you're over on protein (in the "red") every day basically if you're doing it right.

Aim for two things: A caloric deficit of something or other (although if you don't go over your net limit, you should still be losing weight), and as few carbs as you can manage ;)

edit: ditto on only using a meal replacement shake for one meal. Lean1 is a cheaper alternative to Shakeology I've had a lot of success with.

LaneDS

To those starting their day, start it right! Just willingly went for a 5 am run, which I've never once done in my life, because I felt bad for skipping on plyo yesterday and turned in early. Also put up my best average pace since I started using the RunKeeper app nearly three years ago (did 3.0 miles in 25:22 for an average pace of 8:28!). Took a while to really see tangible results in my physical performance, but now I am so wholly convinced of how P90X can change someone's life if they commit to it. Not that this thread is lacking in terms of people being supportive (far from it!) but I wanted to chime in all the same.

Once I get some coffee in me and get to work (two hours early what) I'll respond properly to all the helpful diet comments. Y'alls the best, for realsies.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
crap. feeling bad and about to start month 2 of insanity. Too bad I'm doing it. Going to hawaii on the 1st or so, so have to be done by then.

so far lost a good 4 kilos in 1 month of insanity.

Insanity is CRAZY GOOD for dropping weight. That plus the faster workout times, it's a wonderful workout.

After I beat insanity, I'm going to run through a full p90x run.

GCNemesis

Hope all had a good holiday weekend! Started Insanity yesterday after one of the worst diet-related weekends in recent memory. Felt like crap on Monday so I skipped the Fit Test and started with Plyo Cardio Circuit proper yesterday.

I realize that my strength will diminish doing this program as opposed to a hybrid system, but my plan is to trim down and then build myself back up with a P90X/2/Insanity hybrid. Perhaps if I'm feeling frisky I'll throw in some resistance/strength exercises. I will be adding Yoga X2 and Ab Ripper X2 to Insanity. The biggest benefit to me is that I can now do these in my office at work during lunch as opposed to having to wait until I get home, which opens up my evenings.

I've been experiencing some knee pain (top of kneecaps) due to most likely using the wrong shoes (running) for plyometric exercises. I just got the Jumper's Knee straps someone was kind enough to mention earlier on, so hopefully they will help to alleviate some of the pain. If it doesn't, I'll have to go get them checked out proper. :(

So as of May 29th, I was up to 200 lbs (yeah holiday weekend bloat! already down to 197.4, I'm sure it will regulate in the next couple of days). My goal is to be at a lean 185 pounds after all said and done. I think it's doable in two months, but man, this plateau I hit around 192-195 pounds is challenging.

Good luck to all starting up a new program and to those currently in one, keep it up!

LaneDS

Hope all had a good holiday weekend! Started Insanity yesterday after one of the worst diet-related weekends in recent memory. Felt like crap on Monday so I skipped the Fit Test and started with Plyo Cardio Circuit proper yesterday.

I realize that my strength will diminish doing this program as opposed to a hybrid system, but my plan is to trim down and then build myself back up with a P90X/2/Insanity hybrid. Perhaps if I'm feeling frisky I'll throw in some resistance/strength exercises. I will be adding Yoga X2 and Ab Ripper X2 to Insanity. The biggest benefit to me is that I can now do these in my office at work during lunch as opposed to having to wait until I get home, which opens up my evenings.

I've been experiencing some knee pain (top of kneecaps) due to most likely using the wrong shoes (running) for plyometric exercises. I just got the Jumper's Knee straps someone was kind enough to mention earlier on, so hopefully they will help to alleviate some of the pain. If it doesn't, I'll have to go get them checked out proper. :(

So as of May 29th, I was up to 200 lbs (yeah holiday weekend bloat! already down to 197.4, I'm sure it will regulate in the next couple of days). My goal is to be at a lean 185 pounds after all said and done. I think it's doable in two months, but man, this plateau I hit around 192-195 pounds is challenging.

Good luck to all starting up a new program and to those currently in one, keep it up!

Please let me know how that strap works for you because my knee pain sounds awfully similar (and I only really have problems when doing all the squats in plyo). Also, how tall are you to put that weight in perspective? And good luck yourself!

Top Bottom