• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I also had a terrible eating weekend, but only seem to be up two pounds; I was expecting worse! Considering I changed my diet a year ago and am at a weight I'm comfortable with, I think it's okay to slip like that every once in a while, just as long as I'm keeping up on my fitness.

Still not eating anything fried, though... gateway drug, my friends.

GCNemesis

Please let me know how that strap works for you because my knee pain sounds awfully similar (and I only really have problems when doing all the squats in plyo). Also, how tall are you to put that weight in perspective? And good luck yourself!

Will do. I put them on yesterday and walked around, felt pretty good. I'm 6'2" for reference.

Here's my progress (as of March, I should update, however the visible results are roughly the same as March)
6W2Ne.jpg

LaneDS

I also had a terrible eating weekend, but only seem to be up two pounds; I was expecting worse! Considering I changed my diet a year ago and am at a weight I'm comfortable with, I think it's okay to slip like that every once in a while, just as long as I'm keeping up on my fitness.

Still not eating anything fried, though... gateway drug, my friends.

Bet your metabolism is chewing through even the mistake meals, but as you know don't get too comfortable straying from healthy eating!

Moustached avatar P90X squad dominating this page thus far.

LaneDS

c-c-c-combo breaker

Great results GC! I can see considerable definition, did you take any shots flexing?

You MS paint a sweet 'stache onto that hawk right this moment!

And good work GC! Definitely shedding fat; keep at it and you'll shed fat to the point you're seeing all your hard work clearly!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
People were asking about meal plans, so here's mine. I need some help subbing in some different dinners, and weekends are my hardest meals to plan for as I don't want anything I've eaten all week. Also, not sure what to do about breakfast as I eat at work and don't have time to cook.

Monday-Friday

Breakfast:
Muscle Milk protein shake

Snack (around 10am):
Almonds
String Cheese

Lunch:
Progresso soup
Orange

Snack (around 3pm):
Almonds
String Cheese

Dinner:
EITHER
2/3 chicken drumsticks/thighs + cottage cheese or baked veggies.
OR
3 eggs scrambled with turkey sausage or tuna + veggies

My calories per day come out around 1500-1700 I believe. I'm not sure how to change this up and keep it as easy to prepare and cheap as it is now, thus I do the same thing 5 days a week every week.

As mentioned, weekends are usually eating out 1/2 meals, and the rest I've been doing Turkey kielbasa/sausage on hot dog bun. They are good for you and give me a change from the norm. Not sure what else to do though.

My biggest downfall is that I want my whole week planned. Not necessarily what meal is when, but when I get groceries I want to buy everything I need for that week at once and usually can't think of anything new.

I'd suggest adding some fish to that diet. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby you can get frozen fish from there at a reasonable price. I go once a week and get what I need for my lunches and dinner. Fish and brown rice make up a good portion of my weekday meals. They have a great selection.

I would also try to sub in some boneless skinless chicken breast for those legs and thighs you're eating.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'd suggest adding some fish to that diet. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby you can get frozen fish from there at a reasonable price. I go once a week and get what I need for my lunches and dinner. Fish and brown rice make up a good portion of my weekday meals. They have a great selection.

I would also try to sub in some boneless skinless chicken breast for those legs and thighs you're eating.

Fish in Iowa isn't easy. :p No Trader Joe's but our Hy-Vee grocery store has some Starkist frozen stuff I could do.

I love the skin on chicken though! :p

I think my issue is keeping my calories up/carbs down. I end up just buying the same thing week in/week out because I cant think of things to sub in. Might add some frozen fish. We have plenty of pork and beef here in Iowa though!

Ixian

Insanity is CRAZY GOOD for dropping weight. That plus the faster workout times, it's a wonderful workout.
Insanity workouts are about the same length as P90X workouts once you hit month 2, though you don't do abs so frequently.
Please let me know how that strap works for you because my knee pain sounds awfully similar (and I only really have problems when doing all the squats in plyo). Also, how tall are you to put that weight in perspective? And good luck yourself!
Personally, I picked up a pair of Yasco Knee Braces at the end of my last Insanity run because I was experiencing lingering knee issues, and they work great (I use them for P90X Plyometrics and anything that involves squats). I know another poster in this thread liked them too.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm honestly surprised that comes out to 1500 calories. It seems like less just looking it over.

Well, here's a day last week. Just under 1500. It goes up a bit if I do eggs for dinner.

I just am not sure what to add/change. Like I said, I like to have everything planned out for the week more or less so I can get groceries once per week.

Having issues with a lot of fat too, due to the 2 servings of almonds per day.

Capture.PNG

Ixian

Well, here's a day last week. Just under 1500. It goes up a bit if I do eggs for dinner.

I just am not sure what to add/change. Like I said, I like to have everything planned out for the week more or less so I can get groceries once per week.

Having issues with a lot of fat too, due to the 2 servings of almonds per day.
Looks like zero calories to me!

Ixian

Is there a consensus on how many calories are burned (roughly) each workout?
Here's a sample of my numbers per the arm band I use:

Code:
date		sleep	cal. 	p90xcal 	p90 activity
05-13-12	8:17:00	3074	559.44		Kenpo X
05-14-12	4:13:00	3063			day off
05-15-12	7:46:00	3427	663.67		Chest and Back + Insane Abs
05-16-12	6:41:00	3434	538.29		Plyometrics
05-17-12	8:02:00	3564	760		Shoulders and Arms + Insane Abs
05-18-12	7:44:00	3175	301		Yoga X2

Arm band of course may not be accurate but I like having a rough idea. :) cal. = calories burned for the entire day, p90xcal = calories burned during my workout specifically. Sorry for the crappy formatting and abbreviations, I transplanted it from a Google Doc and had to make adjustments.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
At least 600 for most of the workouts.
X Stretch and Ab Ribber X excepted of course.
edit: Wow, their average of 600 seems very accurate! I expect your arm band is underselling Yoga X2 as you're standing still for quite a bit (still burning calories, believe it or not ;))

Code:

Arm band of course may not be accurate but I like having a rough idea. :) cal. = calories burned for the entire day, p90xcal = calories burned during my workout specifically. Sorry for the crappy formatting and abbreviations, I transplanted it from a Google Doc and had to make adjustments.

What was 301 calories? Yoga?

Edit: Yes yoga. The gaf app wasn't displaying the names for me.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Code:

Do you think Insane Abs is a better workout than ARX? I'm subbing it in for Cardio Abs in my second month of Insanity now, and scoff a little at ARX's short running time (I'm starting P90X in a couple weeks after Insanity.)

Note that I type "scoff" with irony, as Insane Abs kicks my butt.

Ixian

Do you think Insane Abs is a better workout than ARX? I'm subbing it in for Cardio Abs in my second month of Insanity now, and scoff a little at ARX's short running time (I'm starting P90X in a couple weeks after Insanity.)

I think it's a preference thing. I feel like I get a better workout of Insane Abs; I know Harry Potter has done all four ab workouts (ARX, ARX2, Cardio Abs and Insane Abs) and prefers ARX2, which clocks in at around 22 minutes if I remember correctly.

By the way, I'm looking to sell my arm band cheaply! :p Just noticed the company that makes it has a Bluetooth version available with an iPhone app which I must get!

Yeah, that's for Yoga X2, but his armband is surely measuring motion and acceleration. I'd bet it's actually at least 400 in practice.

edit: Ah, it does do body heat and skin temp, that's cool.
Something to keep in mind is that was my second time doing Yoga, so I still sucked at it (still do suck at it, but now I suck slightly less). Yesterday I burned 344 calories doing it.

OG Kush

I think it's a preference thing. I feel like I get a better workout of Insane Abs; I know Harry Potter has done all four ab workouts (ARX, ARX2, Cardio Abs and Insane Abs) and prefers ARX2, which clocks in at around 22 minutes if I remember correctly..

ARX2 is the same length as ARX1, 16 mins.

X Stretch and Ab Ribber X excepted of course.
edit: Wow, their average of 600 seems very accurate! I expect your arm band is underselling Yoga X2 as you're standing still for quite a bit (still burning calories, believe it or not ;))

In case you guys didn't know, I remember in the making-of videos the nutritionist said the number of calories burned is actually higher. They kept it at 600 for easy reference and I suppose made it less threatening to people

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
By the way, I'm looking to sell my arm band cheaply!
! How cheaply? I'm interested in getting something like this and have been for some time, but the options that seem ideal are all so costly, and the ones that are reasonable all have some major flaw (I've come closest to buying a Fitbit... can't believe it's not sweat resistant :p).

edit: Wait, it requires a subscription? :-/

In case you guys didn't know, I remember in the making-of videos the nutritionist said the number of calories burned is actually higher. They kept it at 600 for easy reference and I suppose made it less threatening to people
Well, bear in mind 600 is a cross-workout average. I'm sure I've burned notably more than that a couple of the times I really brought it during Plyo, but I doubt that Kenpo X will get much higher than that number reported by nekura even with a lot of intensity (I wear wrist or ankle weights during it to compensate).

do u guys use pre workout supplement? if so what?
No, just water, although I sometimes grab a Shot Blok halfway through a workout and they're amaaazing.

Insane and cardio abs is quite a bit different than the P90X/X2 ab routines that I find it hard to compare them. Both Insanity workouts have a good portion of cardio in them that P90X/X2 doesn't. I still find most of the actual ab excersises in ab ripper X/X2 to be more difficult than Insane/Cardio abs. Insanity feels like it deals with the whole core more than just the abs.

I definitely like Insane abs more than cardio abs.

tldr; abs abs abs abs abs abs

owlbeak

Finished Chest & Back + Ab Ripper.

Day 3 is done. Feeling good about myself! Might be crazy, but my jeans felt a bit looser today than when I started. Don't have a proper scale yet, it's being shipped from Amazon, so we'll see.

How do you guys feel about beef jerky as a snack during phase 1? Low in fat and carbs, high in protein. Yes/no?

Also went grocery shopping today and resisted the temptation to buy chips. I love chips, eat them with everything, but I know I won't be able to resist overeating if they are in my apartment. Also managed to not buy cheese, my one true love. :( Purchased some egg whites, turkey bacon, turkey sausage, low carb whole grain wraps, oranges & bananas, skinless boneless chicken breasts, spring greens and baby spinach, some asparagus, and some beef jerky (regular, no fancy seasoning)! Felt like a pretty healthy trip to the store.

Also, wouldn't mind if some of you guys who use myfitnesspal would friend me so that I am at least somewhat accountable to someone :). PM me for name and such.

Good work birdcity. As for the jerky I really love turkey jerky. Very low calories, low in fat and high in protein. Great snack. I beleive beef jerky is higher in fat and they taste fairly similar to me so I go with turkey.

owlbeak

Good work birdcity. As for the jerky I really love turkey jerky. Very low calories, low in fat and high in protein. Great snack. I beleive beef jerky is higher in fat and they taste fairly similar to me so I go with turkey.
Thanks! I was going to buy turkey jerky but they didn't have it or I didn't see it. The beef is not too bad. Per serving ~1oz is 80 cal, 10 fat cal, 1g fat , 3g carb so I figured it was still not bad. Will try to find turkey next time. I just bought a small pack of this to try it out and see if it was a good snack or not for this program.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

I use a scoop of Beachbody's Energy & Endurance formula, but I also get up at 4:45am to work out. It helps wake me up & gives me the edge I need to get going. I've also found that I have a hard time doing Insanity workouts if I have food in my stomach.

Ixian

On days that I'm gonna do weight lifting, I take some BCAA powder 10-15 minutes before my work out, and again after. I used to have protein powder post-workout, trying out the BCAA to see how it works. On non-lifting days I just go at it.

First day of core synergistics today!

LaneDS

My roommate previously used Pharm Assault, and once I started using it I've kept going with a scoop of that before most workouts. It's probably a bad idea, but for now, I'm using it still. Makes me feel slightly cracked out, but I also think it gives me a little more energy which is much needed for the workouts at the end of the work day.

Do something else good for yourself! What do you have access to? Go for a run! Do kenpo or cardio x! Something to stay active- you'll feel better that you did.
Thanks, I'm going to go for morning runs daily till I get the weights, just bummed out because I was ready to start this week

Top Bottom