• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

CrankyJay

Banned
Is Vodka really the better choice? Doing research it seems Vodka, Whiskey, etc. mostly all have the same calorie counts, no carbs, fat, etc? Also, I hate vodka haha

They pretty much all have the same calories because alcohol is 7 calories per gram, and most of these are 80 proof anyway.

LaneDS

Picked up McDonald's breakfast on the way home this morning, so I feel the need to really bring it for legs & back + ARX right now. Two weeks until the "finish" line.

owlbeak

Thanks for the booze suggestions, everyone.

Just finished day 5...my least favorite and most hasted day of them all....legs and back. My god. I sweat and struggle more during this damn workout than the rest of them. Luckily, I remembered from last time I did P90X that I needed to do ARX BEFORE the regular workout, and I'm glad I did. Had I not, I wouldn't have been able to do it, I was just too damn wiped afterwards. Those damn chair salutations. DAMN YOU!! Also, I CANNOT STAND Dreya Weber. I don't know why, I just can't haha.

Onward to another lovely day of Kenpo tomorrow!

Thanks for the booze suggestions, everyone.

Just finished day 5...my least favorite and most hasted day of them all....legs and back. My god. I sweat and struggle more during this damn workout than the rest of them. Luckily, I remembered from last time I did P90X that I needed to do ARX BEFORE the regular workout, and I'm glad I did. Had I not, I wouldn't have been able to do it, I was just too damn wiped afterwards. Those damn chair salutations. DAMN YOU!! Also, I CANNOT STAND Dreya Weber. I don't know why, I just can't haha.

Onward to another lovely day of Kenpo tomorrow!

Heh, OMG i hate her so much too. Just her face and perfection drive me nuts. I feel intimidated maybe by her.. ugh. Give me Merain "german potato soup" (however spelled).

I think we are on same schedule, today was my legs and back too. Yay Kenpo Saturdays! Today was Day 12 of P90X (for first time)

owlbeak

Heh, OMG i hate her so much too. Just her face and perfection drive me nuts. I feel intimidated maybe by her.. ugh. Give me Merain "german potato soup" (however spelled).

I think we are on same schedule, today was my legs and back too. Yay Kenpo Saturdays! Today was Day 12 of P90X (for first time)
Nice, man! :D

I made it to day 72 last time I tried this, that was 2009. Congrats on two weeks! :)

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Guys I am a pretty skinny guy was wondering if P90X could be used to gain mass too. I understand it benefits all but is there a particular way/schedule or something to do it so that it will help me gaining mass. If not, any other program or schedule that you can suggest?

OG Kush

Guys I am a pretty skinny guy was wondering if P90X could be used to gain mass too. I understand it benefits all but is there a particular way/schedule or something to do it so that it will help me gaining mass. If not, any other program or schedule that you can suggest?

So you're basically an ectomporh? Mate you just got to be eating a lot of calories and protein to gain. obviously work out hard, but don't get into the semantics about which workout out to do etc. As long as its good and you work out HARD, AND eat a lot, you will gain.
Go to the fitness thread. Look into Starting strength workout, find those online calculators inputtting heigh and bodyweight and see how many calories you need to eat to gain. Make sure atleast 1-1.5 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight a day if you want optimum gaining. But seriously, people in the fitness thead know their stuff as well.

LaneDS

Definitely potential to gain a lot of muscle with P90X. In fact, I've gained a lot more muscle than I have dropped weight, but I take in a lot of protein everyday and also work myself to exhaustion nearly every day. Like Kush is saying though, diet is nearly everything; as someone who has never been thin I'm not sure what trying to gain weight is like, but I can say as someone who has been fat the key is of course to eating lots and some sweet videogames (not so recommended, ahem).

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Do the P90X Mass variation. It's similar to classic, but you don't do Kenpo and Plyometrics. You also have to eat looooooooads.

owlbeak

Finished Kenpo for today and thus, completed week 1! :D

Weight loss for the first week is about ~3.5lbs! Weighed in first thing this morning and ticked the scale at 173.2, down from 177ish on Monday!

LaneDS

Finished Kenpo for today and thus, completed week 1! :D

Weight loss for the first week is about ~3.5lbs! Weighed in first thing this morning and ticked the scale at 173.2, down from 177ish on Monday!

Good work sir! It only gets better from there.

OchreHand

Just got my p90x in the mail today. Whew.. a lot of reading material.

The Nutrition Plan seems to be the most daunting especially since I don't cook. If I won the lotto, I'd hire a personal chef for this.

Edit: I'm thinking of buying SYNTHA-6 as my protein drink (GNC 20% off first week of the month!).

Just got my p90x in the mail today. Whew.. a lot of reading material.

The Nutrition Plan seems to be the most daunting especially since I don't cook. If I won the lotto, I'd hire a personal chef for this.

Edit: I'm thinking of buying SYNTHA-6 as my protein drink (GNC 20% off first week of the month!).

Syntha 6 is great! I have it as well. Actually was recommended because of this thread

Do your best on the nutrition. I was just like you, then I got around starting buying pans and George Foreman grill just for the plan. Please do ask us if you have questions

OchreHand

Syntha 6 is great! I have it as well. Actually was recommended because of this thread

Do your best on the nutrition. I was just like you, then I got around starting buying pans and George Foreman grill just for the plan. Please do ask us if you have questions

Thanks again BeautifulMemory!

I just started reading the thread from the beginning, trying to learn as much as I can. It's a lot of information to take in but I'll absorb it all eventually!

Ixian

Do you have a grill? If not, get one! I bought one at the recommendation of someone in this thread and it made my life so much better. Start the preheating process while you're in the shower, then throw on some beef or chicken when you get out and it'll be done in ten minutes. One of my best purchases ever; I'm sad I didn't get one sooner.

In P90X news, brought it so hard to Core Synergistics today that I almost kneed myself in the face during Steam Engine. I really enjoy prison cell pushups and pushups/reach high/reach under. Also, yesterday was a scheduled X-Stretch day and it was my first time doing it since I normally opt for the day off when it's at the end of the week -- never again! I assumed X-Stretch would be like Insanity's stretch routines where it was more of an actual workout but as Tony Horton would say, X-Stretch is money. Just have a yoga day and a stretch day left and I'm done with month one; really looking forward to getting into month two, especially since my Chin-Up Max will be here soon.

Did back and biceps as well as legs and back today. One in morning and one in the night. Was making up for only doing half of back and biceps the other day. Yup I'm feeling dead. Luckily tomorrow is rest day. I always run 5k on rest day though. May just walk it instead. ~_~

Did back and biceps as well as legs and back today. One in morning and one in the night. Was making up for only doing half of back and biceps the other day. Yup I'm feeling dead. Luckily tomorrow is rest day. I always run 5k on rest day though. May just walk it instead. ~_~

5k? That's amazing. You must be really fit already

mehdi_san

Just finished doing Plyocide! What the hell was that Set Run Plyo Jump thing at the end haha!!! Love the new moves, but it's hard to do them correctly on a first try. I should be able to bring it even more next week (at least i hope so)

5k? That's amazing. You must be really fit already
Haha hardly. I'm slowly getting there though. I try and do 5k three days a week on top of P90x. I have some bad P90x workouts where I'm just not feeling it and kind of dogging it and it can make me feel pretty down. This is pretty much my first time in my life doing any form of strength training so I'm going to make a lot of mistakes or just feel sluggish some days. Its a slow building process. So after those bad workouts I go for a nice run and feel better and like I've redeemed myself a bit.

Anyone notice their posture improving because of P90X? I used to slouch a lot and my mother told me the other day how she noticed I was standing up really tall and looked much better with how I was walking. I think I've noticed it myself too. Feels good not to walk like Mr. Burns anymore.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Based on what I have tried with Syntha 6 so far

Cookie + Cream > Strawberry > chocolate >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>vanilla ice cream
I'm sort of convinced that any flavor of whey protein will start to taste good if you drink it enough, as your body will just start to crave it after workouts. I've bought some that I didn't like at first (kept drinking it because I couldn't let it go to waste), but after a few days/weeks, it started tasting like the nectar of the gods to me — I just need it.

Second recovery week starts today. Can't believe I'm already more than halfway through the 90 days!

I'm sort of convinced that any flavor of whey protein will start to taste good if you drink it enough, as your body will just start to crave it after workouts. I've bought some that I didn't like at first (kept drinking it because I couldn't let it go to waste), but after a few days/weeks, it started tasting like the nectar of the gods to me — I just need it.

Second recovery week starts today. Can't believe I'm already more than halfway through the 90 days!

That is an interesting take. Well, I never thought of it as I bought Syntha 6 specifically for the taste. But yes love the drinks though, really the best part about working out is to be able to enjoy the drink afterward

You are more than half way already? At this rate we are all going to be grads soon. Amazing how many of us have made it through

OchreHand

Has anyone heard more about Tony's food line? I can't find anything about it when he was on AOTS it seemed like it was launching soon.

I saw that too but googling about it doesn't yield much info. If prices were reasonable I would do it.

Just returned from Whole Foods and stocked up on protein rich foods. Bought a bunch of canned wild Alaskan salmon. 40g of protein per can. :D

Week 2 finished for P90X.

Small subtle changes have occured to my body and I can happily say my diet has improved leaps and bounds from one month ago. I feel energized and alive and my state of mind is good to go for 10 more weeks.

Gotta say, the recovery drink really makes the work outs worth while lol. Its like an orange creamsicle drink...

I just bought the discs and I'm gonna jump into the program in a couple days after I buy everything. Should be fun!

Question: What do you guys recommend for free weights? I'm pretty skinny and not too strong. Should 15-20 pound weights cover the workouts?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I just bought the discs and I'm gonna jump into the program in a couple days after I buy everything. Should be fun!

Question: What do you guys recommend for free weights? I'm pretty skinny and not too strong. Should 15-20 pound weights cover the workouts?

Yes, that should be enough.

LaneDS

Ate like such an asshole today, on my rest day. Wondering if I should go out and do something to counteract the giant breakfast (omelette + pancakes) plus pizza (two slices) and cupcakes I ate later.

Has anyone heard more about Tony's food line? I can't find anything about it when he was on AOTS it seemed like it was launching soon.

Nothing here either. Someone on Beachbody does bring up an interesting point that the Summit is coming so he might announce it there.

And damn you always, always learn something new. I didn't know for male the recommended intake for Syntha 6 is actually 2 to 4 servings/scoops per day, with only 5 oz of liquid per scoop. I have been doing it the complete opposite - one servings per day, and with at least 12 oz of milk. WOW. Going to try it the two servings to see if it will help a bit. I am kind of almost too skinny now, with the abs being the usual area.

Ixian

Interestingly, someone posted a thread about this on the Beachbody boards complete with a link to the AOTS segment and an admin removed the link (but left the post). Wonder what happened there...

PS: I'll miss you guys if OT gets disabled during E3. :(

Am curious how one would fit in a P90x workout with a traditional weightlifting schedule at the gym? Go ahead and do both with wild, reckless abandon?

Interestingly, someone posted a thread about this on the Beachbody boards complete with a link to the AOTS segment and an admin removed the link (but left the post). Wonder what happened there...

PS: I'll miss you guys if OT gets disabled during E3. :(

Wow, interesting

Recovery drink (in this case, Syntha 6 protein shake) on rest day, yay or nay?

People that say nay: "recovery" drink is meant for recovery after a hard workout. Don't need to be extra stuff into your body on a non-workout day. Interestingly, although it's not the same drink, in the P90X2 nutrition guide it says the same for its recovery formula

People that say yay: protein is needed more muscles building, so it's pretty clear cut there. More importantly, muscles repair and grow when we are at rest - thus it's even more important to make sure we get the protein that we need. Furthermore, it's a supplement anyway ---- if the main diet is intact, the protein shake shouldn't be a problem

What do you guys think? I've been thinking about start drinking it twice everyday day (2 to 4 scoops is the recommended serving). I don't think it's that bad at all

NUTRITION FACTS for Syntha 6

Serving Size: 1 Rounded Scoop (44g)
Servings Per Container: about 30
Amount Per Serving Calories 190
Calories From Fat 50 % Daily Value Total Fat 6g 9% Saturated Fat 2g10% Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 60mg 20%
Sodium 160mg7%
Potassium 220mg6% Total Carbohydrate 13g4% Dietary Fiber 3g12% Sugars 2g Protein 22g 44%

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you weren't going to get the right amount of daily protein without it then yes, if you were then no. The most practical use of a protein shake is to get that super absorbable jolt of protein into you quickly in the 30 mins or so after a workout.

If you weren't going to get the right amount of daily protein without it then yes, if you were then no. The most practical use of a protein shake is to get that super absorbable jolt of protein into you quickly in the 30 mins or so after a workout.

The problem is trying to hit that higher number of protein per gram, right? Even without fat shredder that number is still ridiculously high. I haven't been counting at all, but I am wondering if increasing it (and actually NOT increasing it - just following the recommended daily intake) will help bulking up a bit, just a bit. My thinking is that my protein intake probably has been rather lower.

For example, and I just realized this. Syntha 6 for male recommends two scoops, 44g of protein, per serving, AND they recommend of taking it twice to four times a day. Since the first day of P90X, I have only been doing one scoop for 22g of protein.

And you are right about the post-work out. The other thing is consistency in diet - and, as much as there are remnants around my belly that kind of bother me, I am getting really skinny now, kind of bony actually. You know that pose for the progress photo we take, where we flex both of our arms? I can see my rib cages protruding. Ugh

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The problem is trying to hit that higher number of protein per gram, right? Even without fat shredder that number is still ridiculously high. I haven't been counting at all, but I am wondering if increasing it (and actually NOT increasing it - just following the recommended daily intake) will help bulking up a bit, just a bit. My thinking is that my protein intake probably has been rather lower.

For example, and I just realized this. Syntha 6 for male recommends two scoops, 44g of protein, per serving, AND they recommend of taking it twice to four times a day. Since the first day of P90X, I have only been doing one scoop for 22g of protein.

And you are right about the post-work out. The other thing is consistency in diet - and, as much as there are remnants around my belly that kind of bother me, I am getting really skinny now, kind of bony actually. You know that pose for the progress photo we take, where we flex both of our arms? I can see my rib cages protruding. Ugh
Well you clearly understand the principles at play, it sounds like you might need to just start counting your protein numbers! Just gonna plug www.myfitnesspal.com one more time...

OG Kush

Am curious how one would fit in a P90x workout with a traditional weightlifting schedule at the gym? Go ahead and do both with wild, reckless abandon?

What do you mean by "traditional weightlifting schedule"? Nothing wrong with adding a bench press/other chest exercises using weights and squats to your workouts. Infact I think it'll probably actually help.

LaneDS

Does the nutrition guide stay pretty similar for P90X to P90X2? Two weeks left of X, and starting X2 after, but I decided I am going to be very strict about diet and adhere to fat shredder as much as possible and want to start checking up on things.

KingGondo

Banned
Finished Week 7 yesterday (basically halfway done)!

My ARX/Legs & Back on Saturday was absolutely awesome. Draining as always, but I really brought it and had my best workouts yet. Pretty sure I cracked the 300-rep mark in ARX for the first time and again upped my pull-up count.

Thanks to everyone here for their support and encouragement. This thread has really helped me along.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Agh. 2 weeks into Insanity and I haven't lost anything. I need to get my weekend eating down but events keep coming up causing me to eat out.

Been stuck at 206 or so for a month.

KingGondo

Banned
Agh. 2 weeks into Insanity and I haven't lost anything. I need to get my weekend eating down but events keep coming up causing me to eat out.

Been stuck at 206 or so for a month.
Is it a matter of eating too much, or is it the type of stuff you're eating?

If it's an issue with gargantuan restaurant portion sizes, try to think of your dinner as "dinner + lunch for the next day."

Top Bottom