• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

CrankyJay

Banned
. The biggest thing for me was planning my breakfast and lunch ahead of time and almost never deviating. I also cut my soda intake majorly. That + portion control for dinner/snacks.

Yeah, I use the daily plate (livestrong) app and website and basically map out what I'm going to eat for an entire day. It really helps keep you on track. Down to 197.5 from a 213 start. Had a mini plateau at 200-202 but powered thru that after adjusting some things.

Ixian

As to those commenting on my weight, I don't really get it. My roommate suggested a body scan sometime soon to get a detailed body composition report, because most people are shocked when I say I'm close to 200lbs. I remember a couple years ago being on a date and the girl guessed something like 60 lbs south of what I weighed, so I think I might actually be a mutant.
You probably have an adamantium skeleton.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian! That is awesome work sir! Thanks for posting the pictures too because I think image results inspire the rest of us more than words likely can.

Time to work for those day 180 pictures, right? I think a second round will offer just as much in terms of body change as the first, only instead of losing weight you can expect to see a lot more muscle definition and tone... i.e. good luck and keep it up! Should make up for the phone too!
Thank you, and thanks for all your encouragement! Hell yeah on the day 180 pics man. Gonna bring it :D

I'm looking into this article on refining the schedule to be more in line with my new goals. Very interesting ideas especially the way they stagger ab ribber x in comparison. I'd still be supplementing a bit of cardio (hell, sometimes I just WANT to do plyo) but also eating more which I can certainly get behind :D

What I think I'm going to do is a week or two of regular old classic/lots of stretching, and attempt to get myself a cheap few dumbbells. I said this in my post of course but just to reiterate for anybody starting out, if making large muscle gains is among your goals, I can't recommend resistance bands- the amount of "weight" you pull even if you're using the right band for strength is very inconsistent. This matters little for toning up since you can just keep doing reps until you find the burn. But maxing out on 8 reps with the bands, every time, is a tricky proposition.

As to those commenting on my weight, I don't really get it. My roommate suggested a body scan sometime soon to get a detailed body composition report, because most people are shocked when I say I'm close to 200lbs. I remember a couple years ago being on a date and the girl guessed something like 60 lbs south of what I weighed, so I think I might actually be a mutant.

Your weight distribution more than anyone else I've seen in a fitness setting makes me sort of buy into somatotype theory :p I know it's a silly and outdated understanding of body types, but I honestly believe there's some genetic truth to it.
bXSPe.jpg

You strike me as a true mesomorph. Even at a shorter height and higher weight than me it's like your body is naturally configured for athletic performance. It's remarkable, really. In contrast I am definitely an ectomorph who put on a lot of weight around my midsection due to unhealthy habits and sedentary lifestyle (working for motherfucking Domino's in college). Prior to like age 17, I was so skinny that I couldn't even locate myself on a BMI index chart, and I ate like CRAZY- never even had to think about portion control which was a big thing I had to overcome when getting back into shape.

Congrats, Hawkian! Nice results! :D
Thank you!

And congrats Psychotext! I'm thinking it'll be worth it in the end buddy ;)

LaneDS

Thank you, and thanks for all your encouragement! Hell yeah on the day 180 pics man. Gonna bring it :D

I'm looking into this article on refining the schedule to be more in line with my new goals. Very interesting ideas especially the way they stagger ab ribber x in comparison. I'd still be supplementing a bit of cardio (hell, sometimes I just WANT to do plyo) but also eating more which I can certainly get behind :D

What I think I'm going to do is a week or two of regular old classic/lots of stretching, and attempt to get myself a cheap few dumbbells. I said this in my post of course but just to reiterate for anybody starting out, if making large muscle gains is among your goals, I can't recommend resistance bands- the amount of "weight" you pull even if you're using the right band for strength is very inconsistent. This matters little for toning up since you can just keep doing reps until you find the burn. But maxing out on 8 reps with the bands, every time, is a tricky proposition.

Your weight distribution more than anyone else I've seen in a fitness setting makes me sort of buy into somatotype theory :p I know it's a silly and outdated understanding of body types, but I honestly believe there's some genetic truth to it.
bXSPe.jpg

You strike me as a true mesomorph. Even at a shorter height and higher weight than me it's like your body is naturally configured for athletic performance. It's remarkable, really. In contrast I am definitely an ectomorph who put on a lot of weight around my midsection due to unhealthy habits and sedentary lifestyle (working for motherfucking Domino's in college). Prior to like age 17, I was so skinny that I couldn't even locate myself on a BMI index chart, and I ate like CRAZY- never even had to think about portion control which was a big thing I had to overcome when getting back into shape.

Thank you!

And congrats Psychotext! I'm thinking it'll be worth it in the end buddy ;)

Hm, I was really hoping for more of a xenomorph body type (reference materials below) so that is really disappointing :(

0SzhY.jpg

(Seriously though, great job, and let's work hard for those day 180 pictures along with the rest of this thread!)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
good god I did the first insanity second month yesterday.

holy shit. sean t has stopped his first month plan of raping you into shape and now it's been switched up to murder.

Any creatine uses on here? I missed three days of taking it due to slacking on ordering it from Amazon. Should I do another loading phase or just do a teaspoon today like I usually would?

Thanks, will do.

Also, thanks to whoever suggested eating a tablespoon of peanut butter before your workout. This really seems to have had an impact on my energy level.

What are you doing now since you have tried all the major Beachbody programs? Also, one tablespoon of PB straight with nothing? Sounds intriguing

What are you doing now since you have tried all the major Beachbody programs? Also, one tablespoon of PB straight with nothing? Sounds intriguing

I've been doing P90X again. On the last month starting today. This time around I bought a few more heavier weights so I've been taking it to the level where I'm REALLY feeling the burn on the 8th rep. I also have been playing around with the recovery weeks a bit by taking out both kenpos and one of the yogas and subbing in some Insanity routines.

Aside from that I've increased my protein intake quite a bit. I've been hovering around 184 for the last couple weeks and 190 is my goal. I probably won't get there by the end of this phase but oh well. I need to start figuring out what I'm going to do next.

That was me. :)

Thanks. My energy has been very consistant throughout the week since I've been doing it.

KingGondo

Banned
Thanks. My energy has been very consistant throughout the week since I've been doing it.
Good to hear. I started doing it because my workouts are after I get home from work, and my stomach is growling (but I don't want to eat a meal, either).

More progress to report, BTW. Weighed myself yesterday (rest day of Week 7) and I'm down to 209 (from 220). Gotta keep going, but I'm happy with the progress so far.

BeautifulMemory said:
How does the peanut butter work? Just eat it straight?
Yeah, I just eat a small spoonful of chunky PB 5-10 minutes before the workout. I haven't bonked yet, although my cardio health was pretty good before starting P90X.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Any creatine uses on here? I missed three days of taking it due to slacking on ordering it from Amazon. Should I do another loading phase or just do a teaspoon today like I usually would?
Mister.......... Potter.

What is the nutritional and muscle-building benefit of creatine as part of a fitness plan?

No seriously I'm asking. Sounds like it might be a good choice for my new goals and I know not much about it
KuGsj.gif

Mister.......... Potter.

What is the nutritional and muscle-building benefit of creatine as part of a fitness plan?

No seriously I'm asking. Sounds like it might be a good choice for my new goals and I know not much about it
KuGsj.gif

:)

Here's a decent rundown on it http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/creatine-side-effects-what-it-what-it-does

Creatine increases the body's ability to produce energy rapidly. With more energy, you can train harder and more often, producing faster results.

It's as simple as this: "If you can lift one or two more reps or 5 more pounds, your muscles will get bigger and stronger," says Chad Kerksick, Ph.D., assistant professor of exercise physiology at the University of Oklahoma.

One thing is almost certain: If you take creatine, you'll gain weight.

It'll happen quickly, says Paul Greenhaff, Ph.D., professor of muscle metabolism at the University of Nottingham in England. While the initial gain is water (about 2 to 4 pounds in the first week of supplementation), subsequent gains are muscle due to the increase in the workload you can handle.

Because creatine is an "osmotically active substance," it pulls water into your muscle cells, which increases protein synthesis, Kerksick says.

Studies in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise found that muscle fibers grow when a person takes creatine.

I've been taking it off and on since high school. I've definetly seen results from it. It's also very cheap. I can get 600g of it off Amazon for $16.

Sweet always learning something new! Peanut butter here I come! And yes Vastep I just wanted to make sure I read it right because sometimes things are too good to be true!

owlbeak

Week 2, Day 2 done! Sweating like a mofo! Thanks for this thread, because I feel like I have to report in every day and makes me accountable. Much easier working out every day with this thread and MFP to log my stuff.

I don't even really mind working out this week. Looking forward to it, kind of!

D23

Completed week 11 of Chest & Back (the last week of resistance training) and WOW i am blown away by my progress, i am by no mean trying to brag but i just want to motivate some of you guys that just started p90x. I barely can do 2 pull ups when i started p90x, but 11 weeks later i can pump 10 easily!

heres my stats
YIwqe.jpg

i can't wait finish it strong next week (recovery week is the last week) and post my before and after!!

just keep pushing play guys, and eat properly!

D23

Thanks, will do.

Also, thanks to whoever suggested eating a tablespoon of peanut butter before your workout. This really seems to have had an impact on my energy level.

peanut butter with wheat bread and banana, and u will feel like a Hulk during workout!!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks for the Creatine crash course HP!

Completed week 11 of Chest & Back (the last week of resistance training) and WOW i am blown away by my progress, i am by no mean trying to brag but i just want to motivate some of you guys that just started p90x. I barely can do 2 pull ups when i started p90x, but 11 weeks later i can pump 10 easily!

heres my stats
YIwqe.jpg

i can't wait finish it strong next week (recovery week is the last week) and post my before and after!!

just keep pushing play guys, and eat properly!

Nice! Where is that you're logging your numbers? I kind of don't want to print out another worksheet if I can help it, hahaha

Ixian

Nice! Where is that you're logging your numbers? I kind of don't want to print out another worksheet if I can help it, hahaha
I think you said you use an Android phone, right? It looks like there are some apps available for tracking your P90X progress (no official app like the one on the iPhone, though).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Pull-Ups never really got easier for me. I went from doing 0 to maybe 6 or 7 total. :p

My push-ups got a ton better though.

I think I'll do P90X1 again after Insanity.

owlbeak

Pull-Ups never really got easier for me. I went from doing 0 to maybe 6 or 7 total. :p

My push-ups got a ton better though.

I think I'll do P90X1 again after Insanity.
That's a big improvement though when you think about it. You're lifting your entire body weight, 150+ lbs, I assume. Going from zero to seven in just 90 days is a big deal. :)

LaneDS

Damn D23, that's a ton of push-ups. My numbers are certainly improved but there is no way I'm starting off with 35 on that workout. Good work!

Edit: also, reading Harry Potter's post on creatine kind of explains my lack of weight loss, somewhat. The Pharm Assault pre-workout drink contains creatine and I take a full scoop of that prior to just about every workout, so maybe that's why I'm getting more muscular but not really shedding the pounds like I'd like.

D23

i'd usually try to avoid creatine cuz i get bloated (water weight).. will take creatine if im bulking tho

OchreHand

Congrats to all those that finished P90x recently!! Hawkian, Guevara damn nice job. I officially start this Sat and i'm inspired.

I've been trying to get my meal plan for the next 90 days in order. Can someone give me pointers?

I'm 5'8" 138lbs, very skinny build. The Nutrition Guide puts me at Level 1/1800 calories and my goal is to bulk up more. I've been trying to get close to that 50/30/20 ratio but it's tough.

Huge thanks for those that recommended myfitnesspal. I hate counting calories/carbs, etc, but this takes the math out of it.

LaneDS

Can you import pre-made diet plans into that site? I want to be good about P90X2 and dieting, but man do I hate trying to plan that shit out (even with helpful websites making it so much easier).

Also, good luck on starting up the program!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Edit: also, reading Harry Potter's post on creatine kind of explains my lack of weight loss, somewhat. The Pharm Assault pre-workout drink contains creatine and I take a full scoop of that prior to just about every workout, so maybe that's why I'm getting more muscular but not really shedding the pounds like I'd like.
If I remember your diet correctly from when you posted it, you're not really getting a whole lot of calories (and a lot of them are just from milk and whey). It's possible that you would lose more weight by eating more. Have you ever posted in the weight loss thread? You might get some good suggestions in there, although there are some crazies in that thread.

LaneDS

If I remember your diet correctly from when you posted it, you're not really getting a whole lot of calories (and a lot of them are just from milk and whey). It's possible that you would lose more weight by eating more. Have you ever posted in the weight loss thread? You might get some good suggestions in there, although there are some crazies in that thread.

Ages ago I posted in the weight loss thread and actually used it much in the way I use this thread now as a good way to motivate myself and hopefully others. In fact, I am going to find my fat guy pictures and post those here for reference although they're not very relevant to P90X progress since the first 40 or so pounds lost came from just semi-random dieting and workouts at my local gym.

Here is the worst picture I could find of myself from maybe three years ago, somewhere around 240+ lbs: http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/LaneDS/Picture22001.jpg

And here is today, day 80 of P90X attempt 1 (I'll do proper day day 1/30/60/90 photos soon): http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/LaneDS/photo.jpg

This is an animated GIF of a bear getting down: http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/LaneDS/41180726.gif

Ages ago I posted in the weight loss thread and actually used it much in the way I use this thread now as a good way to motivate myself and hopefully others. In fact, I am going to find my fat guy pictures and post those here for reference although they're not very relevant to P90X progress since the first 40 or so pounds lost came from just semi-random dieting and workouts at my local gym.

Here is the worst picture I could find of myself from maybe three years ago, somewhere around 240+ lbs: http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/LaneDS/Picture22001.jpg

And here is today, day 80 of P90X attempt 1 (I'll do proper day day 1/30/60/90 photos soon): http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/LaneDS/photo.jpg

This is an animated GIF of a bear getting down: http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/LaneDS/41180726.gif

What a difference man. Great job. Looks like you carried a lot of weight in your hips in the first pic.

Btw, you're good at beards.

Log4Girlz

Amazing transformation. Not sure if I'm more envious of your physique or the bitchin beard.

D23

niceeee, im in the same day as u too man!!
were gonna finish it strong

Ixian

I need a god damned nap.

Woke up about an hour and a half earlier than I normally do this morning and wasn't able to go back to sleep. Today's going to be a longer workout due to it being my first time with Chest, Shoulders and Triceps which means a lot of pausing and correcting form. And then Abs after! Still hyped though. Just tired.

Also got my Chin-Up Max today and it's awesome! Can't wait to make use of it in an actual workout. :)

Time to hit the mats.

Edit: God damn Lane, looking good.

Top Bottom